New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Just threw up a bit of a weird one in the Gambler patron. I'm hoping it swims instead of sinking but it was too interesting of an idea for the theme to pass up.

Spoiler: Reviews
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Thanks for the votes all and placing me in first . I was really hoping that the College of the Luchador would land well with others as it was a fun one to write.

There is the first (second maybe) draft of the Barbarian Path of Dumb Luck [Can't post links yet] Feel free to throw anything my way that seems off. Although, it will have a few more revisions before I'm actually happy, and need a bunch of flavour.
    At first, I was off put by the idea of going into a rage to make a check with an artisans tool of all things but then I was overwhelmed with the idea of doing angry pottery. Always a fan of the guy bumbling through combat and beating the enemy through dumb luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Icecaster View Post
    I had to take a break from the forums for a while, so sorry I didn't participate anymore in the last contest

I saw the theme yesterday, though, and I was struck with a bit of inspiration. I hope my vision came through in the Paladin: Oath of Fortune. There's obviously some references to The Gambler in it I considered a gambler bard, but decided I liked the tenets being lyrics better. I also considered a wizard who used transmutation to make lucky charms, but couldn't think of enough good features for it.

I'd also like to review things again soon, once there are some more submissions up.
    My biggest criticism is the tenants not being: Know when to hold them, Know when to fold them, Know when to walk away and Know when to run. Shield of fortune seems like it could run into some problems with a sword and board paladin that knows the shield spell but honestly what doesn't? The same problem can be seen with the perfect luck capstone but that's also a capstone and at that point fun>balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I am NOT throwing away... my... shot!

The Longshot Ranger is up. With an interesting, variable expanded crit range, thrown build support, supernatural reflexes, and the ability to steal advantage from your foes, You can emulate any number of of incredibly lucky warriors.
    I'm not too familiar with ranger archetypes and this might be a longshot (buh-dum tish) but it seems like the 7th level feature gives a lot to the character, specifically in the 2nd and 3rd benefit. That being said I'm always hype for game mechanics which bring in interesting stuff for randomization like, in this case, a coin. Gambit seems like a real ass-clencher of an ability when you're trying to get all you can from those flips before a boss fight but with each success, you feel more and more like you're about to fail.
    Last edited by Kingsluger; 2019-03-07 at 07:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just Finished up the fatethief rogue, still working on flavor text. I'm kinda worried it might be a bit overpowered right now, let me know what you guys think and how it can be adjusted to fit into the powercurve a bit better.

I'll probably be back in a day or two with flavor text and comments. Looks good so far, guys.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsluger View Post
    At first, I was off put by the idea of going into a rage to make a check with an artisans tool of all things but then I was overwhelmed with the idea of doing angry pottery. Always a fan of the guy bumbling through combat and beating the enemy through dumb luck.
    Actually my favorite thought on this as I was writing it was raging your way through glassblowing. I mean sure, painting, cooking, brewing, alchemy, smith's tool all make a little sense. The whole point is that someone is sitting there watching and going "how in the world did that just work?"
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Move thoughts reviews and comments. I got knocked down pretty hard with an illness, so if I missed yours and you want comments please feel free to PM. It's not intentional

Spoiler: Rogue: The Fatethief
    Show

First thing I really like about this is the start of it being giving others bad luck. Most of what I have seen is getting good luck yourself or giving it to allies. I like the cursebringer aspect of this.

Cursed Fate - This feels extremely powerful to me. It effectively gives you the ability to force a better version of disadvantage nearly at will. Not only that though, it is better than disadvantage because it could also apply while someone has disadvantage. This definitely needs to be limited to 1 person cursed at once, you need a reaction to force it to happen, and I think you should only be able to do it X times per rest. Even at that it still may be overpowered. Another way to limit it more is to make it an action to curse someone, then you have to sacrifice almost an entire round to do it.

Stolen Luck - This seems fine, especially since it is limited. Although it does make the rogue even more of a skill monkey.

Cut the Thread - The wording here is a little confusing. Do they take damage based on the number of die spend or damage based on the rolls from the die spent?

Twisted Choices - I'm glad this is a reaction. This could be overpowered, but I think it will be okay based on the fact that you don't get that many stolen luck. My understanding is that you can't gain more luck dice than half your level per rest (meaning that even if you are level 10, you gain 5, then spend 2, you can't gain any more). I would actually define when you choose to use this. Is it before the roll is done? After? Personally I think it should be before the attack is rolled.

Fateful Words - Personal opinion. Drop this ability completely. Make the Cursed Fate an action and don't make it tied to hitting someone with a sneak attack. That makes it usable outside of combat. It you want something to increase the time, you can replace this with an ability to spend luck dice to increase the duration of the cursed fate.

Prophetic Curse - I like this as a capstone, it allows the use of imagination to make up something good and it has out of combat utility.

So just my initial impressions. Thanks for the submission :)

Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Added flavor text and cleaned up the feature names on the Longshot Ranger.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

I still haven't come up with an idea for the Luck. I thought I would have more for this. I might do a Druid thing based on omens. Or a Leprechaun Druid.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Various Reflections
    Spoiler: Lucky Scoundrel
    Show
    Luck points seems odd. If your allies don't use their reactions to consume the luck points, your Sneak Attacks are gimped. You also write that you can't grant more luck equal than your charisma modifier twice, so that can be streamlined
    Luck of a Traveller is a strange name for that feature. It's not really luck related, just based on being well-travelled, and adding the phrase "you know what I'm saying" after every 5 words seems like an odd downside.

Spoiler: Dumb Luck
    Show
    Harmful strike seems like the DMG's proficiency variant rule, where you get a d4 instead of +2, a d6, instead of +3, and so on.
    Sure Footed feels like it should be part of the Finding the Path feature instead of separate.
    Percussive Maintenance should probably be worded "Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make." I'd like to see a combat impact of Percussive Maintenance, perhaps dealing increased damage to things that were recently repaired or healed?

Spoiler: Oath of Fortune
    Show
    I really like Lucky Aura and Kismet
    I'd like Perfect luck to be more than just expanded crits a roll floor and +3 AC. Lets see something strange and amazing!
    It doesn't say how often you can use your capstone

Spoiler: Fate Sorcery
    Show
    I like it, but it aggravates me that the 1st and 6th level features don't connect. Predicted spell makes sense, but doesn't mesh well with a subclass based around manipulating advantage.
    Chosen Outcome is great.

Spoiler: FateKeeper
    Show
    I really like the anti-crit of Destiny's Curse and the mini-BI of Fortune's blessing, but they're both such small abilities by themself. Maybe include a half-feature, like added proficiencies or spells, or make them AOE spells. Perhaps increasing the targets over time?
    I feel the expanded spell list has too many Concentration spells on it

Spoiler: The Gambler
    Show
    I can't wrap my mind around the Deck based casting system in a moment, but there is no Bluff checks in 5e (it's either Deception or Persuasion).
    Double or Nothing is really cool, but it is probably too powerful for every s/l rest. Maybe just every long rest

Spoiler: Fatethief
    Show
    Love the Luck dice!
    For Fateful words, did you want it curse for hours equal to number of fate dice, or the value of the dice spent.
    Prophetic curse should be shorter than "one sentance" - Choose a number of words, or maybe make them variable to the numbers rolled on the luck die

... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

Various Reflections
    Spoiler: The Gambler
    Show
    I can't wrap my mind around the Deck based casting system in a moment, but there is no Bluff checks in 5e (it's either Deception or Persuasion).
    Double or Nothing is really cool, but it is probably too powerful for every s/l rest. Maybe just every long rest
    Changed up the skill from bluff to deception, been power reading pathfinder stuff lately. The card casting is kinda hard to put into words but basically what I was going for instead of having a set level and number of spell slots, you draw a number of cards after your rest and the cards grant you spell slots of a level based on the number on the card. So for example, if I was drawing 3 cards and got a 6, 1 and a 2 I would have a level 3 and two level one spell slots. I'm considering removing the ties to spell school based on the card suit since that just further complicates an already complicated thing.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Firbolg in the Playground

Various Reflections

Spoiler: Fate Sorcery
    Show
    I like it, but it aggravates me that the 1st and 6th level features don't connect. Predicted spell makes sense, but doesn't mesh well with a subclass based around manipulating advantage.
    Chosen Outcome is great.
    Thanks, Vogie. You made a good point.

Hmm...How about something like this:

When you cast a spell that causes a Saving Throw, you can opt to cause creatures it affects to roll with Advantage. If a creature makes their Saving Throw, you can immediately end the spell and regain a Spell Slot that's smaller than the Spell Slot spent.

This way, you can do some crazy stuff, like:
    • Impose Advantage, just to turn it back into Disadvantage with Twist of Fate, and still the spell slot refunded if the creature manages to use a Legendary Save.
    • Cast a spell that does damage up front (like Lightning Bolt), grant Advantage on everyone's saves, and then get the spell refunded, leaving the damage on the unlucky few who still failed.
    • Like the last bullet, but using Twinned Spell to deal some tremendous single target damage (with something like Finger of Death) and still cancel it to leave the lingering damage (and Zombie in the case of FoD).

Actually, I like this so much, I'm doing it.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-08 at 07:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

10. - Top - End - #370

AssassinGuy

Just edited the fatethief. Subsumed the fateful words ability into cursed fate, but made it take longer to curse a target either way. Also made it so you can only cause a single reroll in a round instead of one per cursed creature, and restricted it to rolls that didn't have disadvantage. Hopefully along with limiting how many creatures you can curse per short or long rest that'll reign in the ability a bit.
    I also clarified a few things with other abilities, and cut most of the upgrades to the luck die size. Hope that's better power level wise.
    Still haven't got the flavor text done yet.

As for other people's things, Kingsluger's gambler looks pretty good, but I do worry about the wonky spellcasting. the main problem is that the number of spellslots is based on the proficiency bonus. Even if you don't get the higher level slots it's pretty powerful to have six 1st level spell slots a short rest from only taking a single level in warlock. Paladins and sorcerers will be thrilled (or even moon druids who like the healing as an elemental). A more minor concern is the chance of having as many as four 5th level slots at 9th level, potentially throwing out two spells upcasted to 6th level by a 10th level warlock. I like the idea of the mechanic, but I'm worried that it could swing between wildly powerful and a new version of the 15 minute adventuring day ("Hey, guys, let's hold back a little longer, I got a bad draw"). Overall an interesting idea, but there's a few minor issues that need addressed. Maybe you draw cards until they reach a point total based on your level, discarding a card that makes you go over that total? Looking at the sorcerer to figure out how many points you should have and how many points each card should be might work for that.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

11. - Top - End - #371

BardGuy

Thanks for looking at my stuff both of you!
    Oath of Fortune Spells - I'm not sure on a few of the spells.
    Shield - seems like it is to powerful and to easy to get it.
    and there are a bunch of other ones that didn't seem to fit in to me. I know when I was starting the Oath of Luck I looked at these spells myself.
    Oath of Luck Spells
    3rd - Bane, Bless
    5th - Aid, Mirror Image
    9th - Bestow Curse, Remove Curse
    13th - Compulsion, Death Ward
    17th - Contagion, Mislead
    Yeah, I was having a hard time deciding on good luck spells, so I decided to go with a subtheme of illusions, since most archetypes that take this oath would benefit greatly from having them out of combat without making things too good in combat. It looks like you took a similar route, so I'm not sure how you mean some of them don't fit. It had occurred to me that shield might be too strong, but the opportunity cost with a half-caster's slots justified for me, and I wanted to keep the theme on being lucky as opposed to degrading others' luck. In the end, I think I'll switch it to bane just so that the temptation to spam shield isn't there. If you were confused with haste, I was seeing it as a spell that essentially boosts luck on overdrive for a hot second. As for dispel evil and good vs contagion, I don't think disease fits the subclass theme at all, but dispel evil and good can be putting people on a level playing field, so to speak, so that luck is the only thing left to benefit from.

Shield of Fortune. - Consider that the way this is written you can use this, shield of faith, and shield. So by level 3 you are looking at a possible AC of 24 (splint +shield+defensive fighting style+ shield of faith + divinity) and then you can use a shield spell to get to 29 if you need it. This is almost silly powerful even at higher levels
    Lucky Break - I might actually adjust this to be a 1d10 or 1d12. It makes it more chancy, but I don't think it is broken as is.
    I mean, for the AC, if you want to use a spell slot and your channel divinity, get the fighting style, and go sword and board just to do that while having to maintain concentration, I'd say that's fine. You've achieved your character goal. And only 2 out of that 24 is actually from anything I made, so I don't think that's on me in the first place. I already took out shield, so that's also not a problem anymore. As for lucky break, an average of 5.5 or 6.5 would mean that nobody would ever use it over shield of fortune, and the option is basically like the one from conquest except it's utility and defense. The subclass is luck, not gambling, despite the references. I feel like the player should be able to reliably get lucky.

Fortune’s Favored - This is pretty unusual for a Paladin. It's a common design pattern with the X's and PhB Paladins to give oath spells and channel divinity at level 3. I would drop this entirely personally.
    I know that's a thing, but if I were to play a luck character, I wouldn't want to have to multiclass to get guidance, which seems like a staple. It's not combat-based either, so I think I'll keep it for the flavor it adds to the subclass, and 3rd is the best level to give it.

Kismet - Okay, completely gut feeling here. However I'm worried that this would break the bounded accuracy model and you would never again fail a saving throw in your carrier. I would look at some other level 1 spells that would be fitting. Detect Poison and Disease, Expeditious Retreat, or do something else entirely. Maybe take the halfing luck skill?
    I feel like that's a bit dramatic since you can already cast bless on yourself anyways. Now you just don't have to concentrate on it and can target another person when you do cast bless, making you a better tank and support, which is the whole theme of the subclass. I compared it to devotion's getting protection from good and evil all the time, and phrased it the same way. I feel like bless is on par with that, if not worse. Situation dependent, of course.

Perfect Luck - Look to tone this down some. The crit point seems powerful but fine. The +3 to AC combined with your other skills and spells is a little much, and an automatic roll of 12 seems like a little much. Maybe if you change out the shield spell and shield of fortune you can just do the +3 to AC and increased crit chance.
    Fair points, but I think I'll be taking Vogie's advice and reworking the feature a little to make it more interesting and not so numbers-based.

I really like Lucky Aura and Kismet
    I'd like Perfect luck to be more than just expanded crits a roll floor and +3 AC. Lets see something strange and amazing!
    It doesn't say how often you can use your capstone
    Thank you, I thought they'd be interesting.
    That's a good point, it does seem very bland as is. I'll try to improve it!
    Oh, good catch, I did not see that.

Update: I changed the 20th level feature a bit. I bumped the auto-roll down a smidge, ditched the AC bonus, and added some defense/utility things to help slip out of a tight situation.
    Last edited by Icecaster; 2019-03-10 at 12:08 PM.
    Oh, hi

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I recently posted a subclass on the main thread, but I did it at something like midnight on a whim and would like some help with balancing it, because I have a hard time judging its capabilities right now. The Way of the Chance Dancer, a monk subclass that is currently at the bottom of the thread.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beloved of the Dice is complete. I wanted to make a core mechanic that is useful for everyone, unique, flavorful mechanics for each class, and show a little love to those brave enough to multiclass. Balance was...less of a priority. Feedback welcome.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I just now noticed that we're allowed to create a subclass for a homebrew class, so I adjusted the Gambit feature to work with my Further Revised Ranger homebrew class, which already gives advantage on initiative.

If anyone has any notes or questions on the Longshot conclave, I always want feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Icecaster View Post
    Update: I changed the 20th level feature a bit. I bumped the auto-roll down a smidge, ditched the AC bonus, and added some defense/utility things to help slip out of a tight situation.
    It looks really good. I like how those who miss you are cursed with Three-Stooges-Style hijinks.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Titan in the Playground

I just started trying to find or homebrew 5e Domains to fill some of the glaring conceptual holes for various common deity "archetypes", and the first one that came up was Luck, in part because of this guy.

Great minds or something, I guess.

So, I'm reading these threads with quite a bit of interest.
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2019-03-11 at 06:23 PM.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

16. - Top - End - #376

Quote Originally Posted by superninja109 View Post
    To sengmeng's "Beloved of Dice" universal subclass:

This is very ambitious, and I like the idea, but it seems needlessly complex.

The core mechanic of luck dice seems really weird. Basically, whenever you roll the maximum amount on a die, you can store it and add it to a roll, but if it is a d20, you don't add it but instead gain advantage, but only on other d20 rolls.
    Doea anyone else feels this way? "Needlessly complicated," but that was a one sentence summary that perfectly explained it. The reasoning is that adding a d20 to damage rolls is something I can't really figure out the balance of, and just granting advantage with a max roll on any die makes something like magic missile incredibly powerful. Plus, the subclass interacts with advantage in a lot of ways, and advantage already works within the rule system, so I'd rather do that than add a d20 to a d20.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    Doea anyone else feels this way? "Needlessly complicated," but that was a one sentence summary that perfectly explained it. The reasoning is that adding a d20 to damage rolls is something I can't really figure out the balance of, and just granting advantage with a max roll on any die makes something like magic missile incredibly powerful. Plus, the subclass interacts with advantage in a lot of ways, and advantage already works within the rule system, so I'd rather do that than add a d20 to a d20.
    I think it could be cleaner, but it's quite ambitious - it's effectively a Prestige Class that everyone can take, that tries to connect with at least 2 of their existing class abilities. That's wild

One idea is to actually remove the d20s. Maybe the Beloved of Dice replaces all d20s with 2d10s, turning every roll into a bellcurve while removing the ability to nat 1. You could then have a half-advantage by changing your 2d10 to 3d10 (instead of advantage, which gives 4d10)

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Finally got the druid Circle of Omens outlined. I'm not sure on the power level right now (it tends to be high cost and high risk, and I'm not sure the rewards keep up), but I'll work on that as I finish the other Omens that can be learned. I should also be able to either tomorrow or early next week get feedback on all the other entries so far, which I've been putting off because I'm a procrastinator and also so I can do them in a large batch.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Finally got the druid Circle of Omens outlined. I'm not sure on the power level right now (it tends to be high cost and high risk, and I'm not sure the rewards keep up), but I'll work on that as I finish the other Omens that can be learned. I should also be able to either tomorrow or early next week get feedback on all the other entries so far, which I've been putting off because I'm a procrastinator and also so I can do them in a large batch.
    A big concern I have is that the entire subclass is removed off of a single bad 50/50 chance roll.

Consider it against something like Moon Druid, who can often afford to use their subclass feature for a full hour, scouting, fighting, and performing various skills. It only needs to use a single resource because there's multiple actions they can perform with it.

On the flipside, your Omen on a failed coin toss either buffs an enemy or removes the entire subclass until another Short Rest. It is high risk, but it's high risk without player intervention. Reckless Attack is High Risk, High Reward, but actually *reduces* random chance by using Dis/Advantage. The player knows exactly what they're risking by using it. Similarly, Augury has a chance to fail, that the player knows about, which is why it can be cast as a Ritual (so that the player isn't actually losing a resource).

Losing playability and responsiveness because of something that you can't control or prevent can be a frustrating thing to deal with. It'd be one thing if this was a mechanic of some kind of frustrating boss that the team has to deal with once, but this is the *best* case scenario until level 14.

Perhaps allowing the Druid to force it to change to the other side by spending both Wild surges would be good, followed by just a minor down tuning of all the omens. It's also a bit hard to strategize with. Rather than some kind of ability that forces the team to adapt their tactics (akin to something like a Glamour Bard's buff), the team has no idea what kind of benefit is coming, or what to do about it.

Another way you could go about it is changing it into some kind of battlefield changing effect, like a massive aura that modifies the entire fight. Like giving everyone Flight, or reducing everyone's speed by 20, or causing everybody to not be able to see anything past 20 feet in front of them.

Lastly, it's pretty hard to track several things that all require various looksups. Take a look at the Battlemaster. If you know the name of the maneuver, you pretty much know everything you need to. Riposte, on an enemy miss, lets you attack and add a die to damage. Precise attack adds the die to your attack roll. Reaching strike gives you reach and die in bonus damage. It all follows a straightforward formula that is easy to memorize, and you know exactly what each of them are going to do.
    In your Sky Omen example, there are about 2 effects per side of it, with both effects being relatively odd and hard to remember, and the Woe side using Saving Throws. And that's one Omen, which is determined by a 50/50 chance.

I love the idea of a Druid of Omens, but it's a little too random, and requires a bit too much lookup, I think.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-03-15 at 12:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

20. - Top - End - #380
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hi!
    I had time to finish my College of the Bold. It tries to give the player the feeling of being bold and the option to push their luck in dangerous situations. The inspiration for it came from the idiom "Fortune favors the bold". Also, I didn't want luck or fortune to just feel like either chaos in line with the Wild Sorcerer, or just being slightly more consistent on skill checks and attack rolls. Any critique would be welcome!

I had another idea for a subclass that was based around having a deck of 20 cards (1-20 on the cards) that you would draw cards from instead of rolling a d20. The deck is only reshuffled once you had drawn all cards. You would have features that let you modify and scry the deck. The idea was that it would feel a bit like karma and gambling but I didn't manage to make it feel like luck so I abandoned it for now. I might try to pick it up later again.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-03-15 at 08:51 AM.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    Hi!
    I had time to finish my College of the Bold. It tries to give the player the feeling of being bold and the option to push their luck in dangerous situations. The inspiration for it came from the idiom "Fortune favors the bold". Also, I didn't want luck or fortune to just feel like either chaos in line with the Wild Sorcerer, or just being slightly more consistent on skill checks and attack rolls. Any critique would be welcome!

I had another idea for a subclass that was based around having a deck of 20 cards (1-20 on the cards) that you would draw cards from instead of rolling a d20. The deck is only reshuffled once you had drawn all cards. You would have features that let you modify and scry the deck. The idea was that it would feel a bit like karma and gambling but I didn't manage to make it feel like luck so I abandoned it for now. I might try to pick it up later again.
    Nice job getting it in just before the deadline :)

Bonus Proficiencies - Prof in Concentration Saving throws is a little different. I'm not against it, but just not a normal phrasing.

Fortune’s Returning Favors - Clarity question. Does the double damage/countering only happen if you use a bardic inspiration or whenever you use your reaction? It's a little vague.

In the Face of Danger - I would add a rider in that "if you hit, it counts as a critical hit" That way when you are against someone who you can't hit with an 18 it's clear.

An interesting subclass, high danger, higher rewards. I would worry a little bit about Fortune Favor's the Bold being overpowered, especially with spells but that would need to be seen in play testing.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nice job getting it in just before the deadline :)

Bonus Proficiencies - Prof in Concentration Saving throws is a little different. I'm not against it, but just not a normal phrasing.

Fortune’s Returning Favors - Clarity question. Does the double damage/countering only happen if you use a bardic inspiration or whenever you use your reaction? It's a little vague.

In the Face of Danger - I would add a rider in that "if you hit, it counts as a critical hit" That way when you are against someone who you can't hit with an 18 it's clear.

An interesting subclass, high danger, higher rewards. I would worry a little bit about Fortune Favor's the Bold being overpowered, especially with spells but that would need to be seen in play testing.
    Thanks! Updated those three to make them a bit more clear.

I don't think it will be to overpowered with spells. There are very few spell attack spells in the bards spell list.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-03-15 at 10:19 AM.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

A big concern I have is that the entire subclass is removed off of a single bad 50/50 chance roll.
    I'm inclined to agree, largely because you only ever have 2 wild shape uses per short rest... that doesn't change. However, there's a decent fix - Make the class resemble the land druid.

You invoke your Omens using spell slots (effects scaling with spell slot used), but then use wild shape uses to choose the other side of the coin. That will increase the power of the class, but you're stuck with the 2 "reflips" per short rest, at the cost of your Wild Shape utility. You'd have to change Omen Twister, though.

Fatecaster and Omensight are fine.

I like it, but it looks like it's a bit too narrow:
    Fortune’s Returning Favors is a neat ability, but it's odd for a Bard - they don't have damaging spells for the most part. It could be interesting to cast Hold Person, for example, as a reaction, but the wording that it requires an attack roll means they can't even use Vicious Mockery. Also, spells with a range of touch also include "make a melee spell attack" in their spell text, IIRC, so that'd be covered under "melee attack". Maybe some reworks and narrow it down to what specifically you want.

In the Face of Danger, on the other hand, is TOO narrow. You could redeem it by expanding your crit range even further (maybe even 16 or 17-20) while you have disadvantage for any reason. Then, if you crit, then have it not only removed Frightened, but also the Poisoned and Restrained conditions (or any other conditions that provide disadvantage that don't include being blinded or incapacitated).

Ballad of the Boldest Fools is tied into the frightened thing as well, although I like that you're moving the bard abilities around. Maybe expand that a bit, and have any ally that has a bardic inspiration die from you also be able to use the Countercharm action. Thus, you're not locked into only providing countercharm (anti-frightened & anti-charm) in a 30ft area, but also donate that ability to other people in the party, spreading the love around larger areas, and give your allies some added function (give a non-ranged character something to do against a dragon's frightful presence, or give a blaster caster a utility spell)

24. - Top - End - #384
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I like it, but it looks like it's a bit too narrow:
    Fortune’s Returning Favors is a neat ability, but it's odd for a Bard - they don't have damaging spells for the most part. It could be interesting to cast Hold Person, for example, as a reaction, but the wording that it requires an attack roll means they can't even use Vicious Mockery. Also, spells with a range of touch also include "make a melee spell attack" in their spell text, IIRC, so that'd be covered under "melee attack". Maybe some reworks and narrow it down to what specifically you want.

In the Face of Danger, on the other hand, is TOO narrow. You could redeem it by expanding your crit range even further (maybe even 16 or 17-20) while you have disadvantage for any reason. Then, if you crit, then have it not only removed Frightened, but also the Poisoned and Restrained conditions (or any other conditions that provide disadvantage that don't include being blinded or incapacitated).

Ballad of the Boldest Fools is tied into the frightened thing as well, although I like that you're moving the bard abilities around. Maybe expand that a bit, and have any ally that has a bardic inspiration die from you also be able to use the Countercharm action. Thus, you're not locked into only providing countercharm (anti-frightened & anti-charm) in a 30ft area, but also donate that ability to other people in the party, spreading the love around larger areas, and give your allies some added function (give a non-ranged character something to do against a dragon's frightful presence, or give a blaster caster a utility spell)
    I think Returning Favors might be to strong if there are no limits on what spells you get to cast but it was probably to strict. Mordekainen's Sword is the only spell on the bard spell list that it would apply to. Also thanks for pointing out my miss with touch spells.

I changed In the Face of Danger to be usable under any disadvantage. I chose to keep the removal of fear a it is more of a ribbon for the subclass.

Reworked Ballad of the Boldest Fools loosely based on your suggestion. I had forgotten about Countercharm. It feels unneccesary to grant immunity to frightened when you already have the ability to grant advantage against it. I rewrote the ability so that Countercharm is a bonus action when you are at less than half hit points and that countercharm also lets your allies use Fortune's Returning Favors.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-03-15 at 01:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

I think Returning Favors might be to strong if there are no limits on what spells you get to cast but it was probably to strict. Mordekainen's Sword is the only spell on the bard spell list that it would apply to. Also thanks for pointing out my miss with touch spells.

I changed In the Face of Danger to be usable under any disadvantage. I chose to keep the removal of fear a it is more of a ribbon for the subclass.

Reworked Ballad of the Boldest Fools loosely based on your suggestion. I had forgotten about Countercharm. It feels unneccesary to grant immunity to frightened when you already have the ability to grant advantage against it. I rewrote the ability so that Countercharm is a bonus action when you are at less than half hit points and that countercharm also lets your allies use Fortune's Returning Favors.
    I was really, really confused by that quote for a while. I didn't remembering typing anything in that at all (that being said, I've had some pretty serious meds recently after a lovely string of illnesses). However, I'm glad to know it was an odd typo instead of me losing my mind. Vogie said that, not me :)
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I was really, really confused by that quote for a while. I didn't remembering typing anything in that at all (that being said, I've had some pretty serious meds recently after a lovely string of illnesses). However, I'm glad to know it was an odd typo instead of me losing my mind. Vogie said that, not me :)
    Sorry! I accidentally did something wrong with the quote... =S

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm inclined to agree, largely because you only ever have 2 wild shape uses per short rest... that doesn't change. However, there's a decent fix - Make the class resemble the land druid.

You invoke your Omens using spell slots (effects scaling with spell slot used), but then use wild shape uses to choose the other side of the coin. That will increase the power of the class, but you're stuck with the 2 "reflips" per short rest, at the cost of your Wild Shape utility. You'd have to change Omen Twister, though.

Fatecaster and Omensight are fine.
    That's a good idea for a solution. I'll see if I can't figure out a spell slot version of it this week.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessWriter View Post
    As for other people's things, Kingsluger's gambler looks pretty good, but I do worry about the wonky spellcasting. the main problem is that the number of spellslots is based on the proficiency bonus. Even if you don't get the higher level slots it's pretty powerful to have six 1st level spell slots a short rest from only taking a single level in warlock. Paladins and sorcerers will be thrilled (or even moon druids who like the healing as an elemental). A more minor concern is the chance of having as many as four 5th level slots at 9th level, potentially throwing out two spells upcasted to 6th level by a 10th level warlock. I like the idea of the mechanic, but I'm worried that it could swing between wildly powerful and a new version of the 15 minute adventuring day ("Hey, guys, let's hold back a little longer, I got a bad draw"). Overall an interesting idea, but there's a few minor issues that need addressed. Maybe you draw cards until they reach a point total based on your level, discarding a card that makes you go over that total? Looking at the sorcerer to figure out how many points you should have and how many points each card should be might work for that.
    Changed it up to be the amount of spell slots a warlock normally would have +1. You still have the problem of someone trying to take another rest to get a better draw but I'm not totally sure how to handle that beyond telling that player no, they would not benefit from another short rest. That being said I'm not too worried about having as many as 4 level 5 spell slots at 11th (previously 9th) due to how unlikely a draw like that is and the spell school restrictions heavily discouraging someone from casting the same spell more than once.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, in accordance with feedback from MOG and Vogie, I did another pass at the Omen druid. Omens now consume spell slots and are much simpler (having a universal effect of boosting/penalizing dice rolls, plus an easily recorded secondary effect specific to each omen). Fatecaster got reworked (now always allows the spellcasting, with the spell slot consumption being shared between Omen and spell, but at reduced value). Omensight unchanged. Omen Twister now reduces the effect of the omen if you use it.

I'm considering allowing the Druid to use their reaction to negate a Weal omen bonus (without consuming the charge), in a mirror of Woe allowing the druid to use their reaction to force an omen penalty. Thoughts?

I'll do review for half of the posted subclasses tomorrow (Tuesday), and half Wednesday, by post order. 11 entries other than my own is too much for one sitting.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #390

BlueKnightGuy

Y'all, I really wanted to do a Leprechaun Patron but I think we generally have too many warlock patrons in these competitions as it stands. Therefore, behold my Destiny Domain! Instead of just being luck-based, why not name your fate?

I'm pretty pleased with it overall, though any feedback on the "timing" / use counts of various abilities is certainly up for discussion. Also not sure if the 2nd and 6th abilities should both be CDs, though to me it (obviously) feels like they should.
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"