New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default The Expanse tv series. (#Savedtheexpanse)

In an effort to make ourselves sad, let us discuss the best sci-fi tv show out there, cancelled because the execs of the channel it's running on in the USA are behind on the times and signed a contract that only gives them the rights (and money) to the live and dvr viewings for a show whose core fanbase is mostly geeky millenials who don't have cable anymore (AKA congrats Alcon, you played yourself). Hopefully Netflix or amazon will pick it up (which might actually get me to pay for amazon TV) but it's been a week without news and apparently they are packing up the set and are about to sell the props to Discovery so the cost of filming season 4 goes up every day. The outlook isn't great is what I'm saying.

I like cheezy sci-fi like Killjoys or Dark Matter (which was also cancelled last year grrrr) as much as the next guy but The Expanse is/was head an shoulders above the rest. It's a great series with no bad performances, great effects and attention to detail, and one of the best book to tv adaptations I've seen.

And it was just on the verge of getting to the really crazy cool stuff too. Clarissa, The Investigator, the Slow Zone, the Behemoth, Medina, Holden about to OD on speed being the funniest thing ever, the Free Navy, etc...

Anyway I'm very happy with season 3 so far, and the part with Prax, Amos and Strickland in the latest episode is one of the highlights so far.
    Last edited by thorgrim29; 2018-05-31 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Update
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Expanse tv series. We need to talk (#Savetheexpanse)

Quote Originally Posted by thorgrim29 View Post
    Anyway I'm very happy with season 3 so far, and the part with Prax, Amos and Strickland in the latest episode is one of the highlights so far.
    Are they planning to cancel mid-season?
    Give directly to the extreme poor.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Far as I understand the season is all shot, but seasons of the show cut across the books so it’ll end partway through a story if it doesn’t get picked up.

I’d like it to be, I’m more attached to the books but the series is a good version of them and I’d like to see it continue.

Especially because the more Avasarala we get the better.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Far as I understand the season is all shot, but seasons of the show cut across the books so it’ll end partway through a story if it doesn’t get picked up.
    Season 1 ended part of the way through book 1, but as I understand it, season 2 didn't cover through all of book 2? (I never kept watching... show didn't grab me that much. But then I got into the books and WOW.) From the trailers, it looked like season 3 was still in book 2.

I have to imagine that they'll put book 2's cliffhanger in the midst of s2, but idk where that leaves the ending of the season.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah they pretty much finished Caliban's war on episode 6 of S3.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So, I'm confused. Has the first half of Season 4 already been filmed? And is there a question of whether that will be aired?

Clone Wars had something similar happen several years ago, cancelled after Season 5 broadcast with half of Season 6 completed. They eventually released the "lost episodes" of Season 6 on DVD. Is there a possibility of something similar here?

Because Expanse is the first TV show in years that I would buy on DVD. The first season was a little slowish, but Season 2 was vastly better and Season 3 has been excellent so far. Watching Bobbi in her power armor is worth the price of a full season.

(And watching her out of it is nice too. )

Last edited by Palanan; 2018-05-20 at 10:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No, they have so far covered about 2/3 of a book per season, so the midpoint of season 3 was the end of book 2.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

So, what's the plan? A petition? A write in campaign?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

So far it seems like the plan is a petition and harassing Bezos. They also got some money together to rent a plane to fly a sign with #savetheexpanse near Amazon HQ.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Do you have links for those things so people can sign/donate?

You did say time was of the essence.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by thorgrim29
    No, they have so far covered about 2/3 of a book per season, so the midpoint of season 3 was the end of book 2.
    I don’t know anything about the books—all I know is the seasons on SyFy.

Has part of Season 4 already been filmed? Or have they only filmed up to the end of Season 3?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I absolutely love the show and I was sooo salty when I heard they weren’t renewed for season 4. I was definitely part of the problem. I’ve always DVRed it because it premiered during my Guild’s raid times for WoW.

I have a feeling I know exactly where it’s going to end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    with the Roci barreling into the ring with the Behemoth’s missles hot on her tail.
    SyFy always ending their seasons with Cliffhangers is tedious. (Looking at you The Magicians) Last week’s book two finale was a pretty solid ending.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I don’t know anything about the books—all I know is the seasons on SyFy.

Has part of Season 4 already been filmed? Or have they only filmed up to the end of Season 3?
    They're complete with Season 3 and SyFy will show the entirety of the season; we're about halfway to Season 3. However, a decision needs to be made about how they're going to fund Season 4 soon; the sets are going to be broken down soon and it'll be more expensive to start up again if they had to disassemble the sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Do you have links for those things so people can sign/donate?

You did say time was of the essence.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/...panse_and_how/

The big thing at the moment is to "watch" the show live if you're in the United States and raise the ratings (there have been some people who tuned in their TV and not actually watched it); live ratings is the only thing that SyFy cares about, since they aren't getting any of the ancillary streaming revenues from Amazon (US) or Netflix (international).

There's also a couple other things you can do to support the Expanse. One is to tweet out #SaveTheExpanse on Twitter. There's also a Change.org petition: https://www.change.org/p/amazon-or-n...savetheexpanse

I also bugged Amazon Studios (https://studios.amazon.com/contact-us) here and used "For Your Consideration".

The first fan stunt was getting a plane with a banner to fly over Amazon Studios: https://twitter.com/airadsworldwide/...74285689524224

The next stunt is getting a weather balloon with a model of the Roci near space. They're already 3/4ths of the way to funded and I'm astonished.

P.S. The Expanse is the best sci-fi I've watched in some time and I'd be very salty and annoyed if it got canceled.

One annoying feature of SyFy is that they're not using the F-bombs that the rest of the world gets. Sometimes it works okay like "What the hell is that?", but I got taken out when someone said "freaking".

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Tearcamel View Post
    I absolutely love the show and I was sooo salty when I heard they weren’t renewed for season 4. I was definitely part of the problem. I’ve always DVRed it because it premiered during my Guild’s raid times for WoW.

I have a feeling I know exactly where it’s going to end.
    Spoiler
    Show
    with the Roci barreling into the ring with the Behemoth’s missles hot on her tail.
    SyFy always ending their seasons with Cliffhangers is tedious. (Looking at you The Magicians) Last week’s book two finale was a pretty solid ending.
    I've seen the creators mention that this season does end on a good ending, so I wonder if they're going to rush through the next book's events. I really, really hope the show lasts long enough to get to book 5.

I've always felt like the seasons felt 4-5 episodes too short. First season could have gone until the S2E5, then second season could have gone from then to last week's episode.

Edit: Found the tweets saying no cliffhanger: https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/sta...68740453584896
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-05-21 at 03:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Joran
    I also bugged Amazon Studios (https://studios.amazon.com/contact-us) here and used "For Your Consideration.
    Excellent link, thanks. I’m heading over there next.

Originally posted by Joran
    One annoying feature of SyFy is that they're not using the F-bombs that the rest of the world gets.
    I’m fine with this. Saturation bombing with that kind of language is one reason why I hate HBO.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I’m fine with this. Saturation bombing with that kind of language is one reason why I hate HBO.
    It means they've toned Avasarala down a lot though.

Like a lot.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Book! Avasarala’s potty mouth is almost as bad as my mother’s. I’m from the Pittsburgh area, and as a historically blue collar area, we tend to swear A Lot. Shows without at least as many swear words as GoT or The Magicians season 3 don’t feel like they talk like real people to me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I also bugged Amazon Studios (https://studios.amazon.com/contact-us) here and used "For Your Consideration.”
    I sent them a brief, polite message, and received a thoroughly bland and generic reply. Pretty sure the hot-air balloon will have a better chance of catching their attention.

Or maybe a mail-in campaign? What could we mail them that says “Expanse”?

…other than glowing blue motes, of course.

Originally Posted by Tom Tearcamel
    Shows without at least as many swear words as GoT or The Magicians season 3 don’t feel like they talk like real people to me.
    I quit watching Magicians after the end of the first season, and I haven’t regretted that for an instant. Sounds like I haven’t missed much.

Last edited by Palanan; 2018-05-21 at 04:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I sent them a brief, polite message, and received a thoroughly bland and generic reply. Pretty sure the hot-air balloon will have a better chance of catching their attention.

Or maybe a mail-in campaign? What could we mail them that says “Expanse”?

…other than glowing blue motes, of course.
    I compared the response with my friend's and we got similar, but not identical responses. It seems like either actual people are writing the responses or Amazon's AI is smart enough to simulate different people.

I assume it's counted and it'll be one more data point for Amazon to consider whether to pick up the series.

Spoiler: Generic response
    Show

This is Kim from Amazon Studios.

We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback about Amazon Studios picking up "The Expanse". We welcome the opinions and suggestions of our Amazon customers.

I've forwarded your feedback along to the team involved in the future development of our Amazon Studios features.

We hope to see you again soon!

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
    Kim B.

Spoiler: Generic Response 2
    Show

This is Alek with the Amazon Studios Program.

We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback about the Syfy series The Expanse. We always welcome the opinions and suggestions of our Amazon customers.

I've forwarded your feedback along to the team involved in the future development of our Amazon Studios features and series, as well as the acquirement of distribution rights.

Never hesitate to continue to send us any suggestions for improvement or program lineup as your opinions and viewership is valuable to us.

Have a marvelous Monday!

We'd appreciate your feedback. Please use the buttons below to vote about your experience today.

Best regards,
    Alek S.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-05-21 at 04:37 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Preliminary news that Amazon is close to picking up the Expanse. Apparently, this was one of Jeff Bezos' favorite shows.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1113803

On the flip side, I need to figure out how to get my wife to give the show a shot again. I think the first few episodes of the first season felt a little slow, but by season 2, they were going at ludicrous speed.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-05-21 at 05:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I compared the response with my friend's and we got similar, but not identical responses.
    Interesting. My response doesn’t follow that template:

Spoiler: Generic Phase II?
    Show
    Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the future slate of Amazon Studios. I was sad to see this show go too, though I am excited at the potential for the show to go on.
    I have passed your request to the appropriate people so that they know this is a suggestion our viewers and potential viewers are interested in.

Best regards,
    Nakia R.

I think the first few episodes of the first season felt a little slow, but by season 2, they were going at ludicrous speed.
    For me, the entire first season was a little draggy, especially with the floppy-haired Belter detective. But it was compelling, and beautifully done, and…and…all the other things we love about The Expanse.

*sob*

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, those are pretty customized for generic responses. I've rarely seen someone put more personality than that into rejecting a job application for instance. I've written to a politician about a subject they (should) care about twice now, and I didn't get any response from them. So these might actually be a good sign. (Or they just have good protocols for dealing with rabid fans.)
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2018-05-22 at 04:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Did we ever have a thread for Season Three?

Can’t find it now, so just dropping in here to say that tonight’s episode felt like five episodes’ worth of awesome. The last scene was especially gruesome, and since I haven’t read the books I didn’t see it coming.

Spoiler: Race to the Finish
    Show
    I was actually starting to root for the racing guy by the end of it—even though the poor guy’s ex was playing him the whole way through.

Not having read the books, I was expecting him to be catapulted into another galaxy or something, not to be semi-liquified. This show usually isn’t that graphic, so that was a genuine shock.

Also, I have to wonder—if he was en route to the Ring long enough to grow a beard, how did he store enough food on that tiny little ship?

Spoiler: Book Break
    Show
    From other comments, I get the feeling that last week’s episode finished one book and tonight’s started a new one. It feels like a new season, with Prax abruptly gone, Naomi on the Behemoth, Bobbi reinstated, etc.

All of which is a bit of a shame, since I was starting to like Prax, and I’m always happy to see more of Bobbi.

Spoiler: Timing
    Show
    Speaking of which, this apparently picks up half a year after the last episode? So how long did it take the squid-sphere to reach the outer solar system from its launch position on Venus?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The scene you're describing was the epilogue to book 2, if that helps place things. Excellent to hear; this is where the series starts to get real interesting...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Did we ever have a thread for Season Three?

Can’t find it now, so just dropping in here to say that tonight’s episode felt like five episodes’ worth of awesome. The last scene was especially gruesome, and since I haven’t read the books I didn’t see it coming.

Spoiler: Race to the Finish
    Show
    I was actually starting to root for the racing guy by the end of it—even though the poor guy’s ex was playing him the whole way through.

Not having read the books, I was expecting him to be catapulted into another galaxy or something, not to be semi-liquified. This show usually isn’t that graphic, so that was a genuine shock.

Also, I have to wonder—if he was en route to the Ring long enough to grow a beard, how did he store enough food on that tiny little ship?

Spoiler: Book Break
    Show
    From other comments, I get the feeling that last week’s episode finished one book and tonight’s started a new one. It feels like a new season, with Prax abruptly gone, Naomi on the Behemoth, Bobbi reinstated, etc.

All of which is a bit of a shame, since I was starting to like Prax, and I’m always happy to see more of Bobbi.

Spoiler: Timing
    Show
    Speaking of which, this apparently picks up half a year after the last episode? So how long did it take the squid-sphere to reach the outer solar system from its launch position on Venus?
    Yes, this is the start of book 3.

There was also that scene a couple of weeks ago when a teenager completely tore apart his nurse and was putting it back together like a messed up jigsaw puzzle. It's so weird that TV is okay with that much gore, but no f-bombs or nudity.

No more Prax and Bobbi but hey, we get Diogo, sporting a new face tattoo!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

It's so weird that TV is okay with that much gore, but no f-bombs or nudity.
    Actually, I don’t need any of that. I don’t want this to be GoT in Space.TM

Fact is, The Expanse is more than strong enough without needing any of that as a crutch. For me it weakens the show to include all the gratuitous elements just to be “mature.”

No more Prax and Bobbi but hey, we get Diogo, sporting a new face tattoo!
    Worst trade ever.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    Yes, this is the start of book 3.
    It's so weird that TV is okay with that much gore, but no f-bombs or nudity.
    Plenty of F-bomb's (For instance, in last night's episode, just before the address to Earthers, Avasarala says it, what a surprise)...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Plenty of F-bomb's (For instance, in last night's episode, just before the address to Earthers, Avasarala says it, what a surprise)...
    In the US, on SyFy, we don't get any of the F-bomb's. They're all edited out or replaced, because SyFy is airing the Expanse at 9 PM (10 PM is generally the time where cable channels will start airing unedited f-bombs). We got some last season when The Expanse was airing at 10 PM.

We did get Amos saying "I don't SH*T where I eat" unedited though.
    Last edited by Joran; 2018-05-24 at 04:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Amazon has officially picked up the Expanse for Season 4:
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1115160
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

WOOT!!!

Maybe the little emails to Amazon helped after all, in a tiny way.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Yeah this is great. I had very low hopes of this actually happening but it looks like Bezos' encroaching monopoly on all of our lives will have at least a bit of a positive effect.