New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31

Default Re: Shadow of the Crimson Sun III

Erlok Spinepuller is not hard to find, as he is the tallest and biggest person in the arena. He is sitting and talking with a group of guards.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Diplomancy I use the GitP one: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/jFp...kegKhONNF.html

Aid Another has no limit in the rules as to how many can help, but it does greatly depend on the check and what is being done.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe takes note of where Spinepuller is.

He then heads back to the defensive spot to look for Astar Stormsword, Tomok Ghastsplitter, Kemlal Kyrgam, and Baolo Riverspeaker.

He asks them all (even Tomok the tiefling), "Who's the best of you at persuading other people to do things you want?"

"I ask because I need a favor. I'm good enough at smooth talk, but I'm not that good, and I need someone persuaded to sell something."

Show
    I assume that a bunch of people, knowing each other, can judge each other's relative Diplomacy bonuses and figure out who has the highest one.

Alton has 5 ranks in Diplomacy and his Diplomacy bonus is only +5. Mediocre.

3. - Top - End - #33

Kemlal Kyrgam "That would be me."

Baolo Riverspeaker "I don't 'ask' people much, so I only have a little skill."

Tomok Ghastsplitter "I can Intimidate people."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe nods to Kemlal. He gives a little nod to Baolo to acknowledge his answer, then says to Tomok, "Thanks, man, but this guy we can't intimidate. We shouldn't anyway."

He asks Astar, "What about you, Astar? Can you help persuade?"

After he elicits Astar's response, if any, Alton says, "The favor I ask of you, Kemlal, is to persuade this half-ogre to sell his Talisman of Undying Fortitude, a magical device I need pretty badly to improve my survival chances. The half-ogre's name is Erlok Spinepuller."

"We can't intimidate this guy because he's the property of the Grand Guard General of this arena. It would be suicide to piss him off. And he's nearing his freedom fight anyway. I don't want to get in the way of Spinepuller's achieving it."

"Spinepuller's probably a really good fighter, and he's on good terms with his owner, so I'm betting he doesn't really need the Talisman to survive and win. I'd like you to begin by offering 15,000 gold for it."

"I'll try to help you persuade him. I'll offer to lend him the help of Tempus, through which he is certain to prevail."

Then he asks Kemlal (and maybe Astar), "What do you say? Will you help me?"

5. - Top - End - #35

Astar Stormsword "I can help if you need it, but diplomacy is not one of the strengths. I do a bit more aggressive negotiations with a sword. Diplomacy is for the priests."

Kemlal Kyrgam "Sounds simple enough."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe says to Astar, "That's fine. Please come along and back up Kemlal's entreaty."

He nods gratefully to Kemlal and offers him his own Amulet of Allure. "Here. I lend you this to wear, for this purpose. It will help."

Once Kemlal is wearing the Amulet of Allure, Alton leads Astar and Kemlal to where Erlok Spinepuller is. He whispers, "That's him. The big guy."

He also whispers, "Oh, I should mention: I don't have the money on me right this moment. It's at the goblin store account. So we'd have to go there to transfer the money from me to him."

Alton prepares to back up Kemlal's spiel.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Hand over to Kemlal the amulet of allure.

7. - Top - End - #37

Kemlal Kyrgam approaches and talks to Erlok Spinepuller.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show

(1d20+15)[24]

Astar Stormsword's Aid (1d20+5)[6]

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe waits for Kemlal to finish talking, then steps forward and speaks in a low voice.

"In addition to the 15,000 Kemlal offered for the Talisman of Undying Fortitude you got, I'm offering this to sweeten the deal."

"You're coming up to your freedom fight, correct? Might be an easy fight, or it might be the hardest you ever fought, right?"

"Well, if you take this deal, I offer you the favor and blessings of Mighty Tempus, god of battle. I'll load you up with so many protections and augmentations, you'll be sure to CRUSH your opposition and win your freedom."

"Only exception is if your designated opponent is me, Kemlal here, Astar Stormsword, the halfling Baolo Riverspeaker, or the tiefling Tomok Ghastsplitter. They're my allies and I won't help against them."

"So take Kemlal's excellent deal."

Show
    Aid Another to Kemlal's Diplomacy check: Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[12]

Hopefully the offer of empowering Erlok for his freedom fight helps also.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-06-11 at 12:18 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Erlok Spinepuller smiles and looks down at the three of you.

Erlok Spinepuller "Well, that is right generous and nice of all of you.

But I can't do it. I don't own any of this stuff. I don't even own me. I can't sell or give away what is not mine.

Plus my owner has everything trapped, curses and evil ghosts and such.

But if they were mine to sell I'd sure take your offer!"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe goes still, then he struggles to control his reaction.

He wants to scream in rage. He wants to howl vile epithets, especially against the goblin clerk who, in retrospect, sold him 1000 gold worth of entirely useless information.

He thinks angrily: Aluendale, is there any chance at all that a slave like me will have any chance of approaching and persuading the Great Guard General?

I'm guessing there isn't, but feel free to tell me otherwise.

11. - Top - End - #41

Aluendale Maendellyn "I doubt it.

Like, you might want to try and buy it from the owner....but he likely does not need the money.

And you don't have much to offer that he can't get.

Really, you might have just as much of a chance buying the item from your owner."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe sighs. Aloud, he says to Erlok, "Thanks anyway for hearing our offer."

He says to Astar and Kemlal, "Let's go, men."

He goes back to the defensive spot and says to Baolo and Tomok, "No go." He lies down and sulks a bit, trying to figure out what next to do.

Alton waits until sundown, which is when he expects Irella Kymeri and Zelandra Duskmoon to arrive.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-06-15 at 02:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

A couple of red fur footed halflings are walking around, but they don't look your way or do anything that you can see.

As evening comes, of course the usual crowds start coming in.

Zelandra Duskmoon stands out a bit in her black and white robes.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe goes to Zelandra. Around 5 paces away, he bows to her deeply. "Lady Zelandra Duskmoon of Myrkul. Greetings."

"I've come to collect my portion of the winnings for Baolo Riverspeaker's victory in the arena."

He waits hopefully, and he tactfully does not mention the amount owed.

Show
    Alton withdrew from the goblin store 10,000 and bet it with Zelandra at 2:1 odds. In the event of his winning his bet, she collects a third.

Not sure if Zelandra collects a third of the gross or a third of the net win.

1. If of the total, then one-third of 20,000 is 6,666, and Alton receives 13,333.

2. If of the net win, then one-third of 10,000 is 3,333, and Alton receives 10,000 (his original bet) and 6,666.

Alton will find out, I guess, from Zelandra's actions which of the above 2 possibilities is the correct one.

Relevant links here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...postcount=1378

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...postcount=1384

15. - Top - End - #45

Zelandra hands over a white bag with 13,333 gold coins.

Zelandra Duskmoon "Well again, Alton the Axe. I see you are well and still winning. "

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe bows again, trying to seem humble and respectful as he accepts the white bag.

"Thank you, Lady Zelandra."

Then he says, "May I ask if you have heard of me fighting again anytime soon?"

In a casual voice, as if talking about the weather, he explains, "I sent another gladiator to your lord today. His owner may object to that, and arrange for me the battle my lord craves."

In fact, Alton looks around, expecting Barristol Korranton to arrive and announce that he is to fight in just a few minutes.

Show
    Accept the 13,333 gold.

Show
    All in gold coins, not in diamonds?

I ask because in the past large amounts of gold have been transferred in diamonds.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-06-18 at 11:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Zelandra Duskmoon "No, I have not heard your name mentioned.

It's too bad you can't put all your fights in the arena for us to watch."

Show

It's a bag of coins this time.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

That was a joke, right? Alton the Axe laughs sycophantically just in case, to ingratiate himself with the senior and free cleric.

"But I break so many rules when I fight on my own, Lady Zelandra. As many rules as I can. The only code I follow then is that of Tempus."

He hefts the enormous and very heavy bag of coins, quite easily since he's wearing the belt of storm giant strength. It woulds be a massive burden otherwise.

"May I humbly ask why you gave me the money in coins this time, Lady Zelandra? Usually you give much of it in diamonds."

19. - Top - End - #49

Zelandra Duskmoon "Some rules are made to be broken...like some bones.

Oh, no real reason. I had the coins so I brought them. I don't think you ever mentioned how you wanted the money. "

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton says, "As you say, Lady. But I'm only a slave. I have to toe the line enough so that the management doesn't execute me for not giving the paying audience audience a good show. It sharply limits the tactics I can use in the arena."

Alton the Axe says, "If it's all the same with you, Lady, I'd prefer them mostly in diamonds. Especially for this much money."

"Mostly because of the mess they'd make if the bag ever broke and the coins spilled out. Can you imagine the time it would take, gathering up so many?"
    He chuckles.

He asks, just to be sure, and because he doesn't want to overstep himself with a free Thayvian, "That's all right with you, right?"

Alton pretends to cringe a little in concern over Zelandra's displeasure. He doesn't mind fawning over Zelandra, because she's been very helpful and has not cheated him, and she's also a powerful cleric. Divine power of that magnitude demands respect, at least when that person is either neutral or friendly.

After that exchange, Alton asks, "Will there be anything else, Lady Zelandra? If not, I'll not take up more of your valuable time."

21. - Top - End - #51

Zelandra seems just as casual and a bit distracted as always, as if nothing you said effected her at all.

Zelandra Duskmoon "Diamonds are fine with me. Much easier to carry too.

Until your next fight, at least. "

Zelandra Duskmoon nods and heads off to find a seat.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton bows again, then goes looking for Irella Kymeri.

If and when he finds her, he says, "I'd like to place some orders again for some potions and oils."

He hesitates, then adds, "I'd also like some help, if you want to provide it to a slave like me."

23. - Top - End - #53

It take a little time, but you do find Irella Kymeri.

Irella Kymeri. "What do you need? I can see what I can do."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe grins in relief as he finds Irella.

"Thanks, Irella. First of all, I need 2 more potions of Invisibility."

"I also need 3 doses of Oil of Darkness. I got the idea from the followers of Shar. They use Darkness they can see through, so they blind their opponents. Seems a great tactic, one I want to use."

"250 each, so 1250 for the 5 potions and oils, right?"

He sighs. "The reason I know the Sharrans use that tactic is because, well, I picked Vargash the Black recently. He used Darkness against me, but I saw through it. Only he turned out to be a Shadow Fetch, so Vargash is still alive."

"The Sharrans will probably send something deadly against me soon, like wraiths."

"I would like some better defense against energy drain and other death effects. Soulfire armor, or a Talisman of Undying Fortitude. Could you, like, buy such an item for me, or point me towards someone who has or can get me such an item?"

He waits for Irella's response.

Show
    Reference:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Ultron View Post
    Irella Kymeri "Greater invisibility won't work as a potion, it's too powerful to be held in liquid form. Again, you'd want a ring for that...a ring of greater invisibility. It's expensive too. But the standard ring of invisibility is cheap enough.

A potion of invisibility is 250 gold. "

25. - Top - End - #55

Irella Kymeri "Oil of Darkness is 300 gold. and you do understand you cat use darkness in an arena fight...they want to see the fight.

Well, you need to watch that slave in fighting...it can get you into trouble. But as far as I know, the lady as not been approached by anyone about you....yet.

Protection from death effects? Can't your own divine power do that? It's a common enough magic to ward ones life force.

I can ask about getting you a trinket. Though it would be a bit faster for you to just get one yourself. I'm not sure if the local temple of Talona makes such items of necromancy like the ones you mentioned. They tend to stick more to poison items...but maybe someone could make a custom item. Or maybe you could get one from any of the faiths more about life and death and undeath. Ones with a focus in necromatuc magic. They might have one to sell."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe says, "I don't plan on using Darkness in a regular arena fight."

"300 gold for Oil of Darkness. So for 2 potions of Invisibility and 3 Oil of Darkness, that's 1400, right?"

"I have some gold here. Can I pay you in advance? Do you have a sack I can pour the coin into?"
    Because it would lighten the load of coin he carries.

In response to her other remarks, he answers, "Of course it will get me in trouble. But I kinda like trouble. Battle is Tempus, and I serve him."

"Of course they won't approach Lady Vesorianna. She's very powerful, not like the usual merchants who are easily threatened and intimidated."

Alton tries to keep the frustration off his face and out of his voice. He nods respectfully and says, "I can cast Death Ward, yes. But I expect to be attacked by surprise, so I need something that is either permanent, like Soulfire Armor, or that can be activated swiftly, like a Talisman."

"I tried, I really tried, to get the protection on my own. Each time, the target turned out to be fake, to dupe me, or the target and all his items were teleported away when I slew him. On my last attempt, I learned that the target's items are all cursed if someone not their rightful wearer uses 'em."

He bows again to show respect and adds, "So I would really appreciate any help you can give me in acquiring such an item. I've followed all the leads in this arena. They turned out to be dead ends."
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2018-06-25 at 01:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Irella Kymeri "You can pay now, I can have your items tomorrow. I have a money pouch of holding."

She holds open her money pouch.

"Well, it should not be to surprising that the property owners protect their properties.

And dead ends for a necromancy item...how appropriate.

Still, you might be a better gladiator with one. The talisman seems simple enough. I'm sure plenty of fighter types might have one.

I take it you would not be above killing someone for your talisman? I could have a name for you by tomorrow after noon."

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe counts out coins into the pouch until 1400 gold coins are deposited. He eyes the item with admiration. "Nice. How many does it hold? I guess it only holds coins?"

Alton chuckles in appreciation for Irella's little joke.

He asks, "Would the target currently holding the item be in this arena, or somewhere else? A private free owner, or another slave somewhere else?"

Alton asks with real concern. If the target is in this arena, he'd have to ask if the target were a Good person, for fear of offending his allies Astar and Tomok.

If not in this arena, though, what Astar and Tomok don't know about won't hurt them.

Alton hefts the sack or sacks of coins and frowns. "Still a bit too heavy."

As politely and deferentially as he can, he says, "Irella, I know I don't have the right to ask, but would it be convenient right now for you to change about 10,000 gold for diamonds?"

"Only if it's convenient for you. Otherwise, no need to bother."
    he hastens to assure the potion-brewer.

Show
    Give Irella 1400 gold.

On hand gold = 100 (to start) + 13,333 - 1400 = 12,033.

Show
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/wealthAndMoney.htm

The standard coin weighs about a third of an ounce (fifty to the pound).
    If 50 coins = 1 pound, then 10,000 gold = 200 pounds.

This is actually feasible for Alton's current Strength, but still very bulky.

29. - Top - End - #59

Irella Kymeri "The target? Who knows, who cares? Not like it matters. If they are weak, they will die.

I have ten 1000 gold diamonds if you want to exchange."

Irella pulls ten small diamonds out of another belt pouch.

Show

Really, you don't want to get caught up in the 'coins' too much: it just does not make sense.

To carry around 10,000 is silly (feel free to try it with any modern coin)

And...there is not really enough gold in the world to even make like 10,000 gold coins..unless they were 99% iron and 1% gold.

And that still does not cover, even say the world only has like 20 dragons with huge hoards of coins that they can lay in...so like at least 100,000 coins...each?!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Alton the Axe gladly exchanges 10,000 gold for 10 diamonds each worth 1000. "Thank you."

In response to her indifference about whether the target is outside or inside the arena, Alton kicks the ground like a small boy and mutters, "As you like, Irella."

He wants to tell Irella that the consequences of slaying another arena gladiator are vastly different from that of slaying someone outside, but he suspects she won't listen and may rescind her offer.

So instead, he says, "Just so you know, the ones I've already tried to get a Talisman from are Ioluk Clubfoot and Erlok Spinepuller."

"Ioluk is dead. Spinepuller's Talisman is cursed, and also his owner is the Grand Guard General."

Show
    Exchange the money for diamonds.

Show
    All right. I'll try to keep that in mind from now on and not forget.