New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    I see rangers are as popular as ever. Maybe I'll do one myself, just to prove I can...
    I'm doing a ranger; it's just not finished yet.

For yours, I think I'd make Combination Attack specify your ally can make a melee weapon attack, though I do see why it's not that way. The 3rd-level features might be a little weak, though I like the theme altogether.

(Also I think your 15th-level feature is hilarious.)
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

2. - Top - End - #182

BlueKnightGuy

Hate to double-post...but did this die?
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

No I just got my weeks mixed up. I had the voting thread slated for the 17th, an adjustment I made after realizing I would be traveling on the 11th and which I forgot to update the deadline for.

Deadline extended until the 16th due to my mix-up. Get your last edits in now!
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #184

BlueKnightGuy

Okay. I was just curious. Does seem that people petered out in this thread, too--I'm sure school starting back / end of summer will have that effect.
    DM's Guild Work

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

The first two contests were like this too. Quiet as it wound down to the end, then really lively for a few days after the new one went up. But end of summer probably is a contributing factor also for students and teachers and parents.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

If anyone has any last minute advice for the Accordion Thief I'll take it :)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, uh. Is the voting thread going to be posted? Or was it already posted and I'm just dumb and missed it?
    Check out my homebrew blog, Bando's Homebrew!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbando View Post
    So, uh. Is the voting thread going to be posted? Or was it already posted and I'm just dumb and missed it?
    I had my Wisdom teeth out this week and have been a little addled. Thanks for the reminder!

Voting thread is here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...8#post23383018

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

The thread being quiet might just be a coincidence. I mean, I've just been really busy with work, plus we've been running a kickstarter as well...
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Last day for voting! Get your votes in because tomorrow the new contest thread is going up!

It's a tight race with Pathfinder Conclave in 1st by a single point and a four-way-tie for second between Way of the Sifu, Accordion Thief, Way of the Sage, and Blood Shaman.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-09-30 at 09:22 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Circle of the Conclave, on the voting thread, says it's by Ninja_Prawn, not Icecaster, it's actual creator.
    Check out my homebrew blog, Bando's Homebrew!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Plus the count isn't up to date. I'm not in the lead any more.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbando View Post
    Circle of the Conclave, on the voting thread, says it's by Ninja_Prawn, not Icecaster, it's actual creator.
    Fixed! That's my bad, I copy these tables voting thread to voting thread and I forgot to change the name on that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    Plus the count isn't up to date. I'm not in the lead any more.
    I think I missed someone's votes while tallying. Should be fixed now.

Corrected current standings: Icecaster's Circle of the Conclave in the lead with 7 points, followed immediately by Ninja_Prawn's Pathfinder Conclave with 6, then the Mutagenic Sorcerer by Vogie with 5. The Fraternity Domain, Way of the Sifu, Accordion Thief, Way of the Sage, Path of the Blood Shaman, and Grove Guardian all have 4 points, for an impressive six-way tie for 4th place.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Time to call the voting!

In 3rd place, with 5 points, is Vogie's Mutagenic Sorcerer Bloodline. Create strange plant life! Expand your spell list with Druid spells! Graft magical goo onto your allies or enemies!

In 2nd place, with 6 points, is Ninja_Prawn's Pathfinder Conclave for the Revised Ranger. Whisper secret weak points in the ears of your allies! Blaze a trail wherever you go! Block enemy arrows with your face!

And our winner of Contest III, with 7 points, is Icecaster's Circle of the Conclave. Upcast your friends' spells with your own spell slots! Summon copies of your wild shape forms! Become a fountain of fast healing for you and your allies!

In the theme votes, I don't even need to count the points, as I Read this in a Book, Once was overwhelmingly in the lead, while The Pen is Mightier will carry forward into the next round of theme voting. Keep your eyes open for the soon-to-be-posted Subclass Contest IV: I Read this in a Book, Once!
    No new votes occurred after my last tally, which made my final count easy enough today I suppose. Just getting the next contest thread formatted and it will be upon us!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with this new theme is definitely choosing what to do. 90% of my output is pop culture references and just looking at my unpublished drafts, I've got a rogue inspired by the Godfather movies, a fighter inspired by the Shadow Hearts games, a barbarian that's based on Sterling Archer from Archer, a bard loosely inspired by Final Fantasy X-2 and an incredibly random barbarian that references 100% Orange Juice among other things. I'm not sure any of them are contest winners though, so I guess I'll make up something else...

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Corrected current standings: Icecaster's Circle of the Conclave in the lead with 7 points, followed immediately by Ninja_Prawn's Pathfinder Conclave with 6, then the Mutagenic Sorcerer by Vogie with 5. The Fraternity Domain, Way of the Sifu, Accordion Thief, Way of the Sage, Path of the Blood Shaman, and Grove Guardian all have 4 points, for an impressive six-way tie for 4th place.
    Whew! That was close!
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

17. - Top - End - #197

PirateWench

Open to critique on The Heart of the Cards patron.

Design notes:

-Spell Cards was balanced against the wizard's Arcane Recovery. In terms of number of extra spell slots, it starts equal at level 1, is slightly better at levels 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 (assuming Cha 16 at 1st level, bumping to 18 at 4th), returns to being equal at level 7, becomes better at level 8 (assuming Cha to 20), is equal at 9, and is worse from there on. To compensate its power in the early levels, it has some elements of randomness and a negative effect on your action economy (you might not have the spell you want in your hand, and it burns bonus actions in combat to draw for said spell).

-A secondary balance consideration for Spell Cards was the Celestial Warlock's Healing Light. Healing light essentially allows the warlock to cast healing word a number of times equal to 1 + warlock level per long rest, with the option to upcast the spell by burning additional uses. This basically means that Celestial warlocks get 2 additional 1st level spell slots at 1st level, and gain 1 more per level, but the usage of those slots is strictly limited to healing word. Card warlocks get fewer additional 1st level slots, but much greater flexibility in what they can cast with them.

-Destiny Draw uses a 6th level spell slot because the Fiend Pact Warlock's Hurl Through Hell deals 10d10 damage to a single target, which the DMG states is the correct damage output for a homebrewed 6th level spell.
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2018-10-02 at 01:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

First iteration of the Bulwark is up in the contest thread!

Inspired by Telamonian Ajax from the Iliad and his half-brother Teucer, the Bulwark is intended to hit two design points:

1) provide defensive and offensive boosts to a ranged ally
    2) be an effective user of thrown weapons

Things I currently like:
    - Tower Shield providing three quarters cover. Remember that PCs can already use each other for half-cover.
    - Mighty Throw as a 3rd level feature, even though you won't see its main benefit until level 5. You will still have a weapon available to make opportunity attacks with, and it feels thematic.
    - Sunder Armour as a mechanic. Requires a successful attack roll, but trades doing damage for inflicting a -1 penalty to AC until the start of your next turn, giving allies a buff against that target. Just not certain about the stacking.
    - Deflection as an upgrade of the Shield Bash ability. Feels very fightery.

Things I am currently concerned about:
    - the second benefit of Tower Shield. a) should it apply to spell attacks? and b) should it be limited to Str mod per short/long rest? I feel it probably should, but then it's a feature that grants a passive benefit as well as an active one that has limited uses, which feels clunky.
    - Shield Bash: linking back to Tower Shield. Should this recharge on a long rest only? It does feel strong to use this 4-5 times per short rest, but then comparing it to maneuvers, which also recharge on a short rest, it doesn't seem that bad.
    - lack of a ribbon feature. Two active abilities in Sunder Armour and Shield Bash (two and a half including Tower Shield's reaction) seems bloated. But then again - compared to maneuvers, maybe not so.
    - Immovable Object: I am not 100% certain how strong immunity is. But advantage seems too weak for a capstone. I am thinking of dropping it back to advantage and making it the 7th or 10th level feature and reshuffling the others - though 10th and 15th would be rather late for those active abilities to come online. Maybe give this class 'hero points' or something to spend on those abilities - but then we are getting very similar to the battlemaster.

In summary, damned battlemasters!
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-02 at 02:52 AM.
    My 5E homebrew thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...omebrew-Thread

Including:

• Path of the Reaver Barbarian (kill all baddies with TWF!)
    • The Bulwark Martial Archetype (become a human shield!)
    • The Sporting Wizard (because magic is for sissies!)
    • Headhunter class (poison your weapons, scalp your enemies!)
    • Mesmer class (Int-based melee, extra reactions!)
    • Shaman class (thunderbolts and lightning!)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am going to try my best to keep up with submissions and offer feedback as they are posted, as trying to get through everybody in a mad rush at the end of the base class contest was hectic!

First up, gloryblaze's Heart of Cards patron!

Spoiler: Yu-Gi-Oh!lock
    Show

I have memories of the show and cards as a child, but I think I was too old when it came out to really get into it. Regardless, I remember the basic premise, and at a glance this subclass does a really good job of capturing that feel. Let's have a look at each feature:

Expanded spell list: really thematic, a mix between portent/strategy-type abilities and summoning.

Card Shark: a nice ribbon. I think it could probably double your proficiency bonus if you are already proficient with Sleight of Hand from a background or multiclass.

Spell Cards: a bit wordy, but I think I get the idea. You get a maximum of 5 free spell levels, that are chosen at random at the start of the day. I think you could probably get rid of the "lower of the two" clause, as it will only ever come into play in very early levels - though I guess if you roll an 18 with a Tiefling, there is a big difference there. Its a unique feature that I actually really enjoy - I know that most of my players would love the chance to make their own deck of spellcards.

Monster Card: I think this a nice ability, it reinforces the minionmancy theme, and lets you cast some of the stronger spells as an action rather than taking a minute. Elementals and demons still carry their associated risks, so it's not game-breaking.

Trap Card: there's a theme going here where I have to read everything twice - particularly that last part about only being able to play Trap Cards as Trap Cards. That's probably more a criticism of my reading ability than your wording, though. While I love the idea and feel that this would probably be great fun at the table, this is the feature that gives me the most pause, simply because there are so many different ways to use it, and therefore it is really hard to work out its balance. You'd also have to let your DM know which cards are set to which triggers at the start of each session, so it's a bit of extra book-keeping.

Whether the cost of losing the ability to use them as normal spell cards is worth the benefit of casting a spell as a reaction is highly dependent on the combination and the way the day turns out. E.g. Trap Carding Hold Person against the first humanoid to attack a friendly creature within 30 ft of you, or Misty Step when somebody rolls a melee attack against you, is probably always going to work out great.

Destiny Draw: I am sure you meant to put a once per long rest limit on this but it's currently missing. This is a powerful feature for sure, but warlock 14th-level features usually are. They do however tend to be limited in scope - either damage or control, and I'm struggling to think of a situation in which this wouldn't be an incredibly useful tool.

Overall I think you've done a great job of representing a Yu-Gi-Oh duelist within the 5e system. The feature are all fluffy and thematic, and you have nailed down some really interesting mechanical features. I love the spell card feature, and think you've limited its power well. Trap Cards and Destiny Draw aren't 100% for me yet, but I can see your line of thinking and think you are on the right track. Good stuff!

Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-02 at 03:30 AM.

Including:

20. - Top - End - #200

PirateWench

Thanks for the comments! I've added in the long rest limitation to Destiny Draw, which was definitely meant to be there in the first place. Considering changing Trap Card, but not entirely sure if I will or what exactly to change.

Bulwark Comments:

Tower Shield: The cover seems fine, but the second benefit feels awkward to me. I'm not entirely sure what it's meant to represent in fiction - is the Bulwark actually doing something to assist the ranged attacker, or is it just meant to represent the fact that an archer behind the Bulwark is harder to see due to the tower shield? I would remove the second benefit as written and add one of the following instead:

-change Tower Shield so it grants you 1/2 cover against ranged attacks as well as giving 3/4 cover to the creature behind you; or
    -add a clause allowing a creature in the space behind you to use the Hide action, using you as cover

Mighty Throw: I like it. If you feel that the above changes make Tower Shield too weak, I might add a clause doubling the short and long ranges of throwing weapons to this ability.

Shield Bash: I like the idea, but it lacks thematic consistency with similar features already in the game (off the top of my head, the Shield Master feat and the Hobgoblin Warlord's Shield Bash attack). Obviously, it's not necessary for all similarly named features to do the same thing, but it tickles me when features that are the same or similar within the fiction do the same or similar things mechanically. I would probably alter this feature to instead allow for the bonus action attack (1d4 + str, as you already have), but I would make the rider be forcing a Str save against prone (based on the fighter's con or str, probably) instead of disadvantage on concentration checks. This would make the feature nearly identical to the Hobbo Warlord's action, and would make it more thematically in line with Shield Master (in the same way that many Cavalier features are in line with PAM and Sentinel).

I would also probably remove the alternate, difficult-terrain-creating effect for the simple reasoning that a) I can't imagine anyone choosing to burn a use of their BA attack on such a relatively weak option and b) removing it makes the feature less cluttered.

Sunder Armor: Similarly to the above sentiment, I would alter this feature to be more in line with similar existing features. Instead of a temporary AC debuff against any foe, I would probably make it a permanent and cumulative -1 AC (destroying a piece of armor that is reduced to 10 AC), but it would not work against enemies with natural armor or who are unarmored.

Deflection: This feature doesn't make much sense thematically to me. Using your shield offensively should leave you more open to attack, if anything, not less. Since I removed the reaction component of Tower Shield and nerfed Sunder Armor, I would probably change this feature to be stronger. Something like either

-When you or a creature you are granting cover to is targeted by a ranged attack, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on that attack; or
    -When you or a creature you are granting cover to is targeted by a ranged attack, you can use your reaction to grant that creature a bonus to AC equal to your proficiency bonus

Immovable Object seems fine.
    Last edited by gloryblaze; 2018-10-02 at 04:33 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Open to Critique the path of the Mad Chemist.

Notes:
    • I'm not thrilled with the name, but adding more alchemical qualities would raise the expectations of the subclass, so I just stole the character's title.
    • If you hadn't played League of Legends, Singed's playstyle is different most characters - his AoE poison trail he leaves behind him deals the bulk of his damage, so if you look up a video of him, he looks like he's just running around battle. This archetype will still be a smash-a-fool barbarian, just with the poison as a feature.
    • The two modes to his poison trail were based off the 5e abilities Poison Spray and Infestation (Singed has a Beekeeper skin).
    • Instead of 2 lackluster poison-dealing cantrips, I made one do significantly more potential damage (gated by a Con save), and the other do small amounts of reliable damage, as well as generate potential AoOs.
    • The reason the class gives the ability to use a shield as a weapon is I needed some way to guarantee a frontline character will have a hand free to throw a fool. In LoL, the character only uses shield, but I allowed the use of a light weapon to give the character a TWF feel.
    • The reason that the Fling feature gives the targeted creature disadvantage on saving throws is twofold - it increases the likelihood that the Poison Spray (chemical tank) damage will land when you toss a person into the cloud, and it also makes it likely that, if you throw a target onto the grease effect from a Adhesive Bomb, they'll fail the dex throw and land prone.
    • I'm going to edit Adhesive Bomb so that it doesn't make the area difficult terrain for the Barb... should it effect the party too, or just hostile creatures?
    • Originally Insanity Potion would also include disadvantage on Wisdom saving throws (due to... well, insanity), but that seems REALLY backwards for a front line character feature.
    Last edited by Vogie; 2018-10-02 at 10:33 AM.

... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    Open to Critique the path of the Mad Chemist.
    Sorry mate, not sure how I missed this!

Spoiler: Mad Chemist
    Show

I should preface this by saying I've never played League of Legends and have no prior conceptions about how this subclass should feel or play. Your notes were very useful in that regard.

Empowered Bulwark: I like the idea, and think it works as a 3rd level feature in principle. Two suggestions: 1) I think it should include a "while raging" caveat - as this is consistent among all other 3rd level barbarian features, and 2) I think the damage should probably be 1d4 + strength, because you are still getting +2 AC from the shield, and stacking rage damage on top of the small base dice.

Trailing Cloud: I am not sure how I feel about this. My gut instinct is that it is simply too strong an ability to stack on top of base Barbarian features. Compare this to a Storm Herald's aura, which takes a bonus action to activate, and does a maximum of 2 automatic fire damage/1d6 lightning, half on a save to creatures within 5 feet.

I think it would work better if you chose one of those options, subbed in poison damage, and either made it an aura affecting squares in a 5 ft radius, or a line over the path you've travelled. The damage should also probably scale at the same levels as those auras - 5, 10, 15, 20, rather than cantrip levels.

I love that the DC uses Intelligence. Always looking for more ways to make Intelligence viable!

Fling: Note that while raging, barbarians will always have advantage on grapple checks. If you want to add to the 'throwing' potential, maybe double shove length while Raging. "Based on your proficiency and Strength modifiers" is not very specific and will end up with odd numbers like 8 and 11 feet which don't seem to be a part of 5e in general. Giving a thrown creature disadvantage on saving throws is a cool ability that your teammates would love, but I think it is too strong for a level 6 feature - which is traditionally one of the weaker levels in a barbarian subclass.

Adhesive Bomb: Again, level 10 is usually a weaker feature in barbarian subclasses, tending towards fluff/utility. If you're going to keep this here, I don't think the barb should have immunity to the effects of the spell, and I think it should stay as once per short/long rest.

Insanity Potion: Is crazy strong. It grants the biggest draw of Bear totem's 3rd level feature, which is considered one of the strongest features in the game. Temporary hit points are huge on a barbarian - especially one who has resistance to all the damage, and this is a huge boost in mobility to an already-mobile class. Then the damage boost to aura damge. The disadvantage on Int and Cha saves is a big disadvantage in some situations - those saves are rare but killer when they come up. I think you nailed it when you said you wanted Wisdom in there too, but felt it was too limiting. The benefits probably justify disadvantage on Wisdom throws, but nobody wants that because it could shut them down totally.

Overall, I like the idea an Int-secondary barbarian, and some of the mechanical features, but I think there is a lot going on. In one subclass you have:
    * a shield bash attack
    * a lot of potential damage in a large area
    * a suplex throw attack
    * a greasebomb
    * a one-a-day super-rage

I think there are probably too many active abilities here - I would personally pick which 2-3 I think are the most important to the build and stick with them, as that would help unify the feel of the class, which at the moment feels a bit scattered. I also think the balance of strong to less-strong features is out. 3 and 14 are the big ones for barbarians, with 6 generally being a small passive boost while raging, and 10 being largely utility/fluff.

Thanks for the feedback gloryblaze, I've retooled a few things. Made your suggested changes to Tower Shield. Dropped Shield Bash totally as it didn't fit with the midfielder theme. Made level 10 ability a one-a-round advantage aura to the coveree, and 15 is a reaction to move with your coveree on their turn. I think it fits more with the source material now, rather than just "general defensive buffs".

I kept Sunder Armour as it is for now - I agree that the "stacking up to 3 times" isn't consistent with 5e terminology at the moment, but I also don't think rust monster mechanics work. It'd be a lot of bookkeeping for the DM to know exactly what armour is conferring which bonus, attacking shields vs armour, etc. The design intent is to encourage the Bulwark to stack this as much as possible, and I also want it to work against baddies who arent' explicitly wearing armour or shields. Still needs tweaking, I'm just not sure how at this stage yet.

Onto the pinball wizard!

Spoiler: nickl_2000's pinball wizard
    Show

I like that it's based off a song! And a good one at that.

Rebounding Shot: I was gonna say this is too strong for a 2nd level feature, considering Arcane Archers don't get Curving Shot til 10th, but then I saw its short range and that it's limited to int mod/long rest. Is probably fine that way. Very thematic - you will feel like a real pinball wizard from the get-go.

No Distractions: Probably doesn't need to keep advantage/disadvantage - if you have them, simply roll a third die and take it. A powerful feature to double up with at level 2.

Plays by Sense of Smell: A cool fluffy feature. I like it. Not too sure on the power level of blindsight as I've never really had it come up in my games.

Never Seen Him Fall: I like that this subclass is focussing less on the wizard's spellcasting and more on his maneuvering.

Replay: Very, very powerful capstone. Trying to think of ways to limit its power without destroying it completely - there are just so many great ways to use this. The wording should probably say "feature" rather than special ability.

Fun and interesting subclass, few power concerns, you've ruined the next hour and a half for me as I go listen to Tommy!

Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-02 at 05:39 PM.

Including:

23. - Top - End - #203

PirateWench

I also really like the pinball wizard! I remember someone bringing up a pinball wizard in a thread in the 5e forum a while back, cool to see it finally got made!

I agree with pygmybatrider's comment on No Distractions - it's a little finicky for me (hypocritical, I know, considering my entry is the DEFINITION of finicky).

As for Replay, I'm mostly fine with it. The Evoker's 14th level ability is quite similar - it maximizes a spell's damage, and max damage is usually similar (a little weaker, to be fair) to double the average damage of a spell. In return for the slightly better damage and the flexibility to use it with non-damaging spells, it burns a bonus action and a spell slot. It seems really well thought out.

The other features are all super flavorful and thematic. I really like this subclass, it's quite polished!

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pygmybatrider View Post

Spoiler: Mad Chemist
    Show

I should preface this by saying I've never played League of Legends and have no prior conceptions about how this subclass should feel or play. Your notes were very useful in that regard.

Empowered Bulwark: I like the idea, and think it works as a 3rd level feature in principle. Two suggestions: 1) I think it should include a "while raging" caveat - as this is consistent among all other 3rd level barbarian features, and 2) I think the damage should probably be 1d4 + strength, because you are still getting +2 AC from the shield, and stacking rage damage on top of the small base dice.

Trailing Cloud: I am not sure how I feel about this. My gut instinct is that it is simply too strong an ability to stack on top of base Barbarian features. Compare this to a Storm Herald's aura, which takes a bonus action to activate, and does a maximum of 2 automatic fire damage/1d6 lightning, half on a save to creatures within 5 feet.

I think it would work better if you chose one of those options, subbed in poison damage, and either made it an aura affecting squares in a 5 ft radius, or a line over the path you've travelled. The damage should also probably scale at the same levels as those auras - 5, 10, 15, 20, rather than cantrip levels.

I love that the DC uses Intelligence. Always looking for more ways to make Intelligence viable!

Fling: Note that while raging, barbarians will always have advantage on grapple checks. If you want to add to the 'throwing' potential, maybe double shove length while Raging. "Based on your proficiency and Strength modifiers" is not very specific and will end up with odd numbers like 8 and 11 feet which don't seem to be a part of 5e in general. Giving a thrown creature disadvantage on saving throws is a cool ability that your teammates would love, but I think it is too strong for a level 6 feature - which is traditionally one of the weaker levels in a barbarian subclass.

Adhesive Bomb: Again, level 10 is usually a weaker feature in barbarian subclasses, tending towards fluff/utility. If you're going to keep this here, I don't think the barb should have immunity to the effects of the spell, and I think it should stay as once per short/long rest.

Insanity Potion: Is crazy strong. It grants the biggest draw of Bear totem's 3rd level feature, which is considered one of the strongest features in the game. Temporary hit points are huge on a barbarian - especially one who has resistance to all the damage, and this is a huge boost in mobility to an already-mobile class. Then the damage boost to aura damge. The disadvantage on Int and Cha saves is a big disadvantage in some situations - those saves are rare but killer when they come up. I think you nailed it when you said you wanted Wisdom in there too, but felt it was too limiting. The benefits probably justify disadvantage on Wisdom throws, but nobody wants that because it could shut them down totally.

Overall, I like the idea an Int-secondary barbarian, and some of the mechanical features, but I think there is a lot going on. In one subclass you have:
    * a shield bash attack
    * a lot of potential damage in a large area
    * a suplex throw attack
    * a greasebomb
    * a one-a-day super-rage

I think there are probably too many active abilities here - I would personally pick which 2-3 I think are the most important to the build and stick with them, as that would help unify the feel of the class, which at the moment feels a bit scattered. I also think the balance of strong to less-strong features is out. 3 and 14 are the big ones for barbarians, with 6 generally being a small passive boost while raging, and 10 being largely utility/fluff.

I made some changes based on your feedback.

I opted to make the 3rd level ability slightly better than Desert Herald... not only because Desert Herald's 3rd level ability is terrible, but also because so many things are resistant to poison damage. I also didn't want to overload a potential DW class with lots of bonus action usage. Also, the Chemical Tank is a Save-or-Suck, which means there's a chance it'll actually suck more. There's a reason no one uses those Cantrips.

I did, however, separate the two. Now the Cloud of poison is "behind me only" while the swarm of insects is centered around the Barbarian. That also makes common sense.

I made the fling a flat 10 feet in any direction, and limited the Adhesive to once/rest. I wanted to keep the "advantage on grappling" in there, even though it is part of the core rules, just to save any arguments

I removed the movement speed AND resistance to magic from insanity potion. It still has a pile of THP, but also added disadvantage to Constitution checks, so this poison-thrower is much more likely to get poisoned while going insane.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I made some changes based on your feedback.

I opted to make the 3rd level ability slightly better than Desert Herald... not only because Desert Herald's 3rd level ability is terrible, but also because so many things are resistant to poison damage. I also didn't want to overload a potential DW class with lots of bonus action usage. Also, the Chemical Tank is a Save-or-Suck, which means there's a chance it'll actually suck more. There's a reason no one uses those Cantrips.

I did, however, separate the two. Now the Cloud of poison is "behind me only" while the swarm of insects is centered around the Barbarian. That also makes common sense.

I made the fling a flat 10 feet in any direction, and limited the Adhesive to once/rest. I wanted to keep the "advantage on grappling" in there, even though it is part of the core rules, just to save any arguments

I removed the movement speed AND resistance to magic from insanity potion. It still has a pile of THP, but also added disadvantage to Constitution checks, so this poison-thrower is much more likely to get poisoned while going insane.
    Fair point on the Storm Herald auras feeling lackluster - they did end up being a pretty disappointing way to mechanically represent such a badass idea. And you're right about poison and con saves, and it being based on int, limiting its power. The subclass definitely feels like it would be fun to play at the table - I can picture a barbarian madly running around, trying to make as many baddies as possible take the damage.

Looking good :)

Including:

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm torn. Do I make a subclass based on Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt (Mantis-Kinden as a Ranger Conclave) or one based on Allomancy/Feruchemy from Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series (probably based Alloy of Law era, most likely as a Monk subclass)?

Or do I do something else entirely? Decision paralysis is upon me.

EDIT: Couple more options: the Prisoner from Dead Cells, the Knight from Hollow Knight. This has not reduced the decision paralysis.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-10-04 at 09:28 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a quick check in. How is everybody doing? Got any more subclasses waiting in the wings? Anyone want a feedback pass on their current submissions? Just a couple of weeks to go on this contest.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I had an idea earlier in the week, but didn't have time to write it up. Something based on the stock Final Fantasy protagonist - you know the kind, with spiky hair, oversized/improbable swords, surprising levels of agility/athleticism, limit breaks/summons, a mixture of idealism & angst, etc. When you think about it, every lead FF character except Terra, Yuna and maybe Zidane fits that template. So I'll probably throw that together tomorrow.

In other news, I was thinking of running a contest soon, maybe while we're voting on this one. The idea would be to revive the Slapdash Subclass Challenge where I give you 48 hours to write a subclass. Is that something people would be interested in?

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

29. - Top - End - #209

PirateWench

I'd participate in that - sounds fun :)

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

First draft of Final Hero is up. Feedback is welcome! Though I guess I don't deserve any, since I haven't commented on anyone else's entry... >_>

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair