New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [AW] IC Skyfall: Imperfect Calibrations

Then Nine’s there, a grim avenging angel. Did you do this, doll? This whole thing because I said yes?

Or was this in the cards from the start and you and your dark passenger just wanted a Horse to feel some gratitude?

Either way, I’m all aflutter and nearly bolt right out into the bullets, and I babble out the first thing that comes to mind: “Alliance! I need Alliance transponders first! Then you’ll have the ansible!”
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanorin View Post
    The definition of Enemy here is very much depending on what side you are on, but I am under the impression that Dave is on Ahab's side, therefore, I will point my finger to the Quarian in the infirmary. Normally you'd be hard pushed to get close enough to get deep insights in to a member of that race due to their extensive protections against the elements, but she is famously without a suit, thanks to Legs. And pretty defenceless too, she's not posing much of a threat however but hetting there is not too hard since its but a stones throw from you and within the camp and plenty of cover between here and there.

Save for the Nemeans before you, which do not look particularly vulnerable right now, save for some temporary confusion as to what to do, I have to direct you over towards the Enemy camp. There is one Turian that has hunkered down a little further forwards than the rest. She is armed, but lighter than most of the others. She is alone in her chosen spot and although she has cover she is more exposed than the rest. Getting to her will be pretty damn risky though and will almost definitely draw fire.
    Knowing what little I do about Quarians, seems bustin' in there without me bein' suited and booted by the Old One or her nurses ain't a great idea. And they have plenty other things to be dealing with right now. Provided she's safe in the med tent, she ain't going anywhere, so she'll have to wait.

I look around me for something to throw- a boot's too heavy to go far, and anyways, I need it. Then I remember, and feel deep inside my sleeve. There's the cool, slim handle of a knife not much longer than my index finger. I let it slide into my hand and, before I know it, I'm coming up partially from my cover and flinging the thing at the Turian footsoldier. Whether it makes it to her or not don't really matter- but you'd have to be blind to miss how it catches the light as it goes.

[Doing Something Under Fire: 11+1=12]
    This chick is TOAST! - Dr Peter Venkman

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Then Nine’s there, a grim avenging angel. Did you do this, doll? This whole thing because I said yes?

Or was this in the cards from the start and you and your dark passenger just wanted a Horse to feel some gratitude?

Either way, I’m all aflutter and nearly bolt right out into the bullets, and I babble out the first thing that comes to mind: “Alliance! I need Alliance transponders first! Then you’ll have the ansible!”
    239 will respond by grabbing the Horse, throwing her into a fireman-carry, and swiftly exiting the battlefield along the path of least resistance.

The data is logged though. The next stage to the operation is marked. 239 allows an edge of smugness to enter her walk. Things are so nice when people tell her exactly what she needs to do in order to fulfil her Directive. So much better than the horrible scratching cacophony of having to think for herself.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I rolled 3+3, so that's a 6, but a 8 with +harm.
    Just as you are shoving the bits back in your kit from your heroic attempts at treating the good Captain a biotic blast crashes down on you from above, dodging around your cover, filling the air around you with blue energy and before you know it you are helplessly levitating in to the air and drifting across towards the Dextro camp. It doesn't last for long, just a few seconds, and the blue glow dissipates and you suddenly crash down to the dirt.

Good news, the blast was a simple and relatively low charge and save for tumbling you about a bit and getting you covered in dust and grit you're no worse off harm-wise. That and no one shot you. Yet. Bad news, you're face down in the dirt with a mouth full of sand dust, bang in the open, halfway across between the two battling camps, with no cover within immediate reach.

If you glance up ahead you can just about make out between the vehicles and makeshift cover that the Turian commander has re-joined the ranks and he's pointing at you as he speaks to his troops.

What do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Severan View Post
    Knowing what little I do about Quarians, seems bustin' in there without me bein' suited and booted by the Old One or her nurses ain't a great idea. And they have plenty other things to be dealing with right now. Provided she's safe in the med tent, she ain't going anywhere, so she'll have to wait.

I look around me for something to throw- a boot's too heavy to go far, and anyways, I need it. Then I remember, and feel deep inside my sleeve. There's the cool, slim handle of a knife not much longer than my index finger. I let it slide into my hand and, before I know it, I'm coming up partially from my cover and flinging the thing at the Turian footsoldier. Whether it makes it to her or not don't really matter- but you'd have to be blind to miss how it catches the light as it goes.

[Doing Something Under Fire: 11+1=12]
    Shots come your way as you pop your head out and throw your knives but you're quick enough to keep clear. Judging by the fact that that last shot came from the Turian you just aimed at, you seem to have succeeded in catching her attention. She's got her weapon trained on you ready to shoot next time you appear.

What do you do?
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-11-04 at 02:14 PM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

"Just because I'm sorry doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it at the time."
    ~ Snow Patrol

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Quarian is a she. Her secret pains is her betrayal of the Dextro camp in seeking you. You see it now, with uncanny clarity. She was no spy. She sought you, against the wishes (and likely knowledge) of her fellow Quarians. This Quarian you have secured in Kal'kolak's infirmary still believes in the alliance of the council races. Is it hard to imagine Legs being a smidge too keen to jump to conclusions, to seize and torture first and ask questions later?

Other than that, she hides the fact that she has managed to make contact off-world. Not even her sister knows, and that eats her the most, as it is her most desperate determination to get a transmission out.

Sheets are rippling in the wind, flapping and fraying, reflecting the bright sun and bathing everything in a red light. That green-armoured Turian stands before you. It's hard to tell with Turians but he might be smiling a little. Even then he looks fierce and menacing. He stares straight at you and his gaze feel like it would burrow hard in to your skin, but your skin is hard, it is cool metal, perfect and synthetic.

Somewhere near you hear breathing, like someone is running.

The Turian Commander walks towards you and his armour is gone. His clothes are worn and patched but none of what he wears comes from Earth. The sheets bend in the wind and wrap in the air, shielding you intimately in red all around.

Somewhere near you can smell the salty scent of sweat. It trickles over your skin in little beads and drops. Somewhere near.

The Turian reaches out his empty hand in expectation towards you. You realise there is nothing in your hands or by your feet to place in it. His three-fingered hand remains, reaching patiently for you.

Somewhere near you can feel the muffled pain of bruises forming around your wrists, on your legs, on your shoulders and neck. But your skin is hard. Your skin is metal. You are unbreakable.

"It's been too long," his voice is layered and deep and you know he will hurt you. "Your human shape is growing on me. What's her name? Ahab?"
    "There is no better shape, you'll agree," she says, and even as the vision is still burning behind her eyes, she grabs onto the shark mech and swings herself up to replace Tenshi in the driver's seat. Time for her to take charge.

"Tenshi," she commands, "The prisoner has vital information. Take the Tarrasque and two of the Sirens, pick a handful of men - not Legs - and defend the Infirmary. Defend the prisoner. Park the dragon in front, and anything tries to get in - anything - you crush it. Nothing and no one enters or leaves the Infirmary until the enemy is destroyed."

"LEGS!" she yells, next.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

If you glance up ahead you can just about make out between the vehicles and makeshift cover that the Turian commander has re-joined the ranks and he's pointing at you as he speaks to his troops.

What do you do?
    I'm a doctor, not a warrior, god damn it! If you think I'm getting up and running through all this hailstorm of bullets and bombs and anything else, think again. I'm getting down on the ground and being as flat of a target as possible. I care about not getting shot, I can sort out the rest later.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

7. - Top - End - #187

Shots come your way as you pop your head out and throw your knives but you're quick enough to keep clear. Judging by the fact that that last shot came from the Turian you just aimed at, you seem to have succeeded in catching her attention. She's got her weapon trained on you ready to shoot next time you appear.

What do you do?
    She's got me in her sights, an' I don't much want my head being blown off, so I stay ducked down. I take off one of my boots- worn, don't look too good, smell worse- grab it by the laces and start spinnin' it over my head, where I reckon she can see. Sometimes all you need is a distraction.

[Rolling for Direct Brain Whisper: 8+2=10]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stveje View Post
    "There is no better shape, you'll agree," she says, and even as the vision is still burning behind her eyes, she grabs onto the shark mech and swings herself up to replace Tenshi in the driver's seat. Time for her to take charge.
    "Mmmm…" echoes the voice of the Turian in your ears as the vision fades, but not before you feel two three-fingered hands against your sjin, under your clothes.

"Tenshi," she commands, "The prisoner has vital information. Take the Tarrasque and two of the Sirens, pick a handful of men - not Legs - and defend the Infirmary. Defend the prisoner. Park the dragon in front, and anything tries to get in - anything - you crush it. Nothing and no one enters or leaves the Infirmary until the enemy is destroyed."
    [You are at the frontline and you are the most sought target, getting out of cover and on board the Shark, you're acting under fire.]

"Got it, Captain!" Tenshi shouts as he jumps down from the Mech and runs back for cover amidst flying bullets, and on towards the camp.

On the Shark with you is Foray and Kin, both armed and already laying down cover fire for you boarding and Tenshi getting away. Foray who's been with you since a kid, sits closest shooting automatic fire at the enemy camp. Kin is huddled at the back, hurling her favourite home-made firebombs.

"LEGS!" she yells, next.
    Legs is nowhere near. He ran off as hell broke lose and took the cannisters with him. There's no sight of him.

"I think he headed back towards the camp, Captain!" Kin hollers from the back. "I haven't seen him since the shooting started, though, but he was headed that way!" she points back towards the camp, away from the enemy, roughly in the direction of the Nemeans and the Infirmary. Tenshi is already halfway there.

Up ahead lies Kal'kolak in the middle of the firing line, trying to make herself as flat as possible, the next moment the enemy grabs her with another biotic attack. Perhaps Legs would have been able to counter it had he been here, but he's not and she flies helplessly in to enemy hands.

What do you do?

I'm a doctor, not a warrior, god damn it! If you think I'm getting up and running through all this hailstorm of bullets and bombs and anything else, think again. I'm getting down on the ground and being as flat of a target as possible. I care about not getting shot, I can sort out the rest later.
    Wise move.

It's perhaps a minute before the next biotic hit grabs you and you are sent tumbing through the air, through enemy lines, and on to the ground behind their defensive line. Above you stands an armed Turian in green battle armour and alongside him are two Quarians, one of which is Stars.

"Are you the Doctor?" he demands, his voice vibrating with the strange dual notes of Turians.

What do you do?

She's got me in her sights, an' I don't much want my head being blown off, so I stay ducked down. I take off one of my boots- worn, don't look too good, smell worse- grab it by the laces and start spinnin' it over my head, where I reckon she can see. Sometimes all you need is a distraction.

[Rolling for Direct Brain Whisper: 8+2=10]
    Cool, what is it you whisper? What's your demand? For her to just cave and take the hit? Surrender?

Meanwhile Tenshi is running hell for leather straight towards you, he's seen you and he's seeking you.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-11-11 at 07:36 AM.
    "For love is no part of the dreamworld. Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes, I'm the doctor" I say, holding my hands out palms up so they can see I'm not doing anything. I am both coming off the drug high and very vulnerable right now. Being a doctor is at least a sort of safety. It's being more useful alive than dead, it's not getting immediately shot, and hopefully it's Ahab pulling off a daring rescue. And well, I'm a doctor, I heal people, whoever needs it. I'm not going to decline that just because I'm in another camp now.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

239, White Horse, one way or another you are looking to make off from the scene. Perhaps together, perhaps one is trying to ditch the other, either way your most direct path away from fighting, flying bullets and aliens of uncertain morals, is intercepted. Nine women stand in your path and you both know them well enough, K-9 and her gang of bloodthirsty warriors. Days like today is what they live for and they are armed and dressed for the occasion, complete with painted faces and trophy 'jewellery'. It is clear as day they are spoiling for a fight.

K-9 tilts her head to the side as she catches your attention.

"Running from the fight, chicks? One might question your... loyalties."

The eight women behind her grin, showing their teeth. There's the odd amused nudge and another drawing her gun.

"You in particular, White Horse. Are you not breathing borrowed air already? You ought to be careful, in case your trouble tips the scale against your, heh, worth," she says and plays with the machete in her hand.

"And, Nine, is that sh't in the infirmary your idea of a diversion? Well I didn't fall for it."

What do you do?

"Yes, I'm the doctor" I say, holding my hands out palms up so they can see I'm not doing anything. I am both coming off the drug high and very vulnerable right now. Being a doctor is at least a sort of safety. It's being more useful alive than dead, it's not getting immediately shot, and hopefully it's Ahab pulling off a daring rescue. And well, I'm a doctor, I heal people, whoever needs it. I'm not going to decline that just because I'm in another camp now.
    "Good. Get up," he orders and steps a step back to allow you to get yourself back up on your feet. In a moment you hear the charge of two Haliat Stiletto pistols aimed straight at you in the hands of each of the two Quarians.

"Don't try to run," Stars warns you before motioning you to move further inside the camp. "We have use for you but after today we're not patient with theatrics and bravado."
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-11-11 at 06:35 PM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

11. - Top - End - #191

239, White Horse, one way or another you are looking to make off from the scene. Perhaps together, perhaps one is trying to ditch the other, either way your most direct path away from fighting, flying bullets and aliens of uncertain morals, is intercepted. Nine women stand in your path and you both know them well enough, K-9 and her gang of bloodthirsty warriors. Days like today is what they live for and they are armed and dressed for the occasion, complete with painted faces and trophy 'jewellery'. It is clear as day they are spoiling for a fight.

K-9 tilts her head to the side as she catches your attention.

"Running from the fight, chicks? One might question your... loyalties."

The eight women behind her grin, showing their teeth. There's the odd amused nudge and another drawing her gun.

"You in particular, White Horse. Are you not breathing borrowed air already? You ought to be careful, in case your trouble tips the scale against your, heh, worth," she says and plays with the machete in her hand.

"And, Nine, is that sh't in the infirmary your idea of a diversion? Well I didn't fall for it."

What do you do?
    While 239 wouldn't lose a single processing cycle about engaging in a short range gunfight under these circumstances, she is carrying a HVT and can't afford the crossfire. With great reluctance she cedes control to her negotiation package and starts pulling up what she had sincerely hoped would be irrelevant psych profiles.

It's an especially arduous process because her mind is still filled with viruses who have their own suggestions as to where to steer this situation. She remains eerie still while she's thinking, not even performing basic posturing like charging her plasma carbine.

[Read a person at -1 from viruses: 8. How could I get you to let us past?]

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

“All air is borrowed from what’s before us,” I say, clinging to the robot who has decided to kidnap me away from the possibility of getting shot, which I can’t exactly say I disagree with, really? “We stare at what was and back into what is, blind, drowning with every breath.”
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    While 239 wouldn't lose a single processing cycle about engaging in a short range gunfight under these circumstances, she is carrying a HVT and can't afford the crossfire. With great reluctance she cedes control to her negotiation package and starts pulling up what she had sincerely hoped would be irrelevant psych profiles.

It's an especially arduous process because her mind is still filled with viruses who have their own suggestions as to where to steer this situation. She remains eerie still while she's thinking, not even performing basic posturing like charging her plasma carbine.

[Read a person at -1 from viruses: 8. How could I get you to let us past?]
    You know that old thing about if you can't beat them, join them, right? Well, K-9 and her posse are nothing if not ambitious. You, your gang and White Horse - one of the best techs in this hemisphere, you have a pretty solid base of influence there, especially when paired with the K-9 warrior band. Together you'd be a force to be reckoned with, probably even give Ahab pause. Maybe even pause enough to make K-9 second in command just to keep the peace and quell any talk of mutiny. You know K-9 would seriously consider that. Of course, that would put you under her rule, but them's the breaks, she'd let you through but she'll probably seek to ensure your loyalty by sending one of hers along with you.

If you can't join them, then you're gonna have to beat them. Only about half of your gang is nearby so it's a pretty even match if you choose to draw weapons here. You have more hi-tech but the Ladoga K-9 are still armed and they are f'cking brutal and ruthless with those weapons. A shootout is likely to end up hurting like hell and with losses on both sides, but you are Nemeans and better armoured. Leader against leader, though. There you stand perhaps the best chance, and K-9 subscribes to old warrior code, challenge her and she will be much too proud while stood before her gang not to accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    “All air is borrowed from what’s before us,” I say, clinging to the robot who has decided to kidnap me away from the possibility of getting shot, which I can’t exactly say I disagree with, really? “We stare at what was and back into what is, blind, drowning with every breath.”
    "...yeah." K-9 said, frowning a little but shoves the deep existential comments aside. "So why running away? Us girls should stick together," she adds a smile which is not to be believed. "Even weird alien ones. Don't you think?"
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-11-12 at 04:58 AM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

14. - Top - End - #194

[You are at the frontline and you are the most sought target, getting out of cover and on board the Shark, you're acting under fire.]
    2+5+0 = 7

What do you do?
    Well, that's great.

I'll wait to see what the result of my 7-9 is, before I answer that question.

15. - Top - End - #195

"...yeah." K-9 said, frowning a little but shoves the deep existential comments aside. "So why running away? Us girls should stick together," she adds a smile which is not to be believed. "Even weird alien ones. Don't you think?"
    "Proposal accepted," said 239, opting to lean into the weird robot monotone bit. "We shall acknowledge your authority IF_AND_ONLY_IF we have free reign to construct an off-world signal array to request CASEVAC for my pilot while under your protection."

She hoists White Horse off her shoulder, plants her firmly on the ground, and rotates her so she's facing K-9. It is quietly plain how much choice she has in this arrangement.

"The safety of my pilot is my primary concern," she said, just wanting to get this part out of the way now. "Any threat to my directive will be dealt with via lethal force."

239 isn't particularly fussed about this whole thing. She had been more reluctant to throw in with Stars given - wisely in retrospect - her beef with Ahab along with her threat to her directive. But a bunch of heavily armed gunluggers with no ambitions other than being the baddest chicks on the block? Those were perfect friends.

16. - Top - End - #196

Cool, what is it you whisper? What's your demand? For her to just cave and take the hit? Surrender?
    Meanwhile Tenshi is running hell for leather straight towards you, he's seen you and he's seeking you.
    Surrendering ain't much of an option- I don't have a gun, an' she's surrounded by them who'd just as happily kill me if she stopped trying.

And then I really don't like that Tenshi's coming at me. I do what Ahab asks, most of time anyways, but this guy is on a different level. He's the kind of loyal that gets you dead.

I'd been thinkin' of playin' a little with the soldier girl, but I can see I ain't gonna have the time. So I send my message through the cracklin' air, just as Tenshi's almost on me.

Cover us- shoot into your own line.
    Last edited by Severan; 2018-11-12 at 05:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"Good. Get up," he orders and steps a step back to allow you to get yourself back up on your feet. In a moment you hear the charge of two Haliat Stiletto pistols aimed straight at you in the hands of each of the two Quarians.

"Don't try to run," Stars warns you before motioning you to move further inside the camp. "We have use for you but after today we're not patient with theatrics and bravado."
    I keep my hands up and chop off a laughing snort. "You've been watching the Horse too much then. I'm a doctor, I heal people. Please don't shoot me." And let them escort me wherever they're going to escort me.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

2+5+0 = 7

Well, that's great.

I'll wait to see what the result of my 7-9 is, before I answer that question.
    Miss Leviathan arriving on the battlefield has upped the ante and the assault from the other side is no longer limited to gunfire and biotics. Two separate explosions hit not too far from you as grenades begin to land. You can see the grenade launchers coming out, one on top of one of their armoured vehicles, its aim coming your way, in fact it's coming straight for the Shark and you hesitate as you realise that. You have a choice to make:
    - If you move double speed you'll make it on and you'll be able to turn away enough to just dodge the missile as it whistles past, of course, behind you is the Infirmary and Tenshi is still running and hasn't reached it yet, no less had a chance to fortify it. It will take the blast instead.
    - Or you could hesitate a moment longer and let the Shark take a missile to the face. We're talking 4-harm to the Shark with 3-harm blow through to Kin and Foray inside, but while you will feel the blast, and get showered with shrapnel and dust, it won't hit you.

"Proposal accepted," said 239, opting to lean into the weird robot monotone bit. "We shall acknowledge your authority IF_AND_ONLY_IF we have free reign to construct an off-world signal array to request CASEVAC for my pilot while under your protection."

She hoists White Horse off her shoulder, plants her firmly on the ground, and rotates her so she's facing K-9. It is quietly plain how much choice she has in this arrangement.

"The safety of my pilot is my primary concern," she said, just wanting to get this part out of the way now. "Any threat to my directive will be dealt with via lethal force."

239 isn't particularly fussed about this whole thing. She had been more reluctant to throw in with Stars given - wisely in retrospect - her beef with Ahab along with her threat to her directive. But a bunch of heavily armed gunluggers with no ambitions other than being the baddest chicks on the block? Those were perfect friends.
    "What?" K-9 was clearly not expecting this. She was all set to begin hacking away at you two.

She looks you over, head to toe, and each of the Nemeans with you. "Your gang too?" she asks, clearly smelling power and pretending to be unaffected by its appeal. The mention of building an array doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest.

"And White Horse? Will you follow me too?"

Surrendering ain't much of an option- I don't have a gun, an' she's surrounded by them who'd just as happily kill me if she stopped trying.

And then I really don't like that Tenshi's coming at me. I do what Ahab asks, most of time anyways, but this guy is on a different level. He's the kind of loyal that gets you dead.

I'd been thinkin' of playin' a little with the soldier girl, but I can see I ain't gonna have the time. So I send my message through the cracklin' air, just as Tenshi's almost on me.

Cover us- shoot into your own line.
    Asking someone to shoot at their own people is a big ask. She hesitates and trembles, her weapon is down but she drops it rather than aim it back on her own kind and the words you whispered form invisible strands of barbed wire as they begin to burrow in to her mind. She clasps her head and buckles over, blood dripping from her nose. Her mouth opens to scream but the barbed wire snakes around her throat, doing your bidding. Tell me, do you make her scream, or do you force her to suffer in silence?

I keep my hands up and chop off a laughing snort. "You've been watching the Horse too much then. I'm a doctor, I heal people. Please don't shoot me." And let them escort me wherever they're going to escort me.
    They bring you along and inside one of the more heavily armed vehicles amid cries of "They're bringing out the Shark!" and you see grenade launchers being brought out and mounted on vehicles. One on top of the armoured personnel carrier that you're in. It's a heavily modified vehicle with what looks like the body of another welded on top of it, allowing for comfortable standing room inside, even for the Turians.

There are a few wounded in here, three Quarians and a Turian, but the Turian Commander stops you before you have a chance to take a closer look at any of them.

"How do we get the human to back the hell down?" he asks.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-11-16 at 06:36 AM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

They bring you along and inside one of the more heavily armed vehicles amid cries of "They're bringing out the Shark!" and you see grenade launchers being brought out and mounted on vehicles. One on top of the armoured personnel carrier that you're in. It's a heavily modified vehicle with what looks like the body of another welded on top of it, allowing for comfortable standing room inside, even for the Turians.

There are a few wounded in here, three Quarians and a Turian, but the Turian Commander stops you before you have a chance to take a closer look at any of them.

"How do we get the human to back the hell down?" he asks.
    "You want Ahab to back the hell down?" I swear, is everything these people say going to be met with an incredulous laugh? I think they're quickly picking up a good track record on that front. Well, I attempt not to make them feel too belittled, there are a lot of guns and I hate it when easily offended people have guns. "I think you may be misunderstanding your situation. You can shoot Ahab until she stops moving, you can surrender, or she'll get around to killing or capturing you. That's pretty much it."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

20. - Top - End - #200

Asking someone to shoot at their own people is a big ask. She hesitates and trembles, her weapon is down but she drops it rather than aim it back on her own kind and the words you whispered form invisible strands of barbed wire as they begin to burrow in to her mind. She clasps her head and buckles over, blood dripping from her nose. Her mouth opens to scream but the barbed wire snakes around her throat, doing your bidding. Tell me, do you make her scream, or do you force her to suffer in silence?
    I watch her struggling with my suggestion rattlin' round her brain, like a wasp in a jar. If she went with it, it would hardly hurt at all. So I wonder, what it is that makes her protective of them? Is it a biological 'keep the species alive' thing, or just a fear of losing control? Or is it the 'loyalty' thing, what Tenshi does?

I think I sometimes get close to a loyalty thing with Ahab, but that's just the practicalities of stayin' alive. I'd never suffer an agony instead of somebody else. It's irrational.

What would they do for her, if they had the same dilemma? Would they save her?

Or, what would they do now if she started, say, tearing at her own skin?

I feel the dark strands of thought connecting me to her and pull, slowly, tighter.

She can scream. I bet it sounds beautiful.
    Last edited by Severan; 2018-11-18 at 10:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #201

"What?" K-9 was clearly not expecting this. She was all set to begin hacking away at you two.

She looks you over, head to toe, and each of the Nemeans with you. "Your gang too?" she asks, clearly smelling power and pretending to be unaffected by its appeal. The mention of building an array doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest.
    239 ran two calculations. The additional leverage over K-9 gained by making her think she had an army of loyal combat suits verses the added responsibility of having to deal with it when those walking virus canisters screwed up in public.

Calculation two won out handily, and she was about to declaim responsibility for them, when calculation one made the nasty little point that she'd get blamed for whatever they did anyway.

"Yes," she said blankly and left it at that.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

"You want Ahab to back the hell down?" I swear, is everything these people say going to be met with an incredulous laugh? I think they're quickly picking up a good track record on that front. Well, I attempt not to make them feel too belittled, there are a lot of guns and I hate it when easily offended people have guns. "I think you may be misunderstanding your situation. You can shoot Ahab until she stops moving, you can surrender, or she'll get around to killing or capturing you. That's pretty much it."
    "Everyone wants something, Doctor, as sure as the spinning of the worlds. She's not a machine."

"Even the machines have desires these days," Stars comments, gun still aimed at you.

"What is it Ahab is after? What is it we have that she wants?" The Commander continues. His tone is calm and collected, but his fists are tightening.

I watch her struggling with my suggestion rattlin' round her brain, like a wasp in a jar. If she went with it, it would hardly hurt at all. So I wonder, what it is that makes her protective of them? Is it a biological 'keep the species alive' thing, or just a fear of losing control? Or is it the 'loyalty' thing, what Tenshi does?

I think I sometimes get close to a loyalty thing with Ahab, but that's just the practicalities of stayin' alive. I'd never suffer an agony instead of somebody else. It's irrational.

What would they do for her, if they had the same dilemma? Would they save her?

Or, what would they do now if she started, say, tearing at her own skin?

I feel the dark strands of thought connecting me to her and pull, slowly, tighter.

She can scream. I bet it sounds beautiful.
    Oh she screams alright, and although it's not like you're actually killing her, it certainly sounds like you are. She is pleading to the departed, blabbering to ghosts to help her, before she crawls back in to cover and out of your sight. You can still hear her cries though.

Tenshi arrives, skidding to a halt next to you on the gritty ground. He throws a glance in the direction of your gaze and the screaming Turian, a brief cloud seem to pass over him but is quickly dismissed.

"You're with me, Dave. We have to defend the Infirmary. Wheel or shotgun?" he asks as he begins to check for when it's clear to make another dash, his eyes set on two of the Sirens stood a bit further away.

239 ran two calculations. The additional leverage over K-9 gained by making her think she had an army of loyal combat suits verses the added responsibility of having to deal with it when those walking virus canisters screwed up in public.

Calculation two won out handily, and she was about to declaim responsibility for them, when calculation one made the nasty little point that she'd get blamed for whatever they did anyway.

"Yes," she said blankly and left it at that.
    Blue, at your side, turns his head to look at you. He says nothing but tilts his head in a rather human way that indicates a question. His face is as blank as yours, hidden behind the visor.

K-9 offers you a genuine and very pleased grin. The best day ever clearly just got Better. "Call them here. All of them. I don't want any... misunderstandings."
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

23. - Top - End - #203

Miss Leviathan arriving on the battlefield has upped the ante and the assault from the other side is no longer limited to gunfire and biotics. Two separate explosions hit not too far from you as grenades begin to land. You can see the grenade launchers coming out, one on top of one of their armoured vehicles, its aim coming your way, in fact it's coming straight for the Shark and you hesitate as you realise that. You have a choice to make:
    - If you move double speed you'll make it on and you'll be able to turn away enough to just dodge the missile as it whistles past, of course, behind you is the Infirmary and Tenshi is still running and hasn't reached it yet, no less had a chance to fortify it. It will take the blast instead.
    - Or you could hesitate a moment longer and let the Shark take a missile to the face. We're talking 4-harm to the Shark with 3-harm blow through to Kin and Foray inside, but while you will feel the blast, and get showered with shrapnel and dust, it won't hit you.
    Okay ...

If Ahab knows Legs at all, he wouldn't dare run like this unless he intended to be very far away and not returning, or he's got some hare-brained plan for a ready excuse. She can only hope he's running for the HYDRA with those canisters, because he'd better have some other, really amazing plan in mind if that's not it. Either way, nothing she can do about it here and now.

More important and immediate concerns and all that.

The Shark will have to take a hit. It's moderately armored, so one hit shouldn't stop it, and hopefully Kin and Foray know to keep their heads down. It'll hurt, but she'll hurt the enemy worse ...

Ahab sees the grenade coming her way and hesitates for one deliberate second. Even before the flames and shrapnel has cleared, she's climbing up the Shark and forcing the reeling machine around, aiming right at the enemy tank. Its mouth starts to charge, its throat a gateway to the flaming pits of Hell itself.

[4-2=2 Harm to the Shark, 3-2=1 blow-through to Kin and Foray. Some minor functional, field-patchable damage to the Shark.

Go Aggro: 5+3+3 = 11]

They have exactly as long as it takes the shark to recover its bearings and charge its weapon to fall to their knees and give her what she wants, unconditionally, or suffer.

"Everyone wants something, Doctor, as sure as the spinning of the worlds. She's not a machine."

"Even the machines have desires these days," Stars comments, gun still aimed at you.

"What is it Ahab is after? What is it we have that she wants?" The Commander continues. His tone is calm and collected, but his fists are tightening
    I want to point out that unless they have their ... whatever counts for ears in Turians ... filled with old socks, they know very well what Ahab wants. They could just give her Stars.

Of course, they're hoping for something else, no doubt.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

24. - Top - End - #204

Blue, at your side, turns his head to look at you. He says nothing but tilts his head in a rather human way that indicates a question. His face is as blank as yours, hidden behind the visor.

K-9 offers you a genuine and very pleased grin. The best day ever clearly just got Better. "Call them here. All of them. I don't want any... misunderstandings."
    A flash of deeply unreasonable justified anger aggressive subject analysis breaks out in 239's mind. Blue is using body language on her? He is attempting to communicate nonverbally using human nonverbal coding while in the presence of actual humans? Instead of just communicating via wireless frequency like a command and control unit is meant to do?

She felt like pinning him down and running him through a manual reset to factory defaults. She didn't know why she found that look so insulting. But either way, out of sheer irritation she'd already run the analysis to decode and infer the gesture.

[Read a person 7: What do you wish I'd do?]

"Enact," she said in a perfectly level robotic monotone at Blue. All the frosty acid she wanted to soak that word in was contained to her own mind. Like a proper Nemean.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

"What is it Ahab is after? What is it we have that she wants?" The Commander continues. His tone is calm and collected, but his fists are tightening.
    "Listen, I'm going to level with you. I have not been paying any attention to this." I adjust my jacket and settle into a lecture stance. "I'm a doctor. I've got an infirmary full of patients showing up at my door starting yesterday. You're probably interested in the Quarian, right? She's alive, I kept Legs from killing her, you are very welcome. Or did you want the odd man with the psychic trauma? If so, I apologize but his treatment isn't finished and the only person who can assist me with it is in the other camp. I've been somewhat busy in the meantime and I'm sure the pitched battle going on out there is going to really free up my schedule. So, no, I have no idea what Ahab wants. Here, try this. Give her all your weapons, valuables, and vehicles. I bet she'd agree to that. It's called surrendering."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

"Listen, I'm going to level with you. I have not been paying any attention to this." I adjust my jacket and settle into a lecture stance. "I'm a doctor. I've got an infirmary full of patients showing up at my door starting yesterday. You're probably interested in the Quarian, right? She's alive, I kept Legs from killing her, you are very welcome. Or did you want the odd man with the psychic trauma? If so, I apologize but his treatment isn't finished and the only person who can assist me with it is in the other camp. I've been somewhat busy in the meantime and I'm sure the pitched battle going on out there is going to really free up my schedule. So, no, I have no idea what Ahab wants. Here, try this. Give her all your weapons, valuables, and vehicles. I bet she'd agree to that. It's called surrendering."
    At the mention of the Quarian in your care the two Quarians and the Turian Commander exchange glances, it's clear enough that this was news to them. And even if it wasn't it very soon becomes clear when Stars bursts out,

"Meeri! The b'tch has Meeri! Commander, we have to-"

"Stars," the Turian officer interrupts with a commanding voice.

"The question is more how she got Meeri," the second Quarian said, voice suspicious.

"Commander! The shark is still going!" a young Turian appears in the door, his face clearly concerned. "We can try to hit it again but it's coming about, Commander. I've heard stories about Ahab's shark-"

The Commander raises a hand and the young Turian immediately cuts himself off.

"Plan B." The Commander announces and makes a head gesture to the second Quarian, "Lieutenant."

The Quarian Lieutenant nods and brings out some biotic bonds.

"Commander, no. No. We can take her." Stars begin, rearing back but quickly has her hands bound in the biotic cuffs.

"She said she wants you. I doubt that's all she wants but until we know more..." The Commander directs a brief look towards Kal'kolak.

"You brought this on yourself, Serah'Tar. You had to go and provoke her when you know how fragile Human egos are. If handing you over is what it takes to end this bloodbath then... I'm sorry but..." the Quarian Lieutenant says and pushes her towards the door.

"Find Merit, Stars, and make this f'cking mess right." The Commander says.

"I'll take her," the young Turian says with a crisp nod to the Commander.

"Commander, wait!"

"There is no more time to wait!"

Okay ...
    Ahab sees the grenade coming her way and hesitates for one deliberate second. Even before the flames and shrapnel has cleared, she's climbing up the Shark and forcing the reeling machine around, aiming right at the enemy tank. Its mouth starts to charge, its throat a gateway to the flaming pits of Hell itself.

[4-2=2 Harm to the Shark, 3-2=1 blow-through to Kin and Foray. Some minor functional, field-patchable damage to the Shark.

Go Aggro: 5+3+3 = 11]

They have exactly as long as it takes the shark to recover its bearings and charge its weapon to fall to their knees and give her what she wants, unconditionally, or suffer.
    The Shark is groaning and you're pretty sure the steering is skewed but it's still functioning. Kin and Foray are both beaten up good, they're bleeding and audibly in pain but are alive.

All gunfire, grenade launches and biotics from the other side suddenly stop. A three-fingered hand is raised above the hood of one of the vehicles parked for cover along the front line. A moment later a young Turian emerges, you may recognise him as Lorik. With his other hand he is dragging along a reluctant and bound Stars.

With your side still shooting he hesitates to fully leave cover.

A flash of deeply unreasonable justified anger aggressive subject analysis breaks out in 239's mind. Blue is using body language on her? He is attempting to communicate nonverbally using human nonverbal coding while in the presence of actual humans? Instead of just communicating via wireless frequency like a command and control unit is meant to do?

She felt like pinning him down and running him through a manual reset to factory defaults. She didn't know why she found that look so insulting. But either way, out of sheer irritation she'd already run the analysis to decode and infer the gesture.

[Read a person 7: What do you wish I'd do?]
    Blue is on board. He has no desire for you to change tactics or what you are doing here with K-9. He is however somewhat confused and not entirely sure why you're doing it. He's wondering what the Big Plan is, and if there actually is one. In short, what he wants you to do is let him in on it. Talk to him. Let him understand you and figure you out.

"Enact," she said in a perfectly level robotic monotone at Blue. All the frosty acid she wanted to soak that word in was contained to her own mind. Like a proper Nemean.
    Blue nods sharply and looks away as he sends the order across to the rest of the Nemeans.
    Last edited by Elanorin; 2018-11-20 at 06:18 AM.
    ~ Neil Gaiman

~ Snow Patrol

27. - Top - End - #207

Blue is on board. He has no desire for you to change tactics or what you are doing here with K-9. He is however somewhat confused and not entirely sure why you're doing it. He's wondering what the Big Plan is, and if there actually is one. In short, what he wants you to do is let him in on it. Talk to him. Let him understand you and figure you out.
    Well he can bite it. I have stated my Directive. He and his malfunctioning buddies are the ones that have decided to imprint on me like ducklings on a cat #REF_CATEGORY: FUNNY ANIMAL VIDEOS#. If they want an officer who will constantly restate their Directive then there are plenty of organics in the world still.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

I let them walk out. Handing over Stars is as good a solution as any. Good luck if it stops a pitched battle, but one can hope at least. "You seem like a reasonable person who does not want everyone here to get shot" I say to the Turian commander. "I really don't know what else you can do for Ahab, but how can I help?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

29. - Top - End - #209

The Shark is groaning and you're pretty sure the steering is skewed but it's still functioning. Kin and Foray are both beaten up good, they're bleeding and audibly in pain but are alive.

All gunfire, grenade launches and biotics from the other side suddenly stop. A three-fingered hand is raised above the hood of one of the vehicles parked for cover along the front line. A moment later a young Turian emerges, you may recognise him as Lorik. With his other hand he is dragging along a reluctant and bound Stars.

With your side still shooting he hesitates to fully leave cover.
    Ahab stops, but keeps the Shark aimed and loaded, one finger on the trigger. No way is she going to lower her guard. The moment she smells treachery, they're going up in flames. "Hold fire!" she yells, using the Shark's speakers to amplify her voice.
    Sebastian/S.T. Veje
    Twitter

30. - Top - End - #210

Tenshi arrives, skidding to a halt next to you on the gritty ground. He throws a glance in the direction of your gaze and the screaming Turian, a brief cloud seem to pass over him but is quickly dismissed.

"You're with me, Dave. We have to defend the Infirmary. Wheel or shotgun?" he asks as he begins to check for when it's clear to make another dash, his eyes set on two of the Sirens stood a bit further away.
    Bugger. Just when I thought things might be getting interesting. I release my influence on the Turian- no need for her if the Sirens are ready- and turn to Tenshi. His skin is crawling with flickers of blue-green excitement and a desire to succeed. Makes me want to throw up.

"Ugh. You got the gun. I'll drive. Just don't get us dead."
    Last edited by Severan; 2018-11-21 at 05:28 PM.