New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

Spoiler: Gunn with Rothen
    Show
    "I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about," Gunn says. "But if I did," he pauses, "I'd say that anyone in that position would be someone motivated by greed, not some concept of goodness. And if that person were to risk their enterprise in service to the Crown, they'd want some reasonable assurances of compensation. Compensation beyond pure gold." He looks at some point in the distance, over Rothen's shoulder. "You know, I grew up in the Poor Quarter. I guess you could say I'm a success story--a riser, from an orphan on the streets to an audience such as this. But to some, I'll always be just another Poor Quarter scrub. I'll never have lands or titles to call my own. And despite all my efforts, it seems that the Poor Quarter is destined to remain in squalor. If only I could leave my mark on this city, make this a better place for the next generation of poor bastards like me, in one way or the other." He sighs wistfully, and his gaze returns to Rothen, making meaningful eye contact for a moment. Then, his face resumes its usual inscrutability. "I wish you the best of luck in your search. For all our sakes."

Spoiler: Before Perseus leaves
    Show
    Have Larry start evacuating the docks, Gunn telepathically communicates. Secure the area in case Feronax's army breaks through the naval blockade. If Rosalind is willing, bring this writ to the Watch and have Captain Karthson relocated.

Spoiler: with Rithelm and Clauth
    Show
    "Thank you, Chancellors."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

(Hesa)
    Hesa once more held off the unicorn, his movements hampered by golden chains. With risk to himself, he attempts to destroy these restraints.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sweeping Blows allows him to target both chain and unicorn as they're adjacent.

Full Attack:
    1 (1d20+19)[36] for (3d6+12)[19] and (2d6)[6]
    2 (1d20+14)[23] for (3d6+12)[23] and (2d6)[7]
    3 (1d20+9)[13] for (3d6+12)[20] and (2d6)[5]
    Taking entangled into account for hitting the chain, but not the -4 on the unicorn.
    In case of Crits on unicorn(Taking -4 into account): (First threatens but I don't think succeeds)
    1 (34+) (1d20+15)[22]
    2 (29+) (1d20+10)[23]
    3 (24+) (1d20+5)[8]

Edit: Chains take 55 Dam, Hesa 27(-3)

(Yara)
    "Well, this is surprising," Yara says, looking over her new uniform. "But I suppose something had to be done about me. So, what responsibilities will be expected of me for accepting this position? Presuming, you know, that New Ganthar survives the upcoming battle."
    So, the city was recognising her for her actions. While she felt proud of her accomplishments, they were lessened by the very real possibility of the city burning down in the next few hours.
    Last edited by Timble; 2019-04-20 at 01:32 AM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Rothen gives a barely perceptible nod. “I have seen the reports of your efforts to bring about real change in the Poor Quarter. Let us hope that, when next you speak with Lady Zinetra, she will have better news for you. Although doubtless you would find it easier to gain the financial support you need if you were a nobleman yourself.”

With a faint smile, he takes his leave of you.

Spoiler: Theo and Gunn
    Show
    Atop Ardaionn, the miles roll by effortlessly beneath you, the landscape spectacular in grandeur from such a lofty height. Yet as you reach Greychapel, the sight that greets your eyes is far less appealing: a walled army camp, with scores of tents in regimented order, and a block of soldiers glinting with steel, numbering in their thousands. From the skies you are unable to make out detail; as you descend, you come to realise that the rank and file are humanoid constructs, uniform and inhumanly still, while the officers are elves in ornate arcanist robes.

You land close to the front entrance of the Cornellan Estate, and three figures walk out to meet you: Brother Niall of the Templars, wary eyes showing concern at your brashness; former Chancellor Martak, all but frothing at the mouth with rage and loathing at the sight of Theo; and an elven man in emerald green robes, decorated with silver arcane symbols, dark hair bound in a severe knot, who regards you with disdain and mild curiosity. Power seems to radiate from the elf, your hairs bristling at the magical energies that surround him.

A score of Templars rush out behind Niall, fanning out into two lines to either side of you, converging on the three leaders ahead of you. A show of force, if what you sense from the elf leaves any need for such.

Martak thrusts a finger forward at Theo, snarling.

“You?! Of all the envoys I might have expected, those pretenders who sit on my throne send the self-serving schemer who goaded the politicians to turn against me? Are they addled, or deranged?”

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Althazan smiles faintly. "The wearers of the black star serve as they see fit. That's more or less the point. But from time to time the Council may bring particular breaches of the Commandments to your attention, and you will be expected to address them. Decisively."
    Last edited by ilinares; 2019-04-20 at 02:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #694
    Titan in the Playground

As Hesa continues to struggle and refuses to surrender Rosalind looks to Lady Amalthea who seems to keep missing against the heavily armored enemy and through their mental link they move in union, switching places, but not before Lady Amalthea tries to strike one last time.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Both are taking a 5ft step which does not provoke to swap spots with each other
    Lady Amalthea attack (1d20+14)[15] Damage (1d8+9)[16]

Chains (3d6)[6] Non lethal damage they have 48 health remaing

Rosalind Full unarmed attack
    (1d20+17)[21] Damage (1d3)[2] If Hesa is evil he takes (1d6)[1] Dex damage and 1 minute later (2d6)[9] dex damage from touch of golden ice

Attack 2 (1d20+12)[22] Damage (1d20+3)[9] Golden Ice again (1d6)[3] 1 minute later (2d6)[11]

5. - Top - End - #695

Hesa continues trying to free himself.
    Show

Full Attack:
    (1d20+19)[25] for (3d6)[11] + (2d6)[7]
    (1d20+14)[16] for (3d6)[10] + (2d6)[8]
    (1d20+9)[10] for (3d6)[8] + (2d6)[9]

So 18 damage meaning 9 each.
    Last edited by Timble; 2019-04-20 at 08:10 PM.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Titan in the Playground

As Hesa continues to try and free himself the chain around him continues to tighten, though it is starting to show strain. "Do you really think killing yourself worth it Hesa. Surrender the girl to me and end this nonsense already." Sister Rosalind says as the chain continues to try to restrain the huge figure before her into submission as she one more tried to use her powers to freeze him in place, all she needed was to touch him after all.

Spoiler: These actions assume Hesa refuses to her terms of submitting
    Show

PS how is Hesa doing healthwise? Would she notice he is starting to look tired or what? As while the non lethal damage is non lethal eventually if it catches up to his current hp he falls unconcious

(3d6)[15] Chain damage
    Chain still has 39 hp

Rosalind Full Attack All non lethal (1d20+17)[30] Damage (1d3)[1] Golden Ice (1d6)[4] Dex damage (2d6)[11] 1 min later
    Attack 2 (1d20+12)[26] Damage (d3)[3] Golden Ice (1d6)[5] Dex damage (2d6)[4] 1 min later

7. - Top - End - #697

Hesa just replied with a short laugh. The chains were getting more restrictive, but he wasn't done yet. The priestess managed to land a few blows, which failed to faze him.
    Show

Full Attack, if I still have attacks left after the chain breaks I'll redirect them.
    (1d20+19)[21] for (3d6)[9]
    (1d20+14)[28] for (3d6)[12]
    (1d20+9)[12] for (3d6)[8]

21 damage to split, so 11. Wait, forgot deep crystal, doing that in the other thread. And I forgot strength both this and last time...

As for his condition, he's still fine. Damaged but managing.
    Edit: With the OOC Thread damage correction, visible bleeding.
    Last edited by Timble; 2019-04-21 at 01:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind shakes her head disappointed as the man refuses to just give up Livana. So this is the blind devotion the soldiers of the false god have, even with death close at hand they still refuse to give in. That does not bode well for those fighting them, as they are much like the dwarves. she thinks to herself before telling Lady Amalthea they had to switch once more, and so the two once more swap places, as Rosalind prepares for her next assault.

Show

(3d6)[16] Chain
    Ready Action Once the chains break Rosalind is casting Constricting Chains again as it is an exalted spell by giving up Sunbeam
    She will take (1d2)[2] Str damage, and Hesa will take an additional (3d6)[12] non lethal damage Thus another 75 hp

Lady Amalthea Full Attack
    Horn (1d20+14)[21] Damage (1d8+9)[11]
    Hoof 1 (1d20+11)[12] Damage (1d4+6)[9]
    Hoof 2 (1d20+6)[7] Damage (1d4+6)[10]

Thats a total of 63 nonlethal damage by my count so far, and 72 damage you have taken from yourself, if he is still standing that is insane
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-04-21 at 06:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #699

Hesa holds back from breaking the chains, as he was weakening under their effects. Focusing his powers, he reaches out to touch the unicorn, opening his terrible wounds upon its body as his own healed..
    Spoiler: Emphatic Transfer, Hostile
    Show

Touch Attack: (1d20+14)[25] (Taking Entangled and -4 into account)
    70 damage, Will DC 19 to halve. Damage not lessened by damage reduction, regeneration or immunities.
    Manifest Defensive is an autopass. Looking up constricting chains, the DC to cast is 15+Power level so an auto pass too.

Because of his class abilities, he hasn't taken as much damage as you think but he is close. Well, up until the above.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

As Hesa does something unexpected lady anathema is caught of guard but quickly recovers staving off the worst of the pain she would have endured had she failed to resist the strange power.

Sister Rosalind again prepares for him to break the chain and cast a new one on him as lady amalthea once more attacks.

(3d6)[11] non lethal damage using my last roll for this rounds and this one is for when he shatters the chain rosalind makes a new one instantly

Lady amalthea attack (1d20+14)[32] damage (1d8+9)[16]

Hoof (1d20+11)[25] damage (1d4+6)[7]
    Hoof 2 (1d20+6)[8] damage (1d4+6)[7]

11. - Top - End - #701

Now healed enough to attempt a breakout, Hesa smashed off the last of his chain only to be ensnared again. Unexpecting to be chained again, the unicorn managed to drive its horn through his armour.
    Show

Attack 1 (1d20+19)[33] for (3d6+12)[21]
    Ok, 1st chain broken.

Attack 2 (1d20+14)[27] for (3d6+12)[22] + (2d6)[8]
    Attack 3 (1d20+9)[28] for (3d6+12)[29] + (2d6)[6]

And I may as well use Sweeping Strikes to target Amalthea's space too, at -4.

so 30 dam, 15 each and 35 dam, 17 each. Total 32 each.
    Last edited by Timble; 2019-04-21 at 07:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    The total damage Hesa took would be 44 not 32, as while it only took 3 damage to break the previous chain, the attack still does its full damage. So Hesa's Damage count is up to 71 Lethal (as I do not know if Lady Amalthea's attacks hit or not) And as this post is being written 74 non lethal damage.

The second chain has taken hits from your last two attacks so it has taken the 32 out of 75 damage you were talking about leaving it at 43 hp remaing Now for Rosalind and Lady Amalthea's turn

Easily dodging the sweeping attacks of Hesa, Lady Amalthea lashes out with her horn before switching places with Rosalind once more, as the two swap places in their dance trying to wear down Hesa so that he would fall unconscious and they could save Livana and turn him into the proper authorities.

Spoiler: This rounds actions
    Show

Constricting Chain (3d6)[7] non lethal damage

Lady Amalthea Horn Attack (1d20+14)[15] Damage (1d8+9)[10]
    Rosalind Full attack nonlethal damage
    Attack 1 (1d20+17)[25] Damage (1d3-2)[0]Golden Ice (1d6)[4] dex damage (2d6)[5] dex 1 minute later
    Attack 2 (1d20+12)[29] Damage (1d3-2)[1] Golden Ice (1d6)[1] dex damage (2d6)[7] 1 min later

New total is 81 nonlethal damage as I do not know if her unarmed attacks hit as I do not have Hesa's sheet anywhere
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-04-21 at 07:10 PM.

13. - Top - End - #703

Hesa once again reaches out, his strength drained, to pass on his injuries. This time he reaches out to Rosalind, seeking to pass on his wounds.
    Spoiler: Emphatic Transfer, Hostile
    Show

Touch: (1d20+14)[25] (Entangled, -4 accounted)
    70 damage, Will DC19 to halve.
    Concentration checks autopassing.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    So I have gone through the entire OOC 2 and not found a single sheet for Hesa, earlier you said if Lady Amalthea hit you good once you would be down (and your damage total was a lot lower) you healed 45, and took 60 damage that was lethal on top of an additional 7 points of non lethal damage (thats a 22 point difference) and your telling me Hesa is still standing after previously saying he was 1 good hit from being unconscious not even 2 posts before no offense but something is not adding up.

Rosalind already knowing the sly trick about to be pulled easily resists Hesa trying to sap away at her health to keep himself standing against all logical odds. Once more the chains tighten around the warrior cutting off circulation to his body easily by now and no doubt making it difficult to breath as she lashes out swaps places with Lady Amalthea once more, healing the unicorn as she passes, and allowing Lady Amalthea to once more attack with renewed vigor.

Show

Sister Rosalind Empowered Cure Light wounds (1d8+7)[12] x1.5 + 38 temp hp (which also gets hit with the empowered part of the spell so 57 temp hp
    Free Action Chains (3d6)[11] Non lethal damage
    Lady Amalthea Full Attack (+1 higher to attack due to the healing kicker)
    Horn (1d20+15)[18] Damage (1d8+9)[11]
    Hoof 1 (1d20+12)[13] Damage (1d4+6)[7]
    Hoof 2 (1d20+7)[9] Damage (1d4+6)[8]

Lady Amalthea is back at max hp with 87 temp hp being sat on
    92 Nonlethal damage dealt
    42 Lethal
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2019-04-21 at 09:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo coolly tips his brow in a sincere and reserved note of salute, and walks alongside Gunn with a straight back. He scans the crowd, taking note of everything within sight, until Martok spits his anger at Theo's face. Theo takes a kerchief from his pant-pocket to wipe the spittle and returned it. His tone was authoritative, powerful, and in charge.

The throne was never yours, your lordship. You held it in stewardship in place of Prince Amdel, who you lead an army against. I goaded none, I spoke the truth, you sought war with a nation who sent you a peace offering, and everyone agreed. And now you have proven my vote of no confidence was righteous, as I see that you bring a new invading army to fight a war with the people you wish to rule. And all while a malicious force from Feron attacks your shore, and demons walk the streets.

And I serve none but Charis, and you are bold to state otherwise among so many of Her faithful. There are none who can deny that She blesses me, or do you add blasphemy to the charges you lay before me?
    He says, anger starting to swell in his chest. He looks to Gunn; Theo may have let his inner fire get the best of him, and he and Gunn came to make peace. Theo was going to get nowhere with Martak, but he scanned the crowd looking for any citizen of New Ganthar nearby, hoping to turn some of the support the ex Chancellor had gained.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

16. - Top - End - #706

Hesa could feel himself weakening. He shouldn't have showed restraint at the start, if he had struck first rather than try to warn them away he could have done something.
    "Take... take me... into sanctuary..." he gasped, "and I'll make sure... your hospital stays... safe during the invasion..."
    With a final wheeze, he collapses, blood trickling out of his armour.

(So, that's the end of my control over Hesa)

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    As Hesa finally collapses, you are able at last to take in the scene. Livana regards you from the corner of the room, eyes slightly wide at the display she has witnessed, tightly bound with strong ropes and firmly gagged. She has been stripped of most of her possessions, which sit now on a table to your right, leaving her with only enough clothing to preserve her modesty. Even her shoes, you note, have been taken from her. An obstacle in the path of escape? Possibly.

As you instinctively look over Hesa, ensuring he has not caused himself lasting injury in his struggles to escape, you receive a Sending from Wyrrel, the Vanguard officer who took custody of your captive necromancers.

“Rosalind - message received. We don't have the spells to track your location. Where are you? What support do you need?”

18. - Top - End - #708
    Titan in the Playground

As Hesa falls unconscious before her feet she steps over the now shrinking body and walks over to Livana, a warm kind smile on her face. Coming up to Livana she takes the gag out of the woman's mouth as Lady Amalthea cuts the rope with her horn before going back to stand guard over Hesa ready to strike him down should he regain consciousness. "I am just happy I was able to get here when I did, just please, don't let anyone know about this. Say you helped or something, and I will consider us even." the woman says helping Livana up, before turning to give her some privacy while she removes all of Hesa's belongings, while doing so finding the staff of Maya. "Well I see I know where my next stop is now." she notes to no one in particular when she receives to messages quickly back to back.

Replying in the order given she replies to Perseus first.
    That is fine, and just captured Hesa and saved Livana let others know. I do not follow on lead defense
    she says ending the conversation as she knew the limits of the spell being used.

Next she replies to Wyrrel of the vanguard
    "None now, pick up and lock up at the docks, Livana safe." Rosalind sends, giving an idea of the building she was at so they could get here quickly.

With the two sendings done she turns back to Livana. "So rough day? I just got done speaking with Rothen and I must say you are much more enjoyable to speak with." she says trying to relieve some of the stress in the air.

Once the vanguard arrive Rosalind gets atop Lady Amalthea once more, the staff of Maya wrapped up on her person. "I must return this to its proper owner now, I trust you can bring Livana back to the palace, if not she may come with me. Also don't underestimate Hesa, it took a lot to bring him down." she says waiting to see if Livana was coming with her or the Vanguard before departing with all of Hesa's gear with her to be given to Yara as his closets kin, and what she did not want, sold by Mr. Gunn to pay for the damages caused by Hesa, heading to the temple of Maya to return the staff of Maya to its proper owner.

19. - Top - End - #709

Riding on the back of the Giant Eagle is a much different experience than Gunn is used to, and it takes some effort to control his nausea. Upon landing, he emits a sigh of relief--a feeling that quickly dissipates when he senses the hostility in Martok's words.

Gunn steps foward, placing a hand on Theo's shoulder. "We are not here to argue, Lord Martok. Theo is right; Feronax sends an army of men and dragons to assault our people. When they breach our defenses, they will conquer us without mercy. There will be no throne left for you to claim.

"Unless, that is, you are willing to set aside your differences and join in the common defense of our island and our home. There may yet be a chance for a peaceful resolution to our civil dispute. May we speak privately?"

Diplomacy: (1d20+29)[43]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn and Theo
    Show
    Martak looks on the verge of a sharp retort - but Niall checks him with a hand on the shoulder, unconsciously mirroring Gunn's restraint of Theo. There is also another, less pleasant association: his apparent camaraderie in Old Ganthar just before trying to murder Theo.

"We should hear them out, my Lord. An invasion by a foreign power? This is unwelcome news. Can it be the will of Charis that we fight among ourselves while the city falls to an invading force?"

Martak glances at the elf, who curls a lip before speaking in a cultured voice that has overtones of one forced to speak to an individual he despises. "It is a matter of little importance to me, Chancellor. I am here to secure your reign. If there is a second threat to it, that bears consideration."

With an expression of one out-maneuvered, Martak leads you inside, showing you to a private room and leaving all but Niall and the elf outside. He sits, neglecting to offer you a chair, and signals for you to speak your mind.

Show
    Livana rubs her chafed wrists and manages a weak chuckle. "I've had better days," she manages. "I knew he was tough, of course, but I thought I could fool him long enough to get help. Well, it worked out well enough, and it's only been half a day. Things can't have gone wholly to the Hells in my absence."

Rising, she wobbles slightly as the blood rushes back to her legs, and has to grab at you for support. She then gathers her belongings.

"I'll follow you if I may. I would hear what you have been involved in before I report back to my Prince."

Your arrival at the Temple of Maya is a cause of no little delight, for the Sapphire Staff is an obvious and recognisable sight. Katraya steps out to meet you, kissing you on each cheek and grinning at you.

"I never thought I would see the day. Thank you, Sister! A thousand times thank you!"
    Last edited by ilinares; 2019-04-22 at 02:29 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo, thankful that Gunn had turned so many ears against Martak that he had to hear them out, resolved to be more graceful inside the tent. The soldiers had heard one, a disgraced former Chancellor, act out like a petulant child who didn't get what he wanted. An another, they saw what Theo hoped was a respectable leader of men. Oh Charis, help us turn a mind for good today.

He wasn't dismayed at being offered no chair. Theo was a warrior, he had a strong straight back that carried more burdens than he'd care to list. My Lord, Brother Niall is correct. Charis tolerates a great many things. With Her sight set upon the horizon and threats beyond our comprehension. I came because I cannot sit idly by, doing nothing, while you turn brother against brother in a cause that needn't be solved with bloodshed. Mr Gunn and I came here hoping that you'd see that the violence you've prepared for is ill-spent bringing war to the front steps of your countrymen
    . He said, trailing off to let Gunn come in to say his piece.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

"Depends on who you ask, I am sure if you ask Natalie she will disagree with you, though then again she enjoys hell. It seems a war is about to happen with two different armies and I was asked what kind of war asset I could be by your stand in Rothen. Can you believe the gal, a war asset." Sister Rosalind says sounding as if she had swallowed something sour. "And so much for devoting all his resources to finding you, took me no time at all. Simply asked the Lovers and followed the trail, even saw what happened. Not your fault though, Hesa tricked a lot of us." she says checking to make sure he was still unconscious before continuing.

"Easy now, let me have a look at you." Sister Rosalind says as Livana tries to stand and becomes wobbly on her feet. Helping to steady her, Rosalind channels the smallest amount of positive energy into her to help the blood start flowing, rubbing her hands back and forth quickly before placing them on the muscles in Livana's legs as she does so. "Its the simple things that help the most at times." she says with a smile.

Spoiler: Cure Minor wounds + Heal check to get the blood pumping again
    Show

(1d20+25)[28]
    Cure minor wounds +3hp and +38temp hp

"If that is what you wish Livana, though we should wait for the vanguard to pick him up first." the priestess of the Lovers explains before launching into her story. "Let's see, I tracked down the undead that fled the battle the day before to a broken down building in the poor district and captured three mages that were turned into the vanguard with Pran. He took on a Bodak, much like I did though it seems his affinity is with the Mother's touch not the Fathers. I asked the guard to let all dwarves know my hospice has become a safe haven for them given the citizens of New Ganther have turned on their neighbors all because they are dwarven. If Kharheim were to see this it would not bode well so I took action. Had to expand my Hospice to do so, and then take over all the vacant buildings near as when I returned from the meeting with Rothen, which might I add did not go well, a great deal of people were seeking sanctuary. As you may know, I am still a citizen of Pacem, and it has been brought to my attention the new empress is keeping a close eye on events in New Ganther. My...activities have sparked a debate of if one cleric of the Lovers could do so much what an entire flock could do, or all of Pacem. This is not the way our old emperor saw things, may the Mother hold his soul. Nor is it how I see things, New Ganther is a child just begining to take its first steps and should be protected but not at the cost of having no freedom. So I have limited myself in my tasks, making it appear like others have done what I have so my people turn their gaze elsewhere." Sister Rosalind says not even pausing to think of what her taking over the nearby buildings could mean legally.

"Then myself, Theo, Yara, and Mr.Gunn and no doubt Perseus were going to stop a ritual from taking place, but were called to the palace before we could do so. Time sadly is against us, and I used a lot more resources then I would have wished against Hesa. And well saving you now of course, but that is all I can think of that I have been up to. Busier than normal, but still doing the work that must be done to protect the people." she says kindly as they walk after the vanguard had arrived.

"I made a promise to you Katraya and I do not break my promises easily. Especially for those I consider my friends." she says after their embrace. "During the battle with Shroud it seems Hesa gained control of the staff and hid it on his person without Theo knowing. It is why it was not returned to you right away. I am sure if he was here High Priest Theo would apologize for having you wait so long for what is yours to be returned." Sister Rosalind says, hoping to smooth over any tension between the church of Maya and the church of Charis that had come up due to the staff.

Spoiler: Diplomacy
    Show

(1d20+33)[44]

"Is there anything else you may need Katraya before I depart? I must make sure Livana makes it back to the palace safely." Sister Rosalind says kindly to the Guardian of the temple of Maya. If nothing is needed she makes her way to the palace with Livana, during their walk she asks. "Livana I am having a dilema of sorts. After being sent to Kharheim and negotiating a peace I returned in a rather odd manner as you may remember. However I still gave a full report of all I learned about the customs of Kharheim as well as the people. In my report I also explained about the attack that took place trying to stop myself and Mr. Gunn from reaching the shores of Kharheim which would have no doubt led to a war." she says trying to see if Livana was following her line of thinking.

"If after my report was given you believed pirates were attacking merchant ships, and it was the dwarves that you believed why would you not look back and see that something similar had been tried to stop me? A simple ploy led to three naval ships engaging the Kharheim vessel sent to aid us because proper intelligence was not used. This worries me as it is not the first time this has happened, if you remember with Chancellor Martok on the throne trying to start a war after hearing Yara acted alone. Add in the princes illness when we first meet, and a temple to Malture below the palace I believe you have a snake in your midist, however I have no idea who it is. The Lovers have warned me not to be distracted by the war to seek the betrayer in the shadows where he bides his time, and as their messenger spoke to you I believe you should know my concerns. What you choose to do with them is up to you, Rothen seems to think I am a zealous fool, I would like to look at it as not so guilble to bite at the worm dangling infront of me and becoming someone elses dinner.

23. - Top - End - #713

"High Priest, please," Gunn says, standing next to Theo. "Lord Martok could just as easily cast the blame for this conflict at your doorstep; after all, it was through your efforts that he lost the chancellorship." Stepping forward, Gunn says, "We are not here to argue about the past, or who is responsible for our impending civil war. We are here to set aside our differences, if only temporarily, and make common cause against the outsiders who threaten our sovereignty. All of us have New Ganthar's best interests at heart; our disagreement is merely over the best way, and best people, to see those interests come to be realized. And surely, all of us agree, that the army of Feronax taking control of the island is not in our best interests! It is to that end that we, on behalf of the Crown, propose an alliance against the army of Feronax, and whatever other armies may threaten us from beyond. Once the impending invasion, or invasions, as the case may be, are dealt with, the Crown is willing to negotiate a lasting peace with you, Lord Martok. Feronax's fleet is New Ganthar's doorstep. Can the citizenry count you, Lord Martok, as their protector?" (Diplomacy: (1d20+29)[33])

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    It takes twenty minutes for Wyrrel to arrive, a tense time of monitoring Hesa and resisting your instinctive urge to heal him. When they do arrive, it is with Valeria - one of the archmages who sits on the Arcane Fellowship's Council, and who fought Shroud by your side and proved herself an able warrior. Her presence does much to assuage any reluctance you might feel at handing Hesa over.

As they leave, Livana gives a choked laugh. When you meet her eyes, she explains: “Hesa gave me the idea for the new prison we're building, did you know that? Not by anything he said, but by what he is: a warrior who could hardly be called a mage, but who knows enough magic to be a formidable threat. Neither fish nor fowl. After the Krom incident, I thought back on his help in escorting that monster to our jail, and the idea of a joint facility came to me. Now he's going to be its first inmate.”

As you explain your adventures, walking through the city streets - passing, you note, alarming numbers of soldiers rushing to their unknown destinations, and civilians boarding up their homes and gathering their belongings for a hasty exodus - Livana's face becomes grave.

“Rothen is a good man, but he wasn't ready to take on my job. I'm sorry that you didn't see him at his best. He must be under a great deal of stress.

“But - Sister, you know I respect and like you, and you have done more for this city and me personally than almost anyone I can think of. But you must see that, without that context, Rothen would have seen you as setting yourself on a collision course with the laws of this land?

“Look at what you have been doing. Creating a safe haven for dwarves facing persecution is a noble aim, but at a time when we face war with their homeland, must represent a real security concern.

“You declare yourself allied to a foreign nation, and withdraw your help from New Ganthar to offer it to - it must seem - Kharheim's populace instead. I doubt you shared with Rothen what you have just told me. He might have seen that as another hostile nation joining the forces arraigned against us.

“Now you have been seizing land you have not paid for to expand your personal stronghold; the lawyers will call that trespass and criminal damage, while the politicians will see it as deliberate provocation.

“In short, you present problems. Problems that we may be able to solve, if you will cooperate with me to that end, but not easily.”

Your conversation is interrupted by the arrival at Maya's Temple. You and Katraya exchange words; at the offer of further help, the Guardian grins broadly, holding the Staff reverently.

“You have done more than enough, Sister. And I know you are not one to seek material reward - nor does my Temple have great wealth to throw around - but I can hardly let this pass without some form of recognition.

“Our faith owes you a debt we cannot repay. Ask anything of us, and if it is within our power, it will be done.”

When you set on your way again, conversation turns to the recent confrontation with Kharheim. As you outline your fears of a hidden agent within the Crown's employ, Livana sighs.
    [b]
    “There is an attraction to blaming major follies on some deliberate villainy,” she notes softly. “And sometimes they prove true. But I think you are underestimating the scope for bad policy decisions to arise from ordinary people, struggling to make the best decisions in a short timescale with the fate of a country on their shoulders.

“I was party to discussions about these attacks, apparently by a ship from Kharheim, on our traders. So I know the arguments that were raging behind the scenes.

“Firstly, we didn't draw the link between these attacks and what you tell me was in your report. I hold my hands up to that. Yes, the ideal reasoner would have looked at these events, remembered the detail of your report, drawn the comparison, and concluded that they were being deceived. Ideal reasoners, however, are few and far between. Human beings make mistakes.

“Having said that, we did consider the possibility someone else was behind these attacks, someone trying to sabotage the peace process. Lord Clauth, I think, first raised the suggestion.

“Rithelm's answer was that, even if there is a deception, that would mean there is a ship out there impersonating the Kharheim contingent, which we may not be able to distinguish from the real thing. He thought that would mean being more cautious, not less, about letting the dwarves dock here unguarded.

“Rithelm sees everything through the lens of his military background; he will look for a plan that addresses every foreseeable eventuality, and he can be like a dog with a bone if something catches his attention. If he saw there was a credible possibility the dwarf ship was a military threat, he wouldn't tolerate any approach ignoring that threat. Clauth is a diplomat and an appeaser; he argued for tact and discretion, but couldn't suggest a solution that would protect us if the threat proved to be real.

“It sounds like what happened was a half baked compromise between the two. That, I fear, has been characteristic of this co-regency.

“And then they sent three ships, did they, to engage the dwarves? From your tone, I take it you feel it should have been obvious what would happen. But remember, it is very different having spent time among a people, getting a feel for their culture and values, to reading a dry written report on the subject. I doubt any of us truly know the dwarves as you do - so we formulate our plans as we would when dealing with another human nation.

“What I truly regret is our not asking you - the closest thing we have to an expert on Kharheim - to advise us. For the record, I made that recommendation twice. The first time there was a suggestion that, since you were the one to tell us we were to expect an allied force and the trustworthiness of that contingent was being called into question, we needed to look more closely into your background and satisfy ourselves of your loyalty before we called on you again. It took time and effort to deal with that concern.

“By the time I'd gathered enough to satisfy the Chancellors, it was too late - you were fighting Shroud, and a decision had to be made straight away.

“Omissions. Preconceptions. Fallible memory. Bureaucracy and suspicion. These are the factors that led us where we are, more than any malevolent influence. We are our own worst enemies.

“But do not think I am dismissing your fears out of hand. I will investigate, and if I can find anything to suggest a foreign power at work, I will defend this country as my predecessors have for generations.”

She pauses, realising you are getting close to the Palace.

“You mentioned a ritual you need to deal with. Something more urgent than this war, I take it? I trust your judgment enough to know that you wouldn't say that lightly. If you don't have time to do everything you would wish, may I venture to advise you to do two things: prioritise, and delegate?”

Show
    Martak is visibly mollified by Gunn's words, particularly by the description of him as the nation's protector. If were to start preening like a peacock, you would be unsurprised.

The elf, however, seems unmoved.

“Let us not forget that it is Elania's army you would use as a shield in this affair,”
    he notes in a steady, precise monotone. “At present, the command of that army is my responsibility. I will need more than vague assurances of peaceful coexistence to put my forces at risk.

“It seems to me that this Feronax is handing us a noteworthy military advantage. Should we lightly give that up? Should we spend elven lives and assets if it does not further Elania's goals?

“Indeed, I see no benefit for Elania in this. Better, I think, if we let your armies be depleted fighting the dragon, then strike when you are weakened.”

“Honour demands that we defend New Ganthar,”
    Niall growls.

“Your honour,”
    the elf notes mildly, “not mine.”

25. - Top - End - #715

Gunn nods in agreement at the elf's words. "We haven't been introduced. I am Thomas Gunn." He waits for the elf to give their name, then continues. "I understand your position, and appreciate it. Were I in your shoes, I would think the same. Peaceful coexistence is in all our interests--what assurances would qualify?"

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

As Livana explains to Rosalind how she got an idea for a new jail she could not help but chuckle at the irony of the situation. "Sometimes our best ideas come from the most unlikely of places. I simply hope it will be enough to hold him." Sister Rosalind explains knowing with war immanent keeping someone in a guarded cell would be difficult.

"Under a great deal of stress or not I am afraid Kharheim judges an entire people, or in this case nation, on the actions of a single individual. As they see it as one person speaks for the clan in their own home, so should a king, or those who speak for him speak with one voice. Meaning any action must in their eyes be what everyone wants. He should of instead spent his time looking for you better if he could not handle the job he was to take over in your absence."

"I believe we both know how I feel about laws Livana, they are good when they work. And when they do not protect the people they should they need to be fixed, sometimes for great change, great action must be taken to force it. The dwarves that live on New Ganther are no doubt clanless and thus not even recognized by the people of Kharheim. No doubt to escape death, poverty, or some other fate they choose to come to New Ganther in self imposed exile. All their lives they have lived in peace, and now when they feel themselves as citizens of a country they are attacked because of who they are. Even in your words I see the same fear that the common people do, it is why I made my hospice a safe haven. If the town guard rounded them up people would look at them as criminals or worse and the violence would continue or get worse, the guard have said almost as much themselves. So when the law could not protect its own people I ask what would any kind person do but offer these innocents the protection the law should have provided?" Rosalind points out before adding, "And if any of them still held ties to Kharheim what do you think would leave a door open for diplomacy, turning aside their kin in need or helping them in their time of need?

Show
    (1d20+33)[35]

"And asking me, a citizen of Pacem to join a war New Ganther started knowing it could not win is acceptable? I have never once seeked out to become a citizen of New Ganther, I love my country as much as you love yours Livana. Would I do anything to harm your country however, or see it fall, the answer is no. It is the opposite of why I was sent here to begin with, I was sent to help stabilize and make sure New Ganther grew. If I accepted to become part of your war I would at best be stripped of being a citizen of Pacem, at worst give the Empress the reason to go back to the old ways and with the armies of Pacem march to "protect" New Ganther. And I assure you if you enjoy the independence you have you would not enjoy answering to Pacem's rule, especially those with lots of money as it would be the first thing stripped to help the poor." the priestess of the Lover's explains, showing that she in truth could not take a side in this war without bringing Pacem into it as well in some shape form or way, in staying out of it she was helping New Ganther more then she could by joining them. "Also the dwarves know that I am from Pacem, an outsider in New Ganther meaning they would be more willing to trust me then any diplomat you could ever hope to try and open peace talks with now. The actions of New Ganther are not the actions of Pacem if you will. Meaning if at a time it becomes possible they would be more willing to accept me as a mediator in peace talks and thus I would be able to help the people of both sides once more." she points out, reinforcing the point that she was more useful as a neutral party.

Show

(1d20+33)[45]

"I have seized nothing, the magic I used to add to my building was on empty land to house more people that need sanctuary. And when a great deal more then I could fit in my hospice came seeking shelter from the storm they can sense coming I asked them to for the moment stay in the unoccupied buildings near my hospice which no one was in. A vacant building helps no one, it does not bring the crown money, it does not provide shelter for those who need it most, and most importantly it is a waste of resources. If these lawyers and such wished to push the issue I would simply ask Mr. Gunn to flat out buy all these buildings, as my trust has more then enough for such things, followed by having them fixed up for the people of the poor quarter. The people at the top of the ladder always see a problem when those down below try to make a simple living for themselves if they cannot profit off of it, that is why the poor quarter is the way it is. There is no harm or danger in giving desperate people who are afraid a place to sleep and feel safe. And you wish me to appease the politicians, why should I have to go before a bunch of richly dressed people and explain myself while people die of hunger, freeze to death in the cold, and other far worse things? I came to save you, just like that day I went to the princes's side not because it was expected of me, or because I wanted New Ganther to owe me, but because it was the right thing to do. Every action I take is to protect as many people as I can, so tell me what would you ask me to do to appease these greedy (insert Pacem word for swine, bigot)?"

At the temple of Maya when Rosalind is told that if she ever needed anything to ask she bows her head. "All I ask for is what I have always asked for Katraya, protect the people who cannot protect themselves. Be kind to thy neighbors and look out for one another. Mr. Gunn is funding a restoration movement in the poor district if any wish to teach when we begin we would be more then welcome for the assistance." she says as if the war was not a concern to her, almost as if she knew the outcome of it already and saw a future for New Ganther.

Show
    Basically Rosalind is asking for them to keep doing what they normally do, just to be a bit more active in the community.

"Do you know what happens in Kharheim when one person brings dishonor on their clan to a point where the only way to expunge it is beyond simple needs that an honor duel will not even suffice? They remove the person from power and do all in their power to rectify the great dishonor that was inacted in their clans name. Now I know we are not Kharheim, however while humans make mistakes leaders must always be more careful as their mistakes hold a greater danger then a commoners."

"So a decorated military leader saw it safer to go at an unknown ship that they knew little about in open water then to instead let the ship land, and call for me who knew who was supposed to be coming when it docked? Obviously have the guards their so we do not have the same kind of incident as the first time Kharheim had people on our shores but still, it would have been much wiser to lure this false ship into port. Because if our ships were being attacked, what do you think was happening to the Kharheim vessel? After all to start a war both sides must think the other is trying to fight them."

"And the diplomat that was still in Kharheim, no doubt on a ship heading hear that New Ganther sent with me? You say dusty dry reports but if we do not learn from our past we are doomed to repeat it. In Martoks first dealing with Kharheim he treated them like he would a human nation and tried to start a fight he could not hope to win. And what do your new rulers do, send three ships to question the honor of a people who hold honor in the highest regard. The plan may have been fruitful had they seen a familiar face as you stated, or if instead of accusing them of piracy one looked at those dusty dry reports and explained to Captain Bain that pirates had been attacking ships lately and they wanted to escort them safely to harbor. The dwarves no doubt would have seen this as New Ganther for once honoring their role as a host and protecting their guests and allies. It would have made a strong enough bond that when told it was a Kharheim ship that had been sinking the ships and accused of piracy they and no doubt your people would have realized it was no doubt a ruse to start a war. If it was up to me a military leader would not sit on the throne, as you said they are too focused, a diplomat is better, but appeases to much at times. YOU should have been the regent." Rosalind says frankly.

"This ritual holds the power to contain a strength a lot more powerful then the dragons coming to face us under the control of the Betrayer's followers. It's fuel is the souls of the innocents. My priority is the people I must protect, and to do this I must stop this ritual. My only other agenda at the moment is to find something only I can unlock so I do not see how delegating will help in this endeavor."

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The elf inclines his head slightly in response to your introduction. "Morundar," he replies.

At your next statement he smiles briefly - the slightest twitch of the lips. "A bold statement to express as axiomatic. Is peaceful coexistence in the interests of Elania? That is very much the question at issue.

"It is one thing to say that the price of war is high. It is another to say it is never justified.

“Let me be clear. Your little band of squatters is of less concern to Elania than the flea troubles the lion. Our interest is not in your petty concerns, but in the role you play in our ancient conflict with Kharheim.

“We look at your country, and what do we see? Diplomatic overtures towards the dwarves. An invitation to station a garrison here, accepted in defiance of all existing treaties.

“Martak, here, has assured us that this dalliance with our enemies is the doing of usurpers and theists - and that, once sovereignty is restored to him, he will correct the issue. That is the nature and extent of our interest here.”

Show
    Livana holds up her hands in surrender.

"Peace, Sister! I'm not denying it was a cockup of truly heroic proportions. I'm only trying to explain how it happened, so you don't run off looking for a hidden enemy agent where none exists.

"I wasn't the one who decided who should be Regent. Father Theo came up with the power sharing idea, and convinced Parliament to back Rithelm and Clauth. He saw it as the best of both worlds, expecting to see the strengths of both Regents combine into a greater whole. In many ways he was right; but we also have to deal with the weaknesses of both.

"I was never in the running; my role is to work behind the scenes. I've done my best to moderate the extremes, to counsel and to guide; but my place is in the shadows.

"As for this ritual, perhaps these are tasks only you can perform - but if you feel prevented from carrying them out by other responsibilities, like to your hospice, maybe it is there that you can delegate?

"Well, food for thought. And here is the Palace; time to bring this pleasant vacation to an end."
    She winks at you, her eyes twinkling. "If you need anything, you know where to find me. My door is always open to you, Sister."
    Last edited by ilinares; 2019-04-24 at 11:31 AM.

28. - Top - End - #718

Gunn smiles, albeit falsely. "If I understand you correctly, the purpose of your presence here is two-fold. One, to ensure that Martak is restored to rule. The other, to ensure that New Ganthar remains neutral, or otherwise does not ally with Kharheim, or any other outside entity--besides Elania, I surmise." He pauses, then continues. "You are concerned about the overtures from the dwarves to New Ganthar, and from New Ganthar to the dwarves. Allow me to explain. A (since reformed) agent of Feronax disrupted a meeting between a diplomatic envoy from New Ganthar, and Chancellor Martok. The Chancellor blamed the dwarves for this, and upon his subsequent deposing, threatened war. All that has happened since has been in an effort to maintain New Ganthar's neutrality, and protect against threats from the outside.

"The overtures by Sister Rosalind to Kharheim were to ensure that no ill-will existed between the two nations, as a result of the aforementioned incident. The garrison you speak of was invited to protect New Ganthar's neutrality and sovereignty. The previously referenced agent of Feronax had warned of a coming invasion, and Rosalind took it upon herself to seek allies against it. They were also a precautionary force against any attempt by Lord Martok to reclaim his Chancellorship with the help of Elanian soldiers." Gunn lets that hang in the air for a moment before continuing. "If your interest is in ensuring that no friendship between New Ganthar and Kharheim exists, you--and Lord Martok--may rest easy. There is no garrison of dwarven warriors that will be coming to New Ganthar's aid, and none that have come. The only troops that are here in violation of existing treaties, Morundar, are yours." His expression darkens as he is once again silent for a moment.

"But!" He exclaims with a definite upbeat tone. "It is fortunate that they are. If it is your goal to improve relations between New Ganthar and Elania, potentially even leading to an alliance or more, now is an opportunity to achieve that end. By helping defend the island from Feronax and whatever other forces are to come, you will demonstrate to the citizens and leaders of New Ganthar that Lord Martok was right all along, and that if New Ganthar is to side with either kingdom, it should be yours. While the dwarves may have spoken first, if you fight alongside New Ganthar's soldiers, your actions will speak the loudest."

Diplomacy: (1d20+29)[30]

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

Lord Morundar, Theo says with the even tone a commanding general would expect from a seasoned officer. We saw a great many of your forces from above when we neared the estate. I hear what you intend when you say we are a flea on a lion compared to you, nomatter what you do, your choice will likely determine the outcome of this war. I have but two things for you that I do hope you consider.

The first is that you mention that this ordeal was started by usurpers and theists. Let me clear the air, he refers to me. I am Father Theodore Roost, the High Priest and Anointed Champion of Charis. And if my involvement had anything to do with my faith and my Goddess, it is because it is I am called by Charis to defend the weak and innocent. Lord Martok as Chancellor had made mistakes leading to overtures of war with your enemies, and I acted in ways I thought lawful and appropriate to ensure that the stable peace we all desire be kept for the good of the common people. Those that replaced him are a career ambassador and a retired general, sharing the Chancellorship, and were elected democratically and in open session of Parliament. The intent was to show the dwarven leadership that New Ganthar was prepared to defend herself, but open to resuming peace. My fellow here has explained the incident that you see as a garrison from Kharheim; we have been trying to avert a war and preserve peace. And if Kharheim had invaded, this wouldn't be a minor affair for you, your hand would have been forced into open war with the dwarven host entrenched in to the strategic position. If I acted too deliberately, it was to avoid the horrific cost of an avoidable war.

The second, you said that defending the island is what our honor dictates, but not yours. I know what it is like to command men, and to have to make the cold calculus of deciding where to deploy soldiers, knowing that your choice will lead many to die. You do not want to use your soldiers and supplies to no fruitful end. I see the fact in that, and it is true you are going to lose fewer soldiers by waiting out the fight with Feron and overrunning whatever remains. But I ask you; if any of your soldiers are to be put in harm's way for any cause, would you not see them fight on the side of honor? Yes, it is our duty to defend our island from an invader, they are not what you are here for. I am. Martok, your ally, has issue with me. So instead of the honor of Brother Niall or others in this room, let me appeal to yours.

When this ordeal with Feron is over, if I return from the fight alive, I will peacefully turn myself over to your honorable inquisition as assurance that our government will return to the conditions dictated by treaty. Give the Crown the opportunity to rectify itself to you, and your honor untarnished. Lord Martok's claim, as Gunn had said, is a civil matter, allow the Crown to deal with it civilly and internally. I will prove to you that my intent was just, my actions justified.

Mr Gunn and I came here to negotiate a temporary peace and alliance to face the armies of Feron and in the interest of restoring the former conditions enjoyed under the treaty. Lord Morundor, you came here to restore and enforce the treaties as negotiated. I will submit myself to just inquisition. Now, on behalf of Prince Amdel, the rightful ruler of the People of Ganthar, we ask you; is this enough assurance to give you pause, to consider our request to supplement our armies and come to our aid?
    He says, looking directly at the elven commander and ignoring the former Chancellor's stares. Theo was serious, if he need stand trial and face inquiry into what he had done to start this chain of events, then he would. Peace and safety for the poor and weak was more than worth it; and Theo's conscience was clear, he knew Charis would not approve of Theo had he not been just in his heart and mind.

Diplomacy - (1d20+14)[30]
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Morundar listens with inscrutable intensity, first to Gunn's account of events, then to Theo's words.

When you have finished speaking, he allows the silence to lengthen. Martak starts to interject, but Morundar holds up a hand in a curt gesture to cut him off; startled, staring at the elf as though seeing him for the first time, the former Chancellor sits mutely, mouth hanging open.

When Morundar finally speaks, he addresses himself to Martak.

"It seems that you may have misrepresented yourself, human,"
    the mage observes in deceptively soft tones. "This talk of honour and religious duty is of no great interest to me - but if you were democratically removed from power, rather than the coup you portrayed, then we cannot justify military action on your behalf. And Elania takes most poorly to being deceived.

"Now, as this one points out, it is we who will be seen as breaching the treaty first, not the dwarves. An irksome situation, and one that must be remedied."

Martak goes by turns pale, and then flushed. "Will you take their word over mine?!" he demands. "I swear on my life, they had no grounds in the law of New Ganthar to remove me. Their government is a sham, founded on a lie, whose every action is in direct opposition to your country's interests!"

"What is the law?"
    Morundar muses, for all the world as though involved in an academic discussion. "It is what democratically elected rulers make of it. All else is mute obedience to tradition and precedent.

"And do not presume to tell me what is or is not best for my country."

He turns back to the two of you, beginning to speak, when Martak leaps up and starts yelling at him.

"How dare you?! Are you to quit the field at the first sign of resistance, like a common coward? Have you no sense of honour at all? We had a bargain, you vile witch!"

Morundar's eyes flash with real anger, his composure cracking, abruptly moved to violence.

Show
    If you want to intervene, roll initiative - you will need to beat 15 to act before Morundar. If you roll below that, you don't realise what is happening in time to interrupt - including by speaking.