New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Gradifi

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Gradifi

'She took out all these loans to get a college degree just to work for you. Now you owe her...'

WTF?

Is this just another sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Gradifi

Mind adding a bit more context?

I'd argue that going through college was purely freedom of choice, and if it wasn't, then he/she should've consulted you before doing such a thing (to minimize your "ownage").
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It appears to be a platform to permit employers to repay student loans for their employees... I haven't looked at it too deeply but I'm sure there's something in there that makes having your employer pay them more efficiently then paying them yourself (if not the whole thing is kind of paternalistic) so it would be a win-win way to adjust your incentive structure for younger people...
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    It appears to be a platform to permit employers to repay student loans for their employees... I haven't looked at it too deeply but I'm sure there's something in there that makes having your employer pay them more efficiently then paying them yourself (if not the whole thing is kind of paternalistic) so it would be a win-win way to adjust your incentive structure for younger people...
    Mind showing a cursory source? To answer the OP, I suppose you could point to entitlement if such a proposal becomes commonplace (if your employer pays for your college, then didn't you get free college? ), but I'd guess it to be a search for high-skill workers if not (though that already has a name, "scholarships").
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    'She took out all these loans to get a college degree just to work for you. Now you owe her...'

WTF?

Is this just another sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society?
    Because corporations gaining massive economic benefit from known externalities of other people getting college degrees paid for entirely by other people is, of course, not indicative of a sense of entitlement at all. Also the idea of providing benefits that encourage workers to go into your field and your company when you need more of them is obviously a terrible thing indicative of those workers being so entitled that they think they might have some choice in their work, and not bog standard supply and demand.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Goaty14 View Post
    Mind showing a cursory source? To answer the OP, I suppose you could point to entitlement if such a proposal becomes commonplace (if your employer pays for your college, then didn't you get free college? ), but I'd guess it to be a search for high-skill workers if not (though that already has a name, "scholarships").
    Well this is their website. https://www.gradifi.com/

It's a neat fintech play. Looks like the basic ideas are that people would mostly rather repay their student loans than start saving up for their retirement, that (for older employees) paying for college for their kids is a big stress and that it's a pain in payroll's behind to track down all of those accounts so a centralized platform to interface with colleges and banks and such would be nice. Since student loans/college tuition over here never get so crazy as they are in the US I can't really judge how right they are but at least superficially it follows. They've also been bought out by a bank which makes sense (and probably explains how they got a big firm as conservative as PWC as clients), banks that want to survive the next few decades are buying up fintech startups like crazy these days. I'm a big fan of à-la-carte incentives so I support this development.

I still don't get the OP's outrage though... it's just a different way to structure compensation.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2018-05-07 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

7. - Top - End - #7

NecromancerGuy

Thank you Thorgrim. Some of that made sense.

Fintech = Financial Technology. Meaning technology based financial solutions and/or products.

So now that I've done some homework, and have settled down from once again seeing the Gradifi commercial which imo is very poorly done and is prone to be offensive to people like me that didn't/don't get what they are getting at.

The service Gradifi provides is an employee benefit. What they are presenting is that rather than provide a retirement benefit to your employees, instead take that benefits money and put it towards helping your employees pay off their student loans or towards a college savings plan.

Now that I understand that Gradifi is not some non-profit trying to pressure companies into a social ... program, I'm not upset.

Is this a benefit that is a "good" social product? I doubt it, but it depends upon the the cost. Since student loan interest rates are subsidized in the US by the government, and since retirement funds generally outperform the low student loan interest rates, and since in the US retirement benefits are often tax free... in the long run the employee will have a much higher net worth if they choose the retirement benefit rather than paying off their student loans with company money.

But hey, if someone wants to make a bad decision, that's up to them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

...Is this just another sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society?

"Sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society"
    ?

What the Hell are you talking about LordEntrails?

Which society?

How old are you?

As far as I can tell in my nearly half century of a lifetime, Americans act like their "entitled" to less from their employers than they were 40 years ago.

Less:

Pensions,

Medical care benefits,

Union representation, and

Wages that can buy a house, and send their children to college.

Instead of going on strike for the wages and benefits of previous generations you even have folks being willing to be Uber drivers!

My grandfather (born 1917) and my father (born 1938) insisted on having a Union card, which is something that today's adults mostly lack.

And in desperation they accept far more debt for their education!

I for one feel that young adults don't act entitled enough!

Which side are you on LordEntrails?
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I'm with 2D8HP; that has always been the case, it's just that it used to be in the form of "the wages and benefits that come with jobs requiring a college degree offset the cost of obtaining that degree." It largely isn't anymore. Sure, no small part of that is also for to blame on tuition costs rising out of control, but that doesnt mitigate that the benefits of a college degree are less than what they used to be.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-05-08 at 05:14 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #10

I've seen the commercial Lord Entrails mentioned. It is indeed horribad, fails to communicate much of anything and the people who made it need refresher training.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I've seen the commercial Lord Entrails mentioned. It is indeed horribad, fails to communicate much of anything and the people who made it need refresher training.
    Wait, this is from a commercial? Original post was a bit vague. Is that line actually a quote from the commercial? Because if it's not commentary, and was actually used, then without even seeing it that sounds like a horrible ad.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #12

It is indeed horrible, and I suggest avoiding to preserve what little sanity reality may have left you.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Wait, this is from a commercial? Original post was a bit vague. Is that line actually a quote from the commercial? Because if it's not commentary, and was actually used, then without even seeing it that sounds like a horrible ad.
    It is indeed from a TV commercial. Paraphrasing, but that's the gist of it.
    If you care to watch, I found it here; https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wg5t/gradifi...i-is-gratitude

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

"Sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society"
    ?...

I for one feel that young adults don't act entitled enough!

Which side are you on LordEntrails?
    Not yours apparently.

See my second post in this thread for more clarification.

Society in the United States.

My age is irrelevant.

I had a chance to join the Teamsters once. Fortunately where I live is a right to work state and the union couldn't force me to join. Good thing too.

Unions once upon a time were a good thing, a necessary thing. Now they are simple corrupt or outdated. If you care to argue the corrupt point, then how come the US Supreme court twice threw out the national election results for the Teamsters? Do your research if you don't think the Teamsters are any better than the Mafia (in places they are not one in the same).

The Red for Ed movement shows that unions are unnecessary. Look at Arizona for an example of this.

But, know that I'm not going to discuss unions and politics any more than what I've said. Sorry, I won't read or reply to any union statement. To do so would be futile and probably against forum rules.

Discussing Gradifi is welcome.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Discussing Gradifi is welcome.

Sure I'll discuss it:

Graddi has some stupid business to business marketing.

My age is irrelevant.

When you said that:
    ...Is this just another sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society?
    "Is this just another sense of entitlement that is becoming more prevalent in our society"

It got me crabby and I found it a ridiculous statement, and I questioned how you judge that, as from what I can tell today's young adults settle for less than what I remember young adults in the 1970's to '90's did, and (judging from their tales) less than my parents and grandparents generation did in the '50's and '60's, so "more prevalent" compared to when?

That is how your age is relevent.

If you meant the 1830's, sure that's true, folks today feel entitled to more, which I think is a good thing.

Clear?

EDIT:
    On reflection, LordEntrails, if you meant that people my age and older are acting more over-"entitled", then I'd say that's a fair cop and a valid criticism, but if you meant "Millennial's' and younger, I still really don't see it.
    Last edited by 2D8HP; 2018-05-08 at 07:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

*Shrugs*

I'm used to and completely fine with education being a thing collectively paid by tax money, so I wouldn't even see any kind of "entitlement" there.

Running a company and being an employer, I can clearly see the benefits of a FinTech like Gradifi. It can never be stated enough how dependent a company is on good employees, how you should keep turnover rates as low as possible and valuable good incentive programs are to prevent your own "brain drain". Thinking about it, if I were based in the U.S., I´d actually use it side-by-side with a 401K and shared Blue Cross payment to get my greedy hands at some quality people and have them stay. The pressure to repay dept is maybe one of the main reasons that people jump ship and that can be prevented, if you want to.