The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

If we want the bowman alive, someone is going to have to suggest to Dergosh to cure him. It isn't going to occur to him since he thinks they are going to end up with heads on pikes outside of the trading post anyway per Oleg's request so it would be a waste of Gruumsh's magic to heal him.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 26/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- catís grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

2. - Top - End - #152
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    If we want the bowman alive, someone is going to have to suggest to Dergosh to cure him. It isn't going to occur to him since he thinks they are going to end up with heads on pikes outside of the trading post anyway per Oleg's request so it would be a waste of Gruumsh's magic to heal him.
    Sorry, I had something typed up earlier, but had to rush away from my computer. It's up now.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Does anyone have ranks in Handle Animal? Maybe we could steal those horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Does anyone have ranks in Handle Animal? Maybe we could steal those horses.
    Handle Animal can be used untrained if it is just to make the animal perform a task it already knows (like riding horses are supposed to know the Come, Heel, and Stay commands), or to push it to do something it doesn't know (at DC 25).

Riding doesn't actually require Handle Animal if the beast is already trained to be ridden (and possibly even if the beast hasn't been trained to be ridden, but if it isn't Friendly I imagine it will buck you off).

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

If we need Handle Animal, I've got no ranks there, so I won't be much help. I do have a couple of ranks in Ride, though, so having a horse might not be a bad thing.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Didn't someone take a trait that gave them a free horse? If so, then we're up to ten animals now. We should pick up a hireling or something to handle them for us.

EDIT: Maybe Oleg or that hunter mentioned in one if the job posters could help somehow?
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-05-16 at 08:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    Handle Animal can be used untrained if it is just to make the animal perform a task it already knows (like riding horses are supposed to know the Come, Heel, and Stay commands), or to push it to do something it doesn't know (at DC 25).

Riding doesn't actually require Handle Animal if the beast is already trained to be ridden (and possibly even if the beast hasn't been trained to be ridden, but if it isn't Friendly I imagine it will buck you off).
    Yeah I was thinking more so they don't freak out when strangers try to handle them after murdering their owners.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Odds are on those 7 horses have been stolen if not once then multiple times before their most recent riders came to an unfortunate end. Their screaming wasn't out of personal loyalty, it was more out of the smell of blood and people shouting and whatnot. Once they've had a chance to calm down they'll be as rideable as any other medieval motorcycle And remember you can sell them back to Oleg if you want. They can be stabled here at the Trading Post if you want to keep them but not take them with you on your adventures; assume a 1 sp per day fee from Oleg if you're going to do that.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ah excellent :)
    Also to clarify, Saint, is the 75gp Oleg gave us separate from the 50gp you mentioned for the reward?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Where I mentioned 50gp, read 75. That was a typo by me in the midst of adapting the adventure from 4 players to 6.

I know, I'm instilling people with a lot of confidence in my DMing skills, hey. :)

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

So... the arrows, the gold, and the rations we'll obviously want to hold onto for group use. If anyone has interest in any of the weapons or armor, then there's plenty to go around - otherwise, those will just get sold. I suggest we keep the pendant for now, at least until we deal with the rest of the bandits at their camp (I'm curious if any of the others there will have a matching pendant). We can hold onto the Shield of Faith potions until a time comes where we'll need the boost, I think.

As far as the gold, do we want to split it among the party, or just keep a group fund?

Also, Saint, same question about the reward from Oleg - in dialogue he said he has 75 for us, but in the list of stuff you provided OOC you mentioned he has 50 for us. Which is accurate?
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Definitely 75 gp. That was my typo. Now corrected in that OOC post.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BluesEclipse View Post
    As far as the gold, do we want to split it among the party, or just keep a group fund?
    I vote for a group fund. We just give everyone one-seventh of the loot instead of one-sixth, and just keep the rest for resurrections, emergency items, things like that.

@Saintheart So what kind of horses are these?

14. - Top - End - #164

OrcBarbarianGuy

So in total 150gp? (4*10 + 35 +75). Split 6 ways = 25gp, split 7 ways = 21.4 ish

The only mundane item Dergosh has interest in is the dagger, realizing that he had no knife and had to borrow Oleg's.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3 | HP: 26/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5 melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- bless, cause fear, command D (DC 14), summon monster I; 2nd- catís grace, sonic weaponD, shield of Gruumsh

Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    I vote for a group fund. We just give everyone one-seventh of the loot instead of one-sixth, and just keep the rest for resurrections, emergency items, things like that.

@Saintheart So what kind of horses are these?
    Light horses. Worth 75 gp apiece. I also realise I forgot to include riding tackle for each of the horses in the gear recovered. I'm adding that to the spoiler in the OOC which describes what you recover from the bandits now.

16. - Top - End - #166

OrcBarbarianGuy

My die rolling ability failed IC, so let's try again

[roll0]

So confused...

[roll]1d4+10[/roll]
    Why is that not working?
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-17 at 08:43 AM.

Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Hmmm:

(1d4+5)[9]

Seems to be working here.

[roll]1d4+10[/roll]

18. - Top - End - #168

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

One last shot at it.

(1d4+10)[14]

EDIT: Looks like it's some function of double-posting or editing when a roll's made. Mine goes kerplunk if I try to double post before the 60 second time limit.

EDIT: In fact, do you want to take that last dice roll?

20. - Top - End - #170

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    One last shot at it.

[roll0]

EDIT: Looks like it's some function of double-posting or editing when a roll's made. Mine goes kerplunk if I try to double post before the 60 second time limit.

EDIT: In fact, do you want to take that last dice roll?
    Ah got it, thanks. In the IC thread, I did try to preview it to make sure I had the format correct, so that could explain it. Maybe I did the same OOC, not sure.

Anyway, I'm perfectly fine taking the roll of 14, heh.

Show

21. - Top - End - #171

OrcBarbarianGuy

This, however, provided plenty of time to whittle a small, innocent and unsuspecting section of the palisade near the tower into an acceptable form
    Ooooooo, what did Dergosh carve??? :) Because he is intending to carve a large wolf paw with exaggerated claws (of course) on the front gates, but not until he gets Oleg's permission. Or maybe a wolf head with bared fangs, but that may be well beyond his artistic capabilities.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-17 at 10:31 AM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Previewing kills rolls, Rolls cannot be edited into a post, trying to delete a roll or edit it after it has been posted leads to red lettering appearing on your post saying something to the effect of *Roll does not match server* Heck I will murder a roll as an example.

(1d100)[100]

^ That is what a cheating roll looks like when someone rolls then edits the post to try and change it.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by bcool999; 2018-05-17 at 10:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Ooooooo, what did Dergosh carve??? :) Because he is intending to carve a large wolf paw with exaggerated claws (of course) on the front gates, but not until he gets Oleg's permission. Or maybe a wolf head with bared fangs, but that may be well beyond his artistic capabilities.
    Honestly, I'd originally been trying to convey the idea that Dergosh kept missing his carvings and thus putting big scrape marks in the palisade from his "overswing". But this works better. Make an (untrained) Craft (woodworking) check. If you get above 10 on the cumulative result, Dergosh has carved a fairly crude but entirely recognisable wolf paw into the palisade close to the southwestern corner - a small miniature of the wolf paw he plans to do on the main gates.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

On a related note, it turns out I don't like threatening to torture someone. If this doesn't work out, can someone else take over the interrogation?

25. - Top - End - #175

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh oh, sounds like we have a whole bunch of Negans on our hands.

Craft check time. Since I don't think a stolen bandit's dagger counts as artisans tools we're at a -4 modifier here!

(1d20-4)[6]

Dergosh stepped back to evaluate his work, a frown coming over his face. Look like fat spider missing back legs he thought. It need some work.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-18 at 07:17 AM.

Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

In terms of logistics from here - I'll assume you guys want to rake in the coin for anything you don't get for yourselves, so can I assume apart from anything anyone says in here or IC, that everything else is being sold?

In particular about the horses - you've got a mule and a horse already as well as a cart, if you want to pick up a horse each that's all fine, but if you're going to be travelling at cart speed it's not like having a bunch of horses is really going to accelerate your pace. I'll be posting soon about how travel and exploration works since there's material that's particular to Kingmaker and also a sort-of adaptation of 5e rules on overland travel I'd like to use, but I can do the calculations for you if that's holding anyone up from posting.
    Last edited by Saintheart; 2018-05-19 at 03:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177

OrcBarbarianGuy

Dergosh got want he wanted-- a knife and a horse, what else could one need? So he is unconcerned with what happens with any other non-magical goods and selling them is fine. But he'll have no idea what amount constitutes a fair trade.

Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Korlann will take a horse - it could prove to be useful at some point - and I believe we're in agreement of holding onto all of the potions. But any of the rest could be sold, I think.

I'll have to make sure Korlann realizes at some point that Dergosh knows nothing about fair market value, and start teaching him how to strike a deal... or at least make sure that he's doing the selling for the party himself (gotta get use out of that Mercantile Background feat somewhere).
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

So based on Three taking all the four potions (1 x CLW, 3 x Shield of Faith +2), Korlann getting a horse, Dergosh getting a dagger and a horse, Kuros grabbing Happs' composite longbow, all (100) arrows, and all the trail rations (enough for 2 days for 5 people, i.e 10 trail ration portions), and one of the short swords, by my count that leaves you with the following goods and values:

- 5 light horses @ 75 gp = 375 gp
    - 2 pack saddles @ 5 gp = 10 gp
    - 3 riding saddles @ 10 gp = 30 gp
    - 5 bits and bridles @ 2 gp = 10 gp
    - 5 x Leather Armour @ 10 gp = 50 gp
    - 3 x Short Swords @ 10 gp = 50 gp
    - 4 x Longbow @ 75 gp = 300 gp
    Total: 825 gp.

Oleg doesn't have a lot of coin on hand - 140 gp and some insignificant silver and copper. He will need at least a little float to try and get his business back and going again, he's willing to pay up 125 gp now and 700 gp in trade credit, i.e. you've got 700 gp coming to you in discounts if and when you return here. This is separate and additional to the 75 gp reward he just gave you, in case there was any doubt.

There's no question Oleg wants your business. He has a good position here; although it's isolated from civilisation and not really deep in the Greenbelt, it's still on a trail and the fact he managed to survive as a trading concern out here speaks to the place's potential once he has the bandits off his back. On the other hand I wouldn't expect the full-price rates you just got to be a continuing thing mainly because Oleg probably couldn't survive out here paying out full rates for adventuring gear for long, so Korlann's Mercantile Background is very likely to become very handy from here on in.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

That sounds fine with me. I mostly just plan to use the Longbow if we get in a situation where I could shoot from very far away before engaging in melee. Otherwise I have Javalins for short range damage. (So if anyone else like the bow speak out and Kuros will share it)

So now that we have finished interrogations, how are we going to deal with the bandits. I personally don't want to keep them around, so my vote as a player is to hang them at the front gate. However, Kuros won't take the initative to do so so someone else will have to get the ball rolling on that (and then Kuros can help them with it).

EDIT: After that should we rest and assault the bandit camp tomorrow? Short day, but better to go into the fight with a rested cleric and maybe Three will pop out another magic consumable.
    Last edited by bcool999; 2018-05-19 at 09:42 PM.