New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Favored Soul Sand Shaper

Hey all,

Just wondering, how would you get a straight classed Favored Soul to qualify for a one level dip into Sand Shaper?

The dip is pretty much purely for Desert Insight, to add a bunch of spells known.

The sticking point, as far as I can tell, is the req of "Arcane caster level 5th".

You can use SLAs to qualify, but I believe most SLAs (other than Invocations) are defined as neither arcane nor divine.

Would the Southern Magician feat give a divine caster an "arcane caster level"?

All ideas welcomed, so long as they are "official" 3.0 or 3.5, excluding Dragon Magazine.

[edit] I'm the DM. Looking for a RAW solution, if possible. [/edit]

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Favored Soul Sand Shaper

Have you tried just asking the DM? It is what Id do first. Otherwise Southser Magician may be your best bet.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Being a Silverbrow Human, since they get 1/day Feather Fall, CL = HD, and Feather Fall is Wizards-only?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Would the Southern Magician feat give a divine caster an "arcane caster level"?
    It would not.

I don't think there's a way to accomplish what you want without dipping. I'm afraid you'll have to talk to the DM.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2018-05-23 at 06:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

+1 for asking the DM. It's a trivial allowance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: [3.5] Favored Soul Sand Shaper

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Have you tried just asking the DM? It is what Id do first. Otherwise Southser Magician may be your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It would not.

I don't think there's a way to accomplish what you want without dipping. I'm afraid you'll have to talk to the DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    +1 for asking the DM. It's a trivial allowance.
    I'm the DM. I like to do things by RAW if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    Being a Silverbrow Human, since they get 1/day Feather Fall, CL = HD, and Feather Fall is Wizards-only?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inza View Post
    SLAs sometimes state "as a sorcerer" or "as a wizard". Would that count for arcane?
    I'll look into both of those, thanks.

Actually, I made a thread related to this a while back, I should look at that too: [3.5] Arcane Caster Level - Without Casting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Random thought: would UMDing the Codex Advocare work? It's a magic tome from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, that gives a Warlock (or DFA) an extra least invocation known.

If you were considered to have a least invocation, you'd have an arcane caster level, I believe.

It's a very costly and highly questionable solution...assuming it works at all.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I'm the DM. I like to do things by RAW if at all possible.
    In that case I do not believe it is possible.

I'll look into both of those, thanks.

Actually, I made a thread related to this a while back, I should look at that too: [3.5] Arcane Caster Level - Without Casting
    A spell-like ability that functions as a wizard spell isn't necessarily arcane. It just means it uses the wizard version of the spell. For example, what level spell is tongues? 2nd (bard), 3rd (wizard/sorcerer), or 4th (cleric)?

In order for the SLA to be arcane (or divine, or psionic) in nature, it would need to say so specifically, as in the case of warlocks. Either that or the DM would need to take a broader interpretation of what counts as an arcane or divine spell—which is not totally unsupported by the text, but there would be other ramifications if you read it that way.

Random thought: would UMDing the Codex Advocare work? It's a magic tome from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, that gives a Warlock (or DFA) an extra least invocation known.

If you were considered to have a least invocation, you'd have an arcane caster level, I believe.

It's a very costly and highly questionable solution...assuming it works at all.
    UMD is pretty clear that it lets you emulate a class feature to activate the item. But the item's activation doesn't require invocations. A non-warlock can already activate it just fine, no UMD required. It just won't do anything.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: [3.5] Favored Soul Sand Shaper

The MM and SRD version of Duergar says this about it's SLAs:

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—enlarge person and invisibility as a wizard of twice the duergar’s class level (minimum caster level 3rd); these abilities affect only the duergar and whatever it carries.
    Would the "as a wizard" clause make the SLA arcane?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

That's the "broader interpretation of what counts as an arcane or divine spell" that I mentioned.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A spell-like ability that functions as a wizard spell isn't necessarily arcane. It just means it uses the wizard version of the spell. For example, what level spell is tongues? 2nd (bard), 3rd (wizard/sorcerer), or 4th (cleric)?
    The MM/SRD addresses this:

"A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order."

Based on this text, I feel that SLAs default to "arcane" unless they appear exclusively on a cleric, druid, paladin, or ranger list, in which case this makes them "divine". My understanding is a silverbrow human (Dragon Magic) with 5 levels of Favored Soul would qualify for Sandshaper, as their feather fall SLA gives them an arcane CL of 5. Fluff-wise, silverbrow humans have draconic ancestry via the dragonblood subtype, and dragons are supposed to be innately arcane spellcasters.

I've seen people argue that SLAs are neither arcane or divine unless the text explicitly says so, but I call monkeysnot on that point.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Wasn't there that Alternative Spell Source feat or whatever I always see people tossing around?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

You can use duergar as the race. It's SLA is explicitly called out as being at the CL of a wizard of twice it's class level. Of course, this isn't ideal for a favored soul as a race.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    The MM/SRD addresses this:

"A monster’s spell-like abilities are presumed to be the sorcerer/wizard versions. If the spell in question is not a sorcerer/wizard spell, then default to cleric, druid, bard, paladin, and ranger, in that order."

Based on this text, I feel that SLAs default to "arcane" unless they appear exclusively on a cleric, druid, paladin, or ranger list, in which case this makes them "divine". My understanding is a silverbrow human (Dragon Magic) with 5 levels of Favored Soul would qualify for Sandshaper, as their feather fall SLA gives them an arcane CL of 5. Fluff-wise, silverbrow humans have draconic ancestry via the dragonblood subtype, and dragons are supposed to be innately arcane spellcasters.

I've seen people argue that SLAs are neither arcane or divine unless the text explicitly says so, but I call monkeysnot on that point.
    Yes, again, I talked about this, that's the broader interpretation that carries other ramifications.

The topic is covered in more detail in Complete Mage.