New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

You are missing what I am pointing at. I am not focusing on the order of bonus attacks and such.

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Combo Points
    Your successive attacks allow you to set up foes for powerful techniques. This is represented by Combo points. Each time you successfully hit a target you gain a combo point. Combo points remain until the end of your next turn. When you take the attack action you can spend combo points to replace one of the attacks granted by that action with a Finisher. You may also spend the points to Ready a Finisher.

If you miss with an attack roll while you have combo points, the combo points are lost.

The Finishers you can perform are dependent on the type of weapons you are wielding. Rules for finishers are detailed below.

Iron Muscle/Iron Hide- beginning at level 3 you can base your unarmored ac off your strength or Con instead of Dex. You can wield a shield and keep this benefit.

Iron Fist- beginning at 3rd level your unarmed attacks deal 1d4 bludgeoning and can be based off your strength or Dex. Your unarmed attacks count as weapons for all two weapon fighting purposes. This increases to d6 at 5th, d8 at 11th, and d10, at 17th.
    The bold section, says that you can only spend combo points when you take the attack action. The TWF bonus action is not part of the attack action and can therefore not replace its attack with a finisher. In addition, since you need to spend the points when you do the action, not the attack, you cannot spend points gotten in the same turn on attacks that are part of the same attack action.

Replacing the bold part with the following would fix what I am pointing at:
    When you make an attack, you can spend combo points to replace that attack with a Finisher.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

It seems I’m not making myself clear and I’ll try and rectify that.

Twf says “when you take the attack action on your turn”, I’ve never in the history of 5e seen a dm insist the attack action attack/s be made before the bonus action attack granted by twf. So the same reasoning and interpretation of RAW is intended here. You say you’re going to attack, that’s “taking the attack action” vs “when you have taken the attack action.”

I’d also like to point out, your attack action lasts for the entirety of your turn as supported by how you can move attack, move attack, and move again all in the same round at level 1. So extrapolating you could move, attack, spend points, Finish, and move again falls within those parameters.

To really zero in, I Very specifically, I do not want Finishers used as AoOs and I do not want finishers executed as bonus actions. I want them limited to attacks made on your turn ie, the ones made as part of the attack action. TWF already gets a buff on point generation, I don’t want it to be further superior with number of possible Finishers. That may change as I continue to test and develop the subclass.

Better wording might be “you can spend combo points to execute a Finisher instead of a normal attack when you make an Attack as part of the attack action on your turn.” that seems needlessly verbose. I also said I’d be taking another pass at the language soon.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-10-01 at 02:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #933

Changes made to Oath of the Enshaedn:
    Tweaks to the wording of Crawling Darkness, and misc. upcasting formats.

Your Shade well now scales by level. You can spend extra Shade to make spells harder to resist.

Added some more utility to Shadowsight, extended the potential duration.

The Shadow Within and Shadecasting (Shade-only casts) are a little more more flexible.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

4. - Top - End - #934

Daemon

I'm in the process of moving the combo king to pdf.

A lot of edits, notably I've changed the name to Shikensu Warrior, combo points are now called flow. Mechanically very little has changed.
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2019-10-06 at 08:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: Way of the Elemental Bands 2 Electric Boogaloo
    Show
    Very nice! It's a lot cleaner now, though I'm confused about the line "You can only use one elemental power on an attack and you may only use one strike in each of your turns." Are strikes just the abilities that have the word strike in them? Are elemental powers the other abilities stances grant then?

Spoiler: Oath of Light
    Show
    Looks fun! I did a double take with the Channel Divinity options, until I remembered Paladins only get one Channel Divinity per rest . For Hurling Smite, what exactly constitutes a smite spell? Is it any spell that has smite in it's name, only those that you have prepared, or something else? Also, with Burning Aura, when do creatures take damage? Is it when you use your bonus action to extend it? Overall it looks fun and unique; it feels like it would play differently from a normal Paladin, but that's not a bad thing!

Spoiler: Fighter Archetype: Shikensu Warrior
    Show
    Oh dang, fun martial classes are my weakness. I love the flow subsystem; I just wish there were more finishers for other weapons, like unarmed strikes or bows. The 10th level feature is a bit strange though. Personally, I would tweak it so that once per rest, you can make a free lesser Finisher without spending flow as a reaction before you're downed, and scale it up to heavy and devastating. No complaints with the rest of the subclass though!

Spoiler: Oath of the Enshaden
    Show
    I find it very amusing that we got a light and a shadow based paladin this round . It's very flavorful, though I'm hesitant about using Shade points to boost spell DC, or setting DC's based on a damage roll. I don't know if it would be an issue in actual play, but it's making me do a bit of a double take.

Spoiler: Otherworldly Patron: the Great Dragon
    Show
    I like this a lot! It's a sorcerer stuffed into a warlock, but that's not a bad thing. I would definitely play this given the chance! Sorcerous Talent says you need 5 sorcery points, but it doesn't specify a source, so does it work if you multiclass with a normal sorcerer? I don't think it's an issue if it does; a small bonus to your sorcery points isn't going to break anything, especially since the warlock gets it slower than a sorcerer.

Spoiler: Fighter Archetype: Guilder
    Show
    Very neat; it's kind of like a pseudo-Artificer! It does feel very video game-y; spending a full round to buy an item kind of stretches my suspension of disbelief, but it's no big deal.

Spoiler: Druid: The Circle of Eyes
    Show
    I like this a lot! You've captured a very lovecraftian feel without making you turn into a squid. Divination suits a druid very well. I would definitely play one given the chance.

Spoiler: Martial Archetype – Irradiated
    Show
    Very flavorful! I like how you've turned the points system on it's head. Some of the abilities aren't party friendly, but it's not that hard to work around. All in all, looks like fun!

6. - Top - End - #936

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Nicrosil View Post
    ]

Spoiler: Fighter Archetype: Shikensu Warrior
    Show
    Oh dang, fun martial classes are my weakness. I love the flow subsystem; I just wish there were more finishers for other weapons, like unarmed strikes or bows. The 10th level feature is a bit strange though. Personally, I would tweak it so that once per rest, you can make a free lesser Finisher without spending flow as a reaction before you're downed, and scale it up to heavy and devastating. No complaints with the rest of the subclass though!

[R]
    Thanks, I’m glad you like it! The Rival element is a reflection of the subclass’ roots in Shonen Fight Manga and Fighting Games. As for more finishers, the ranged finishers are intended to work with bows and the Fists of Brutality are intended to work with Unarmed strikes. If that isn’t clear I’ll have to revisit the language.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Oath of Light
    Show
    Looks fun! I did a double take with the Channel Divinity options, until I remembered Paladins only get one Channel Divinity per rest . For Hurling Smite, what exactly constitutes a smite spell? Is it any spell that has smite in it's name, only those that you have prepared, or something else? Also, with Burning Aura, when do creatures take damage? Is it when you use your bonus action to extend it? Overall it looks fun and unique; it feels like it would play differently from a normal Paladin, but that's not a bad thing!
    Thanks edited
    My limited homebrew experience
    oh hey didn't see you there

8. - Top - End - #938
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by BerzerkerUnit View Post
    Thanks, I’m glad you like it! The Rival element is a reflection of the subclass’ roots in Shonen Fight Manga and Fighting Games. As for more finishers, the ranged finishers are intended to work with bows and the Fists of Brutality are intended to work with Unarmed strikes. If that isn’t clear I’ll have to revisit the language.
    Okay ya turns out I'm a fool and didn't see that there were pages beyond the blades finishers. I redact my previous statements.

Also, made some tweaks to the Spellbound barbarian, mainly making Tearing Surge activate after you teleport.
    Last edited by Nicrosil; 2019-10-10 at 04:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I updated the Irradiated Fighter based on a lot of the feedback. Thanks to all who gave notes. Sorry for the last minute revision. Been a busy few weeks.

I feel pretty good about most of it, but I'm most unsure about the new addition of Radiation Sickness. I'm not sure if the feel/balance is quite right for that bit.

Martial Archetype - Irradiated

10. - Top - End - #940

Spoiler: Oath of the Enshaden
    Show
    I find it very amusing that we got a light and a shadow based paladin this round . It's very flavorful, though I'm hesitant about using Shade points to boost spell DC, or setting DC's based on a damage roll. I don't know if it would be an issue in actual play, but it's making me do a bit of a double take.
    Haha, thanks Nicros. Yeah, it tickled me too. Happened completely by accident. I think the Nightnail attack DC might be ok. Weapon base damage goes up to 12, and your str bonus goes up to +5, so 17 is about the max DC, UNLESS you blow a smite, which, admittedly, will pretty much guarantee it. Although, you'd need a second greatsword or greataxe, since you gotta leave the Nightnail one in the ground. I totally get if feels outta left field though, 'cause it pretty much is.
    Last edited by Phhase; 2019-10-13 at 01:32 PM.
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright folks, thanks for keeping this contest running! I had a whole bunch of RL stuff come up so I'm sorry I didn't get to my customary feedback or making an entry, but you all didn't let that slow it down one jot.

Voting thread is now open for Contest XI! http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...4#post24202064
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

The guilder is meant to emulate Dragon Kill Points form vanilla WOW, they we a flawed system that pervaded all guilds. I would have given more but, the potential for items can be terrifying. Saying the item is at the DM discretion is because magic times have varying availability based on setting. TBH if you DM abuses this and makes you worse for taking it they are a bad DM and I don't know why you put up with them.

If you have never see the dots video from vanilla I can't express enough how priceless it is.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2019-10-14 at 10:39 AM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

13. - Top - End - #943
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Any updates as to when the next one will be up?

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000
    I'm tabulating since MoleMage mentioned that there was a lot going on

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd Points
    Bard: College of Plautus theVoidWatches 1 0 1 4
    Monk: Way of the Elemental Bands Fnissalot 1 0 1 4
    Barbarian: Path of the Bloodied nickl_2000 1 2 0 7
    Paladin: Oath of Light thisdude9001 0 0 2 2
    Fighter: Shikensu Warrior BerzerkerUnit 0 0 1 1
    Barbarian: Path of the Spellbound Nicrosil 1 2 0 7
    Paladin: Oath of the Enshaedn Phhase 0 1 1 2
    Warlock: Great Dragon Patron sengmeng 1 0 0 3
    Fighter: Guilder Lanth Sor 0 0 0 0
    Druid: The Circle of Eyes SleeplessWriter 1 2 1 8
    Fighter: Irradiated RickAsWritten 2 1 1 9

Looks like:
    1st: RickAsWritten: Fighter: Irradiated
    2nd: SleeplessWriter: Druid: The Circle of Eyes
    Tied for 3rd:
    Nicrosil: Barbarian: Path of the Spellbound
    nickl_2000: Barbarian: Path of the Bloodied

Theme Description 1st 2nd Points
    Keep It Simple, Stupid Simple Subclasses 1 1 3
    From Zero to Hero Ordinary folks doing the extraordinary 0 0 0
    Scaling Strangely Subclasses that scale from unusual values 2 0 4
    Subsystems Online New game mechanics 0 3 3
    It's Mind! Subclasses focused on mental abilities 3 2 8

Next Contest:
    1st: It's Mind!
    2nd: Scaling Strangely
    Thanks to nickl_2000 for sending me a formatted tabulation of the contest. Our winners this time are Nicrosil and nickl_2000 in a tie for third with their respective barbarian paths, SleeplessWriter in second with the Druid Circle of Eyes, and in first is RickAsWritten with the Irradiated Fighter! Congrats to our winners. The next contest (It's Mind!) should appear shortly.

Sorry about the delay on the new contest, I'm still getting back into my stride.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ettin in the Playground

Congratulations everyone on the wins and the good entries.

Time for me to start brainstorming once again
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

16. - Top - End - #946

Daemon

Brainstorming for It's Mind!

Firestarter- the Pyrokinetic Barbarian
    (maybe combine these)
    Carrie- Telekinetic Barbarian

Sorcerous Origin: Mediumship

Calculator Rogue: some kind of "sacrifice sneak dice for wild magic" with percentile dice worked in

Circle of the Dreamshaper- maybe some kind of Eberron inspired Kalashtar Druid

Dread Domain- GOO Cleric

Fighter Archetype: The Rival- possibly too close to the Shikensu Warrior. A grappler/unarmed fighter. Gain "Confidence" when you succeed on an opposed check (like grapple) enjoy a passive benefit or Gamble Confidence for an Exploit which is likely to be some pro wrestler/pokemon stuff (like leaping into the air and falling so fast the opponent bursts into flames). Might look into Egyptian myth for some inspiration.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl
    Paladin: Oath of Light thisdude9001 0 0 2 2

Paladin: Oath of the Enshaedn Phhase 0 1 1 2
    Crazy how we both got the same amount of points

18. - Top - End - #948
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Ugh, I should finish my class for the base class competition...

I am thinking a barbarian that enters a state of flow and mental focus instead of rage, slowing down it's perception of time and calculating stuff like probability, causality, and trajectory etc on the fly while "raging". Path of bullet-time algebra?

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thisdude9001 View Post
    Crazy how we both got the same amount of points
    Crap... clearly I didn't math very well when I did that. My apologies for getting the overall points wrong on those two. I checked the top ones carefully to make sure, and thought I did the rest. Clearly I didn't.

Just one more reason why I don't run these competitions.
    Last edited by nickl_2000; 2019-10-30 at 10:51 AM.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

20. - Top - End - #950
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Crap... clearly I didn't math very well when I did that.
    Honestly just realized that they got more points then me.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

My entry is up. My absolute favorite mind-mucker of a monster is the inspiration for this warlock patron. So let me introduce...

Warlock: Otherworldly Patron – The Nilbog

It's a first pass, and I wrote it pretty quickly, so please let me know if anything is way out of line. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Path of the flow zone is also up. Will fix some flavor text to it during the weekend.

The Nilbog patron
    The spells are nice and thematic.

Reversal of fortune looks slightly too strong. In practice it can prevent 4 times as much damage as the fiend patron's similar ability per use and it will be easier to trigger it. Fiend's Dark one's blessing can trigger more times per day but I don't think the warlock will be the one dealing the killing blow regularly enough. Nilbog also gets two extra cantrips at level 1. Having it equal to warlock level + charisma instead of 2*warlock level + charisma and either prevent the damage or getting the temp. hp would be enough.

Emanate nilbogism could probable be reduced to 30 feet and still be very strong? It might also be too strong to have it both trigger on causing saves and attacking as well but since it requires concentration that should not be an issue.

Fear and low things. Nice and thematic!

Greater Nilbogism pushes two very strong abilities even stronger and removes any counterplay against the aura effect.

Way of the Stilled Tide
    Overall very clean (which I like), might be a little bit on the weak side before the capstone. Knowledge is power and Perfect Clarity are nice and thematic but the class brings little otherwise. I would buff winding rivers a little as I value reaction attacks pretty low and this one is very circumstantial; give that attack a little extra damage (like roll the damage dice twice and use the highest) or make it more likely to hit (like the attack deals some of the damage even if it misses).
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-10-31 at 03:53 AM.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Updated the Nilbog Patron

Quote Originally Posted by Fnissalot View Post

The Nilbog patron
    Thanks for the feedback. You were right it was a little on the strong side overall. I nerfed some stuff and move others around.

Spoiler: Way of the Stilled Tide
    Show
    Solid and effective but a little plain. It could use something to give it a more thematic flair. I love Shatter the Mind. That was a good idea.

Spoiler: Path of the Flow Zone
    Show
    I like all the abilities and the theme, but I'm not sold that Flow Zone is the right name. Path of Computation? Path of Analysis? I love the thrown weapon bonus and the calculating nature of Third Law.

For Master of Causality, I'm a little confused by the verbiage. If you are using your reaction to make an opportunity attack, aren't you already making a melee attack against the creature who's turn it is?

24. - Top - End - #954

My entry, the Jedi Fighter Archetype, is up.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

First draft of Dreamwalker Monk is up!

Anyway, for feedback:

Spoiler: Nilbog Patron
    Show

Very nice concept - 10/10 for that. But, it's still a bit too strong, I think
    • The first level feature seems about the right power level.
    • The 6th level feature is very powerful - most Warlock 6 features give the opportunity to avoid one thing (e.g. giving disadvantage on a single attack roll or a bonus to a single save) per rest. This gives you the opportunity to avoid every attack in a round, for a whole minute, every rest.
    • The 10th level feature seems a bit too weak - not weak enough to make up for the strength of the other features though.
    • For the 14th feature, can you cast multiple Tasha's Hideous Laughter, and concentrate on all of them? That should be clarified. Either way, it's also a bit too powerful - even one Tasha's Hideous Laughter as a bonus action is powerful, and being able to turn off damage for one attack per round for a full minute per rest is also really strong.

Personally, I think the power level would be okay if the sixth level feature was once per long rest, or 1 round per rest, if you wanted to keep everything close to as-is.

Spoiler: Stilled Tide
    Show

The Stilled Tide seems to hit a pretty good level of power. It's features skew towards simple and passive, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but a little bit of punching up could be done (though I skew towards complex subclasses, so take that with a chunk of salt so massive it can no longer be reasonably called a grain )
    • The third level features are solid. I like having the choice between Flurry of Blow's two unarmed attacks or Patient Defense + 1 unarmed attack. Expertise in two skills on top of that might be a bit much but probably won't break anything.
    • The 6th level feature decent. On average, it amounts to +20% ki points at most (realistically less, if you're spending more than one ki point per round).
    • The 11th level feature seems good, but slightly bland.
    • The 17th level feature offers solid defensive benefits - powerful, but not too bad by the standards of 17th level.

Spoiler: Flow Zone
    Show

It's a cool idea, but the class features don't quite gel, in my opinion - I think the focus of the subclass should be a bit tighter.
    • The third level AC bonus could probably use some work - I like the idea of a bonus to AC, but keying it to Intelligence is difficult because barbarians already need two ability scores to have decent AC (plus Strength), so I feel like in play this won't amount to more than a +1, or +2 at most (the same could be said for the amount of uses for the sixth level feature).
    • The third and sixth level features aren't bad, but they don't really mix well with the rest of the class or subclass. The barbarian has enough tanking features that, combined with the fact that melee weapons deal more damage than thrown weapons, it doesn't really feel like there's a reason to use thrown weapons over melee weapons most of the time - and if you're not using thrown weapons, then the sixth level feature and half the third level feature aren't being used. If you want a larger focus on thrown weapons, I'd recommend making the features for them more powerful, so there's more incentive to use them more often.
    • The search action boost is fine.
    • The last feature, does it allow a second opportunity attack when making an opportunity attack? Getting an extra attack with your reaction is fine (the berserker gets something similar already), but getting a melee boost seems... counter-intuitive, when two of your class features focus on ranged weapons.

Spoiler: Jedi
    Show

A mash-up of Battlemaster Fighter and Monk, with some ranged maneuvers thrown in (which, to be fair, pretty much sums up a jedi ).
    • The force powers are solid overall, though you might want to add level requirements - it's a little weird that you can get powers for you lightsaber, before you get your lightsaber I really like the control option of being able to do things like shove and grapple at range.
    • Psychic strike might be a bit too powerful - the comparable battlemaster maneuver only prones. Jedi fate might be a bit too powerful, as well, since it's basically a bard's main class feature, but useable more often and with bigger numbers at first, ending up with equal numbers and still useable nearly as many times, and more versatile since it can be used to mess with enemies in addition to empowering allies.
    • Lightsaber Sever is weird, but dismemberment is going to be weird no matter what in D&D, so taking it out or leaving it in is mostly a matter of personal taste. Jedi Premonition overlaps a lot with Force Block, and Force Lightning could probably afford to be buffed a bit.
    • Unarmored Defense and Lightsaber are side-grades more than upgrades - flavorful, but don't impact balance too much.
    • Jedi Reflexes and Jedi Mind Trick are very simple, but I think that's okay when the force powers provide plenty of options - though I'm a little upset you passed up the chance to make the mind trick into a suggestion-based force power.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RickAsWritten View Post
    Spoiler: Path of the Flow Zone
    Show
    I like all the abilities and the theme, but I'm not sold that Flow Zone is the right name. Path of Computation? Path of Analysis? I love the thrown weapon bonus and the calculating nature of Third Law.

For Master of Causality, I'm a little confused by the verbiage. If you are using your reaction to make an opportunity attack, aren't you already making a melee attack against the creature who's turn it is?
    It is inspired by the mental state called "flow" which is often refereed to as being in the zone. I agree that the name is not perfect but I think computation and such focus on the wrong parts of it? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

I will look over the wording, the intent is that you get an extra attack when you opportunity attack and one attack when you do the defensive reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrawrawr View Post
    Spoiler: Flow Zone
    Show

It's a cool idea, but the class features don't quite gel, in my opinion - I think the focus of the subclass should be a bit tighter.
    • The third level AC bonus could probably use some work - I like the idea of a bonus to AC, but keying it to Intelligence is difficult because barbarians already need two ability scores to have decent AC (plus Strength), so I feel like in play this won't amount to more than a +1, or +2 at most (the same could be said for the amount of uses for the sixth level feature).
    • The third and sixth level features aren't bad, but they don't really mix well with the rest of the class or subclass. The barbarian has enough tanking features that, combined with the fact that melee weapons deal more damage than thrown weapons, it doesn't really feel like there's a reason to use thrown weapons over melee weapons most of the time - and if you're not using thrown weapons, then the sixth level feature and half the third level feature aren't being used. If you want a larger focus on thrown weapons, I'd recommend making the features for them more powerful, so there's more incentive to use them more often.
    • The search action boost is fine.
    • The last feature, does it allow a second opportunity attack when making an opportunity attack? Getting an extra attack with your reaction is fine (the berserker gets something similar already), but getting a melee boost seems... counter-intuitive, when two of your class features focus on ranged weapons.

The subclass is intended to be thematically tight around being in the flow state(experience time as slowed down, super immersed in calculating how the axe you thrown might hit another goblin around a corner, while punching that pesky bugbear that runs past you), which, I agree, causes it to have a split in its mechanics. This barbarian is not intended to be at range at all time, but this subclass is not punished when it is. It only looses out on brutal criticals and reckless attacks, and the level 6 ability is pretty much an alternative to reckless attacks.

I would say that the defensive reaction lessens the need for dexterity, and the features for throwing extends this a bit. In addition, barbarians can still wear medium armors (which often is better early on anyway).
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2019-10-31 at 12:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #957

Thanks for prompt feedback. I think you were right on basically all of it. Changes made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawrawrawr View Post
    The force powers are solid overall, though you might want to add level requirements - it's a little weird that you can get powers for you lightsaber, before you get your lightsaber
    Done, with a caveat before the powers are described.

Psychic strike might be a bit too powerful - the comparable battlemaster maneuver only prones.
    Changed to causing disadvantage on the next attack

Jedi fate might be a bit too powerful, as well, since it's basically a bard's main class feature, but useable more often and with bigger numbers at first, ending up with equal numbers and still useable nearly as many times, and more versatile since it can be used to mess with enemies in addition to empowering allies.
    Changed to half the die roll.

Lightsaber Sever is weird, but dismemberment is going to be weird no matter what in D&D, so taking it out or leaving it in is mostly a matter of personal taste.
    Agreed, but I modeled it after the ability of the sword of sharpness, which just says "you lop off one of the creatures limbs, with the effects of such a loss determined by the DM." I guess I'll add that verbiage to the description.

Jedi Premonition overlaps a lot with Force Block,
    Changed so that an attack roll with your lightsaber replaces your AC or saving throw for force block, with psychic damage backlash on the caster if you succeed. Premonition unchanged.

and Force Lightning could probably afford to be buffed a bit.
    Added 1d12 damage on top of the total of the dice.

Unarmored Defense and Lightsaber are side-grades more than upgrades - flavorful, but don't impact balance too much.
    Lightsaber got a little added ability of being able to call it to you and also the amount of time to create one and a limit of two per jedi. Oddly, the most benefit this feature might give you is you can finesse a greatsword or halberd or glaive.

Jedi Reflexes and Jedi Mind Trick are very simple, but I think that's okay when the force powers provide plenty of options - though I'm a little upset you passed up the chance to make the mind trick into a suggestion-based force power.
    Added suggestion to Jedi Mind Trick at 18th level.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

28. - Top - End - #958

Soulweaver Wizard archetype is up! Turns you into a martial class, akin to Bladesinger, but with lots of mobility and evasion rather than defensive options!

Feedback soon!
    Phhase he played four
    Give a dog a bone

Show

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

Monk - Way of the Telekinetic is up.

It is drafty and missing a whole lot of flavor, but the ideas of the abilities are down. Oh and the name, I hate the name and need something better.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

30. - Top - End - #960

Chimera

Managed to get Way of the Stilled Tide up pretty fast. This is my first time competing in one of these and I'm glad to participate! Any questions or comments would be much appreciated.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer