New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 83 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Wis (1d20+1)[19]

it was a tense fight..but Frederic and I had it swiftly handled....did yall run from the otherside of town? There were guards right by the gate who could have come helped!! ..and i know not where these goblin. .things came from..they are a bit bigger than i am used to though Orth clearly seems agitated by the fact the closest guards he knew of seemed to have no interest in helping keep the town safe and we should let the...leader guy know about this because you are right..there is always more where that came from

2. - Top - End - #62

RangerGuy

Spoiler: Robina
    Show

Finds amongst the goblinoids
    3 longswords
    80gp
    And a note, the note when looked at is unitelligeble as it is written in goblin.

3. - Top - End - #63

RangerGuy

A minute or so passes and a guard (1) does show up.

Guard:
    hes wearing a set of heavy guard uniform, usually reserved for gate guards to help make them look intimidating.
    whats going on her-- ah, I see a skirmish. Well it looks like you handled yourselves well. When we heard the whistle we didn't think much of it till you guys (looking at
    the school detail)
    ran through. I thought I'd come to help. Though it's clear I was unneeded, I shall return to my post.

Spoiler: spot DC 10
    Show
    you see the patch of the guard on his shoulder pauldron and it resembles the same as yours, clearly he shares the same rank you do as well.

the guard turns to leave

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Post Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Wait, could you at least tell the sergeant of this incident for us? Once we find some evidence of what the heck this group was doing here, and get some different sounding whistles for the rest of the guards...at least the ones at the gates?
    spot check(1d20+2)[4]
    wis check (1d20+2)[19]
    Do we have anything that can carry all the bodies at once or a way to dispose of them, like fire? Speaking of bodies, did you guys get hurt at all?

5. - Top - End - #65

RangerGuy

The guard:

I can relay a message from the gate to your commander yes. But are you guys not heading back in yourselves? Strange. Though I will do it. Peace to you brothers. (unless anyone says anything else to him. He walks away.)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Robina
    There are likely to be more of them, we should report to the Sergeant. Then maybe get a team out here to remove the bodies. If we leave them out in the open it'll attract something nasty, or they'll turn into something nastier
    Why remove, when you can burn? Frederic gathered some firewood and started making a fire with his flint and steel. After it started burning he said to Orth (because Orth has muscles) would you please help me throwing these bodies into the flames?

[OOC] If nobody hinders him burning their bodies, he will say a short prayer. Even they are goblinoids, they are humanoids and more important, they died honorful in a battle

7. - Top - End - #67

Well thanks for nothing guard...
    Outloud Orth says informing him for us would be helpful yes and seeing if extra guards could help patrol the area..seeing as we are uninjured and still good on resources i figured we could go explore a bit farther south since this is the only area they couls have a base..

Orth gets quickly tired of talking to the other guard and proceeds to help Frederic with piling the bodies oh..and we managed to get through uninjured Jon thanks for asking ..Frederic's magic kept us safe

8. - Top - End - #68

ElfMonkGuy

Thank you, you are being a great help... said to the guard, but kind of trailing off at the word help.
    Turning to Orith and assisting in the clean up.
    South?

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

"South is not in our orders. We are to patrol the village remember? Besides if we leave now there is no one else patrolling. However, some of us can run back to the sergeant and inform him of developments then run back whilst you finish burning these.

Does anybody want a sword?"

She takes one and attaches it at her hip.

"And drinking money about 4 score, and does anyone read Goblin?

If no one else wants a sword and no one can read Goblin she is going to head back to town, find the sergeant and report. She will take the swords and the note with her.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2018-05-22 at 08:41 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70

ElfMonkGuy

Question Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

How about a compromise? just a half hour walk south for our own recovery, my chance to hit something, and some vindication, THEN a large loop around the place. This was apparently the only disturbance, RIGHT NOW and most of the monsters that wander close have a cave or at least some shelter in that general direction. We only have so long before we are suppose to report in and if don't seriously follow up I don't want to run through the whole town again, based on my prejudices and hope Your guys' display of might made cowards of the foes we have yet to face.
    Has for the swords, if no one wants them, put them towards maintenance of your gear. "Worn Well, not well worn" was a favorite saying of a friend.

Jon's head bobs and weaves, making eye contact with all around during his little speech, adding the gestures of exhaustion, fist clenching and un-clenching as needed, and then flourishing his hand at the armors we wear and finishing has if he was just caught naked in the shower by a lover with another.

Snapping out of character mode and back into disciplined modeWait...Goblin?, Yes that is something that I can do for all of you. I had to learn it for reasons.

(OOC:Rolls? y/n?)

Didn't we send the other guard to report in, where did he go?
    Last edited by JonMarker2; 2018-05-22 at 03:00 PM. Reason: move this down below Orth's comment, forgot part.

11. - Top - End - #71

Orth winces having already forgotten he was part of an official group now..
    Right..it would be smarter to..inform the leader of what our intentions are and if he wants up to follow up. Although i personally think have a nest of goblins nearby, especially ones like these,is never a good idea for safety or business

Orth shrugs slightly at the offer of a sword and declines but will take some gold if Robina is passing it out

oh and Jon, i assume South because there is really no where else near for these beings to have come from, there is mountain range along the way and that would be the pest place for making a home for vile things like that Orth lightly kicks a body that was piled up Alas, as much as i really want to go for that half hour hike..Robina is most likely correct in saying we need to report and get permission..these bodies will take a bit to burn if she wished to run back.. or I could be sent if someone wishes to write a note for the captain unless they wish me to just speak of what has happened here. I only offer because i feel like possibly the fleetest of foot among us.. Orth looks around at the party seeing how winded the newcomers seemed to be and recalling that even Frederic had trouble keeping up with him ( Orth moves at 50ft a round naturally due to human 30ft +10ft fast movement+10ft quick trait)

12. - Top - End - #72

RangerGuy

Spoiler: goblin note
    Show
    a quick glance at the note and it's easy to recognize that it's just a list of orders for the grunts. With a quick quirp at the end. It reads as follows.

Scout the outer southern perimeter for any weakness that can be exploited, report back to camp immediately with any information. make no contact with any guards at all costs, the success of Grakdo's plan is dependent on surprise and the hostages cooperation. Don't fail me Brach'na

The bodies burn with quite the intensity as Frederic also finishes up his prayer. While Jon reads the note the smell of burning goblinoids behind him starts to write into the air.
    Last edited by CNFish; 2018-05-22 at 03:18 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Orth? Really? A man like you follows the orders of some multi-stared-city-guard, before your own good sense? Sure, we are on our watch, but guys, what is, if this was just a scouting group? Okay, they were to slow for scouts, but what is if a mile away are 1000 of these? Wouldn't it be better to know what's going on?

I'm all in for searching the area if here are more from this... this...

Does anyone know what these creatures were?

14. - Top - End - #74

RangerGuy

Spoiler: knowledge nature dc 15
    Show
    you can no longer know for certain beyond the charred remains of the creatures but from memory before burning these were definitely reminiscint of hobgoblins.

*+1 bonus if oorth spills the beans about them being larger than goblins

15. - Top - End - #75

ElfMonkGuy

d20 Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Spilling the beans on what the note says:
    This part is Grakdo's plan to study our south end by seeing where the guards are thinnest was to be carried out by one of these husks named Brach'na...If I had to guess there are at least 4 more of these, one for each gate.

That stench...[roll]1d20+0+2[/roll] (nature)

First facing Orth, then with a respectful bow and a single hand raised for the Amend of the pray Looks like our prays are about to start, let us hope we can make it to the other gates in time. So who wants to start a panic? Raising my bow over my head.

Spot check for horses or something that could speed us up with a gaze towards the nearest gate(1d20+2)[17]
    Spot check to see if note was torn into pieces [roll]1d20+2[/roll]

(OOC: that is the nature check when I state: "that stench", but without penalties for being untrained in knowledge nature / wild lore and "bigger than gobs" bonus and do we notice the smoke spelling? Where the heck is the gate guard we sent? The failing to roll rolls are in OOC of this and they are 7 nature, and 10 for pieces)
    Last edited by JonMarker2; 2018-05-22 at 05:40 PM. Reason: roll labels / falling to write

16. - Top - End - #76

RangerGuy

Spoiler: jon
    Show
    you can't tell what the beasts are either, and you see nothing out of the ordinary looking towards the nearest gate (the one the school party came out of. This is also where the guard was walking back to.)

Ooc: the smell is charred flesh it's coming from the decomposing flesh of the monsters. And next time with your rolls don't do multiple additions if you want just explain the bonuses out to the side of the formula that way they will work. For example X+3 [6] (rolled number) (+2 for x, +1 for y)

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

I only offer because I feel like possibly the fleetest of foot among us..

Over distance? Yes. But with my magic I can get there and back faster than anyone here.

Robina turns very serious when Jon reads the note.

So we have an imminent surprise attack, and the talk of hostages - which will be our missing persons. This is something we tell command.

Wouldn't it be better to know what's going on?

It would, but even if I wasn't under military command with the threat of the noose hanging over me if I do something they don't like I'd still want to go back, share that information with as many people as possible so they know what we know and make sure I had all my gear and was properly equipped before I go out into the wilderness hunting goblins. Especially if I am going to have to do a hostage rescue.

By all means push on if you want right now, I can catch up if necessary

So she is going back, whether anyone else is or not

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by finaldooms View Post

Orth shrugs slightly at the offer of a sword and declines but will take some gold if Robina is passing it out
    She's not passing it out, considering it "Party Funds"

She is telling you what's there and making no effort to hide it and keeping it separate from here own money.

19. - Top - End - #79

Spoiler: robina
    Show
    fair enough :) just had to say something

...wait thats something they can hang you for? That seems rather..barbaric, and Frederic im normally all for going off..but you saw the other guard/s ...they seem to have no real care or concern for whatever happens so leaving the town defenseless without warning seems foolhardy ..shame we burned the bodies now haha..coulda used them as a warning sign by hanging them off the walls Orth looks around hoping Anders ( i think is the name) has some insight into these monsters more than just bigger goblins ( or if DM allows i can try 1 more roll for know:nature)

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

It was on the wall in the barracks cowardice or failure will result in the imprisonment or hanging of said individuals.

And it won't be us that gets to decide what cowardice or failure is, because I'm sure somebody can turn going after the goblins and not telling anybody into an attempt to desert, or even shirk our duty. Especially if we come back with nothing, which is a possibility.

21. - Top - End - #81

ElfMonkGuy

Lightbulb Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Happy at the offers of someone else; in addition to the guard we talk to; actually runs back, while the rest of the party steels itself. The expression of joy sours back to that crazy sweeping gaze.

Here's a thought... if the guards over there didn't care or do anything and these bodies are over here, how then did they get past the guards, animals, and folk that live around here? A hole big enough to stuff these turkeys through, or gold? I am going to use an estimation on distances, please stay away from the pointy end.

Taking out an arrow and holding by the shaft with the pointy end at the end of his fist, but not knocking it. Jon measures the distance guarded area to current location by roughly guessing how many shafts long that is. He is also taking notes if there are large naturally occurring objects, seldom used shack / houses, and other oddities that would obscure line of sight. After the approximation the arrow will be put away and the results will be announced.

number of shafts:
    number of naturally occurring blocks:
    Sheds / shacks:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You say it: cowardice or failure will result in the imprisonment or hanging of said individuals.
    Is it coward to go to hostile terrain? To end an invasion of piggy-faces? Maybe to fight outnumbered with little chance of success?
    I would say NO.

Is it coward to know about the danger and do nothing? Is it a failure if we got overrunned? I guess!

And what would they do if we find the enemy's camp, start a fight, loose and die? Imprison us? Hahahahaha...

Ya...

Na, really, we should go and seek these buggers. If we know how many they are, we could discuss again what to do.

Write a note to Sergeant Grouse-alot, tell him we scout for goblinkinds and shoot it at the guardhouse. Or Orth can deliver the note, whatever.

But if these 3 ashpiles here are really scouts and they don't come back, piggyface-chieftain will seek them. And he see the fire - or smell them.

Whatever we do, we should hurry.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Look it seems perfectly valid to go chasing off into the mountains but what if they’re somewhere else and attack while we’re away? That could do a lot of damage to the town. Besides which we were just learning about several missing persons and unless they can roam the streets of this town without worry I’m not sure it was them that did the abduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Robina is going to jog back the barracks and report, looking first for the sergeant or for any officer.

Anyone who is reporting back or needs something from the village come with me now then. I'm not standing around getting the stench of burnt goblin all over me. May I have the note back please Jon?

"Sir, Omega detachment engaged and killed three goblinoids to the South. We found a note with them. With talk of an attack and hostages it is our intention to followup to the South.

If there is no problem with that she will drop the swords at the barracks, grab her pack and head back to join up with the others.

25. - Top - End - #85

ElfMonkGuy

Handing the note over and the acquired whistle with a serious frown:
    Grakdo and Brach'na; Bare minimum, lets get an enemy number and good place to fight.

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler: jon
    Show
    can you be a little more...precise? With your posts? With the whole arrow measuring thing i have no idea what you're actually doing ( are you measuring thr distance from where we found the gobs to...the mountain? Or from the uncaring guards to the gobs?)
    Not trying to sound rude if it comes off that way just feeling a tad lost

In response to Frederic. .
    while i completely agree with you in what WE view as cowardice and whatnot, I'm sure paper pushers wouls see it as otherwise
    Plus if there really is a camp goblins..and these look really similar to goblins just bigger.. Are known to live in large groups ..sure 3 of them did not seem to be a problem..but what if its 30?50?100? Eventually something will land a lucky strike on us..so id rather we have or at least know we have reinforcements. .but we should hur..oh look there goes robina

Orth quickly checks his pack but seems to have all that he needs for travel if we got told to go si he shakes his head at the offer to restock in town
    while she is gone, Jon and Anders did yall happen to get any info on the missing people? I know the search was brief due to us whistling ( me)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If they are just 30, it will be fun! If there are 50 of them, it will be challenging. If more, it could be a problem measured on the last fight Frederic was serious with his statement. He didn't think (or know) that they were just lucky not getting hit.

28. - Top - End - #88

RangerGuy

Spoiler: oorth
    Show
    Since sometime has passed, you can retry your Knowledge nature.

Spoiler: Jon
    Show
    Jon starts measuring distances and layouts and overall he cannot really tell much, the goblinoids where pretty close to the walls (about a couple hundred feet away from the actual wall.) and if measuring the distance from where they are to the mountain it could've taken them awhile to get there.

Spoiler: Robina
    Show
    Robina after a short bit of arriving back to barracks finds the sergeant and proceeds to tell him of what she believes transpired outside the walls.

Sergeant:
    Goblins? A long silent pause, and a few looks of not caring. nevertheless where is the rest of your team? and you say they have hostages? hm, this is concerning, he says in a rather raised tone to seem concerned. i cannot have the village thinking that some nuisance of goblins are going to be a problem. he says in a rather hushed, but not whispering tone. you and your team should press further, ill send a Detachment to follow up with you guys. Alpha should get there shortly after you with all due haste. ill also increase patrols around the village.

Spoiler: sense motive DC 20
    Show
    You get the feeling that his words are not sincere...

After robina sprints off the group wanders, or paces about the burning bodies still determining a course of action, awaiting her return. Oorth then begins to pry for information from the two other members of the school party.
    Last edited by CNFish; 2018-05-24 at 11:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

Orth watches Jon for a moment then decides to think back to the foes he vanquished feeling like he can place them..

Know:Nat (1d20+5)[23]

you would be surprised how quickly numbers help someone..i heard from a friend that they got attacked by a pack of kobolds and nearly died from just 20 or so of them..and i feel that a kobold would be weaker than whatever these are. but let us praise Kord for our good fortune at slaying them with such ease and hope that he keeps his favor on us when/if we are sent to deal with the rest

thinking thinking thinking...

aha!! now i know why they seemed like bigger goblins!! these are Hobgoblins, known for being bullies and pushing the lesser regular goblins around..if they have a leader who is doing a hostage situation then we should probly be concerned because hobs are not likely to follow anything they feel is weaker than them..
    Last edited by finaldooms; 2018-05-24 at 10:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

ElfMonkGuy

(OOC: The measurement is meant to be from the guards gate post to where the bodies are laid and a way to survey what is in the way of seeing the walls / edge of the village. Therefore what I am looking for would be the later; the gobs to uncaring guards; because I thought we were about South of South East on a rose compass and not perfectly east or south. Basically it tells me that the guards should / should not have seen the monsters come in, in a Yes or No fashion. The announcements were more to see for the players to ask for a spot roll on "object" X and go into "area" Y. If there was places that had backs to the wall that could hide a hole. I was hoping to get a direction to go.)

Know your enemy, know their number, don't show weakness, and get lucky. Good a plan as any.

Slowly meandering to the nearest natural land mark that covers my straight line of sight to the village wall gaze sweeping over the area. Speaking just loud enough for the group, but not raising my voice, so they will have to follow me to hear what I am saying.
    Still the only things we got was a glimpse of the boyfriend and his name...It is going to take me a minute or two to remember what it was though. My wits ran off, before me.