The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 335
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Waking Nightmares (IC)

    CHAPTER I - VISIONS IN THE DARK

    Spoiler: OOC Note
    Show
    Each of you experiences the following separately, and as yet have no connection to one another aside from being captives in the same ship. Also, at this point please claim your colors!

    Link to OOC Thread


    You find yourself wandering a labyrinth of lightless corridors, yet are somehow able to see endless, grotesque frescoes adorning the walls. The further you walk, the more you develop a terrible sinking feeling. Finally you enter a large domed room with pale yellow torches around the perimeter. Censers burn a putrid smelling incense, clouding your vision and your mind. The light of the torches does not reach the top of the dome, which lies in pitch blackness. Ascending into this blackness is a set of stairs leading to a stone dais. Barely visible upon the dais, the bottom of a golden throne can just barely be made out; it is occupied, but you cannot see by whom. At the foot of the dais, in the center of the room, is a gaping circular hole that resembles a well. Surrounding the well are six bloodstained altars, also made of stone. You come to stand before the well and wait fearfully before what sounds like a flute begins to play a jarring discordant melody from the throne. You find yourself drawn inexorably up the stairs by this horrible tune, until you come to stand at the foot of the dark figure. The tune stops, and the torches flare, revealing a large lumpy figure clothed in yellow silken robes trimmed in scarlet. The face of the creature is likewise covered by a yellow mask, obscuring its identity. The figure leans down and softly touches your forehead with a greyish-white paw. There is a white-hot searing pain briefly as it touches you. A disturbing voice fills your psyche whispering words that should be unintelligible, but somehow you understand, “Go. Go, and find your way to me…” With that, the creature pushes your head and you find yourself falling into the well, falling, falling, falling…


    Until you awaken in a cold sweat, the phantom pains of the thing’s alien touch still lingering. Your confusion is gradually replaced with the dawning remembrance of how you came to be here.

    After months of fighting, the Chaos War had finally arrived in Illya. The final battle had been the stuff of legends, and a titanic, hundred-armed monster had been summoned by the Church of Rovagug. The destruction that ensued was almost unimaginable, but finally, mercifully, the foe had been vanquished. A strange twilight-like calmness in the city followed the battle, and nobody knew what to do. Eventually, the various forces withdrew from the city to consolidate, and plan their next moves, while the ordinary citizens were left to pick up the pieces of their broken lives. With no legitimate authority left operating in the city, lawlessness ensued and marauding groups roamed the streets. After a few days it became obvious that something else had changed in Illya. It was impossible to put your finger on it, but something just felt wrong. There was a supernatural energy that pervaded the atmosphere and caused people to become uneasy. People began disappearing. Nobody knew who they could trust. Lifelong friends openly murdered one another for no apparent reason. People screamed randomly in the streets at things others could not perceive. The one thing everyone had in common were the terrifying nightmares, and they often woke unsure of whether they were in the waking world, or simply in another nightmare. Reality seemed warped, and the sane and fearful started to abandon the city en masse. You had also been one of those to leave, fortunate enough to have escaped with your mind intact, you boarded an Illyan naval vessel which was taking on refugees. However, once the ship was out in open sea, the crew corralled all the civilians and imprisoned them below decks for unknown purposes. Those few who yet had the will to resist were killed without hesitation, the rest were simply too bewildered to fight back.

    Now you sit in the rolling dimness of your prison, packed in with numerous others, pondering your fate. As the burning pain in your forehead fades, you realize you feel different upon waking. A subtle power sits dormant in your psyche, but you feel as if you could unleash it if you think about it hard enough...
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-05-31 at 08:52 AM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    "I'd hoped as we left the city the bad dreams would have ceased. Instead they grow more vivid." Geraldine rubs her forehead and groans. "My head is killing me."

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinnovar Elrael gasps involuntarily as he wakes, staring around himself in pain and confusion. As the fog of his nightmare slowly lifts, the horror of his new reality sets in all over again. I told her to meet me! Why isn't she here?! Why in the seven hells did I make her go ahead without me?!

    His heart pounds and he begins to hyperventilate as he feels panic setting in. His eyes dart about the room wildly. Where is she?! Where is she?! WHERE IS SHE?!

    A fresh wave of pain courses through his forehead, shocking him out of the spiralling thoughts. Calm yourself. Breathe. Just how the monks taught you, remember? He forces himself to breathe in slowly through his nose, then out again through his mouth. After a minute, his pulse begins to return to normal.

    You can't help her unless you stop, and think you idiot. You've read enough damn books. What would Kaecillius do? What was the point of hoarding all those stories about him if they won't do you any good now? Okay. Right. He would summon his bow and put an arrow through Corbin and his bastards before they knew what hit them. ...That's not helpful. Okay, no, he would call a storm to turn the boat, or summon an angel to free him. Well, I can't do either of those things, so that's out. Or he would cloak himself in shadows and slip past the lot of them, right under their very noses.


    Quinn lets out a quiet groan, fear beginning to overtake him again. Except you can't do that either, because you're a damn shopkeep, not a legendary hero. You're not Kaecillius. You're a useless, snivelling child. No wonder your parents didn't want you. No wonder Deeanna-

    The pain stabs at his forehead again, almost as though it was telling him to get a grip. NO. Pull it together Quinn. You have to be brave. For her. For Deeanna. You're not a legendary warrior, but you'll have to do.

    He stares around the room again, taking in his surroundings with renewed determination. Kaecillius didn't do it alone, did he? He had allies. What about Grokar, the mighty warrior with a sword as tall as he was? What about Shanti, the sorceress who could set the very air on fire around her? They were no Kaecillius, sure, but they weren't useless either. Maybe some of these people can help me too.

    He looks over the other captives, then clears his throat and speaks, doing his best to keep his voice from shaking.

    "So, does anyone have any ideas for getting out of here?"

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe wakes up, bolting upright from where he lay asleep. He finds that he was yelling in his sleep. He looks drearily around the room without saying a word. His nightmares began after his family was murdered. When the chaos began and others started having nightmares his just changed. Now mixed with dreams recalling the mutilated bodies of his family he suffers dreams of a strange otherworldly nature.

    Farmer Joe gave up the illusion of self preservation and real concern for the world around him weeks ago. His entire being has been one slowly consuming torrent of emotions, hatred, fear, and Despair which has culminated in a all consuming anger. The wild wanderings of a broken mind became mailable and receptive. Joe prayed to the unknown offering his eternal service in exchange for the power to seek vengence.

    In Joe's darkest moment, in the lowest valley of misery something has answered his plea. Where the swelling tides of a dozen emotions constituting his misery once dwelled, one furnace of rage has taken its place. An anger so all consuming that Farmer Joe has learned he never truely felt emotion until now.

    Joe is no longer alone, something or someone has taken residence in his mind...

    Joe answers none of the questions. Nor replies to thier statements. His world, and the metrics by which he measures it have fundamentally changed.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I will claim The same colour as all my other charactersm

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Escape, she thinks, but to where?

    "Friend, if we were anywhere else I would help you dig a tunnel to freedom, but here" (she taps her staff on the deck) "that would only get us drowned. I do not swim, you see."

    She looks around in the dimness, her angular face and sharp eyes turning slowly over their surroundings.

    "There may be nothing in our circumstances to give us any grounds for hope. But I admire your capacity to dream, nonetheless."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn turns away from the group in a huff. Big help that was. "I'm not suggesting we swim for it.This is a navy ship, right? So maybe they have smaller boats for getting to land without a dock, or for evacuating in an emergency. Maybe we could steal one."

    He stares around at the hold, looking for anything that might prove helpful in escaping.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How are we restrained? Are we chained up or free to roam? How is the door secured? Do we have all our belongings?
    Last edited by H. Von Studley; 2018-05-06 at 08:10 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    As you sit there talking about potential methods of escape the conversation is suddenly cut short as one of the other prisoners who was asleep begins convulsing and screaming on the floor. This goes on for several seconds, and as everyone looks on aghast, the colour begins to drain from the prisoner’s skin. His screaming begins to lose intensity, and he stops thrashing. Finally, his body goes rigid, and his skin becomes the colour of ash, with one remarkable exception; a strange rune glows brightly on his forehead, then dims, until ultimately it fades to the same colour as the rest of the skin. You recall this individual having been acting strangely the last day or two.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If anyone has knowledge local they can make a roll to figure out what is going on with the guy. Knowledge nature to figure out why he had been acting strangely before now.

    You are free to walk around, though the space is cramped with other prisoners. There is a steel lattice that keeps you locked in from the rest of the hold, and there is a man sized door in it, but it is kept locked. There is a bucket in one corner for waste which gets emptied by the cabin boy once a day, but he is accompanied by an armed sailor. So far, all attempts at conversation with them have been met with silence. Moldy bread is brought in daily as well. It's not very good, but they supply enough to keep everyone from going hungry.
    Most of your possessions were taken away once you were imprisoned, including bags/weapons. You might have gotten away with a small object or two hidden in your clothes if you were lucky.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe watches the stranger convulsing on the deck with mild interest, and a shadow of sympathy. Another victim. And his anger burns hotter. He thinks over his natural knowledge, gained through a life of farming and depending on nature. To see if he can identify what afflicts the stranger.

    (1d20+4)[24] Knowledge Nature

    Joe listens to the conversations of those around him and shakes his head. "Look at this place. They appear very practiced at kidnapping. I doubt they forgot the key in the lock." His voice is dripping in anger, he lays back down and closes his eyes.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe isn't sure what is causing the affliction itself, but he's quite certain that the cause for his strange behavior before this point is some sort of a drug withdrawal. Obviously, being held captive on the ship has cut him off from his supply, though what link this could have to what just happened to the man now is a mystery to Joe.

    However, one of the other captives volunteers, "I seen this happen in Illya just last week! Some beggar in th'alley down from me had that same mark show on his head, just like that! An' I heard it happened to a few people. They were having visions an' stuff. Said the 'shiver' was helping make it better."

    The commotion has drawn the attention of some of the crew. Three men armed with swords come down from the deck. They see the man lying on the floor, jaw open in a silent scream, and pale as death. “The fok happened here?” says one of the sailors in dismay. When nobody answers, the sailor opens the cage and enters with his two compatriots brandishing their swords to keep everyone at bay. “Oi! Get up!” the sailor shouts, kicking the body, which only rocks stiffly in response. “We got another one, Val,” says one of the other sailors, “Poke ‘im, see if ‘e’s dead.” The sailor complies, tentatively at first, then stabbing right through the body. No blood exits the wound. “This is messed up,” says Val, “Once was bad 'nuff. Somethin' bad goin' on in Illya, an' I don't wanna get mixed up in whatever it is. The place is cursed, I tell ya. I’m done after this batch is sold… alright, get 'im outta here boys.”
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-05-07 at 12:55 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn steps forward, palms out non-threateningly. "Wait! Has this happened to someone else aboard the ship? I've read a lot, I know the old stories. If this really is a curse then perhaps I could help."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Does Quinn recognise the rune, or has he ever heard of this happening before?

    Knowledge (History): (1d20+8)[16]
    Knowledge (Planes): (1d20+8)[19]

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    "Great, not only are we going to be slaves but there is a bloody cures." Farmer Joe grumbles without opening his eyes or turning his head. He clenches his fists at his side in anger and grinding his teeth. "If I get out of here..."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    "A curse..."

    Spoiler: OOC - Religion?
    Show
    (1d20+7)[24]


    Geraldine walks over to the body and looks at the rune. She gets rather close to one of the guards/sailors, and scopes him out as well, looking for any symbol that might indicate a faith.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    The sailors exchange uncertain glances, realizing they've probably already said too much, but the possibility that Quinn might know something piques their interest. Val speaks in a conspiratorial tone, "Well, you guys 're our second run. On the first run we had another prisoner had the same thing happen to 'im, and a few more were actin' pretty strange. We came in from the Shield as backup for Illya, but the fightin' was basically done when we showed up. The cap'n realized nobody was really takin' charge no more, so 'e made us a proper-sition that would make us some good money. Anyone 'oo wanted out was allowed ta leave, but no one wanted, cuz' everything was crazy everywhere an' we 'ad a tight crew. So, we kidnapped a bunch o' civilians tryin' to excape the city, an' we sold 'em in Zarga. Anyhow, I'm ramblin', but after we got the money, it dint sit well with a few folks, so they stayed in port. Almost stayed there m'self, but I needed the money, an' so I came for a secon' run. But then this here fella jus' did the same as the last, an' it's givin' me the heebie jeebies, y'know? Somethin' foul is goin' on in Illya, an' I want no part in it! So whaddaya know about that, eh?"

    Spoiler: Rune
    Show


    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    Quinn hasn't heard of anything like this before, with the exception of what has been happening in Illya in recent weeks. Whether or not it is a "curse", an illness, or something else, Quinn isn't sure, but the people in Illya have taken to calling it the "Nightmare Plague".

    As for the rune, Quinn recognizes it from a book of research notes he read once.The book came in a box with a broken old astrologer's telescope that he acquired at an auction. The writing was fairly technical and prosaic for the most part, Quinn recalls, up until the page with this rune. This particular entry referred to a distant planet called Aucturn, and the entire tone of all entries from this point on is wild and often unintelligible. It seems whoever wrote it became obsessed with the matter and began having visions. The book ends very abruptly, so there is no telling what happened to the author, who is never identified. Based on what you had been able to decipher at the time, the author claims that the planet is in constant flux, and is alive, but little else is clear about it. Quinn is not familiar with any other reference to Auturn, or why the rune would be appearing on people's heads.


    Spoiler: Geraldine
    Show
    Geri is not familiar with the rune, nor any curse that might have caused this. The closest thing she can think up is maybe some severe combination of Fevered Dreams and Dissolution, but even that seems a bit of a stretch.

    Geri identifies a small, faded tattoo on Val's neck as the leaf of Gozreh. He doesn't strike her as a religious type, but probably superstitious.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-09-19 at 01:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    The sailors exchange uncertain glances, realizing they've probably already said too much, but the possibility that Quinn might know something piques their interest. Val speaks in a conspiratorial tone, "So, we kidnapped a bunch o' civilians tryin' to excape the city, an' we sold 'em in Zarga. Anyhow, I'm ramblin', but after we got the money, it dint sit well with a few folks, so they stayed in port. Almost stayed there m'self, but I needed the money, an' so I came for a secon' run. But then this here fella jus' did the same as the last, an' it's givin' me the heebie jeebies, y'know? Somethin' foul is goin' on in Illya, an' I want no part in it! So whaddaya know about that, eh?"
    Jeri is shocked to hear this. "Oh no! NO! I have heard of this curse just once before, from a sailor out of Kirioth - this is indeed a foul omen! Do not think it comes from Illya, though: no, it is a curse you have brought on your ship by trafficking in innocent people! I would not be surprised if someone on your crew is next! Woe to all of us who have seen this! We must get clean, and off this ship!" She cowers a few steps back, warding herself against such evil.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    She waits to see if he buys it. Worst case, it's just something new for his Heebie-Jeebie file. Bluff, just in case: (1d20+7)[19]

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn glances over at Jeri, surprised. Okay, maybe these people could be some help after all. He turns back to the sailor and nods gravely. "She's right. I read about something like this a few years ago. Some spirits do not look kindly on slave ships. They seek to purge them from existence, and they save the most horrible deaths for the slavers themselves. Still, it may not be too late to appease whatever spirit has found us."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Rolling aid another for Archy's bluff check (DC 10):

    (1d20+7)[24]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Val goes nearly as pale as the body lying on the floor, and his companions look just as scared as he. "Damnit!" he exclaims, "I knew this were a bad idea!" He walks backward out of the room warily, eyeing the body. The other two follow, deciding it might just be better to leave the dead man with the prisoners for now.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-05-08 at 08:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn holds out his hands. "Wait! The spirit can still be appeased. If you were to help free us, you might be spared."

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sense motive to see if Farmer Joe believes this. He is not an educated man. (1d20+1)[4]

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    "Bloody Gozreh, a curse! As if I wasn't cursed enough! In all the hells, I swear the gods have it against me!" Farner Joe is clearly extremely agitated, and his anger is building. You bloody fools! At least my eternal soul will cost you your own damnation you bastards. What are you going to do to fix this?"

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Val looks at his companions, "I don' know man, I don' think the cap'n would be pleased about that, an' to be honest, I'm more feared to be on his bad side than some angry spirit." The other sailors nod their heads in agreement, "They don' call the ship The Noose fer nothin'! 'Sides, it's the cap'n's responsibility, so the spirit can be mad at him if anybody!"Val closes the door and locks it. "Mighty sorry lads, ye'll have ta take it up with the cap'n!". He might be superstitious, but he's also a coward.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn sighs and slumps back down against the bars. So much for that idea. Bloody pirates. You'd think you could rely on them to look after their own skin if nothing else.

    He scratches his chin. Strange to see this rune again. Could it actually have some connection to a missing planet and the ravings of a madman? Surely just a coincidence.

    He leans over and begins eyeing off the cargo beyond the bars, looking for anything with which they might pick the lock, or put to some other use.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe watches the figures depart fuming with anger. For a few moments he stands up to pace back and forth, then he goes and sits in the corner staring at the shadows and talking quietly to himself under his breath. He voice is just low enough that only an occasional word can be heard. ".... -astards... killed ... Delilah ..... monsters...... Annabell. After a few moments Joe begins to sob quietly into the shadowy corner he has chosen.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn looks out the bars. The cargo is well beyond the reach of their prison, and the crew seems to have done a good job of ensuring that nothing was overlooked. The prisoners are left alone with the pale corpse for a few hours before someone else enters.

    The sound of solid foot steps precedes the appearance of a tall, broad-shouldered man wearing a captain's bicorn. He approaches the metal lattice, remaining about arm's length away, and regards the corpse with some interest. Up close, you can see he has a long full beard, oiled and streaked with silver, hard facial features, and intelligent eyes. An ornate rapier is sheathed at his side, and his uniform is impeccable despite signs of wear from long use. The captain strokes his beard thoughtfully, then clasps his hands behind his back and addresses the prisoners in a pleasant tone.

    "I'll make no bones about it. You're all in quite a pickle. I understand that you have all lost much in recent weeks, as has everyone in the Imperium. You fled Illya because your lives were falling apart. I am now conducting you safely across the sea to Zarga, where I intend to profit from your sale. I am not a cruel man, but I can be severe. I do not wish to see you suffer more than you ought, and for many of you, slavery will actually be an improvement on your miserable lives. Most of you will be safe, well-fed, and sheltered, which is more than can be said of staying in Illya. Zarga's laws on slavery are rather progressive, which is why I've brought you here.

    Now, on my last run a couple of peculiar things occurred. First of all, one of my "guests" was struck down by an affliction identical to the one that beset the man on the floor in there. It was reported to me that a rune was seen briefly upon his head. Now I am not knowledgeable in the arcane arts, and once the body was thrown overboard, I thought nothing else of it. However, once we arrived in Zarga and the slave auction began, two of my charges received special attention by an individual with a covered face and wearing a turban, whom I had never seen before. He paid an uncommonly high price for them, in rubies no less. Surprised, I gave them closer scrutiny, but could not identify anything special about them, and so, once the rubies were properly appraised, I concluded the sale. This entire experience has been on my mind ever since, and now it seems to be happening again.

    What I would like to do now is identify whether any similar such persons are among you, but I do not yet have the means to do so. Which now leaves myself as the one in a pickle. If any of you have been having "visions" or other unusual things happening to them, I would like to discuss them with you and learn why you are so valuable. Once we arrive in Zarga, I will hire someone gifted in spellcraft to verify your account. I give you my solemn oath that if you are found to be of special use to me, you will profit greatly. However, if you are found to be deceiving me, it shall be the noose for you. If you hide your knowledge from me and the mysterious slave merchant betrays your value, I shall refuse to sell you, and I will take your secret by other methods.

    Now, if anyone has something to share, you will be invited to dine with me in my cabin. Do I have any takers?"
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-05-10 at 11:53 AM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe is still weeping in his corner. Lost in a sea of bitter anger and dispair. The Captain is two thirds done his monologue before Joe even realizes he is there and stops the lamentous noise.

    "Unusual things happening to me you bastard! Would you like me to start by telling you how my family was eaten alive by unholy monsters? Or how I watched the entire world I know get torn up by some creature? The few friends I had left were killed in the city. Or I can tell you about how I am now to be sold as a slave? And you are asking me about visions! I can hardly sleep for the nightmares! Just hang me already!

    Farmer Joe's sorrow has suddenly flipped to rage once more. He begins pacing back and forth through the cell, in what little space he has to pace. Throwing angry glances at the Captain while he does. His emotions are clearly unstable.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    "The few friends I had left were killed in the city. Or I can tell you about how I am now to be sold as a slave? And you are asking me about visions! I can hardly sleep for the nightmares! Just hang me already!

    Farmer Joe's sorrow has suddenly flipped to rage once more.
    Jeri approaches the bars of the cell and answers the captain herself. "No, I am the one with the visions! I see you clearly, and it is not the poor farmer who will hang but you: hanging from the yardarm for piracy and slavemongering! I can see the shadow of death over you even now!"

    She points at/above the captain, and indeed, he appears as if draped in shadow.

    Spoiler: OOC - Basic Chaokinesis
    Show
    Seeing if the "create a shadow to protect from bright light for 1 hour" feature can be used for effect, here.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2018-05-10 at 03:29 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    "Just hang me already!"
    The captain raises an eyebrow, but responds calmly, "That can easily be arranged. But I would learn about your nightmares first."

    Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    "No, I am the one with the visions! I see you clearly, and it is not the poor farmer who will hang but you: hanging from the yardarm for piracy and slavemongering! I can see the shadow of death over you even now!"

    She points at/above the captain, and indeed, he appears as if draped in shadow.
    He appears intrigued at the demonstration, and loses interest in Joe. "Well, well! What have we here? The little beastie still has some fight in her! Let me tell you something girl; there are far worse fates than slavery. You think appealing to justice is going to get you anywhere with the current state of affairs? I am the shadow of death, and I have delivered many souls to the Lady of Graves. I have no fear of her. Now do you wish to come talk with me willingly, or shall I take you by force?"
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    The captain appears intrigued at the demonstration, and loses interest in Joe. "Well, well! What have we here? The little beastie still has some fight in her! Let me tell you something girl; there are far worse fates than slavery. You think appealing to justice is going to get you anywhere with the current state of affairs? I am the shadow of death, and I have delivered many souls to the Lady of Graves. I have no fear of her. Now do you wish to come talk with me willingly, or shall I take you by force?"
    Jeri shakes her head. "What is there to talk about? Unlike you, I do not revel in the evil in the world, and your threats definitely don't make me feel like helping you in your little schemes or 'adding value'. Shove off."

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Joe's eyes open wide in shock. "There is a curse! We are all cursed!" he yells loudly in a panic. "How will the curse manifest itself next? What strange mishaps wait for us? I have heard of cursed flying objects, and evil phantoms of doom!"

    Joe points at the only free object near him in his panic. He casts Telekinetic projectile on the poop bucket. The target of the spell is the Captain. If it works Joe will continue babbling at the top of his lungs. "It is starting! We are all doomed! Doomed I say! Pray for your eternal souls to whatever Gods will hear your plea!" From that point his babbling devolves into incoherent ramblings.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Jeri shakes her head. "What is there to talk about? Unlike you, I do not revel in the evil in the world, and your threats definitely don't make me feel like helping you in your little schemes or 'adding value'. Shove off."
    "You mistake me, girl. I do not revel in evil. Far from it in fact. I am simply an opportunist looking to make the best of a bad situation. I would suggest you do the same. If you cooperate with me, I can improve your situation. If you do not... well, you have information I want, and though I would rather not resort to cruder methods, I will if I must. Either way I get what I need. It's your call whether you benefit or suffer for it."

    Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    Joe can roll a ranged touch attack against AC 12 to see if the projectile hits its intended target. The bars will prevent the bucket from hitting him, but the contents might hit. A natural 1 will result in the contents actually splashing backwards and all over the other prisoners.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: touch attack
    Show
    Joe's ranged touch attack. (1d20)[13]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •