The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Kingmaker in the Forgotten Realms [OOC thread]

Foraging: (1d20-2)[-1]

I volunteer for pre-dawn watch. I can see in the dark well enough, and I'm the least useful in combat, so it's less painful if I'm not as fresh.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by almondsAndRain View Post
    I know that Three doesn't have to, but can she forage anyway? I figure she wouldn't have a problem trying to help the others find food.
    Survival: [roll0]
    +1 from her Wisdom modifier, -4 for normal pace.

EDIT: Oh.
    Hahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by kjelfalconer View Post
    Foraging: [roll0]

I volunteer for pre-dawn watch. I can see in the dark well enough, and I'm the least useful in combat, so it's less painful if I'm not as fresh.
    Oh my GOSH
    Last edited by Zombulian; 2018-05-28 at 05:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deeds View Post
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    There are certain advantages to a game being as badly written as 3.5.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

Four of us didn't manage to find any food, but hey, at least we weren't turned into food by a magic lightbulb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'll check on kobold "eat less food" rules shortly, but for the moment that means

(1) Everyone still gets water because at least one person managed to forage successfully for food and water
    (2) Everyone except the kobold and the Skarn, deduct one trail ration from your inventories if you already haven't.
    (3) You are also dead on target as far as position goes, Kuros's Navigation check is good.

EDIT: I can't find the rule that says a desert kobold eats less depending on the weather, but for the sake of argument the weather is basically fine and not cloudy. Kythorn is basically the beginning of Faerunian summer for what it's worth.

Consider that it's automatic success to find enough wood to make a campfire and otherwise set up for the night. Also, although it wasn't successful this time round, Three could make a forage check to feed someone else in the party if need be.

As for who's standing watches - shall I assume from IC/OOC chats that it's Three and Korlann on at midnight and then Three and Gakan in the predawn darkness, with Three crafting a scroll during the night?

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    I'll check on kobold "eat less food" rules shortly, but for the moment that means

(1) Everyone still gets water because at least one person managed to forage successfully for food and water
    (2) Everyone except the kobold and the Skarn, deduct one trail ration from your inventories if you already haven't.
    (3) You are also dead on target as far as position goes, Kuros's Navigation check is good.

EDIT: I can't find the rule that says a desert kobold eats less depending on the weather, but for the sake of argument the weather is basically fine and not cloudy. Kythorn is basically the beginning of Faerunian summer for what it's worth.

Consider that it's automatic success to find enough wood to make a campfire and otherwise set up for the night. Also, although it wasn't successful this time round, Three could make a forage check to feed someone else in the party if need be.

As for who's standing watches - shall I assume from IC/OOC chats that it's Three and Korlann on at midnight and then Three and Gakan in the predawn darkness, with Three crafting a scroll during the night?
    Yeah the passage I'm referring to is about Kobolds in general, not just Desert Kobolds.
    A Kobold who inhabits a region with a temperature of 40F or above for 24 hours can go for another three days after that time before having to eat normally... After inhabiting a region with a temperature below 40F for more than three days, kobolds must consistently consume three times as much food per day than is normal for their size.
    -Races of the Dragon, pg. 39
    When it comes to watch, is aid another applicable? I have darkvision but my actual spot score is the pits...
    Caster backstories require a reason as to why they can cast spells. Wizards study hard to learn spells. Sorcerers often learn of their powers and then hone them through traveling. Clerics use piety to find the gift of spells through the gods or their ideals. Druids shun deodorant until a riding dog appears and they learn Entangle.
    Zom, my imaginary hat is off to you. *Horns? *What horns? *It's just an unusual hairstyle.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    Yeah the passage I'm referring to is about Kobolds in general, not just Desert Kobolds.
    Well, based around that characteristic it sure as heck isn't below 40F out here, that's the equivalent of 4 degree Celsius, i.e. just above freezing. So that means Svetlana's moon radish stew is going to keep Ruk going until around dinnertime on the 5th of Kythorn. That said, you're still going to need water each day, which we know has already been achieved. So it's up to you whether you foraged/collected for someone else I guess, and a matter for you as to who gets to eat tonight! :)

When it comes to watch, is aid another applicable? I have darkvision but my actual spot score is the pits...
    Sadly I wouldn't say Aid Another is applicable to that sort of skill -- i.e. Spot checks -- because it's not really a cooperative effort as such, any more than you could really apply Aid Another to a Listen check: it's more like either you see it/hear it or you don't.

7. - Top - End - #247

OrcBarbarianGuy

How many rations each were we able to get from Oleg & Svetlana?
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Three trail ration portions, i.e. you use up 1 for each day. You also get a free waterskin which contains enough water for one day.

EDIT: Also note, in case it wasn't already apparent - the bandits had a total of 10 trail rations on them, i.e. an additional 2 each for those party members who need to eat. I'd been assuming nobody would be wanting to sell those off. That's on top of whatever Oleg gave you, thus, should be 5 trail rations each.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Orc in the Playground

Spellcraft roll, to figure out exactly what just happened: (1d20+7)[21]
    +4 from ranks, +3 from Intelligence modifier.

The four dancing flames are making me think it's Dancing Lights, but I'd like to be sure.
    Problem: high-level beatsticks are easily negated by flight and projectile weapons.
    Solution: create a high-level beatstick that can throw stuff, holy crap I'm a genius.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Correct, Three recognises it as Dancing Lights. No heat, no flame, no damage being taken, only a cat-man with the equivalent of an "Eat At Joes" sign circling his head.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

So are floating lights going to be a theme of this forest, or is the Will o' the Wisp and the spell just a coincidence?

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Who knows? For what it's worth, though, the Wisp didn't show up in the forest as such - the marsh bordering the forest isn't a part of the Greenbelt as such, though it might well have been long, long ago.

Although I can tell you that it probably won't be the last Will o' the Wisp you end up dealing with ... though not for quite a while I would think.

EDIT: in fact, there might be more wisdom to be found if people want to make a Knowledge (Nature) roll.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Little bit of cutscening there, hope there isn't anything offensive...

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not seeing anything offensive there, so I think you're good
    EDIT: Can we make listen checks for those spells? Open-close is a close range one.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-05-30 at 07:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Unfortunately, not on those ones, mainly because spell-like abilities don't require components, and therefore there isn't any sound to hear.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Orc in the Playground

So what do you guys want to give the fairies?

17. - Top - End - #257

OrcBarbarianGuy

I don't think my character has anything other than coins. If anyone is good at Craft we could make something non-magical, or Three could make a potion of some sort possibly.

EDIT: Oh I see you can't make a potion until 2nd level. Not sure fey would appreciate a scroll. Dergosh could make holy water, but again I have doubts whether fey would find that valuable.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2018-05-31 at 06:43 AM.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Cleric 3 | HP: 17/26 | Init +10 | AC 16 T11 FF14 | Fort +5 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +5melee 1d8+3/x2, +4 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- cause fear, doom, sonic blast D (DC 14), shield of faith; 2nd- bullís strength, sonic weaponD, spiritual weapon
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 14)

Spoiler: Dergosh Character Sheet
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Three can make potions at first level. I houseruled that Scribe Scroll and Brew Potion are replaced with a single, first level feat - Craft Consumable Magic Item - which can be taken at level 1.

I was also, out of my own curiosity, looking into Craft (Alchemy) to see if anything turned up there - I was thinking that sugar is sometimes used in explosives, so it might form part of an alchemist's kit. Was an interesting exercise in looking at materials - there's a lot of interesting stuff you can make with Craft (Alchemy) -- but I'm thinking that Ruk could cook up some boiled sweets with the stuff in his kit. Nice and sugary, though obviously the elusive alchemical recipe for Moon Radish Boiled Sweet continues to elude him ;)

19. - Top - End - #259
    Orc in the Playground

Faeries always like candies in stories, right? They'll probably leave Ruk alone if they knew he was making them a gift, so I'm liking the idea.

As far as potions go, we have four of them. The healing potion is in a gourd, so... maybe they'll like it? From the description, it sounded pretty weak, so I don't know. Depends on whether they prefer power to aesthetic. Three could make a potion like you said, but we would have to spend the next twenty-four hours in camp, because they take a whole day to brew.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

Kuros also has a potion of CLW from his starting wealth. Would prefer to keep it for the bandit camp fight, but if push comes to shove.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Orc in the Playground

We have three Shield of Faith potions, so we can just give one of those up. A temporary +2 to armor class isn't that big of a deal.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

All Korlann's got is coins ATM.
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

I like the sugary alchemy idea definitely.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

How about we go with the idea that the party offers up a Shield of Faith potion and some boiled sweets, then. It takes Ruk about forty minutes to come up with the little hard candies, which he turns out in five different colours: red, blue, green, white, and black. No pranks are pulled on the party in that time, interestingly, although perhaps they've just been listening to Kuros talking about them.

Anyone want to write an IC offering up these gifts, or shall I do it and let you know the results?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

How about we go with the idea that the party offers up a Shield of Faith potion and some boiled sweets, then. It takes Ruk about forty minutes to come up with the little hard candies, which he turns out in five different colours: red, blue, green, white, and black. No pranks are pulled on the party in that time, interestingly, although perhaps they've just been listening to Kuros talking about them.

Anyone want to write an IC offering up these gifts, or shall I do it and let you know the results?
    Eh. Seems like a reasonable time for a cutscene to me.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Okay, hold off posting until I get something up ...

27. - Top - End - #267

28. - Top - End - #268
    Orc in the Playground

Perception checks just aren't Three's thing, huh?
    I don't know what we should do right now, but if we survive we should only return to the forest to burn it down.

This is relevant again:
    Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that Three doesn't have a cart, she has a wagon. That's why she has two mules.
    Last edited by almondsAndRain; 2018-06-01 at 10:30 AM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'll make sure the next update has the right picture. I dunno why I keep thinking it's a cart, my mistake. I also have a nasty feeling I missed one horse in there - yeah, I think Korlann, Dergosh, and Kuros all had animals. Whoops.

In terms of options, one relevant thing is that Shambling Mounds uuusually don't have a lot of use for items as such, they're basically carnivorous plants. Might be that your possessions in the cart may be of no interest to it at all. But right during this round I might note that shambling mounds have a movement of 20 feet, which means on a double move or similar that shambler is possibly in strike range of one or more of you.

30. - Top - End - #270

There is an irony here to the unarmed fighter being the one with all his gear.