New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Has any horror book/TV series done this?

I sometimes find myself wondering what the Friday the 13th series would have been like, if someone had from the start set out to tell a lengthy story about a strange evil that just haunts an area for decades. It would make for an interesting anthology, I think.

Can anyone think of examples?
    Last edited by Jeivar; 2018-05-07 at 06:23 AM.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Has any horror book/TV series done this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    I sometimes find myself wondering what the Friday the 13th series would have been like, if someone had from the start set out to tell a lengthy story about a strange evil that just haunts an area for decades. It would make for an interesting anthology, I think.

So basically It then?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

This is what Stranger Things was going to do. Unfortunately, the show's producer, writers and certainly the audience, loved the current cast so much that they kept the story fully continuous.
    It was originally going to be Hawkins every 10 years, until the boys and Eleven were in their 40s eventually putting away the Upside Down in the final season.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-07 at 09:12 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

American Horror Story Roanoke was kind of like that. It was centered mostly on the present, but plenty of flashbacks to show how the evil worked it power throughout the past centuries.
    Keeper of the 49 Rules.

Pet Peeve: Yay ≠ Yeah

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    So basically It then?
    Yeah, I guess. But with less cosmic turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    This is what Stranger Things was going to do. Unfortunately, the show's producer, writers and certainly the audience, loved the current cast so much that they kept the story fully continuous.
    It was originally going to be Hawkins every 10 years, until the boys and Eleven were in their 40s eventually putting away the Upside Down in the final season.
    ... damn.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

... damn.
    Well, I mean...For exactly your specific scenario, sure.
    But the Stranger Things we've got, is really good, and I'm sure most people (including myself) are glad that it didn't go the other way.

Otherwise, Haven (also based on a story by Stephen King) is about a town that has gone through The Troubles twice already, (in the '50s [?] and the '80s) and the show takes place during the third instance.
    The past is mentioned constantly and frequently, and used as the set up to a whole bunch of episodes. But in 5 Seasons (~80 episodes), only a handful of episodes are actually set in the past.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-05-07 at 01:41 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Stephen King uses it a lot, so Pet Sematery for example, uses an old indian burial ground (that it suggests is preyed on by a Wendigo) that has persisted, and calls to people to bury their loved ones in it.

Would Silent Hill count? As reviewers have said, the whole point of Silent Hill is that although the plot is usually about some crazy cult or horrible monster, the player/watcher should get a nagging feeling that the real evil is the town inself, and that the evil cults and suchlike are drawn to it, rather than it being evil because of the cults. Silent Hill 2 is an excellent example of this - there's no 'evil cult' storyline.

Ben Croshaw of Zero Punctuation, when talking about Silent Hill talks about how the nebulous oppression of Silent Hill is the real enemy, and how much more effective that is thatn a bunch of blokes in robes. Blokes can get shot, or get the sleeves caught on doorknobs etc.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sinewmire View Post
    Would Silent Hill count? As reviewers have said, the whole point of Silent Hill is that although the plot is usually about some crazy cult or horrible monster, the player/watcher should get a nagging feeling that the real evil is the town inself, and that the evil cults and suchlike are drawn to it, rather than it being evil because of the cults. Silent Hill 2 is an excellent example of this - there's no 'evil cult' storyline.
    Not really. I think that the OP isn't necessarily looking for an 'evil town that has been evil for generations'. The OP wants it shown, explicitly, how each generation deals with the same crisis. Warehouse 13 does this occasionally, because Warehouse 12 (1830-1914) simply didn't have the resources and technology that W13, did, compared to Warehouse 2 (300BC - 30BC). Same problems, different technology, and it's fun little side trips like that, that I think the OP is looking for.

Like Stephen King's It. It's the exact same story, set 27 apart. Except that the main characters from the first incident, come around for the second go, knowing what they learned as kids.

It's so much that something has a generational evil - loads of things do - it has to be shown.

I think.
    a) I'm putting words in the OP's mouth, and
    b) I know nothing about Silent Hill. Maybe it does do that.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome