Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Sense Motive (1d20)[3](3)+4

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Yes sergeant. We wanted to keep this quiet so as not to alarm the townsfolk. We will follow up as instructed.

She will hasten into her barracks, drop the two swords, grab her backpack and check her waterskin. Then quickly double check around to make sure that no one else left anything here they may want and hustle back out of town.

If the group have moved on, she may use some magic to catch up

Sergeant is happy for us to follow up, he will send another detachment after us as well. We all ready? I have 4 days food and a waterskin, hope that will be enough

OOC:

Frederick 3 days rations, waterskin

Ander Nothing

Jon, Waterskin

Oorth, 6 rations, 4 ranks in survival

And no one with the track feat...

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Post Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Let us hope we can just stick to the perimeter patrol for now, it isn't like I can track anything. Usually I just look around for whatever is out of place and go from there. Maybe if we know we are going to get in over our heads we can enlist some of the local adventures from their hang outs and keep ourselves safe.
    If no one is stopping Jon, then I will continue getting closer to the wall (Hopefully near an object that obscures my line of sight to the wall. )

My eyes are focusing on the area around us, but my mind wanders a little trying to recall details about the boyfriend, like was he dressed to nicely to be a commoner, did he have any scars, his name was?

( OOC: Is the perimeter patrol for inside or outside the boundary of the village? )

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

well if we decide to pursue these, hobs arnt known for being the most stealthy of creatures so i MIGHT be able to find something to lead the way Orth looks fairly ..uncomfortable to suddenly realize he might have to find path they might have used to go back to the base

although Jon has a point, there might be someone in town who could help us track them if nothing else , i mean this is a countryside town so there are hunters and possibly others who know the area

5. - Top - End - #95

RangerGuy

after a few minutes Robina rejoins the group, letting them know the sergeant is sending in a detachtment of reinforcements behind them. Jon, being the sneaky sneak he is hugs up against a rock that is near the wall.

Spoiler: jon
    Show
    As far as your measurements go, there are rolling hills and trees in the area, dense in some areas and sparse in others, though it should be noted these walls are nothing more than raised wood, to create a barrier between the town and the outside world. with a few posts that raise over the walls for the guards to peer over. yet there doesn't seem to be any posted in this area specifically. this is particularly why a periemeter patrol is needed to help close the gap.

at this point the party needs to decide what their next move is, if i read correctly you have three options.

1. Pursue on into the mountains south of the village looking for where the Hobgoblins base may be.
    2. Head back into town to look for additional help.
    3. Continue Patrolling the Perimeter for any additional foes or info that may help in your crusade.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ander pipes up again, having finally got all of his breath back, Instill reckon that we just ask for sentries to be posted and go back to other investigations. It will be better for us to fight them just outside the village than in the middle of their own fort.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadarMonkey1 View Post
    I suddenly feel that my character is not as optimized as it could be...

Oh well, it should still be fun.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

You're right, Anders, but first of all we have to find them. Maybe there's a bottleneck near the piggies-camp, but we should go NOW!

The smell of Goblin-barbeque is everywhere. They will come! And it's better to fight far away from our city, isn't it?

Frederic wasn't affraid of the coming challenge, he just wanted the villagers to be save.

8. - Top - End - #98

ElfMonkGuy

Exclamation Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

I've said it once, I'll say it again. A good half hour walk in the direction you saw the hobgoblins now with the back up we are going to get and we still do our job to keep our necks: the perimeter sweep. Hopefully being able to check in EACH gate. We will make ourselves easy targets, but we will soon have backup and a lay of the land. Once we have a good bearing today, tomorrow we can ask any guards, guides, rangers, or adventurers willing to take us. We can get food supplies, make sure the gate guards have different sounding whistles posted at the gate, and if needs be make peace with the gods. Yes I am mean for giving up on the missing people, but when monsters show up and people go missing. Those betting odds suck. Exploring and finding means preparing. Fighting means Making one's opponent weak. You have fought once, do you feel weak or do you have the guts to make your opponent weak?

Hopefully I've walked myself slowly over to the wall, if it is near one of those looking post then I would love to take a view from there.

( OOC: option #3 for right now)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

You're right, Anders, but first of all we have to find them. Maybe there's a bottleneck near the piggies-camp, but we should go NOW!

If we have said we are going to go we should go. Time be wasting, I would rather hit them before they realise their scouts are dead. None of us have a scratch on us and we are mostly fresh.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2018-05-26 at 05:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

OOC:

Option 1

11. - Top - End - #101

RangerGuy

Spoiler: jon ooc
    Show
    the tower is on the inside of the gate. Sorry for not clarifying to be able to look inside of it you'd either need to make a climb check or go around to the gate and down to it's position.

12. - Top - End - #102

Orth listens to both sides of the agruement...im all for going after them ...IF we hire someone in town to helpbus track them..i know we can get a skilled person for just 3sp for the day if we ask in town..this way we can also find out if there might be an attacking force we might have missed..and im sure if we pay some real gold instead of silver we could find an adventurer who could at least help track
    If no one else agrees Orth wil go with choice 1 but with serious doubts as to if we are guna survive
    Spoiler: DM
    Show
    either PH1 or DMG has the price for hiring npc for work, since we arnt expecting the 3sp guy to fight if we encounter trouble the price should stay roughlty the same...if we go for an experienced adventurer il like to request a ranger of 2nd or 3rd lvl with ranks in survival and the track feat

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Most who develop the skills to track do so to make their livelihood. Says Ander, searching for a good place to sit down as the others talk. They’d likely be out of town at midday so that would probably mean waiting until tomorrow.

14. - Top - End - #104

ElfMonkGuy

frown Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Are you sure people are coming for us? We should tell the closest gate where and why we are going and look for a spot or goat pass ( OOC: It is a path that is easily traveled and / or used for herding animals, I am not looking for a Deer trail, that is way beyond our characters' skills. Think movie: "300" ) that makes for easy traveling from the hilly area to here and get a good look around. This way we know what to report, and can look for someone with more specific knowledge of the area to at least the hills. I don't know about you, but I travel light and without knowing what to do out there, well we are saving the enemy time by doing their jobs our-self. At bear minimum we set a time limit.

Jon is slowly changing his to Op:1 with 2 very easy stipulations.

( OOC: if the party sets a time limit and tells the nearest gate, Jon will easily follow along, if not He will still go grumpily. Yeah, never mind on the viewing spot. Honestly I was just looking for some place that I could stick my head above and see over what wall there is.)
    Last edited by JonMarker2; 2018-05-27 at 05:14 AM. Reason: no climbing, just looking

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

okay. Go to town and find a tracker. I wait here. But if you aren't back when he looked at the sky and the landscape the sun is above this tree over here, I will go and search them for myself!
    Frederic sat down and started a prayer to Kord to bless him for future fights.

He estimated that the time span would be about 2 hours. But having no deeper knowledge ( = no ranks) in nature and the exact way of the sun and so on ( = survival) he could be wrong.

16. - Top - End - #106

RangerGuy

Spoiler: frederic
    Show
    for reasons. The sun is directory overhead.

17. - Top - End - #107

ElfMonkGuy

Alright I will make a dash for the requisition office first and see if we can get someone that way, if not I will try to get someone of talent from a local haunt. If you all leave before me, then at the base of the hills is where I will first try to meet you and if you have to leave there, leave behind behind this small piece of tied rope as a signal.

With that I scan from south gate to east gate outside area and try to point out a small visible clearing at the base of the hill, just before it become mountainous from where we stand as the meeting point and give them 1 knotted foot of my tied hemp rope. Then after looking over my shoulder one last time, I make a mad dash bee lining for the requisition office.

( OOC: I want the clearing to very visible at least to us, one that wouldn't even be a DC 10 to find and I will leave this statement at the dashing part in case anyone wants to interject before I dash off. )

Spoiler: if i make it to the office
    Show
    Statement if I made it to the requisition office: "Requisitions Officer, is there anyway we can requisition an able body for tracking Hobgoblins and rations for 1 week. We have been attacked and subdued those visible to us, but our group fears there are more we have not been able to find."
    Last edited by JonMarker2; 2018-05-28 at 06:42 AM. Reason: food

18. - Top - End - #108

RangerGuy

The party makes the decision that everyone but Frederic is going to go back to the town for resupply and other information. Frederick takes post up some hundred feet away from the burned bodies up against a tree as he begins to recite a prayer intending to stay in said position until his comrades come back or dusk hits (sun is already above the horizon, next time it hits the horizon it'll be night time (dusk). You won't need a nature check for this, its common knowledge. Knowing the exact time however or a more accurate time will need a nature check.)

(if you intend to stay and wait with Fredrick make that a point in your next post so I know.

As the party begins there trek back into town thoughts wonder across their minds of things they may need and information they need to gather before they wander off on their next adventure
    Last edited by CNFish; 2018-05-28 at 12:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    yeah, Frederic is waiting. If the approximately 2 hours have passed (shadow of this tree hitting this stone or whatever) he will take the rope and walk south.

Maybe it will be 3 hours, till this event occurs, maybe one and a half. That's up to you CNFish.

20. - Top - End - #110

Orth will trot ahead to the tavern and ask around for a tracker for militia use, but will pay for it if they prove to be useful ..the better the tracker the better the pay

21. - Top - End - #111

ElfMonkGuy

Looking back at Orth and seeing that he is also jogging along:
    Orth! What else do you think we should get from the office? Kind of want to squeeze them for whatever they can give us!

Presuming that I made it to the militia barracks and the requisition office, After saluting those that need it, and saying:
    "I can't stay our group is on mission. (add title here or sir / mama has needed)" to those that are trying to slow me down.

Requisitions Officer (add title here), is there anyway we can requisition an able body for tracking Hobgoblins, a pull cart, (anything that Orth mentioned), and rations for 1 week for six. We have been attacked and subdued those visible to us, but our group fears there are more we have not been able to find.

( Hope the underlined parts are self explanatory? )

22. - Top - End - #112

RangerGuy

Shortly after arriving back at the middle of the village near the administration buildings. At this point Oorth veers off and heads to a local tavern as the others head back towards the barracks in the southern parts of the village.

Spoiler: oorth
    Show
    you walk into the nearest local pub, upon entering the pub seems desolate and empty only a couple people are actually there, two men and a bar-woman serving drinks, the smell of alcohol burns your nose and with little effort it's clear that the two souls there are already drunk.

BW - As she finishes topping off the two older gentlemen, she looks up and eyes you standing at the door. Before she can say anything one of the older men give her a swift slap on the rear and a wink.she walks away, back towards the bar counter and without even making eye contact. Great, another early morning drunk come to grace my presence. Ah, and a guard of the milita no less... Wonderful... Whatll it be? . she brings up an empty tankard ready to pour face glass upon your request.

Spoiler: Jon
    Show

The quartermaster is less than pleased of your formalities. He's rather gaunt and tired. A type should just doesn't care to be where he is. And has no motivation to do anything about it. really? A week's worth of rations for a patrol group? You want the captain to come down on me? There's no way I can spare that many rations. Best I can do is 3.
    And tracker? What do you think we are here son? A band of hunters? We're warriors.. Not hunters. Though there may be someone with skills of that nature who were called up in the militia but we don't have that information here.

23. - Top - End - #113

Orth blinks
    actually i dont drink and even if i did, when on the job is not the right time..although if anyone is causing you a problem i can handle that while im here.. Orth pauses briefly to glare at the offender

aside from that i was wondering if you knew where i could find some capable hunters or even if im lucky a skilled woodsman ( aka ranger) we found some tracks that we cant recognize outside near the wall and needed them identified and if need be followed back to the orgin if dangerous..im willing to pay as long as they can prove they have the skills ans i dont even need them to help take it down if need be so its relatively safe

24. - Top - End - #114

ElfMonkGuy

Question Re: A Test of your Prowers, The Endless Guantlet

Forcing himself to be a little less formal:

I'll take what I can get...Has for a Tracker, isn't there good hunting grounds towards the south that we could come across anybody that's tied to the village? If you can't get me to them directly, then may I take a letter of introduction from someone here to them?

Spoiler: once checked, once back
    Show
    Once all preps are made, a check of the sun position and a slowed dash (I'm already at a medium load)
    Once back at the meeting spot, unload to the others

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Robina throws the purse of 80GP at Oorth as he leaves, You may need this if you have supplies to get, I will stay here with Frederic

26. - Top - End - #116

RangerGuy

Spoiler: oorth
    Show

The offender doesn't even pass you a glance, he doesn't care. The Batista (that's the name I was looking for not bar-woman lol.) smiles a bit, it's not everyday she sees this kind of chivalry from commoners or guards.. She finds it refreshing to say the least.

Batista - hmph, thanks anyways but it comes with the job. Eventually you get used to it. skilled woodsman.. Most of the men worth their salt in mastery of their skills have already jumped town or joined with the rebel faction, serfs. her gaze begins to shift to the men at the table. the only person your going to be able to find is this old geezer in the corner. He used to be a master woodsman they called him. Now the only thing he's a matter at is avoiding his tab!!! her raised voice causes the man who groped her to raise his head slightly. And then move back to position. whatever you do with him. Bring him back. He's one of my best customers.. she turns to walk away and into the store room of the tavern.

*it should be noted the man she is talking about isn't the groper it's the other one.

Spoiler: Frederic and Robina
    Show
    I need to know what you guys are doing relative to the burned bodies. If you guys are doing anything at all. Frederic can still be perched up next to the tree I just need a confirmation that's what you guys are doing.

Spoiler: jon
    Show

Quartermaster: sorry no-one I can think of. Hunters usually go for long treks in the woods before coming back to the village to sell the furs at the market to the travelling merchants making their way to the kingdom. You may have some luck there but it being near middle of the week and day there may not be anyone there at all. He begins to flip through some ledgers on his desk, gets up to grab the rations, and brings you 6 boxes of rations. here are you supplies. I'll have this charged to the omega squad then? as he notices a small omega patch on your armor. now if you needn't have anything else for me to do. Its about time I count the longswords in storage... For the fifth time this week.. He begrudges a sigh and forces himself into the mindless labor of his job.

Spoiler: everyone else.
    Show
    need to know what your doing as well please

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ander, less focused than the others on the bugbear raises his own voice. So um.. I no-one law minds I might head back to the school? Do a little more on that side? We probably have until tomorrow before we’ll head on out anyway.

28. - Top - End - #118

ElfMonkGuy

Horribly awkwardly looking and confusing as heck, from a first glance it looks like Jon is taking an "At ease stance", but he is trying to lean in and making it look like he is focusing solely on the quartermaster.

Omega Aye, the rations "Items Orth listed" tent,rope,lanterns or torches, chalk, some fur coats, and hats, and advice you have given are greatly appreciated. When Omega gets back from ordeal, we will have to ask about swapping some non-overnight duties for you...After you show us the ropes about this job, honestly it looks nice. About the weapons though ...I have a horrible theory about how linear these current events are... did any go missing just after the two missing people?

Jon listens to the quartermaster one last time and reserves not to comment on what the quartermaster last stated, in favor of mulling the linear thought into one big idea he could spit out to the party.

THANK YOU, again.

Trundling back to the original meeting point, hoping to find a cart.

Spoiler: OOC: Hackned areas
    Show
    ( OOC: In the post before this, i did state that if Orth gave me a list I would try to get what I could, so if no one wants to redo this role play, then that is fine with me. If the swords from the hobgoblins are the missing swords, then I DEFINITELY won't comment! How big are the boxes? )
    Last edited by JonMarker2; 2018-05-30 at 12:36 PM. Reason: an item list

29. - Top - End - #119

( sorry i just noticed Jon had asked me a question)
    **** Orth catches the gold pouch before going supplies right..*******

To Jon. if we are going to be out for a while, we need food,bedrolls or a tent,rope,lanterns or torches, chalk to mark our wau if we go into the moutain, i dont know what season it is..if cold we might want some fur coats if hot we need hats Orth keeps going rhe entire way back to town till they split up but offers to buy whatever the armory doesnt give with party gold

To the barista Im just doing my job..might as well do it right and i assume the groper is not the person your refering too with a small smile Orth moves over to the only other patron good day sir, as im sure you overheard We need a tracker and if you can prove your worth you will be paid for it

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Robina will pause for a bit and get her breath back, whilst taking care to stay upwind of the burning corpses and a decent way away.

So, what gives? Everybody was ready to go charging off into the wilderness in hot pursuit and when I get back they've changed their minds.

She will poke about and take 20 on a search of the immediate area and then 10 on an untrained survival check to see if she can pick up their trail