The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Saintheart,

What is your preference on formatting of text in the IC thread? Specifically, do you have a position on whether we should quote previous parts of messages in our responses?

For instance, if Dergosh is responding to Three, and then Korlann, do you care one way or the other if I embed the other characters' quotes within my response? I ask as I've played with a few DM's who wanted it done specific ways.

Thanks,
    Merc

P.S. Please don't say different colored text for each character, please please please. :)
    Different colored text for--

--just kidding. Me, I don't have a preference about how you do your ICs; so long as we can work out who's talking and what's going on, any way you like is fine by me.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Character Token
    Show
    Taken from here.
    Saintheart, out of the traits you've listed, I think Brigand fits Three the best. She was a grave robber when working with the necromancer, and fled from Irl because she thought she would be caught for working with her. The issue is that she was never actually a bandit. Would the trait be acceptable if the +1 was changed to apply to necromancers instead?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    Show
    Taken from here.
    Saintheart, out of the traits you've listed, I think Brigand fits Three the best. She was a grave robber when working with the necromancer, and fled from Irl because she thought she would be caught for working with her. The issue is that she was never actually a bandit. Would the trait be acceptable if the +1 was changed to apply to necromancers instead?
    It doesn't explicitly require that you have been a bandit; that's just the name of the trait. On the other hand, I'd say given the nature of the campaign you'd get more value out of the trait as is - happy to extend its application juuuuust a little bit to include necromancers along with bandits and other reprobates. ;)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Not a perfect image, but I've got what's probably the closest I'll find to a good portrait for Korlann.

Show
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I was about to call purple for
    my speech color before I saw Merc had a distaste for it
    Spoiler
    Show

This is essentially Ruk. Though imagine it has blue tinted scales and paint on each limb in accordance to Tiamat's heads.
    Sorry for the delays on IC and OOC, folks, just got out of work.
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2018-05-06 at 10:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Let me know if the Walls of Text are too heavy or too long, guys, I don't want to give anyone indigestion.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Let me know if the Walls of Text are too heavy or too long, guys, I don't want to give anyone indigestion.
    I like them! The extra flavor is part of the allure of a text-based game
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry for being slow. Busy weekend here. Anyway, Kuros is smelling something rotten in the state of Denmark.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

To make the situation a bit clearer, here's a map of the trading post.

Map Key:
    A1: The Market Yard. Two tables near the firepit are used to display wares and serve food to visitors; bulky trade goods are offloaded into the storage pen at A4.
    A2: The trading post's guesthouse.
    A3: The stable. One jittery horse in here, along with Three's two mules. His cart is small enough to store away in the stable at one end as well.
    A4: The Storage Pen. This fenced area has a wooden roof to keep off most of the weather. It's currently not got a lot of stock in it -- merely the last month of trade goods -- which is testament to how completely the bandits have looted the Levetons' goods each time they've come.
    A5: Middens. Three 3-foot-deep composting pits and middens.
    A6: Main Hall: squat but solid wooden building, which is Oleg and Svetlana's home by the look of it. The double doors leading out into the market yard can be barred but not locked.
    A7: The common room/dining hall, where the party's having dinner right now.
    A8 - A11: rooms within Oleg and Svetlana's home, which the party hasn't seen.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Hm if I had known we would be defending a small settlement I would have taken advantage of my Kobold roots and put some ranks in Craft (Trapmaking)

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Hm if I had known we would be defending a small settlement I would have taken advantage of my Kobold roots and put some ranks in Craft (Trapmaking)
    Dergosh considers the best trap to be a screaming mace upside the jaw.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Dergosh considers the best trap to be a screaming mace upside the jaw.
    Dergosh is hilarious
    It doesn't explicitly require that you have been a bandit; that's just the name of the trait. On the other hand, I'd say given the nature of the campaign you'd get more value out of the trait as is - happy to extend its application juuuuust a little bit to include necromancers along with bandits and other reprobates. ;)
    Thank you!

I have some questions related to item crafting, since it's coming up soon:
    1) Does the Rules Compendium take precedent when it contradicts other sources? I'm asking because scrolls always take standard actions to cast according to the SRD*, but the Rules Compendium (page 85) says that scrolls take the same action as casting the spell normally.

2) Scrolls can have multiple spells on them, so I figure that means scrolls with multiple spells on them have multiple spell prerequisites. If an artificer fails to pass the Use Magic Device check for each prerequisite, they fail to create the item. I think this makes sense for an item that uses every spell at one time, like a Scarab of Protection, but less sense for an item that uses one spell at a time. If I'm scribing a scroll with several spells on it and don't succeed on a Use Magic Device check, do I lose the entire scroll or just the one spell?
    3) The artificer's Item Creation class feature says, "If he fails a check, he can try again each day until the item is complete (see Creating Magic Items, page 282 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). If he comes to the end of the crafting time and he has still not successfully emulated one of the powers, he can make one final checkóhis last-ditch effort, even if he has already made a check that day. If that check also fails, then the creation process fails and the time, money, and XP expended to craft the item are lost." Does this mean I can make one final check for each prerequisite, or one last check for one of them?

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

annoyed Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

...Well I just reread Alter Self and realized it will not make up for my mediocre ability scores. What a shame. 10min/level flight is still nothing to sneeze at though I suppose.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Dergosh is hilarious
    Agreed, I hope he stays that way! :)

This one seems to be the source of some contention - GITP has a few debates about it. For our purposes, though, I tend to think the hamfisted intent behind rendering scrolls "always a standard action" was to provide some sort of control mechanism to make casters special and not have people just sporting scrolls and UMD skills everywhere. But its result is pretty much to make scrolls even less useful than they already were: the swift action spell (which generally is going to be more useful to non-caster types, see Tome of Battle for examples) now drags out to a full standard action at least.

Me, I think it's an oversized impost since you already pay a price in combat for resorting to scrolls: the move-equivalent action it takes to retrieve the scroll and which, combined with a standard action, makes casting even swift action spells a virtually full-round affair. So, look, maybe it'll turn out to be unbalanced, but I'm going to rule that the time to cast a spell from a scroll matches the time to cast it normally -- but you still have to retrieve the scroll and/or find some funky method to slap scrolls into your hands without move-equivalent actions.

2) Scrolls can have multiple spells on them, so I figure that means scrolls with multiple spells on them have multiple spell prerequisites. If an artificer fails to pass the Use Magic Device check for each prerequisite, they fail to create the item. I think this makes sense for an item that uses every spell at one time, like a Scarab of Protection, but less sense for an item that uses one spell at a time. If I'm scribing a scroll with several spells on it and don't succeed on a Use Magic Device check, do I lose the entire scroll or just the one spell?
    3) The artificer's Item Creation class feature says, "If he fails a check, he can try again each day until the item is complete (see Creating Magic Items, page 282 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). If he comes to the end of the crafting time and he has still not successfully emulated one of the powers, he can make one final checkóhis last-ditch effort, even if he has already made a check that day. If that check also fails, then the creation process fails and the time, money, and XP expended to craft the item are lost." Does this mean I can make one final check for each prerequisite, or one last check for one of them?
    This I think can be partially answered by resorting to the above discussion about the impost for carrying your spells on scrolls. Mechanically, if you have a scroll with 2 spells on it, you are basically saving yourself the second move-equivalent action it would otherwise have taken if the spells were on different scrolls. If you're going to give yourself that convenience, then I think there has to be an attendant risk that in creating this thing that if you fail one prerequisite for one spell, you're going to lose the whole item. Hence, blow one prerequisite on one spell and you blow the whole item.

In fluff terms, I tend to envision scrolls as magic items. They're not just magic writing on paper, they have their own magical energies flowing through them as a result of their creation which allows them to hold a spell in suspension within them until the spell is completed and it fires. (By contrast, take a look at rune magic for the Forgotten Realms-specific Runecaster in my signature - that is a whole spell cast as a rune, the whole spell firing by touching the rune.) Consequent on this, it's a more delicate balancing act for a caster or scriber if they're putting more than one spell in the scroll - you're trying to keep the energies of two spells boiling and ready to fire instead of one, which is why if you screw up one of the spells, the feedback from that sputtering also blows up the other spell, ruining the item.

That would therefore also answer question 3 as well I think - it's one final check for one prerequisite you fail, not one last check for all of them. But I am open to debate on this one if anyone's got more authoritative ideas or more experience on this sort of issue while DMing. :)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

-Snipped-
    Okay, I'm fine with all of that. Thanks for the answers!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I won't post IC yet since I want to give others a chance to chime in, but I think we can trap the bandits within the fort and keep Oleg and Svetlana safe. Oleg just needs to be in position to run into his house and bar the door with Svetlana after the bandits start looting the storeroom. Once we close the gate and Oleg and Svetlana are safely barricaded in their home, the bandits would be too busy fighting us to worry about them.

Ideally we would get through the battle unharmed enough to then ride out on the bandit's horses and assault their lair.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    I won't post IC yet since I want to give others a chance to chime in, but I think we can trap the bandits within the fort and keep Oleg and Svetlana safe. Oleg just needs to be in position to run into his house and bar the door with Svetlana after the bandits start looting the storeroom. Once we close the gate and Oleg and Svetlana are safely barricaded in their home, the bandits would be too busy fighting us to worry about them.

Ideally we would get through the battle unharmed enough to then ride out on the bandit's horses and assault their lair.
    I concur. Probably the best plan of action.

Quick aside @Saintheart: I was looking at the Alchemist's Lab on the SRD and it says
    Without this lab, a character with the Craft (alchemy) skill is assumed to have enough tools to use the skill but not enough to get the +2 bonus that the lab provides.
    Does assumption that I have enough tools without the lab to do my crafting mean that I don't need the Artisan's Tools? It doesn't say "without the lab, a character with the Craft (alchemy) skill and artisan's tools..."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I concur. Probably the best plan of action.

Quick aside @Saintheart: I was looking at the Alchemist's Lab on the SRD and it says

Does assumption that I have enough tools without the lab to do my crafting mean that I don't need the Artisan's Tools? It doesn't say "without the lab, a character with the Craft (alchemy) skill and artisan's tools..."
    Artisan's Tools I read as basically a jack-of-all-trades tool. They allow you to pursue any Craft skill without having to pick up a specific set related to that craft. So I think your reading is right - if you have Craft (Alchemy), you are deemed to have enough tools to craft in accordance with the skill, but you don't get a +2 bonus without either the Artisan Tools or the Alchemy Lab.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Artisan's Tools I read as basically a jack-of-all-trades tool. They allow you to pursue any Craft skill without having to pick up a specific set related to that craft. So I think your reading is right - if you have Craft (Alchemy), you are deemed to have enough tools to craft in accordance with the skill, but you don't get a +2 bonus without either the Artisan Tools or the Alchemy Lab.
    Great! Thanks.

20. - Top - End - #50

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh wasn't thinking about physically throwing the rocks so much as stacking them all in a large pile in one corner of a tower and then triggering a lovely--and of course quite loud--avalanche on top of people. But now that I see the map, the trading post is much much bigger than I was envisioning and the towers no where near the front gate. Not to mention that the gates opening inward completely thwart the idea anyway.

But he still likes rocks...
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-08 at 03:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put some lantern oil on the ground and light it after the bandits are trapped in the settlement. Obviously one of the main issues with this would be possibly setting fire to the structures, but with some liberal Dampening from Prestidigitation, I think it should be ok. Also I'll make sure to dampen all of the party's clothes so they have Fire Resist 2 as well

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

So I'm thinking it would be a good idea to put some lantern oil on the ground and light it after the bandits are trapped in the settlement. Obviously one of the main issues with this would be possibly setting fire to the structures, but with some liberal Dampening from Prestidigitation, I think it should be ok. Also I'll make sure to dampen all of the party's clothes so they have Fire Resist 2 as well
    Ah, I was going to say something similar in the IC thread. Three has four flasks, Ruk has five, and I'm sure someone else has more.
    Maybe I should craft a Silent Image scroll to hide the spill, and we can start the battle by lighting them on fire? It would require them all (or their warhorses, which are extra combatants) to fail their Will saves, though.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ah, I was going to say something similar in the IC thread. Three has four flasks, Ruk has five, and I'm sure someone else has more.
    Maybe I should craft a Silent Image scroll to hide the spill, and we can start the battle by lighting them on fire? It would require them all (or their warhorses, which are extra combatants) to fail their Will saves, though.
    Hmm that's a good question. If they notice the Silent Image as they run over it, it may make them more suspicious than before. I wish I had an Illusion that could mask odors...
    Also I completely forgot that Prestidigitation can ignite things! What a spell.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Does anyone have spells that would benefit from having an improved action economy? As a Spellthief that's kinda one of my main things. I can hold a spell for you and cast it as if you did to save some actions.
    Also Mercurion, have you seen the Primitive Caster feat from Frostburn? It seems right up Dergosh's alley.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

I think we've got a solid plan thus far, but I might also suggest having people positioned around the buildings so that we can slip behind them and surround them. And as I stated in the IC, using the catapults would likely be a bad idea.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

@BluesEclipse We can probably do something with those two big tables too. Use them to block off paths, give us some cover, whatever sounds good.

@Saintheart I've got some questions about the buildings.
    1) Do any of them have windows?
    2) How tall are they?
    3) What are their roofs shaped like?

Asking because depending on your answers, we may have more or safer places to hide from them before the fight starts.

27. - Top - End - #57

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse View Post
    I think we've got a solid plan thus far, but I might also suggest having people positioned around the buildings so that we can slip behind them and surround them. And as I stated in the IC, using the catapults would likely be a bad idea.
    You know that and I know that, but Dergosh has a 7 INT.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I'd like to mention that I have Benign Transposition 3/day so that could help with some positioning stuff. How exactly, I'm not quite sure.

29. - Top - End - #59

OrcBarbarianGuy

@Zomb - -thanks, I'll check out that Feat. I love Frostburn.

Testing signature stat block.

@Saint -- The stat block below should help with your issue of not always being able to access our sheets. Again, shamelessly stolen from the Paizo boards. It does require us to keep our signature block up to date though.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-08 at 07:13 PM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

@BluesEclipse We can probably do something with those two big tables too. Use them to block off paths, give us some cover, whatever sounds good.

@Saintheart I've got some questions about the buildings.
    1) Do any of them have windows?
    2) How tall are they?
    3) What are their roofs shaped like?

Asking because depending on your answers, we may have more or safer places to hide from them before the fight starts.
    (1) The only building that does is the largest building, the Levetons' home. There are windows facing onto the square in the rooms marked A7 and A8. Their positions are such that the tables in front of the building don't block your view. The glass isn't terribly clear in either of them - the Levetons aren't exactly made of money - but someone standing there can see enough detail to make out people pretty accurately from inside.

(2) The buildings don't have second storeys, and can be taken as having wall heights less than ten feet in all cases. The roofs add to that height, but we'll get to that in a second.

(3) The building roofs are gabled roofs angled at about 45 degrees in each case to allow snow to fall off them. For the stable at A3, the roofline (ie the top edge of the roof) runs north-south down the middle of the structure; north-south down the middle of the Levetons' home; and down the middle east-west for the guesthouse at A2. The storage pen at A4 has a roof over it, but it's flat with enough incline on it to keep snow off, with the low edge facing towards the main gate, i.e. you won't find any cover on that particular rooftop if that's what the group has in mind.

@Zomb - -thanks, I'll check out that Feat. I love Frostburn.

Testing signature stat block.

@Saint -- The stat block below should help with your issue of not always being able to access our sheets. Again, shamelessly stolen from the Paizo boards. It does require us to keep our signature block up to date though.
    That's a pretty nice idea - I'll also take statblock generation from Mythweavers inserted into your posts.