The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

Yeah, if the avatar is linked externally from a file sharing site, my work blocks them. I can't see the maps that Saint posts either until I'm logged in somewhere else.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

The plan sounds good, and approaching from the east works for me. And like Merc and Almonds said, if I find myself absent for a period of time, feel free to bot me.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Official And Arrogant DM Adjudication: 20 feet up can be measured as exactly 3 average-sized orcs plus 1 formerly-average-sized orc who said unkind things about Dergosh's mom* (i.e. one third).

* He said she looked pretty as an elf.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

kjel: So if Gakan is going in a ways ahead of the party to try and take out one of the platforms, how's he planning to try and do this?

I'm assuming the plan would be that he'd try to get close to the clearing and wait for an opportunity to get close to one of the platforms, but which one's he going for, and what's he mean to do - climb the rope ladder silently and take out someone on the top of the platform?

If so that's going to take a few Move Silently and Hide checks, as well as a Climb check to get up the rope. Might help to just roll two Move Silently and Hide checks - one to get close to the clearing, one to get up under one of the trees, and then a Climb and Move Silently check to go up the tree. This might or might not work, of course, but rolling the checks would save a little of the suspense...

I think in Gakan's professional estimation, it's not going to be that hard to get to the edge of the clearing (thus, can take 10 on that set of Move Silent and Hide checks if he wants), but getting across open ground is going to take good timing and a normal set of Hide and Move Silent rolls.

Another possibility is to let the party distract the bandits with their approach while he circles around to the other side of the clearing and moves in unseen. Still the same rolls, it just alters the applicable Spot and Listen modifiers. In this, the plan would be to give Gakan a slow count to three hundred* allowing him to get in position, and then the party moves in on the clearing as otherwise intended, aware its Hide and Move Silently rolls probably aren't going to keep them from being seen as such.

* Presumably Dergosh is not doing the counting, and Three will not be using base 16

5. - Top - End - #365

OrcBarbarianGuy

A distraction you say? Dergosh the Loud is just your huckleberry!

He plans on going in at full volume anyway, so one would presume all eyes would be on him and the charging Wolftooth Clan.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon

Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    and Three will not be using base 16
    Hahaha, no promises
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

7. - Top - End - #367

Since Dergosh will be... Dergoshing, I may as well make the most of the distraction. No need to count. I'll hear the signal.

8. - Top - End - #368

OrcBarbarianGuy

If I understood correctly, I think the idea was for the rest of the party to count in order to let Gakan get in position.

Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Eh, I'll make it work in update. Just need a couple of Move Silently and Hide checks now from kjel.

10. - Top - End - #370

Hide: (1d20+8)[19]
    Move silently: (1d20+10)[12]

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, little bit of a delay impending guys - I seem to have misplaced my flash drive with its notes of the campaign. Update in a couple of days or less, nobody panic right at this point...

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! WE'RE DOOMED! DOOMED! DDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEE EDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

*flails wildly*

Yeah, that's fine - flash drives have a nasty habit of running off if you leave them out of sight for too long, but they don't get too far.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

13. - Top - End - #373
    Orc in the Playground

Do any of the other bandits have bows? Asking because if not, I think I'll have Three support Gakan and attack Kressle, since she's the most dangerous and can attack any of us at the moment.

EDIT: Also, would it be safe to assume that we already have our weapons drawn?
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-07-01 at 10:11 AM.
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

14. - Top - End - #374

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ah, well, Dergosh wasn't intending to announce his presence until contact was made, but ok.

Do all squares then count as difficult terrain/double movement cost? Just want to clarify as it appears some areas are sort of clear, but just need to confirm to determine actions for this round.

Show

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    Do any of the other bandits have bows? Asking because if not, I think I'll have Three support Gakan and attack Kressle, since she's the most dangerous and can attack any of us at the moment.

EDIT: Also, would it be safe to assume that we already have our weapons drawn?
    The ones on the platforms seem to have bows. The ones on the ground, no. Yep, assume your weapons are all drawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Ah, well, Dergosh wasn't intending to announce his presence until contact was made, but ok.

Do all squares then count as difficult terrain/double movement cost? Just want to clarify as it appears some areas are sort of clear, but just need to confirm to determine actions for this round.
    If it's any consolation, given the state of the party's Hide and Move Silently checks, the odds are on they would have heard you coming anyway, but I'll check next time - sorry. On more important stuff, not all squares are difficult terrain. If it's not a green square, it's clear terrain, normal movement cost.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Orc in the Playground

Ah, I rolled max damage, but maybe not high enough to hit. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Are we able to move underneath the platforms that the archers are on? And if so, would those count as regular movement or difficult terrain?
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse View Post
    Are we able to move underneath the platforms that the archers are on? And if so, would those count as regular movement or difficult terrain?
    Yes, you can move underneath them, and that would count as regular movement. Think of it as a small clearing beneath the platform itself, created either by a lack of sunlight or the bandits stomping on the greenery in order to build the things to start with.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain
    Ah, I rolled max damage, but maybe not high enough to hit. C'est la vie.
    Aimed on Kressle, maybe not. But aimed on Bandit 1, it's just enough to hit and kill outright. And Kressle's missed her shot. This leaves us with the rest of the party now able to act, with the remainder of the bandits acting at the end of the round.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Orc in the Playground

Aimed on Kressle, maybe not. But aimed on Bandit 1, it's just enough to hit and kill outright. And Kressle's missed her shot. This leaves us with the rest of the party now able to act, with the remainder of the bandits acting at the end of the round.
    Sweet!
    Would falling prone affect Three's ability to hit Kressle? If she caught Kressle's attention, the extra AC would help.
    Also, what action would it be to take off Three's backpack? Asking because if she drops it, she has just enough speed to get into the next group of trees, which would elimate the range penalty for attacking Bandit 2 and 3.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    Sweet!
    Would falling prone affect Three's ability to hit Kressle? If she caught Kressle's attention, the extra AC would help.
    Also, what action would it be to take off Three's backpack? Asking because if she drops it, she has just enough speed to get into the next group of trees, which would elimate the range penalty for attacking Bandit 2 and 3.
    Falling prone on RAW doesn't seem to do anything to your attack rolls on ranged attacks with crossbows, so go for it.

I'd call taking off a backpack a move-equivalent action since you have to manage the crossbow in your hands and take the pack off.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

Falling prone on RAW doesn't seem to do anything to your attack rolls on ranged attacks with crossbows, so go for it.

I'd call taking off a backpack a move-equivalent action since you have to manage the crossbow in your hands and take the pack off.
    Works for me, thanks!

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

All right, so, absent hearing anything to the contrary in the next 24 hours, I'll assume Gakan goes for a Move Silently and Hide check to get underneath the platform, and then another move-equivalent action to make a Climb check (I think at DC 7 - DC 5 because there's a rope ladder, +2 to the DC because he's trying to get up there at above one-quarter speed, which is what is otherwise required.). With another Move Silently check, that'll bring him up and standing on the wooden platform behind Kressle.

23. - Top - End - #383

Crap. I thought I'd already posted. Sorry.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

And to remove all tension, the check is just good enough!

I'll come back with an update in next 12 hours or so.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

Here's a Spot roll for Three. If she can see Gakan, she leaves Kressle to him and attacks Bandit 3 instead. I really doubt this roll is going to succeed, but it's worth a shot to avoid stealing Gakan's thunder and getting him back in the party's good graces.
    (1d20-12)[-11]
    +1 from her Wisdom modifier, -13 from 135 feet of distance.

EDIT: Hahaha, a natural one paired with the lowest modifier in the game, so far. I am convinced Three needs new eye parts.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-07-05 at 09:57 AM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

...I take it nobody needs an adjudication from me about whether that succeeded or not

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

15 might hit and 9 is a good chunk of damage at this level. As for going so far north, I didn't know I could charge under the tree blind and with 20ft move speed this undergrowth kills my movement so I was trying to avoid it.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Would Korlann be able to receive Message from me if I were to cast it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    15 might hit and 9 is a good chunk of damage at this level. As for going so far north, I didn't know I could charge under the tree blind and with 20ft move speed this undergrowth kills my movement so I was trying to avoid it.
    Well, you have to choose some direction to go in, and an enemy will react in some way to what you do, so don't beat yourself up over that - so I take it that'll be a javelin at the remaining bandit, assuming he's still standing by the time you throw?

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Would Korlann be able to receive Message from me if I were to cast it?
    Good question - I know this won't be what you'd want to hear, but given that the spell indicates explicitly that "The spell transmits sound but not meaning", I think given Korlann's deafened right now I don't think he'd be able to hear it and/or understand it.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah I will try targeting the other bandit, but I have Precise shot which eliminates the penalty for firing into melee so I would have hit the one that hit Korlann.