New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default My experience of losing weight

Hello! My name is Charly! Now my weight is 70 kilograms, and 2 years ago my weight was 93. I smoked and drank beer almost every day. And then my mom moved with her cats. But it turned out that I have an alegre for wool of cats. I began to walk in the evening in the park, I bought special sneakers for walking with a rounded sole. I bought a new vacuum cleaner. I do not even imagine how people lived without home appliances that make life easier. By the way, losing weight was not my goal. Everything turned out by itself, thanks to mom and cats.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: My experience of losing weight

Nice! Walking is great, low impact and high benefit over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Nice! Walking is great, low impact and high benefit over time.
    Over a LOT of time. I prefer jogging unless there's somewhere to walk to.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    Over a LOT of time. I prefer jogging unless there's somewhere to walk to.
    Or somewhere to walk through. I would cheerfully walk every day if there were a woods or mountain trail available.

[Philmont Ranger, 1975, 1976]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

That is inspirational. I wish I had the same momentum. Im not that bulky, Im just 65 kgs but i have a very bad belly coming out. I hope to reduce it by walking

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Or somewhere to walk through. I would cheerfully walk every day if there were a woods or mountain trail available.

[Philmont Ranger, 1975, 1976]
    There's a reason that I break out the bike instead of walking for anything further than a quarter mile or so, but am also totally on board with all day hikes in the mountains. Particularly when it's the mountainous woods, and you get the sort of spectacular alpine forest views you get when 10,000' to 14,000' and change mountains are basically everywhere.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

If anyone is looking for a super friendly, approachable, and customizable workout series that can be done at home, with little or no equipment, I take every chance I can to talk up Fitness Blender. Exercise routines directed by normal people, for normal people.
    "...one may smile, and smile, and be a villain..."

JB: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
    LP: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not put upon this world to "get it"!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

That's great! Diet is a big, big part of it. I work out five days a week (which includes three days of resistance training and about 28 km of trail running) and I still can't lose this big belly, because I can't manage the same control over my diet as I do over my activity.

But if your diet is okay, and you increase physical activity, then that's great too!

I'm lucky that I can hit the gym on my lunch break, and my work is about 7km from my house. So I get all my exercise in before I'm done work for the day.

If anyone ever wants any help with bodyweight resistance training, feel free to message me. I'm overweight but I got mad skills.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

DrowGirl

Thanks for the inspiration! I'm in the same boat, I need to lose at least 15 lbs so I started attending the gym recently. I'm not a big fan of regular trainings but I just don't have choice. I'm planning to try butt lift without surgery procedure in NYC clinic also. I read many positive reviews and decided to give it a try. At least with its help I'll see the result faster.
    Last edited by candys; 2018-07-02 at 05:36 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I lost 9 kg for 3 months and continue to lose weight, and now. Proper nutrition and fitness.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Definetely don't do the seafood diet: I see food, I eat it.

I've started going to work by bike in order to get a better condition. Not really to lose weight (although I wouldn't say no to losing a couple of kilos). It's great since you don't have to go to the gym before or after work and you save on gas (which in Europe is a lot more expensive than in the US). And it only takes me about 15 minutes more than going by car (not counting the shower I have to take when I arrive, but I can take that instead of the morning shower at home of course).
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I think I'm a little healthier since I had my job at a hotel. When I was there, I had to carry heavy things up and down stairs quite a bit. Though in my case, I think I actually gained weight. Specifically, I think I put on muscle in my lower body. In any case I have a few pairs of jeans that feel too tight for me now.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    That's great! Diet is a big, big part of it. I work out five days a week (which includes three days of resistance training and about 28 km of trail running) and I still can't lose this big belly, because I can't manage the same control over my diet as I do over my activity.
    Cut the carbs, ruthlessly. Both glucose and fructose interfere with the hormone leptin. Leptin is release by your digestive track when it has enough food. It tells the brain to stop eating. But high levels of glucose and fructose interfere with it, so brain continuously thinks it's hungry. That means you continue to eat until your stomach starts to distend.

High levels of glucose cause high levels of insulin. This causes your cells to exclusively burn glucose, your liver to store it as glycogen, and your fat cells to store fat. You cannot lose weight if your fat cells are storing fat.

And high levels of fructose causes hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, insulin resistance, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. (It also makes you fat, see above.) Avoid it as much as possible.

The best diets are low-carb and high fibre.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

shawnhcorey is probably right, but it is hard...I can't actually cut out carbs, I love my potatoes too much. I did find that trying to add more and more veggies to my meals helped a lot. Myfitnesspal has ads and WILL try to upsell you, but it really does help to figure out portion size and realize how badly you are eating, if you are.

Also, consider getting an air filter or asking your mom to brush the cat, especially if they are longhaired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

15. - Top - End - #15

SamuraiGuy

After active lifestyle and work I finally became a desk jockey and started to get portly.

The only thing I did was to cut out sugar. A lot of crap that is supposed to be healthy is where they cut out fat and put in sugar.

I lost 60 ponds (30 kg) without lifting a finger, just by cutting out sugared drinks and other products that are stuffed with sucrose and fructose.

This just required a little bit of research.

Or like one guy put it. Eat food, mostly plant, not too much.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shawnhcorey View Post
    Cut the carbs, ruthlessly. Both glucose and fructose interfere with the hormone leptin. Leptin is release by your digestive track when it has enough food. It tells the brain to stop eating. But high levels of glucose and fructose interfere with it, so brain continuously thinks it's hungry. That means you continue to eat until your stomach starts to distend.

High levels of glucose cause high levels of insulin. This causes your cells to exclusively burn glucose, your liver to store it as glycogen, and your fat cells to store fat. You cannot lose weight if your fat cells are storing fat.

And high levels of fructose causes hypertension, cardiovascular diseases, insulin resistance, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. (It also makes you fat, see above.) Avoid it as much as possible.

The best diets are low-carb and high fibre.
    That depends entirely on your gut bacteria, genetics and general goals.

When I was cutting, I could not cut out carbs without becoming physically ill and unable to workout effectively. I had to be cautious about my reductions in order to maintain a reasonable degree of control over my energy levels and what-not.

Certainly, if you are engaged in any kind of physical job or athletics, cutting carbs drastically is liable to cause you a lot of issues.
    My Avatar is Glimtwizzle, a Gnomish Fighter/Illusionist by Cuthalion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    That depends entirely on your gut bacteria, genetics and general goals.

When I was cutting, I could not cut out carbs without becoming physically ill and unable to workout effectively. I had to be cautious about my reductions in order to maintain a reasonable degree of control over my energy levels and what-not.

Certainly, if you are engaged in any kind of physical job or athletics, cutting carbs drastically is liable to cause you a lot of issues.
    Yeah, I agree in that, it can give great results, but also, be careful with it. My best mate was doing this recently to support his flatmate who was doing a similar diet. Ended up going back to his normal (decent) diet after what he says was him passing out, but sounded like a fit the way he described it.

So yeah, be careful, and when in doubt, reduce things slowly.
    Punting, champagne and suits. Ah, the joys of being a Squashman and Anglo-Saxophonist.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stadge View Post
    Yeah, I agree in that, it can give great results, but also, be careful with it. My best mate was doing this recently to support his flatmate who was doing a similar diet. Ended up going back to his normal (decent) diet after what he says was him passing out, but sounded like a fit the way he described it.

So yeah, be careful, and when in doubt, reduce things slowly.
    Third-ing this approach. A human body is designed to utilise carbohydrates as its primary fuel source, so be very careful about sudden drastic changes in reducing intake.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Third-ing this approach. A human body is designed to utilise carbohydrates as its primary fuel source, so be very careful about sudden drastic changes in reducing intake.
    No, it evolved to eliminate glucose from the blood stream as fast as possible because bacteria feed on it. Eliminating the food source helps reduce infections.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

I personally don't think I could live happily reducing carbohydrates. I am used to eat bread to dilute other things that would be too acid, too sweet, or too hard to digest comfortably on their own. And bread has the bonus of being mostly safe to eat, since I often have to eat in places where old food is reused. Stuff with meat and vegetables might easily become acid or go bad, or feel good and turn out bad on you later, but bread simply becomes a bit harder. So, if I don't trust anything else on the table, I just eat some bread, and wait for the evening or the next day for my vitamin/protein/fibre intake.

Something that I haven't seen here is cutting alcohol. I am now unexpectedly losing weight, and the only reason I can think is that I haven't had alcohol for a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

No, it evolved to eliminate glucose from the blood stream as fast as possible because bacteria feed on it. Eliminating the food source helps reduce infections.
    We're talking about two different things. I'm talking about the biomechanics of digestion, you're talking about the evolutionary development of blood glucose level control.

The body burns carbohydrates, specifically glucose, via glycolysis, the Kreb's cycle and oxidative phosphorylation. The simplest way to get glucose into the system is to eat carbohydrates - it's why we have amylase in our saliva.

There's extra finagling involved to process amino acids and fats into usable inputs (either pyruvate or acetyl Co-A) for the Kreb's cycle - in fact this extra finagling is why ketogenic diets cause you to lose weight as the increased energy cost of digestion coupled with the increased satiety from eating a protein/fat rich diet helps you to intake less calories overall.

Glycolysis is so old that even Archaea have it and they can't be infected by bacteria as they're single cell organisms.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-07-16 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Misunderstood the point trying to be made

22. - Top - End - #22

We're talking about two different things. I'm talking about the biomechanics of digestion, you're talking about the evolutionary development of blood glucose level control.
    No, you stated that carbs is the primary food source. It is not. You can survive without any carbs. You cannot survive without essential amino acids and essential oils.

Other have complain that cutting carbs made them feel sick and weak. No wonder. They cut the carbs without replacing the calories. They feel sick and weak because they are starving. Eat more vegetables, fat, and oils.

And eat more fibre. There is much confusion about what is the paleo-diet but one thing everyone agrees on is that it had a lot more fibre than the current Western diet, 7 to 8 times the amount of fibre.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

No, you stated that carbs is the primary food source. It is not. You can survive without any carbs. You cannot survive without essential amino acids and essential oils.
    Long term major loss or reduction of carbohydrates in the diet results in ketosis and eventually ketoacidosis, which is fatal. The fact that no carbohydrates in your diet causes ketosis and not the other way round shows that carbohydrates are preferentially burnt. Essential amino acids are also required for muscle repair, not for energy usage.

You NEED carbohydrates in your diet. You can get by with a reduced amount for a time. The exact limits of a 'reduced amount' and 'time' varies from person to person.

As an example of the energy efficiency involved, protein costs 20-30% of the ingested calories to process, while carbohydrates costs 5-10% and fat are between 0-3%. Given the delay in mobilising fat for energy and the larger energy losses involved in proteins, carbohydrates are the only food group left. This is exemplified by carbohydrate loading in endurance athletes - if the body burnt fat as its primary food supply, then eating lard would be more efficient; similarly if it preferentially burnt protein then eating meat/protein shakes would be more efficient.

Other have complain that cutting carbs made them feel sick and weak. No wonder. They cut the carbs without replacing the calories. They feel sick and weak because they are starving. Eat more vegetables, fat, and oils.
    You are aware that all vegetables contain starch, which is a carbohydrate? And skeletal muscle normally used for meat contains glycogen, which again is a carbohydrate?

Even on strict keto diets, the restriction is less than 20-100g of carbohydrates, not zero carbohydrates. I know Crow is extremely knowledgeable in this field, so he most certainly would have known how many calories he was consuming and of what type.

I think the confusion is that you're using the layman's definition of carbs while I'm using the scientific terminology.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-07-16 at 11:45 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Long term major loss or reduction of carbohydrates in the diet results in ketosis and eventually ketoacidosis, which is fatal.
    Ketoacidosis is an extremely rare form of diabetes which cannot be induced by ketosis. https://www.healthline.com/health/ke...s-ketoacidosis

You are aware that all vegetables contain starch, which is a carbohydrate? And skeletal muscle normally used for meat contains glycogen, which again is a carbohydrate?
    Vegetables contain many carbs, mostly complex carbs. Fruits and berries contains more simple carbs, which is why they're sweet. Meat contains some glycogen and more complex carbs but little compared to vegetables.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Ketoacidosis is an extremely rare form of diabetes which cannot be induced by ketosis. https://www.healthline.com/health/ke...s-ketoacidosis
    Sorry, I meant starvation ketoacidosis, not diabetic ketoacidosis, but I agree that it's irrelevant to the point since you're still consuming calories. That said, there's a great deal of debate over whether long term ketosis is healthy for you; certain native peoples (the Inuit for example) supposedly lived in a state of ketosis, but some were only in ketosis seasonally, trading for seaweed and other plants from other tribes.

Nevertheless, you didn't refute the point that ketosis only occurs with low carbohydrate intake, indicating that carbohydrates are preferentially burnt over protein and fat.

Vegetables contain many carbs, mostly complex carbs. Fruits and berries contains more simple carbs, which is why they're sweet. Meat contains some glycogen and more complex carbs but little compared to vegetables.
    'Complex carbs' just means it takes more effort to digest and extract out of plant matter, you're still eating carbohydrates. That puts a big hole in your supposition that you can live without 'carbs'.

I'm not aware of any other 'complex carbs' other than glycogen in meat.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2018-07-16 at 03:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

You can probably survive without carbs, but we did evolve to shove tubers into our mouths and might be why humans are the only species with menopause.

Through I imagine the diet of the person before attempting weight loss might be important. Some people like rich foods smothered in butter, others need to cut out the sugars. I haven't done research on the topic, but I imagine old habits are going to be a big factor simply due to habits making or breaking a diet.

Personally, I just can't do keto because that would mean not having my milk in my tea and we can't have that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Through I imagine the diet of the person before attempting weight loss might be important. Some people like rich foods smothered in butter, others need to cut out the sugars. I haven't done research on the topic, but I imagine old habits are going to be a big factor simply due to habits making or breaking a diet.
    The best diet is the one you can stick to.

28. - Top - End - #28

SamuraiGuy

The best diet is the one you can stick to.
    I get what you mean but I say you should never use a "die"t, the implication now is that it's something temporary that you use to lose weight and then go back to your old ways when you have achieved your goal.

Luckily for me I knew enough from quitting smoking that it takes time to change habits and routines and failing is part of that process.

So the best way to lose weight is to change your lifestyle, and change your habits, make conscious choices and reflect on what you are doing.
    Optimizing vs Roleplay
    If the worlds greatest optimizer makes a character and hands it to the worlds greatest roleplayer who roleplays the character. What will happen? Will the Universe implode?

Roleplaying vs Fun
    If roleplaying is no fun then stop doing it. Unless of course you are roleplaying at gunpoint then you should roleplay like your life depended on it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I'm not aware of any other 'complex carbs' other than glycogen in meat.
    Starch is a complex sugar, so is cellulose (we don't digest it, so for us it's fibre, but most herbivores do), there's also lignin in trees, almost nothing (some fungi?) digests that, chitin is a complex sugar, I don't know whether we digest that, I suspect not, or not much.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RazorChain View Post
    I get what you mean but I say you should never use a "die"t, the implication now is that it's something temporary that you use to lose weight and then go back to your old ways when you have achieved your goal.
    Exactly this, it has to be a whole lifestyle change in order for the change to remain permanent. Congrats on shedding the pounds (or kilos lol).
    We came to wreck everything, and ruin your life.....God sent us.