New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: V's Gender Debate II

OK, so here are my two cents:

I like the theory that V has a spell cast on him/her so s/he won't cheat his/her mate. Somehow everything having to do with the gender things simply isn't percepted by V. This spell also is responsible for V not getting it when Roy is female.

About V not understanding Haley's "time of the month" joke: Maybe elvish women only have one period per year, or another time other than a month. OTOH, I thought that V and Haley know each other pretty good, wouldn't s/he have learned that bit about human women? Of course, V isn't much interested in anything but magic.

About Nale and Sabine: I bet they have discussed that for a very long time, without reaching a conclusion...

Why V isn't a woman: Elvish women in fantasy usually look very good - almost unbelievably good. (Does anyone know an exception but V?)

@Amalthea: Good point, the LG is very modern / non-standard. Maybe that's also part of evil opposites, though ;-)

Or maybe V is really a gay male? (Take care, stereotypes ahead! And I'm not gay myself, so I could be wrong) He plays with how people percept him, deliberately confusing them; he talks more than the average man (I didn't count words in dialogues, but am pretty sure V would win!); he's the best friend of a single woman (OK, now she's not really single anymore). And I think the Giant knows someone who's gay IRL (guess who), so he doesn't have to make everything up, but can depict a realistic gay person.

But at the end, I don't really think he's gay - he's more like a specialized scientist: More interested in the fabric of the multiverse than anything else. In our world people thinking that way tend to be male - physicists, mathemathians, computer scientists...

But those kind of men usually don't know as much about relationships as V... (Unless they managed to form a successful one - then they might know even more)

Confused enough? ;)
    My random thoughts about:
    Dungeon Crawling Fools - OtOoPCs - NCftPB - War and XPs

2. - Top - End - #302
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Oh, forgot something:

In #107 (Belkar complaining and V raising an eyebrow) I had to think of a teenager and his mother.

Maybe that's a hint that V is female after all?

3. - Top - End - #303
    Pixie in the Playground

I think Vaarsuvius is simply beyond the concept of gender and the need to use gender to identify in the world--s/he knows his/her role in the way things work. V seems to know that adding in the concept of gender is unnecessary and rather cumbersome.

I still like the image of Vaarsuvius forgetting to specify a gender on his/her character sheet.

Edit: Anyone want facts about gender identity, transgender individuals or hermaphrodites? Go ask your local sex educator, gynecologist, or andrologist.
    \"There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.\"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Pixie in the Playground

Bah humbug. Personally, I think we all are just going to have to accept the fact that we may never know (gasp) if V is male or female. Instead of bickering and arguing about this we should, as V would put it, argue over more serious conundrums, such as the answer to the question of who will win, Belkar or Miko. We are simply going to have to wait to find out V's gender.
    I have returned! So sayeth me.

This Avatar by: The Stoney One.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Barbarian in the Playground

What are you a Communist?

just kidding, anyway This is the exact same Buzz-kill we got on the Class and Level Geekery board, we do this because it's fun, not because we actually expect to figure out a proper answer.

V is a chick.
    Member of a fanclub.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

I think Vaarsuvius is simply beyond the concept of gender and the need to use gender to identify in the world--s/he knows his/her role in the way things work. V seems to know that adding in the concept of gender is unnecessary and rather cumbersome.
    uhm, interesting...
    This could be true.

anyway, I still think that V's male :D
    \"I love the smell of bat guano in the morning.&&Smells like... victory!\" -V.&&&&Proud Orthodox Banjoist!&&&&Avatar courtesy of Sneak!

7. - Top - End - #307
    Pixie in the Playground

If I've ever talked about Vaarsuvius, I've always talked about him saying that he's a man.

But I gotta say, it really is confusing. I mean, V is the only one that is allowed to sleep in the same room as Haley. Why would she let him do that if he was a guy? ???

And the part where he doesn't realise that Roy has changed gender, that's kinda wierd as well.

So therefore, we must come to the conclusion that he is neither. He is, until this moment on...

*drumroll*

neutral! ;D

lol. :D
    "Woooo! Door is fixed! All hail Door, King of Doorland! Go Elan! Go Elan! I'm Useful!"

8. - Top - End - #308
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by bexie
    But I gotta say, it really is confusing. I mean, V is the only one that is allowed to sleep in the same room as Haley. Why would she let him do that if he was a guy? ???
    Possibilities:

1. V is straight female
    2. V is gay male
    3. V would never ever cheat his/her mate, and Haley knows about that fact
    4. Since V and Haley are friends, s/he knows that Haley doesn't want a sexual relationship with him/her, and doesn't try to change her mind, and thus is tolerated.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max Sinister

Possibilities:

1. V is straight female
    2. V is gay male
    3. V would never ever cheat his/her mate, and Haley knows about that fact
    4. Since V and Haley are friends, s/he knows that Haley doesn't want a sexual relationship with him/her, and doesn't try to change her mind, and thus is tolerated.
    I see. Thanks! That cleared a lot up for me. ;D
    "Woooo! Door is fixed! All hail Door, King of Doorland! Go Elan! Go Elan! I'm Useful!"

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

What people forget a lot when they point out the V-Haley friendship is that gay/effeminate men are often considered women's best friends. Hell, I even saw a book on it once.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Athanatos
    What people forget a lot when they point out the V-Haley friendship is that gay/effeminate men are often considered women's best friends. Hell, I even saw a book on it once.
    I am very masculine, and I have two female friends that consider me their best friend.

Do we hang out all the itme? No.
    Do we do girly things? No.
    Can they call on me and know I'll help in whatever manner I can? Yes.
    Have I proven to be the most loyal and steadfast person they;'ve ever known? Yes.

What many mistake for best friends, are just the people you enjoy having around. Enjoying them doesn't make them the best. Knowing you can always count on them makes them the best.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

12. - Top - End - #312
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evileeyore
    I am very masculine, and I have two female friends that consider me their best friend.

Have I proven to be the most loyal and steadfast person they;'ve ever known? Yes.

What many mistake for best friends, are just the people you enjoy having around. Enjoying them doesn't make them the best. Knowing you can always count on them makes them the best.
    Same here. I have always gotten along better with women then men (something to do with having 5 sisters I think :)) but I'm definately not effeminate. They knock that out of you after your first shooting war in the military! But after my wife, my first two best friends are both women, and we absolutely rely on each other for everything, not matter what. As evileeyore said, _that_ is what makes best friends, not gender or sex issues.
    Now if you gentlemen will just line up at the bottom of the hill, we can all get started!&&&&Avatar by Idksocrates&&&&I\'d punch you in the face, but I don\'t want to get any stupid on my hands! - Breya Schlock Mercenary

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oh, I'm not disputing that at all. The "best friend" line is more of a gay/effeminate men are to women as dog is to mankind "best friend" sort of relationship. Hey, extremely masculine fellows can fulfill that same niche as well.

The post in question was made simply as a counterargument to the people who claim V is a female based on his/her relationship with Haley.
    Check out my first creation, the Wrathling. Look at it, comment on it, help balance it, vote for it. Any help is appreciated.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Orc in the Playground

V could be a male and female.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Pixie in the Playground

im sure this has been said many times before but i think V is genderless...because gender has nothing to do with the strength of a character and he/she/it seems to me to be a rather typical powergamer
    He who loots and runs away lives to loot another day&&ME LOVE THOG

16. - Top - End - #316

Quote Originally Posted by Count-Tyr
    im sure this has been said many times before but i think V is genderless...because gender has nothing to do with the strength of a character and he/she/it seems to me to be a rather typical powergamer
    Actually the currently best theory I've seen is:

The player never checked either gender box on the character sheet as they had nothing to do with Total Cosmic Power!
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

17. - Top - End - #317
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent
    What are you a Communist?
    Yes.
    Yes I am.
    \"There is no emotion; there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.\"

18. - Top - End - #318
    Dwarf in the Playground

i dont know if anyone said this but in comic 240 the assasan screams "whore attack!" And with him being clearly established as a male figure...that would make V a girl.

also a few comics earlier Haley talks to V about it being roys "time of the month." I think that also hints at V being a girl. but i dont know anything :P. so whatever.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nightfire8199
    i dont know if anyone said this but in comic 240 the assasan screams "whore attack!" And with him being clearly established as a male figure...that would make V a girl.

also a few comics earlier Haley talks to V about it being roys "time of the month." I think that also hints at V being a girl. but i dont know anything :P. so whatever.
    That means the assassin though V was a girl. No more, no less.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

ah i get it... oh well i thought it could be possible evidence.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Pixie in the Playground

V is married, an elf, and completely uninterested romantically in the other party members. Maybe V just turned off the gender marker, believing that gender has no relevance to party contribution. A lot of people on these boards get by without gender arrows. :P
    MrMark on wizards and party harmony:&&
    And if the party is giving you a hard time about not pulling your weight? Charm them! They will instantly see the value in what you are doing.
    &&

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by Jaime
    Yes.
    Yes I am.
    Why hello there fellow Communist.... Come here often?

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge...
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

23. - Top - End - #323
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, you are a communist too? Er i mean, V has no gender, none, it will be revealed at the last comic, like the identity of SB. So lets just wait it out, comrade.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Barbarian in the Playground

Male

Quote Originally Posted by fhthd
    V has no gender, none, it will be revealed at the last comic, like the identity of SB.
    Excuse my ignorance, but who is SB?
    Author of Twice Blessed, a D&D webcomic:

25. - Top - End - #325
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been reading this for a few months now, and I just joined about 5 minutes ago

So...

I personally always thought of V as a woman. I guess that when it comes to stick figure drawings where you don't have much to go on besides hair, I connect long hair with females.

I'm not saying I do that in real life, I'm just talking about stick figure comics. : P

Although I think that when all is said and done, V will end up being neither/both, as much as I don't really want to dwell on that right now after lunch.

As for the SB, I think it means Shadow/Secret Beast? The one Xykon has yet to reveal. It's the only other unrevealed thing I could think of.
    Noobish but deadly

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Leveller
    As someone said on page 4x in the old thread, maybe V just never checked the box for male female on it's chracter sheet? After all it did not name its familiar, remeber?
    Actually, in The Origins of PCs when V applies to join Roys group, he comments that a splotch of ink seems to have spilled on Vs application covering the spot which indicates the sex of the applicant... Not that this helps in the slightest!
    "I am a sexy shoeless god of war!!!" --OOTS #439

27. - Top - End - #327
    Orc in the Playground

I hope they find out V has both female and male gender body parts.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Pixie in the Playground

SB=Strong bad Er, SB=Shadow beast
    And what kind of person would want V to be a Shemale? That thought is just sickening!

29. - Top - End - #329
    Pixie in the Playground

Pretty frequently, comrade. Maybe we can go out sometime at the, um, Gaming Forum.

More on V's gender debate:
    You know, this is all proof that Vaarsuvius is an awesome character. S/he's spawned over 70 (including the original thread) pages of debate, and there's still no real verdict as to what the wizard's gender real is.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Pixie in the Playground

I really haven't been bothered to read all twenty two pages so forgive me if this has already been said, though in quite a few episodes, V is referred to as "she" or "elf chick". Also Pompey is clearly her opposite according to Nale, and Pompey is male. I always thought V was male until this evidence came along.
    http://colorlessmidnight.spaces.msn.com - my website, visit if you wish