New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default End of The World RP Line - Which one would you recommend?

Hi all,

Which one of the following apocalypse stories would you enjoy playing if you had the option?

I'm planning on running one of the End of the World roleplaying series from Fantasy Flight Games. But before I decide on one to choose, I wanted to get a feel for which "flavor" of apocalypse seems the most fun for everyone.

1. Alien Invasion - Includes invaders from Mars, Atlantis, or even Dimension X.
    2. Revolt of the Machines - Includes everything from mad mowers, to time displaced terminators, to never ending nanites.
    3. Wrath of the Gods - Includes everything from Cthulhuian critters, to the Four Horseman, to Mayan mayhem.
    4. Zombie Apocalypse - Dead men walking... always a classic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: End of The World RP Line - Which one would you recommend?

The nanite grey-goo option is always fun, as are biological equivalents where you just have a good old fashioned plague.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Beholder

By the way, don't worry if you haven't played the system before. I'm just looking to get an idea of the most fun apocalyptic theme would be. So please feel free to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    The nanite grey-goo option is always fun, as are biological equivalents where you just have a good old fashioned plague.
    Thanks Knaight!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yeah, plagues that dont result in zombies are dreadfully underused these days.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm unfamiliar with the system, but I do have a question--are the players trying to avert the apocalypse, or is the apocalypse going to happen regardless, or is the game set post-apocalypse? And how thorough will the apocalypse be? Is everything just kaput if the apocalypse occurs, or does a good portion of humanity survive, or...? There's a lot more to consider with the apocalypse than just what caused it.

I've been playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown again, and you could easily run that game or XCOM 2 nearly straight as a tabletop campaign (depending on system, anyway).

Of course, I'm just a random person on the internet. What your actual group thinks would be most fun might run squarely counter to forum consensus.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2018-05-10 at 07:24 AM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you have any cute how computers actually work robot uprisings cone off as dull. Grey goo is still cool though.

My personal pick for which of these I'm buying when I'm next near my FLGS is Wrath of the Gods, because I'm mainly interested in not board appropriate Apocalypses. Plus the supernatural causing the end of the world is a classic and can bleed into so many other scenarios (e.g. magic wielding terminators coming back through time). Zombies just bore me to tears, although if the books are good enough I might check it out for the scenarios, and I just already have systems I'd rather run an alien invasion in.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    I'm unfamiliar with the system, but I do have a question--are the players trying to avert the apocalypse, or is the apocalypse going to happen regardless, or is the game set post-apocalypse? And how thorough will the apocalypse be? Is everything just kaput if the apocalypse occurs, or does a good portion of humanity survive, or...? There's a lot more to consider with the apocalypse than just what caused it.

I've been playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown again, and you could easily run that game or XCOM 2 nearly straight as a tabletop campaign (depending on system, anyway).

Of course, I'm just a random person on the internet. What your actual group thinks would be most fun might run squarely counter to forum consensus.
    From my admittedly LIMITED understanding from looking at the book covers, you can't really stop whatever Apocalypse is in the book because you're literally playing as yourself in the game, and whatever "stats" you might have are based on your own physical and mental capabilities as a human being.

Given that stipulation, the emphasis of the game is most likely on merely surviving the Apocalypse, riding out its events and possibly the immediate aftermath of it, if there is one. According to its entry on TVTropes, though, the expectation is that your PC versions of you will all die by the end.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-05-10 at 01:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

So...a few ideas:

1. Plague (no zombies) ala "The Stand" (with out God and the Devil taking active roles)
    2. Fallout from WWIII slowly covering the globe ala "On the Beach (1959)"
    3. Global pandemonium as giant asteroid heads for collision course with Earth (and/or the aftermath thereof)
    4. Yellowstone Caldera erupts, destroying most of North America, and plunging the world into a new Ice Age (and Dark Ages).
    5. Super Secret Science Project causes 90% of the worlds population to simply vanish in an instant - ala "The Quiet Earth"
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

9. - Top - End - #9

Beholder

Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Like Archpaladin Zousha said, it's all about survival. The premise of these games is that the players play themselves. An apocalypse falls upon the world as the players are settling in to play the game (very meta).

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard
    My personal pick for which of these I'm buying when I'm next near my FLGS is Wrath of the Gods, because I'm mainly interested in not board appropriate Apocalypses. Plus the supernatural causing the end of the world is a classic and can bleed into so many other scenarios (e.g. magic wielding terminators coming back through time). Zombies just bore me to tears, although if the books are good enough I might check it out for the scenarios, and I just already have systems I'd rather run an alien invasion in.
    The Wrath of the Gods is the one I ended up picking up.

Spoiler: Spoiler for Wrath of Gods
    Show
    It's fascinating since the book provides a variety of apocalypse scenarios ranging from Ragnarok to Cthulhu. And after watching Infinity War, I'm actually considering Ragnarok!

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha
    According to its entry on TVTropes, though, the expectation is that your PC versions of you will all die by the end.
    Interesting. I'm going to have to check this entry out.
    Last edited by xroads; 2018-05-11 at 09:44 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

One that I have only seen very rarely, is a ongoing Rapture style apocolypse. Instead of everyone disappearing at once. It starts small, and just keeps happening day by day. You could really ramp up tension that way.

Now that I think about it, every use of it I can remeber has been either insanity or computer model failing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.