New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

Joe looks questioningly at the stranger who stands expectantly on the deck. "Think so?" Joe responds to some comment that apparently no-one but him can hear. After a moments hesitation Joe just shakes his head and follows the figure on deck. He won't wait for the figure to lead, and just starts toward the Captain's cabin.

2. - Top - End - #122

Spoiler: Jeri
    Show
    "The minds of all dreaming creatures construct this place subconsciously. Most of them are unaware of it, trapped in their own demiplanes. Your mind has simply been opened to this reality by my master. This is a real place, and you will experience both pain and pleasure, but it exists solely in your mind. Your waking body will be unaffected. You may also exert mental power to cause things to happen here, but your mind must be strong to do so. Strong enough to overpower the collective consciousness of this place, which is difficult at first, but with practice it becomes easier." The figure stands by patiently waiting for Jeri to board the ship as she experiments with her abilities.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As far as I can tell, the Wild Magic trait does not affect Supernatural Abilities, but it does affect SLA's, so Gather Power should work as expected.

Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    Joe enters the cabin which opens to stairs leading below decks. He finds himself standing before a large, grotesque creature which looks like a massive pale frog with tentacles where its mouth is, no eyes, and clawed hands.
    He feels an extraordinary psychic push on his mind.

Show
    Joe must attempt a DC 22 Will save

Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    The figure flinches briefly as Quinn mentions the master. "The High Priest is not to be described!" the thing shouts inexplicably. A tense moment passes before it continues, "The High Priest has awakened you for reasons only he can know. It is not for us to question." It stalks toward the cabin and holds the door open gesturing to Quinn to enter with a clawed hand
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-08-20 at 02:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show

Spoiler: GM of...
    Show
    WAKING NIGHTMARES (Page Link) (Map Link)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show
    Good to have you back Aeryk!

Quinn recoils from the creature's outburst. Eager to get away from it, he squeezes past and through the open door.

4. - Top - End - #124

Quote Originally Posted by H. Von Studley View Post
    Quinn recoils from the creature's outburst. Eager to get away from it, he squeezes past and through the open door.
    Show
    Quinn enters the cabin which opens to stairs leading below decks. He finds himself standing before a large, grotesque creature which looks like a massive pale frog with tentacles where its mouth is, no eyes, and clawed hands.
    He feels an extraordinary psychic push on his mind.

Show
    Quinn must attempt a DC 22 Will save

Show

Show

5. - Top - End - #125

DwarfFighterGuy

Joe steps back in disgust and a certain measure of fear do to the unexpected creature he is surprised to encounter.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I forget if he has his weapons.

6. - Top - End - #126

DwarfFighterGuy

Will save (1d20+8)[12]

Get +4 because of his phantom

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quinn recoils in horror from the creature. He feels its awful presence clawing at his mind, and he tries desperately to keep it at bay. Just think of Deeanna. Just think of Deeanna. JustthinkofDeeanna...

Show
    Wow, that picture is properly horrifying. I don't think Quinn is going to be resisting that.

Will save: (1d20+2)[4] (+2 if this is an enchantment effect)

Also Aeryk, I forgot to mention it before but Quinn has a permanent Detect Magic effect going due to his Fey-sighted racial power. Has he detected anything so far? Would that trigger the wild magic rules?

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Jeri boards the ship, letting her power slowly relax again around her. "Show me what you wanted to show me, then."

9. - Top - End - #129

Show
    Jeri enters the cabin which opens to stairs leading below decks. She finds herself standing before a large, grotesque creature which looks like a massive pale frog with tentacles where its mouth is, no eyes, and clawed hands.
    She feels an extraordinary psychic push on her mind.

Spoiler: OOC Note
    Show
    Each of you has succumbed to a Dominate Person spell

Spoiler: Each of you, separately
    Show
    You find yourself a prisoner in your own body, unable to do anything you want, and subject to the whim of this terrible creature. You sense that the extent of this control is not enough to cause you to do anything obviously harmful to yourself, but otherwise you seemingly have no self control. You remain in this state for an indeterminate length of time, perhaps an hour, perhaps a week. Under the influence of this spell within the dreamscape it is impossible to tell. You are forced to do menial tasks around the black vessel, never afforded an opportunity to rest, all the while the ship is quiet except for the disconcerting sounds of tentacles and the grating tones of the stranger’s indecipherable native language.

Eventually the vessel docks and you are ushered out by the turbaned stranger and into the dark halls you recognize from your previous dream, except this time everything is more real. Your feet force you down the hall to the domed room. The stranger stops at the doorway as you continue in, then closes the door behind you, but staying out of the room himself (herself?) As soon as the door closes, you feel the enchantment release you, and you are once again in control of yourself, free of the beast’s alien influence.

You see the same yellow robed figure at the top of the dais which you saw before. For a moment you feel bizarre and unsettling force in the room, but as quickly as you feel it, it disappears.
    Show
    Quinn however senses a simply overwhelming aura from the High Priest. This being possesses deity level power.

"And so you have come to the High Priest," a voice speaks into your mind. The voice has an unusual quality to it, as though gibberish is coalescing into sensible words. The Priest stays seated at the top of the dais, his upper features obscured in darkness, only the hem of his robes drape down into the low light of the room. The well in the center of the chamber yawns unfathomably deep, seemingly beckoning you to step into it. The same six altars of stone surrounding it that you remember from your previous dream are no longer covered in blood, but look clean and smooth. "A thing has happened to unbalance the boundaries between your world and mine," The Priest continues, "The ancient magic bindings have been unmade and the Dreamstone has been awakened by Rovagug's actions. The dreams are siphoning into the waking realm, and the minds of the simple cannot withstand it. Desna has fallen and all becomes chaos. Mog-Lathar seeks to breach the veil of dreams and destroy us as well. This must not be. You must retrieve the dreamstone and bring it here. None beside me have the power to safe-keep it. Without it, this world shall consume the other. There are two others of strong mind whom I have blessed with my mark. Even now my servants seek you out to bring you bodily to me, that I may empower you to this task."
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-09-13 at 09:52 AM.
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    Jeri feels an extraordinary psychic push on her mind.

The Priest stays seated at the top of the dais, his upper features obscured in darkness, only the hem of his robes drape down into the low light of the room. The well in the center of the chamber yawns unfathomably deep, seemingly beckoning you to step into it. "The ancient magic bindings have been unmade and the Dreamstone has been awakened by Rovagug's actions. The dreams are siphoning into the waking realm, and the minds of the simple cannot withstand it. Desna has fallen and all becomes chaos. Mog-Lathar seeks to breach the veil of dreams and destroy us as well. This must not be. You must retrieve the dreamstone and bring it here. None beside me have the power to safe-keep it. Without it, this world shall consume the other. There are two others of strong mind whom I have blessed with my mark. Even now my servants seek you out to bring you bodily to me, that I may empower you to this task."
    "Blasphemy! Mother Moon still soars in the sky, the Princess of Dreams, the Sandwoman Desna! And who are you to think you could do what a god could not?"

Jeri cackles. "I mean, honestly, I don't know who you are."

And slightly under her breath, "And why does every two-bit kidnapper think I might want to help them lately?" She shakes her head.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2018-09-13 at 11:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131

Show
    "What are the gods to the likes of me?! I have roamed the Dark Tapestry even before the birth of their likes. As surely as I have granted you your powers, I can take them away! Harken unto my words! Without your aid Mog-Lathar and the Leng Spiders will surely strip away the boundaries between our worlds and bring suffering to us all. Alas, I am intrinsically bound to this plane and unable to stop them myself and must rely upon the aid of mere mortals. I cannot defeat them while restrained so, and Desna has already fallen. I alone can grant you the power to succeed where we have failed, but only if the dreamstone is recovered."
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #132

DwarfFighterGuy

Joe endures the slavery of his mind, submitting to what he takes as his final madness. Right at the instant of possession Joe sensed a new ability to shunt mind effects into his phantom. However at this point he has largely given up. He broods with anger, and would be quick to strike out if given the chance.

When the strange being presents it's case Joe listen's with disinterest, he seems to think this just another of his wandering dreams. However at the end of the beings speech Joe seems to be listening to another voice... "You think this is real?" Joe looks skeptically at the world around him, "I can not tell my waking nightmares from my sleeping any more. And all I loved has already been destroyed. Why should I believe, and why should I care? His voice is once again becoming tinted with anger.

13. - Top - End - #133

Show
    "Indeed, even now others experience the broken boundaries between the dream world and the waking world. Reality becomes more and more fluid each day, and even I am prone to the insanity this causes. I can give you the power to destroy those who have destroyed what you have loved. I alone can grant you your wishes if you would serve me. All I need is for you to come to me in body, and not just in mind. My servants search for you and two others, whom I have also marked and blessed with power."
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Show
    Do any of those names ring a bell for Quinn?
    History: (1d20+8)[21]
    Planes: (1d20+8)[25]

Quinn's mind races at the bizarre situation. Well, I've either gone completely mad, or I really am caught up in some storybook adventure. Be brave Quinn. Be brave...

He stares up at the podium, trying to keep his voice from wavering. "And who are you to bring me here against my will, then ask this of me? What is the dreamstone?"

15. - Top - End - #135

DwarfFighterGuy

Joe considers these things, "The power to bring revenge against those who have wronged me. And the ability to grant what I wish. Can you reunite me with my family, either in the waking world or this one?" Joe pauses considering the creature then makes a decision before it has a chance to respond. "If you can do both these things I shall serve you without question. When I die for you bring me to your realm to be with my family. For this I will do whatever you ask."

FYI Joe has not had any teaching on the afterlife or the planes. So he has no idea if this is possible.

16. - Top - End - #136

Show
    The High Priest replies in a low, dangerous voice which rises into an unearthly crescendo. Who am I? I? I am the King in Yellow, the true lord of the Dimension of Dreams! None shall dispute my rule here! MY NAME IS TOO POWERFUL FOR MERE MORTALS TO BEAR IT! TO LOOK UPON MY VISAGE WOULD DESTROY YOU, BODY AND SOUL! MY TRUE FORM IS INCOMPREHENSIBLE; INDESCRIBABLE TO YOUR MIND! I AM THE HIGH PRIEST NOT-TO-BE-DESCRIBED!"
    Show
    Think similar to Galadriel in this scene.

Indeed, just hearing him speak so, Quinn's mind strains to concentrate on the words and verges on breaking. He is certain that should the Priest will it, he would truly go mad simply by remaining in his presence.

An echoing whisper of the High Priest's last words reverberates for several moments before he speaks plainly again. "But I digress. Even I must rely on inferior beings to accomplish my goals. In exchange, I offer you power. Power unlike any you have tasted before. And I shall grant you a wish, should I find your service pleasing to me."

"Perhaps you have heard of the event known as Earthfall on your world? Even here the fragments of the Starstone had an effect. One landed here and absorbed the energies of the Dreamlands and began to change the planar properties of this realm. When people would dream, whatever they experienced here would take effect on them in the waking world also. Many died or lost their sanity. Entities from this realm would latch onto the dreamers' minds and follow them back into the waking world causing untold chaos. This went on for a time before the Dreamstone was clandestinely removed from the Dimension of Dreams and secretly sealed away in a location which was unknown until now. The recent events of Rovagug and his followers broke the strong magical barriers sealing the Dreamstone in your world in the city of Illya. Should the Dreamstone be left unchecked, its power will consume both our worlds."

Spoiler: Knowledge
    Show
    Quinn recalls an obscure reference to the name Mog-Lathar, something to do with a supposed secret sect of Desna worshipers. It was a monstrous spider from an unknown plane called Leng, and led an assault against the Desnans, but was ultimately defeated. Wherever Quinn heard this from he most likely would have dismissed it as some distorted myth until now, as there was no other supporting evidence or legends about it.

As for Earthfall, I do sometimes make reference to aspects of the Golarion. Illya, the Imperial City is roughly the equivalent of Absalom, and this adventure is sort of a standalone sequel to a campaign I ran years ago that brandnewb was part of, hence the background story of the Chaos War and it’s factions, etc. Earthfall would be a commonly known historic event in this setting.

Show
    The High-Priest inclines his head,"These things I can grant you. When my servant finds you, go with him. He will bring you to me, and I will empower you."
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-09-19 at 12:43 PM.
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Jeri presses on, "But who ARE you?"

Show
    ...And I'm assuming she gets a reply a bit like Quinn's?

"Well... what is this dream-stone? What does it look like? And what's the point if we can't help Desna?"

18. - Top - End - #138

Show

Show
    Yes, his reply is the same as his reply to Quinn, as well as the explanation of the Dreamstone.

In response, the High-Priest conjures the image of a stone about the size of a melon in the air in front of Jeri. The stone is rugged and dark, but sparkles in the violet-blue light engulfing it.

The King in Yellow continues, "Goddesses are not killed so easily. At the moment of her defeat to Mog-Lathar, she split her consciousness into several parts. She wanders the world yet, but significantly diminished. It is likely that she is recuperating and hiding herself, biding her time until she can return to her former glory. With the Dreamstone's energies running amok she shall remain powerless."
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-09-19 at 01:51 PM.
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Run! A primal part of Quinn's mind screams at him, desperate to escape the Priest's terrible display.

Still, something holds him in place though. Quinn is more surprised than anyone to find himself replying, his voice remarkably steady.

"If it will restore the world from the brink of chaos, and if you will return me and my wife to safety, I will help you. But how do I know I can trust what you say? How do I know this is anything more than a strange, drug-induced dream?"

20. - Top - End - #140

DwarfFighterGuy

Josaphat’s eyes brighten. A small seed of hope has been planted in a life that is awash in a sea of despair and anger. The seed’s sprout is still small and frail, battered by the tides of madness. If tended and given the chance these roots may yet take hold. The seed has been sown in the soils of insanity, and hold the potential for a deep rooted foothold that only true madness can provide. He starts mumbling incoherently to himself, as if consulting with some other unknown being, then falls down to his knees. “We pledge our service to you Dream Lord.”

21. - Top - End - #141

Show
    Quinn hears the Priest draw in a long, rasping breath, then sigh out, "Aaahhhhhhh, yesssss. Sweet, sweet Deeanna. What wouldn't you give to see her once more, to hold her in your arms?"

Quinn watches the Priest's grey hand reach down, then rise slowly, palm up. As he does so, an image of Deeanna resolves before Quinn. She looks just as Quinn remembers her, but she peers desperately into his eyes, "Why? Why did you abandon me?"

"Reality is what we make it Quinnovar Elrael."
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2018-09-20 at 10:35 AM.
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #142

Show
    The High Priest sounds pleased as he replies, "Good. Very good, my servant. Now come to me."

With that said, the dream begins to collapse in upon itself and Joe finds himself suddenly drawn back into the material plane. However, he finds his mind is a little foggy and confused. Argoth, Quinn, and Jeri and look to be asleep. Joe notes as well that the men Caelus left in the salon are also asleep, and have been hogtied by Mr. Colville, who is standing patiently nearby.

Show
    Joe takes (1d3)[1] wisdom damage from the effects of the tea, and must attempt a DC 20 Fort save to resist becoming addicted.
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #143

DwarfFighterGuy

Joe comes groggily awake and looks around the room in confusion from his sudden wakefulness. He feels very strange, and is struggling with the after effects of the drug. He feels their imprisoning effect taking hold of him, and becomes angered by the hold it appears to be attempting on him.
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

With the emotional Conduit Feat Joe can cast Bust of Adrenaline as a spontaneous action. Giving him +8 to con for this roll to resist addiction.
    Avoid addiction (1d20+9)[25]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryk View Post
    The King in Yellow continues, "Goddesses are not killed so easily. At the moment of her defeat to Mog-Lathar, she split her consciousness into several parts. She wanders the world yet, but significantly diminished. It is likely that she is recuperating and hiding herself, biding her time until she can return to her former glory. With the Dreamstone's energies running amok she shall remain powerless."
    Jeri nods slowly, and says, "Fine. I shall help you to restore Desna. Why do you care, though, if all this is as nothing to you?"

25. - Top - End - #145

Show
    "I care nothing for Desna. However, her magic was what kept the Dreamstone sealed in the first place, but without her, the Dreamstone will consume both your plane and mine, and Mog-Lathar grows more and more powerful with every passing day. Were I not bound here, I would retrieve the Dreamstone myself, but alas, it is not so."

"I accept your service, I need only for you to let my servants find you and bring you to me bodily that I might give you the power you require to accomplish your task. Go!"

The High Priest waves his hand in a gesture of dismissal without waiting to see if Jeri has anything else to say. The dream begins to collapse in upon itself and Jeri finds herself suddenly drawn back into the material plane. However, she finds her mind is a little foggy and confused. Argoth and Quinn look to be asleep, but Joe is sitting up looking around in a daze. Jeri notes as well that the men Caelus left in the salon are also asleep, and have been hogtied by Mr. Colville, who is standing patiently nearby.

Show
    Jeri takes (1d3)[3] wisdom damage from the effects of the tea, and must attempt a DC 20 Fort save to resist becoming addicted.
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quinn's vision blurs for a moment as his eyes fill with tears. "Deeanna! No, no I didn't! I couldn't. They left without me, and then I was captured and enslaved on another ship. But I'm coming. I will find you!"

He drags his gaze up and away from the conjuration and stares hard into the Priest's mysterious hood. It felt more real than anything he had ever experienced. Whether that was because the figure was telling the truth, or because his longing had outstripped his reason, he did not know. But he knew he had to take the risk.

"I will do as you ask."

Show
    What a cool scene for everyone. Good on you Aeryk.

27. - Top - End - #147

Show
    "You shall not be disappointed." The Priest replies, waving his hand dismissively. The dream begins to collapse in upon itself and Quinn finds himself suddenly drawn back into the material plane. However, he finds his mind is a little foggy and confused. Jeri and Joe look like they've only just awoken, but Quinn notes that the men Caelus left in the salon are also asleep, and have been hogtied by Mr. Colville, who is standing patiently nearby.

Show
    Quinn takes (1d3)[2] wisdom damage from the effects of the tea, and must attempt a DC 20 Fort save to resist becoming addicted.

Also, thanks for the feedback, glad you guys are enjoying it. This format is a lot more storylike than the Roll20 campaign, which is cool. Roll20 I find handles the tabletop portion better, but gitp lends itself more to RP.

Madame Argoth opens her eyes, as if from meditation. Her expression is difficult to read due to her drooping face, but there is curiosity in her eyes. She speaks to the party through her message board, "M-U-S-T N-O-T G-O. T-R-A-P."
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #148

DwarfFighterGuy

Farmer Joe looks at the strange women for several moments paralyzed by indecision. He makes no attempt to move at first. Then finally he stands and walks his way over to one of the hog-tied men and searches him for a weapon to keep. He mumbles to himself all the while, finally he seems to regain focus and asks.
    “Look, Who are you? Who was he? and Why do you think it is a trap? ” Joe begins mumbling questions to himself, “Was it real? Could we tell? Dreaming?”

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quinn slowly wakes, almost reluctant to pull himself from the warm stupor of the tea. He stares foggily at Argoth, confused and waiting to hear her response to Joe.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Jeri groggily takes in Joe's questions. She directs one of her own at Mr. Colville, though, when she finally speaks: "So, is this some kind of a coup, then?"

"Maybe I should just have a bit more of that tea..."