New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Locating a Ring

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Locating a Ring

There was a ring in the WotC archives for 3.5/3e that let you activate magic items you had previously used without needing to be holding them, as long as you wore the ring. Does anyone recall this item, or know what I'm talking about?
    Just finding my roots again.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Locating a Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    There was a ring in the WotC archives for 3.5/3e that let you activate magic items you had previously used without needing to be holding them, as long as you wore the ring. Does anyone recall this item, or know what I'm talking about?
    I believe that would be the Ring of Spell Triggering.

Spoiler
    Show
    Awaken from Afar
    Evocation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Clr 6, Drd 6
    Components: V
    Casting Time: 1 action
    Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
    Target: One spell trigger activation item
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

An awaken from afar spell allows you to use a spell trigger item without actually touching the item. The item to be activated must be within the range of the awaken from afar spell, and it functions as though you yourself were triggering it from its current position. All other conditions, such as the requirement that you have the spell on your spell list or if the item's enchantment restricts its use to a particular race or individual, still apply. Both you and the item to be activated have to be on the same plane. The item cannot be in the possession of another creature at the time of activation, and it must be an item that you have previously triggered normally (in other words, without the aid of an awaken from afar spell.

New Magic Items

Ring of Spell Triggering: This ring allows the wearer to continually utilize the effects of the spell awaken from afar.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, awaken from afar; Market Price: 90,000 gp.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Locating a Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I believe that would be the Ring of Spell Triggering.
    Total lifesaver, thank you Thurbane.
    Just finding my roots again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

That’s such an insanely specific spell! I’m trying to think of when it’s worth a 6th level slot to be able to activate a wand/staff that you can already use and that can’t be in anyone else’s possession but that activates from your position. As opposed to, you know, just using Unseen Servant to juggle between the wand in question and whatever else you want to be holding.

I could see the point, kind of, if it activated from the wand’s position, but since it activates from your own space, that seems really hard to get any benefit out of.

Am I just uncreative? What’s the purpose of the spell, and why is it so high level?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    That’s such an insanely specific spell! I’m trying to think of when it’s worth a 6th level slot to be able to activate a wand/staff that you can already use and that can’t be in anyone else’s possession but that activates from your position. As opposed to, you know, just using Unseen Servant to juggle between the wand in question and whatever else you want to be holding.

I could see the point, kind of, if it activated from the wand’s position, but since it activates from your own space, that seems really hard to get any benefit out of.

Am I just uncreative? What’s the purpose of the spell, and why is it so high level?
    Only thing I can think of is emergency "I'm in an unexpected grapple" activations. That or letting a UMD user fake being a spellcaster with the insanely expensive ring.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The wording could have been clearer, but I believe the intent is to activate the item from its location, not yours.

The item to be activated must be within the range of the awaken from afar spell, and it functions as though you yourself were triggering it from its current position.
    Still seems overpriced for a 5th/6th level spell.

Best case scenario, you jam it in a crack in a wall, point it down a corridor, and activate it against opponents around the corner without exposing yourself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post

It has its uses if you're a giant dragon with a dozen different staves/wands scattered on a mountain of gold coins, which is the kind of boss encounters d&d was initially built around.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, okay, I guess you're right; it IS from its current position rather than your current position.

Still seems a little bit overpriced, but less obviously so. Still hella niche.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I get it. It's a set-piece spell. Like a lot of material, it's much more usable by a DM setting up a unique encounter than a player. It was basically purpose written for the dragon presented in the same article.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign