New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Suggestion
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Suggestion
    Oath of the Legion: I clarified some wording about spell slots and auras overlapping, made Veteran Ally spellcasting a Bonus Action, made Veteran Ally Divine Smite a Bonus Action (but you can order multiple Veteran Allies to Divine Smite) and allowed the paladin to redirect damage from their Veteran Allies to themselves down to level 7. Besides clarity, this should make them less "paladin nova" and prolong the summoned construct's lifespan a bit.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Added two spirit types to boon of legion and gave two others an improvement at level 14.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just modified the shadow knight. I removed mark of darkness and its 'charges' and reworked the rest of the subclass to work without it. I bumped up the base uses of shadow soldiers a little bit to compensate, capping out at eight shadow soldiers a short rest at 20th level, but you have to expend two of these uses to summon a shadow giant. So at 20th level you can summon a comfortable fighting force of four shadow soldiers and two shadow giants that takes a total of four actions to summon, and occasionally a dragon may be thrown in too. keep in mind, those are four actions where your fighter is not making attacks himself, and most fights don't last very long so by the time you and all your summons are all attacking at once the battle may already be over, unless you want to expend all your resources on a single fight to get them all out in two turns.

I also added a little text on shadowtouched that lets you use the shadow soldiers as expendable scouts.

The main reason I don't think having so many summons is overpowered is because of the action economy being so tight. Compared to Animate Dead your summons are pretty needy since it takes a bonus action every turn to command the shadow soldiers but animate dead lets you give its minions an order and then you just have to sit back for however long it takes them to do it. And while the possibility of summoning them in advance is real, plenty of battles won't be expected and those first few actions will be occupied to get your army going.
    You also have to remember that most of the time you won't summon the full army all at once in case you get in another fight before your next short rest.
    If you still think it's a problem I could probably just reduce all the summons' duration to put more pressure on the shadow knight to save up resources.

Also, I have a few more theme ideas.
    A Bard Did It: subclasses with unusual heritages. Draconic druids, fey monks, and fiendish barbarians.

Kneel, Peasants!: evil overlords galore. Bards that cow the masses with grand displays of power, wizards who summon forth dark hordes from their ominous tower, and rogues who rule an empire of assassins and spies in the shadows.
    Last edited by SleeplessWriter; 2019-08-24 at 11:51 PM.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

4. - Top - End - #844
    Bugbear in the Playground

New Entry! Warlock Patron, Teratomarakh, Anarch Core. PEACH. I'm altogether uncertain how balanced the Seed of Chaos is. But I like the idea of hordes of exploding oozes and crazy chain reactions.

Hmm, theme ideas...how about isolation? Either you need some space around you, you isolate your enemies, or something altogether more metaphysical.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-08-26 at 03:08 AM.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phhase View Post
    PEACHING
    Request, change the yellow color. Yellow against white is nearly impossible to read

You are giving a lot of abilities at level 1, I think to much personally. Yes, warlocks have a tendency to be frontloaded in published material, but I think you have given to much. One of the two abilities (or a massively reduced seed of chaos with Chaos Curse, would be plenty to make this a fun character and not be overpowered). If you wanted to make the Seeds of chaos grow in power at 6th level instead of the lvl 6 ability that would be fitting to me. There are also a lot of random things going on here (random damage types, random elemental damage, random direction), I see no problems with all that, but I would put in charts so that the DM doesn't have to write them.

Seed of Chaos - At first I thought this was way, way overpowered, but then I read more carefully. 2 times per long rest and an action to activate does tamp down the power. There are a few things with this ability that could use a touch up though. The 15% chance of missing is a little wonky and could serve to slow down the game some. I would actually look at giving disadvantage instead to work within the normal confines of the game and avoid extra re-rolls.

Adding 1d4 to spells and attacks will make EB almost silly powerful later in the game. So, a well placed EB with hex will do 1d10+1d6+1d4+cha mod damage per hit and you could hit with 4 of them? That ends up being a lot of damage per hit (even crazier if you are a Sorlock and you also quicken EB during the same turn).

The bullet about HP instead of the spell slot is the most problematic. 1 HP for a cantrip is pointless since we aren't limited to the amount of cantrips we can use. Otherwise, you get WAY to many spells available to a warlock. With a good healing (especially one with Healing Spirit) you can drop spells at max level constantly and never think about it.

As for the last bullet, I don't see what it even does. They are infected with chaos energy, but what actually happens to them when they are? Looks like you define what this does later on. You should reference that here

Overall, I would look at dropping the blood cost to get extra spells bullet completely. Then, to make it more standard with most Warlock abilities make it 1 per short rest instead of 2 per long rest. Then a suggestion on what could make it more chaotic in general, have the Seed of Chaos last a number of round equal to a percentile dice rolled (so it would be anywhere from 1 round to 10 minutes). Sure that would be more work tracking for the player, but it would a fun fit into the theme.

The Chaos Curse - There is a lot going on here and the formatting needs to be cleaned up slightly. That being said... I would reduce the blindness to 1 round instead of two, especially since you can bag of rats these things. I see these things being super effective early on, but being almost useless later on in combat for anything other than the self destruct ability. In looking at the new Invocations, you are really getting into dangerous territory for the bag of rats being overpowered.

Devour Chaos - Fails bag of rats test completely since you are gain HP not temp HP. I would suggest dropping this completely and adding instead the abilities removed from Seed of Chaos here.

Portalwake - This would be a nightmare for a DM to deal with, but so, so fun in game as the PC :)

Anarch's Rage - Looks pretty cool, I don't see anything here that needs adjusted.

Overall thoughts here. There are definitely some balance issues that need to be tamed down and a few abilities that fail the bag of rats test and need to be touched up. Also, I feel like all the abilities are all combat based and there isn't much in the social or exploration tier of the game. The summoning of chaos and thriving on it is really cool. I like the theming significantly more than the Chaos Sorcerer since you get more control over it verses the DM calling for surges. It looks like in it's final form it would be an absolute blast to play!
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

6. - Top - End - #846
    Barbarian in the Playground

The 15% chance of missing is a little wonky and could serve to slow down the game some.

The bullet about HP instead of the spell slot is the most problematic. 1 HP for a cantrip is pointless since we aren't limited to the amount of cantrips we can use. Otherwise, you get WAY to many spells available to a warlock. With a good healing (especially one with Healing Spirit) you can drop spells at max level constantly and never think about it.
    I am going to back both of these.

Again, I'm biased, but I despise flat miss chances. The D&D people got an unnecessarily nasty letter from me when a 3rd Edition wind walking party used the "80% invisible" with no qualifiers to sneak up on an ancient dragon in the middle of an open field. Unbreakable "XXX% something happens" mechanics have always rubbed me the wrong way. In 5th Edition, whether you are gaseous or incorporeal, you still take damage from magic weapons just fine. Force attacks routinely hit such targets, too. I don't see why this defense is more powerful than both.

And yes, the most dangerous thing about replacing spell slots with hit points is how easy it is to get hit points back. Since cure wounds is a 1d8 per spell level, it's a perpetual magic machine if the warlock multiclasses, since it's double the spell levels restored as used. And vampiric touch could be almost as bad.

Please reconsider. I hate to give advice...that's a lie, I love to give advice, but we're competing in the same contest. Might I suggest:
    1) Replace the 15% miss chance with a Reaction, +3 AC vs a nonmagical attack.
    2) When you cast a spell without a spell slot, you get XXX "ooze points" per spell level. If your "ooze points" equals your hit points, you are unconscious. If your "ooze points" exceeds your hit points, you're dying. "Ooze points" are cleared during a short rest.
    or
    2) When you cast a spell without a spell slot, your maximum hit points drop by XXX per spell level.

Cure wounds sets XXX to 4.5 on average.

7. - Top - End - #847

Request, change the yellow color. Yellow against white is nearly impossible to read

You are giving a lot of abilities at level 1, I think to much personally. Yes, warlocks have a tendency to be frontloaded in published material, but I think you have given to much. One of the two abilities (or a massively reduced seed of chaos with Chaos Curse, would be plenty to make this a fun character and not be overpowered). If you wanted to make the Seeds of chaos grow in power at 6th level instead of the lvl 6 ability that would be fitting to me. There are also a lot of random things going on here (random damage types, random elemental damage, random direction), I see no problems with all that, but I would put in charts so that the DM doesn't have to write them.

Seed of Chaos - At first I thought this was way, way overpowered, but then I read more carefully. 2 times per long rest and an action to activate does tamp down the power. There are a few things with this ability that could use a touch up though. The 15% chance of missing is a little wonky and could serve to slow down the game some. I would actually look at giving disadvantage instead to work within the normal confines of the game and avoid extra re-rolls.

Adding 1d4 to spells and attacks will make EB almost silly powerful later in the game. So, a well placed EB with hex will do 1d10+1d6+1d4+cha mod damage per hit and you could hit with 4 of them? That ends up being a lot of damage per hit (even crazier if you are a Sorlock and you also quicken EB during the same turn).

As for the last bullet, I don't see what it even does. They are infected with chaos energy, but what actually happens to them when they are? Looks like you define what this does later on. You should reference that here

Overall, I would look at dropping the blood cost to get extra spells bullet completely. Then, to make it more standard with most Warlock abilities make it 1 per short rest instead of 2 per long rest. Then a suggestion on what could make it more chaotic in general, have the Seed of Chaos last a number of round equal to a percentile dice rolled (so it would be anywhere from 1 round to 10 minutes). Sure that would be more work tracking for the player, but it would a fun fit into the theme.

The Chaos Curse - There is a lot going on here and the formatting needs to be cleaned up slightly. That being said... I would reduce the blindness to 1 round instead of two, especially since you can bag of rats these things. I see these things being super effective early on, but being almost useless later on in combat for anything other than the self destruct ability. In looking at the new Invocations, you are really getting into dangerous territory for the bag of rats being overpowered.

Devour Chaos - Fails bag of rats test completely since you are gain HP not temp HP. I would suggest dropping this completely and adding instead the abilities removed from Seed of Chaos here.

Portalwake - This would be a nightmare for a DM to deal with, but so, so fun in game as the PC :)

Anarch's Rage - Looks pretty cool, I don't see anything here that needs adjusted.

Overall thoughts here. There are definitely some balance issues that need to be tamed down and a few abilities that fail the bag of rats test and need to be touched up. Also, I feel like all the abilities are all combat based and there isn't much in the social or exploration tier of the game. The summoning of chaos and thriving on it is really cool. I like the theming significantly more than the Chaos Sorcerer since you get more control over it verses the DM calling for surges. It looks like in it's final form it would be an absolute blast to play!
    >Yellow
    Yeah =P. Ok. Wish it wasn't so bright though.

>Overloaded Level 1, +1d4 Madness, 15%
    Yeah I might have overdone it a little. The idea here was to create a spell-zerk mode. That, and give the caster the option to go full mad-with-power mode and burn away themselves in exchange for more spells. Consumed by power, as you will. What if the cost was triple the slot level? Remember, the all warlock slots are max level, so you have to pay more and more as you become more powerful. Perhaps if you pay health and a slot for every spellcast, but once out of slots, you can use slot level*3 instead? And yeah, the bit about cantrips is there so you don't just hold down the Eldritch Blast button (Though the current version is badly worded). Perhaps you pay just your current slot level in HP for cantrips?

An alternative is to make healing less effective on you while in spell-zerk mode. That way, there's a good reason to have two uses rather than one.

A second alternative is to pay max HP/short rest as the blood cost instead.

You're right about the % miss. You could roll a d6 and on a one the attack misses, but disadvantage is more elegant. I just cribbed that from the Teratomorph entry.

Yeah, yeah, magic missile, eldritch blast, etc. etc. You're right. That wasn't my intention, but I want spells to be more powerful as well as more costly in spell-zerk mode. I'll add a "Once per attack/spell" stipulation.

>Formatting of Chaos Curse
    Yeah I'll move the last bullet to Chaos Curse.

>Bag of Rats
    By "Bag of Rats" test, you mean carrying around a bag of rats to kill with EB in Seed mode to refresh your stock of Sludges, right? Be a bit more specific on how this abuse case works, I seem to have missed this memo. I should probably add that you can never have more than your maximum number of spell slots at any one time though. Also, I should note that fused Sludges still count as more than one Sludge for summon max purposes. Speaking of, thoughts on invocations anyone?

>Devour
    What's the difference between THP and HP in this case? Honestly I was thinking about it being THP but blanked on why one would be different from the other. However, you have reminded me that there is some redundancy here. Devouring to gain hp is pretty similar to Devouring to get a spellslot, because you can convert HP into slots. I do like the idea of "Harvesting" the chaos energy, but you're right, it need tweaking. And perhaps Devour can only be used while Seed is active.

>Portalwake
    Keheheheh. I may add the option to avoid this via Acrobatics check.

Yeah, I kinda leaned on the combat focus of Warlock here. I thought it fit more with the raw chaos theme. If you want to be chatty, there's Archfey and Great Old One. That said, that does make the Cha scaling a bit of an artifact. Not sure. I definitely wanted to break the "Did someone say 'Chaos?' GuESs iTs wIlD SurGE tIEm!!1" mold though.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I am going to back both of these.

Again, I'm biased, but I despise flat miss chances. The D&D people got an unnecessarily nasty letter from me when a 3rd Edition wind walking party used the "80% invisible" with no qualifiers to sneak up on an ancient dragon in the middle of an open field. Unbreakable "XXX% something happens" mechanics have always rubbed me the wrong way. In 5th Edition, whether you are gaseous or incorporeal, you still take damage from magic weapons just fine. Force attacks routinely hit such targets, too. I don't see why this defense is more powerful than both.

And yes, the most dangerous thing about replacing spell slots with hit points is how easy it is to get hit points back. Since cure wounds is a 1d8 per spell level, it's a perpetual magic machine if the warlock multiclasses, since it's double the spell levels restored as used. And vampiric touch could be almost as bad.

Please reconsider. I hate to give advice...that's a lie, I love to give advice, but we're competing in the same contest. Might I suggest:
    1) Replace the 15% miss chance with a Reaction, +3 AC vs a nonmagical attack.
    2) When you cast a spell without a spell slot, you get XXX "ooze points" per spell level. If your "ooze points" equals your hit points, you are unconscious. If your "ooze points" exceeds your hit points, you're dying. "Ooze points" are cleared during a short rest.
    or
    2) When you cast a spell without a spell slot, your maximum hit points drop by XXX per spell level.

Cure wounds sets XXX to 4.5 on average.
    The hard % miss is a thing I stole directly from the Teratomorph statblock. The "reason" it sort of "Just works" is because the substance of the creature is so volatile, there's a chance the part of the creature being struck at simply doesn't exist at that instant. This, however, can be countered with Dimensional Anchor, a spell that I now indignantly realize doesn't exist in 5e (It should!). But yeah, I can sympathize with your hatred of hard % Nopes. That "80% invisible" thing just sounds like invisibility from Oblivion, which is stupid.

1) I see where you're coming from, but that just sounds like Shield. I prefer the idea of disadvantage from the previous poster. Gonna change the % though, for sure.
    2) I'm considering making healing harder during Seed of Chaos, yeah. The Ooze points thing is a bit fiddly though.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-08-27 at 07:58 PM.
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

8. - Top - End - #848

Updated Warlock Patron - Teratomarakh, Anarch Core

Added damage type table.

Seed of Chaos spell slot mechanics and miss chance changed. Added self-DOT. May still be too powerful? Not sure.

The Chaos Curse now only converts creatures of Small size or larger into Scintillant Sludges. Hopefully averts Bag of Rats.

Sludges can now break out of polymorph effects and glow in the dark. Blind duration lowered.

New Invocation: Clinging Chaos - Basically gives Sludges Improved Grab.

Devour Chaos completely changed. Now 1/short rest and lets you eat Sludges for a glass shield. Shield can be spent to empower an attack.

Doubled down on chaos potential of Portalwake, but made certain not to get too wild.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-08-27 at 11:43 PM.
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ettin in the Playground

>Overloaded Level 1, +1d4 Madness, 15%
    Yeah I might have overdone it a little. The idea here was to create a spell-zerk mode. That, and give the caster the option to go full mad-with-power mode and burn away themselves in exchange for more spells. Consumed by power, as you will. What if the cost was triple the slot level? Remember, the all warlock slots are max level, so you have to pay more and more as you become more powerful. Perhaps if you pay health and a slot for every spellcast, but once out of slots, you can use slot level*3 instead? And yeah, the bit about cantrips is there so you don't just hold down the Eldritch Blast button (Though the current version is badly worded). Perhaps you pay just your current slot level in HP for cantrips?

An alternative is to make healing less effective on you while in spell-zerk mode. That way, there's a good reason to have two uses rather than one.

A second alternative is to pay max HP/short rest as the blood cost instead.
    In another comment it was suggested that you pay with Max HP instead of just straight HP. If you want this feature, this is the way I would go personally. Then there is a sacrifice that can really hurt the player instead of having it made completely moot by temporary HP and healing spells. If you do this make sure you define that the PC gets the max HP returned to normal leaves at the end of a long rest.

Yeah, yeah, magic missile, eldritch blast, etc. etc. You're right. That wasn't my intention, but I want spells to be more powerful as well as more costly in spell-zerk mode. I'll add a "Once per attack/spell" stipulation.
    This should nerf it enough to make it perfectly fine.

>Bag of Rats
    By "Bag of Rats" test, you mean carrying around a bag of rats to kill with EB in Seed mode to refresh your stock of Sludges, right? Be a bit more specific on how this abuse case works, I seem to have missed this memo. I should probably add that you can never have more than your maximum number of spell slots at any one time though. Also, I should note that fused Sludges still count as more than one Sludge for summon max purposes. Speaking of, thoughts on invocations anyone?

>Devour
    What's the difference between THP and HP in this case? Honestly I was thinking about it being THP but blanked on why one would be different from the other. However, you have reminded me that there is some redundancy here. Devouring to gain hp is pretty similar to Devouring to get a spellslot, because you can convert HP into slots. I do like the idea of "Harvesting" the chaos energy, but you're right, it need tweaking. And perhaps Devour can only be used while Seed is active.
    Yes, basically being able to activate a feature over and over again by simply carrying around a bag of rats. My concern was that you are encouraging a PC to find a way to kill off low CR beasts and other things to refresh the amount of sludges that are available. It's not as big of a deal when you are just talking about the sludges, but when you get the self destruct feature and the healing feature it becomes a problem.

When I was reading the bigger sludge piece, I was thinking that it only counted as 1 sludge when 2 combined into a bigger one. If it is considered 2 still it does alleviate some of my concerns there.

The difference between HP and THP is that THP doesn't stack. So, if I have 5 THP remaining and another source gives me 6 THP, I end up with a total of 6 THP (6 replacing 5) instead of them adding together. This is usually the way that 5e handles gain HP on death features over flat out healing HP.

For invocations:
    Chaos Singularity - Make sure you say that these combined sludges still count as 2 sludges not one.
    Soulburn - That really adds to the chaos feel of the PC and the subclass and is a cool ability. I am not sure why, but my gut says it should be a level 9 ability instead of 7. I really don't know why, especially since Maddening Hex is only a level 5 ability and is similar to this. So, feel free to ignore that thought.

These will add substantially to the character and the feel you are going for. I really like them.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-08-28 at 08:10 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

10. - Top - End - #850

Vote thread when?
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ettin in the Playground

Vote thread when?
    Set to be posted today, but with the US holiday or may be tomorrow instead.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ogre in the Playground

Vote thread when?
    I normally build these in the morning but was traveling until very late last night. I'll post it this evening (look for it in the next couple hours).

EDIT: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...6#post24124476

Voting thread is up! Come vote here!
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-09-02 at 08:47 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post

3. Circle of Pocket Monster- Yes, I gotta catch'em all. This would have been my top pick but I didn't fall in love with the mechanics.
    I'm a little curious what you didn't like about the mechanics in it. What part did you find cludgy or not working? Sure it's to late for the contest, but I still would love to hear an opinion here or through PM to see if it needs touch ups.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-09-04 at 06:59 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

14. - Top - End - #854

Daemon

I may be thinking of an earlier draft but does it state when the creature acts? Does it roll its own initiative? It follows your directions, does that cost an action?

It seems like you put a lot of effort into making it follow the Pokémon pattern of creature types, mechanics, etc, but that makes the level 10 feature feel wildly out of theme.

Just spit balling but a short list of “special attacks” for creature types like “Healing Spores” and “Elemental Breath” and “Mega Punch” would have been neat at level 10. Or something that lets the creature move differently... I don’t know.

I’m usually not too shy with critique but I stayed quiet this time around because I’ve written so many pet classes and subclasses I didn’t want every post to seem like “that sounds really cool, now gut it mechanically cuz I’d do it this way.”

In all honesty I was pretty impressed by several of these.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    I may be thinking of an earlier draft but does it state when the creature acts? Does it roll its own initiative? It follows your directions, does that cost an action?

It seems like you put a lot of effort into making it follow the Pokémon pattern of creature types, mechanics, etc, but that makes the level 10 feature feel wildly out of theme.

Just spit balling but a short list of “special attacks” for creature types like “Healing Spores” and “Elemental Breath” and “Mega Punch” would have been neat at level 10. Or something that lets the creature move differently... I don’t know.

I’m usually not too shy with critique but I stayed quiet this time around because I’ve written so many pet classes and subclasses I didn’t want every post to seem like “that sounds really cool, now gut it mechanically cuz I’d do it this way.”

In all honesty I was pretty impressed by several of these.
    Thanks, I honestly do appreciate the comments. So many things are forgotten and not discovered until true playtesting.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

Only a couple days left to vote, and it looks like Bladecloak Rogue by RickAsWritten has a commanding lead with 14 points. Way of the Gemini is solidly in second place with 10, and third place is a tie between Hive Conclave and Circle of the Pocket Monster.

We're still missing votes from sengmeng, Nicrosil, and Vogie from the contest participants, and of course anyone watching is welcome to vote as well. Our next theme looks like it will be Points for Everybody! though it's still possible for Keep it Simple to pull ahead.

EDIT: How do people feel about a contest theme where the requirement is that you base your entry off of a piece of homebrew (either making a subclass for a standard class that uses a homebrew system, creating a subclass for a homebrew base class, or building a subclass around a homebrew spell, item, or monster)? I'd probably call it Homebrew Helper.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-09-13 at 05:08 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ogre in the Playground

Votes are tallied, and we have our winners!

In 3rd place, we have a tie between nickl_2000's Circle of the Pocket Monster and MoleMage's Hive Conclave both with 6 points! If you want to capture beasts and fey, or think what your archer really needs is a beehive grenade, we've got you covered.

In 2nd place, with 13 points, is Vogie's Way of the Gemini! For when one monk just isn't enough, make yourself a speed clone simulacrum.

And our winner with 16 points, RickAsWritten's Bladecloak Rogue! Throw some knives, then some more knives, and then yet more knives, and when you think you've thrown as many knives as you can, throw even more knives!

Thanks as always to everyone who entered! We had a lot of good entries this month it was fun to read.

Our next contest, with 11 points in voting will be Points For Everybody! Get your spell points, your ki points, your sorcery points, or make up entirely new points! Our runner-up for theme was Keep It Simple, Stupid so it will be automatically included in the next voting pool.
    I've tallied our votes and we had a pretty commanding top two. Keep your eyes open for the next contest shortly!

EDIT: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-For-Everybody!
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2019-09-16 at 04:29 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

Would it be too stupid for me to make a subclass where you win points by doing cool **** (score a crit, kill a monster, etc) and the number of points you've accumulated gives you bonuses?
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theVoidWatches View Post
    Would it be too stupid for me to make a subclass where you win points by doing cool **** (score a crit, kill a monster, etc) and the number of points you've accumulated gives you bonuses?
    I wrote a subclass about a wizard who bounces spells off of people like a pinball and it won.

Go for it, it doesn't sound too stupid to me at all.

Congrats to all the winners!
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #860
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I've tallied our votes and we had a pretty commanding top two. Keep your eyes open for the next contest shortly!

EDIT: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-For-Everybody!
    Thanks everyone! I love this positive, creative online community, and these contests are often the highlight of my month. I spend WAYYYYYY too much time brainstorming, writing, and hand-wringing about the contests.

21. - Top - End - #861

Daemon

Points...

Combo King Fighter or Shadowthief Rogue...

22. - Top - End - #862
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm gonna do the score-based subclass. It'll be themed around the idea of playing to the crowd.

I haven't decided yet whether it'll be a bard subclass (default bonus is probably adding your point total to bardic inspiration rolls), a rogue subclass (possibly bonus damage to sneak attacks?), a sorcerer subclass (bonuses for spells) or something else. Whatever the case, you'll get increasing passive bonuses as your score rises and will probably be able to spend them as well. The exact bonuses will depend on the base class, but the total amount you can have will probably be limited by your level (I'm thinking it'll be the same scaling as proficiency, but linked to class level instead of character level so avoid multiclassing shenanigans - it might also be just directly linked to class level, to allow for higher scores and more spending).

Possible bonuses: Gain temp HP equal to score every round, gain advantage on one attack per turn (would be a high-score thing, particularly for rogues), add your score to damage once per turn, increase your skill checks by your score, increase your AC by your score as a reaction.

Possible spend options: Spend to increase the damage of a spell or attack by 1d6 or 1d8 per score point spent, spend to increase your attack roll or spell save DC by 1 per score point spent, spend as though they were sorcery points, trade in a few to regain spent bardic inspiration.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

23. - Top - End - #863

Daemon

So Combo King Fighter

I’m tempted to give them martial arts so you can make a boxer....

L3 Combinations-
    Spoiler
    Show

Your successive attacks allow you to set up foes for powerful techniques. This is represented by Combo points. Each time you successfully hit a target you gain a combo point. Combo points remain until the end of your next turn. When you take the attack action you can spend combo points to execute a Finisher. Finishers are enhanced attacks you make with that action. This includes attacks you Ready.

If you miss with an attack roll while you have combo points, the combo points are lost.

Finishers are tied to types of weapons and are detailed below.

Iron Muscle/Iron Hide- beginning at level 3 you can base your unarmored ac off your strength or Con instead of Dex. You can wield a shield and keep this benefit.

Iron Fist- beginning at 3rd level your unarmed attacks deal 1d4 bludgeoning and can be based off your strength or Dex. Your unarmed attacks count as weapons for all two weapon fighting purposes. This increases to d6 at 5th, d8 at 11th, and d10, at 17th.

L7- Feint-
    Spoiler
    Show
    as a bonus action you can make a deception check against a creature’s passive insight. On a success the creature has disadvantage on a save they make against the next Finisher you perform before the end of your turn.

L10 Rival School-
    Spoiler
    Show
    you get a rival. The first time you lose combo points because you missed an attack, they are held in reserve. If you are reduced to 0 hit points your Rival appears in an empty space within 20 feet of you at the beginning of your next turn, deriding you for your weakness. Your Rival has identical attributes, skills and abilities to your own but may wield a different weapon. Your Rival will spend your turn moving to execute a Finisher against a target of your choosing using the Combo points you previously lost before announcing they’re the only one allowed to defeat you. At the end of your turn your Rival disappears and you regain 1 hp.

If you do not use this benefit, your Rival appears before your next long rest to trade blows, using the Finisher on you. If you are reduced to 0 hp they call you pathetic, if you survive the attack they give your respect, begrudgingly.

Your Rival will appear once and you must complete a long rest before they’ll appear again. If your Rival is somehow slain you lose the benefit of this feature until you have them restored to life or gain a level at which point you’re challenged by someone anew

L15- Eye of the Champion-
    Spoiler
    Show
    when you are hit by a melee Attack you can use your reaction to determine the attacker’s Attack bonus, Current hit points, if they have another form of attack you haven’t seen (but not what it is), and alignment.

L18- Gigasmash-
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can have a Finisher deal max damage. You must complete a short rest before doing it again.

Thoughts about the level 7, 10, and 15 features? I’ll have some Finishers up soon.

Finishers
    Spoiler
    Show

Save DC is Str or Dex based
    Combo Point Costs
    Weak- 1
    Medium- 2
    Strong- 3
    Finishers do not generate combo points

Polearms. (spear, staff, trident included)
    Spoiler
    Show

Weak- Skewer: your thrust penetrates the target dealing a grisly injury when removed. +Proficiency Necrotic damage
    Medium- Wide sweep: sweep weapon in 10ft cone each creature hit must succeed on a Dex Save or be knocked prone
    Strong- Driving thrust: move up to your speed in a straight line. All foes in path must make a save

Heavy weapons
    Spoiler
    Show
    (gAxe, gSword, maul, gClub)
    Weak-
    Medium- Iron Tornado: make an Attack against each hostile creature in reach, creeps you hit need to make a strength save or be pushed 10 feet.
    Strong- Earth Shattering Blow- on a hit you generate a 10 ft radius sphere shockwave centered on your target. The target and creatures other than you in area make a Str save or take 3d8 Thunder damage and be knocked prone.

Blades (one handed swords and daggers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Weak- Signature Slash: this Finisher requires no attack roll. It deals your Proficiency bonus in slashing damage. you carve an initial into the garb or flesh of your foe and the target has disadvantage on attacks against creatures other than you until the beginning of your next turn.
    Medium- Devil’s Elbow: a successful attack stabs the target in the foot reducing their speed to 0 until the end of your next turn. If you release your weapon, you can immediately make an unarmed attack against the target.
    Strong-

Bludgeons (hammers, club, and mace)
    Spoiler
    Show

Weak- Bouncing Bludgeon, your Weapon gains a range of 15/30 and returns to your hand after the attack.
    Medium-
    Strong-

Axes (hand and battle and great)
    Spoiler
    Show

Weak- haft hooking swipe- on a hit the target must succeed on a Str save or lose a held object which falls to the ground in your space.

Medium- Buried Axe- on a hit you can release the weapon leaving it buried in the target. The target can use its action to remove the weapon dealing the weapon’s damage dice as Necrotic damage. A successful Dex Save vs your Finisher DC avoids this damage. If the target does not remove the weapon, their speed is halved and they suffer your Proficiency bonus in Necrotic damage for each action they take until it’s removed.

Strong- Skull Splitter: on a hit the target must make a con save or suffer a random effect. These effects end of Heal, Regeneration, or a Wish are used.
    1 Lose an Eye- disadvantage on perception or blind if having only one eye
    2 lose a nose- disadvantage on social rolls and smell perception
    3 lose all teeth- disadvantage on social rolls and bite attacks deal half damage.
    4 Brain Damage- the target rolls a d6 and subtracts the result from all attacks and ability rolls until they complete a long rest.

Ranged (all)
    Spoiler
    Show

Weak-
    Medium-
    Strong-

Whip, Chain, Flail, Rope, and Net...
    Spoiler
    Show

This assumes the rope or net is being used as an improvised weapon.

Weak- Thunderous Crack- the distracting crack and snap of your weapon forces enemies within reach to tread carefully. This Finisher requires no attack. Until the beginning of your next turn creatures that move within your reach without disengaging take your Proficiency bonus in slashing and thunder damage.

Medium- Choking Hazard- on a hit the target is grappled. Until the grapple ends or the end of your next turn whichever comes first, the target has disadvantage on concentration saves and must make a concentration save vs your Finisher DC to cast a spell with verbal components.

Strong- Hog Tie- on a hit the target is grappled. If your release your weapon you can make an immediate shove attempt against the target. On a success the target is knocked prone and restrained. On their turn they can use an action to make a strength or Dex check against your Finisher DC to escape.

Fists of Brutality
    Spoiler
    Show

The Fist of Brutality finishers are compatible with spiked gauntlets, brass knuckles, and other brawling aids.
    Weak- Furious Strikes: a series of light rapid blows become unavoidable, less concerned with dealing damage than cornering your target. This Finisher requires no attack roll. It deals your Proficiency bonus in bludgeoning damage and the target’s speed is halved until the beginning of your next turn.

Medium- Northern Cross: on a hit this savage blow places an enemy on their heels and unprepared for allied attacks. Until the beginning of your next turn, damage rolls against the target gain a bonus equal to your Proficiency bonus.

Strong- Ragdoll: on a hit the target is grappled, until this grapple ends or the end of your next turn, whichever comes first) you can wield the target as a weapon you are proficient in. The target deals 1d8+Str damage if medium, 2d8 if large, 4d8 if huge. On a hit both the grappled creature and target take the damage of the attack. You must be able to lift the target to use this benefit.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-09-17 at 09:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So I spent way to much time on work today to write up my take on the way of the four elements. I think it currently is in a weird space. It is partially very different from the original class but at the same time it might be to close and just getting a lot of options for burning points on spells might not be so fun (and feels like a cheap implementation of the class).

The central mechanic of the subclass is the loops of the elemental bands. You have 5 pools of points arranged in two different loops. Certain actions push points around these pools. You will push points (preferably tokens as it is easier to visualize) around this mapping of your elemental bands and based on where the points currently lie, you have access to different powers. As it is done right now, you will always have at least one point left since you need to have as many points that you can push in addition to the amount that you spend. Through this, you will always be able to get the a small bonus just by pushing the last point around the bands. Hopefully that prevents the class from feeling useless.

I think the core mechanic of this seems interesting, but when I added the higher level powers to the sub-class, it just started to feel the same as the original class I was trying to work away from with this.

25. - Top - End - #865

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post
    So I spent way to much time on work today to write up my take on the way of the four elements. I think it currently is in a weird space. It is partially very different from the original class but at the same time it might be to close and just getting a lot of options for burning points on spells might not be so fun (and feels like a cheap implementation of the class).

The central mechanic of the subclass is the loops of the elemental bands. You have 5 pools of points arranged in two different loops. Certain actions push points around these pools. You will push points (preferably tokens as it is easier to visualize) around this mapping of your elemental bands and based on where the points currently lie, you have access to different powers. As it is done right now, you will always have at least one point left since you need to have as many points that you can push in addition to the amount that you spend. Through this, you will always be able to get the a small bonus just by pushing the last point around the bands. Hopefully that prevents the class from feeling useless.

I think the core mechanic of this seems interesting, but when I added the higher level powers to the sub-class, it just started to feel the same as the original class I was trying to work away from with this.
    Sounds interesting... I don’t know if it would be out of contest theme to make this your Ki and have passive Elemental powers or just access to X powers for investing (not spending) Ki in the rings.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

First draft of the Spellbound barbarian is up! I still need to write up the metasurge abilities (and find a better word for it besides metasurge...). It's pretty much just normal metamagic, so there'll be stuff that enhances the range of the blast, gives enemies disadvantage on their saves, excluding specific creatures, etc. Maybe some more unique stuff as well, like designating creatures that will gain HP equal to the dice roll, or a short distance teleport after you use the surge, like a rocket jump.

I'm not sure how to scale how many Surge Points you get though. Kind of following the precedent that third casters like the Eldritch Knight, you could get more points at 7th, 13th, and 19th level. I could also scale it like a cantrip, with bonuses at 5th, 11th, and 17th level. The Ancestral Guardian path 6th level feature gets buffed at 10th and 14th level, while the Storm Herald's 3rd level feature strangely scales every 5 levels...

I'm hesitant on the 6th and 14th level features. Just giving identify and detect magic at 6th level feels kind of weak, but counterspell feels pretty powerful, even if it does end your rage prematurely. At the same time, the 14th level ability is just kind of... boring...

Also
    Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
    Paladin with photosynthesis
    I am very curious about this.

27. - Top - End - #867

Well, I made the Great Dragon as a warlock patron. Basically you're a warlock with a smattering of sorcerer. It does everything I want it to do, but it's kind of... light.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nice that people have some ideas up and running already.

A few first initial comments.

BerzerkerUnit, rival might be the funniest feature I have seen written in a long time. It feels so much anime or something. I could see Gary in Pokemon just doing this to screw with you.

Nicrosil, at 20th level barbarians have unlimited rages. Is there another limit on counterspell or is it fine that they can cast it on every turn? I would argue that level 20 is somewhat broken for most classes balancewise so it might not matter but it is worth a thought.

Sengmeng, are you keeping the metamagic list as it is or will you add or modify it? Only being able to use 2 metamagic options that cost 3 per long rest at level 20 is rather... limiting? It might not hurt to give them a cheaper list(maybe other options) or increase how many points they gain. That said, warlock subclasses usually don't add too much to the class so it might be fine as is.
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-09-17 at 11:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

First draft of the Barbarian Path of the Bloodied is on here and ready to be ripped apart. I will try and get some initial comments out a little later today.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

30. - Top - End - #870