The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 7 of 42 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

As far as equipment goes, I don't see Three taking anything that's there.

Quote Originally Posted by bcool999 View Post
    So now that we have finished interrogations, how are we going to deal with the bandits. I personally don't want to keep them around, so my vote as a player is to hang them at the front gate. However, Kuros won't take the initative to do so so someone else will have to get the ball rolling on that (and then Kuros can help them with it).
    Yeah, my vote as a player is to execute them, too. We don't have anywhere to keep them. Oleg can't watch them, he doesn't have a place to keep them and has things to do, and they'll probably screw us over if we tried to take them with us. And they can't escape at night, because Three doesn't sleep, so when they do it would probably be during a battle. Best case scenario, they just leave. Worst case scenario, we get two extra enemies to fight.
    But, like Kuros, I can't really see Three just up and suggesting we kill them.

EDIT: After that should we rest and assault the bandit camp tomorrow? Short day, but better to go into the fight with a rested cleric and maybe Three will pop out another magic consumable.
    Resting sounds good.
    I don't know what kind of item to have her make, but I was considering a scroll of Sleep to hit Kressle with. If she fails her save, she's out of the fight and we don't have to worry about her incapacitating anyone with her two attacks per round. Then I guess we kill her subordinates, tie her up, and then learn about the Stag Lord.

Oh yeah, and we have sidequests that were posted up in the guesthouse. We should look into those at some point. Anyone have a preference?
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-05-19 at 11:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Troll in the Playground

Regarding the bandits, Korlann is not only fine with executing them, he'll do the job himself if nobody else wishes to. After all, the charter clearly lays out the punishment for unrepentant banditry - and though they're cooperative, they certainly don't seem repentant.

I'm also fine with waiting a day to go after the bandits, as we don't have the crunch for time that I figured we might wind up under. A Sleep scroll definitely sounds useful.

As far as the sidequests go, I'd like to go after the kobolds once we've finished dealing with the nearest group of bandits at least - I figure with our group we stand a decent chance of a peaceful solution there, which will get us useful information and additional allies.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with that plan. The rest of today could be spent tidying up the bodies, practicing with weapons, etc. Then tomorrow we head out and attack the remaining 8-ish Bandits (Assuming the info we got was correct), deliver loot back to the trade post and plan out the Kobolds from there... We can worry about the Stag Lord later. Something tells me he will become relevant at a later date.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Ruk doesn't really need any of that stuff, though store credit sounds great if it means I can put orders in for raw alchemical materials.
    Ruk would be reluctant to kill the bandits outright simply because of their cooperation, but also I don't see any other solution.
    Also I vote for the Kobold sidequest obviously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Also, itís probably not a bad time to talk about your exploration charter and how you actually go about fulfilling it.

As you know, youíve been given the right of exploration over an area thirty miles to the east, thirty miles to the west, and sixty miles south of Olegís Trading Post. Thatís where the Lance Lords of Emmerock want to establish a client state -- i.e. itís where your kingdom is going to go -- so it behoves the party to get out there and explore it.

The region youíre chartered to explore is this one:

Each hex represents an area roughly 12 miles across. Hexes that are shaded are regions you havenít explored yet. Iíll be posting up a copy of this map in the first OOC post, which Iíll update over time to track the regions explored and with the odd text note as appropriate.

As you explore the Greenbelt, your characters are expected to keep track of what you find in order to keep Emmerock informed of the strong and weak points of defense and determine possible sites for roads, towns, and other fortifications. (This aspect doesnít have to be RPed out, though if your characters do want to talk about these issues they certainly can.)

Let me immediately point out you can certainly travel through these dark-shaded areas (or anywhere else). You donít have to explore an area before venturing into it. However, best to give you a bit of the crunch first around overland travel.

How Overland Travelling Works
    As said, each hex represents an area roughly 12 miles across. Usually youíll be travelling from at least one hex to another depending on where you want to go. When you're exploring, you're generally going to be within one hex.

For the purposes of overland travel, the default is that you can cross 2 hexes in a full dayís travel, regardless of whether the partyís on horseback or not, regardless of the terrain. While horses help you move faster and maybe have more carrying capacity, because youíre in trackless wilderness you still have to be careful so the poor old horse doesnít stick its leg in a hole and wind up ready for the glue factory. Think of it as similar to why despite an Enlarge Person spell your movement rate doesnít change ;)

When you travel from one place to another, your group gets to pick a travel pace for the day: fast, normal, or slow. Each has benefits and drawbacks as follows:

ē FAST:
    o The party gains 1.5 days on the route. (i.e. you cross 3 hexes)
    o The party canít forage for food at all on the way.
    o The party takes -4 penalty on all checks to perceive dangers and on navigation checks.
    o Hostile creatures get +4 on checks to detect or track the party.

ē NORMAL:
    o The party gains 1 day on the route. (i.e. they cross 2 hexes)
    o The party can forage for food on the way, but at a -4 penalty.

ē SLOW:
    o The party gain 0.5 days on the route. (i.e. they cross 1 hex)
    o The party can forage for food normally.
    o The party gets +4 to all checks to perceive dangers and on navigation checks.
    o Hostile creatures get -4 on checks to detect or track the party

As for foraging and navigation and how they work:

Foraging:
    At the end of a day of travel, everyone rolls a Survival check against the Resources DC of the hex:
    5: Coastal or urban areas
    10: Forests or hilly regions
    15: Grasslands, swamps, open sea, and underwater
    20: Arctic tundras, mountains, or the underdark
    25: Deserts, and most planar locations

If a character fails their check, the player marks off one use of their rations. If the players have no food, they can survive (3 days + their Con mod) travel days without food, or twice that if they decide to spread their food thin. After that time runs out, they start taking starvation.

If at least one player succeeds on their foraging roll, all players obtain water and can refill their waterskins. If a player has no water or are starving, they become fatigued (-2 STR, DEX, canít run or charge.) and start taking nonlethal damage. They remain fatigued until they find water, no matter how much they rest.

Navigation:
    Each day, whoever has the best perception check, or someone with a good navigation ability (i.e. survival), makes a navigation roll. This is against the Navigation DC of the terrain theyíre passing through on that day, which is checked in secret, and the navigator won't be told they failed a roll until they pass another navigation roll. Failing a navigation roll means the party is off target from its destination, i.e. got lost at some point, whether in a totally wrong direction or just a few degrees off course (which can still mean you're miles off course).

Of course, you might be able to realize you're lost before the navigator passes a roll.

- If there is a major landmark, like a river, that your character is aware of, you might run into it and realize youíre going the wrong direction.
    - If your days spent travelling exceed the planned days of the route, youíll certainly figure out youíre lost. For example, if you're expecting to reach a location in three days given the pace you set but the journey stretches into four for no reason, you would immediately deduce that you're off target if not outright lost.

Once you know youíre lost, you have three options:

- Pick a direction and travel that way until you hit a landmark (river, edge of forest, etc)
    - Find high ground and try to locate a landmark you can orient yourself by
    - Backtrack until you hit a landmark you know.
    No matter what option you choose, itís treated as a new journey.

In summary: every day spent travelling, you all roll a forage check and at the end of the day your navigator rolls a navigation check. This determines whether youíre on course for the destination you're going to and whether you get fed that day.

Wait, what about wandering monsters and other encounters?
    Encounters may well occur even if you're totally on course. Your choice of route to the destination Ė and there are always more ways than one to get somewhere Ė may affect the frequency, and depending on where you want to go and how fast, you might choose to accept the risks of such a journey. For example, if you're setting out for the bandit camp Happs says is on the Thorn River, you can see from the map above there's basically two ways to get there: through the forest, which is the more direct route but likely to be more dangerous, or the route skirting around the forest and waiting until you hit Thorn River and then tracking it back to its source, which is longer, but probably likely to be less dangerous. And of course the pace you move at will have an effect on your capacity to meet those encounters as they arise (if they are combat encounters at all.)

How Exploring Works
    Or, how the meat of your charter actually works. Thereís a difference between just travelling through a hex and exploring it for the purposes of the charter, which chiefly relates to the amount of time you spend in the hex. Travelling through as opposed to exploring an area also has implications for sites or landmarks you might or might not find as you go through; if youíre exploring an area the odds of you coming across some long-forgotten ruin or site obviously heavily increase.

The time it takes you to explore a hex depends on your partyís overall movement speed.

Exploring time (Time to fully explore 1 hex)

Party Speed Plains Forest or Hills Mountains or Swamp
    15 feet 3 days 4 days 5 days
    20 feet 2 days 3 days 4 days
    30 feet 1 days 2 days 3 days
    40 feet 1 days 1 days 2 days
    50 feet 1 days 1 days 1 days

So in theory if you were feeling brave you could split the party and explore more than 1 hex at a time depending on the movement speeds of the people you send out to each hex.

That said, exploring does amount to overland travel within the rules, i.e. it may still draw down encounters, it may still cost you food, and you might become lost. You can still pick your pace at the start of the day - fast, normal, or slow, but the time isn't expressed in hexes crossed, it's just the number of days you progress towards the required period to fully explore the hex. So if the table sets out that it'll take your party 3 days to fully explore a hex, then using a fast pace for two days you could finish it in those two, but your navigation checks would be at -4, you wouldn't be foraging for food any of the time, and any monsters in the region would have a better chance (+4) at detecting or tracking you.

Hereís the effects that fully exploring one hex has:

(1) It nets you XP on completion Ė 25 XP each, to be exact. Thatís irrespective of anything else that happens inside the hex.

(2) The DCs for navigating and foraging for food in the hex drops to the minimum if you travel through that hex again Ė for someone like Kuros with a Survival check at +9, it becomes pretty much automatic success. Once fully explored, you are fully familiar with the landmarks in the region and with any number of water sources and food sources.

(3) The wandering monster chance drops to a minimum since you become pretty familiar with the creatures that haunt the region and how to avoid them. It doesn't remove it entirely - you may always run into someone or something out there, it's still the wilderness even if you know how to wrestle it better.

(4) The hex is potentially claimable for your kingdom. But more about that much later.

Youíre not on a timeclock to go through the whole Greenbelt or anything like that. The nature of the Kingmaker sandbox is that you can make your own plans to explore as you see fit. You can even go off the map entirely if you wish Ė there are regions east and west of the Greenbelt which we may come to eventually -- but youíd be heading outside the area for which your charter is granted and itís likely those areas will present rather more significant challenges for your characters at this point, i.e. I wouldn't be throwing level 1 characters at the sort of math lying off the map just yet. Although I suppose you could head back into Emmerock or back to Dunbridges if you really wanted to head into a civilised area for some reason.

The area around Olegís Trading Post can be considered as fully explored after your successful defence of the compound, and as a result each of your characters gets 25 XP for securing the area.

It might also be worth keeping an informal journal of the jobs youíve taken on so you can come back to them later if you see fit. Because itís your story I wonít keep notes for you on that, but someone might like to edit their posts on the first page to bear them in mind.

For those of you who immediately realise that the closest river south of Olegís Trading Post seems to be more than 2 hexes away, bear in mind the bandits may well have been travelling at a fast pace, or might have travelled through the woods rather than via the grasslands. They're a lot more familiar with the territory than you are, at least right now.

(EDIT: Made a couple of changes just to make things more readable. If any of this isn't clear, please let me know.)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

P.S.:

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Ruk doesn't really need any of that stuff, though store credit sounds great if it means I can put orders in for raw alchemical materials.
    Yes, you can. Oleg can put in orders to Dunbridges for materials or specific stuff that he doesn't have, though it might take about a week to get the order back to the trading post.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I didn't know we'd be needing to track food potentially, so Dergosh doesn't have any rations. Oh well, he can always eat the horse (or if he was clearer thinking, someone else's horse) if need be.

As far as the prisoners, he is content to let rest of the group do the interrogation, though he would like to know if anyone has the skills to work on repairing the catapults.

We have the usual prisoner's dilemma. Can't let them go or they will run off and tell their friends. Can't keep them tied up at the fort as they are likely to escape and/or kill Oleg and Svetlana. Can't haul them back to civilization, as the time spent ruins our advantage over the remaining bandit and leaves the fort unprotected from reprisals. So.....
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-20 at 05:25 PM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

No scroll this time, but that's alright.

@Saintheart Looking at that map again, I'm interested in what's on that island in the middle of the smaller lake. Can't wait to check it out.
    And I've been wondering about this for a few days now: are we expected to form one large kingdom, or several allied realms?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    I didn't know we'd be needing to track food potentially, so Dergosh doesn't have any rations. Oh well, he can always eat the horse (or if he was clearer thinking, someone else's horse) if need be.

As far as the prisoners, he is content to let rest of the group do the interrogation, though he would like to know if anyone has the skills to work on repairing the catapults.

We have the usual prisoner's dilemma. Can't let them go or they will run off and tell their friends. Can't keep them tied up at the fort as they are likely to escape and/or kill Oleg and Svetlana. Can't haul them back to civilization, as the time spent ruins our advantage over the remaining bandit and leaves the fort unprotected from reprisals. So.....
    On rations, fortunately Oleg does have a couple of weeks' worth of trail rations left in stock as well as a couple of waterskins. He's willing to give you a few days of trail rations and a waterskin for free as he doesn't have much use for them at the moment and as part of his gratitude for saving his life and that of Svetlana.

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    No scroll this time, but that's alright.

@Saintheart Looking at that map again, I'm interested in what's on that island in the middle of the smaller lake. Can't wait to check it out.
    And I've been wondering about this for a few days now: are we expected to form one large kingdom, or several allied realms?
    It'll be one large kingdom, though given you can build small towns within in that kingdom I suppose it's possible to institute feudalism or something similar if people want more specific control over certain areas. If the query is about who the ruler of that kingdom will be, then without getting into Kingmaker's kingdom-running rules too much - the game doesn't place a lot of emphasis on the ruler per se, and even suggests the role be taken in turns by the players. Think of a kingdom more as a sort of character in itself, with rolls for things like Loyalty, Stability, Economy, and so on.

More generally, I'm sensing the overall party intent is to basically give Happs and Kerwin over to the law, i.e. sword or rope. I'll write something up soon on the decision unless anyone has any last-minute ideas.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Sense motive on Kerwin to see if he is bluffing: (1d20+2)[11]

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Sense motive on Kerwin to see if he is bluffing: [roll0]
    Kuros doesn't get any sense that Kerwin is lying or bluffing. He seems entirely genuine.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

Well, I'll be damned.
    Right, so, my vote changes. Happs should be executed for being annoying unrepentant banditry, the other dude should fix the catapults and otherwise act as a hireling.

@Zombulian The site is saying that your inbox is full.

13. - Top - End - #193

OrcBarbarianGuy

"We make orc out of him yet." - Dergosh

Kerwin Nolastnamegiven, Chief Artillery Battery Officer, Fort Oleg
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon

Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I'm all for recruiting Kerwin. Maybe we shouldn't leave him with Oleg though...

@Zombulian The site is saying that your inbox is full.
    Ah crap.
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

I agree that we should spare Kerwin for now - with the understanding that it's a deferred sentence, and should he step out of line we will cut him down for it. Give him a chance to prove that he's willing to change.

Also, do I know anything about Harethtoe? (Knowledge: Local (1d20+5)[22])
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

As it so happens, Korlann knows a bit about Harethtoe, mostly becuse some of the traders he grew up around on Xin Jubei among the Shou had a lot of contact with the place.

Harethtoe is the seat of the lady of House Aldinuth, one of three houses in High Emmerock that have sympathies towards Low Emmerock and are behind the push to found a client state in the Greenbelt. (There's a map of Emmerock at the front of the thread - Harethtoe stands on the southern shore of Lake Reykal, you can see it there.) The place itself is a rather spartan, no-nonsense trading center; it was founded to sell the sapphires, smoked meats, and livestock of the realm to visiting merchants and buy their finecloth and ironmongery. Both activities take place under the watchful eye of the Helmite clergy. Harethtoe was built for defense, with concentric ring-walls, defensible gates and towers, wide cobbled streets, and all-stone construction with slate roofs. Nothing will readily burn, and any attackers must climb a series of rising cobbled slopes (despite anything slippery that's been poured underfoot) while the townsmen fire crossbows down their throats. Harethtoe has one tavern of note, Obolder's Tankard, and a single (large) inn that merchants frequent, the Southshield, both of which are pretty expensive. Noblemen drinking in either place is certainly not out of the question.

A casual merchant finds Harethtoe a pretty boring place to start with because of the Helmite clergy's reputedly diligent policing of the tavern and the inn. The truth of it, as Korlann knows from many phlegmatic Shou merchants he's dealt with, is somewhat different. There is a serious black market in place in Harethtoe, a shadowy underside to a town that on the surface appears wholly transparent and wholly a place of Helm. A decent contingent of Helmite priests can be corrupted or at least convinced to turn a blind eye under the right circumstances. And one Shou that Korlann spoke to mentioned that if the right money or person was involved, Helmite priests could certainly be convinced to not employ divination spells to discover the outcome of crimes. About the only thing that isn't clear is whether the lady Aldinuth knows of these practices at all or the truth of them; she is a pretty straight-up-and-down sort of ruler of her demesne, but Harethtoe is only one of the towns or villages that comes under her aegis.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

As you might have guessed based on the IC post, Korlann is volunteering to carry out the execution. He might not be familiar with swords, but putting it through a bound man's heart or neck can't be too difficult, right? [/sarcasm]
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

It won't be for this. One of the more traditional methods of execution with the gladius was to thrust in at the spine, at the base of the neck.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

So I'm guessing everyone can get down to business with Oleg now.

While we're on it - anyone have any concerns with the pace of posting? Anyone feeling like I'm going too slow, too fast? Manageable pace? Any concerns, complaints, suggestions? Any dramas with the times I'm doing updates? Happy to talk about in PM if you're not comfortable discussing in the open.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Post frequency is fine for me. I might push for even faster, but the current speed allows for me to work and not feel like I'm missing much.

21. - Top - End - #201

OrcBarbarianGuy

I am curious--who actually pays the reward money for the various tasks on the wanted posters? Are we supposed to send proof of accomplishments back to the Lance Lords?

Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

For the time being, assume Oleg is the conduit for payment. The rewards have generally been posted by him and he'll make sure word gets back to Dunbridges and also make sure you get the reward. Being a careful, accounts-accurate man, he most likely has that money set aside from his own personal funds (75 gp) and the funds to buy and sell stock (hence the 125-odd gp in cash and 700 gp in trade goods.), i.e. it won't be a surprise when he pulls that money out to reward you despite having no trade goods over the winter.
    Last edited by Saintheart; 2018-05-22 at 09:58 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

OrcBarbarianGuy

Re the IC question on Dergosh's nomenclature...he's been using tribe and clan interchangeably, but since Oleg started using "Company" I was just trying to simplify it. But yeah, he'd only refer to the PCs as Company.

Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, so, since it looks like the party is heading out today to hit the bandit camp, and it looks like you're making the most direct route southwest and thus into the Greenbelt for the first time, it's probably time to make some decisions about how you're going to get there.

That is, you need to decide whether you're travelling at a fast, normal, or slow pace. To reiterate the effects that different paces have:

ē FAST:
    o The party gains 1.5 days on the route. (i.e. you cross 3 hexes)
    o The party canít forage for food at all on the way.
    o The party takes -4 penalty on all checks to perceive dangers and on navigation checks.
    o Hostile creatures get +4 on checks to detect or track the party.

ē NORMAL:
    o The party gains 1 day on the route. (i.e. they cross 2 hexes)
    o The party can forage for food on the way, but at a -4 penalty.

ē SLOW:
    o The party gain 0.5 days on the route. (i.e. they cross 1 hex)
    o The party can forage for food normally.
    o The party gets +4 to all checks to perceive dangers and on navigation checks.
    o Hostile creatures get -4 on checks to detect or track the party

In terms of timing:

Absent you getting lost, major setbacks from encounters, or investigating anything else you run into en route:

At normal pace you'd likely hit the bandit camp at just on dawn tomorrow morning.
    At slow pace, you won't even reach the Thorn River camp today - indeed you'll barely pass through the perimeter of the Greenbelt.
    At fast pace, you'd hit the camp sometime after midnight tonight.

So that's the first decision you need to make.

The second decision relates to tracking. I'm assuming someone is going to try to track the bandits back along their trail. So that will need a Survival check. That survival check is going to be affected by the pace you set (i.e. -4, 0, or +4 depending on Fast, Normal, or Slow pace) since you're not just rolling once to track and locking onto the bandits' trail in the morning; tracking the bandits is an active exercise throughout the day, which gets harder if you're trying to go as fast as possible.

However, if the tracking check is successful, you can assume that whoever is doing the tracking manages to recover the trail even if it's lost briefly during the course of the day. This, in turn, reduces the Navigation DC substantially since you're basically doing the equivalent of following a trail of bread crumbs through the wilderness, but it doesn't remove the need for the check at the end of the day.

Foraging and Navigation checks only need to be taken at the end of the day, so we don't need to worry about that right now. Remember, if nobody forages en route today, then you'll have to empty your waterskins and consume 1 trail ration each. If at least one person successfully forages, waterskins for everyone are replenished (but not everyone's food.) Those of you who didn't pick up waterskins and trail rations during character creation can get a waterskin and 3 days of trail rations for free, as a one-time gratuity from Oleg. (Obviously Three is exempt from the Forage roll since she doesn't require water or food, though I suppose she could forage anyway and obtain food and water for some other person.) Also, don't worry about any mounts' food or water, or assume that they get fed and watered at the same pace as you.

And the third and last decision is this: one way or the other you're going to wind up being out in the wilderness at night. So I need you all to nominate one person who'll be on watch at midnight, and one person who'll be on watch in the predawn darkness. (You don't need to set up watch rosters as such - it's enough to consider people will get enough sleep one way or the other.)

Make sense? TL:DR - I need to know
    (1) what pace you're setting for today
    (2) who, if anyone, is tracking the bandits
    (3) who is on watch at midnight and predawn.

Over to you.
    Last edited by Saintheart; 2018-05-24 at 09:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

OrcBarbarianGuy

Since he has darkvision, Dergosh is willing to take either of the shifts, though I suspect with this crew there are a number of characters with darkvision. He isn't likely to hear anything sneaking up, but he hopefully can see it.

As far as pace...it depends if we want to attack in the dark, or at dawn. The last group were all humans, but that doesn't mean they all are...though we can ask Kerwin on that point. How many of our group would be hindered by the dark?

Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quick reminder here that Svetlana said a full 14 showed up the first time, including Kressle, and that they were all human.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

I would suggest a Normal Pace and Kuros could be a guard. He wouldn't be a good guard since he has the inattentive flaw, but he could try.

Also, if Kuros is tracking the tracks can he also attempt to Forage?

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

@Saintheart Warforged don't sleep, so can't Three just stay on watch the whole night?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    Since he has darkvision, Dergosh is willing to take either of the shifts, though I suspect with this crew there are a number of characters with darkvision. He isn't likely to hear anything sneaking up, but he hopefully can see it.

As far as pace...it depends if we want to attack in the dark, or at dawn. The last group were all humans, but that doesn't mean they all are...though we can ask Kerwin on that point. How many of our group would be hindered by the dark?
    I checked out everyone's races, and Dergosh and Ruk have Darkvison. Gakan has Low-light vision. So three of us will be hindered. Maybe four, depending on exactly how dark it is. Three owns a lamp, but a light source would give us away, so it's kind of a wash. We'll still have the upper hand, but we'll be outnumbered. I know how to eliminate their number advantage, though- Happs said that the bandits send out hunting parties of four men, so I think we should ambush their hunters, and then attack when they're sleeping.

EDIT: I agree with bcool999, I think a normal pace would be good.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-05-24 at 10:23 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I would suggest a Normal Pace and Kuros could be a guard. He wouldn't be a good guard since he has the inattentive flaw, but he could try.

Also, if Kuros is tracking the tracks can he also attempt to Forage?
    He certainly can attempt to forage while tracking, providing the party is not travelling at a Fast pace. Tracking is something you can take time off from, e.g. dropping a piece of cloth on the last track you saw and then returning to that cloth later to resume the chase or similar, but Fast pace is too quick to forage in.

@Saintheart Warforged don't sleep, so can't Three just stay on watch the whole night?
    Certainly can, although if she's using that time to craft objects as well it'll probably be at some negative to Spot or Listen checks since she's presumably concentrating on building stuff.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

I agree with a normal pace, as well. I'd prefer not to attack at night - with two of our main melee attackers right now (Korlann and Kuros) not having any kind of night vision capabilities, it's better to wait until morning.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Show
    None ATM

Show
    None ATM