New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default New God of War or original trilogy?

Which do you like better? I'm absolutely in love with the new one. I personally started to get bored of the original trilogy about halfway through the 2nd game.
    Avatar created by Honest Tiefling!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: New God of War or original trilogy?

Back in the days of the original my melee chop-em-up of choice was Ninja Gaiden, so the first one was the only one I seriously played.

Then of course Bayonetta rendered every other entry in the genre obsolete.

The new one is pretty close to the top of its chosen game though. A less linear Sad Dad game than The Last of Us with Souls inspired combat. Also I like T’ealc as Kratos.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Different games, really. I loved the original trilogy but it was a time a for a change and I'm glad that they have really changed a LOT. It is basically a new game and it even feels like it. Personally, I am in love with new GoW. It has a better combat and a better story than the original trilogy. I would welcome more boss fight, though!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't played the new one just yet. Didn't want to grab it at launch because I was skeptical about it for a variety of reasons, though after hearing nothing but good things about it, I'm probably going to grab it. Only after I finish the single-player game I'm currently going through, Tales of Berseria, though.

(Honestly, one of the reasons I was skeptical is still there despite the praise. It feels to me like it's going to be very hard to make me sympathize with Kratos after the original trilogy. They were fun games and all, but I watched him go on a murderous rampage and not bat an eye at the fact that a side-effect of his god-killing was to basically cause the apocalypse. Pretty hard to go from that to someone I could actually care about on any level, and it sounds like the new game is going for that, so...)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    (Honestly, one of the reasons I was skeptical is still there despite the praise. It feels to me like it's going to be very hard to make me sympathize with Kratos after the original trilogy. They were fun games and all, but I watched him go on a murderous rampage and not bat an eye at the fact that a side-effect of his god-killing was to basically cause the apocalypse. Pretty hard to go from that to someone I could actually care about on any level, and it sounds like the new game is going for that, so...)
    Well they considered that when they wrote the story for the new one, it's definitely not like it exists in a vacuum

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like that one GoW game where Kratos is super angry and violent. You know that one - one as in singular.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

The new game is an emotional story about a man steeped in regret, who has a singular fear that the story he is making for himself now will end in same way his story has always ended. He is trying to be Better than he was, and he believes that he must bury his past or it will repeat itself.

I think I was at the right point as an edgy teen for the old God of Wars. I'm in a spot now where I can connect to the new one. Some of it is knowing at least ABOUT the old games, and contrasting old Kratos with Breathing Excercises Kratos, seeing him learn from his mistakes, both old and contemporary. But I think they go over His Past well enough as it comes up through the story that playing the old games is unnecessary.

@ Some Android: hah hah, so GoW 2, then. The original is a Tragedy that ends with Kratos in Sadness and Despair, and 3 spends a good chunk with Kratos starting to be a Dad to Pandora (and ends in Guilt and Despair and SpiteHope). 2 is the only one that's end to end Rage.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2018-06-02 at 11:54 PM.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Started playing the new one today. Pretty easy to see why people are liking it, it feels quite good right from the outset. Gameplay-wise I'm quite glad it's moved away from fights with massive numbers of enemies that are individually not at all threatening, which was always the weakest part of the originals' combat, to fights with smaller groups of foes. Gotta hand it to the sound design too, attacks in this game have some real impact, in no small part because of the sound. I do hope the boss fights are on average more like the Stranger fight and less like the Troll fights I've had thus far though - fights that boil down to "get the kid to distract the enemy so you can get a few swings in safely" feel kind of dull.

Story-wise... not entirely sure I buy that this is the same Kratos, really. Talk about your radical character transformations between games. But whatever I guess, it's not like the first three ever made me care about their story really, just the gameplay.

Did run into one point of confusion on that though...
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the Witch character you run into says that Kratos is a god? I thought his godhood was revoked at the start of 2 and he never became one again? Or did I just forget some point where he regained it? Though I suppose it would explain how he survived his attempt at suicide at the end of 3, at least.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Did run into one point of confusion on that though...
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, the Witch character you run into says that Kratos is a god? I thought his godhood was revoked at the start of 2 and he never became one again? Or did I just forget some point where he regained it? Though I suppose it would explain how he survived his attempt at suicide at the end of 3, at least.
    Spoiler: Minor Spoilers
    Show
    in one conversation Kratos says that despite living as a mortal he was 'born a god,' implying that Zeus being his father is enough for him to be a god, and other demigods and heroes with similar parentage would count as such. At that point you could see his appointment as God of War as more of a power-up, unlocking latent potential through his and others' acknowledgement of his status.

Unfortunately none of the boss fights really live up to the Stranger at the beginning, except maybe the nine optional side bosses, but those are kinda gear and reflex checks.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    @ Some Android: hah hah, so GoW 2, then. The original is a Tragedy that ends with Kratos in Sadness and Despair, and 3 spends a good chunk with Kratos starting to be a Dad to Pandora (and ends in Guilt and Despair and SpiteHope). 2 is the only one that's end to end Rage.
    I actually like the first game the best (though I've only ever played GoW 1 & 2). The sequel just seemed to nerf so much of the difficulty. I really preferred Rage of the Gods mechanic as opposed to Rage of the Titans in the sequel. I liked how there where a bunch of cheats you could activate to make things ridiculously easy, but I still love and respect the challenge of the very first game.

I also loved the recurring gag of that one Greek citizen who repeatedly gets metaphorically curb stomped by Kratos.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarforgedTank View Post
    Which do you like better? I'm absolutely in love with the new one. I personally started to get bored of the original trilogy about halfway through the 2nd game.
    Original God Of War > New God Of War > God Of War 2 > God Of War 3

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Minor Spoilers
    Show
    in one conversation Kratos says that despite living as a mortal he was 'born a god,' implying that Zeus being his father is enough for him to be a god, and other demigods and heroes with similar parentage would count as such. At that point you could see his appointment as God of War as more of a power-up, unlocking latent potential through his and others' acknowledgement of his status.
    Spoiler: So minor it's more a spoiler for the old games.
    Show
    Fair enough, I hadn't thought about his parentage as a reason they might consider him such since he's only half-god that way, but that could well be it.

Unfortunately none of the boss fights really live up to the Stranger at the beginning, except maybe the nine optional side bosses, but those are kinda gear and reflex checks.
    Well, that's a real shame, but I suppose optional side bosses are better than nothing.

In the meantime, I found a way to give myself a challenge anyway. On the lake area, ran into some kind of rift that popped out a couple of enemies that were obviously way tougher than I was supposed to be able to fight at this point. They could one-shot me, I couldn't even parry their attacks, and they could take quite a beating. I retried for like an hour until I was able to kill them anyway. Not a boss fight, but screw it, that was pretty satisfying.

I will say though that the RPG-like stats and item crafting is something I'm pretty iffy on here. I just don't feel those kind of things belong in an action game, they just get in the way and often become so much clutter/busywork. So far they seem restrained enough here that I'm not overly worried, but I kind of wish they weren't here at all nonetheless.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

I prefer trilogy, i love Kratos when he was younger. But i was shocked by appearance of Thor! I hope that the next game will come out soon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

It's only Original Trilogy for me

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by kevindean View Post
    But i was shocked by appearance of Thor!
    Chris Hemsworth is in this game?!?!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WarforgedTank View Post
    I like both honestly- though the originals are starting to show their age.