New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge: E6 Appetizer Edition (Round IX)

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Any judges feel like offering a status update?
    I ended up picking up a bunch of work this last week.
    I'll see if I can get the Judgements posted by tomorrow night.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PrismCat21 View Post
    I ended up picking up a bunch of work this last week.
    I'll see if I can get the Judgements posted by tomorrow night.
    How exciting! Well... not the part where you work a bunch

3. - Top - End - #93

PirateCaptain

So my mind was completely thrown off this last week.
    I thought when I posted on Friday, that it was already Saturday, and that I was free the rest of the weekend.
    I was not.
    I'll be working on them the rest of today and into the night. They'll be posted as soon as I get to decent WiFi earlier tomorrow morning, if not late tonight.

Sorry for the wait.

4. - Top - End - #94

PirateCaptain

All Judgements finished.
    It's late where I'm at so I'll be going to McDonald's early in the morning to post.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for your efforts, PrismCat!
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm with Zaq, even those of us who only watch for inspiration normally appreciate the time/effort put in by judges/contestants/hosts.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

I don;t have time to commit to judging, but I would like to put in an honorable mention: Emilio Scoundrel

8. - Top - End - #98

PirateCaptain

*For some reason I don't seem to be able to preview this post. I'm going to edit as best I can, then post it, fixing things after the fact.

*EditThat should be everything.

A quick look at how I Judged the entries.
    Spoiler: Criteria
    Show

Originality – This score starts at 3.0. I don’t care what sources are used or where they’re from as long as they’re legal. What I’m looking for here is outside the box thinking. This could be an extremely weird/off the wall build, or an obvious build used in unexpected ways. The fluff surrounding the character will help you score higher points.

Power – This score starts at [B]3.0[B].I don’t care how powerful the build is compared to the other entries. I only care about how well it works with your chosen concept, and if it can do everything it’s supposed to be able to. Are you the best at what you do? Can what you do be done easier by other characters or more simple builds?

Elegance – This score starts at 4.0. There are two parts to this score for me. The first is hard numbers. Is everything where it’s supposed to be and do all of the numbers add up. This contest doesn’t seem to have as many ‘must haves’ as the others, so if you’re missing a ‘must have’, it’ll cost you. Small things will be a cost of 0.1 or 0.2 points, larger will be 0.5. If something essential is completely missing, like Ability Scores, that’ll be an entire point (1.0).
    The second part is how well the build messes together with your concept of the character and how well I understand what you want to do with it. This part I’ll basically eyeball.

Use of Secret Ingredient – This score starts at 1.0. Since there’s only 6 levels, I expect at least 4 of them to be the Secret Ingredient. The other two will be bonus if you took them. Each level of the SI will be worth 0.5 points. The rest of the score will be for how much of the SI’s abilities are used throughout the entire build, and how they are shown off. (How well or powerfully you use the abilities will earn you points in Power.)
    (The Max score will still be 5.0)

Spoiler: Emilio Scoundrél – 10.6
    Show
    Spoiler: Originality
    Show
    I really don’t see anything too special about Emilio. My first impression of him is that he wants to be a melee Bard. The most you said about this character is about what a Swashbuckler is, and how he should be more than basically a Fighter with Weapon Finesse and a good Intelligence. But you failed to explain why Emilio is any better than a stylish, flamboyant Fighter. All I see is a build, not a character.

The use of Truenamer is nice and fits well enough with what I believe you want from him.
    His epic feats separated into their different heroic aspects is a nice touch.
    Nothing special enough to increase the score, but nothing too damning to reduce it.

Spoiler: Power
    Show
    You’re a competent combatant. Arcane Stunt and Truenamer Utterances give you some extra abilities to rely on.
    The epic feats chosen allow some versatility and survivability.
    There’s nothing really that makes me think he’s much greater than average though.

Spoiler: Elegance
    Show
    You have a section for your Ability Scores and where the increase at lvl 4 is, which is good. However, you don’t list which Ability stat each Score goes to, and I had to figure out for myself how you allocated the points and whether the lvl 4 increase was included or not in the listed Scores. I’ll be assuming the scores are list in the standard order. Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha. - (-0.5)

What’s a Class Feature? That would be the specific bonus feat you get at first level. You put it under the column for feats, which is fine, but it would have been better if it was specified as a bonus feat so no one is confused about it.
    Your second class feature for Swashbuckler I couldn’t find listed at all, Grace +1.
    I now see why I couldn’t find Grace. I was wondering where Arcane stunt came from and I discovered the Arcane Stunt alternate class feature, taken at lvl 1, not lvl 2. I don’t have a problem with Variants, Alternative Class Features, or Racial Substitution Levels being used. I do have a big problem with them not being listed that you are taking one. - (-1.0)

Skills become messy starting at lvl 3 with Climb, it somehow went down a point. At lvl 4 it seems fixed and increased by 1 and Tumble is listed, supposedly because it got an increase, but stays the same. At lvl 5 you are granted 8 skill points but only use 6.
    Bab gets an increase at lvl 5 that it shouldn’t have, and is then carried over to lvl 6. Total Bab at lvl 6 should be +4. - (-0.3)

You only list 9 of your 10 epic feats. - (-0.1)

I didn’t see a listed Source for anything in your entire build. - (-1.0)
    -
    You’re abilities don’t really get into each others way. While your two classes don’t really mechanically compliment each other, they’re used for different purposes and fit fine for what you want to do. - (+0.5)

Spoiler: Use of SI
    Show
    Three lvls = (+1.5)

Nothing is really showcased throughout the build. The SI’s abilities aren’t used in any special way. The alternate class feature in nice but not really worth it to me. If you had provided some backstory or explained how certain parts of the build were used, I’d have more of an idea how to play him.
    Average/competent of the abilities will get you (+0.5)

Spoiler: Zandrek – 17.3
    Show
    Show
    Fluffy Stuff story was fun :)
    Shifter Barbarians are too common for my liking. Using Swashbuckler as the primary element of this combination and focusing on Dexterity instead of Strength is much more to my liking.
    The backstory and playstyle section help paint a complete picture of what kind of character Zandrek is. He’s not at all what you’d expect when you meet him in-game or when you first glance at his build.

Show
    Shield of Blades and Whirling Frenzy fit Zandrek nicely. Spirit Lion Totem is a general power grab move for chargers and I’d be tempted to count for it in Elegance. You seem to use it in support of you regular fighting style rather then as the primary attack method itself. Thank you for mentioning it in your stub, I may have counted off for it otherwise.
    Full Bab is a plus. You’re ferocious in combat while still keeping the spirit and style of the Swashbuckler. It’s a good balance. - (+1.0)

Show
    The build is so clean and neat. Everything is calculated correctly. Everything seems to be in the correct place. You provide good explanations for everything chosen. You provided a build stub, playstyle suggestions, and how to use Profession: Bounty Hunter. You list your Sources. It’s great! - (+1.0)

Three things, Shifter Trait, dipping, and Ability Scores. What kind of Shifter are you? You have 10 Traits to choose from when making a Shifter. When you look t the build table it seems obvious that you choose Longtooth when you made him, but I didn’t see it mentioned. By the end of the build it seems like you have two traits, which is great, but that first one really needs to be listed. - (-0.1)

I don’t much of a problem with dipping but I still need to take off a little for it. A 1 lvl dip into Barbarian to pick up 2 ACF’s is cheesy. They make sense for your character and you get an increase in power, but it costs you here. It’s a good trade-off. - (-0.5)

Concerning Ability Scores, I dislike having to figure out where all the points are spent, especially with racial adjustments I have to look up.. I also did not see where you put the 4th lvl ability score increase.
    I’m tempted to ignore it because it’s not that big of a deal, but I have to be consistent with every build, so it’ll cost you (-0.1)

Spoiler: Use of Secret Ingredient
    Show
    Five lvls = (+2.5)

Every choice you’ve made for Zandrek compliments what Swashbuckler provides. You focus on melee which Swashbuckler is made for. The ACF chosen suits your fighting style and you make good use of your skills. The epic feats chosen improve Shifter and Barbarian more than Swashbuckler, but Swashbuckler seems to be supporting those two anyways, so I’m good with it.
    The only thing lacking is use of Insightful Strike. You chose a race with a penalty to Intelligence, but still made sure you had a positive modifier, so it still is useful for you. It’s hard to feature Swashbuckler since it’s abilities are all passive. You’ve done a decent job showing how you use them.

Spoiler: Vanessa Potshot – 12.6
    Show
    Show
    Vanessa does not seem to be your typical Swashbuckler at all. She has a gimmick outside the norm and will be noticed for it. She has a fairly typical Swashbuckler build and without more fluff there’s not much more to make her stand out. - (+0.5)

Show
    She’s a Sniper and a skill monkey and is perfectly competent at it. (Assuming she can make use of her Hand Crossbows)
    She has options to evade her enemies through skill tricks and feats. When she can trigger sneak attack she’ll do good damage. She has a niche and is comfortable in it, take her out of her element and she’ll start to struggle, but that’s what other party members are for, right? - (+0.5)

Show
    A Table for Ability Scores is what I like to see. What’s missing is where you allocated the points, but since you list your original scores, racial adjustments, and level increase separately, it’s easy enough to figure out. What I don’t get is why you have the Scores list again right after the table. - (-0.1)

At lvl 6, Use Rope went from a +6 to +5.5. All other skills and skill tricks seem good though. - (-0.1)

You take the feat Weapon Focus:(Hand Crossbow), but I fail to see where you got Exotic Weapon Proficiency: (Hand Crossbow), which is a prerequisite. That also means that you do not qualify for the feat Crossbow Sniper. Since dual-wielding Hand Crossbows seems to be such a big part of your build, it’s a big problem. - (-0.6)

I thought at first that you didn’t qualify for Gnome Tunnel Acrobatics as well, but I was wrong. It has alternative prerequisites. :)

A third lvl of Rogue or fourth of Swashbuckler wouldn’t have done anything for you concerning Daring Outlaw, so the Sneak Attack Fighter was a good choice for Power. It’ll cost you here though. It’s a good trade-off. (Adding the Thug variant as well wouldn’t have cost you anything mechanically and you would’ve gained 2 extra skill points and class skills. Sneak Attack Fighter specifically calls it out as being allowed.) - (-0.5)

I did not see any Sources listed for anything in the entire build. - (-1.0)

All the choices made seem to fit the concept well enough. Vanessa’s abilities complement each other for the most part. The main issue is Insightful Strike. You have a great Intelligence bonus, but it can’t be used with your primary attack method, Hand Crossbows. When you get into melee sure, but that’s not what you’re built for. - (+0.5)

You nearly got away with not having an alignment listed, I caught this shortly before posting. - (-0.1)

Show
    Three lvls = (+1.5)

Swashbuckler doesn’t do much in this build that couldn’t have been done by other classes. The main thing it brings to the table is Daring Outlaw, which is great. Vanessa has certain things she does really well and Swashbuckler helps her do that just fine. It does what it is asked of it. All in all - (+1.0)

Spoiler: Swash Shielder – 15.8
    Show
    Show
    You take the theme for Swashbuckler and apply it to shields. Neat.
    I’ve had a player try and make his entire character based around using shields, with some allowances he did a decent job with it. He would’ve been excited to see Swash Shielder.
    You do a good job explaining how he can be used, what he can do, and justifying his Affiliations. You give us a good idea of the character, not just the build. - (+1.5)

Show
    Assuming Swash Shielder can get away with everything he’s trying to do, he’ll be a tough combatant. He has a theme that makes him more powerful instead of sacrificing power to fit the theme. That’s always a plus. I’m already taking off for some of your hyjinks in Elegance, so here I have to judge as if they work. - (+1.5)

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Swash Shielder
    As per OA update, the shapechanger type becomes a subtype. The LA is removed. Due to having the shapechanger subtype, if the creature has armor listed in its monster entry, it is also proficient in shields. OA p.168, the hengeyokai have ashigrau armor proficiency on their stat block. So they are proficient in shields for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit and Run Fighter
    you give up proficiency with...shields… even if you already have those proficiencies from another class. You can’t gain either of those proficiencies by multiclassing later,...
    Spoiler: futurama
    Show

I’ll allow it. I believe it goes against the intent but I’ll overlook it.

It seems that part of your explanation got cut off before the build table. I hope it wasn’t anything important.

You don’t list which Ability Scores you put your points in, or what your racial modifiers are. - (-0.1)

At lvl 6, as far as I can tell, you only have 5 skill points to spend, but you’re spent 6. - (-0.1)

Fort, Ref, and Will saves were never filled in. - (-1.0)

Affiliations I’ve always considered to be a bit cheesy. I’m generally hesitant to rule against them, partly because you generally don’t get much out of them. With your choice of concept and build you’re getting more out of them than usual, and you’re taking multiple ones. I have to count off for it. It’ll boost Power though. - (-0.5)

I don’t for even one moment believe all those shield bonuses will stacked together after you’ve transferred them to your attack bonus. And even if it’s technically RAW, it’s fondue levels of cheese. I’m still willing to accept most of it though. The Shield Sheath certainly will not work that way though. All in all - (-0.5)

You have a theme and you’re sticking to it. For the most part everything fits together and there’s no obvious power grabs. Much of this build will only work with a permission DM, but that’s not my problem.
    What you have listed seems legal. I really appreciate the explanations for all the feats and features you choose. It makes my job much easier. - (+1.0)

Show
    Five lvls = (+2.5)

You took 2 ACF’s to better fit your concept, that works just fine. Swashbuckler doesn’t give you a lot to work with, but you use what you do have well enough. You keep the idea for Swashbuckler and simply incorporate it into shields rather than blades. - (+1.0)

Spoiler: Swash Kneebuckler - 18.4
    Show
    Show
    Swash Kneebuckler is exactly what a Swashbuckler should be, but took a roundabout way of getting there. I approve. :)
    The concept is straightforward and there’s a few typical choices made that anyone would expect a standard Swashbuckler to have. That’s okay. There’s a reason they’re supposed to have it.
    You didn’t shy to far away from the idea of a standard Swashbuckler, you just took your own path to make him. That makes all the difference. - (+1.0)

Show
    I Judge each entry’s Power based on how I understand their concept, not their overall combat efffectiveness.
    You do what you want to do really well. You thrive when you face down opponents, turning attacks on you into an attack on someone else, and dodging and weaving your way though everyone without harm.
    You’re able to pull at least double duty out of some of your features, like Elusive Target, because you can have multiple targets of your Dodge abilities.
    Crusader is a standard powerful choice for melee combatants, but not for characters like you. The maneuvers chosen as well as Crusader’s base features all build upon your concept, and help improve your survivability. Which seems to me is your main schtick. - (+1.5)

Show
    So very close to full marks. :,(
    You didn’t list where you put all your points for your Ability Scores, but since you’re a Human, it’s easy enough to figure out. No extra calculations need to be made.
    I did not find your Alignment anywhere. I’m afraid that’s gonna cost you a bit. - (-0.1)

This build is simple, clean, and to the ‘point’. Everything seems to be where it should be. Everything is listed out nicely and organized. It’s straightforward. You list all your sources. You offer explanations for your abilities and how everything works together. - (+1.0)

Show
    Five lvls = (+2.5)

There will be no doubt in anyone’s mind that you are a Swashbuckler. Everything about you screams it, and the more anyone tries to stop you, the louder it screams.
    You make full use of your abilities and every option you’ve chosen only enhances the Swashbuckler feel. - (+1.5)

Spoiler: Dante Otaile – 15.4
    Show
    Show
    Definitely a different concept than I expected.
    Dante seems to be all about gathering information, bluffing the ladies, and meeting with his contacts in the Thieves Guild. Really, the focus is on the Bluff skill. I’m not really sure how to judge him. He meets the requirements and the fluff provided matches the build. - (+1.0)

Show
    Dante is able to do exactly what is expected of him, but not much else. He has some decent defenses for when he is forced into confrontation, but he’s a talker, not a fighter. His abilities revolve around information in one form or another, yet he doesn’t even have the Gather Information skill, though he doesn’t seem to really need it.
    He meets the requirements I had for him, but I expected him to be able to do more.
    He is definitely made for a primarily social game, and I have no experience with those. - (+1.0)

Show
    You didn’t list where you put all your points for your Ability Scores, but since you’re a Half-Elf, it’s easy enough to figure out. No extra calculations need to be made.

I did not find your Alignment anywhere. I’m afraid that’s gonna cost you a bit. - (-0.1)

You are missing 21 skill points at 1st lvl. You have 7 skill points from both Swashbuckler and Intelligence modifier. At 1st lvl you multiply your total skill points by 4, with gives you 28 points to assign to various skills.
    At lvl 5 you’re assigning 9 points when it should still only be 7.
    At lvl 6 you’re assigning 10 points when it should still only be 7. - (-0.5)

You gave a source for your ACF and Seduction, but nothing else. The build primarily seems to come from Cityscape, but I’m not too familiar with it myself. - (-0.5)

The build is clean and simple. Most of what you have is in the right place. The backstory was a fun read. You’re abilities complement your chosen concept well. All in all it seems pretty bare, kind of like you entered the contest as an afterthought. - (+0.5)

Show
    Six lvls = (+3.0)

The only abilities you seem to make use of is Seduction which you got for the dead level, and Bluff.
    This build doesn’t do much else. You have an Arcane Stunt that helps you run away, which is good since you don’t want to ever get into a fight.
    More of Swashbuckler’s abilities seem to ignored compared to what is used. - (-/+0)

Spoiler: Cassandra Nova Feroxx – 18.5
    Show
    Show
    We’ve seen plenty of melee Swashbucklers now, Cassandra is far on the other end of the spectrum and kicks butt in her own way.
    You took an ability not many ever picked up and pimped it out into the stratosphere. (But that’ll go into power.)
    Utterances and Soulmelds both on a build without either class. I like it. :)
    Definitely outside the box thinking with her. Even using Rogue and Psion many would expect to focus more on damage or utility. You knew exactly what you wanted and went for it. - (+1.5)

Show
    You made it very clear that Cassandra does not belong in a fight. That is perfectly acceptable. She is Judged by her chosen concept, not her combat ability. You’ve proven in multiple ways how she’ll get what she wants, no matter who or what is in her way.
    You’ve even explain clearly how she can be useful during combat even when she’s not directly in the fight. I can think of no objections with what the Flirtatrix can do. - Full points.

Show
    You didn’t list where you put all your points for your Ability Scores, but since you’re a Half-Elf, it’s easy enough to figure out. No extra calculations need to be made.

jaw drops
    I absolutely love everything. The formatting is fantastic. It’s all well organized. The tables are phenomenal. Any question I possibly had was answered somewhere in your build. - Full Points.

Show
    Four lvls = (+2.0)

Swashbuckler is not the star of this build, but it fully supports the build and offers well used abilities.
    You’ve done well describing how and when Cassandra is to be used, and when forced into melee how Swashbuckler helps her to survive and escape so she can do what she’s really good at.
    Other classes would have been better of course, but you used what you were given well enough. - (+1.0)

Spoiler: Ahmer Hemsea – 16.9
    Show
    Show
    The parachute pants got to me. I Lol’d

I cannot remember reading about Path of Shadows or Dancing with Shadows, Good Find.

Ahmer seems pretty close to what you’d expect a typical Swashbuckler to be like. But he’s got flair and makes the theme his own. You still feel like a Swashbuckler despite dipping out early and going your own way. That’s a good thing to me. - (+1.0)

Show
    You’re a capable combatant when you want to be, but you thrive amongst multiple opponents. Your strategy is to avoid getting hit while making everyone else hit each other, and attacking while moving round the whole battlefield. You do exactly what you want and more. You may not be the absolute best, but you’d be hard pressed to find someone comparable. - (+1.5)

Show
    As the only contestant that bothered to give credit for their picture, as the Chair asked everyone to do, I’m giving you an extra 0.5 to your Final Score.

Also, the only one that bothered to show how they assigned points to their Ability Scores. Thank you!

You did a fantastic job organizing your build. It’s clean, everything’s in the right place, you offer breakdowns and explanations for everything, and you list your Sources.
    The only issue is your designation for 3rd Level. You’re missing ‘3rd’. It doesn't affect the build at all and is an easy mistake to overlook, but I'm nit picky about formatting errors like that.- (-0.1)

Show
    Three lvls = (+1.5)

You get decent use out of Swashbuckler’s abilities and dip out when you no longer need it. I can respect that.
    Swashbuckler is used to help you do other things, but it’s still being used, that’s what’s important.
    You still make it feel like a Swashbuckler. - (+1.0)

Spoiler: Badmar the Bold – 16.4
    Show
    Show
    That was a fun story.

You have a standard Tripping build with a bit of a spin on it, using Swashbuckler to help qualify.
    The story helped me see him more as a character instead of just a build.

There’s nothing too unusual or unique about him, but you stuck with your theme and gave him some fun gimmicks. - (+1.0)

Show
    Badmar does what he’s supposed to do. He has an advantage against similar characters due to Jotunbrud and Expansion. The Crunch fits the Fluff and makes him seem more powerful for it. That’s good :)

It’s a fairly average build with above average capabilities for what he wants to be able to do. - (+1.0)

Show
    You didn’t list where you put all your points for your Ability Scores, but since you’re a Human, it’s easy enough to figure out. No extra calculations need to be made.

You seem to be missing 2 skill points at 5th lvl. Tumble is listed, but not increased. I assume it was supposed to go up to +7. - (-0.1)

Jotunbrud specifically says ‘you are considered Large’ multiple times. It never even implies that you are considered one size category larger. Expansion wouldn’t make you be considered Huge. That’ll be an argument for another DM though when the time comes, that you ‘should’ lose.
    The part I’ll be nit picky about though is “If we’re considered large already for attack purposes, “. You’re not considered Large already for attack purposes, just opposed rolls.

Everything else seems to fit nicely with what you want to be able to do. The formatting is clean and well organized. You’ve provided clear instructions of how to use Badmar and his abilities, and explantions of many of his abilities. - (+1.0)

Show
    Three lvls = (+1.5)

You get decent use out of Swashbuckler’s abilities and dip out when you no longer need it. I can respect that.
    You use Swashbuckler to help qualify for things and still benefit passively from many of its abilities.
    It’s a basic tripping build but still feels Swashbuckley enough. - (+1.0)

A quick note for future competitors.
    When altering the table from the OP, do not alter the name. That tends to screw it up, removing or changing lines throughout.
    Please list your Sources somewhere. It makes it much easier on Judges if the know where to look.

For the Chair – Would Variant classes of the SI still qualify? Alternative Features and Racial Substitution Levels sure, but Variants?

Edit: Score Change
    Last edited by PrismCat21; 2018-06-24 at 11:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

PirateCaptain

whewThis was ridonkulous!
    I woke up late, so that part's on me.
    For some reason I was unable to post anything to this thread using my laptop, one I had access to WiFi. I was able to preview once, but never again. I restarted a couple times and it allowed posting one time and then went away again.
    I tried sending myself an email so I could post from my phone, didn't work.
    I tried using Facebook messenger, but it claimed I somehow blocked messages from myself... :-/ ???
    I was so very aggravated.

I was finally able to message myself on Facebook in small messages, and then reconstruct it in the post using my phone.
    I believe I fixed all the mistakes that caused. Feel free to go through it and point anything out to me.
    I'm off to play Red Alert to wind down some.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Aweome. Thank you for judging prism cat
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2018-06-18 at 03:42 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for judging, PrismCat!

I’m not sure I understand your question about variants. What do you mean “count”? For that matter, what exactly do you mean by variants if not sub levels and ACFs? Something like using Erudite if the SI is Psion or something? Relatively few variants like that are found outside Dragon, so I doubt it’ll come up if I’m understanding you correctly, but I’m not sure I understand. Can you clarify a bit, please?

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

A few things from my inbox:

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Scoundrél
    I now see why I couldn’t find Grace. I was wondering where Arcane stunt came from and I discovered the Arcane Stunt alternate class feature, taken at lvl 1, not lvl 2. I don’t have a problem with Variants, Alternative Class Features, or Racial Substitution Levels being used. I do have a big problem with them not being listed that you are taking one. - (-1.0)

Skills become messy starting at lvl 3 with Climb, it somehow went down a point. At lvl 4 it seems fixed and increased by 1 and Tumble is listed, supposedly because it got an increase, but stays the same. At lvl 5 you are granted 8 skill points but only use 6.
    Bab gets an increase at lvl 5 that it shouldn’t have, and is then carried over to lvl 6. Total Bab at lvl 6 should be +4. - (-0.5)

You only list 9 of your 10 epic feats. - (-0.1)
    Very small dispute here, I don't expect it to change my score much.
    You're wrong about the BAB. Truenamer is a 3/4 BAB class and Swashbuckler is full. The BAB is 5.

On the skills, ah well. That's what I get for last minute adjustments.
    I wonder if I had meant to take Whip Climber at 5... those 6 skill points are a mystery.

I was going to dispute the feats but you're right. I forgot Lucky Start. Dang luck feats all sounds the same they start to blend together.
    And a non-dispute here:

Quote Originally Posted by Zandrek
    I quickly wanted to mention that I have no disputes for my entry. The judging was fair in all regards as far as I'm concerned. My thanks to Zaq for running this competition, and to Prismcat for judging.
    I'll leave a bit of time for the response, but I'm hoping we can maybe get this wrapped up by the end of the week. By which I mean, I hope that there are few if any other disputes, but if you've got any, please get 'em in ASAP!

Let's talk a bit about the next round, if no one minds . . .

I'm choosing between a few options for the next round's ingredient. Since it's round X (even if not the tenth round under my watch, but after Shugenja, I also want to be aware of the calendar, and summer seems like a relatively innocuous time in general, all else being equal), I kind of feel like doing something special. What I have in mind is to present an ingredient that's actually good on its face (not just like how Shugenja got full casting, but actually good) and declare that Power, Elegance, and UoSI are worth 5 points each but that Originality is worth 10 points, since the biggest challenge will be standing out from everyone around you. Yes, this is a nontrivial skew of the way things are done, but that's kind of the point, since this is supposed to be a special round. We'd go back to normal the following round.

Or, you know, I can always just throw something else awful at you. I have some ingredients that are genuinely terrible, and I have a few more that I think are going to be deceptively difficult to cook with despite not having the reputation that, like, Hexblade does. And of course we'll get to everything in time. I have confidence in the ability of this group to rise to the challenge. Yes, even after Shugenja.

What does everyone think about my proposed "cook with something good but really focus on being original and standing out" round? I repeat, we'll go back to normal after that. I don't want to incite a riot or anything, but I think it might be fun!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I would like a special round for the U.A. generic classes eventually. ;)

But a good class? Sure.

Also, No disputes at all here.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

The originality round starts interesting, but I hope that the 'good' ingredient is not a full spellcaster. that's probably just me, but it's easier for me to come up with ideas for something that's not completely focused on spells (half-casters with other stuff, or 'full casters' of one of the unusual subsystems like Incarnum are fine).
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

15. - Top - End - #105

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Scoundrél
    Very small dispute here, I don't expect it to change my score much.
    You're wrong about the BAB. Truenamer is a 3/4 BAB class and Swashbuckler is full. The BAB is 5.
    Well shoot. I must have switched over to the wrong table when I was looking at that. (+ 0.2)

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Any other disputes, anyone? I'd like to wrap things up.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Also, if you want to vote for HM, now’s the time. I’m going to aim to wrap up very shortly. Tonight if possible, or else tomorrow if I get home too late to do a proper job here.

EDIT: a last-second dispute popped up literally as I was posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Potshot
    I dont want to dispue for points as I doubt I will place even if I do, however Hand Crossbows specifically count as a light weapon, so Grace should in fact work on them. However I would like just as much as the next person to move on to the next one, so if it is time to move on please move on before settling this dispute.
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-06-21 at 08:14 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

My HM goes to Emilio, for trying to fix Swashbuckler with levels in Truenamer.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

19. - Top - End - #109

PirateCaptain

I say to go ahead and start the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Potshot
    Hand Crossbows specifically count as a light weapon, so Grace should in fact work on them.
    (I assume you mean Insightful Strike.)
    Please, if you can provide a source, I would very much like to see it.

The weapon qualifications for Insightful Strike is, "with any light weapon, as well as any other weapon that can be used with Weapon Finesse,". I don't believe Weapon Finesse can be used by Hand Crossbows, and I do not know where they are designated as Light weapons.

Not even Light Crossbows say they are Light weapons.

The description for Hand Crossbows in the Player's Handbook even says, "You can shoot a hand crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two light weapons."
    Seems clear to me that they are not considered Light Weapons.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Halfling in the Playground

The section in the player's handbook that talks about light weapons actually introduces them as light melee weapons. The only exceptions to that I could find was in the combat section where it starts darts and shuriken can be used as light weapon — if it's they're off hand weapon. So, as much as I'd like to claim hand crossbows to be light weapons, the rules don't seem to support it.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    My HM goes to Emilio, for trying to fix Swashbuckler with levels in Truenamer.
    I'm with Randuir.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

22. - Top - End - #112

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by tterreb
    snip
    Granted, it is the end of the contest and their won't be any more Judges and probably no more disputes, but it would be better to wait until the reveal to post personal Judgements on builds.

Thank you for the support though :)

It looks like there's 3 votes for Emilio Scoundrel for HM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Not sure if this was addressed or not... I'm not a chef or judge this round, but I was reading through the entries, and I noticed something. Vanessa doesn't need EWP for hand crossbow. Rogues are actually proficient with hand crossbows (I forget this myself sometimes!).

Crossbow Sniper doesn't explicitly require EWP, but even if it did, in most cases where a race or class feature gives you proficiency with an exotic weapon, it generally counts for the purposes of qualifying for PrCs or feats that explicitly require EWP.

(If you want to get *really* pedantic, technically Vanessa has proficiency in other crossbows from her Fighter/Swashbuckler levels, which is all Crossbow Sniper cares about. Weapon Focus is the other prereq, but she qualifies for that based on her Rogue levels.)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

As a heads-up, it’ll likely be Sunday before I can wrap up properly. My apologies.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

As a heads-up, it’ll likely be Sunday before I can wrap up properly. My apologies.
    That's like only a day away...

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    That's like only a day away...
    Yeah, but I had talked about finishing on Thursday or Friday, so I still feel bad about it. I knew that doing a concert would be draining, but I hadn't banked on just how draining. All in the past now, though! Let's get this show on the road.

Build Chef Judgment from PrismCat21 Place
    Emilio Scoundrel ?? Human Swash3/Truenamer3 Zombulian 10.6 9th, Honorable Mention
    Zandrek CN Shifter Swash5/Barb1 Randuir 17.3 3rd, Bronze
    Vanessa Potshot ?? Lightfoot Halfling Rogue2/SA Fighter1/Swash3 Falontani 12.6 8th
    Swash Shielder N Badger Hengeyokai Arcane Stunt Shield of Blades Swash5/H&R Fighter1 daremetoidareyo 15.8 6th
    Swash Kneebuckler ?? Human Swash5/Crusader1 Macabaret 18.4 2nd, Silver
    Dante Otaile ?? Half-Elf Swash6 tterreb 15.4 7th
    Cassandra Nova Feroxx CG Changeling Rogue1/Swash4/Shaper1 daremetoidareyo 18.5 1st, Gold
    Ahmer Hemsea NG Kalashtar Swash3/Fighter2/Dervish1 Long_shanks 16.9 4th, Honorable Mention
    Badmar the Bold NG Human Swash3/Psy War1/Fighter2 jdizzlean 16.4 5th

Kudos to every chef who got a build in, and many thanks to PrismCat21 for judging! Congrats to daremetoidareyo for gold, to Macabaret for silver, and to Randuir for bronze! Also congrats to Zombulian for HM by popular vote!

I'm also awarding a second HM to Long_shanks for having the integrity to step up and deny a medal that they hadn't earned, as the unedited version of this post originally incorrectly listed Ahmer Hemsea as having 18.4 points, enough to tie for silver. This may just be a silly forum game on the web, but hey, we're still honorable and honest about it. Thank you for being that kind of person, Long_shanks!

New thread here! We'll do something special for round 10. Let's have some fun!
    Last edited by Zaq; 2018-06-24 at 05:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As thrilled as I was to earn a silver medal, I fear there has been a clerical mistake in my judging... I just realized I have a total of 16.9, not 18.4, which drops me to 4th place behind Randuir's Zandrek.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Long_shanks View Post
    As thrilled as I was to earn a silver medal, I fear there has been a clerical mistake in my judging... I just realized I have a total of 16.9, not 18.4, which drops me to 4th place behind Randuir's Zandrek.
    Updated accordingly. Thank you for your honesty!

29. - Top - End - #119

PirateCaptain

Updated accordingly. Thank you for your honesty!
    Yes, thank you. I miscalculated and didn't notice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin
    snip
    Yep. I got this wrong. However, since the contest was not officially over, there was a chance for more disputes.
    It is the contestants job to make disputes and defend their build, no one else's.

Nobody should be pointing out errors in builds or judgements, except the Chair.
    If a Judge makes an obvious error like this, message the Chair.
    Last edited by PrismCat21; 2018-06-24 at 11:24 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

It didn't really matter if Vanessa got more points, so I wasn't disputing for points, and I don't think anyone else was disputing for Vanessa to gain points, just so that those in the future that come to read for inspiration dont see the judge's point and believe that to be a hard and fast RAW. (whether it is or not at this point I don't know, however I know I believed that the TWF counting it as a light weapon was RAW enough)

Regardless of whether it is RAW or not, I want to thank PrismCat once again for stepping up to judge. If we can't settle if it RAW or not in a post or two I would suggest moving the dispute to a different thread.
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.