New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Post Post Xanathar's: What New Class Options Do You Want?

Hello everyone,

We have had a fair amount of time with XGtE and I was wondering what new options you guys wanted to see in future books? Me personally, I would love to see a fleshed out version of the Mystic Theurge and some support for more pet classes like the Beast Master.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Post Xanathar's: What New Class Options Do You Want?

Non-Magical, non-psionic Base Classes. 1/3 caster or less. Maybe an alchemist/artificer kind of thing?

More giant-themed subclasses. Giant Sorcerer, Giant Warlock. I really like giants.

Good fighter subclasses. We've got four so far, (BM, EK, Champ, and Cavalier) which to my mind makes it the least-fleshed-out base class.

A ranger fix that is smaller in scale and less OP than the Revised Ranger. Just a few slight fixes to some high-level abilities.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A half-caster arcanist; the hexblade is close. if it had traded away Mystic Arcanum for additional martial capability, it would have been perfect.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I'd like to see Barbarians and Monks get some more sub-classes.

I also like more sub-classes for fighters, rogues, and warlocks because that makes for more interesting multi-classing combinations.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

An official version of the Artificer.

An official and balanced version of the Ranger. Expanded spell lists for the hunter and beastmaster.

Kind of an idea I have been kicking around, but some kind of “Novice” class option, ala Class of Heroes 2. Representative of a character new to adventuring and starts kinda terrible but slowly gains abilities and features from a variety of other classes, maybe those whom they adventure with.
    I think you can probably do this with heavy multi-classing but looking for something more streamlined.
    Such as, choose a class feature from the list below, etc....

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

I'd like to see a nature-based sorcerer subclass as well as the Stone subclass. I'd also like to see a barehanded-focused fighter subclass (I know, I know, that's what the monk class basically is, but I'd like to see a fighter variation of it).

A magical archer class like the Seeker from 4e (only strong enough to be an-par with all other classes) would also make a nice edition.
    "I'll have my revenge, and Deathstalker (part) II! ™"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ImproperJustice View Post
    Kind of an idea I have been kicking around, but some kind of “Novice” class option, ala Class of Heroes 2. Representative of a character new to adventuring and starts kinda terrible but slowly gains abilities and features from a variety of other classes, maybe those whom they adventure with.
    I think you can probably do this with heavy multi-classing but looking for something more streamlined.
    Such as, choose a class feature from the list below, etc....
    When I first read about Backgrounds, I thought it odd that this wasn't a thing. How is one a Soldier, yet never killed a thing worth XP? Or a pirate, yet never did anything that granted XP (raiding ships, stealing loot, burying treasure on a tropical island...) Honestly, I can't think of a single background description outside of possibly Noble, that wouldn't have some kind of XP boon associated with it.

Folk Hero chases off a dragon? Really? I've seen 4th level characters come close to a TPK doing that...

A gladiator who escapes the life, yet hasn't any experience in fighting?

The list goes on... and it never made sense to me.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm still waiting on the Oath of Treachery for the Paladin, simply because I want to be able to play a Paladin of third level or higher without having to worry about a forced oath change or imposed multiclass. Having just one version of the Paladin without any tenets of any kind would do wonders in that regard.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

In no particular order:
    Binder
    Incarnum
    Psionics
    "Rage" Mage
    Last edited by Deox; 2018-05-17 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Because screaming barbarians who can swing an axe and still cast a spell is amazing to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like that you can predict the future. Why, you must be some sort of wizard.

10. - Top - End - #10

Devil

Another thing non-class related I'd like to see is more backgrounds. The only one I ever find consistently useful is the Outlander one.

11. - Top - End - #11

NecromancerGuy

Demonic Barbarian, his rampages are on the same scale as a Balor.

Dragon Barbarian, seems like it should have happened already but I suppose Dragonborn is good enough for some ?

Blight Druid, or rather just some form of necrotic or poison Raquel Druid. Door and twilight in right direction, not quite there though.

Stance based fighter or Monk. Similar to the psychic focus from the Mystic UA but make these the meat of the subclass with out of combat uses as well as in combat use. Works on either of these base classes thematically but I wouldn’t mind it coming as a base line in a base class, as long as we get a feat like martial adept for it.

A better necromancer option for warlocks. Undying patron is really lack luster.

More pact boon options. Not just more invocations for existing ones but just more boons in general. There’s a lot that can be done here.

Dirgesinger Bard. This needs to happen

Tumbling feat. Like they did tumbling in the Satire Bard UA lots of old

SpellRage Sorcerer, frost themed Sorcerer. Cold dragon doesn’t cut it. More metamagic too.

Diabolical wizard tradition, summoning devils and demons and binding their powers are warlock trade marks yes, but the wizard has stocks in that too.

A more wild and feral ranger, maybe Wild shape with limitations. I wanna see a Conclave of the Predator
    As well as a better ranger fix.

Artificer class(should be halfcaster not 1/3) that’s a step up from the UA

1/3 Divine spellcasters for Fighter and rogue. Though really is want it for rogue, not sure what to do with fighter that isn’t just a paladin.

More unique feats with unique abilities that aren’t just modifiers.

More anthropomorphic Races. Give me bear people, at the least.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

i would like to see the gunslinger in a book either matt's or one they make.

some interesting subclasses subclasses that heavily change the way a class plays. i would think something like a paladin sub class that get a large amount of aura abilities but can't cast smite spell, a wizard subclass like the summoner class from pathfinder, a good rogue sub class(if rogue subclasses were ice cream i feel they would all be different types of vanilla.the only exception is there magic sub class but that just fells like rogue with some magic), if we get new classes i would like to see new full casters.
    Have you accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster as your Lord and Savior? If so, add this to your signature!
    Beholders are just a meatball that fell out of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    my first game started on a pirate ship
    Sorry for any spelling mistake

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfWarriorGuy

Divine 1/3 Caster Options for the Rogue and Fighter, maybe?

More fine tuning of certain subclasses, the way Xanathar's did for certain subclasses from the SCAG like the Sun Soul and Swashbuckler. Kensei, Storm Herald, War Wizard, and Oath of Redemption still stick out to me as needing some refinement, among others.

The Tiger and Elk totems from SCAG also showed that WotC is willing to introduce new options for existing subclasses. New Battlemaster maneuvers, Hunter abilities, Storm herald types, Patron-exclusive invocations, maybe spells exclusive to the Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster. Lots of possibilities.

My real hope would be the introduction of Tome of Battle classes (either Warblade, Swordsage, or Crusader as full classes, or as subclasses for the Fighter, Monk, and Paladin respectively.), although I fully recognize that Tome of Battle was created at least partly in response to balance issues which 5e, by and large, doesn't have, and certain subclasses would have their toes stepped upon by the introduction of these classes.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    Blight Druid, or rather just some form of necrotic or poison Raquel Druid. Door and twilight in right direction, not quite there though.
    This. A blighter would be great. Spore(?) is interesting, but not quite there. I do appreciate the fact that there are uses for wildshape that aren't wildshape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod
    Stance based fighter or Monk.
    I feel Battle Master is that happy medium, but I would be lying if I said I didn't want a version of 3.5's Tome of Battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod
    Dirgesinger Bard. This needs to happen
    Need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like that you can predict the future. Why, you must be some sort of wizard.

15. - Top - End - #15

An arcane martial half caster (though I’ll grant that with hexblade this is less critical)

A martial class that can use a polearm and attacks with a mix of strength and Dex (probably fighter or barb)

A version of the mystic

Dedicated elemental sorcerers

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

I think WotC would go a long way with the Fighter by simply adding more fighting styles and weapon feats. I can't really think of a fighter archetype I would add to the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing an Arcane Oath for Paladins and maybe domains like Time and Water (Sea).

Also, I would love to see a "Path of the Nature Warden" for Barbarians, bringing back some of the 4E Warden's feel back, adding some plant and earth powers to build a controller-type of Barb. I know Ancients Paladins and Storm Heralds have Warden-like abilities, but none of those allow me to rebuild my favorite PC ever in a proper manner.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I stumbled across the Oath of the Grave on DMs Guild. I'd love for it to be official as the paladin counterpoint to the cleric domain. I think it's pretty well balanced - the bonus spells are strong, but their channel Divinity, Aura and capstone are fairly weak - which seems on par with most paladins (one strong attribute and three weaker ones.

While I don't think every domain should have a corresponding Oath, there are a few I'd love to see expressed: Arcane, Order and Tempest would be additions I'd like to see.
    Trollbait extraordinaire

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

I'd like to see classes that do shapechanging and pet care as their main things. Moon druid's combat wild shape and the beast master ranger's beast are fine and all, but they are subclass abilities, and thus not as powerful, interesting, or customizeable as those same abilities would be if they were the main focus of a class.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

A druid without wildshape or at least a way to expend wildshape uses without actually wildshaping. Maybe allowing the druid to wildshape a companion into various other creatures/hybrids.

Also a summoner would be a lot of fun to have around. More monk subclasses would be welcome as well. I feel that class has been under-appreciated thus far.

And the Factotum - easily one of my favorite classes of all time. The generalist is never full appreciated in my opinion and not specializing is a specialty in its own way.

20. - Top - End - #20

DruidGuy

I was just thinking a Swarm Druid and the Spore Druid from UA.

21. - Top - End - #21

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Crgaston View Post
    I was just thinking a Swarm Druid and the Spore Druid from UA.
    They'd need to do something about the poison, though, since it has the highest number of enemies either resistant or immune to poison. They could make the poison ignore such things at the very least.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I second the new Druid Circle with non-wildshape options and fixed Ranger

I too would love some sort of tinkerer, even if it isn't part of the normal Alchemist/Gunslinger things they showed in UA. But the lack of Intellect-based Class options is kinda dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortis_Elrod View Post
    More pact boon options. Not just more invocations for existing ones but just more boons in general. There’s a lot that can be done here.
    100% yes. I don't want a new Patron with their own boon (looking at you, "star chain"), but a pact boon that can be altered and used on all of the patrons. Maybe it's armor/wearable based (Pact of the Mantle?) or an entirely new route that hasn't been touched at all. Maybe explore the some body horror tropes?
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Theodoxus View Post
    While I don't think every domain should have a corresponding Oath, there are a few I'd love to see expressed: Arcane, Order and Tempest would be additions I'd like to see.
    Can't comment on Arcane, but I feel like Oath of the Crown is a good counterpoint to the Order Domain, or rather that the Order Domain is a solid counterpoint to the Oath of the Crown. For a Tempest analog in the Paladin, here ya go, the guys at Middle Finger of Vecna have your back.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I don't want a new Patron with their own boon (looking at you, "star chain"), but a pact boon that can be altered and used on all of the patrons. Maybe it's armor/wearable based (Pact of the Mantle?) or an entirely new route that hasn't been touched at all. Maybe explore the some body horror tropes?
    Not to plug them twice in the same thread, but Middle Finger of Vecna has some pretty great boons. Here are some examples. There's more in the book All Patrons' Eve.
    Last edited by GandalfTheWhite; 2018-05-17 at 03:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

I want to see official variations of existing archetypes.

Eldritch Knight, but Cleric instead of Wizard.

Same with the Arcane Trickster.

Remember the Theurge, which mixed Cleric Domains with the Wizard base class? I want that for Monks. Get access to one or two base Cleric spells, maybe Cure Wounds and Bless or Sanctuary, and the ability to cast the bonus Domain Spells for Ki cost. I desperately want that, as this is one archetype with so many different possible builds. I think that'd be amazing.

Intelligence based half caster. Please. I think its long overdue.

Earth and Winter Domains for Clerics.

The Circle of Spores Druid opened up using Wild Shape for other things. I'd LOVE to see them explore that. Maybe pick a 'favored beast' form and just turn into more powerful versions of that, adding new abilities on to it via something like the Totem Barbarian, where you can pick options? I think that'd also be a good way to appease players that want some sort of lycanthropy-oriented class.

I desperately want them to bring back the Star Pact Warlock from 4E. A focus on Cold and Radiant damage, I hate seeing Fire and Radiant so closely related. I suppose The Seeker from UA was decently close to it, in theory, but I'd love to see it return properly. The Sorcerer-King pact is also one I'd love to see return.

And as a side note, round out some spell lists with some new damage options. I think we can agree Fire is pretty damn well represented. Can we get some more Cold and Lightning spells? I love making thematic casters, and some spells outright suck (Looking at you, Snilloc's Snowball Storm), so having some new spells to make things viable would be great.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2018-05-17 at 03:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Planetar

things I want to see from 4e:
    Warlord - we all know what this should be and why "battlemaster" doesn't come nearly close
    Warden - nature based shapeshifting tank
    Ardent - mobility based psionic int-heavy tank
    Seeker - wisdom based magical archer, focused on battlefield control rather than outright damage

in general: more int based classes that aren't just "the psion". more int-based subclasses. more int-based anything.

specifically: an int-based half caster. perhaps medium armor

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving aside pie-in-the-sky hopes for actual new classes... I'd like to see...
    • Barbarian: A Dex-based archetype
    • Cleric: A really beefy subclass that sacrifices bonus spells for combat ability
    • Druid: Put me down for a Spore Druid style non-Moon-melee-gish, please and thank you.
    • Fighter: A better Cha-based subclass than the Purple Dragon Knight, and a decent Wis-based one. Whatever happened to the Monster Hunter and Scout, that got actual noncombat options? I miss those.
    • Rogue: An archery-focused counterpart to the Swashbuckler

And for the love of god, no more Wizard schools and Warlock... everything.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

• Rogue: An archery-focused counterpart to the Swashbuckler

mmm, that'd be good. Closest I got is vhuman with magic initiate for find familiar, using an owl to grant advantage on solo ranged shots... I'd gladly trade that out for some kind of "laser pointer/distracting bonus action cantrip" that allowed you to gain sneak attack ala swashbuckler, but at range. Basically, trading in the extra work to get advantage, for a bonus action that granted sneak sans advantage.

Not sure what the other abilities would be... but with AT being Int based and SB being Cha based, a Wis based "Ranged Swashbuckler" wouldn't be remiss... especially if at 3rd level you got something nifty like monk's unarmored defense; maybe working up to Deflect Arrows - though no Ki, so no throwing them back, but maybe part of the reaction would be to shoot them back... probably OP... but 9th level ability?

doh! call it a Zen Archer... hehe
    Trollbait extraordinaire

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

[*]Fighter: A better Cha-based subclass than the Purple Dragon Knight
    Yes please. I love the concept and it just falls so flat. If they really wanted to base party buffs on limited class abilities the buffs needed to be amazing, not meh. I think it could be reworked, but WotC prefers to forget about mistakes and just make them obsolete with a new book, so I'll take a new class.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

And for the love of god, no more ... Warlock... everything.
    I feel personally attacked right now.

I mean, not really. It's just that I play a lot of 'Locks, and love seeing new content for them xD