The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 340
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by brandnewb View Post
    Joe eyes the Captain suspiciously, "Setting sail again..." he trails off into mumbling. He will follow along with the Captain, talking to himself quietly. When they get away Joe will say to the Captain. "Why are we off to steal anything? Seems like we are less likely to get on the wrong side of the town guard if we just call a bunch of lads from your crew and come back here to kill some criminals and muggers."

    "And whats this about sailing away again?" Farmer Joe does not look at all impressed.
    Caelus leads the group back out of the ‘temple’ and answers Joe as they leave, “True, but this way I might make a friend of him, and you never know when that might come in useful later. Just don’t get caught, and we won’t have to worry about the town guard. Anyway, the bit about setting sail won’t be for a while yet, don’t worry.”

    As you all step outside, Caelus nods to his men, then speaks, “Alright, let’s go check this place out, see what we can glean. I say case it now, then go back after dark and get what we need.”

    The group walks a few blocks to find the curator shop. It’s in another alley, similar to Madame Argoth’s shop, but with the way Zarga is so haphazardly disorganized, many places are situated similarly. Caelus tells his men to wait in the main street. As you approach the shop, you see that the weathered sign above the door reads "Neebo’s Nick-Nacks". A display window with bars features a mannequin in full naval regalia with assorted baubles and badges all over it. The mannequin wears an eye patch which may be the one you’ve come for. “I’ll wait outside. Shouldn’t be too many of us inside, it’s suspicious. I’ll be down at that alehouse there,” he points a couple doors down to a run-down looking establishment with no name visible, just a painting of a pint of beer. A couple of men are standing outside sharing drinks and having a lively conversation. “Don’t take too long,” Caelus warns before leaving the three of you standing outside Neebo’s.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-01-02 at 03:10 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    HalflingRogueGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Jeri says softly to the others, "So, which of you wants to lose an eye so we can go in and ask for an eyepatch convincingly? No? No takers? Ah well.

    "Let's go over our options real quick - I can make it dark in there right as we grab it, if you want. Or just hook it with my tail all sneaky-like. Or do you want to have a chat with 'Neebo' and try to just persuade him to part with it?"

  3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    "Let's talk to him first, make sure it's the right eye patch. Who knows, maybe we can just buy it from him."

  4. - Top - End - #214
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Olivin nods"Yes, the Captain did not seem very worried about the guard. And that is clearly because he intends us to take the fall for this. If we are going to talk to him, we should just send a single person in. It would be better if he does not know what we all look like." Olivin trails off into mumbling to himself,... then adds "We can talk to him if you like."

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Is it night time? Or is everything locked up right now?

  5. - Top - End - #215
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    We finally burnt out I guess?

  6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn walks into Neebo's shop. A door taps a chime hanging from above, sounding a deep, pleasant note which vibrates for several seconds throughout the store. The sound isn't all that loud, but you can feel the reverberations linger. A voice calls from a back room, "I'll be wit' ya in a minute. Feel free to look around!" Nearly every available surface of the place is filled, and care must be taken navigating the various oddities, shelves, and display cabinets. The arrangement of everything seems rather haphazard, and if there is an organization system to it at all, it is not apparent whatsoever.

    Joe and Jeri remain outside for the moment (not having expressed a desire to enter yet, but they may follow if they wish). Captain Caelus meanwhile finds an outdoor seat so he can keep a view of the shop.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn strolls around the store, trying to hide his nerves. Nothing to be nervous about. You're just a customer having a look around. Calm down. He wanders over to the mannequin in the window, reaching up and removing the eyepatch. He scans it quickly with detect magic while he waits for the shop keeper to come back.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I Just remembered that Quinn has a constant Detect Magic spell active due to his fey senses racial ability. Any other interesting items lighting up?

  8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn scans the eyepatch and finds that it does carry a faint magical aura to it. A quick look around the room reveals several other faint to moderate auras, though most of the objects in the shop are mundane.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Quinn can do a Spellcraft check to identify the properties of the eyepatch. As he peruses the rest of the shop, Quinn may also identify the following objects that have magical auras;
    -a two spouted glass funnel
    -an adamantine piton
    -a vial of a greyish salt-like powder
    -a doll with vital organs depicted on it
    -an ornate looking brass key
    -A dark, hooded robe with 3 long needles protruding from each sleeve

    Edit: Looking at Quinn's sheet I see he does not have Spellcraft or Kn Arcana. I think we might've already been over that previously, so my apologies. For now, Quinn simply identifies that the objects listed above are magical in nature, but not overly powerful.
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-04-02 at 12:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe just stands outside rocking back and forth mumbling to himself angrily and scanning the horizon. He watches the alleyways around the building, and holds his sap with his hand up the sleeve of his cloak in an attempt to conceal the weapon.
    Perception (1d20+1)[21]
    Slight of Hand (1d20)[19]

  10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yeah, no magical knowledge yet for Quinn. He'll pick up those skills as he starts levelling and getting more used to the world being weird, but I figured he wouldn't have had much exposure to magic in his previous life.


    Quinn momentarily toys with the idea of just slipping the eyepatch into his pocket and walking out, but dismisses the thought. The idea of just casually shoplifting from a fellow merchant just felt wrong. Although that doesn't make much sense - we're here to take it. But I suppose I need confirmation of where it came from first... Shaking his head to clear out the momentary moral crisis, he brings it over to the counter and waits patiently for the shopkeep to return.

  11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    The shopkeep enters carrying a precarious load of boxes filled with various trinkets, which he sets down on a bit of open floor space beside the counter. The man then approaches Quinn with a smile that might be pleasant were it not for two large canines protruding from the lower jaw. He is obviously half-orc, but has gone to some lengths to conceal his heritage; the canines have been filed down considerably, the points of his ears have been clipped, he wears makeup, and his skin is oiled and smooth. He wears a midnight blue, silken garment which looks valuable, but not magical by Quinn's senses. "What can I help you wit' today sir?" he asks, then sees the eyepatch on the counter, "Ah, interesting choice sir, I just got this in from a sunken ship expedition! This belonged to the fabled pirate 'Silver-Eye' Salem. It is said that he possessed a third eye, which he kept covered with this very patch, which gave him the ability to swim like a fish in the sea!" He gets very animated as he recounts the tale, using sweeping hand-gestures and a dramatic voice.


    Spoiler: Joe and Jeri
    Show
    Joe sleeves his sap and watches the various approaches. He can see back the way they came that Caelus' men that had accompanied them are waiting down at the next intersection. Down a side alley perpendicular to the street they are on, Joe notices what may be some kind of altercation unfolding; two young men seem to be quietly threatening an older man, if Joe is reading the body language correctly. They are about 100ft away, and out of the line of sight of both Caelus and his men
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn takes in the shopkeeper, trying to get a read on him. Interesting that he would disguise his heritage like that. And from the looks of it, those robes weren't cheap either. This one's probably a bit sensitive, maybe even vain. I'd better tread lightly.

    Quinn plasters a grin on his face and leans in conspiratorially. "That is quite a story my friend. Too many shopkeepers these days forget that a little bit of theatrics goes a long way. I'm actually a merchant myself, from out of town. I always love to hear a great pitch like that."

  13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Joes looks at Jeri and gestures down the side alley and stops muttering to himself,"We just spotted a couple fellas are about to rob that old man. We would say we should ignor it but we don't want a scene happening around here at the moment. Follow us and we will take a stroll, make sure they don't draw any unwanted attention."

    Joe will make to move in the direction of the alley and watch if he is accompanied.

  14. - Top - End - #224
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    Quinn can roll a diplomacy check.


    Spoiler: Joe & Jeri
    Show
    Joe moves into the alley, and out of sight of Caelus and his men. Jeri sees Caelus stand up from his seat outside the alehouse in concern. As Joe approaches the scene, one of the youths notices him coming and aggressively brandishes a knife which he had been pointing into the older man's abdomen, "Hey, back off man, this is Brotherhood business." The other youth continues to pin the old man against the brick wall of the alley.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    has Joe heard of the brotherhood? Knowledge local (1d20)[11]


    Joe walks over mumbling to himself eventually looks at the characters "Whatever you are doing, don't do it here. We don't want to kill you,... Oliving trails off in his statement and lets the sap slide down into his hand and visible.
    Spoiler: intimidate
    Show
    (1d20+6)[23]

  16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn flashes the man a winning smile.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+7)[22]

  17. - Top - End - #227
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    Joe doesn't recall having heard of the Brotherhood, and is not cowed by the young man's threat. The young man, on the other hand, seems visibly shaken by Joe's counter-threat, and the fact that he seems to be referencing himself in plural. "Alright, sure man. Relax!" he replies with a slight quiver in his voice. He backs up a couple of paces, holding his hands up, but maintaining eye contact with Joe. "Let's go Kip," he says under his breath to the other youth, "Something's off about this guy." Kip looks at his buddy, then shrugs and releases the old man, "It's your lucky day chump. We'll see you soon." The young men stalk off around the corner, and the old man glares after them, then turns to Joe and says a gruff, "Thanks," then turns to leave as well.


    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    The shopkeep gives Quinn a blank look for a moment, then breaks into a bashful grin, "Alright, ya got me. It's true, a little embellishment goes a long way, but don't tell nobody! I'm Neebo, owner of this fine shop. And you are?" He extends a well manicured, but very strong looking hand to shake. "Down to brass tacks then; what can I do for you?"
    Last edited by Aeryk; 2019-04-18 at 12:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn smiles and shakes the man's hand in return. "I'm Quinn. It's a pleasure to meet you." Don't tell him your name you idiot, you're planning to rob him! Ugh. Okay, it's fine. Shake it off.

    "So what's the real story with this eyepatch? I've never seen anything like it. Where did you get it?"

  19. - Top - End - #229
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Joe does not even respond to the old man, and fails to acknowledge the old mans lack of thanks. He just backs up a pace, then when he is sure he is not going to be jumped from behind he turns to return to the group.

    When he does get back to the others he won't comment on what he did. Just continue mumbling to himself under he breath. After a several moments of distracted conversation with himself he will remember to pull the sap back up into his sleeve.
    Last edited by brandnewb; 2019-04-28 at 09:28 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #230
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    "Ah, ya have an eye for quality Quinn! Well, I never reveal my sources, and I don't ask too many questions meself, it can be bad for business. But I couldn't resist when I laid eyes on it; look here at the fine 'mbroidery," he points out a skull and crossbones worked in silver thread. The embroidery is of fine workmanship indeed. "And it has magic worked into it, but I haven't been able to get someone with the right skillset to identify what it is yet, beyond a bit o' babbling from the person I got it from. I'd part with it for a thousand gold pieces, if yer interested."


    Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    Joe returns from the alley to find himself face to face with Captain Caelus. "What the hells were you doing!?" he hisses, then looks down as Joe sleeves the sap, then at the now unoccupied alley beyond.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn eyes it closely. "You're not wrong about that. Beautiful quality. A recent acquisition of yours?"

  22. - Top - End - #232
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Josaphat stands there oblivious for several moments, mumbling to himself. Finally he looks up at Caelus and speaks to himself “He said something? What did he say?” There is another pause as Josaphat listens to the reply of some un-seen partner in conversation. Finally Joe actually looks into Caelus’ eyes and replies, “There were some guys robbing an old man. We did not want a scene…” An awkward pause. “Something about brotherhood business. They left.”
    Rightly or wrongly Joe appears to believe this is an adequate explanation and stops talking.

  23. - Top - End - #233
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    "Aye," replies Neebo. He clears his throat before continuing, "Why do y'ask?"


    Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    "It's not your job to play constable here!" Caelus replies, clearly irate. "Don't be going around messing in other people's business in this town, or you'll get yourself or me killed. You do anything, you ask me first, understand?"
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  24. - Top - End - #234
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Farmer Joe stands there for several moments, clearly unsure of what to do and potentially confused. A few moments later his eyes begin to turn red and tears begin forming in the corners. "Where was the constable to protect my family?" The statement begins stable but quickly collapases into sobs and quiet babbling to himself.

    Joe looks for an alley or corner close by to retreat into. He intends to sit down in fetal position and cry quietly into his hands.

  25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn stops to consider a moment. Oh, just do it you wimp.

    Quinn looks around himself, then leans in further. "I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but my employer is looking for a very particular item, and I'm wondering if this might be it. Could be some very big cash in it for you if it is. One of those happy cases where his wallet is fuller than his head."

    Quinn gives him a knowing grin. "Are you sure you can't tell me where you got it?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+7)[21]

  26. - Top - End - #236
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    Caelus looks baffled for a moment, then mildly disgusted as Joe breaks down. Nonetheless, he dutifully kneels down beside Joe and awkwardly pats him on the shoulder, "Alright man, get a grip. I just need you to be more careful who you're dealing with in this town. You'll get your chance to avenge your family, I promise, but you have to pull yourself together and focus on what we're doing, okay?"


    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    The prospect of a big payoff seems to make Neebo a little giddy. "Well, I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but I got a pretty good deal for it myself, from a... well, let's call her a business partner of mine. She's a local cleric, but that's all I can say about that. Anyway, all that to say, if you're ever looking for a deal on somethin' that's hard to get, I'm your man!" Neebo points a thumb at his chest proudly as he says this.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn exhales and grins, realising he had been holding his breath. "Excellent, that sounds like the one. Now listen, my buyer prefers discretion. It's very important that it appear that no is interested. Leave the eyepatch displayed in the window, and I should be back in the next few days to buy it, once I've spoken with him. Understand?"

  28. - Top - End - #238
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Joe is oblivious to Caelus’ reassurance and just sits in his corner silently sobbing into his hands without responding. A few minutes later and he is rocking back and forth holding his knees to his chest and looking around the street with bloodshot eyes, mumbling quietly to himself.

  29. - Top - End - #239
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Aeryk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Spoiler: Quinn
    Show
    Neebo strokes his chin and says, "Alright, well I'll need a down payment to reserve it then. I can't guarantee that I won't sell it if another in'erested customer comes along. A bird in the hand an' all that, y'know? I've held on ta things before and had people bail on me when I coulda sold it."


    Spoiler: Joe
    Show
    Caelus wrinkles his nose, as if at a disgusting smell, "Ugh... I oughtta just sell you. If you can't get it together you're useless to me, and moreover, useless to your own cause." He walks a few paces away from Joe, leaving him to sulk, but keeping an eye on him.
    Spoiler: Playing as...
    Show
    River in The Dragon Empire



    Sir Andrew Christof in The Dragon Empire




    Spoiler: GM of...
    Show

  30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Waking Nightmares (IC)

    Quinn shakes his head. "Like I said, my buyer prefers discretion. No down payments, no trail. You are free to do as you like, but I suggest you hold it for him anyway."

    Quinn gives the man a nod. "It's been a pleasure Neebo. I hope we can do business in the future."

    Quinn turns and heads back out onto the street, pausing a moment to enjoy the sun and then casually strolling towards the alley and Caelus.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •