New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Numenera

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Numenera

I've never played this one before. Any suggestions?

I've played around with a character builder for a while, and noticed I could play a 'balanced' character, or a 'do one thing really well' character.

Which character type works better?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Numenera

That depends (duh)

Generally, I'd recommend some out of fight flexibility for every character, as there's plenty of opportunity to use all that cool abilities out of combat. And combat in Numenery is fast and not that important.

For example, If you're a Glaive who fights dirty, you have all tools needed to be one of the best combatant, there's no need to take more combat stuff. You can take dishonorable descriptor, so with your focus, you'll be much better at intimidating and lying to people. Then take "Muscles of Iron" power and choose training in some physically task. This way, you can perform physical tasks other players can't even dream of, and you're great "bad cop" in social situations.

You could take all combat stuff from glaive, and "tought" descriptor, so you would be better at fighting, but then all cool social and physical stuff is much weaker

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Good descriptors:

Foolish: Harsh penalties to intelligence, but roll twice and pick the higher on every single roll.
    Wealthy: Unlimited Inexpensive and Moderately expensive items. Kit out your whole team!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Just pick what you want to play. I have had players who enjoyed both and did well with both. I have noticed that the more you min-max in Numenera, the less you get out of it.

Also, wait for Numenera 2 - the Discovery and Destiny books - in a month or so before jumping into this game.