New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1120 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I feel as if this conversation is getting more heated than it reasonably should be allowed.
    That's fair.

Look Zimmer, my point is that just because everything isn't fixed, doesn't mean things can't get better. You're in a position where you can fight for people that need it, and you shouldn't let the fact that the system of exploitation is still there prevent you from seeing the good you do accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #422
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    It's almost like ongoing problems are ongoing instead of immediately solved. Tell me your actions don't matter to the people you represent. Go on. Tell me your intervention isn't making their lives less terrible than it would have been without you or someone like you being involved.
    They don't matter. In the three to five years it can take to secure a settlement or judgment, a typical FLSA plaintiff will have gone through as many jobs at about the same conditions (because despite there being laws against retaliation it turns out to happen all the time anyway, the remedies are inadequate, and it's often easier on the psyche to just get out of the old workplace), and the employer will have continued sweating his workers without pause or fled into a spurious bankruptcy, leaving them to look for new work. Judgments can be paid in multi-year installments of a few hundred or thousand dollars a month, and are drained to a high degree by parasites like me.

EDIT: missed the response to Rrmcklin. Let's talk about something else.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2018-05-10 at 08:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, then... anybody else just now getting the double meaning of the title?
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

4. - Top - End - #424

I do now that you've pointed it out. I don't pay much attention to the titles though.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2018-05-10 at 10:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Too much real-life politics are intruding. I don't have the power to tell you to knock it off and back my words up with force, but you keep it up and a mod WILL wander in eventually. I suggest you not make action on their part necessary, even if it's only for your own sake.

Also, after blocking The_wierdo, I've discovered that blocking the individual doesn't do very much when the individual decides to bait 10 others.
    Last edited by Manty5; 2018-05-10 at 10:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Learning to manage addiction is a definite improvement for the addict and those in their lives.
    In an esoterically similar vein, learning to manage ADHD is a definite improvement. It hasn't waned in the decades since I was diagnosed with it, but being able to (mostly) keep a particular chain of thought in my mind for more than a few minutes at a time has made life incredibly less frustrating.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Also, after blocking The_wierdo, I've discovered that blocking the individual doesn't do very much when the individual decides to bait 10 others.
    And therein lies the artistry ... Back to "where's Roy?" and "What's Durkula gonna do next?"
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #428
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    And therein lies the artistry ... Back to "where's Roy?" and "What's Durkula gonna do next?"
    Roy is closing in on the vampires, and we're going to see that soon. I think Braidella dies first.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    As Vampire Dwarf with Blue Curly Hair says, V, Belkar and Hylgia are in the back of the room, next to the entrance door.

From Durkon's and Greg's perspective, they are to the right side of the door.

As far as we knew from previous strips, Elan, Blackwing and Haley were close(ish) to V and Belkar, but they can be more to the left side of the door.

Roy entered the roon right after the giraffes, and before all the other except V and Blackwing. He's probably more in the front of the room, closer to the fireplace and to the vampire clerics, and is probably to the left side of the door, since he wasn't in front of Hylgia & Co from Greg's/Durkon's perpective.

That means probably that in one or two strips we may see Roy making an attack agains the vampire clerics...
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    There's an entire section of the quote index on character development and growth
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Heh, it turns out when I say "I think the Giant said this" it usually means something like "I'm on mobile and thus it's difficult to look up, but I feel confident it's there."

Given the direction the discussion of zimmerwald's POV of humanity went, though, I don't think it's prudent to add anything else or continue.

11. - Top - End - #431

Quote Originally Posted by Manty5 View Post
    Too much real-life politics are intruding. I don't have the power to tell you to knock it off and back my words up with force, but you keep it up and a mod WILL wander in eventually. I suggest you not make action on their part necessary, even if it's only for your own sake.

Hence my continually bringing up in thread after thread that it would improve life for the rest of us if more people would just IL him since the mods won't redtext him.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    What part of "futile" was unclear? You fight and you fight and nothing ever changes.
    Things change that is the nature of existence nothing is ever the same. What is evolution if not progression? you say people cannot become better, and if you want to limit yourself that way then that is totally your choice but i choose to think differently because nothing is ever certain until proven undeniably. So unless you can provide some kind of solid evidence other than your own opinion you are just pushing a negative bias opinion that probably does not apply to anyone else.

13. - Top - End - #433

Evolution is not progress. It is merely change. Some times it means you better adapt to the environment. Other times (most times, likely) you end up the same or worse.

14. - Top - End - #434

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Evolution is not progress. It is merely change. Some times it means you better adapt to the environment. Other times (most times, likely) you end up the same or worse.
    and so change is not progress? whether it be forward or backward?
    Last edited by Thurulian; 2018-05-11 at 01:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435

Going backwards is regress. Progress by definition means going forward.

And now I'm wondering what conjugation would be going nowhere. Egress is out. Congress is together. Agress?

16. - Top - End - #436

And now I'm wondering what conjugation would be going nowhere. Egress is out. Congress is together. Agress?
    That is the most interesting question in this thread so far.

All i was arguing before is that people do usually progress throughout their lives and someones subjective negative opinion doesnt change the reality of human beings capability for positive change.

My example of evolution was not well thought out i should have just pointed out that no matter what task you perform, if you do it enough you will improve your understanding of it and improve your performance at said task. Therefore humans are extremely capable of changing for the better.

17. - Top - End - #437

-gress is a Latin root, literally meaning "step". Progress is stepping "in favor of" something (contrast a Congress, (Con- as a corruption of Contra-) which would be stepping in dissent (yes, I know there's a political joke there, but I prefer to think of it as a philosophical statement... members of Congress step against each other, implying multiple viewpoints)). Egress is stepping out (E- being a corruption of Ex). Transgress literally means "step across" (presumably in reference to a boundary). Agress could be interpreted as either "step to" or "step away", since A- is just as likely a corruption of Ad or Ab... and given modern english "agression", it's probably still the former. Regress actually means "stepping again", which implies backwards motion so as to do something that has already happened (once, twice, thousands of times, etc.).

Sinegress ("without step"), Obgress ("step in the way"), or Ingress ("step in or against") would be your most likely bets, though I'm pretty sure that last one's been claimed by architecture. But I digress (Di-, corruption of De-, "from")
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2018-05-11 at 07:49 PM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #438

DrowGirl

That... isn't how evolution works.
    You're thinking of mutation (kinda). Evolution is inter-generational and includes not just the initial mutation, but also its spreading to the rest of the population over several generations via inheritance. Which usually only happens if those bearing the mutation are at least as likely to survive and breed as those who do not bear said mutation.
    So yeah, whilst I kind of agree that evolution isn't progress (that's a pretty nebulous term in cases like this), it almost never means that you end up worse.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Xaphan View Post
    Which usually only happens if those bearing the mutation are at least as likely to survive and breed as those who do not bear said mutation.
    So yeah, whilst I kind of agree that evolution isn't progress (that's a pretty nebulous term in cases like this), it almost never means that you end up worse.
    Of course, some inherited conditions are recessive and thus those with them can breed just fine (haemophilia, for example). Then you get the ones which actually have a benefit under certain circumstances and can thus spread more widely, like sickle cell anaemia--generally a *bad* thing to have, except that it also protects against malaria, so in sub-Saharan Africa where malaria is a big killer, sickle cell is widespread. Evolution is a funny thing, all told...

20. - Top - End - #440

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Of course, some inherited conditions are recessive and thus those with them can breed just fine (haemophilia, for example). Then you get the ones which actually have a benefit under certain circumstances and can thus spread more widely, like sickle cell anaemia--generally a *bad* thing to have, except that it also protects against malaria, so in sub-Saharan Africa where malaria is a big killer, sickle cell is widespread. Evolution is a funny thing, all told...
    If it's beneficial but comes with drawbacks, I'm not sure how bad you can really call that... especially given the implication that the benefits, again, outweigh said drawbacks. You're somewhat fatigued all the time, but you're protected against a deadly disease? That only sounds bad in areas where said disease is a nonissue. Kinda of a matter of perspective.

Of course, once the threshold for survival's been reached, it's anyone's game... people have traits now that, in terms of evolution, are not naturally selected for, but are still entirely sustainable because the presence of people and civilization itself now supports them. Some even thrive in this way better than "naturally selected" people would, which would imply that we're still evolving, if not quite in the ways you might expect. A funny thing, indeed...

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

21. - Top - End - #441

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Isn't sickle cell the one where you only need one allele to get the protection, but two gives you the disease?
    In any case, I'd argue that in a high-malaria environment, sickle-cell has made you more suited to your environment, even if in 99% of situations it would be a bad thing. Evolution doesn't care about 99% of situations, only the one you're actually in.
    Also, selection pressures do operate over time against recessive conditions too, which is why so few people have haemophilia, and why sickle-cell is so incredibly rare outside of Africa.
    Sorry, science is interesting.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Of course, once the threshold for survival's been reached, it's anyone's game... people have traits now that, in terms of evolution, are not naturally selected for, but are still entirely sustainable because the presence of people and civilization itself now supports them. Some even thrive in this way better than "naturally selected" people would, which would imply that we're still evolving, if not quite in the ways you might expect. A funny thing, indeed...
    I mean, civilisation is a form of environment. The society you live in is part of your environment (if it weren't, being a bright blue bird with large, colourful tail-feathers would be a really stupid idea). If you're more likely to have more children, given your environment, than another person, you're better adapted for that environment than them. That's all natural selection is. You might say that the traits we're selecting for now are different from the ones which would be selected for in the wild, but that's like saying that the average lemur would do really badly at the bottom of the Atlantic. That's not where we live, so evolution doesn't care.
    Last edited by Xaphan; 2018-05-12 at 03:12 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    They don't matter. In the three to five years it can take to secure a settlement or judgment, a typical FLSA plaintiff will have gone through as many jobs at about the same conditions (because despite there being laws against retaliation it turns out to happen all the time anyway, the remedies are inadequate, and it's often easier on the psyche to just get out of the old workplace), and the employer will have continued sweating his workers without pause or fled into a spurious bankruptcy, leaving them to look for new work. Judgments can be paid in multi-year installments of a few hundred or thousand dollars a month, and are drained to a high degree by parasites like me.

EDIT: missed the response to Rrmcklin. Let's talk about something else.
    If you think it's all futile, well, A. Seek medical help. That sounds like clinical depression.and B. what are you even doing it for, then?

23. - Top - End - #443

As towards B, probably for the same reason I keep slamming my head against the cinderblock wall of apathy to child endangerment. Someone has to, and I don't see many others stepping up.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    If you think it's all futile, well, A. Seek medical help. That sounds like clinical depression.and B. what are you even doing it for, then?
    My father-in-law's a retired lawyer. He's also, at the age of 66, dying of severe alcoholism.

My spouse, his daughter, said, in perfect seriousness, that in her observation of her father and his co-workers, if you're a lawyer, you have two choices. You can become the heartless, profit-motivated stereotype behind most lawyer jokes...or you can become an alcoholic.