Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

Uhh. Saint, I don't personally have an answer to Three's question but I feel like Ruk might have some idea, though being from a desert culture it may vary a bit. Should I make a check of some sort?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Go for it within reason - this is the sort of thing I'm happy for you to improvise, no roll needed.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Hey all, sorry for the delay from me. I've been stuck on a jury trial since Tuesday. It should wrap up today, however, so I hope to post tonight.
    Dergosh the Loud Male Half-Orc Cleric 2 | HP: 18/18 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +4 melee 1d8+3/x2, +3 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--detect magic, guidance, resistance, resistance; 1st- bless, command D (DC 14), shield of faith, summon monster I
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

While we're waiting, for those of you who've been busy, a couple of quick reminders -

- It's about a few hours from dawn, i.e. once the fey head off or leave you be you'll be able to catch a couple of hours' sleep before the next day officially starts.

- The bandit camp is about half a mile to a mile off, you can assume you'll be able to find the place, so it now comes down to how you plan to take the place on. Scouting the place out is possible, which I'd be saying at this point could happen one of two ways:

(1) Send someone in slowly over a period of time to do a full circuit of the place before returning to set up for battle. This will take time - quite a while after dawn - and the odds are higher than you won't catch the whole group there at once as a result - the reason being that, as said, about half the bandit camp heads out hunting fairly regularly, and if they're all present at the camp to sleep each night, you could reasonably assume that about half of them will head out around dawn. Under this option, the Move Silently and/or Hide checks will be at a bonus beyond what they are.
    (2) Send someone to do a quick recon of the place, which will take less time - you'd be able to hit them right on dawn, and odds are better that the whole group is there - but the Move Silently and Hide checks will have either no bonuses or slight penalties.

Of course, if you have some other approach in mind, now might be the time to discuss it.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Orc in the Playground

I think we should ambush half of them, then take on the other half. It's safer than fighting all eight at once.

Whoever does the scouting should take the Elixir of Sneaking. It's a +10 to Move Silently for one hour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    I think we should ambush half of them, then take on the other half. It's safer than fighting all eight at once.

Whoever does the scouting should take the Elixir of Sneaking. It's a +10 to Move Silently for one hour.
    I'm for this plan. Gakan or I should do the sneaking probably.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

... I posted an OOC post in the IC thread. Sorry!

Moving the post to here:
    "Goodbye Jiminy, goodbye Puff.

Jokes aside, I have some time today so I think I'm going to reread the in-character thread and start taking notes down. Background information, character information, things like that. I'll post them in a Google Doc, so we have an easier time finding important information.

I should have an in-character post up soon."
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-06-17 at 08:59 AM.
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

Screwed up making the spot roll in the other thread, and they can't be edited in, so:
    Spot roll: (1d20+1)[4]

EDIT: One day Three will roll above ten on a Spot roll.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-06-17 at 09:00 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Well, I can save some rolls by indicating nothing else jumps out at you from the bushes, it's a quiet few hours. So you're there, an hour or so before dawn, ready to go, next day and whatnot.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, I can save some rolls by indicating nothing else jumps out at you from the bushes, it's a quiet few hours. So you're there, an hour or so before dawn, ready to go, next day and whatnot.
    Oh good, no more man-eating plants
    -
    Turns out both Happs and Oleg have said the kobolds don't like the forest. I wonder what they were doing there.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

So unless there's a vehement objection otherwise I guess we'll go with Ruk making the recon around the camp under option (1), i.e. do a slow recon of the place taking his time about it. If that's what the plan is, I can rule Ruk can take 10 on the Hide and Move Silently check since he's not in a hurry and he's being very careful about it - that would give him a Move Silently check of 10 and a Hide check of 18, subject to any other modifiers that apply to the circumstances.

EDIT: Forgot the Elixir of Sneaking, which would raise the figures to 20 and 18, respectively. Do you folks want to go with that?
    Last edited by Saintheart; 2018-06-18 at 08:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Troll in the Playground

Sounds good to me. Do we know if kjelfalconer is ever going to come back, btw?
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up on the kobold stealth plan.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

I'm happy with that plan.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

And while we're waiting for others to chime in on the plan, herewith my spoiler'd wall of text known as "How you can use monster components in magic item creation, Version 1.0". There's a bit of stuff to think about, take some time by all means." This thing turned out a bit bigger and larger in scope than I originally planned, but I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eye of newt, toe of frog, sword of power
    A module for casterless magic item creation under D&D 3.5 edition

(Special thanks and appreciation to PairO’Dice Lost, who provided invaluable feedback, suggestions, and advice on how to construct this module.)

Introduction
    The Problem
    The Helmet of Rostam. The Armor of Ajax. Apollo’s bow. The head of the Medusa. Cadmus and the dragon’s teeth. The anatomy of fallen monsters used as the components of magic items has been a staple of fantasy settings for decades, if not right back into myth.

But D&D 3.5 tends to gloss over this element of the creation of magic items (abstracted as gold piece costs in magic items) or outright does the idea horribly (Dragoncraft items in the Draconomicon.) Crafting magic items in 3.5 is exclusively the domain of casters, as only they can qualify for the [Item Creation] feats that allow one to actually build a glowing longsword, and magic items themselves often have prerequisites that include spells, which makes this even more a caster-biased option. Finally, 3.5 rules provide no real synergy between creating something like a magic sword and the Craft checks that would seem most germane to it: you can make a masterwork weapon with a good roll on Craft (Weaponsmithing), but to make even a +1 longsword, a caster just has to be 5th level and take Craft Magic Arms and Armor -- without any chance of failure.

Compare this to R.A. Salvatore’s first novel, The Crystal Shard, built under second edition D&D rules and featuring one of the most iconic moments in D&D: as Bruenor Battlehammer, a dwarf with no magical ability at all, creates the masterwork of his life one moonlit night by forging Aegis-Fang – a beautifully balanced returning magical warhammer, which he then gives to Wulfgar.

The Solution
    The intent of this homebrew module is to provide D&D 3.5 players with an alternative method of obtaining the spells which are prerequisites to creation of magic items, and an outright alternative to casters making a magic item at all, without confining the trick down to an artificer.

This homebrew is modular, designed to bolt onto the present creation system rather than overhauling it. This is done by allowing substitutes for prerequisites in creating magic items, as follows:

• Components of certain monsters’ corpses can be used as substitutes for spell prerequisites in creating magic items. This is achieved by making Craft (Alchemy) and Heal skill checks as set out below.
    • Reaching given ranks in certain skills substitute for having a particular [Item Creation] feat. These skills and Item Creation feats are set out below.
    • Character level substitutes for Caster Level in relation to magic item prerequisites.

Finally, I have added a suite of optional feats appended to this module – [Monstrous Creation] feats -- though a non-caster crafter need not take a single one of them in order to build a decent variety of magic items. These feats serve double duty in that they directly provide more options to crafting and also make options for crafting available earlier.

However, let’s first talk about how it all works.

Substituting Monster Components for Spells
    There is a world of difference between casting a spell and producing a spell’s effect from a dead creature’s anatomy. As a result, there is some groundwork required – in picking which monster and what anatomy from that monster is to be used in replacing the spell prerequisite, and then in preparing that biological matter for use in the item creation process.

What can be used as a substitute for a spell prerequisite in a magic item?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spell prerequisites can be extracted from almost any monster, but some types and subtypes of monsters are almost impossible to extract components from without dedicated study. It is not possible to extract a component from a living monster, or an undead monster that has not been destroyed and/or reduced to 0 hitpoints.

Spell prerequisites can be extracted from the following types of creatures: Dragons, Fey, Giants, Magical Beasts, Monstrous Humanoids, Plants, and Vermin.

Spell prerequisites can be extracted from the following types of creatures providing the extractor possesses the appropriate [Monstrous Creation] feat described below: Aberration, Construct, Elemental, Ooze, Outsider, and Undead.

If a creature has the Incorporeal or Shapechanger subtype, spell prerequisites cannot be extracted from the creature unless the extractor possesses the appropriate [Monstrous Creation] feat.

Spell prerequisites cannot be extracted from the spell slots of a spellcaster who prepares their spells, be they arcane or divine. These spells are not truly part of the monster’s biological makeup, but rather are boons granted by their gods or arcane rituals which focus and direct magical energy.

Spell prerequisites cannot be extracted from the spell slots of a spontaneous caster, be they arcane or divine, unless the extractor possesses the appropriate [Monstrous Creation] feat – and then, prerequisites may only be extracted on the conditions that feat imposes. While sorcerers in particular are frequently said to have dragon blood in their heritage which in part powers their innate spellcasting abilities, in practice these biological aspects cannot be narrowed down sufficiently unless there is some other feature to their makeup that magnifies that heritage; see the feats section below for details.

While components can also be extracted from creatures with the [animal] or [humanoid] type, using the components presents its own challenges, described below.

Assuming that you can extract components from the monster in question, things that can be used as substitutes for spells include:

• Components of a monster with an Extraordinary (Ex), Supernatural (Su), or Spell-like (Sp) ability that matches the spell prerequisite, e.g. a pixie’s spell-like ability to cast entangle where a magic item requires that the creator be able to cast the spell entangle in order to make the item.
    • Components of a monster with a very similar Ex/Su/Sp ability of equal or higher level to that of the spell prerequisite, e.g. chain lightning or call lightning instead of lightning bolt (but not ball lightning, because it's a persistent ball of electricity instead of an instant stroke.)
    • Components of a monster with an Ex/Su/Sp ability of equal or higher level with a matching subschool or descriptor to the spell prerequisite, e.g. Wall of Fire for Fire Shield.
    • Components of a monster with an Ex/Su/Sp ability of equal or higher level, with a matching school and no thematically-inappropriate descriptors to the spell prerequisite. What is thematically inappropriate is solely within the DM’s judgment, but as an example, if a creature has a Spell-like ability to cast Fireball, generally this will not serve as a substitute for a spell prerequisite of Tiny Hut, even if they’re both level 3 spells of the Evocation school.

Due to extensive experimentation among item crafters, some “recipes” for substitution are well-known. As such, the anatomy of monsters with certain natural immunities can be reliably called on as substitutes for particular spells. “Natural immunity” for these purposes is an immunity listed as one of a monster's special qualities, or specifically noted in its explanatory text. It does not include an immunity conferred by a monster’s type, but does include an immunity conferred by its subtype.

• Components from a monster with a natural immunity to an energy type – fire, cold, acid, sonic, or electricity -- always suffice as a substitute for a spell prerequisite of Resist Energy or Protection From Energy to that corresponding energy type.
    • Components from a monster with a natural immunity to critical hits always suffice as a spell substitute for the spells limited wish or miracle in a magic item that confers light, medium, or heavy fortification to its wearer.
    • Components from a monster with a natural immunity to magic always suffice as a spell substitute for spell immunity or spell resistance.

In the same way, it has been discovered that the anatomy of certain monsters can be reliably used as substitutes for certain spells. The known and reliable substitutions are:

• Components from a monster which regenerates can be used as a substitute for regenerate.
    • Components from a monster with the [Air] subtype can be used as a substitute for fly.
    • Components from a monster with the [Water] or [Aquatic] subtype can be used as a substitute for water breathing or swim.
    • Components from a monster with the [Giant] type can be used as a substitute for enlarge person.
    • Components from a vampire can be used as a substitute for all vampiric touch spells.
    • Components from a Shadow, Shadow Dragon, Shadow Demon, an outsider native to the Plane of Shadow, or a monster with the Shadow Creature template, can be used as a substitute for any spell prerequisite required to create a magic item that confers the Shadow quality on its user.

It will be apparent this is not an exhaustive list of spells or monsters; as said, these are reliable “recipes” that crafters have known about for generations. It may be possible to find the same spell can be substituted from another monster. Guidance on how to make such substitutions is described further below.

How do I use a component as a substitute for a spell prerequisite?
    There are two steps in using parts of a monster’s corpse as a substitute for a spell prerequisite:

Step One: Extracting the desired component/s from the creature’s corpse.
    Step Two: Preparing the extracted component/s for use in the creation of the magic item.

Step One: Extraction

1. You need enough material to work with.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To function as a substitute for a spell prerequisite, you must collect enough of the monster’s anatomy for consumption during in the creation process. Some magic items may need the massive heart of an adult dragon; others, the tiniest shavings of pixie bones. The amount of material is calculated as follows:

Mass required = (level of spell to be substituted x Caster Level of Magic Item)/4 pounds.

(Note that D&D doesn’t consistently provide body weights for monsters. Where there isn’t a weight given by the monster’s explanatory text, it will be up to the DM to estimate, with a guide being that the average human being weighs about 180 pounds.)

If the player specifies s/he is extracting a component that is, in the DM’s judgment, thematically appropriate to the spell to be substituted (e.g. using a silver dragon’s wings as a substitute for feather fall, because a silver dragon can cast that spell as a (Sp) ability and wings are thematically appropriate to a spell about slowing something falling out of the sky), that component counts as three times its normal weight for the purposes of accumulating enough mass to substitute for the spell.

2. You have to put a magical quarantine in place.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Limited spell effects can be operative during the process of extracting the component, either on the component itself, the tools used to extract it, or the extractor. The extraction process involves considerable risk of contaminating the delicate magical balance within the component.

The cumulative bonuses of all magic in effect and granting a bonus to skill checks cannot exceed a total of +5. “All magic” includes magic items, Spell-like abilities, Supernatural abilities, Extraordinary abilities, and magic spells that directly or indirectly boost stats, level, or skill checks.

For example, Tordek has a Headband of Intellect +4, and has cast the spell Divine Insight to afford him a +1 bonus to his next skill check. This amounts to a total bonus of +3 on skill checks, and therefore he can proceed to extract the component. However, were he to have cast the spell Guidance of the Avatar instead, the total bonus would be +22, which is too vast a set of magical energies in effect. He cannot extract the component until the spell expires.

No magical tool may be used to extract a component, though masterwork tools, being nonmagical, may be used.

After the component is extracted, spells and magic items may be used as normal; in particular, Gentle Repose or Preserve Organ may be cast to preserve components extracted in this manner.

3. You have to successfully extract the component.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Extracting components from a monster’s corpse requires a Heal skill check. The magic item’s creator need not make this check. Again, this is as distinct from preparing the components for consumption in the item creation process. Also, remember that unless you have the correct prerequisite feat, certain creature types and subtypes cannot be extracted from, regardless of their DC.

The base Heal DC to extract a component is 10. This base DC is increased by each of the following qualities or features the creature has, cumulative:
    Spoiler
    Show

Feature DC Increase Reason
    Damage Resistance +2 Harder to penetrate skin
    Natural Armor bonus +2 Harder to penetrate skin
    Regeneration +2 Harder to keep incisions open
    Immunity to critical hits +3 Anatomy is difficult to discern
    Shapechanger Subtype and/or alternate form +3 Anatomy is variable
    Poison, disease, and/or paralysis attack (especially if the creature’s special attacks are being used as spell substitutes) +3 Dangerous to extract
    Gaze attack (if visual apparatus of the creature is being extracted) +3 Dangerous to extract
    Energy drain, ability damage and/or ability drain +3 Respiratory system is very complex
    Blindsight and/or Blindsense (if visual or auditory apparatus of the creature is being extracted) +3 Unconventional sensory organs
    Telepathy and/or Psionic (if the creature’s brain is being extracted) +4 Brain is highly complex
    Incorporeal Subtype and/or Gaseous Form +5 Anatomy has more than one physical state

For example: a night hag, with its disease attack (+3), ability to change shape (+3) and DR 10/cold iron and magic (+2), would require a DC 18 Heal check in order to extract a component to substitute for a sleep spell prerequisite.

If a creature has more than one feature in the same category, it is not counted twice. A creature that has a poison and a paralysis attack only increases the Heal DC by +3, not +6.

The person making the Heal check can access bonuses by way of skill synergies and thematic choices as below:
    Spoiler
    Show

5 skill ranks in the Knowledge skill applicable to the monster: +2 to Heal check
    10 skill ranks in the Knowledge skill applicable to the monster: +4 to Heal check
    15 skill ranks in the Knowledge skill applicable to the monster: +6 to Heal check

If the player specifies s/he is extracting a component that is, in the DM’s judgment, thematically appropriate to the magic item sought to be created, it confers a +4 bonus to the Heal check. However, to confer this bonus, the component intended to function as a spell substitute must match the item sought to be created as follows:

Item Category Matching item from creature Examples
    Potions Something sanguineous Blood, ichor, sap, sweat, tears, saliva
    Rods, Wands and Staves Something skeletal or rigid Spine, bone
    Scrolls Something sanguineous or which can function as a qull Blood, ink, a feather, claw, beak, talon
    Magic Armor Something epidermal Skin, scales, fur, hide
    Magic Sword Something in the nature of a slashing or piercing natural weapon Claw, fang, tooth, spine, stinger
    Magic Bow Something in the nature of a monster’s sinews for the bowstring Back or leg tendon, rawhide, gut, spidersilk
    Magic Arrows Something that can operate as fletchings Feathers, fins, bristly fur, leaves
    All other magic items Something thematic to the magic item to be made A copper dragon’s scales for a Necklace of Copper Dragon Scales

For example, a player’s character is about to extract biological components from an Ettercap for the purposes of substituting its (Ex) poison ability for a spell of Poison in a magic item. The player specifies that the character is extracting the ettercap’s fangs in order to make a venomous dagger (see MoF for details of the venomous weapon quality). Since fangs are matched to a dagger, the DM rules that the character’s Heal check to extract them has a +4 bonus. The character could have simply extracted the ettercap’s internal organs which produce the poison, but in this particular case as no intended magic item was specified, there would be no +4 to the check.

However, there is one drawback to this bonus: if granted, the extracted component cannot be used in the creation of any magic item other than the one specified by the player when extracting the component. For example, if our player decided later that he didn’t want to make a Venomous dagger and instead just wanted to scribe a scroll of Poison, the ettercap’s fangs could not be used for that magic item. Different body parts serve or are suited to different purposes, and this is as true of monster anatomy as human.

4. You have to prepare the component for use or preserve it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A biological component must be prepared for use in magic item creation within 24 hours of extracting it from the monster's corpse. After that the component loses such fragile magical energies as it had and becomes useless, nothing more than corrupted meat at best. This time limit can be extended by preserving the component by some manner, be it either magical or otherwise. Gentle Repose, Preserve Organ, or similar spells suffice for this purpose.

Step Two: Preparation
    Having successfully extracted the component, it is time to prepare it for use. This preparation must be carried out before the process of magic item creation begins, but does not have to be carried out by the creator of the magic item.

The process of preparation takes 1 hour for each pound of the component extracted. Unlike extraction, the process of preparation may be spread out over time in the same way a magic item’s creation can be spread out over time.

1. It’s all the spell prerequisites or none.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If a magic item has more than one prerequisite spell for its creation, each of the prerequisite spells must be substituted with a separate component from a monster. A caster cannot supply one spell in the same process as a component is substituted for a spell: the flickerings of magic are too delicate to withstand the resonance of another spell interfering in the item’s creation.

2. You have to set up another magical quarantine.
    Spoiler
    Show
    As with extraction, limited spell effects can be operative during the process of preparing the component, either on the component, the tools, or the preparer of the component. The preparation process involves even greater risk of contamination of the delicate magical balance of the component.

Any spells used to preserve the component, such as Gentle Repose or Preserve Organ must expire before the component can be prepared for use.
    The cumulative bonuses of all magic in effect and granting a bonus to the Craft (Alchemy) check cannot exceed a total of +5. “All magic” includes magic items, Spell-like abilities, Supernatural abilities, Extraordinary abilities, and magic spells that directly or indirectly boost stats, level, or skill checks.

For example, Tordek has a Headband of Intellect +4, and has cast the spell Divine Insight to afford him a +1 bonus to his next skill check. This amounts to a total bonus of +3 on the skill check, and therefore he can proceed to process the component. However, were he to have cast the spell Guidance of the Avatar instead, the total bonus would be +22, which is too vast a set of magical energies in effect. He cannot process the component until the spell wears off.

No magical tool may be used to prepare a component, though masterwork tools, being nonmagical, may be used. After the component is prepared, however, spells and magic items may be used as normal.

3. You have to successfully prepare the component.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Preparing a component for use requires a Craft (Alchemy) check (one check per component, if there are multiple spells to be substituted). The DC for each check is as follows:
    Spoiler: DC checks for Craft (Alchemy)
    Show

Situation Craft (Alchemy) DC
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a spell exactly matching the required spell 5+ Magic Item’s CL
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a spell very similar to the required spell, and the ability is equal spell level to the required spell 10+ Magic Item’s CL
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a spell very similar to the spell required, and the ability is higher spell level to the required spell 10+Magic Item’s CL +2 per level of difference between the monster’s ability and the spell required.
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a matching subschool or descriptor to the required spell, and the ability is equal spell level to the required spell 15+Magic Item’s CL
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a matching subschool or descriptor to the spell required, and the ability is higher spell level to the required spell 15 +Magic Item’s CL +4 per level of difference between the monster’s ability and the spell required.
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a matching school and no thematically-inappropriate descriptors to the spell required, and the ability is equal spell level to the spell required 20+Magic Item’s CL
    Monster has a Su/Ex/Sp ability with a matching school and no thematically-inappropriate descriptors to the spell required, and the ability’s spell is higher level to the spell required 20+Magic Item’s CL+6 per level of difference between the monster’s ability and the spell required.
    Monster has a Su/Sp/Ex ability with a lower CL than the Magic Item’s CL +1 to DC per point of difference in CL, in addition to any other DC set out in this table.
    Monster is of the [animal] type, and has no other type or subtype +30 to DC, minus the HD of the creature which provided the component, to a minimum of 0.
    Monster is of the [humanoid] type, and has no other type or subtype +30 to DC, minus the HD of the creature which provided the component, to a minimum of 0.
    Monster regenerates, and the spell to be substituted is regenerate 25
    Monster has the [Air] subtype, and the spell to be substituted is fly 25
    Monster has the [Water] or [Aquatic] subtype, and the spell to be substituted is water breathing or swim 25
    Monster is a vampire, and the spell to be substituted is normal, Greater, or Lesser vampiric touch 25
    Monster is a Shadow, Shadow Dragon, Shadow Demon, an outsider native to the Plane of Shadow, or has the Shadow Creature template, and the spell to be substituted is required for a magic item that confers the Shadow quality 25
    Monster has a natural immunity (other than an immunity conferred by its type) to fire, cold, acid, sonic, or electricity, and the spell to be substituted is Resist Energy or Protection From Energy to that corresponding energy type 25
    Monster has a natural immunity to critical hits and the spell to be substituted is limited wish or miracle in a magic item that confers light, medium, or heavy fortification 32
    Monster has a natural immunity to magic and the spell to be substituted is spell immunity or spell resistance 25

Once preparation is complete, the monster component is then available for use in crafting of a magic item as a substitute for that spell. Again, if the DM awarded a +4 bonus at extraction for a thematic component, the prepared monster component cannot be used to create any magic item other than the one specified at extraction.

The component is fully consumed as a spell would be in the creation of the magic item. The Heal and Craft (Alchemy) checks do not have to be carried out by the magic item’s creator.

Creating other spell substitutions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Given how many spells which serve as prerequisites for magic items (and how many magic items there are) it isn’t feasible to set out every possible substitution that might be made for a given spell (or vice versa). However, there are limits to creating other substitutions than those provided above:

Spoiler
    Show
    (1) If the effects of a prerequisite spell entirely or generally match that of a creature's:
    • movement speed (such as a flight speed for fly or overland flight)
    • special attack (such as a poisonous bite for poison or poisoned needles or a [cold] breath weapon for freezing fog or cone of cold)
    • special quality (such as energy resistance for resist energy or protection from energy or Amphibious for water breathing or fins to feet)

--then components successfully extracted from the creature may be used to substitute for the spell with a DC 10 + Caster Level of the Magic Item Craft (Alchemy) check.

(2) If the effects of a prerequisite spell grant benefits similar to those afforded by a creature’s
    • size (such as being Large, as with enlarge person or Huge, as with giant size)
    • composition (such as a stone golem, in the case of stoneskin or an ooze in the case of amorphous form)
    • type (such as Plant, for neutralise poison or Dragon for scintillating scales)
    • subtype (such as magic circle against evil for Archon, or alter self for Shapechanger)

--then components successfully extracted from the creature may be used to substitute for the spell with a DC 15 + Caster Level of the Magic Item Craft (Alchemy) check.

(3) If a prerequisite spell’s title is strongly associated with a particular creature, for example:
    • owl’s wisdom
    • fox’s cunning
    • spider climb
    • ghoul touch
    • sirine’s grace
    • wail of the banshee

--then components successfully extracted from the creature named in the title of the spell may be used to substitute for the spell with a DC 10 + Caster Level of the Magic Item Craft (Alchemy) check.

In general, the guiding principle is: if a spell duplicates something special a monster naturally is, or can naturally do, that monster’s anatomy should be able to substitute for that spell.

Crafting Magic Items without caster levels
    While a caster with the appropriate [Item Creation] feats can acquire and use substitutes for prerequisite spells under these rules, non-casters can also create magic items via application of skills.

Generally the DMG/SRD’s rules on creation of magic items apply where not altered by these rules. In particular, the requirements of creation time, gold piece costs, and XP expenditures common to the creation of most magic items remain. Magic items frequently contain prerequisites: absent any exceptions made by this module, a non-caster crafter must otherwise meet the prerequisites of the magic item he intends to create per the default rules for item creation.

The following modifications to item creation rules apply:
    Spoiler
    Show

• A character crafting a magic item can substitute prerequisite spells with monster components using this module's rules. The crafter may extract or prepare components himself, or have other members of his party contribute these components. Once again, if a magic item has multiple prerequisite spells, all of the spell prerequisites to the magic item must be substituted with monster components. A caster cannot contribute a spell to a magic item where a monster component is being used in the same item, and neither can a magic item contribute a spell.
    • Where a magic item has a prerequisite Caster Level, the character may use his character level as a substitute for that prerequisite. For example, if a magic item has a prerquisite of “Caster Level 12”, a 12th level fighter would satisfy that prerequisite – as would a Ranger 3/Paladin 9. Certain [Monstrous Creation] feats allow moderate bonuses to character level for the purposes of this check.
    • Where a magic item has a prerequisite [Item Creation] feat, the character may use his ranks in certain skills as set out in the table below as a substitute for that prerequisite feat:

Item Creation Feat Skill and prerequisite ranks
      Scribe Scroll 4 skill ranks in Forgery or Decipher Script
      Brew Potion 6 skill ranks in Craft (Alchemy) or Survival
      Create Wondrous Item 6 skill ranks in Craft (Jeweller) or Craft (Alchemy)
      Craft Magic Arms and Armor 8 skill ranks in Craft (Weaponsmithing) or Craft (Armorsmithing)
      Craft Wand 8 skill ranks in Craft (Woodworking) or Craft (Jeweller)
      Craft Rod 12 skill ranks in Craft (Metalwork) or Craft (Weaponsmithing)
      Craft Staff 15 skill ranks in Craft (Woodworking) or Craft (Bowmaking)
      Forge Ring 15 skill ranks in Craft (Metalworking) or Craft (Jeweller)

Monstrous Creation Feats
    This module creates a new category of feats called [Monstrous Creation] feats. These feats may be taken by casters or non-casters as according to their prerequisites below.

[Monstrous Creation] feats have an effect upon the minimum skill ranks at which prerequisite [Item Creation] feats can be substituted by a non-caster. For each [Monstrous Creation] feat a character has, the minimum skill rank for substituting an [Item Creation] feat is reduced by 1.

For example, Bartok the fighter has 6 skill ranks in Craft (Weaponsmithing). He also has 2 [Monstrous Creation] feats, Idiosyncratic Crafter and Craft from Transient Anatomy. Each of these feats reduces the minimum skill ranks for qualification by 1. Hence, he qualifies to substitute Craft Magic Arms and Armor for his skill in Craft (Weaponsmithing), which would ordinarily require 8 skill ranks to access.

The list of feats:

Craft from Alien Anatomy [Monstrous Creation]
    Your interests in the biology of creatures have extended to bizarre and entirely foreign forms of life, from both this plane and others.
    Benefit: You are able to extract components from monsters of the [Aberration], [Ooze], and [Outsider] types.
    Normal: Components can only be extracted from monsters of the Dragon, Fey, Giant, Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid, Plant, and Vermin types.

Craft from Exotic Anatomy [Monstrous Creation]
    You are not satisfied with mastering the biology of the naturally magical monsters of the world. You have invested time and study into learning how to coax magical forces from artificial and primal forms of life.
    Benefit: You are able to extract components from monsters of the [Construct], [Elemental], and [Undead] types.
    Normal: Components can only be extracted from monsters of the Dragon, Fey, Giant, Magical Beast, Monstrous Humanoid, Plant, and Vermin types.

Craft from Monsterblooded Anatomy [Monstrous Creation]
    You have taken a horrifying interest in the capacity of humanoids with the blood of monsters in them to provide components for magic items.
    Prerequisites: Dark Surgeon, character must be evil
    Benefit: You may extract components for the purpose of substituting spells from spontaneous casters who have one or more of the following features:
    • A [Heritage] feat
    • A [Bloodline] feat
    • At least one level in Fiend-Blooded
    • A Dragonpact
    However, you may only extract components for the purpose of substituting a prerequisite spell with a Su/Sp/Ex ability which one of these features grants, or an additional spell the feature adds to the spontaneous caster’s spell list. You may not access the spontaneous caster’s spell list otherwise. For example, a humanoid monster sorcerer has Fey Legacy, a [Heritage] feat that grants Confusion, Dimension Door, and Summon Nature’s Ally V as Spell-like abilities. Components can be extracted from this monster for the purposes of substitutions consistent with these three spells under the rules. The sorcerer’s own spells of Glitterdust and Magic Missile could not serve as components to substitute for those spells – however, if the effect of the feat was to add those spells to the sorcerer’s spell list, they could so serve as such components. The DM may allow other monster-themed feats or class features to qualify for extraction from spontaneous casters. The general guideline is that a spontaneous spellcaster without more by way of a feat or similar cannot be extracted from – even allowing for their monstrous heritages, spontaneous spellcasters’ anatomies do not manifest anything extractable without something that concentrates their heritage, i.e. a feat, appropriate levels, or pacts with dragons, etc.
    Normal: You cannot extract components from a spellcaster for the purposes of substituting prerequisite spells drawn from their spell lists.

Craft from Transient Anatomy [Monstrous Creation]
    Your mastery of anatomy has reached the point of being able to find the tiniest, infinitesimal components of creatures whose biology is wholly ephemeral.
    Benefit: You are able to extract components from monsters with the [Incorporeal] and/or [Shapechanger] subtypes.
    Normal: Components cannot be extracted from monsters with the [Incorporeal] or [Shapechanger] subtype.

Dark Surgeon [Monstrous Creation]
    Like Frankenstein, you have laboured in secret and in the shadows over years to perfect your dark craft. Shunned by polite society and even your fellow alchemists, you have reached what you believe is the apogee of your art: the igniting of magical forces from the bodies of humanoids.
    Prerequisites: Idiosyncratic Crafter, character must be evil
    Benefit: You do not incur the +30 increase to DC on Craft (Alchemy) checks when preparing components extracted from monsters of the [humanoid] type, but you also incur a +5 increase to DC on all Heal checks when preparing components extracted from all monsters apart from the [Humanoid] type.

Extract Life Essence [Monstrous Creation]
    In the most ephemeral biology, at the most fundamental building blocks of monsters, you have discovered the key to distilling the very energy of life itself.
    Prerequisites: Craft from Transient Anatomy
    Benefit: When preparing a component for use in a magic item, the component provides 20% of the XP required for the creation of the magic item.
    Normal: Magic items often contain a prerequisite of XP that must be provided by the creator of the magic item.
    Special: This feat cannot be used in conjunction or combination with any [Item Creation] feat which reduces a magic item’s XP costs, directly or indirectly, whether the holder of this feat or not is the item crafter.

Gestalt Crafter [Monstrous Creation]
    Where others seek to create magic items from a minimum of monster components, you have found great benefit in diversifying the harmony of magical energies singing through the items you create.
    Prerequisite: One other [Monstrous Creation] feat.
    Benefit: If you successfully extract, successfully prepare, and then create a magic item with, twice the number of monster components normally required to substitute all prerequisite spells for that item, the GP cost for creating that item is reduced by 50%, and the time taken to create the magic item is halved.
    If you successfully extract, successfully prepare, and then create a magic item with, four times the number of monster components normally required to substitute all prerequisite spells for that item, the GP cost for creating that item is reduced by 75%, and the time taken to create the magic item is halved.
    Special: This feat cannot be used in conjunction with or combination with any [Item Creation] feat which reduces a magic item’s costs, directly or indirectly.

Gifted Crafter [Monstrous Creation]
    When it comes to blending monster components and magical items, you just seem to have the touch.
    Benefit: Your character level is taken to be two levels higher for the purpose of assessing whether your character level equals a magic item’s prerequisite Caster Level in accordance with the rules above.
    Normal: When substituting a prerequisite Caster Level under these rules, normally the item crafter’s unaltered character level must meet the prerequisite.

Idiosyncratic Crafter [Monstrous Creation]
    There are certain situations where you are best able to attune to the magical forces involved in extracting and processing monster components.
    Benefit: Choose one of the below set of circumstances. Your Heal and/or Craft (Alchemy) checks have bonuses of +3 for the purposes of extracting and preparing monster components for magic item creation in those situations.
    Dawncrafter: You commence extraction of a monster component, or commence preparation of an extracted monster component, at sunrise.
    Moonknife: You commence and complete extraction of a monster component, or commence and complete preparation of an extracted monster component, between sunset and sunrise.
    Lab Rat: You commence and complete extraction of a monster component, or commence and complete preparation of an extracted monster component, in a well-prepared laboratory set up for surgery or alchemy.
    Naturalist: You commence and complete extraction of a monster component, or commence and complete preparation of an extracted monster component, in pristine natural surroundings, e.g. a clear waterfall in the wilderness, a mountain crag, a cave uninhabited by animals. The precise definition of pristine natural surroundings is a matter solely for DM adjudication.
    The DM may allow other situations to qualify for these bonuses in line with the above circumstances.

Master Crafter [Monstrous Creation]
    Talent, skill, hard labour, and insight all blend together in you to allow you to create prodigious works well beyond the reach of other crafters of your calibre.
    Prerequisite: Gifted Crafter [Monstrous Creation], any one other [Monstrous Creation] feat.
    Benefit: Your character level is taken to be four levels higher for the purpose of assessing whether your character level equals a magic item’s prerequisite Caster Level in accordance with the rules above. This benefit stacks with the benefit of Gifted Crafter.
    Normal: When substituting a prerequisite Caster Level under these rules, normally the item crafter’s unaltered character level must meet the prerequisite.

Totem Crafter [Monstrous Creation]
    You are a wild man of the woods, one with beast and leaf and sky. You harvest the bodies of your fellow creatures and invest your possessions with their lifeforces.
    Prerequisite: 10 skill ranks in Knowledge (Nature) and Survival, or at least 1 level in Barbarian, Ranger, or Totemist.
    Benefit: You do not incur the +30 increase to DC on Craft (Alchemy) checks when preparing components extracted from monsters of the [Animal] type.

Spoiler: Behind the Curtain/Some final notes for DMs
    Show

Keep in mind that creation of magic items in this manner might provide all manner of NPC reactions to characters depending on what you build and what you use to make it. Someone who wanders into town sporting an illithid skull for a Helm of Telepathy might well draw some welcome (or unwelcome) attention. If this happens, it’s part of the design: much of the idea of these rules is to make magic items a little more personalised and a bit more of a memorable experience, in a similar manner to Pathfinder’s Dynamic Magic Item Crafting system. (And indeed these rules should bolt fairly seamlessly onto that system as well if you’re inclined to go down that path.)

Don’t be surprised to find people leafing furiously through monster manuals and asking you to adjudicate all sorts of weird and wonderful ideas about how to build magic items. That is also part of the intent of the system, because this form of crafting all but requires people to do some metagaming and go looking at what sort of Ex/Su/Sp abilities they can pillage off the next monster they find.

Also don’t be surprised to find a certain murderhobo focus to characters who go under this system. But at the end of the day, the monsters you throw at the party are a matter for you. The characters can’t go summoning their way into getting everything they want, but you might consider the benefits if a character asks you where they can find a Roc to get some of its feathers: congratulations, you have a sidequest from your main campaign, one that the characters initiated and more or less thought up for themselves.

This module unashamedly offers easier paths to item creation feats: again, that’s by design, since there’s only so much complexity or character advancement people will stomach before they simply say “To the Nine Hells with this, find me the next town with a caster who has lightning bolt.” This module was meant to compete with the caster-focused, caster-biased system of magic item creation, and I hope it serves you well.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Orc in the Playground

Oh wow, this is great. I like it, but I have a few questions.

2. You have to put a magical quarantine in place.
    This is good. The game in general probably needed something like this, but WotC dropped the ball.
    Just to be sure, constructs don't count against the quarantine? Mechanically they don't unless they provide a bonus, but fluffwise they're basically a weird kind of magic item, so I figure it's worth asking.

However, to confer this bonus, the component intended to function as a spell substitute must match the item sought to be created as follows:
    I like this. Now under “matching item from the creature,” is that just examples of the type of body part that can be used, or is it exhaustive?
    Example: Creating a scroll requires something sanguineous or that can function as a quill. Can, say, the skin of a dragon's wing be used in place of parchment?

Where a magic item has a prerequisite [Item Creation] feat, the character may use his ranks in certain skills as set out in the table below as a substitute for that prerequisite feat:
    Now does this affect the earlier houserule where certain magic item creation feats were merged together? I'm assuming that it doesn't.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Oh wow, this is great. I like it, but I have a few questions.

This is good. The game in general probably needed something like this, but WotC dropped the ball.
    Just to be sure, constructs don't count against the quarantine? Mechanically they don't unless they provide a bonus, but fluffwise they're basically a weird kind of magic item, so I figure it's worth asking.
    No, they don't count towards the maximum of +5 bonuses on the check. Constructs' life energy fields are self-contained in their hardware sufficiently that they don't interfere with the energies at play in extraction and preparation - similar reason for why it takes dedicated feats to be able to extract components from them.

I like this. Now under “matching item from the creature,” is that just examples of the type of body part that can be used, or is it exhaustive?
    Example: Creating a scroll requires something sanguineous or that can function as a quill. Can, say, the skin of a dragon's wing be used in place of parchment?
    Good question, actually, and something that might need a few changes in the later versions. Bear in mind that it isn't so much that creating the scroll requires something sanguineous, it's just that you don't pull a +4 on the Heal check to extract the component unless it's thematically linked in that way. So it could be used in place of parchment (and I will definitely stick that in the working thread, I don't want to forget it), but as the rules currently stand you couldn't gain a +4 on the check with it. But these are open to DM fiat, so I'd likely say you can.

Now does this affect the earlier houserule where certain magic item creation feats were merged together? I'm assuming that it doesn't.
    Nope, doesn't affect it. Can still qualify under those merged feats for these options, it's just at the lower levels specified for the merged feats.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

*Pssht* Kobold mission is a go. Over. *Pssht*

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

EDIT: Never mind...

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

So I'm guessing folks might be trying to decide how to assault the bandit camp.

I'd say the main decisions to be made come down to which direction you're going to come in from. Assume you can get your guys to one of the sides of the map before combat begins, and I guess it's up to you whether you come from the north, south, east, or western sides. In terms of the terrain itself, if you see a tree trunk or similar in the map, assume it gives a bit of cover against ranged attacks depending where you stand relative to the shooter. Terrain won't be difficult. I can come up with grid coordinates for the map if you want to get really precise, but really there's only four of them and six of you - don't know if your planning is going to need a lot of work here.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

Around what time of day would Ruk arrive back at the camp?

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Ruk would get back to the party's camp about two hours past dawn, so let's say about seven a.m. for argument's sake (Seven bells in-universe or so.) That is, the sun's up, no shadows, though the woods would give you some Hide and Move Silently bonuses on their own for the approach on the bandit camp at least.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

So are we still waiting for Ruk to return to camp?

Dergosh will have to leave any tactical planning to the others as he favors a direct frontal assault. Of course, it would be pretty easy to convince him that any particular side is the front.

I suspect kjel has dropped at this point? It has been three weeks since he posted, unless there is something going on in the background.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-06-26 at 10:58 AM.
    Dergosh the Loud Male Half-Orc Cleric 2 | HP: 18/18 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +2 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +4 melee 1d8+3/x2, +3 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--detect magic, guidance, resistance, resistance; 1st- bless, command D (DC 14), shield of faith, summon monster I

Show

24. - Top - End - #354
    Barbarian in the Playground

...wait it has?

Wow. I thought I'd been way more active than that. I was just waiting for something to happen.

Edit: That sounded bitchy. What I meant was that I'm the kind of person where if I don't have anything to say, I tend to just sit back and wait until I do. Which sometimes makes me look like I'm ghosting when really I just don't have anything more interesting than nodding in agreement to say.
    Last edited by kjelfalconer; 2018-06-26 at 11:10 AM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    ...wait it has?

Wow. I thought I'd been way more active than that. I was just waiting for something to happen.

Edit: That sounded bitchy. What I meant was that I'm the kind of person where if I don't have anything to say, I tend to just sit back and wait until I do. Which sometimes makes me look like I'm ghosting when really I just don't have anything more interesting than nodding in agreement to say.
    That's fine, but it helps to check in when posts like
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse View Post
    Sounds good to me. Do we know if kjelfalconer is ever going to come back, btw?
    show up.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry that I have been quiet too. Job search and whatnot. Excited to see how the fight with Kressle will shake out though I like our chances.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'm still debating to myself whether it's worth imposing a rule of "must post at least once every 3 days" rule, but I'd prefer not to if possible.

A more gentle way of moving stuff along might be: I could sock-puppet a character in lulls like this to keep things moving - but I probably wouldn't be comfortable with doing that unless a person explicitly consented to me doing that for their character.

On other preparations for the raid, you can assume Ruk draws a map on the ground accurate enough to convey all the details in the map. Otherwise:

(1) You can assume I won't get really prescriptive about potion durations such that you have to time when you use your magic items ahead of a fight, that's just unfun.

(2) At this point I'm assuming we've got a Shield of Faith on Korlann and Kuros, and a Oil of Magic Weapon on Kuros, most likely his hammer?

(3) Three presumably stays back in the treeline with no specific enchantments.

(4) Dergosh casts Entropic Shield on himself I guess.

(5) Ruk could use his Spellthieving feature to grab a level 1 Spellthief spell out of Happs' old CLW potion if he wanted.

If there isn't any other incantation to be thrown, shall I assume you'll be coming in from the east side of the map, through the treeline?

One last point: assume that any area in green counts as difficult terrain - i.e. x2 movement cost. The scrub is also thick enough that a square in green grants soft cover to a target inside it, i.e. +4 to AC, melee and ranged.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I usually try to inform the DM anytime that I'm planning on being away for a period of time just so that I am not holding anyone else up. As we all know, pacing in these games can be torturously slow at times, so no reason for me to contribute to that unnecessarily. Saint, you are free to bot Dergosh whenever needed.

Re entropic shield, he will cast it (on himself as it turns out) just before rushing headlong into battle, screaming and pounding his drum. 'Cause he is subtle that way.

Note: I had to change my avatar to more closely align with Dergosh's character.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-06-27 at 09:00 AM.

Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Saint, you are free to bot Dergosh whenever needed.
    Gonna go ahead and echo this for Three. Feel free to bot the magic robot.

Three will enchant her crossbow with Bane (Human), when the party is a few minutes away from the camp. Far enough away where she probably won't be heard, close enough that it will last until the bandits are dead, same as when we ambushed Happs' crew.

@Everyone: This is off-topic, but I'm not seeing three of our avatars for some reason. Anyone else having this problem?

30. - Top - End - #360
    Barbarian in the Playground

Its an imgur thing by the looks of things.