New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default RIP TotalBiscuit

Just heard the news that TotalBiscuit finally succumbed to his cancer today. I really enjoyed his content and his devotion to the consumer base of the videogame industry and we will be a poorer community without him. =(
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: RIP TotalBiscuit

I expected this for a very long time, even before his health update from April or the one from last December and yet I am still stunned.

I remember many many years ago I was imagining what it would be like 40 or 50 years later to listen to an elderly TB reminiscing about old video games and be revered as the giant of the video game industry that he was in much the same way Roger Ebert was in the film industry. Alas, that will never happen. Despite some disagreements I had, I will always admire his unwavering advocacy of consumers' rights. For a long time I thought his insistence on calling his critiques first impressions instead of reviews as petty and ultimately meaningless, but eventually I came to appreciate his meticulousness and overall work ethic. He always strove to be as objective as possible despite the work of a critic being inherently subjective. I think it is fair to say that no other critic in the video game industry was as influential and as beneficial as TB.

I guess it's time to re-watch the Terraria series.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Just heard the news that TotalBiscuit finally succumbed to his cancer today. I really enjoyed his content and his devotion to the consumer base of the videogame industry and we will be a poorer community without him. =(
    I didn't even know he had cancer. Really brings the feeling of mortality. I remembered watching some of his videos.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sad news.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

33 years old. F***ing cancer.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2018-05-25 at 01:36 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HasSIn View Post
    I expected this for a very long time, even before his health update from April or the one from last December and yet I am still stunned.

I remember many many years ago I was imagining what it would be like 40 or 50 years later to listen to an elderly TB reminiscing about old video games and be revered as the giant of the video game industry that he was in much the same way Roger Ebert was in the film industry. Alas, that will never happen. Despite some disagreements I had, I will always admire his unwavering advocacy of consumers' rights. For a long time I thought his insistence on calling his critiques first impressions instead of reviews as petty and ultimately meaningless, but eventually I came to appreciate his meticulousness and overall work ethic. He always strove to be as objective as possible despite the work of a critic being inherently subjective. I think it is fair to say that no other critic in the video game industry was as influential and as beneficial as TB.

I guess it's time to re-watch the Terraria series.
    I never heard of him and my condolences to his family and fans. What I heard that he has so many haters. What was the disagreements you have with TotalBiscuit?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I never heard of him and my condolences to his family and fans. What I heard that he has so many haters. What was the disagreements you have with TotalBiscuit?
    John "TotalBiscuit" Bain was well known for being opinionated, stubborn, often abrasive and occasionally aggressive in his expression of a point of view. Many times he involved himself in a particular scandal or conflict in his typically forthright and unashamedly direct manner in a way that antagonised at least one side, if not both - his opinions on the GamerGate business were loud and unsubtle, earning him a number of dedicated enemies across various platforms. (And by "enemies", I mean "people who have actively celebrated his death on social media with memes and 'good riddance'-style messages").

Similarly, many statements made early in his career - before he had properly come to codify his journalistic credentials and his admirably ethical business and personal practices - were dismissed as trolling, which earned him not a little notoriety that was never forgiven in many circles.

That being said.

John Bain was a consummate professional when it came to citing his sources, paying his bills, thanking his contributors and paying credit to those who deserved it and his integrity as a journalist is something that people should be aspiring to emulate for years to come. While not gentle with his words, he never backed down from criticism and instead faced it head on so as to force his critics to make valid points or otherwise prove themselves to be toothless opportunists.
    He was also a pretty damn decent human being, having raised more for charity in the last few years than I probably will in the rest of my lifetime, and he shared his influence graciously and generously with other contributors despite the personal cost to himself.

I don't try to paint him as a perfect, idealistic bearer of the torch of great truth, but he was honest and he blazed difficult trails that the vast majority of us would shy away from, both personal and professional. The world in general, and the video games industry specifically, are worse off without him.

Good luck, TB, wherever you go next.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Im not gonna speak ill of the dead, because mentioning his name on twitter right now will get me hordes of 'mourning fans' to harrass me and put my personal safety at risk.

Yeah sure, its unfortunate that he died in a pretty horrible way. But its pretty heartless to ignore the real tangible harm that this movement, of which he was a key figure of and did nothing to rein in, had on the people it targetted for harassment.

Its okay to be upset, its okay to mourn the loss of life, but can we not pretend that he didn't do some real bad things. Death doesnt absolve.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    Im not gonna speak ill of the dead, because mentioning his name on twitter right now will get me hordes of 'mourning fans' to harrass me and put my personal safety at risk.
    If people on Twitter can put your personal safety at risk, I think you've put too much you into Twitter.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Chaotic Good Human Bard(14th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength-10
    Dexterity-15
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-6
    Wisdom-9
    Charisma-23

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Yeah sure, its unfortunate that he died in a pretty horrible way. But its pretty heartless to ignore the real tangible harm that this movement, of which he was a key figure of and did nothing to rein in, had on the people it targetted for harassment.

Its okay to be upset, its okay to mourn the loss of life, but can we not pretend that he didn't do some real bad things. Death doesnt absolve.
    What are talking about?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elanasaurus View Post
    If people on Twitter can put your personal safety at risk, I think you've put too much you into Twitter.
    If youre choosing to ignore the actual harm that has been done by harassment mobs via twitter then i have no idea what to tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zendy View Post
    What are talking about?
    TB was a prominent figure in gamergate, a harassment campaign aimed at women in gaming, specifically game development and journalism. And while he never participated in the harassment himself (to my knowledge at least) he certainly pointed his following who was doing the harassment at people he disagreed with
    I make music

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Isn't he the one who wished another dude to get cancer and die? Kind of ironic that he died of cancer, just to show how the universe works. Be careful with what you put out to the universe, it may come back to bite you later.
    Last edited by Poiuytrewq; 2018-05-25 at 07:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I was never a fan of his honestly, and certainly found a lot of his critique to be...well. Not aimed at me. We just liked different things in gaming for different reasons. That said, 33 is only a year older than me and man does that scare the crap out of me. Cancer is a brutal monster and we should be working to iradicate it in its various forms.

While I also don't truck with the idea of not speaking ill of the dead (because some people should have ill spoken of them

TB was a prominent figure in gamergate, a harassment campaign aimed at women in gaming, specifically game development and journalism. And while he never participated in the harassment himself (to my knowledge at least) he certainly pointed his following who was doing the harassment at people he disagreed with
    Beyond anything else, this is just so dishonest it warranted me saying something. Painting Gamergate as this big hit piece against women and female game developers and journalists is just...startlingly one sided and fatuous. Gamergate was a lot of things with a lot of people with a lot of agendas and it's certainly true that some people were what you're claiming the whole movement was. But to say it was just that. To paint it as this monolith of anti-female sentiment by a bunch of people isn't just a gross mis-characterization, it is well poisoning to the extreme. Especially because there was a not-insignificant female population within the Gamergate movement. You'd either have to deny that on its face (people have), claim that all the women were fake and were really just men (lots of people have) or were Uncle Toms (yet more people made this claim) to even scratch the surface of your assessment to be valid. Your identity politics is showing and it doesn't look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Poiuytrewq View Post
    Isn't he the one who wished another dude to get cancer and die? Kind of ironic that he died of cancer, just to show how the universe works. Be careful with what you put out to the universe, it may come back to bite you later.
    He apologized for this. A lot, actually. Is it ironic...sure...but acting as if he did something beyond the pale and got his just desserts is just karmic masturbation at this point. If everyone who ever made a claim like that got cancer and died at a terribly young age then we'd be a much smaller population of people.
    Last edited by Razade; 2018-05-25 at 07:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

If youre choosing to ignore the actual harm that has been done by harassment mobs via twitter then i have no idea what to tell you.
    The block button exists for a reason. As does physically stepping away from the internet. If mean comments on the internet, even a lot of them all at once, can endanger your health, then you should probably not be on the internet.

I get death threats online on occasion. I usually laugh it off. Sometimes I'll block the person, other times I won't bother.

When GG started, it was an attempt to reign in some of the excesses of the game journalist clique, where they would promote the games of their friends without disclosure. IGN had been a joke for years, and Polygon and Kotaku had swung hard into that territory as well. Almost nobody who was super into gaming used game reviews from the big websites as anything except bias confirmation.

All that GG wanted was for the journalists to adhere to the SPJ Code of Ethics. This is especially important for hobbyist press, where there is an increased likelihood that the journalist has friends on the dev team or access they don't want to lose. Gamergate could've started and ended in 72 hours if they had come out and said "We will do that in the future, here is our updated ethics and disclosure policy." That is what TotalBiscuit fought for, and he followed that code in all of his review videos.

As far as TB himself, I may not have liked his content or him personally, but I respected him. That man was arguably part of what brought PC gaming out of the dark age of "Yet another bad console port" and into the golden age that we have in the PC market today. His videos made many an indie dev a success, because if TB recommended a game, it was a good game. He was a trailblazer, being the first video game reviewer on Youtube to really make it big, and he did it without the help of an established network.
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    Beyond anything else, this is just so dishonest it warranted me saying something. Painting Gamergate as this big hit piece against women and female game developers and journalists is just...startlingly one sided and fatuous. Gamergate was a lot of things with a lot of people with a lot of agendas and it's certainly true that some people were what you're claiming the whole movement was. But to say it was just that. To paint it as this monolith of anti-female sentiment by a bunch of people isn't just a gross mis-characterization, it is well poisoning to the extreme. Especially because there was a not-insignificant female population within the Gamergate movement. You'd either have to deny that on its face (people have), claim that all the women were fake and were really just men (lots of people have) or were Uncle Toms (yet more people made this claim) to even scratch the surface of your assessment to be valid. Your identity politics is showing and it doesn't look good.
    Quote Originally Posted by McDouggal View Post
    When GG started, it was an attempt to reign in some of the excesses of the game journalist clique, where they would promote the games of their friends without disclosure. IGN had been a joke for years, and Polygon and Kotaku had swung hard into that territory as well. Almost nobody who was super into gaming used game reviews from the big websites as anything except bias confirmation.

All that GG wanted was for the journalists to adhere to the SPJ Code of Ethics. This is especially important for hobbyist press, where there is an increased likelihood that the journalist has friends on the dev team or access they don't want to lose. Gamergate could've started and ended in 72 hours if they had come out and said "We will do that in the future, here is our updated ethics and disclosure policy." That is what TotalBiscuit fought for, and he followed that code in all of his review videos.
    it really only takes the most basic of googling to figure this out. the 'movement' started out to harass a particular game developer, and then grew out toward gamers of all stripes that suspiciously weren't straight white men. Sure there was non straight white men in the movement, but a nonzero amount were fake (it pretty easy to spot usually) and its not like people are not capable of buying into their own oppression. There may have even been people there that came at it from a legitimate complaint about games journalism, but that was only ever a front for a harassment campaign that ended peoples careers, threatened people's life and livelihood, and in at least one case, caused a transgender game developer to kill herself

The block button exists for a reason. As does physically stepping away from the internet. If mean comments on the internet, even a lot of them all at once, can endanger your health, then you should probably not be on the internet.

I get death threats online on occasion. I usually laugh it off. Sometimes I'll block the person, other times I won't bother.
    look, even if were putting aside the actual issue of cyber-bullying (which we shouldn't its an incredibly important issue and just saying 'get off the internet' is embarrassingly tone deaf), harassment mobs online lead very quickly to tangible danger. there are countless stories of people having to leave their homes for their own safety because their addresses get posted. bomb threats getting called in whenever a prominent feminist gamer speaks at an event. swat teams getting called on people who are statistically more likely to be killed by police.

John Bain, and men like him, have done actual tangible harm to the people around him and the video game industry as a whole is worse as a result of his actions. That cannot and doesn't get to be swept under the rug just because he died.
    I make music

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

[QUOTE=The Extinguisher;23100994]it really only takes the most basic of googling to figure this out. the 'movement' started out to harass a particular game developer[/QUOTE ]

Ok, as someone who watched gamergate start, this is a flat out lie. It is a convenient lie for the gaming news sites, which is why they promote it, but that makes it no less a lie.

Reading the rest of your post, I am genuinely curious where you learned about gg. Did you read about it on gaming news sites? Interacting with anti gg people? Interacting with pro gg people? Were you around when it started?

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Ah, the old "TotalBiscuit was a misogynist/transphobe who hated women in gaming" argument, was wondering if that would show up here. Quite apart from the fact he explicitly distanced himself from that part of GamersGate--he was only ever about the ethics in games journalism side of things--you might want to look at what Laura Kate Dale (@laurakbuzz) says about his death on Twitter, considering she's actually a trans woman who also happens to be a games journalist.
    Last edited by factotum; 2018-05-26 at 03:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

She's...very much not transphobic, that's the wrong word for that entirely.

I've seen Biscuit's tweets, he made some pretty anti trans jokes. He's said some pretty ****ty stuff regarding that subject. He's a ****ing moron when it comes to FPS and NEVER walked that back. I don't know if he walked back the other things, but from the sounds of it he didn't. But again, I don't know for sure. I only know what I've seen.

It will always suck to die that early in your life, but I'm not going to begrudge people from being happy about it. I don't think they should be but it's not my place to say that when he's hurt a lot of people.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-05-26 at 01:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    She's...very much not transphobic, that's the wrong word for that entirely.
    I know, I must have had the word on the brain. I've corrected it now. Would you care to link to these anti-trans tweets TB has made?
    Last edited by factotum; 2018-05-26 at 03:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2018-05-26 at 10:39 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Well, I'll go on record and say that I was a big fan of TB, and I'm deeply distressed by his passing.
    Not only did he made entertaining content - many a time I watched him review a game I had no interest in - but he was also the only games critic I actually put any stock in. There may be others who are trustworthy, but I've yet to find them.

When he recommended a game, I knew it was a darned good game. Even if I knew I wouldn't like it, I've never seen him recommend a bad game, and even more impressively, he often recommended games he didn't like because he could separate his own opinions from the objective quality of the game.

If I ever made a game, even if it's a top-down perspective or a city builder, I shall include a field of vision slider in his honour.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

22. - Top - End - #22

Do you understand the concept of satire?
    I'm mostly here for Warframe and a tiny bit of RWBY.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is a mourning thread going to turn into a political/personal dumpster-fire and get locked now?

Because that would kind of suck.
    My completely awesome avatar (I call her Quill) has been generously crafted by the esteemed Honest Tiefling!

GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    DEGENERATION 87: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good-looking) and your humility is stunning.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kitanas View Post
    Reading the rest of your post, I am genuinely curious where you learned about gg. Did you read about it on gaming news sites? Interacting with anti gg people? Interacting with pro gg people? Were you around when it started?
    Dude, I was there for the whole thing. I watched it unfold in real time. The whole thing started because some guy posted a massive screed about his ex-girlfriend online, accusing her of sleeping with game journalists to get good reviews on her game. The reviewers she allegedly slept with never reviewed the game in question--the reviews do not exist. And yet to this day, there are still people who insist it does.

25. - Top - End - #25

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2018-05-26 at 09:19 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by McDouggal View Post
    Do you understand the concept of satire?
    Not that the tweet was the most egregious sample of transphobia ever, but seriously, transgender people asking for their gender identity to be respected is a really stupid damn thing to satirise. Satire is supposed to draw attention to real social problems so they can be improved, not be used as a thinly-veiled excuse to make fun of marginalised people.

It's also low-hanging fruit. He might as well have made a 'har har, I identify as an attack helicopter' joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

27. - Top - End - #27

BlackDragon

I genuinely hope nobody here posts one badly-worded tweet to a friend and then gets beaten up for it for the next three years, because that's what seems to have happened there. Reminds me of the Microsoft guy who posted on Twitter to a friend of his that the XBox 360 still existed if people without reliable Internet connections wanted an XBox (this was when they were proposing the XBox One should be an always-online system), and lost his job over it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

{{scrubbed what was being replied to}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2018-05-26 at 09:20 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    That is not a thing.
    It absolutely was a thing for a while. It seemed like everybody on Tumblr had their own unique and oh so special pronouns they needed to be called, and if someone dared respond to them without checking their profile first the hate mob would descend from all sides to doxx and harass them.

If you really think that never happened you weren't paying attention to that corner of the internet circa 2013 to 2015 or so.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Transgender people are one of the most oppressed minority groups around. It's actually legal to murder them in most states (I'm not kidding, google 'trans panic law') and they have a massively high suicide rate from all the abuse heaped on them.

I assure you, nobody would ever pretend to be one. It's absurd to even suggest it.