Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Annoying Fantasy Clichés II: We're gonna need more Trope

See, my question to such things is how much can convergent evolution work for this.

A lot of animals have organs that work the same as humans, and many of them are in the same relative places. Humans aren't perfect; we have vestigal features and I could talk about boobs for a bit, but our evolution is pretty logical and an advanced sentient race would surely follow at least a good portion of the same logic.

Really, I think some people try too hard to avoid the "humans with makeup" shtick. In doing so they might ignore the practicalities of form entirely or just use a single superficial reason to justify one of a dozen things. Halo does well, Mass Effect had a lot of very questionable aliens, not helping that a few of them were Humans with makeup.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Something that was sparked by the hours of driving I've been doing recently, through heavily wooded areas--

All those depictions of "untouched" forests with tons of room between the trees, long sight lines, no underbrush, etc.

From what I can tell, forests that are left to their own devices tend to grow plants to catch every single possible photon. That means layers of canopies, trees real close together, underbrush, the whole bit. So much so that you might get 10 feet of clear vision before there's something in your path. I can't imagine that clearing a trail through those is much fun at all.

For game purposes, they'd probably be impassable (or at best very slow going), unless you find a game trail or are walking along a stream-bank.

There are pockets of meadow-land, but the forests (at least in the south US, mostly KY, TN, and GA) are really stinking dense.

I'd never really thought about it before. Gonna have to change that one in games I run from now on.
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    Thematic Spell-List Overhaul: Bringing meaning and specialization to spell-casters for 5e.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 533 MM and Volo's monsters

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Something that was sparked by the hours of driving I've been doing recently, through heavily wooded areas--

All those depictions of "untouched" forests with tons of room between the trees, long sight lines, no underbrush, etc.

From what I can tell, forests that are left to their own devices tend to grow plants to catch every single possible photon. That means layers of canopies, trees real close together, underbrush, the whole bit. So much so that you might get 10 feet of clear vision before there's something in your path. I can't imagine that clearing a trail through those is much fun at all.

For game purposes, they'd probably be impassable (or at best very slow going), unless you find a game trail or are walking along a stream-bank.

There are pockets of meadow-land, but the forests (at least in the south US, mostly KY, TN, and GA) are really stinking dense.

I'd never really thought about it before. Gonna have to change that one in games I run from now on.
    I know in 5e forests are difficult terrain. Halves move speed and overland travel. But yeah, most fantasy seems to imagine forests as fairly open spaces with a tree every 5-10 feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    I have a homebrew: A couple Generic Classes (Now with a new Feat and ACF!)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Those strereotypical open forests of England and other parts of Europe weren't untouched natural woodlands, they'd been managed and maintained with clear ground by the locals for millennia in some cases, the better to access trees for harvest, the better to see game for hunting, etc.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

Planet Mercenary RPG Discussion

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Forests come in different types, and plants are competitive. In some forests, trees really do hog all the light so any underbrush can't really compete. The trees are tall, their bushes very thick, light doesn't really reach the surface.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Jack View Post
    See, my question to such things is how much can convergent evolution work for this.

A lot of animals have organs that work the same as humans, and many of them are in the same relative places. Humans aren't perfect; we have vestigal features and I could talk about boobs for a bit, but our evolution is pretty logical and an advanced sentient race would surely follow at least a good portion of the same logic.

Really, I think some people try too hard to avoid the "humans with makeup" shtick. In doing so they might ignore the practicalities of form entirely or just use a single superficial reason to justify one of a dozen things. Halo does well, Mass Effect had a lot of very questionable aliens, not helping that a few of them were Humans with makeup.
    Yeah, but most of the animals you're familiar with are all descended from the same primordial tetrapod. The differen't races in D&D and similar fantasy, on the other hand, generally aren't even all created by the same god.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I do not like mana or any concept of it. I will tolerate it in video games if the game itself is good, but if it used as a storytelling device it will annoy me. It almost completely demystifies magic and reminds me way too much of midichlorians.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Mana is much better when it's an area quality rather than a personal quality, so when it's low nobody can cast spells.

I have also got to admit I like it in tabletop games. But it should be low, able to be tapped out by a few spells. My current game gives mages ~10 points of mana at first level, sets the minimum cost for a spell at 2 mana, and gives a handful of mana per level. Because it represents your ability to cast without getting tired, cast beyond your limits and you'll rack up one level of exhaustion per point of mana (equivalent to being in combat). Do you really need to cast 'unstick gem'? I don't like the D&D model where you end up with hundreds of SP and low level spells cost under ten.
    Snazzy avatar by Honest Tiefling.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I don't mind more scientific magic, though I usually want to flip my **** at very gamey magic, with buffs like skyrim's "+15% one handed damage"
    Dudes, just increase strength or give me power of some sort. No need to be so arbitrarily specific.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't mind more scientific magic, though I usually want to flip my **** at very gamey magic, with buffs like skyrim's "+15% one handed damage"

Dudes, just increase strength or give me power of some sort. No need to be so arbitrarily specific.
    Agreed -- magic (and some other things) designed around the game mechanics just knifes any sense that it's magic in the gut.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

Planet Mercenary RPG Discussion

11. - Top - End - #161
    Halfling in the Playground

The villain killing a beloved character or showing off his fancy new artifact to the heroes, and the heroes don't , or aren't allowed to, do anything about it, like attack the villain from behind or steal the plot artifact from their hands.
    Spoiler: Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    If you or a loved one suffer from CBD, Cynnirjetyxcks may be right for you. Cynnirjetyxcks is a once per long rest medication proven to lessen, or even completely negate, the symptoms of CBD. With Cynnirjetyxcks, you no longer have to feel the urge to suddenly Sneak Attack your close friends.
    Side effects of Cynnirjetyxcks include (Long ass list)
    Talk to your Cleric about Cynnirjetyxcks, because tomorrow there can be hope. Hope for a world without self-inflicted TPKs.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Forests come in different types, and plants are competitive. In some forests, trees really do hog all the light so any underbrush can't really compete. The trees are tall, their bushes very thick, light doesn't really reach the surface.
    I believe that's how the Black Forest got its name - the trees are so dense, it's always dark at ground level.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

13. - Top - End - #163

Forests grow in stages. An "Old growth" forest will be quite different from one that is just starting to regrow after a massive fire.

Fighting a forest fire might be an interesting challenge for a PC party, depending on their level and what nearby resources are available.
    The most important thing in being an adult is learning exactly what to give a <expletive> about, and exactly how many of those to give.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ Pork View Post
    Forests grow in stages. An "Old growth" forest will be quite different from one that is just starting to regrow after a massive fire.
    Nope.

Or rather, yes, there are forests like that. Most of northern and eastern Europe, north America, at least parts of Asia and every rainforest ever aren't like that at all when left to their own devices (industrial humans change everything).

Forest fires are made much more devastating by human activity. Every patch of forest in temperate climte used to burn something like once a century. But now we put out most fires before they become anything, which results in a build up of burnable materiel. And eventually, a fire burns rapidly enough to become unfightable. That superlarge fire is also super hot which kills the threes - see, many species are fully capable of surviving "normal" fires once they're fully grown. There was a red pine in the mountains fairly close to me that fell in a storm a decade ago. It turned out the damn tree was from the 16th century and had survived 7 forest fires.

Some forests, like red pine forests atop dry mountainous hills, naturally grow in cohorts - every tree is roughly the same age. Eventually, all trees dies in a short period of time, but it's more likely to be a storm than a fire (at least for red pines).

Most forests (in the areas I mentioned) will contain trees of different ages (and often species). When a tree dies, of disease, age, storm or fire, you get a clearing where new (or fairly old, but stunted and small by lack of sunlight) trees compete to fill its place.

One thing to keep in mind is the effect large herbivores; bison, elephants and the like, have on forest. They keep forests much, much more sparse than forests without them. Yellowstone was a wall of dense trees before bison was reintroduced, elephants in rainforests create and maintain huge clearings for themself. Domesticated cattle have a similar effect (but then, you usually also get humans gathering firewood and felling trees for construction and coal, so the two types of forests develop similarly but not identically).

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Blymurkla View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the effect large herbivores; bison, elephants and the like, have on forest. They keep forests much, much more sparse than forests without them. Yellowstone was a wall of dense trees before bison was reintroduced, elephants in rainforests create and maintain huge clearings for themself. Domesticated cattle have a similar effect (but then, you usually also get humans gathering firewood and felling trees for construction and coal, so the two types of forests develop similarly but not identically).
    The other thing to keep mind is climate. Forests in northern California mountains are dominated by giant redwoods that were saplings when Brutus murdered Caesar, but it also has relatively little rain compared to other areas of the world so massive trees capture the vast majority of the water before smaller plants can get any. This is very different and drier climate than you would find in say the Amazon basin, which really can have ground level be so dense a person couldn't see more than half dozen meters in front of them at best. South-east Asia and the Indian sub-continent can be similarly dense. You wouldn't think that bull elephant could hide in a forest but you would be wrong, forests can be so dense that something as big as a house hiding just by standing still is absolutely something that happens.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    What if, hypothetically, somebody lives in perfect total seclusion? With no living beings around to harm nothing is evil
    They would soon turn to suicide due to a complete perfect lack of something to do
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Agreed. Every cemetery wants to be a dungeon when it grows up.
    here is a list of my homebrews thus far:
    [PF] WitchHunter

"When you teach them-teach them not to fear. Fear is good in small amounts, but when it is a constant, pounding companion, it cuts away at who you are and makes it hard to do what you know is right."

"It's impossible to go through life unscathed. Nor should you want to. By the hurts we accumulate, we measure both our follies and our accomplishments."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Another thing I really hate, specifically aimed at books.

When I read the description of a novel, or the novel itself, and don't encounter anything I wouldn't find in the D&D player's handbook (with an exception given to licenced novels, which have an excuse).

When did fantasy become so samey? I've almost entirely ditched the high fantasy genre because of it. I mean the last fantasy book I read, published something like six years ago, included a kung fu dude, a guy who could talk to cars, and a movie wizard. Now that's infinitely more cool than clerics and half elves and evil demons.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    When did fantasy become so samey? I've almost entirely ditched the high fantasy genre because of it. I mean the last fantasy book I read, published something like six years ago, included a kung fu dude, a guy who could talk to cars, and a movie wizard. Now that's infinitely more cool than clerics and half elves and evil demons.
    Dresden Files good sir, Dresden Files.

19. - Top - End - #169

Another thing I really hate, specifically aimed at books.

When I read the description of a novel, or the novel itself, and don't encounter anything I wouldn't find in the D&D player's handbook (with an exception given to licenced novels, which have an excuse).

I mean, I don't want to write "but that's just like, your opinion man" but... I dunno, a lot of samey, crappy fantasy books do get published. But a lot of wholly original tales are also awful. I'd rather see familiar tropes in the hands of a skilled writer than original concepts written by a hack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    I have a homebrew: A couple Generic Classes (Now with a new Feat and ACF!)

20. - Top - End - #170
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I mean, just stop reading the ones that seem d&d inspired. I agree with you, in that it’s a little bit of an overused idea, but how is your example of a good one different from a d&d party?
    [PF] WitchHunter

"When you teach them-teach them not to fear. Fear is good in small amounts, but when it is a constant, pounding companion, it cuts away at who you are and makes it hard to do what you know is right."

"It's impossible to go through life unscathed. Nor should you want to. By the hurts we accumulate, we measure both our follies and our accomplishments."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by elanfanboy View Post
    I mean, just stop reading the ones that seem d&d inspired. I agree with you, in that it’s a little bit of an overused idea, but how is your example of a good one different from a d&d party?
    Maybe someone should write a Rhapsody of Fire book. Although they have a lot of songs that seem very D&D inspired, but I think they have a lot of original content.
    I'm a Lawful Good Human Paladin
    Justice and honor are a heavy burden for the righteous. We carry this weight so that the weak may grow strong and the meek grow brave
    — The Acts of Iomedae, Pathfinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Quibbilcious View Post
    I lost my artistic license after getting stuck in a poetry jam.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 8BitNinja View Post
    Maybe someone should write a Rhapsody of Fire book. Although they have a lot of songs that seem very D&D inspired, but I think they have a lot of original content.
    AND they got Sir Christopher Lee to sing with them! Some of it's cheesy as all get-out, but Christopher Lee, even in basically a Burger King crown, gives it a gravitas that just sucks you in!
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2018-06-13 at 04:22 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Dresden Files good sir, Dresden Files.
    Read a good deal of them. Also, Rivers of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I mean, I don't want to write "but that's just like, your opinion man" but... I dunno, a lot of samey, crappy fantasy books do get published. But a lot of wholly original tales are also awful. I'd rather see familiar tropes in the hands of a skilled writer than original concepts written by a hack.
    I mean, the problem there is the skill of the author. But if given the choice between an inventive risk and a safe normal, I'd rather take the risk.

I don't read those books, but I see it all the time with wannabe authors. It also can sometimes make browsing the fantasy section hard.

I will admit, that there is a difference between 'like D&D' and 'has elves and dwarves'.

The way my example is different? Well I suppose I showed it poorly (the three aren't all on the same side), but the point is it's not something I tend to see.

Show

24. - Top - End - #174

It's hard to have a fantasy novel written now where there is zero input from D&D because the Tolkien -> D&D -> Fantasy genre cycle has been running for decades. But yeah any book which has a Dark Lord and dwarves and elves in it is going to get a hard pass from me unless someone I respect is making some inspiring recommendations.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, the problem there is the skill of the author. But if given the choice between an inventive risk and a safe normal, I'd rather take the risk.
    And, given that same choice, I'd rather take the safe normal. *shrug* Different strokes for different folks.
    I'm currently writing a story, titled "Zenith: Another World Saga."

It's a fantasy/adventure story. Here's the summary:

When I opened my eyes, I was in a fantasy world. I quickly discovered that it functioned off of game-like rules (levels, EXP, skills, and so on). Taking the name Zenith, I decided to make the best of my new world and live as an adventurer aiming for the top together with my new best friend Rozenskye. And I might be functionally immortal? An Isekai-style story.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

I think that is a problem with high magic fantasy anyway. Conan is interesting because any injury is visceral and could lead to the character's downfall if not treated correctly. The Witcher has no insanely powerful wizards overlooking the land, dispatching the worst horrors of the monster world in 1-2 spells. Even Lord of the Rings is 70% travel RP, not big battles or wizard duels.

People and fantasy authors tend to forgot, stuff like Forgotten Realms or Eberron or [insert generic high fantasy setting] is fine as a roleplaying game that acts as escapism and power fantasy. But it is much less valid to tell a compelling story. (To be fair, Eberron did away with much high power shenanigans, with a world defining cleric being 1st level outside her keep, and with 70ish hit points being one-shot material even when near the source of her power).
    Wilfred Springgauge - Tinker Gnome Wizard - Henchmen!
    Siodhachan 'Siod' Glunmar - Shoanti (Half-Orc) Slayer - Curse of the Crimson Throne

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

They would soon turn to suicide due to a complete perfect lack of something to do
    Let's assume they've got a bunch of books and computer games and DVDs; like really a lot of them

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Let's assume they've got a bunch of books and computer games and DVDs; like really a lot of them
    Then they would still have exposure to others, after all, who is giving them the books and magazines? In this case, they can perform evil acts. What if a magazine inspired them to summon a demon?
    [PF] WitchHunter

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Say that they live on a deserted island and some crates coincidentallywashed up with a TV and a dvd player and some solar panels and a buttload of DVDs

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

See the end portion of thestatement above
    [PF] WitchHunter