Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Alright, in accordance with feedback from MOG and Vogie, I did another pass at the Omen druid. Omens now consume spell slots and are much simpler (having a universal effect of boosting/penalizing dice rolls, plus an easily recorded secondary effect specific to each omen). Fatecaster got reworked (now always allows the spellcasting, with the spell slot consumption being shared between Omen and spell, but at reduced value). Omensight unchanged. Omen Twister now reduces the effect of the omen if you use it.

I'm considering allowing the Druid to use their reaction to negate a Weal omen bonus (without consuming the charge), in a mirror of Woe allowing the druid to use their reaction to force an omen penalty. Thoughts?

I'll do review for half of the posted subclasses tomorrow (Tuesday), and half Wednesday, by post order. 11 entries other than my own is too much for one sitting.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

2. - Top - End - #392

BlueKnightGuy

Y'all, I really wanted to do a Leprechaun Patron but I think we generally have too many warlock patrons in these competitions as it stands. Therefore, behold my Destiny Domain! Instead of just being luck-based, why not name your fate?

I'm pretty pleased with it overall, though any feedback on the "timing" / use counts of various abilities is certainly up for discussion. Also not sure if the 2nd and 6th abilities should both be CDs, though to me it (obviously) feels like they should.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

3. - Top - End - #393

Feedback time!

Spoiler: Rogue: Lucky Scoundrel
    Show

• I like the idea of trading sneak attack damage for a bonus.
    • Self-Made Luck almost makes me want to just skip luck points. The average value for a d6 where you can reroll ones and twos is ~4.2. For an extra ~0.7 damage per die on my sneak attack, I would definitely consider giving up the accuracy boost, unless my DM had a habit of throwing things at the upper end of bounded AC at me. This seems like it is intended to make up for lost dice in a small way, maybe a conditional requirement to ensure it doesn't benefit the no-luck-point Scoundrel?
    • Luck of a Traveler is a good ribbon.
    • Fool's Luck could stand to be stronger on the rogue damage end in my opinion. I'd have to see it in play, though. The extra bonus for Luck Points should be fine.

Spoiler: Barbarian Path of Dumb Luck
    Show

• First of all, putting the dumb in dumb luck gives you extra credit right there.
    • It's odd that Fortuitous Strike isn't a rage feature, as other barbarians usually get one at level 3. Otherwise it's fine (in rage, this barbarian is not competing with Frenzy's extra attack or Bear's resist all or Wolf's ally advantage, but it makes up for it by not requiring rage, IMO).
    • Impact Calibration: Fun little ribbon. I might swap its position with Bumbling Path as 10 is the usual barbarian ribbon level.
    • Bumbling Path: Nothing really to comment on. It fits, other than being at a level when barbarians usually get a ribbon instead of a combat feature.
    • Percussive Maintenance: Nice little buff to Impact Calibration.
    • Fortunate Footing: Honestly this feels a little weak, compared to Ranger's Land's Stride for example.

Spoiler: Paladin Oath of Fortune
    Show

• I like your Tenets. Having done a paladin last session I know how hard it can be to carve out a niche that's distinct from the existing oaths and I think you did a good job of that here.
    • Pass Without Trace, Major Image, and Greater Invisibility are a little odd to my mind, but I can understand them. The rest are right on theme.
    • Both Channel Divinities are on the stronger side, but are within the expected power level. This is good, I've seen paladins who routinely forgot they had Channel Divinity because their options didn't feel strong enough.
    • Fortune's Favored: neat little pickup. Cantrips aren't hard to come by but getting one still feels good.
    • Lucky Aura: This is perhaps too strong. Consider the interactions with the party's rogue, for example (now there's no way to lock out sneak attack). I would change it to allowing affected allies to ignore disadvantage for that reason alone. But beyond that, most forms of disadvantage are attached to, and often are the primary drawback of, conditions such as Frightened. This basically allows you to ignore the biggest combat penalty of a wide variety of conditions, when in comparison other auras allow ignoring a single condition (though they get all effects not just disadvantage).
    • Kismet is also pretty strong as it pushes against the bounded accuracy model of 5e.
    • Perfect Luck: It's a paladin transformation. They're all strong, and this one is too.

Overall, I think this Oath is a little too strong. No feature individually is too strong, but they are all at the upper end of power expectations for their individual feature level, and taken altogether the subclass doesn't have ups and downs, just ups.

Spoiler: Fate Sorcery
    Show

• Critical Hit refresh is a way better mechanic than Wild Magic has.
    • AC based on Charisma is already a good feature, even if it is limited to 10+, but giving Disadvantage on all attack rolls against you is too strong. I would just say "you can use Charisma instead of Dexterity to calculate your Armor Class when you are not wearing armor".
    • Recycled Luck's wording is hard to follow. I think I understand how it works though, and it seems fine (though putting an ally with Evasion in the middle of a bunch of enemies and then using Careful Magic would allow you to do some interesting things like casting Fireball at 5th (half damage), then 4th (half damage), then 3rd (normal save) level from a single 5th level starting slot, turning what would be 10d6 into 5d6+4.5d6+8d6. The loss of action economy helps make up for this).
    • Misfortune Feedback: I assume the spells Bane and Hellish Rebuke are cast at their lowest possible spell slot (1st level?).
    • Chosen Outcome: Is this automatic or does the sorcerer choose whether to use it? If I fireball an enemy as a Reaction, do my allies also have disadvantage on their saves?

Overall I like it. It mixes up the game economy though, so its performance will be highly dependent on how close to guidelines it's played at.

Spoiler: Warlock: Fatekeeper Patron
    Show

• Expanded spell list mostly looks go, though Staggering Smite and Contagion are a little odd to me.
    • Destiny's Curse is highly likely to do nothing. Consider that most combat lasts maybe 3 rounds. By my math, it only has a ~46% chance of doing anything at all assuming the target needs to make 4 d20 checks per round over a 3 round combat. In exploration and social situations, it is even less likely, as those often resolve in just one or two checks. I'd either add another effect or allow it to be used as a reaction when a 20 comes up once per rest instead of requiring it to be used ahead of time.
    • Fortune's Blessing is a lot more reliable. Attack rolls are pretty easy to predict, and saving throws aren't that much harder. I also like that you can use it right before dropping a big AoE to protect your allies from the effect.
    • Fate's Servant: This adds a rider to Destiny's Curse that makes it reliable, but it comes 9 levels after the fact.
    • Doom's Verdict: A good feature. Only problem is that it would get considerably stronger with each additional party member you add, which makes it hard to decide the balance without an expected party size.

Spoiler: Ranger Longshot Conclave
    Show

• Implausible Critical is an odd mechanic but I like it. It does a little bit more than expanded critical.
    • I feel like Capsize should do something beneficial only on one side of the coin. Prone is detrimental to your ranged attacks as a Longshot, but it is still beneficial overall, allowing your melee allies to beat them up and providing the same penalty to attack rolls that blinded gives.
    • Unsettling Movement: Basically Drunken Master's Kip Up, Barbarian's Danger Sense, and Deflect Arrows all as one feature? I would dial this back to a pick-one feature a la Hunter Conclave's special attacks. Alternatively, you could spread it out more, so that you get one at 7, one at 11, and one at 15.
    • Shifting Fate is a good way to play with Advantage that still feels like a tier upgrade. I have no complaints here that aren't the ranger base class's fault.
    • Gambit: It all looks good here. The 3-heads benefit is really nice but with only a 1/8 chance per combat it will feel special when it happens.

I remember you had posted saying you were working this Conclave to work with a version of ranger which you had made, so I'll remind you that the rules require that any homebrew base classes be linked from the submission (and allowed by the original creator but when using your own I think it can be assumed). I've been letting it slide for classes using the UA Revised Ranger, since strictly speaking that isn't homebrew, but unless you add a link I (and probably others) are going to work on the assumption that this is for either the base ranger or the UA Revised Ranger.

I haven't forgotten the rest of you. Come back around this time tomorrow and check for another post getting the other 6 classes so far.
    Also, we have just under a week left in the contest, and we're sitting at 13 subclasses in this luck-themed contest.
    Last edited by MoleMage; Yesterday at 02:31 PM.
    Signature currently down for maintenance. Expected completion March 22, 3046.

Spoiler: Contest Awards
    Show

4. - Top - End - #394
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Feedback time!
    Show

• I like the idea of trading sneak attack damage for a bonus.
    • Self-Made Luck almost makes me want to just skip luck points. The average value for a d6 where you can reroll ones and twos is ~4.2. For an extra ~0.7 damage per die on my sneak attack, I would definitely consider giving up the accuracy boost, unless my DM had a habit of throwing things at the upper end of bounded AC at me. This seems like it is intended to make up for lost dice in a small way, maybe a conditional requirement to ensure it doesn't benefit the no-luck-point Scoundrel?
    • Luck of a Traveler is a good ribbon.
    • Fool's Luck could stand to be stronger on the rogue damage end in my opinion. I'd have to see it in play, though. The extra bonus for Luck Points should be fine.

Self-Made Luck is supposed to help make up for the decreased damage of giving people Luck Points, yeah. I can make it only apply while you're granting Luck Points, which ought to help.

The biggest bonus from Fool's Luck, IMO, is that it isn't limited to the same conditions as Sneak Attack for when it can work. But you're right that it's still a major loss of damage - maybe if it's a +2 damage bonus instead? That would kind of mean that instead of losing a die of Sneak Attack for each Luck Point your grant, the damage of that die goes down to 2, which feels like it matches up with Self-Made Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    Various Reflections
    Spoiler: Lucky Scoundrel
    Show
    Luck points seems odd. If your allies don't use their reactions to consume the luck points, your Sneak Attacks are gimped. You also write that you can't grant more luck equal than your charisma modifier twice, so that can be streamlined
    Luck of a Traveller is a strange name for that feature. It's not really luck related, just based on being well-travelled, and adding the phrase "you know what I'm saying" after every 5 words seems like an odd downside.
    Gimping your sneak attack to help your allies is kind of... the point? It's the central mechanic of the class.

You can't grant more luck than your Cha at once, and you can't grant more than that to a single person at all. It's not redundant, because you don't HAVE to grant your Cha in points at once - you can give someone 3 points one round, and then another 2 points the next round (assuming your bonus is +5) but you can't give them 3 points and then another 3.

It is an odd name for the feature, I admit. The idea is that you're lucky enough to be able to guess what people are saying, and get your meaning across. Refluffing it might help it make more sense.

Anyway, I reworded some stuff and improved the flavor text some.
    Last edited by theVoidWatches; Yesterday at 03:35 PM.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun.

"How do you write like youíre running out of time?
    Write day and night like youíre running out of time?"

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Current version 0.1.6.2 Added Flavortext!

Vampire Prestige Class (on GiantITP) Current version 0.1.1 Initial Release!

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post

Show

• Critical Hit refresh is a way better mechanic than Wild Magic has.
    • AC based on Charisma is already a good feature, even if it is limited to 10+, but giving Disadvantage on all attack rolls against you is too strong. I would just say "you can use Charisma instead of Dexterity to calculate your Armor Class when you are not wearing armor".
    • Recycled Luck's wording is hard to follow. I think I understand how it works though, and it seems fine (though putting an ally with Evasion in the middle of a bunch of enemies and then using Careful Magic would allow you to do some interesting things like casting Fireball at 5th (half damage), then 4th (half damage), then 3rd (normal save) level from a single 5th level starting slot, turning what would be 10d6 into 5d6+4.5d6+8d6. The loss of action economy helps make up for this).
    • Misfortune Feedback: I assume the spells Bane and Hellish Rebuke are cast at their lowest possible spell slot (1st level?).
    • Chosen Outcome: Is this automatic or does the sorcerer choose whether to use it? If I fireball an enemy as a Reaction, do my allies also have disadvantage on their saves?

Overall I like it. It mixes up the game economy though, so its performance will be highly dependent on how close to guidelines it's played at.

I'm really glad you like it!

On the Charisma-AC, some numbers:

An enemy with a +3 bonus to hit against:

13 AC: 55%
    13 AC with Disadvantage: 30.25%
    15: AC: 45%
    15 AC with Disadvantage: 20.25%
    20 AC (Heavy Armor + Shield): 20%

Now an enemy with +8 bonus to hit against:

13 AC: 80%
    13 AC with Disadvantage: 64%
    15: AC: 70%
    15 AC with Disadvantage: 49%
    20 AC (Heavy Armor + Shield): 45%

So you make a good point. I do still like the Disadvantage to hit, as the idea is that you can force an enemy to hit you by using Twist of Fate, which can activate Misfortune Feedback as an expensive way of casting out of turn.

I might change it to 8 + Charisma in AC, though, as this starts to become *slightly* better than Mage Armor with a +2 Charisma Bonus. It'd also give the feel of "oh crap, my AC is low", while still having better survivability than anyone with Mage Armor.

There's a rule somewhere (not 100% sure exactly what page) that says that spells that are cast without a spell slot are always cast at their lowest possible level, which is why I didn't clarify what level Bane and Hellish Rebuke are cast at.

That's a valid point on Chosen Outcome. I'll make it so that you can choose, which is kind of an obvious decision, considering the feature's title!

Homebrewery

Prestige Options, using existing classes to open up more unique character builds.
    Improved Ability Checks, fixing unused skills by improving player agency.
    Improved Stealth, creating long-term stealth that supports melee combat.
    Improved Initiative, maintaining tension even after combat ends.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.

6. - Top - End - #396

BlueKnightGuy

Sure, I'll try to hand out some feedback on things.

Show
    Honestly? Not sure I have much to say here. I think it's a little complicated, but I don't have any concrete ideas for simplifying, and it offers a unique and thematic niche. I would offer additional scaling for Better Lucky Than Good (d8 at 13th and d10 at 17th), and I think you forgot a "not proficient" in Luck of the Traveller, but otherwise it seems solid. If I were changing anything, I'd rework Fool's Luck, but nothing comes to mind for other options.

Spoiler: Barbarian Path of Dumb Luck
    Show
    Love the concept. I agree with flipping Bumbling Path to 6 (it isn't that strong, but Fortuitous Strike increases as well), but it does feel a bit weak at 14. Fortunate Footing could be a little better, is really what I'm saying (but don't overload it with features).

Spoiler: Paladin Oath of Fortune
    Show
    Spell list seems a little strange in places. Bane / Bless and Aid are obvious; Mislead is really good, and Dispel Good and Evil and Greater Invisibility seem all right. Other suggestions here: I'd definitely lose Pass without Trace (probably for Mirror Image, though there are other options like Augury, Blur, and Crown of Madness). 3rd level options could be Bestow / Remove Curse, Blink, or Hypnotic Pattern, as I'm not a fan of either of those there. As 4th-level spells, I like Confusion, Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement, Hallucinatory Terrain, Secret Chest...maybe Guardian of Faith or Locate Creature, even.

I don't like Shield of Fortune given its ability to stack with other AC increases, but Lucky Break is a good option.

Lucky Aura seems on the stronger side, as it potentially negates enemies' tricks, but it doesn't provide an outright benefit on most occasions. I guess the best way I can describe it is "game-warping" in how it can influence DM plans.

Kismet is thematic but also feels fairly strong. Given that Bless is on the spell list (and the other features lean on the stronger side), I do think I'd replace this.

I don't know if Perfect Luck is too strong, but it's too many things. My suggestion is to pull off a couple of the benefits (I'd say the third and fourth) and rewrite the last to read: "You may add your proficiency bonus to any skill checks you make that you arenít already proficient with."

Show
    Interesting early feature. Critical hit refresh is weird but fitting (I'd change "see" to "notice" or "observe" to add a little clarity that it can work with non-visible creatures, or reword to make it clear that it's only visible ones). The AC change is a weird calculation, though, and if you kept it I'd rename it to be its own listed feature.

The other features need rewriting to bring them more in line with 5e standards and just make what they're doing clearer. It's also missing additional ways to spend sorcery points, which usually happens with at least one of an origin's features.

Spoiler: Warlock: Fatekeeper Patron
    Show
    Given the patron, I think the spell list is actually a little too random. I did a version of this that had things like Command, for example, that's just causing things to happen. Given that, I do really like Enhance Ability, Bestow Curse, Slow, and Staggering Smite (though I'd like that better if it had one or two other smites, though also I get why it doesn't).

As noted, Destiny's Curse is likely to be useless, though when it triggers it'll feel really good. If you want to keep the feature, I would make it usable Cha mod number of times per long rest (min. 1), which lets you spread it out a bit. You also probably have to keep in mind that you want the occasional bonus action early for Hex targets in many / most fights, but it's good for ensuring a big "boss" doesn't crit you out of a fight.

I like Fortune's Blessing, but can it be used on yourself? Add a sentence clarifying that if needed (or just "other" before "willing creature"), and I think you forgot an "or": sentence would read better as "The next time within the next minute that the creature is forced to make a saving throw or is targeted by an attack roll, it adds 1d8 to its saving throw or AC against that attack roll."

Fate's Servant is nice, better than I'd expect, and thematically builds on the patron's identity. Some decent synergy with a melee warlock. Having more potential Destiny's Curse uses would also improve this feature a bit.

I like the flavor of Doom's Verdict, but it feels really strong (and does scale with more party members quite heavily). Perhaps a better option would be to grant vulnerability to an instance of damage with your reaction (probably declared after the attack hits but before damage is rolled). I think it would be good at Cha modifier uses per long rest, though uses might be tweakable. As it is, this is probably strong enough to be a once-per-day feature.

Aside from the capstone, I do quite like this one.

Spoiler: Ranger Longshot Conclave
    Show
    To be honest, Hex is a little weird with Hunter's Mark, too, but it's probably worth taking.

I think, given the double features, something at 3rd level just needs to be cut. While Implausible Critical's potential variance is high, assuming you make ~2 d20 rolls in a round you've got quite a few chances to trigger automatic critical hits / basically automatic save successes, and a decent chunk of those numbers would otherwise be failures. Combined with Capsize, though, if you're getting any consistent advantage on attack rolls...that's even nastier.

Unsettling Movement also does too much. Comparing the Hunter, I think the second and third benefits are worthy selections if that's the only thing you get, and Leap to Your Feet could easily be buffed to be comparable. I agree with making this a choice.

Shifting Fate is really cool. I think I'd just make it a single stored use (pulling away advantage, while situational, feels nice), though I'd also probably then let the ranger bank it for himself for later if he has advantage.

Gambit is neat, but it's too much too remember. I don't know why you have a line in there about choosing not to flip--I can't see any disadvantage to doing it--and it's probably reasonably solid without the "active" coin-flip benefits, maybe a little on the weak side. Again comparing with the Hunter, though, it doesn't look that far off at that point.

Spoiler: Beloved of the Dice
    Show
    I am curmudgeonly and don't like anything that mucks with the mechanics of 5e so much. Having said that, here's what feedback I will muster.

This feels pretty complicated. It's an interesting idea, and the requirements (say, for using d20s) probably balance things, but there's a lot of bookkeeping involved. I think the features themselves work pretty well, but it is a "win-more" class in one sense. As you gain features, there becomes some protection against bad luck, but it takes a while to get there. Having said that, it'll trigger quite a bit, and there's an interesting trade-off to deliberately using lower dice sizes for more procs (though being able to swap them out for bigger ones at no penalty makes the trade-off matter less, too).

Encouraging multiclassing so much also seems strange to me. There's a huge difference in pulling this as a Cleric / Warlock / Sorcerer hybrid (I think you can get to 10 Luck Dice with Cleric 2 / Warlock 1 / Sorcerer 1, unless I misunderstand), and while that might be an abomination of a build it's pretty different than getting it as Fighter 3 / Ranger 3 / Rogue 3, for example. I believe the earliest you can pull Luck Never Runs out is Cleric 8, but Supreme Luck needs to wait until character level 16 (Cleric 6 plus one of Barb / Druid / Fighter / Rogue / Wizard to level 10). The latter gives you 21 Luck Dice, then two more levels in Cleric adds 7 for a total of 28 (which gets you to Luck Never Runs Out, also). Then, you can get 17 more with 1 level in Sorcerer and Warlock each. So 45 Luck Dice is our theoretical cap for a 20-level build...good luck using all of those in a single round.

There are also some strong things in the class-specific stuff, especially given most of those laters are stacking with a minimum of 3 more dice and Consistent Luck, unless I misunderstand. Depending on how many dice you have stored up (and combined with other features like Consistent Luck), some of the potential disadvantages might not matter much at all. Weird thing that stands out: your cleric gets Channel Divinity one level earlier than all the others.

Spoiler: The Gambler Patron
    Show
    Another one where I really like the core concept. The spell list doesn't make much sense to me, though.

Initially Deck of Cards was too strong early (another spell slot? Sign me up, said every Warlock ever) and scaled poorly. You've fixed that, though, so that's a better break this time around. I do think I'd add language that you can perform this draw only once per short or long rest (so you have to take a whole other hour to re-draw) just for clarity, though it's basically in there anyway...I dunno. Binding cards to suits is also an interesting wrinkle to keep this in check. Overall, it's probably about where it should be.

Poker Face is okay. Kind of situational.

Pair is interesting but pretty weak. You're effectively giving up the main advantage of taking this pact for a (somewhat small) chance to buff a spell above what you "should" be able to do? At the minimum I'd throw away the suit disadvantage link at this level as well.

Given the name, shouldn't Double or Nothing be a normal hit if you fail the re-reroll? As it is, I'd probably just make it Cha mod uses per long rest. If you make it an actual chance thing (that is, fails if you fail the re-rolled attack), I probably wouldn't cap the uses at all (maybe Cha mod per short).

Spoiler: Fatethief
    Show
    Whew. I see what this is going for, but it's too complex a way to handle this concept to fit well in 5e. Also, everything in here is offense-heavy--a good class option should generally branch out in other ways (utility or defensive options, in short), and Rogue Archetypes in particular.

Prophetic Curse is the most interesting feature, being a geas analog, but the scaling (one sentence per Luck Dice..?) seems weird, and there's a chance it does literally nothing despite costing a lot of the archetype's resources.

Edit: I lied, let's just finish these while I have some time.

Spoiler: Way of the Chance Dancer
    Show
    This seems pretty fun.

There's a chance Eye of the Mind just doesn't do anything useful, though it's broad enough that it usually will. I think it's probably fine as a 1 ki option, though there will be times where it'll be really good.

Chance Dancing is a solid feature that I really appreciate. I'd probably make it "Large or smaller" creature; as written, it penalizes Small monks a bit (but also allows for some enlarge shenanigans so I'm conflicted there).

Much like Doom's Verdict on the Fatekeeper Patron, Echoing Providence is really good. To be fair, it's not Stunning Strike, but at least there's a chance that's wasted...right? To be honest, though, despite the thematic there's probably too much overlap with SS.

Manifestation of Serendipity seems like a good capstone to me. Really strong in crowd situations. I think the wording's a little off, though. Rewrite as "Up to 6 friendly creatures within range that you can see gain the benefits of a bless spell until the start of your next turn, and up to six hostile creatures within range that you can see must make a Wisdom saving throw. If the creature fails, it wastes its action on its next turn due to sudden misfortune."

Spoiler: Circle of Omens
    Show
    Agh! You over-corrected here from the initial draft.

The good: The concept from the beginning was good, if you ask me. Having some control to flip is excellent, though I do think you should always consider how Archdruid interacts with such things (so I'd probably just make it a once per short rest choice). Fatecaster is a nice concept / rider effect to tie to the main feature. Omensight works well as a utility feature, and Omen Twister is almost exactly what I'd want, I think.

The bad: There's a ton of bookkeeping here: you need to track durations, "charges," small bonuses on the individual omens, and what happens at the end of the omen, and as far as I can tell you can have multiples running. Most combats don't go longer than 1 minute, but disadvantage on all attack rolls and ability checks for at least 1 minute is crippling (imagine an NPC using this on a PC, for instance). Fatecaster is kind of complex in wording (I'd probably just force you to expend an additional spell slot that you're using to cast the rider spell). The Weal / Woe "charges" are a decent concept on their own, but they forced the actual omen effects to be pretty watered down. Also, unless I'm missing something, you learn only two omens at the beginning of this circle, can never learn any others, and you can't change your choices, either, which is weird.

Spoiler: College of the Bold
    Show
    Y'all are maybe going to convince me making bard college isn't so bad. Well, no, maybe not quite that.

I love the opening stuff here. I do think Fortune's Returning Favors is a bit complex: I'd leave it at "When you are hit by a melee attack, you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against that creature. If you hit, roll damage normally and additionally reduce the attack's damage by the amount rolled. If you miss the attack roll, you gain vulnerability to that instance of damage. Before you roll the attack roll, you may expend a bardic inspiration and add it to your attack roll." If you really want the spell part, there needs to be additional language on it, I think.

In the Face of Danger adds an interesting twist to disadvantage (almost turns it into a kind of advantage...wonder if 19-20 isn't better), and I really like what it does for being frightened, even if that's really situational.

Ballad of the Boldest Fools seems like a weird way to bring its effects in (riding on another feature), but I like it.
    Last edited by Ivellius; Yesterday at 11:40 PM.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

7. - Top - End - #397
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just rewrote the fatethief, hopefully it's a bit simpler, and I made the features less combat oriented. Cursed Fate now gives straight up disadvantage, but only on a single type of roll that the player chooses, forcing them to be a bit more strategic, and they gain luck dice at random when the cursed target would have succeeded if not for disadvantage. Moved lengthening the duration of the curse to 9th level, cut Cut the Thread (heh) and Twisted Choices. Added Stolen Prophecy as a nice divination/roleplay feature that ties better to the theme of the subclass. A little less restrictive wording on Prophetic Curse, but you only have a minute to spit your "prophecy" out. Also made it less of a gamble on those extra two luck dice to activate the ability.

Been a bit busy lately, but I'll try to be back later tomorrow with some short feedback for everybody. Thanks for all your help, guys.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html