Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233 LastLast
Results 871 to 900 of 971
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    "I would have to agree with you high priestess Martha. Theo and Perseus would not quit the field unless they believed another threat was looming elsewhere meaning something had to drive them towards the pillar if I had to guess." Sister Rosalind agrees, while Mr. Gunn was not a man of war he would be where he was needed most to inspire the most amount of people he could.

    Rushing with the others to see what was going on the priestess of the Lovers was not surprised something was happening at the pillar of divine energy, but what did catch her off guard was the intense white light coming from the tower as if something or someone was trying to control it or surround it so it could not escape. "This is not good, Martha if you can spare anyone I would send troops to the front lines, just to make sure no one dies. Stay away from the fighting to keep your people's vows. I don't want to be a part of this war just as much as you do but we both swore similar vows. To heal those we could so that they did not die." Rosalind says getting ready to say she would head to the pillar, even in her weakened state she could perhaps do something, even if it was only to distract the enemy. However when she turned and noticed Pran praying she knew she was already to late as she felt the familiar powers given to her each day begin to flood her body she tried to reach out to Pran but in a flash of light she was standing before the temple of Valacles. The place she needed to be, and with her powers back to normal she could help more then she planned, but at what cost. She could only hope Pran was alive and well as she took in the situation around her.

    Seeing the dragon and warriors Sister Rosalind lets her aura out to its full extent trying to force those who would do her harm to lay down their weapons unless attacked. However these were no ordinary people it seemed as four of them broke through her aura and charged at her. Thankfully while their minds were strong enough to resist her inital push against their defenses it seemed in their haste to attack her they scarified accuracy and none came close to her as she easily dodged out of the way of each swing, slapping the last away with her palm. "I insist you lay down your weapons now and surrender. This will not go the way you planned or were told, no one has to die or be hurt if you simply surrender." Rosalind says her aura lending wait to her words as it tried to sink into their minds.

    Spoiler: Aura of Peace
    Show
    Will DC 29 or all creatures in a 20ft radius are effected by calm emotions this is a continus effect that requires no action on her part

    If they resist and one of their weapons gets past her AC (29 before the -4 to their attack rolls) their weapons must pass a Fort DC 24 save or the weapon shatters against her skin.



    However where the first four failed the second four made a much better show of power as the priestess was doused in acid from three of her attackers. When the bombardment ends however the priestess of the Lovers looks as if only a small wind had blown her hair out of place how little the acid had effected her. "Don't forget I did ask you nicely." the priestess says as she watches Theo descend from the sky for another attack.

    As Ardaionn made his pass with the others above Sister Rosalind used the great eagle as a focus for the Lovers power and channeled through it their healing light so that it could reach all her allies who now looked as if they were fresh to the fight.

    Spoiler: Maximized Mass Cure Critical Wounds
    Show

    72 damage +40 temporary hit points, and remove the effects Dazed, Exhausted, Fatigued, Sickened, and Stunned from anyone suffering from them to all allies on the field, with a map it would be a little easier, but given they need to be within 30ft of a huge bird I'm decently sure everyone is covered.

  2. - Top - End - #872
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Yara pauses in the air as she tries to decide what to do. She couldn't bring herself to strike out at her countrymen, misdirected as they were. But the people of New Ganthar were her responsibility. And her protectors, it wouldn't end well for her if the Feronaxians broke through. She couldn't do nothing, though.

    Niall was right, attacking like this was a mistake. She'd have to change that. From its rear position, her psicrystal identifies a key part of the Feronaxian push. Through it, she channels her creative energies. A low cloud of ectoplasm, 100ft long, formed above the front lines. The ectoplasm started faint, growing more and more real, until it snapped into horrible reality. Feeding tendrils descended towards the combatants, tearing at their flesh. She didn't have the power to create more, she had to save it for Feronax. But it should slow the fight down.

    Spoiler: Ectoplasmic Shambler
    Show

    10 10ft cubes, shaped to extend along the front lines.
    Those within take 7 damage per turn. Sight restricted to 5ft when within, spells/powers need to make a DC15+Spell Level check if caster is in the cloud. Can be blown by winds of over 20mph.
    15 Minute duration at this level, full round to manifest so no progress towards Feronax.

  3. - Top - End - #873
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: Rosalind, Perseus, Gunn and Theo
    Show
    Evading the dragon's spell, Gunn sends his barrage of force to pummel Feronax's flank. The impact is considerable, and it is plain to see that it injures the mighty wyrm; but on the scale of this confrontation, it will take far more to win the day.

    Ardaionn comes in for another pass, and on his back, Theo and Lothrain strike at Feronax. Theo opens a substantial gash on the dragon's neck, holy fire burning away the blood even as it pours out; the Arbiter transforms as he approaches, skin taking on a metallic sheen and face elongating into something canine, before striking out with his flaming blade, channeling divine wrath into the strike. It is clear Lothrain is putting all his power behind the blow - and he is rewarded, the flaming blade finding a vulnerable point in the dragon's armour and biting into flesh. Still, by the standards of Theo or Perseus it is a shallow wound.

    Ember leaps from the eagle's side and rushes the Dragonscale Warriors who had held back to spit acid, the sword Theo gave her soon red with blood.

    Perseus strikes down a second manifester with ease, long practice and skill reducing the task to something little more than routine.

    Rosalind for her part speaks her message of peace to the warriors who assail her, giving them pause as they mill around in confusion. She then - to the dragon's visible chagrin - reverses the damage done to her allies so far.

    The Dragonscale Warriors not affected by Rosalind turn to the threat from a new quarter, surrounding Ember and dealing her a number of serious injuries.

    Sir Bard finally manages to contribute to the fight, a lucky arrow finding a joint in the dragon's scales. A minor injury, but at present you are forced to wear this foe down by attrition.

    The last manifester makes what must surely be a last attempt to dispel the magic constraining Feronax - and the skein of sorcery parts at last, freeing the wyrm to unleash his full fury against you.

    It is Theo who feels the self-proclaimed god's wrath first. With terrifying speed, the wyrm soars across the intervening distance; a flicker of magic flows over his jaws, transforming his sword-like teeth to be translucent, spectral - but all the more deadly for being less substantial. The same change seems to affect the wyrm's talons, wingtip and tail - in short, every part of him that might be used as a weapon. Those jaws then close around Theo, seizing him and making ready to drag him from Ardaionn's back.

    Spoiler: Wraithstrike bite attack
    Show
    Melee touch attack: 26 vs touch AC for 52 damage. It also attempts to snatch Theo: grapple check result 72.

  4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    As the black dragon she could only assume to be Feronax assaulted Theo forcing him to use one of his powers to escape its grapple the priestess of the Lovers called out in the celestial tongue the words of power needed to bind this creature to the ground. Each golden link spurting forth from the ground as tall as a man as the links slowly tie around the dragons legs and wings before at last trying to tie his neck down to the ground. "False god, pretender, in the name of the Lover's I bind you here so that you may once more you will face the punishment of the true gods for trying to claim what is not yours!" as she finishes speaking the chains tighten around the dragon trying to crush him into submission.

    Spoiler: Constricting Chains
    Show

    The creature is entangled, taking a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to effective Dexterity. Moreover, the chains are anchored to the nearest immobile object (usually the floor), preventing the bound creature from moving. An entangled creature attempting to cast a spell must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell.

    He takes (3d6)[14] non lethal damage

    The constricting chains have AC 20, 5 hp per caster level (maximum 100 hp), and damage reduction 10/magic. They are immune to energy-based attacks, nonlethal damage, and all spells except dispel magic and similar effects. They are not subject to critical hits. Half of all damage dealt to the chains (rounded down) is transferred to the target.

    A successful DC 32 Strength check breaks the chains and ends the spell. An entangled creature can also attempt to escape (requiring 1 minute) with a DC 40 Escape Artist check.

    Rosalind takes (1d2)[1] str damage


    As the chains hold the false god down Rosalind reaches out across time and space to allow Kirest's light spread through Ember once more. As this happens most of her wounds close once more and she is filled with renewed vigor. "Ember if you can make it to me we can do as we trained, just you with your sword." the priestess says dropping into a defensive stance, her palms out with her thumb in, ready to strike at anyone who dared attack her.

    Spoiler: Immediate Action
    Show
    Move towards Ember (closing the distance if possible and fighting back to back) and using Close wounds on her.

    (1d4+11)[15] +40temp +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects,

  5. - Top - End - #875
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Strike now! He ordered Lothrain before they moved to creat distance for a moment. Theo struck again, with a jarring hit he hoped would power through the defenses of Feronax, before guiding Ardaionn away to set up another charge.
    Spoiler: he attack
    Show

    Foehammer for hammertime. Ignores DR and +2d6.
    Attack - (1d20+29)[40]
    Crit - (1d20+29)[41]

    Damage - (12d6+11)[60]
    Crit - (5d6+11)[30]

    Also I forgot that for hitting my last strike I had DR 10/- for the round, so my hp will be corrected.

    Ride to prevent the aoo, which seems unlikely to beat his attack roll - (1d20+15)[28]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  6. - Top - End - #876
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Perseus takes advantage of the opportunity to strike at Feronax in his more vulnerable (though still quite powerful) condition, charging into the fray, while Gunn, seeing that Rosalind has distracted the dragon, reaches out telepathically to the remaining manifester in an attempt to subjugate them to his will.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perseus:

    (1d20+28)[45], (1d10+39)[48]+(5d6)[14]
    (1d20+28)[32], (1d10+39)[46]+(5d6)[21]
    (1d20+23)[43], (1d10+39)[48]+(5d6)[13]
    (1d20+18)[23], (1d10+39)[40]+(5d6)[20]

    Gunn:

    Dominate, Will DC 30, 24 hour duration, vs the remaining manifester.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Feronax reacts with predictable indignation and rage at being chained by Rosalind. As he strains against the bonds, he takes another deep wound from Theo, this time to his face; in retaliation he sinks his massive fangs into the Champion of Charis once more.

    Spoiler: Bite Attack of Opportunity
    Show
    Natural 20 to hit. Confirms critical (assuming 50 hits!). 41 damage.


    Perseus swoops into the attack, landing two solid but not critical blows. Lothrain, dropping from the eagle, likewise charges into the fray; he again calls out Relath's name and channels holy power through the blade, but his sword finds only unyielding scales.

    Ember, now back-to-back with Rosalind, starts to hold her own with the enemy warriors. She takes one down, her blade finding his exposed neck and opening his throat; but the others press her closely, seeming to have learned not to target Rosalind and instead focusing on the less thoroughly protected paladin.

    An arrow from Sir Bard strikes down another Dragonscale Warrior, reducing their number to six.

    The last manifester falls under Gunn's sway, looking confused as his mental landscape is reconstructed to show Gunn as an ally.

    Feronax roars, loudly enough to rattle nearby windows. "I will not be restrained! I will not be denied! Fall before me, insects!"

    He gapes wide his mouth once more, and foul acid streams out towards Theo, Bard and Ardaionn.

    Spoiler: Acid breath weapon
    Show
    57 acid damage, Reflex DC 34 for half.


    Sir Bard gasps in agony, close to death, but clings grimly to his bow, determined not to fall yet.

    Feronax for his part, it seems, is not easily chained. He vanishes from sight, the chains falling away in a disheartening echo of the demon's earlier tactic.

    Yara finally reaches the point where she can see the conflict, although it is still out of reach of all but the farthest-ranging powers.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yara renters the fight at a range of 500'

  8. - Top - End - #878
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Seeing Feronax disappear, Gunn casts Invisibility on himself as a precaution before ascending another 90 feet. While doing so, he reaches out telepathically to his new "ally" and commands them to Protect New Ganthar. Once that command is issued, he attempts to use his telepathy to understand what the manifester is capable of.

    Perseus, absent a target to attack, charges the nearest Dragonscale Warrior.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Perseus:

    (1d20+28)[34], (1d10+39)[41]+(5d6)[20]
    (1d20+28)[44], (1d10+39)[47]+(5d6)[16]
    (1d20+23)[37], (1d10+39)[40]+(5d6)[26]
    (1d20+18)[30], (1d10+39)[44]+(5d6)[21]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-06-21 at 05:23 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Sister Rosalind watches as the titanic dragon and Theo atop his majestic giant eagle Ardaionn clashed once more as Theo tried to escape however in their escape it created an opening which the blasphemous creature eagerly took to try and down Charis's champion and its rider, before lashing out with its breath weapon at the end. "It seems Theo thinks I can keep this up all day, what was his plan if I didn't show up? Because in truth its only thanks to Pran and the Lover's that I am here and in this capacity, I was facing off against a demon earlier at my own temple." she tells Ember as she tries notices the people focusing only on Ember. "Want to switch spots or find a choke point so we can keep you a bit safer. from all these people trying to hurt you?" the priestess of the Lovers asks, moving if Ember agrees to place herself between Ember and any incoming attacks.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Basically asking Ember if she wants to move to a better tactical spot and moving with her if so


    Before moving she calls out to the Lovers once more, asking Kirest to shine his light just a little more brightly on Ardaionn and all those near so that they would not fall to this false god and his followers.

    Spoiler: Maximized Cure Light Wounds
    Show
    36hp and 40 temp to everyone within 30ft of ardaionn that is an Ally in Rosalind's eyes

  10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Seeing Feronax vanish, Yara braces for trouble. She was alone and relatively weak. He could appear from anywhere.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Move action to move closer.
    Preparing Dimension Door if she realises that she is being targeted by an attack or spell.
    If triggered, moves to a spot with cover against all attackers but within medium range of the fight.
    Eg, behind a wall that she can just fly over next turn.

  11. - Top - End - #881
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    You may save your speculation; we are being invaded and Feronax only just showed himself. Duty demands that the Champion fight until he or his enemy draws a final breath. Father Roost takes command from Charis, and shares Her Wisdom as he considers necessary.

    Ember accepts the proposition from Rosalind to switch places for an advantageous positioning and continues her attack near Perseus.

    For his part, Theo felt Rosalind's empowered healing as Feronax escaped. There was no chance that he left to bide his time to strike another day. His army remained, his target remained close... Feronax didn't leave the island, of this he was certain. Stay vigilant, now is the time to cast something protective. He told his allies still atop his eagle. Theo cast Eagle's Splendor as Ardaionn circled the energy pillar and climbed into the air, searching for wear his foe might be hiding.

    Spot - (1d20+24)[42]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Ember throws Rosalind a half smile, all she can spare attention for as she fights to hold off the Dragonscale Warriors. "Sometimes, we are not given the luxury of time to plan, or to face our enemies in a time or place of our choosing. Father Theo stands between this foul wyrm and divinity. I am proud to be in that fight with him - whether we win or die trying. But I'm honestly glad you showed up - it makes winning seem a whole lot more likely!"

    Ducking a horizontal swipe that comes close to taking her head from her shoulders, Ember is off-balance when another of the enemy soldiers lunges for her - but Perseus comes out of nowhere, severing the warrior's outstretched arm before taking his life with a series of blows into his centre of mass. Without time to do more than gasp out a "Thanks!" , Ember recovers her footing and nods towards a side street.

    "There. It's narrow enough that two people, side by side, could hold it and restrict the numbers that can come at us."


    She suits action to words, cautiously withdrawing to the indicated street, a pace back from the entrance so the enemy had to come at her in pairs, trusting Rosalind - and perhaps Perseus, given time - to follow.

    Two of the warriors pursue Ember and Rosalind, although focusing their attacks on the former. A third pauses, focuses, and expands abruptly to the size of an ogre, enabling him to reach over his fellows and still engage the beleaguered paladin. The remaining four focus on Perseus.

    Spoiler: Attacks
    Show
    22 vs AC for 12 damage
    26 vs AC for 14 damage
    Hit (nat 20), confirm roll: 36, damage 12 (+10 if critical)
    36 vs AC for 12 damage.


    Lothrain turns at the dragon's disappearance, calling down a column of fire to strike at the gathered Dragonscale Warriors. One, already injured by Ember, falls lifeless to the ground; the rest endure the torment of charred, smoking flesh with greater or lesser degrees of stoicism, but keep fighting.

    With a roar to rattle the teeth in your skulls, Feronax reappears in the air above the battleground. He focuses his attention on Rosalind, seemingly reasoning he needs to take out your healer before focusing on the rest of you. He lands on the buildings nearest her, straddling the narrow street Ember has chosen as a shelter, claws crushing masonry as he lands. His head flashes into view, dominating Rosalind's field of vision, jaws gaping, its acrid stench assailing her senses.

    Spoiler: Bite attack (power attack)
    Show
    31 vs AC for 45 damage.

  13. - Top - End - #883
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Gunn communicates telepathically with the manifester. Destroy the Dragonscale Warriors., he commands. He shares this information with Perseus telepathically as well, advising, Wait and see if our new friend can handle the warriors around you. If not, continue as planned, regardless. The stalwart defender of New Ganthar (and occasional criminal overlord) valiantly and selflessly casts another Targeting Ray at Feronax, bolstering the attacks of his allies, singing his song to bolster his arcane assault.

    Perseus nods, and delays long enough for the manifester to act, but whether he exposes himself to attacks or not, will charge Feronax. Their gambit depends on this dragons demise, regardless of the philosophical arguments between the two clergy--which, to his dwarven ken, seem futile. Both are so committed to their respective divinities that anything more than collegiality seems impossible. Rather than considering the hubris of either and each, he charges Feronax, unconcerned with how vulnerable he becomes, confident in his ancestors' protection and moreover, his brother Gunn's extensive resources and the promise of resurrection.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Gunn Targeting Ray (ranged touch, SR):(1d20+14)[33], (1d20+21)[29] if succesful, add +6 to all attacks against Feronax (including Perseus's).

    Perseus:

    (1d20+28)[41], (1d10+39)[45]
    (1d20+28)[44], (1d10+39)[41]
    (1d20+23)[32], (1d10+39)[45]
    (1d20+18)[31], (1d10+39)[49]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  14. - Top - End - #884
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo turns at the sound, and sees Feronax has returned and threatens Rosalind and Ember with it's terrifying array of natural weaponry. Tooth and claw, tail and wing, this fearsome dragon would be the end of his comrades without swift intervention.
    He points at their foe with the Sword of Tariel, who hath slain Feronax once before, and shouts with the challenging cry of a warrior.

    Ardaionn and took the call from his master, and dove at the foul dragon, attempting the same maneuver to strike and move.

    Spoiler: Theo's attack
    Show
    Ok, using Divine fury for +4 to hit and +1d10 to damage. Gunn gave an additional +6, so I'm at +39. I will use War Leader's Charge and also will have flanking with Ember, so I will get +2d6 sneak attack and +35 damage with no AoO. I also get +5d6 fire from Gunn. Spirited charge doubles damage.

    Attack (1d20+39)[55]
    confirm (1d20)[15]
    Damage (14d6+46)[93] plus (1d10)[10] doubled = 206
    confirmed adds (5d6+46)[67] doubled =
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-06-24 at 08:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: If Feronax hits Rosalind
    Show
    As the great black dragon appears once more in the sky Rosalind curses as she notices how close it is to her and Ember having no doubt in her mind who the dragons target would be she pushes Ember out of the way as the Dragon comes to bite at her, trusting in her own powers to be able to escape it's mighty maw no matter what tricks it would try.

    Teeth the size of dagger's pierce the priestess skin, however thanks to all of her magical healing the wounds only left small holes in her flesh, though they did cover her from left shoulder down to her right thigh. "So the false god does know how to strike, but one thing you forget." she says bleeding onto the ground from her many bite wounds. "God's don't bleed." and with that she watches as Gunn, blast a ray at the foul dragon as Perseus and Theo both charge it from opposite directions. Not trusting that the beast would stay down but seeing no one in immediate danger the priestess of the Lover's calls forth a servant of the Lover's to come and keep these holy warriors alive so that they could protect the people of New Ganther and stop all of this needless bloodshed.

    Spoiler: Action
    Show
    Casting Healing Spirit defensively auto pass
    4th Level spell conjured in the same square as Rosalind to booster her resolve and heals her (1d8+10)[13] +40 temp hp So his attack did nothing....literally. Healing spirit lasts for 8 rounds


    As she finishes her prayer to the Lovers a small firefly like spirit appears besides Rosalind and while the holes remain in her clothing from where the fangs of Feronax bite her, the wounds themselves were completely healed over, showing no sign besides scar tissue that there was even a wound.


    Spoiler: If Feronax fails to hit Rosalind (due to the whole -4 to attack rolls)
    Show

    Rosalind watches as if in slow motion as the terrible monster known as Feronax descended upon her from the sky, his mighty jaws slowly closing in on her as he tried to finish her off. However it was a predictable attack she had seen coming and at the last second the priestess of the lovers stepped to the side before retaliating by placing one of her hands on the beasts snout, small crystals taking route where she had touched. Pretender you have already escaped one justice served to you and try to steal the mantle of another for retribution! The Lover's stood idly by once before when another such as yourself choose to act in such a way and because of that death was tarnished and the soul bridge destroyed. We will not let that happen again." the priestess says to the mighty dragon.

    As she says this all of her allies strike in union at the great beast, dealing what would be fatal wounds to a typical mortal but not per say to a dragon. "Surrender now, give in to the Will of the Lover's and face the Justice Charis sentenced you to in the past or refuse and I will not be able to stop Justice from making sure your punishment fits your crime. And by the way, get a breath mint. Rosalind states, making it clear to Feronax that he would not succeed in becoming a god, the Lover's and thus her would stop him before he ever got a single claw on it.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Swift Assay Spell Resistance +10 to CL checks to overcome SR
    Ready Action Righteous Hammer (16d6)[57] non lethal damage if he tries to go for the pillar again

    (just joking she will use healing spirit still incase he tries to attack everyone and kill us all. Keeping it between her and Ember so it could heal Ember the amount marked above hopefully bringing her to full)

  16. - Top - End - #886
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Yara sees Feronax reappear. Her ex-deity was an impressive sight. It was almost a shame that he had to die. The dragon god of knowledge would have been able to offer so much to the world if it hadn't grown so power hungry. Though, perhaps it always was. She found it hard to have a solid opinion on Feronax, her past reverence and ignorance mixing with her current knowledge resulted only in confusion.
    The sight of Theo reminded her of what she had read in the temple library. A past champion of Charis had slain Feronax in the past. Who even was the being she saw before her? The original resurrected would be the simplest guess, but how did this tie into the history she was taught as a child? She know knew quite a lot of it was false, but this just left her with gaping holes in her knowledge of the world.

    Too far from the battle to reach it with her powers, she teleports closer. Appearing on a distant rooftop, she surveys the battlefield, planning her next move in the downfall of her god.
    (Dimension door to get within 250ft of everyone)

  17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    The manifester struggles against Gunn, reluctant to imperil its allies - but obeys, turning its powers on one of the warriors. The warrior stumbles, blood suddenly streaming from his nose, and his eyes roll back in his head before he collapses lifeless to the ground.

    Perseus risks the gauntlet he must run to reach Feronax. He exposes himself to the surviving warriors, trusting in the strength of his armour and his own fortitude to see him through.

    Spoiler: Attacks of opportunity
    Show
    20 vs AC for 10 damage
    19 vs AC for 11 damage
    27 vs AC for 13 damage


    Feronax spots the threat, and his massive jaws dart out to strike at the Ironshield barbarian.

    Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity
    Show
    48 vs AC for 27 damage


    Perseus barrels on regardless, axe shining in the light of Rosalind’s aura, proving once more his warrior courage and skill. The wyrm rears up, an enormous fang flying through the air, a trail of blood behind it.

    And Theo sees his moment - sees the beast’s throat exposed. Perhaps not a vulnerable spot by most standards; barely any less resilient than the rest of its hide. But he wields the Sword of Tariel; carries the blessings of Charis; and has skill far beyond most men. He knows it will be enough.

    Theo hurtles through the air, blade outstretched, ready to skewer his foe. There is no possible way the dragon can move in time to prevent it.

    Then, impossibly, it moves.

    Time seems to slow for the rest of you, while the dragon accelerates. Its mouth comes into line with Theo, slick, foul acid pouring out in a great torrent.

    Spoiler: Celerity Acid Breath Weapon
    Show
    Theo, Ardaionn and Bard take 52 acid damage, Reflex DC 34 for half.

    I don’t think that’s enough to stop Theo either way, so will proceed on the assumption he survives.


    Theo grits his teeth against the agony, as his flesh writhes and melts, his eyes seared and tortured; he pushes on against the force of the dragon’s breath, until at last he slams the holy blade into the roof of the dragon’s gaping mouth.

    The ancient wyrm roars and writhes, eyes ablaze with holy fire as the Sword consumes him from within. The Dragonscale Warriors give a cry of horror and despair at the sight of their deity mortally wounded; then, with a crescendo of noise like an avalanche, the great dragon falls from the rooftop and crashes into the street below.

    Feebly, Feronax turns his ruined gaze to Yara.

    Spoiler: Yara only
    Show
    You hear the former object of your veneration speak into your mind one last time.

    “Stupid, wilful child. I raised you up from nothing, gave you everything you are. And this is how you repay me? Then you will soon learn your folly. If I cannot have this power, another will claim it - one far more terrible than I.”


    He lives long enough to hear any reply you care to make, and then:


    With a shudder, the mighty dragon rasps out his final breath, and falls still.

    Spoiler: Experience
    Show
    9,000xp each.


    The sight robs the remaining Dragonscale Warriors of any fighting spirit they might have retained; they fall to their knees, or stand bereft, most weeping at the sight they thought impossible: the death of one they believed immortal.

    It is a significant moment, not least for Yara, but coming to terms with it may have to wait.

    For the chains of unholy fire that had been conjured around the pillar of blood are gone.

    And so is the pillar itself.

  18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    As Theo gives the final blow to the false god Feronax Rosalind sends forth her spirit to Heal Perseus as she made her way over to the warriors. "This war is over, please surrender peacefully no one else has to die this day." she says to them as a whole hoping with the loss of what they thought to be a god happening right before them they would easily accept the terms of surrender. Then again if they were like Hesa no doubt this would only throw them into a rage and make them fight harder somehow.

    Turning around to tend to Theo and the others Rosalind curses as she sees the pillar and unholy fire gone. "Gunn Theo please tell me that one of you is in contact with the devil woman inside." Rosalind says before rushing into the temple and heading to where the previous main altar was in the hopes it would bee roughly the same layout, either they had been double crossed or led to believe the great wyrm was the biggest threat and the true evil had snuck in under their noses.

  19. - Top - End - #889
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo is awash in the acidic breath of the dragon Feronax, but the weight of it's foul head slumps into Theo's body as Ardaionn pulls him away. With a glance back at the docks and the remaining fight, Theo guides Ardaionn to land and return to the rest of the team. The body is to be destroyed. Feronax has been slain before and here he lays again. Let us send his remains to the unknown and never fear he return.

    As Rosalind rushes onward, Theo holds up his hand; Natalia is my colleague and ally, and it looks like the pillar disappeared with the life force of Feronax. But before you barge in I pray you wait for her to let down her wards.

    But do check in on her
    ; Theo suggests to Gunn.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  20. - Top - End - #890
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Without thought for power expenditure, Yara vanishes from the roof top and reappears before Feronax's. Reaching out a hand, she lays it on the beast's head. Her body visibly shifts, the hints of scales beneath her skin darkening and expanding and her fingernails grew longer and sharper.
    Before her was the dying god. Feronax had been a constant presence in her life. From her childhood at her home temple to her running off to spread his word to learning how badly he had betrayed her. She'd lived in fear of their eventual meeting, especially after her apostacy. But in watching this ancient creature die, Yara couldn't feel fear, nor even anger.
    "Goodbye," was all she said before he died.

    With her confused and muted emotional state, the disappearance of the pillar caused only mere annoyance. Oh, of course. Now I've got to deal with both the ongoing battle and now this!

    She turns to the remaining Dragonscale Warriors.
    "I was the bride of Feronax and now I'm his widow. Return to your ships, I'm going to end this war."

    "I will deal with the body," she tells Theo. "I won't let anyone else touch it."

    With that, she reaches out to her psicrystal to see how the battle was progressing.

  21. - Top - End - #891
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Gunn lands next to Yara, breaking his invisibility, and places a hand of comfort on her shoulder. While the rest of the party felt the triumph of victory, he knew she had to be conflicted. He says nothing, only offering his silent support for what must be an emotional time. Seeing the nobility of the purpose she sets herself to, he is reminded of who she was when they first met, and how far she has come, and admires her strength and her growth.

    But, now is not the time for reflection. Reaching out telepathically to Natalia, he says, Feronax is dead, and Rosalind is coming in hot, offering the priestess what little warning he can as Rosalind speeds away. He follows her inside, hurrying to catch up to her, while Perseus remains outside with Yara and Theo to offer what assistance he can.

    Almost as an afterthought, he commands his subjugated manifester to follow him inside.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-06-25 at 08:47 PM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    There is a pause of perhaps twenty seconds before you receive Natalia's answer, and the defensive wards come down.

    "I appreciate the warning. Her reputation is as much for being judgmental as diplomatic; I hope for the latter, but am prepared for the former."


    The warriors of Feron are in no state to put up any kind of fight. They do not so much as acknowledge Rosalind's call for surrender, but nor do they resist as Lothrain and Ember set about disarming them.

    The potent defences of the Temple come down with word of the dragon's death, and - with Rosalind in the lead - you hasten inside to see what has occurred.

    Natalia stands just inside the doorway, by the arcane sigil you know from experience controls the defensive ward. She looks weary, and raises her right hand in greeting - looking mildly surprised as Rosalind dashes past her into the room that housed the pillar.

    When last you were here, Shroud had drawn complex arcane sigils around the room, sculpting the flows of magic to centre on the pillar, a circle of six plinths, and a focal point that had held his doppelganger. Those symbols are still present, as are the plinths, but the column of blood has vanished.

    Four of the plinths carry what appear to be relics of some kind - a dagger; a shield; an amulet; and a cloak. Each appears badly burned and damaged, perhaps irreparably. There is a lingering sense of magic in the air, a prickling of the skin, a scent of brimstone and ozone in the air. Glinting on the ground is a twisted, partially melted silver object: the remnants of a holy symbol of Dalvar. It is sitting within the focal point of the arcane design, where Shroud's facsimile had been placed last time you were here.

    One man is in the room already, face red and glistening with sweat as though from a great exertion: Elder Abrogar, archmage and leader of the Council of the Arcane Fellowship. He is seated on the ground with one knee drawn up to his chest, and greets you with a half-hearted wave of the hand.

    Natalia walks in behind Rosalind and any others who accompanied her, smiling wearily.

    "No, by all means, come on in,"
    she says wryly, "make yourselves at home.

    "Well, I gather you successfully slew the dragon that would be a god. It appears congratulations are in order. Well done. You hit the problem repeatedly until it went away.

    "Now, no doubt you have questions about what has occurred here? How tiresome. Well, shall we take them to a room with a more structurally sound ceiling? I don't think we are in imminent danger of it collapsing, but as you can see, the damage is extensive and none of my labourers were willing to inspect it while that rift was open."

  23. - Top - End - #893
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo reflects for a minute while watching Yara mourn and nods. Aye. See to it that no one does. Not one scale or eyelash can remain to fall into enemy hands. He says, allowing Yara the latitude to feel whatever she must. It was a complicated time for her, Theo knew, and nothing he could say would be helpful. He gives Ember the order to take Ardaionn and report to the Templars when they have finished disarming their captured for, then return, and follows Rosalind in.

    Yes, he says to Natalia. We hit the dragon very hard with many sharp pointy things until he breathed his last. But there is still much to do, and I do agree that we should hasten to a room befit receiving company.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2019-06-26 at 08:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  24. - Top - End - #894
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Yara's mind reels between reflection and action. The fight on the bay was going badly for New Ganthar, her energy pillar was gone. She couldn't give this time the ceremony it needed.

    Yara's psicrystal alerts the Prince and his advisors, which it hovered near.
    "Feronax is dead," she projects through it. "I'm going to end this. If I can get them to stop, remember to show mercy and restraint."
    With that said, the crystal vanishes. It appears behind enemy lines and flies towards what most appears to be the command ship. Presumably it would locate the commanders. And possibly the high priest, Yara thought with some dread. It had been years since she spoke with her dad.

    Back at Feronax's body, Yara waits for those that go to go. She gathers up the scraps of Feronax that were knocked off in the fight. Starting with the fang knocked off by Perseus, she moves about the body. When obscured by the corpse, she carefully slips it into her bag.
    The remainder of the pieces are placed upon the body.

    Standing before the corpse, she chants a quick prayer. At its end, the body collapses into dust. With that done, she hurries into the temple. Her pillar had been taken by the powers of the hells, Natalia likely had something to answer for.

    Spoiler: Powers Used
    Show

    Dimension Door: On Psicrystal
    Disintegrate: On Feronax

  25. - Top - End - #895
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Gunn considers his options. On the one hand, returning to the field of battle would likely ensure that New Ganthar successfully repelled the invaders. This would further cement his reputation as a savior of the city, supporting his pursuit of noble titles. However, without an occupation, his stockpiles of food would be wasted, with no increased demand to drive up the price. That could be offset by whatever rewards would be offered for his services on the field of battle, however, and he could view the gambit as insurance, rather than intention. On the other hand, remaining here would provide him valuable information about what had transpired, and that information would surely be inherently worthwhile. His presence might act as a neutralizing one in avoiding hostility between the diametrically opposing viewpoints held by Rosalind and Natalia. After a moment's consideration, he opts to remain here, but not without reminding all parties of the haste required in their discussions. "There is still a war to fight," he says. "Wherever we speak, let us do it quickly." He looks at Natalia. "Whatever happened, I'm glad we're all here to talk about it."

    Then he communicates telepathically with his dominated manifester. Answer my questions honestly. What is your name? How much psionic power do you have remaining? What effects are you able to manifest? Specifically, can you still teleport, and how many can you bring with you? Prove your value to me, and I can offer you a more comfortable life, with power and responsibility under my employ, in contrast to the choice between death and captivity that will be offered others of your former occupation. I bear no ill will toward you, and you will no doubt find me a more reasonable master than Feronax. (Diplomacy to Improve Attitude: (1d20+31)[34]; Eternal Charm DC 25). Gunn's intention is to facilitate a positive relationship with the person, so that once the domination wears off, he can continue to rely on the individual in situations to come.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2019-06-26 at 09:15 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  26. - Top - End - #896
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    "I'll wait Theo, but not long something happened to that pillar, the divine power of a deity and we have way to many enemies to assume that it vanished when he died and someone didn't sneak in and attack her and steal the power for themselves or...." she trails off, learning from her time with the dwarves not to accuse anyone of anything without proof, and all she had at the moment was speculation.

    As Rosalind sees Natalia at the doorway, the wards lowered none the worst for ware besides what power it took to power the wards she looks inward for a moment before saying. "It is good to see you are unharmed in all this fighting Priestess Natalia, however the pillar you were guarding seems to be missing. If you don't mind I'm going to the ritual room." she says, not waiting for the woman to deny her, and if she tried it would only further her speculation that she was hiding something.

    As she enters the room where the ritual where Shrouds doppleganger had stood she notices immediately that the arcane symbols were still there as were the plinths, four of which held some sort of relic upon them, badly damaged much as the chalice of Realth had been. Turning towards Theo and the others she points to the shield that was all but destroyed, telling them what it was and what she was aware rumors stated it was capable of. As she picked up the badly damaged holy symbol of Dalvar as if it were a child in her arms. Looking at the archmage and Natalia Rosalind was only holding back her rage at this point for Theo and the others. "What did you do." she says in a low voice, its apparent to all in the room that Rosalind for the first time ever is close to being actually angry.

    As the two agree to tell them what they did Rosalind follows behind Theo still holding the holy symbol of Dalvar, no relic should be treated like this it was a crime. Only the most evil of items should be destroyed and even then carefully, this was sacrilege in her eyes on a grand scale and she did not trust her own voice at this moment not to put Theo and Gunn in a difficult situation with Natalia and the archmage.

    Spoiler: Doubtful if it will help but
    Show

    Spellcraft (1d20+1)[11]
    Religion on Dagger (1d20+21)[25]
    Religion on Amulet (unless it was the thing of Dalvar which I doubt she would get more from) (1d20+21)[36]
    Religion on cloak (1d20+21)[40]
    Spellcraft for each of these as well (1d20+1)[9] (1d20+1)[10] (1d20+1)[5]

  27. - Top - End - #897
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    "Fester… Manuel Fester," the psion introduces himself. "My specialism is psychoportation. Of the two dozen powers at my disposal, the most powerful are Banishment, Breath of the Black Dragon, and Plane Shift.

    "After the power I have already expended today, I could manifest Teleport twice, and then would be able to manage only the most minor powers until I get a chance to rest."


    The Eternal Charm takes effect, the psion's confused mind unable to resist as you warp his perceptions of reality and install yourself as a trusted ally and confidante.


    Spoiler: Rosalind's checks
    Show
    Too little remains of the amulet or the dagger to identify them, but something about the half-melted clasp of the cloak triggers a stray memory. You have an intuition that this might have been the Eclipse Cloak, most infamously worn by an assassin skilled in the arcane arts known as Galthoran. Legend has it that the Eclipse Cloak greatly enhanced its wearer's death magic.


    Natalia leads you back through her temple, through the hall of worship at its centre, and into a side room - a room filled with comfortable furniture, with a table in the middle covered with plates of fresh fruit, pitchers of water, and bottles of expensive wine. It is, you realise, the same room that the goristro demon emerged from when this was a temple to Maltur; Natalia seems to have transformed it into a sitting room to meet with guests. That the food could be so fresh is a clear indicator of magic at work - unless she somehow anticipated this meeting and planned accordingly.

    She reaches for one of the bottles of red wine, left-handed, and snatches her hand back with a grimace. Looking irritably at the palm of her hand, she channels healing magic briefly before resuming her duties as a hostess.

    She pours a glass of wine each for Gunn and Abrogar, and of water for Rosalind. From a sideboard she produces a large mug and a silver cafetiere, which fills itself with hot coffee as you watch. The delicious aroma fills the room as she pours it into the mug, offering it to Theo. With a questioning glance at Yara, she gestures to the various options, waiting to see which - if any - the psion prefers before serving her.

    Provision made for her guests, she seats herself in a high-backed chair with a glass of the same wine she offered Gunn, folding her legs up and sitting nonchalantly, composed and confident. Abrogar chooses the most comfortable-looking armchair and sinks gratefully into it, summoning his glass to his hand with a wave and a cantrip, fatigue radiating from him.

    The priestess lets you settle yourselves as you prefer, then starts to speak.

    "What did I do?"
    she begins, echoing Rosalind's nearly angry demand. "Merely what was necessary.

    "I make no apologies for being who and what I am. But if you think I sought profit in this, you are mistaken.

    "Feronax sought to seize the power of Dalvar for himself, or perhaps in conspiracy with the forces of Maltur and Vlarath. Even shared three ways, such power would disrupt the balance of the cosmos. It was plain that could not be allowed. It was also, you may know, a condition of my being granted this building that I do something about the interplanar rift at its heart spilling divine power into this reality.

    "We are fortunate that you were able to overcome Feronax in battle. I had no way of knowing whether you would prevail, and regardless, the rift was a continuing and real threat to this nation and to the wider cosmos.

    "I have for some time been researching methods of closing the rift, and in that have been indebted to Elder Abrogar for his expertise. The ritual Shroud attempted was our starting point, given its proven ability to affect the rift; but the components of that ritual were controlled by a diverse group with no likely consensus on what should be done with Dalvar's power. Trying to deal with them would be counter-productive.

    "So we needed alternatives - objects capable of fulfilling the same role in the ritual, and which we could lay our hands on. By the time Feronax arrived on this island, we had secured four. Enough to attempt the ritual - not enough to be certain of success. But my duty was clear.

    "Now, as you can see, the ritual succeeded. The rift was closed. But the threat has not gone away. Not completely.

    "The ritual operates by transferring divine energy. The safest method to close the rift, given the number of components available, was to return that energy to its source - to Dalvar, or rather, to the plane where His divine energy is held until a new god takes it up. But that means the ritual could still be completed if the caster could get to that plane.

    "So now we have a problem, do we not? We know it is possible to perform the ritual without the original components, given appropriate substitutes. It may even be possible with no components at all - certainly Feronax seemed to be carrying nothing. The danger will still exist, whatever we do, unless Dalvar's power is safely transferred to a new vessel. And the components I had painstakingly scavenged were destroyed in the casting.

    "Follow the chain of reasoning, and you will see where it takes us."


    Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    The psicrystal slips through space effortlessly to arrive in the midst of Feron's army. You see that the defenders have managed to regain the dockside; they now have the army of Feron spread across the frozen harbour, fighting on all fronts, but confident with their advantage of numbers. Perhaps a fifth of each force has been slain.

    The mages, you realise, are still concentrating on the group spell they cast to turn the water to ice. Their absence must have exacerbated the disadvantage New Ganthar was suffering.

    Any opportunity you might have had to speculate on Rithelm's strategy is cut short. For your psicrystal spots your father, the High Priest of Feronax, standing on the prow of the largest ship and barking orders for a psion beside him to relay to the commanders of the individual units before him.

  28. - Top - End - #898
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Surely logic is Gunn's expertise, but it seems plain that we need to either restore Dalvar, however that might be accomplished, or find a replacement that maintains the same neutrality. If the cosmic balance is at stake, then only a truly Neutral god can be added to keep that balance. So long as the power remains unclaimed, any threat to Dalvar's plane is an existential threat to all.

    But this causes me to wonder - this pillar arose from the destruction of Yara's old body. So the power of a disappeared god was inside her. How did that come to pass? How can that even be possible?
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    "An excellent question," Natalia agrees, turning to face Yara. "Perhaps one best answered from the horse's mouth?"

  30. - Top - End - #900
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    As the group is walking Rosalind lets the others know about the Eclipse Cloak and that she has a sneaking suspicion it was one of the four items used. In a hushed tone she adds "The items I remember seeing the lich trying to use were less...shall we say evil aligned then the two I am decently sure of. And the destruction of a holy symbol of Dalvar, no doubt one of the last and having its own power is nothing to be overlooked either." she points out to the others as she saw a very distinct pattern between the items being used in this recreation ritual.

    As they all enter the new room filled with expensive food and taste the priestess of the Lover's chooses to remain standing, not partaking in anything offered by the devil before her. She knew better then to trust her at her word, and given what had just occurred had even less reason then normal to take anything offered by her.

    "Oh I could name two things most of those groups would agree to about that ritual and your own. One that while the ritual itself was meant to serve a different purpose the items being used were of redemption and for the most part holy, unlike two of the items I can confirm in your own attempt. And the second being that they would not agree to send the pillar anywhere without being sure the evil gods could not get their hands on it. Kind of like how it seems you are harmed every time you try to use your left hand. You do know what they say about that right, those who are predominately left handed, is that why you try so hard to not use it?" Rosalind asks, mostly the last part out of curiosity if it was self punishment or trying to fit in with others by training herself not to use her dominate hand. It is one of the few questions she asks that does not seem judgemental oddly enough.

    "Divine power on a gods plane of existence anyone can now take if they know how and if they are powerful enough to do so without the use of artifacts of power. How convenient." Rosalind says, making it clear that she saw this as an advantage to their enemies more so then to them. "You moved a beacon from where at the moment it was protected and controlled forcing anyone who wanted it and had the ability to take it to try and get past all the protections it would have, as I doubt Charis, Realth, or any other god aligned church would want that power to fall into the hands of those who plot against New Ganther to a place we have no real knowledge of where there is nothing stopping it from being claimed besides knowledge of the ritual and the power to do it. At best that was foolish when all one had to do was simply send a message spell to see how the fight outside was going, or look out the hole in ones rough, at worst it sounds like you were making it easier for your parton to take. After all you said you were rushed and did not have all of the items you required to complete the ritual for certain. Reading between the lines it would make sense that you did what you thought was within your power to make sure it stayed out of someones hands that would not best serve your own goals."

    Spoiler: Sense Motives on if she is telling the whole truth
    Show
    (1d20+11)[22]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •