The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 142930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1236
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

Nice! Welcome jdizz, looking forward to having you join the party.
    --Merc
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 (18/13/16) | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzlean View Post
    Hello again friends

Saint has invited me to join you after the untimely death of your compatriot. I have submitted my sheet, and not barring objections to it, should be joining you soon!!

I will be out of town this weeknd for 4-5 days. I'll have my phone with me, so will keep up with what if anything is going on. As for color, how about BROWN or maybe just use Bolded Black if either of those are ok w/ the group.
    His death was pretty timely

Welcome aboard! What type of character are you adding to the team?
    As for color, use whatever you like. Our group doesnít seem to mess with them much, aside from Rukís Gen, Eral, and when Iím writing dialogue for prophetic visions of Tiamat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

i made a warmage, with some extra flavor added in
    Spoiler: Medals
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

4. - Top - End - #1144

OrcBarbarianGuy

Will you be posting more frequently than once every six months? Will your character refrain from hiding under the wagon during combat? Because if so, you could make a peasant with a pitchfork and it would be a step up from what we had.

Actually, Dergosh will be very excited with a character that can blow things up in spectacular fashion.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 (18/13/16) | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon

Show

5. - Top - End - #1145

DruidGuy

I've already refreshed this thread 5 or 6x in the 2.5 hours I've been awake. you'll probably have to beat me with a stick to stop posting so you can get a word in.

and, while i fear death as much as any player who's invested in their characters, it is sometimes sadly part of the game. i am also not above having Akara junior show up the next day to continue the fight ;)

as for loud, i very nearly took the loudmouthed flaw just to see which of us could be more boisterous
    Last edited by jdizzlean; 2019-09-05 at 05:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

i made a warmage, with some extra flavor added in
    Oho nice. The added artillery will be nice, and Ruk will be able to lean into his support role better.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

7. - Top - End - #1147

OrcBarbarianGuy

and, while i fear death as much as any player who's invested in their characters, it is sometimes sadly part of the game. i am also not above having Akara junior show up the next day to continue the fight ;)
    Ah, excellent, Old School style where you if at first (second, third, fourth, fifth) you don't succeed, just trot out <Character Name> VI.

I actually got to game with the Frog God guys this past weekend, OD&D style. On day two my character leveled up, but on the next foray into Mythrus Tower he was the only survivor as the other four party members were cut down by wandering bugbears. More XP for me!

The other players rolled up new characters, and on our last expedition down we found their former characters' heads on pikes--which one newbie, getting the flavor now, industriously decided to use as a 10' pole!
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-05 at 07:18 PM.

Show

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Orc in the Playground

@jdizzlean: Hi, glad to see you could join us! Three will also be happy to have a replacement for Gakan, particularly one who could cast spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Ah, excellent, Old School style where you if at first (second, third, fourth, fifth) you don't succeed, just trot out <Character Name> VI.
    Spoiler: Relevant video
    Show

I would also like to extend my greetings to jdizzlean! Glad to have you aboard, and looking forward to your character.

10. - Top - End - #1150

DruidGuy

Here be Akara for your perusing enjoyment
    Show

The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Orc in the Playground

Good introduction to the game, jdizzlean!

Now, quick vote: do we remain where we are to regain our spells and have an earier time with the temple or do we press on and hope we're in good enough shape as we are?
    Three votes to stay, because she would rather we go in as close to full strength as we can manage. Johd votes to move on, but he isn't part of the Company proper and has a natural bias towards wanting to return to his Goddess' temple and complete her mission.

If we stay, Three will craft a scroll of Ray of Stupidity, because she doesn't want to tangle with a corrupted bear. Unless anyone has a better idea for a scroll, given the information we have?
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2019-09-06 at 10:34 AM.
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

12. - Top - End - #1152

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    Good introduction to the game, jdizzlean!

Now, quick vote: do we remain where we are to regain our spells and have an earier time with the temple or do we press on and hope we're in good enough shape as we are?
    Three votes to stay, because she would rather we go in as close to full strength as we can manage. Johd votes to move on, but he isn't part of the Company proper and has a natural bias towards wanting to return to his Goddess' temple and complete her mission.

If we stay, Three will craft a scroll of Ray of Stupidity, because she doesn't want to tangle with a corrupted bear. Unless anyone has a better idea for a scroll, given the information we have?
    I'd vote to rest and recoup as well.

As for ray of stupidity...how does that really harm a bear much? (By reducing him to 1??) Or are you just trying to put him on equal footing with Dergosh?

Show

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    I'd vote to rest and recoup as well.

As for ray of stupidity...how does that really harm a bear much? (By reducing him to 1??) Or are you just trying to put him on equal footing with Dergosh?
    Ray of Stupidity is actually way better than Ray of Enfeeblement (which cannot drop Strength below 1). You can drop a targetís intelligence lower than 1 with it, which means it is the perfect spell for neutralizing animals

I vote to rest up as well.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Troll in the Playground

I vote we actually pull back a bit farther from the temple before we rest - I'd much rather be outside of the corrupted area if we're resting, just to make it less likely for us to get ambushed by something like that assassin vine again. And the scroll of Ray of Stupidity definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to have - even if we decide not to use it on the bear, it wouldn't be a bad thing to have down the line.

And Almonds, Korlann would happily take a sling for the moment (since that'll be easy to make out here), though once we get back and you can do some actual crafting, the preference would be to get some shuriken that he can keep on hand (for ranged flurry of blows). Korlann will happily cover all costs for the crafting, as well.

Also, welcome to the party, jdizzledan! Good to know that we'll have some artillery support!
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

15. - Top - End - #1155

DruidGuy

merc, you make me giggle
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1156

OrcBarbarianGuy

The party is aware that this is corrupted ground, but rather than slow things down, can we assume we've moved off some distance before making a campfire?

Show

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Also fairly quickly by way of OOC: it's corrupted ground for a number of miles around. Basically the whole hex - a good 12 mile radius - has this bad feeling attached to it, and given you're only a couple of miles from the Temple, to get clear of the corrupted ground it's basically make a half-day's march back. In the dark, since it's late afternoon and sunset is on its way.

18. - Top - End - #1158

DruidGuy

we don't need to necessarily camp the night, but it seems w/o some kind of introductions we're at an impasse
    Show

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I can handle the introductions; it doesn't have to be a blow-by-blow as such, but I just wanted to double-check you're all happy to head to the Temple now rather than wait until tomorrow. If that's what people would like to go with - I can write up an IC narrative to cover the intros. :)

20. - Top - End - #1160

DruidGuy

it'd probably be better to just wait out the night and allow those that need it to rest. I imagine that it's not going to be a warm reception at the temple. i've only expended 1 1st lvl spell, and three/kuros could also stand a watch allowing the other casters the ability (hopefully) to get some sleep to regain slots for what is probably a fight to come
    Show

21. - Top - End - #1161

OrcBarbarianGuy

Yes, I think we'd prefer to hazard the corrupted area overnight and hit the temple closer to full strength rather than tackle it now. Jhod is out of spells, I believe, and Dergosh has expended half or so of his, so we'd also be low on healing.

As far as introductions, I've held back on Dergosh since he isn't exactly the diplomatic face of the party. "Greenbelt! Wolftooth! Conquer! What more you need know?" I think Three or Kuros with his 19 CHA might be slightly better suited.

Show

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Well, ahead of the Company's march tomorrow - might as well let me know spell lists and so forth. Any particular strategy/tactics anyone intends to use, or is it just march in?

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Well, ahead of the Company's march tomorrow - might as well let me know spell lists and so forth. Any particular strategy/tactics anyone intends to use, or is it just march in?
    *Looks around in Spells Known* 👀

24. - Top - End - #1164

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'll get I've got a refreshed set of spells set up.

As far as tactics, can Jhod provide a general map of the location, and any guesses he has as to 1) where the corrupted bear is likely to be, and 2) any other threats he thinks the area might hold?
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2019-09-20 at 11:15 AM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Troll in the Playground

From what has been told to us, Jhod has never been to this temple and everything he knows about it is from prophetic vision so probably no luck on any usable info.

26. - Top - End - #1166
    Orc in the Playground

DC 23 Use Magic Device Check for a Scroll of Ray of Stupidity: (1d20+13)[27].
    And the second roll Artificerís are entitled to: (1d20+13)[19].
    +2 from Threeís Intelligence modifier, +6 from Threeís rank in Use Magic Device, +3 from Skill Focus (Use Magic Device), and a +2 from The Magic Item Compendium.

Costs 56 gold, 2 silver, 5 copper to attempt to create.
    Base price of 150 (25 [base cost of a scroll] * 2 [level of spell] * 3 [Threeís caster level]), reduced to 75% through Extraordinary Artisan, and then cut in half because you pay half the base cost of an item to create it.
    This costs 6 experience to attempt to create, paid through Three of Threeís Craft Reserve.

Figured this is worth attempting for the bear. Best case scenario, the scroll is crafted and hits the bear, and the bear falls unconscious so maybe Jhod/Chauntea can undo its corruption in the future. Worst case, the attempt fails and I set a bunch of gold on fire. Į\_(ツ)_/Į

Korlannís shurikens are next on the list, unless something comes up where we need a specific spell ASAP.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2019-09-20 at 11:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1167

DruidGuy

from akara's sla's, she'll choose glitterdust and sleep as her options for the coming day
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry I haven't posted in a while - RL has been hectic. Getting a post up now.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

All right, I'd say we're about ready to go. Get your last preparations up, we're moving out shortly.

EDIT: The day's been exhausting enough, though, that the party doesn't have an opportunity to forage for game. 1 trail ration off everyone who needs to eat, i.e. everyone but Three and possibly Ruk.

30. - Top - End - #1170

OrcBarbarianGuy

Does this means it is the next morning and we've survived the night?

Show