New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Fiend of Possesion and Rod of Embassy

Hey guys! Y'all have been very helpful in the past. I am playing a fiend of possession and we are stuck on whether a FoP can use a Rod of Embassy (over simplified, it makes wherever you are considered to be you home plane for situations like "banishment", etc) while possessing something/someone as you are now in the material world. I got the idea from an online "FoP handbook" from minmaxforum. Some of us say yes some say no. What are y'all's thoughts on this? Is there any source material to help on it? I have not been able to find any? Any feats or something that would help if it's a "no"?
    Last edited by kbob; 2018-05-24 at 05:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fiend of Possesion and Rod of Embassy

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    Hey guys! Y'all have been very helpful in the past. I am playing a fiend of possession and we are stuck on whether a FoP can use a Rod of Embassy (over simplified, it makes wherever you are considered to be you home plane for situations like "banishment", etc) while possessing something/someone as you are now in the material world. I got the idea from an online "FoP handbook" from minmaxforum. Some of us say yes some say no. What are y'all's thoughts on this? Is there any source material to help on it? I have not been able to find any? Any feats or something that would help if it's a "no"?
    Of course you can. Why wouldn't you be able to?

rod of embassy is pretty expensive for what it does. you'd be better off with the spellblade enhancement for dismissal and banishment.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for the reply and the enhancement idea. To your question, "Why not?" Their argument is that when you possess something you are physically there as part of the item you are possessing. However, you are not able to use items you have as they would be "melded" into you (like wild shape).
    I cited the ruling on being targeted by spells for the FoP. "When these spells [banishment, holy word, etc.] are directed at a fiend of possession, the spell effect is resolved as if the fiend were in its normal, corporeal form, using its own hit dice, saving throws, ability scores, and so on." To which those against countered that the cited ruling refers to what the char naturally has and not to items. I retorted though that it seems to suggest you include your entire AC (never says not to include armor). That suggests to me that at least constant effect items would work, though any requiring a command word or physical movement of some kind would not.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kbob View Post
    Thanks for the reply and the enhancement idea. To your question, "Why not?" Their argument is that when you possess something you are physically there as part of the item you are possessing. However, you are not able to use items you have as they would be "melded" into you (like wild shape).
    I cited the ruling on being targeted by spells for the FoP. "When these spells [banishment, holy word, etc.] are directed at a fiend of possession, the spell effect is resolved as if the fiend were in its normal, corporeal form, using its own hit dice, saving throws, ability scores, and so on." To which those against countered that the cited ruling refers to what the char naturally has and not to items. I retorted though that it seems to suggest you include your entire AC (never says not to include armor). That suggests to me that at least constant effect items would work, though any requiring a command word or physical movement of some kind would not.
    Their "argument" has no basis in actual rules.

When an effect nullifies your equipment, such as wild shape, it's specified in the rules. fop's possession effect doesn't, so you keep the effects of your equipment. if your gm continues to jerk you around, just leave your rod (or spellblade) on the ground and have whatever body you're wearing use it for you.

your reading is correct.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

there is also a feat you can take, Naturalized Denizen from UA, which removes the extraplanar subtype from you for the purpose of overcoming that weakness for banishment and the like. You have to meet the pre-req, which frankly isn't hard to do.

Benefit: You are never treated as an extraplanar creature (and you lose the extraplanar subtype). Thus, you can't be affected by a banishment or dismissal spell or similar effects that send extraplanar creatures back to their home planes.
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Holy crap! I just got this. Thanks! I didn't know that feat existed. 0.0
    You just saved my char 20K gp! Ha

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Would being an Unholy Scion (Evil, native) remove the threat of being banished or would I still need this feat or the rod to guard against it?

I am not sure what the native does for me...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
    Would being an Unholy Scion (Evil, native) remove the threat of being banished or would I still need this feat or the rod to guard against it?

I am not sure what the native does for me...
    Based on what the Monster Manual glossary says, the Native subtype only makes it so that you can be raised, resurrected, and reincarnated as normal.

So long as you are native to the Material Plane, you don't have the extraplanar subtype whilst on the Material Plane, and therefore can't be effected by Dismissal nor Banishment.

It does make you vulnerable to those spells whilst on other planes, however.