New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

Never letting the smile leave her face as Sonea was dismissed she waved goodbye to the young acolyte before turning her attention back to Brother Micah who had just spotted her and took her aside. "Judging by how somber you look, and how the templars seem ready to battle a hoard of demons at any second I could see why." Sister Rosalind says nodding respectfully to the two templars as they pass before listening to all Brother Micah had to tell her.

"That would explain the high security, however without stepping out of line I must say the last time I spoke with Yara she was seeking a missing child if I am not mistaken and following up leads. This is of course prior to the whole ordeal with Shroud. Perhaps her journey to save the child led her to this Malturist. And if so how has she been treating him, like a friend, someone she is trying to redeem like Theo is trying to help her and Brother Michel did for her, or more like someone she is trying to keep an eye on? I am not Yara, nor have I been her highest supporter as many will tell you, I will say this however since I meet her she has shown great personal growth and seems like she is trying to do what is right. The problem is where we see an obstacle that needs to be taken care of delicately she sees something that is simply put in the way and simply rushes headlong. She is the type of person that I believe would stop a mugger with her powers before calling the town guard to do so. It would get some mad yes, however in the end she was doing what she thought was the best way to save someone." Rosalind explains, saying what she believed Yara was about. After all from what she had seen as of late Yara only cared about doing good deeds, not if the way she went about getting the goal was fully lawful, which she herself could hardly blame as she herself only followed the law when it did not infringe the rights of others.

"If you like, and it will help, I could sit with this cultists. He would see someone unlike everyone else here and perhaps open up more. After all I carry no weapons or armor and besides Yara may look like the friendliness person they are bound to meet today. Perhaps I can learn something for all of you while I wait to answer Theo's Summons as well as ask him about the Staff of Maya and the pins being returned." she offers Brother Micah, as she in truth had nothing else to do as she waited at the moment.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Firbolg in the Playground

Once Garrote enters the building, Perseus, invisible, enters into a rage and charges, hoping to put an end to this chapter of the story in a single moment. He brings his axe to bear with both hands against Garrote three times, in a practice routine of alternating downward and upward strikes, praying to his dwarven gods for surety and success.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rage, Full Attack. Leap Attack-5/+20. AC 21

(1d20+19)[29], (1d10+30)[38]
    (1d20+14)[18], (1d10+30)[34]
    (1d20+9)[10], (1d10+30)[35]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    Micah nods thoughtfully. “Perhaps she genuinely is seeking to do what is best. Most of those still here would sympathise with that, if disapproving of her methods. But it is difficult for paladins - as several among our Templars are - to ignore the darkness in her soul. If she is truly seeking to change, as you say, then that is to be commended and supported. But… Ah, enough naval-gazing. We will see what Theo says when he has spoken with her. All else is speculation.

“It might be helpful if you met with this Malturite. You have a soothing presence, which might prevent him - and us - from doing anything rash.”

He stops a couple of Templars and asks where the Malturite can be found. Unsurprisingly, they can give the answer immediately; the presence of a representative of the Temple's sworn foe in their midst is something on which all Templars must have been briefed.

He leads you to a nondescript door on a corridor of identical doors, distinguished only by a brass number 13 on it and a pair of Templars standing guard outside it. He pauses to see if you have anything else to say before proceeding.

Spoiler: Gunn and Perseus
    Show
    With the benefit of total surprise, the dwarf warrior's first mighty strike cleaves deep into Garotte's hated flesh, opening a gaping wound at the base of his neck before catching on armour hidden beneath the assassin's tunic. Unfortunately the second and third strikes prove unsuccessful, turned aside by some invisible force and glancing off what appears to be a mithral shirt.

Garotte wastes no time to shock, fighting reflexes kicking in as he drops into a defensive stance - and, with a flourish of his cape, vanishes in a cloud of smoke.

Gunn's senses track your wounded foe to the level above, 30’ directly above Perseus but separated from him by the ceiling. While you know he has the means to block Gunn's Mindsight, so far he has not done so - perhaps having yet to guess who is behind the attack.

Your nemesis has been gravely wounded, but it is by no means a fatal injury - and now the most feared killer in New Ganthar will surely be hunting you.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

"As I have recently been reminded by someone, how do you expect someone to change if you always expect the worst from them? In my homeland we do not have paladins in your traditional sense. We have Justicars, they seek out criminals in our empire and bring them back for rehabilitation. Some it may take their entire lives to finally change, however in the end almost all souls wish to do what is right and if given the chance will do so once shown the way or given the proper reason to. Yara I believe has come to that turning point where if every good deed she tries to do is ridiculed and punished she will become the evil everyone fears her to be. However if encouraged and shown how to do things the proper way, as she seems to follow the law most of the time, she I believe will turn to the light fully." Sister Rosalind encourages Brother Micah as they walk. "Food for thought, and as you yourself said, only Yara, and Theo know what Yara was thinking as he is speaking with her. Only time will tell us, and we can make use of that time."

Once at the unremarkable door marked with the number 13 as they were told the cultist of Malture was in she looked back to Brother Micah. "This is your temple, and Yara's prisoner as a reminder. I have no authority here. I would not enjoy making High Priest Theo an enemy, especially at a time in which I may have found a way to save the soul of one of your own. So I will not promise him anything as I customarily do. Instead I would much prefer to sit by as a third party if you will, and let the two of you talk. I will act as a negotiator if you will, peacekeeper. This way both parties will feel heard, and gods willing we can get to the bottom of this together. If I ask most of the questions he no doubt will not be compelled to answer, however if you ask and he refuses I can change a few words to perhaps get him to answer your question. Does that seem fair?" she asks before they enter.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Basically Rosalind is willing to Aid Another Micah in his questioning, and use her own diplomacy if needed to get the answers he is looking for as well as try and sense the motives of this individual, but she does not believe it is her place (especially when she doesn't want Theo angry at her for once) to question Yara, and thus his captive without his permission. His own priest/templars doing it and her simply aiding them I see her getting away with, not so much taking over the questioning part. Though Theo and Rosalind in the same room playing good cop bad cop could be fun.

Sense motives on anything he says (1d20+10)[21]

5. - Top - End - #575

Perseus clicks his heels together, and the typical small wings erupt from his ankles, bearing him more swiftly than he could run up the stairs. He reaches the top of the stairs next to Gunn/Kella, who, while maintaining his focus on Garrote's location, casts Haste on the pair of them before moving into a position where he can see Garrote, attempting to stay out of sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activate Winged Boots, move up to 120' to get within 5' of Garrote. If there is a line that intersects Gunn and Garrote, Perseus is on the line which is perpendicular to that line, and also intersects Garrote. My intention is to have Gunn be able to charge and flank next round.

Gunn uses Ray of Dizziness, ranged touch, no save. (1d20+10)[12]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-02-13 at 09:23 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

6. - Top - End - #576
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I'm not particularly worried," Yara said. "I stopped a demon champion from being brought into the world directly under the palace. It's going to take quite a bit of ill will to demand my prosecution."

Spoiler: Yara's Statement
    Show

When investigating the case of the missing child, I discovered that he had likely been kidnapped by Malturite cultists, responsible for other attacks on the city.
    I learnt that the owner of the establishment he vanished from was drawn into the cult by others and given a name. This lead me to Syndar, a butcher and cultist.
    From him I learned the location and meeting time of the cult, in a secret temple beneath the palace. I alerted Lord Hargreaves to this along with my intention to go below and rescue the boy.
    I sent a dominated Syndar along with my psicrystal along to the gathering, and learned that the sacrifice was happening that night and that it would bring a champion of Maltur into the world just beneath the palace.
    On the surface, I was spotted by a guard as I approached the palace. I announced my intentions and he drew his weapon on me. Unwilling to harm him and not possessing any suitable non-damaging power, I took control and used him to take me further into the palace so I had an easier teleport location.
    The master of the cult turned out to be melded with a demon, which located my dominated cultist, but I was able to trick it into attacking all it's followers. I had to teleport into this dangerous situation to rescue the boy, but I left the armed guard in the palace.
    From there I rescued a boy with the aid of the only surviving cultist. I had planned to leave the guard in the room and release him once at a suitable distance, but was interrupted while questioning the cultist and released him immediately while announcing what I had done so that there was no question as to why he aided me, though worded in a way that was technically false to make sure that it was understood by the servant who discovered me.

Yara shrugs. "I let the authorities know of my intentions hours before I went into the cult temple. Apparently They didn't let anyone else know so I was attacked trying to enter the palace. I doubt that they'll try to imprison me while the threat continues, considering I just saved them all."

Show

What page did Theo read the tablets on? I vaguely remember their contents but that much. I think I should temporarily end it here and edit in more once I get a look at the tablets.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Micah looks troubled by that. “Interrogating a prisoner is not really part of my duties. Or my training. I am a preacher, not a Templar.

“But ministering to the lost… Yes. Perhaps that is something I can do.”

Opening the door, he leads you inside what proves to be a simple rectangular room, with a bed on each side, a writing desk and chair, and no adornment save the holy symbol of Charis above the door.

The room has one occupant: a man of middle years, with brown wiry hair on its way to grey, pock-marked skin, a broad nose and thick lips out of proportion to his eyes, like an amateur portrait. He wears robes cut from sackcloth in the style of a priest, and carries a wickedly curved knife at his belt. Someone has crudely stitched the unholy symbol of Maltur onto the left breast of the robes, a banner in red thread that on more sophisticated renderings is supposed to be a coating of blood.

The Malturite is, somewhat incongruously, sat in the chair with a partially unfurled scroll in his hands. As you enter he is idly perusing the scroll, but he sets it down hurriedly at your arrival.

Micah raises his eyebrows. “Reading our Lady's scriptures, I see? I am glad you are using your time here wisely - Brok, isn't it?”

The man shrugs at that. “That's me. And about the scroll - well, it was on the desk, and I'm not exactly spoilt for things to do.”

“Indeed. But it is good to see you value the written word. Too much of the evil in this world comes from ignorance and intolerance. It speaks well of you that you would consider learning more about the faith of others a worthwhile use of your time.”

He moves to one of the beds, glancing at Brok for permission. Bemused, the Malturite waves a hand in a way suggesting a lack of concern either way. His eyes remain wary, however.

“My name is Brother Micah. I am proud to say I serve Charis here as a priest, organising services for Her worship and seeing to the spiritual welfare of the other clerics.”
    They both turn expectantly towards you.

Show
    Pausing only to cast haste, Gunn moves carefully through the upper floor of the building, heading across the landing to the door that separates him from Garotte. Thankfully the door is slightly ajar, allowing him to peer inside while remaining out of the assassin's direct line of sight.

The room beyond is a bedroom - Garotte's own, you guess, as the artwork on the walls and the design of the furniture seem too personal to be used in a guest bedroom. There is a portrait of a boy who must be Garotte with an older man, clearly a close relative and the right apparent age to be his father. The dynamic in the painting is of respect and obedience, but little obvious affection. There are two doors other than the one through which you are now looking, one to either side, with keyholes suggesting they may be locked.

Garotte is cursing quietly under his breath, catching sight of his wounded shoulder in a mirror. Hissing the words of a spell through gritted teeth, he disappears from your vision - but his presence remains starkly apparent to your Mindsight, moving to the far side of the door where you are hiding and taking a position on the left of the doorway from your perspective - a door which you note would swing in and to your right to open, meaning Garotte may be expecting to ambush you and keep his line of attack uninterrupted.

Spoiler: Theo and Yara
    Show
    Ember interjects, clearly unhappy with Yara's words. "Even if your intentions were good - which I doubt - and if everything worked out for the best, how you go about these things matters. Attacking a Royal Guard in the course of his duties, whatever your reasons, is not the act of a law-abiding citizen. The law is the law, whether you think it will be enforced or not."

She lapses into silence, clearly making a visible effort to defer to Theo's judgment.

8. - Top - End - #578

"I attacked him in the course of his duty as he attacked me in mine. I don't fault him for is actions, just in being an annoyance. Spending time allowing him to arrest me and waiting to be questioned and released, or potentially not released, would take to long, and allow the sacrifice and summons to occur. If your law doesn't value the preservation of innocent life enough to bend, what good is it? Darla was able to use it to hide and empower her cult. I don't intend to be chaotic, but our enemy knows the law and it's flaws and can prepare around it and use it for their own eventually unlawful ends.. Mindlessly following the law merely because it is an agreed upon set of rules means being predictable to anyone prepared to go outside the law. It seems, Ember, that you hold the law as an alternative to thinking rather than valuing the spirit and ideals behind it."

9. - Top - End - #579
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo let's them have their say before weighing in. Ember... he says calmly, reading the statement once more to be sure and rolling it up before storing it into a spare scrollcase... Yara wasn't wrong. Not this time. The hidden power of the Malturites almost put a knife to the throat of our Prince. She had little to no time to act, used her power with restraint, but saw to it that the righteous goal was fulfilled.

But Yara, Ember is not wrong to be alarmed, and it is something we need to talk about. What you did was the rightest thing you could do in the moment, but in the future I want you to be in communication with me in all things. Not because of rank or position, but because I want to help you build up the trust of our coalition. Following laws isnt just about punishing bad behavior or organizing activities around collective goals, it is about mutual trust. This time I find that you are completely justified, and admire your courage to act swiftly and pragmatically, but that is after knowing everything that you were thinking about going into the situation. Even having stood next to you in battle, receiving allegations of illegal activity made me legitimately worried. Ember stood next to you in battle as well, and so too have many other Templars that I have under my command. Many of them are uneasy with our association and friendship because they dont know if they can trust you. Given your immense power and rough past, it is easy to see why, even though their judgment may not come fairly. Many more fear you because of the raw power you can channel. All these things are issues of trust.

He takes a deep, calming breath, not wanting to throw too much grief onto Yara and wanting her to stay on his side. And that underlines why it is good for you to stay in communication with me. I am leading the battle from the front, I want to be involved in your decision-making process. Not just because it is good to coordinate our efforts, nor because your power gives my Temple an edge over Maltur, but because if you communicate to me and listen to my advice, we can build the trust that is sorely missing. Imagine, no more being watched with suspicion, no more chains and jails, no more accusations. Hell, I bet I can even get Rosalind off of your back!

I know in your heart that you have changed in an important and meaningful way; will you please work with me more closely so that I can show that to everyone else? I will not ask of you anything I know that you would be unwilling to do, nor will I bark orders at you like a soldier under my command, but I need you to be open and honest with me, stop freelancing and coordinate with me until this war is won. If you can agree with that, I will gladly take your statement to the palace and defend you to Rithelm in person.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-02-13 at 09:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

10. - Top - End - #580

Gunn relays Garrote's apparent position through his mindsight to Perseus, who flies, still invisible, toward Garrote. In a coordinated movement, Gunn pulls open the door and casts Dispel Magic through it, targeting Garrote, then steps aside to allow Perseus to pass. The dwarf attacks Garrote, or at the very least swings his axe through the space he believes him to occupy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Greater Invisibility is on round 3 of 15.

1) Perseus moves toward the door.
    2) Gunn opens the door and casts Dispel Magic on Garrote.
    3) Perseus completes his movement and attacks Garrote as a standard action.

Dispel Magic: (1d20+10)[13]
    Attack (Haste, Raging, Power Attack -3/+6): (1d20+20)[24], (1d10+16)[20], Miss Chance (if necessary) (1d2)[1] (1 hits)

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

"See I knew you could find a way Brother Micah. We are cut from similar cloth after all, seeing someone as a prisoner is harder for those of us who see the person before the monster they are said to be." Sister Rosalind says with a proud smile on her face as he came to see a way in which he could speak with the person where he would be comfortable.

Stepping inside the room with Brother Micah she notes how simple the room looks compared to the rest of the temple, a place to rest one's head and pray. Simple and no space wasted leaving room for other more important things. She notes the man and more importantly the weapon at his side as well as his clothing however remains silent, watching the first interaction.

As introductions are underway and both turn to look at her she sits in front of the door in her simple clothing which is little more than those worn by Brok, though clearly not bearing the symbol of Malture, but of a lake with the sun above it with a clear sky, and a calm moonlit night with stars filling the sky. "And I am Sister Rosalind, Priestess of the Lovers here in New Ganther. Would you feel more comfortable being in cleaner clothing?" she asks, looking at the sack he was wearing in the style of priest robes. "I am here to make sure everyone hears the other party out and no one does anything to rash." she says looking directly at the knife at his belt. "Brother Micah wished to speak with you, and learn your story and has brought no weapons in here, and as you may know I aplore violence. So why don't you give me the knife? I am sure the templars will feel a lot better knowing you do not have a weapon on you and you will feel a lot safer knowing that their honor would not allow them to strike down someone unarmed." she points out, trying to show that it was in his best interests to not only hand over his weapon, but speak with Brother Micah.

Spoiler: Diplomacy (if needed)
    Show

(1d20+33)[39]

Also trying to see if he is willing to get out of the robes of Malture, showing in a small way through actions he is willing to change perhaps.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Gunn's attempt to rob Garotte of his invisibility fails, his power grappling against the edges of the spell but unable to tear it down.

Perseus feels his blade strike the target, snapping the chain of hid armour and sinking deep into flesh before grinding against bone. It must surely be a serious injury - but Gunn knows it is not fatal.

Garotte, visible to Mindsight only, moves through the doorway in an attempt to locate the caster.

Show
    Thanks to a successful Tumble check, he does so without provoking attacks of opportunity. I'm not sure if Perseus would get an AoO anyway since he wouldn't be aware of the movement?

He stops adjacent to Gunn, and a moment later the lawyer feels razor-sharp blades lancing into each of his sides.

Garotte has found him.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    First short sword: 23 to hit. Remember Gunn is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC because Garotte is invisible. If it hits, he takes 46 piercing damage.

Second short sword: 27 to hit for 43 piercing damage.

As you are wracked with pain from the cold bite of Garotte's steel, you feel his breath against your cheek and hear a harsh whisper.

“Fool. In what world would you ever have stood a chance against me? But I thank you. Now I can take your empire from you. All I need is your face.”

Show
    Brok looks down at his clothing, grimacing.

“You know, it's funny. With my friends, wearing the symbols of faith, it all seemed deep and meaningful. Now they're dead, and I'm left to wonder what kind of god allows His servants to turn on each other in that way.

“I wouldn't mind getting out of these robes. They itch, and they're a reminder of something I'd sooner forget. But the blade is another matter.

“I swore an oath, you know. The kind of fool thing you do when joining a cult, I guess. I swore, among other things, that I would never willingly go unarmed. Do the Gods hold you to such oaths, I wonder? What happens to me if I break my oath?”

Micah looks troubled at that. “An oath is a serious thing, and for all His unruly nature, Maltur is quite capable of dealing harshly with those who fail or disobey Him. He might do nothing - or He might take some action to chastise you.

“Many believe the gods cannot see what occurs in one another's temples. I share that belief. That would mean you are safe as long as we return the blade to you before you leave.”

Brok pales suddenly. “Those who disobey Him - you mean like I did when I sided with Yara?” He swears bitterly. “So I'm stuck following Him on pain of divine retribution, is that the long and short of it?”

13. - Top - End - #583

If seeing his de facto brother collapse as wounds appear on his torso did not embolden Perseus, hearing Garrote gloat inspires him even further, driving home the seriousness of his next steps. In an instant the lives of ancestors flash across his mind's eye, from his uncle Athos Ironshield, who in the last war against the giant decapitated their king with a single blow from his axe, to his grandfather Theseus Ironshield, who single-handedly defeated a powerful red dragon while blood gushed from his wounds before collapsing as the battle subsided, all the way back to progenitor of his clan, the first Ironshield who stood as a bulwark against wave after wave of foes, earning the moniker for him and his descendants as he held a strategic bridge against an army, with only his shield and axe to protect him. The fate of the world may well rest on this moment, as if Perseus fails to stop Garrote here, now, and Gunn's life and identity are truly stolen, Perseus can not imagine how any of the prophetic actions foretold could come to pass. Charging forth, he does all within his power to slay Garrote, hoping beyond hope that his ancestors and any gods who may be watching will find his cause just enough to guide his beloved Brunhilda to victory.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dice gods be good! Rage, Reckless Charge, Haste. AC 22 until next round.

(1d20+27)[32], (1d10+13)[20], (1d2)[2]
    (1d20+27)[32], (1d10+13)[17], (1d2)[1]
    (1d20+22)[27], (1d10+13)[21], (1d2)[1]
    (1d20+17)[22], (1d10+13)[16], (1d2)[2]

Gunn stabilizes on a 1: (1d10)[3]

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind listens to the man's story and how he is willing to get into clean clothes that don't have the symbol of Malture on them, it meant there was hope still to save his soul. And the fact he took and oath seriously was also comforting, it meant if he set his mind to something he would follow through with it so long as it seemed the right path, or best thing to do. However when Brother Micah points out that the gods can be spiteful to those who break their vows she quickly interjects hoping to calm Brok before he got too worked up.

"Not exactly Brok, it comes down to a few circumstances really. Choices one makes in life if you will. From what you have told me you did not realize fully who and what Malture is the god of. He is the god of boundless war, a dog who is as happy attacking his own tail as he is another person. So in going against the demon and helping Yara in Theory, as I am no expert in Malture's beliefs, you would have been simply fighting to protect yourself, thus not a crime I would believe." she explains to Brok, making it clear through her voice that it is pure speculation on what she knew of the cult.

"Tell me Brok, why did you join the cult in the first place? Did you know what you were getting into when you swore these oaths?" she asks patiently, like a mother would a child trying to learn what happened in a fight even though the man was clearly much older than she.

"As for Malture's ability to take vengeance upon you it comes down in no small part to you. From your words and actions I take you for a lawful sort, and Charis is an enemy of Malture though they both believe in war. I suspect if you were to try to repent by serving among Charis's faithful, or another god of equal or greater power and did not stray from the path you choose to walk your new Parton would protect you as best they could. Just as a paladin can fall from grace, so can a servant of evil become an u corruptible force of good. So you must ask yourself from what you have seen and learned do you think Malture is truly the one who has your best interests at heart?

15. - Top - End - #585
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Perseus
    Show
    It feels as though the stakes have never been higher. With Gunn bleeding out on the floor, your only way to track Garotte has been lost. In a straight fight, you would back your skills against any opponent; but in a cat-and-mouse contest, with both you and Garotte relying on stealth and deception, you know the professional assassin would have the edge.

And the cost if you fail - if Gunn dies, Garotte takes his place, and who knows how long passes before anyone knows your battle-brother needs to be raised - could be astronomical, not just for the man you are sworn to defend, but for the world.

The truth is, everything comes down to this moment, this chance to strike your foe while he lingers with his blades in Gunn's body, taking the time to gloat when he should be moving to avoid retribution. Everything depends on the strength of your arm and the skill with which you wield your axe.

For a warrior of the Ironshield Clan, that is almost a relief.

All this crosses your mind in a frozen moment, before you surge across the distance between you and your foe with blade in hand and the strength of your ancestors burning in your soul. Your first swing meets with no resistance, and you have a dizzying instant of dread that you have misjudged his location.

You reverse the direction of the swing, curving it around to where you hope Garotte is standing.

Contact. You feel the shock jarring up your arm, warrior's instincts recognising the moment your axe strikes the armour, feeling it hold but knowing the impact was true enough to drive mithral links into your opponent's flesh with bruising force.

Your blood sings, the joy of battle mounting to a thrill of triumph. Here is your enemy: here, where you can end the threat he represents with one solid blow. No more sneaking around trying to hunt him down through whispers and threats; no more waiting helplessly and wondering who will be the next to die at his hand.

Wrenching the axe up, you put all of your skill into another swing of the axe, fear of what could go wrong fading to a distant murmur as you focus all your training and might into a pair of strikes. With the first you hear flesh parting before the edge of your blade, feel hot blood spraying over your skin; but the second parts only air before the axe lands with a thunk in the floorboards.

Silence, but for the pounding of blood in your veins, the thunder of air in your lungs - and Gunn's desperate struggles as blood bubbles out of his wounded sides. You have seconds at best to staunch the bleeding and save his life - but, unable to see your enemy, you cannot know if he survived the wound you dealt him. It felt like arterial spray, felt like a mortal blow; but you dare not let your guard down, even for an instant, until you know for certain Garotte is dead.

Then you see it: a rapidly expanding pool of blood between you and Gunn, distinct from that around your master. Blood enough to fill a grown man, pumping out slower and slower with each instant.

And you are certain.

Victory is yours - but at what cost?

Show
    Brok seems to calm at your suggestion the Lord of Boundless War would have little concern about his followers fighting among themselves.

Asked why he joined, Brok gives a self-deprecating bark of laughter. “Why indeed? Because I'm a fool, I guess.

“My mate brought a bunch of us to meet the Master. That's what he called himself by the way. Never knew if he had a regular name, I guess he must have. Anyway, the Master showed us all sorts of powers, promised we'd be able to learn the same if we joined him, and taught us about Maltur - how he would make us strong, make it so we didn't have to answer to anyone, let us take what we want without fear of getting punished. The strong thrive, and the weak perish - and we would be strong.

“Well, it sounded good, and we'd had a bit to drink, and before I knew it I was putting on the robes and getting the knife, speaking the words he told us to speak. Woke up the next morning and wondered what in the Hells I'd done, but I didn't want my friends to think I'd gone soft or bailed on them. Didn't know how they'd react, for that matter. So I kept going - even when it got darker than I felt happy with.”

Brok screws his eyes shut, looking no less queasy than he did a moment ago.

“To be honest, I'm sick of the gods and just want to go home and forget the whole thing. But from what you're telling me, I don't think that's a choice I can make.

“Damn.”

16. - Top - End - #586

Relief fills Perseus and quickly fades as he sees Gunn still struggling to breathe, still bleeding out on the floor, his blood mixing with that of his hated enemy. He drops to his knees next to Gunn, using his training as a Deep Wadren in an attempt to stabilize Gunn.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to need to roll higher than a 10 for this one! (1d20+5)[10]

17. - Top - End - #587
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind sits next to the door listening to Brok's tale of how he joined the cult of Malture and thus came to where he was now. It was the act of a man who simply was done being stepped on all the time and wanted some respect, not that of someone who was evil and enjoyed hurting others. So it saddened her greatly to hear how he felt stuck due to his choices. Waiting a moment to see if Brother Micah would step up to the plate she holds her breath hoping the preacher would take over as she had originally wished with leading the questions and answers, however when no advice seemed forthcoming she stepped in once more.

"It sounds to me Brok that you are a good man who simply got drunk one night with his friends, and one of them decided to take advantage of you and his bodies to gain favor. You saw power and were promised things that you could only dream of, and when you woke the next day you even knew you did something wrong. However no doubt like many of your other friends, the way this man who made you call him Master, showed you this power he held, and fear of what each other would think if one left you all stayed out of fear of disappointing one another as well as what this Master would do if he found you." she says finishing what she had heard and looking first to Brother Micah to see if he agreed with what she had heard, before turning to see if Brok confirmed it or not.

Spoiler: Sense Motives
    Show

(1d20+10)[17] on the off chance he tries to lie to her about the above

"There is always a choice, just some are safer then others. For example the dwarves of Kharheim worship their ancestors if what little I learned about them is correct and very few actually follow the beliefs of the gods. They thus lack divine magic, however make up for it with a kind of magic known as Rune magic which I have never heard of until I traveled their on the crowns behalf." Rosalind explains gently to the man so he didn't break. "You could go back to your normal life and hope that nothing happens, however I believe we both know you would constantly be looking over your shoulders waiting for this "Master" to come and finish you for disobeying him and Malture. You could also go back to worshiping Malture saying you broke free, though what is to stop them from killing you or rewarding you only they would know. You could convert to the worship of Charis or Realth, both gods of law, however one being righteous law, while the other Brother Micah could explain better than I ever could. There is also my own faith, that of the Lovers. In my homeland we often took in and helped former criminals seek redemption, all eventually found peace, and some even faith. And of course their is the matter of the laws that you broke that you must answer for. Even though you were promised to never have to answer to anyone again it was a lie, in any kingdom with laws every action has an equal or greater reaction. The choice is however yours Brok, know this however, if you try to fight your way out of here they will kill you. If you try and fight Brother Micah I will be forced to stop you, and that knife you carry will shatter into a thousand pieces. Violence begets violence, while kindness is rewarded with kindness in turn, wouldn't you agree Brother Micah?" Sister Rosalind asks as she knocks gently on the door and waits for a templar to open it.

"Could you please ask someone to bring Brok here some clean clothing, I believe he is an innocent caught in a very sticky web who simply needs a friend."

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Perseus
    Show
    Working quickly by touch alone, you strip Garotte's still-invisible body of possessions in the desperate hope you will find something to heal your friend's wounds. Given that Garotte did nothing to heal his own wounds, it seems unlikely - but perhaps he simply did not have a chance to heal.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    +1 blurstrike short sword of deadly precision, +1 warning short sword, +5 mithral shirt, cape of the mountebank, gloves of dexterity +2, ring of protection +1, winged vest, armour crystal of mind cloaking (lesser), potion of cure serious wounds, 4,000gp

19. - Top - End - #589

Perseus wastes no time in unstopping the potion, opening Gunn's mouth and pouring the liquid down his throat. Gunn coughs, sputtering, but his eyes flicker open and he returns to consciousness. "Did you do it?" he asks, in his weakened state betraying a hint of nervousness. He is still in his disguise as Kella, and although the wounds have healed, the bloodstains on his clothing give away his/her involvement in the battle. Upon returning to consciousness his mindsight immediately reactivates, sensing the locations of the household staff.

"It is done," Perseus says reassuringly.

"Show me the body," Gunn says. Perseus pats the invisible corpse of Garrote, and Gunn feels it to be certain. "Finally," Gunn sighs in relief. Finally, I can put this chapter of my life behind me. Visions of a future concerned only with the welfare of the Poor Quarter, the welfare of the island of New Ganthar, the welfare of humanity itself even, flash across his mind, and for the first time, he can actually feel their proximity, as though they were pages of a book he had glanced ahead at, but had not yet reached.

"What now?" Perseus asks, eying the stairwell.

Switching to telepathy, Gunn says, Carry the body. We know Garrote was working with others, we need to be sure he doesn't come back. He stands, and walks into what was Garrote's bedroom, searching for clues, and checking both doors to see if they are locked. (Detect Magic) Perseus stands close behind him, carrying Garrote's corpse.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    As you attend to the practicalities, Micah takes up the thread of conversation.

“Sister Rosalind's faith and mine differ in some respects,”
    he says mildly. “Ours is defined as much by its opposition to demonic forces as by its philosophical and moral teachings. I would not say that violence is always necessarily wrong, or kindness necessarily always virtuous. But in this context, I have to agree that you will not win free of the mess in which you find yourself by fighting.

“Sister Rosalind asks that I explain the difference between Relath and Charis. Both are Lawful gods, believing in the value of order, duty, and honour. They teach the value of the Divine Law, and of adherence to mortal systems of law as approximations of that true Law.

“The difference historically was primarily one of focus. Relath was - and remains - focused on the punishment of the guilty and the destruction of evil. Charis was focused on the defence of the innocent, the establishment of just society, creating the conditions in which Law and Righteousness can thrive.

“That changed with the Fall, of course. Now Charis is the Sentinel protecting all reality from demonkind, and has cast aside all concern with good and evil. She still believes in duty, honour, and the Divine Law. But She interprets that Law without compassion or self-interest.

“And there is the main point of difference between Relath and Charis, from a philosophical perspective. Relath teaches that the Divine Law is inextricably bound up with morality - that, for instance, a teaching that prohibits murder can only be understood within a value system that holds life sacred. For Charis, the Divine Law is a matter of bringing about an ordered society in which civilisation can flourish, regardless of moral concerns. So murder is detrimental to the functioning of the orderly society, and therefore…”

He stops, realising Brok's eyes have glazed over. Chuckling softly, he holds up an apologetic hand.

“I am sorry. The theologian in me sometimes takes over. In a nutshell, then: the gods’ influence is everywhere. You can no more live a life divorced from Them than you could live one free of your own soul. Even if you did manage to ignore them for the rest of your days, the consequences when you die unprotected by faith are dire indeed. So then, the only choice is which god to follow.

“If you choose Charis, there will be a cost. You have aided and abetted a crime - perhaps more than one. The Sentinel will expect you to submit to the authorities and face justice for those crimes.”

A knock on the door, and an acolyte passes through a set of simple clothing. Micah hands it to Brok, who holds it for now without changing, thoughtful.

He looks at Rosalind. “There are other gods, though, right? Any chance there's a god who would just let me carry on as before and still get me off the hook from Maltur? If they could help me out of going to jail, that'd be great too.”

Show
    Both doors prove to be locked, although there appears to be no magic on them.

Keeping your senses alert to events downstairs, you realise that most of the staff have fled the building, including the younger of the two doormen. Those who remain seem uncertain how to act; they are gathered at the bottom of the stairs.

If they overcome their anxiety and pursue you, you may be forced to fight your way out. There is also the possibility some of the missing staff have gone for help. Either way this business is best dealt with expeditiously.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

As Brok turns to her and asks his questions Sister Rosalind thinks for a moment before shaking her head slowly. "To my knowledge their are only two religions that would consider this, my own and that of Maya. The problem Brok lies in the fact we do not know what crimes you have committed and what crimes you are/were a part of in the past. Maya believes in free will, however I believe even her clergy would agree that without knowing the crimes you have committed offering you any kind of deal would be foolish. I am the high priestess of my faith here in New Ganther Brok so when I tell you the Lovers are forgiving I want you to understand fully what that means." she says making sure she has his full attention.

"It means cherishing life no matter the situation and protecting it as much as you can within your own limits. Each person is a vessel, a gift if you will created by Kirest to show his love to Torae. To become the perfect gift we often expect to live long lives, though that is not always the case. So for me personally to take your side in any court case there are a few things you would have to do, the first and possibly hardest would be freely admitting every crime you have committed in the service of Malture, no matter how small it may seem. Do this and we will see if we can work out a deal with the courts. Refuse and I am sorry to say, you are on your own."

22. - Top - End - #592

With an escape plan formulating in the back of his mind, Gunn gestures to Perseus to handle the doors. Perseus nods, and charges each in turn, smashing into it with Brunhilda.

Spoiler
    Show

Strength checks: (1d20+8)[22], (1d20+8)[21] -- will try again if necessary: (1d20+8)[23], (1d20+8)[18] -- before switching to a different tactic.

23. - Top - End - #593

"You were immediately worried? Why, with the turmoil within your temple leading to Nial splitting his own faction off, how many of your own would immediately believe similar reports on you?"

Yara sighed. But... you're right. We can't be hostile or suspicious of each other. You've been working to help me for some time, I should trust you with more. There is way too much going on in this city not to cooperate. Talking about my plans is simple enough, but then again you'll also need to be available for it. Everyone seemed to be busy and elsewhere that day. How do you propose we keep in regular communication?"

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground

We can hammer such details out shortly. I've sent messages to Sister Rosalind and Thomas Gunn to stop by, and one of them never seems far at any time. It would do that we all talk about this together. Theo says. And then I'll take your report to Chancellor Rithelm himself and let him know that they have cracks and holes to fill in their security. Lines of communication can be established. At the very least, I have offered you my temple as sleeping quarters before, and I intend to make this a base of operations for my team. If you can come by at lunch to discuss intentions and share information, I'm perfectly happy to help with advice and direction where I can.

He then turns to Ember. I am satisfied with what I have heard. Please let those who were alarmed with the circumstances of her arrival that Yara is to credit for her valiance, not dissimilar to when she jumped at the chance to fight the vrocks in the streets, and Calartes in his den. She acted successfully to avert certain disaster, and though she has a checkered past, has earned the benefit of the doubt. She was in a situation where any decision was horrible and had to make the best decision available to her. See to it that the prisoner she arrived with is kept under guard until we speak with Rithelm, the man participated in a crime against the prince and must face justice.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

25. - Top - End - #595
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The two doors are of decent quality, but compared to Perseus's raw strength they might as well be a deck of cards. The warrior of Kharheim breaks them down in moments, allowing his wounded companion to inspect the rooms beyond.

One room appears to be devoted to housing a collection of disguises, the tools of various professions, and what proves to be a trove of identification papers for a score of different individuals - stolen or forged, perhaps, although it would take more than a cursory glance to tell with certainty. It is reminiscent of an actor's dressing room, but the papers suggest its criminal purpose.

The most valuable part of the collection from a purely financial perspective is a collection of weapons in a variety of styles, and a glass cabinet containing a collection of men's jewellery doubtless intended to compliment certain disguises.

Spoiler: Loot
    Show
    Crossbow bolts (10 silver, 10 cold iron, 10 adamantine, 50 +1)
    Two +1 hand crossbows
    +1 rapier (worth an extra 500gp due to its ornate and fashionable design)
    +1 changeling spear
    +1 hideaway short sword
    The jewellery has a combined value of 800gp plus an uplift of 2d10 x 10gp if Gunn takes the time to find the right buyer on the black market (1 day).

The other room is an office, with a large map of the city against one wall, and a grandiose rosewood desk facing a massive floor-to-ceiling window with an impressive view over the city. A fire is smouldering behind a grate at the far side, a generous collection of ash suggesting it is used to dispose of papers. A filing cabinet is situated against the rear wall, along with a steel safe. There are several drawers in the desk itself which might hide papers, although they prove to be locked.

Checking on events below, you realise a pair of new minds have entered the range of your Mindsight, accompanied by the young doorman from earlier. Each has significantly greater than average intelligence, and the kind of ordered, meticulous minds you associate with scholars or wizards.

Spoiler: Theo and Yara
    Show
    Ember salutes, and leaves without a further word. Whether she is convinced by Theo's interpretation of events or not remains to be seen, but he knows she will follow his instructions to the best of her ability.

You are therefore left alone while you consider your next steps.

Show
    Brok looks like he has swallowed something bitter, as he looks from one of you to the next. Finally he shakes his head.

“No. No, I don't think I'll be doing that. I'll wait to speak to Yara and see what she'll offer me.”

Micah looks on the verge of saying something more when there is a knock on the door. Opening it, he finds Ember standing there. At her urging he steps outside, beckoning for you to join them.

Spoiler: Assuming you do
    Show
    Closing the door firmly behind him, Micah looks quizzically at Ember.

“Father Theo has finished questioning Yara,”
    the Knight-Lieutenant explains. “Seemingly she had good reasons for what she did and actually saved the city from yet another demonic crisis. Maybe you could help me reassure the Templars that Yara isn't the villain here? I have to admit, I'll struggle to do that. Just being near her sets my teeth on edge.

“Maybe she is serious about trying to redeem herself - but she's not there yet, and the darkness in her soul is still very strong.”

She looks back at the room where Brok is being held. “As for our prisoner, Theo wants him to stand trial. He means to report everything to the Chancellor and let the Crown decide how to deal with him, I believe. He's been playing along so far, but if he realises what we're doing he might put up a fight. I'd rather you didn't visit him alone, Micah.”

“I wasn't alone,”
    Micah notes with a smile. “I had Sister Rosalind with me.”

Ember smiles at that, throwing a glance your way. “Well, she packs a mean right hook, I can tell you that. So maybe you were safe enough. Just be careful, okay? You're not a Templar.” Turning her full attention to you, she adds, “From what they were saying, Theo and Yara both wanted to meet up with you and Gunn, talk over your next steps. If you have time, I expect they're still in Theo's office? You remember the way?”

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

"A pitty, I thought perhaps you may have been an unfortunate soul court up in a web you did not understand looking for a way out. It seems I was mistaken Brok, if you honestly think Yara will be able to help you hide from a god's wrath or escape justice for whatever crimes it is that are so bad you refuse to answer you are mistaken." the priestess of the Lovers says, shaking her head like a disappointed mother. Holding out her hand to Brok she says "At least try not to do anything else to reckless, your life still was meant as a gift and it would be a rather poor one in the state you are in now." she says before leaving whether he shakes her hand or not.

Spoiler: IF he shakes her hand
    Show
    Spoiler: IC only if he touches her hand
    Show
    As the cold touch of the crystalline substance that seemed to flow through her very veins began to give Brok chills that he could not get rid of Sister Rosalind spoke clearly "My touch only harms those who are pure evil Brok, who do not wish to repent for their ways. Be happy it was I and not my pupil who came this day for he would have taken your life for the innocents you have harmed and refuse to admit. As such you will carry that guilt with you until the day the justice system sees fit to deal with you as they so choose. May the gods have mercy on your soul Brok, for I know Malture will not." and with that she leaves with Brother Micah.

I am going to assume he is ne or ce as he is unwilling to admit his crimes so they must be really bad. And any evil creature she touches suffers the ravages of golden ice.

"This crystalline substance is cold to the touch, though it doesn't melt except in infernally high temperatures. Evil creatures subjected to it feel its cold spreading throughout their body."

Initial Damage (1d6+2)[3] + Brok's charisma modifier in dex damage
    Secondary damage (2d6+2)[12] + Brok's charisma modifier in dex damage

The extra 2 points comes from him being a cleric of an evil deity

Once outside with Ember Sister Rosalind smiles, she had hoped she could save this soul however it had become apparent in the short time she was in there with him he did not wish to be helped and saw nothing wrong with what he had done. A week ago she would not have been so harsh, however after seeing what Pran had done, and his reasons she could not deny something had to change, even if it was the smallest amount. Perhaps he would change in order to get rid of the chill of the holy substance, or perhaps not she could not honestly tell. But that was his choice. "I would not let your guard down with Brok, he has a weapon he refuses to be parted with and while he seems to want to give up worshiping Malture, its only because it is a sinking ship. He shows no remorse for the crimes he has committed, and refuses to say what crimes he has committed in the service of Malture. I am sure Brother Micah can fill you in on all that transpired within their however?" she says the last part, looking to see if he would be willing to so she could go speak with Theo.

"Be happy your soul is not devoted to evil ember, my right hook would pack a much bigger punch." she says kindly but serious, making it clear to ember that the woman had not yet seen all of Rosalind's tricks just yet. " I do, and excellent. I planned on speaking with him about another, delicate matter that could help improve morale. While I am their perhaps I can convince Yara to join, may buy her a few points with the templars. Though I will let Theo explain it all to the temple once I inform him of what I have learned." she says before bidding ado and heading to Theo's office where she knocks on the door, waiting for him to say she was allowed to enter.

27. - Top - End - #597

Knowing he doesn't have much time left, Gunn instructs Perseus to close the door into Garrote's bedroom, and casts Knock on both the safe and the locked drawers of the desk. Whatever is in those locked containers he will quickly stash in his handy satchel, taking the time for a thorough perusal later. Once that is done, he will grab Perseus by the shoulder and use dimension door to reach the rooftop, where together Perseus can fly them away on his Winged Boots.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

It seemed as if Ember had only just left; Theo had listed a few options that would help inspire trust that Yara had truly begun a better path in life. Magic items of sending or animal messenger existed, as he had seen used in the field so that even those important enough to need such a thing though not gifted with spells could communicate in an orderly fashion. The Knights of the Soaring Eagle patrolled the streets and were friendly to Theo, and she could hand of information to them. Gunn was an ally and had extensive routes of communication. Surely, Yara could act freely and legitimately in the eyes of the crown and the public.

But alas, time flew and he had to move on. He opened the door; Rosalind, I am never shocked to find you near. Come in and find yourself a comfortable seat, I expect there is much and more to talk about.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Ransacking the office is the work of a minute when all you mean to do is throw the contents of the drawers into your briefcase. Aside from stationery, the drawers largely prove to contain paperwork: ledgers, files, and notebooks. Of correspondence there is remarkably little, except four envelopes with this morning's postmark in that top, locked drawer. One, you notice, has the logo of Drakeman and Partners on it.

By this time the newcomers have finished talking with the staff downstairs and are on their way up. With no time to waste, you put the whole safe into your haversack and grab Perseus by the shoulder just as the mental presences enter the bedroom. With a wrenching sensation just below your navel, you vanish and reappear on the roof outside.

Then Perseus flies off across the city, abandoning discretion for haste.

Spoiler: Experience
    Show
    9,000xp

Show
    A somewhat bemused Brok shakes your hand - and you are startled to see nothing happens. Whatever his crimes, whatever his reasons for fearing to confess them, his soul has not yet been so darkened by evil as to react to your touch.

You therefore take your leave of him, speak with Ember, and make your way to the office where Theo and Yara await you.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

Once the door is closed behind her so Brok cannot hear Sister Rosalind looks to Ember a bit troubled. "A word of caution Ember for you and your templars, either he is a man on the edge, balancing between good and evil and thus my touch had no effect on him, or he is able to hide his true nature. If it is the later he is more dangerous than he appears, if the former I doubt he will stay neutral for long." she says in warning to Ember, trusting the woman to do what was best in order to protect all those within the temple and make sure justice was served.

As Theo greats Rosalind and asks her to take a seat, she does so, sitting besides Yara and bowing her head slightly in respect to both. "I got your message, however as of late I have been...busy with other matters, I had hopped to keep you and your temple focused on your own goals however it seems that I have come across something you may deem worth your attention." she explains to Theo before turning to Yara, "And I believe this matter could help you with your matter with Yara and the templars trusting her. If of course you wish to help." Rosalind says, looking at Yara as she does so to make it clear that it is Yara's choice if she were to help or not.

"So you asked me here, no doubt it was obviously for something important, so as this is your house I believe it is time for me to be quite and allow you to say what you called me here for before I tell you what I came here for?" Sister Rosalind says, a question in her tone, as if she is unsure on how they should proceed as Theo rarely sent for her, and when he did the matter was normally urgent. Then again in a way so was her own matter.