New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Adventures in New Ganthar III

Spoiler: Gunn, Theo and Perseus
    Show
    Gunn's glowering seems not to phase Lothrain, and he looks with a faint smile at the lawyer, ignoring Perseus.

"One might wonder what sudden bout of honesty you are afraid of, Mr Gunn. Those who love the law need not fear being bound to the truth.

"I make no apology for invoking Relath's name. I am who I am. I will I compromise my divine mandate, in the name of courtesy or otherwise.

"Still, the spell has served its purpose, and I shall dismiss it. In the interests of cooperation if nothing else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

"I can understand not wanting to remain near the temple. Evil gods are disruptive to society, I wonder how this country thought itself improved by tolerating two such beings. We tear down the first's temple and they just rebuild it for the second. At least this one is for devils, they can be somewhat... trusted."
    "It's true my country has one god, but we also have several spirits tied to the land. Feronax gives us unity and a collective goal and we work together to improve our society. Having any more gods would split our focus and divide us. What of your country? How do your gods function?" Hesa asks.

"I came to New Ganthar because the people I trusted asked me to," he explains, giving the same story he had given to the others. "Yara is considered a traitor to our cause, for reasons I am unsure of. We both have mutual friends, who claim that Yara was still loyal to Feronax despite what the priests might believe. They had discovered her in New Ganthar, and my friends had tasked me with finding her and moving her from the city."
    "However, Yara died as I arrived. As such, I'm seeking to make up for my failure by completing her earthly tasks and, if I can find someone capable of such an act, resurrect her. You knew Yara, what do you know of her? And what tasks did she have before she died?"
    He slightly tensed when she mentioned meeting someone else. She had been at yesterdays fight, so he didn't have any reason to believe she might lead him into an ambush. Still, he didn't know her or her cause. He decided to stay alert for this conversation as a precaution.
    Spoiler: Ooc
    Show

Not trying to bluff at all. He's being honest but is also unsure what you want and is slightly suspicious. As such, Sense Motive: (1d20+9)[18]
    Additionally, has something else on his mind when he's talking.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind is amused at Hesa comment on the state of New Ganther and their willingness to work with temples to evil gods, something she herself had found odd when she first arrived here."I wish I had an answer for you, the best I have come up with in a year however is to appease the god in the hopes the god doesn't set their eyes on New Ganther. A failed experiment given the state of things at the moment if you ask me, however this is not my home so who am I to tell them how to do things." the kindly priestess says as she walks with Hesa. Looking to Yara for confirmation to continue talking to him before going on.

As Hesa calls Feronax a god Sister Rosalind raises her eyebrow a look of amusement upon her face as she listens to what he has to say about the spirits of his land. "In my land we worship the Lovers, other temples are...tolerated so long as they do not preach for war or killing however in general it is rare to see such a temple. Maybe a small shrine to the Traveler here and there to pay respect, but nothing as series as the Temples I have seen within this growing kingdom. I must admit." she answers respectfully. "If I may, I have heard about your land, if only a little and if history has taught me anything it is that the spirits that once protected and guarded the people of your island were banished or something similar by the followers of the dragon your people worship as a deity." she says, before holding her hand up realizing what she had just said. "I am sorry, its just when Yara told me about your god I began researching about him and came across some very disturbing things. I simply wished to see if you had heard similar stories before not to insult you. I hear I have a knack for that at times." she says looking down guilty.

"Yara was indeed loyal to Feronax in life for the time that I knew her. I can promise you that, though I doubt she would have returned willingly had you tried to take her by force. She was a woman in search of knowledge it seemed, something that sometimes found her in trouble, even when she was doing it for the right reasons." Sister Rosalind replies, not lying, simply hiding the truth that she no longer worshiped the dragon.

"If you wish to raise Yara I can promise you I know of a way to do so. However you may not accompany me unless the spirts tell me so. If you buy the diamond dust needed for the ritual I will make sure she is aware you are here and wish to speak with her. However this is at great risk to myself so until I know I can trust you I can not sadly have you come with me once you have given me the diamond dust. If you wait at Mr. Gunn's office or back at the temple I will return with Yara however if she wishes to do so." Sister Rosalind offers.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He can tell Rosalind knows more, however is hiding it from him, though her words are honest.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo could sense that Lothrain was a bit incensed at being chastised so, but he backed Gunn in this case. His house, his rules, good friend. It would not show well on the emissaries of just gods to fly in the face of understandable rules a man sets in his own private space. He then pulls out the scroll and says - shall we begin? If any have suggestions for further questions, say them to me and I may see fit to ask them of Charis.

He then prays aloud before casting the scroll. Oh Charis, I pray to Thee that my questions are worthy of your time and consideration. You whose gaze is farther than all, please share with us your wisdom and knowledge...

Then he casts Commune and begins.

1. Does the lich calling himself Shroud have in his possession the Sapphire Staff of Maya?
    2. Does he have in his possession the Tome of Dalvar?
    3. Does he have in his possession the Bones of Saint Rosalind?
    4. Does he have in his possession the Chalice of Relath?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Theo, Gunn, Perseus
    Show
    The now-familiar sense of Charis's presence fills the room, and through the divine magic with which he is blessed, Theo petitions his Goddess for answers.

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Soon

Lothrain nods thoughtfully at this. He seems to have forgotten his indignation at Gunn and Perseus. "Tactical information, perhaps? Or maybe whether Shroud acts alone - and whether Yara's information is correct?"

6. - Top - End - #6

*Yara floats around Hesa, trying to get his attention.*
    *"Well, he can't see me," she tells Rosalind.*

"Other religions aren't allowed in our empire, apart from at the edges where they are gradually phased out." he tells Rosalind.
    He doesn't seem offended by what she says about the spirits and Feronax's divinity. He wasn't here to conquer a land nor put down a rebellion. What heretical things said by foreigners didn't matter.
    "The spirits still exist upon the island," he says. "In the beginning, when Feronax tamed the Isle, he had to tame as well and bind them to the land so that it made safe. The dangerous ones were driven from the isles yes, but there are those that help keep the people safe and the land healthy."
    So, Rosalind thought Yara was still loyal. It was better then he had previously thought, but he didn't know how accurate the priestess was.
    "You have a way to resurrect her?" he asks. "You want me to part with a substantial amount of Yara's money for this. You seem to be honest, but I can't take the chance. If I exchange the gold for the diamond dust, I will need to accompany you to wherever you intend to raise her."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Rosalind could not help but let a smile cross her face as she watched the specter of Yara floating around Hesa before stating he couldn't see her. However speaking to her at this moment would reveal something to the man so instead she simply nodded her head at the ghost, hoping the warrior from Yara's homeland would not notice the smallest of movements.

"So your homeland actively hunts down those who try to set up a religious base in their lands?" Sister Rosalind asks the man, her tone becoming one of confusion as her head reals back and turns to the side. "Or is it just that when the new religion comes the people simply do not worship it for any amount of time so they eventually leave?" the priestess finished, her curiosity getting the best of her.

"Interesting, normally when two cultures meet one side destroys the other, with the only survivors being those who switched sides. It is good to see in some cultures that such is not always the case." Rosalind remarks as she is told on the most dangerous spirits were made to leave the island. Though it did make her question if they were threats to the dragon himself more then the people, after all spirits tended to defend what they saw as theirs or were peaceful. They didn't often show any other sides of themselves to the living, at least that mortals could understand.

"If you give me a moment to ask if you may be there then?" she says acting as if she is casting a spell to speak with someone as she looks to Yara. "Would you mind if a traveler from Yara's homeland was there at the ritual to return her to life?" Once done getting the answer Rosalind turns to look at the man. "Whatever you see during this ritual I hope you understand can not be spoken about, not even to your high priests or priestess back home. It must remain a secret, so if you can promise you will hold these secrets with you until your grave you may be there when we attempt to raise her. Otherwise the best I can do is have you seated in a room next to us."

8. - Top - End - #8

"A bit of both. Any religion can be a destabilising force, the differing philosophies damages unity. While other religions can be tolerated towards the edges, they are gradually replaced by Feronaxian worship. A person closer to the centre may have a personal religion as long as it doesn't interfere with Feronaxian worship, but no temples or group worship is allowed. And most people towards the centre don't see a reason to worship another god."

"Sure, let him come. I just want to get this done.""

"I swear that what I see will not be spoken of again," Hesa says. "I will have to be in the same room, just to make sure Yara's resources are used correctly."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

"So what happens when a group of people do congragate to worship another religion then? Are they put to death for simply having different ideals even if those ideals are not that different from those you already follow, or are they asked to leave?" Sister Rosalind asks as they walk, this sounded more like making someone's brain see anything that was not its own as something evil and bad.

"Oh I can promise you they will be used properly." Sister Rosalind says laughing. "Myself and the person who will be returning her to this life have sworn vows of poverty, we can not own such items. It is why I asked you to buy the diamond dust if you wished for her to be brought back. But we are wasting time let us be off to find someone who we can buy the resources from before it is to late." and with that Sister Rosalind leads the man to the temple of Berun hoping the temple to the healer would have such an item in stock in such a large quantity.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Our goal, then, must be to eliminate Shroud and secure the remaining artifacts for ourselves. He has collected them for us, we need only to take them from him." Gunn says, moving on quickly from the awkwardness with Lothrain, though making a mental note of his intractability. "Could we narrow down the window where Shroud will strike? Or find out if Natalia, or Lydia for that matter, will assist us in defeating Shroud?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

All good suggestions, he tells his compatriots, but notice that the Chalice will only "soon" be in his possession. Perhaps we can intercept it?

Theo continues his series of questions.

5. Is it reasonably possible for us to recover the Chalice before it enters into Shroud's possession?
    6. Will Shroud be acting alone tonight?
    7. Is Shroud preparing for our attempt to stop him?
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Theo, Gunn and Perseus
    Show
    1. Unclear
    2. No
    3. Yes

Spoiler: Rosalind, Hesa and Yara
    Show
    Mother Martha, the head of the temple of Berun, greets Rosalind and Hesa personally. When you explain the need for such a quantity of diamond dust, she raises her eyebrows, making the inference quickly.

"Enough diamond dust to raise five people to life? Well, we have it of course, but can we assist?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo looks concerned, as he now knows that the enemy will have the advantage over him. The lich was planning on Theo's interjection, and had unknown allies aiding him. And this is not even the greatest task before him - the warning that the dwarven emissaries had given was still days away. He looks about to Gunn and Lothrain with consternation, inviting them to give their thoughts so far.

8. Is the intelligence that we have collected so far, from Yara and others, reliably accurate?
    9. Are those with whom Shroud is working tonight entities that myself or my allies have come into contact with before?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Theo, Gunn and Perseus
    Show
    1. Mainly. Shroud suspects Yara.
    2. One is

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Under normal circumstances I would be honored to have you along as well as anyone you wished to help see this event, however in this special case I must ask for you to take a rain check. As you are aware I am sure Yara used to have a demon reside within her. This will complicate the matter a great deal as we have to make sure it IS Yara who returns and not the demon. Hesa here is a follower of her god, and has come here for Yara, as such he will be in attendance to help to determine IF it is in fact Yara before we allow the spirit to enter the physical form. I hope you understand, and I promise the next time I perform such a ritual you and any of your followers that you wish to join will be allowed. I however must look after everyone's safety in this matter." Sister Rosalind says to Sister Martha, hoping the woman would see the logic in being worried about the demon trying to come back in Yara's place, and thus not wanting to put her or her followers in Risk.

"Something of note you should be aware of however, a lich is on the lose in this city somewhere in hiding. No doubt he has been the cause of all the undead in New Ganther recently and is collecting artifacts of power from different faiths. If you have anything of importance I suggest you speak with Father Theo, I believe he is mounting a defense of the items or something similar. I with luck will be going to speak with him again after I am finished bringing Yara back to this world. After all my country has already lost their artifact to this creature, and no doubt that angel of decay was a minion of his so be prepared." the priestess warns her, hoping the misdirection of a very real threat would help Martha give up the idea of joining the ritual.

Once the diamond dust is secured Sister Rosalind makes her way back to her old mentor with Hesa and informs him that they are ready to head to the Gleaming Rose.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind, Yara, Hesa
    Show
    Martha signals to her followers to start collecting the diamond dust.

"All this for one woman? Then it's a True Resurrection? I didn't think even you had that power."

You then tell her about Shroud, and the expression of revulsion and outrage on her face shows your distraction is a success. "A lich. Powerful, dangerous creatures. Would that I had Lifewardens capable of fighting such a foe, but alas, I do not. Still, I can perhaps help with advice.

"A lich is difficult to harm with weapons. You will need weapons capable of breaking bone - maces or hammers - nothing with a cutting edge or a piercing point. And these must be enchanted weapons as well.

"All liches are potent spellcasters, and you will need all of the precautions you would normally take for such foes.

"They cannot be harmed by cold, for the chill of the grave is within them. Other forms of energy may harm them - unless they have warded against such things.

"But most of all, beware the intelligence of such a foe. They will out-think you. They will have planned for everything you can do. What they do not know, they have the divination magic to learn.

"Even if you destroy the body, the lich survives. Its soul is shielded within a phylactery, which will reconstruct the body given time - maybe a week, maybe a day. While you seek to confront this lich, I will do what I can to locate its phylactery."

She waits for any questions you might have, but lets you leave when you are ready.

Shortly you are back with Father William, who regards Hesa with mild interest.

"You are the one who thought enough of Yara to pay a king's ransom for her restoration? Curious. Tell me, who is she to you, that you would do this for her?"

He listens curiously to the answer, then nods to Rosalind. "Lead the way, my daughter. I will play the meek follower, waiting for your miracle. But best we do this discretely, and in private."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

"It's complicated." Sister Rosalind admits honestly, not going into further detail as she didn't want to lie to the woman.

"It is fine, I only told you to warn you is all. It is being handled at the moment by myself, High Priest Theo, and a few others, Yara is actually a very important part of what we know about this lich and one of the reasons why she is needed to be returned to the world of the living." she explains before listening to what the woman had to say about how to fight a lich. "I will try to remember all of this and thank you for your assisstance. However do not leave yourselves open to attack trying to find this phalctry. Even if we do not find it and he returns he will think twice before attacking which will buy us some time." Sister Rosalind promises her fellow high priestess.

"I understand Brother William, but will my disciple be allowed to attend as well so he may learn as I did?" she asks before they depart for the gleaming rose.

Once at the Gleaming Rose Sister Rosalind calls all of her nurses over to her and explains that the main temple would be off limits, she had to perform high magic and needed the utmost concentration to do the task. If asked about why the two people were with her she nods to William. "I need a soul who sees the purity in a person." before turning to Hesa. "And I need someone close to the deceased who can call them back to this world. The fact he can also fight off anything that tries to posses or interfere with this ritual from the outer planes makes him the ideal help." she explains.

18. - Top - End - #18

"There's nothing to it, but to do it," Gunn says. "We knew he would be powerful, we knew he would be a hard fight. Shroud is approaching godhood--he was never going to go down easy. Gather the resources you can. We will rendezvous at dusk at the Temple of Mal--Valacles. If the gods are on our side, we will prevail. If they are not, well, we wouldn't have come this far."

Gunn will continue the conversation as long as Theo and Lothrain wish, but once they are gone, he'll return to his office, gaze up into space, and say, "Torc, if you're watching, I could use your help," wishing he had a better way to contact the shadowy organization he has allied himself with.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

19. - Top - End - #19

Show

Took a while to post, had a lot of work. But I've just handed in my last assignment for the semester, so I'm free until next sem.

Hesa lets Rosalind do the talking at the temple of Berun, listening to the conversation on Lich's. When he hears about their resistance to damage, he decided now is the time to talk.
    "Where would we be able to get such weapons in such little time? All my weapons are built around slashing. While blunt weapons can be found in abundance, those with relevant enchantments may be harder to come across."

When they have the diamonds and Rosalind takes him to Father William, Hesa carefully looks over the priest. He didn't expect a double cross, but that was no excuse to not be careful.
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show

(1d20+9)[17]

"I am Hesa, a soldier from her homeland. It was my duty to keep her safe, as I failed it is now my responsibility to restore her to life." he tells the man. "The money was Yara's, earned from her final battle. I do not think she will mind its use for this purpose."

Yara sighed looking at the sack of diamonds in Hesa's hands. So much of her money... She knew it was the only way but it was disappointing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I have but two more questions, and then we can prepare our resources and rendezvous -

10 - Does Shroud know that we have tokens that will negate the effects of the Sapphire Staff?
    11 - What willing party might we ally with that will help us succeed in stopping Shroud?

He gets his answers and then nods to Gunn and Lothrain to bid them a temporary farewell. I will continue to go to other temples and see what assistance they can offer - in the meantime, Arbiter, is there any resource you have that might help locate whoever is transporting the Chalice? If not, maybe Gunn has a contact that could track it down... he leaves the sentence hanging and heads out.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2018-06-03 at 11:26 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind, Hesa, Yara - at the Temple of Berun
    Show
    Mother Martha inclines her head to Hesa, acknowledging the point. "Fortunately, such weapons are our Lifewardens' stock in trade. I can give you four maces with basic enchantments upon them - weapons that will overcome the creature's innate resilience, but do little else. But I can give you these free of charge. As for something more potent, you might try Ambrorun's.". She signals to one of the Lifewardens, who fetches the four promised weapons - simple in design, etched with Berun's holy symbol, but charged with quiet power.

Show
    Four +1 light maces.

Spoiler: Theo, Gunn, Perseus
    Show
    10 - No.

Show
    Question 11 is beyond the spell's scope - your question has to be capable of a yes/no answer. You can ask a different question.

Lothrain is lost in thought for a moment as he considers the results of your divination. At your question, he shakes his head.

"Whoever has the Chalice has warded it against divination magic. That suggests a temple, or a mage. No prizes for guessing who I suspect has it."

He falls quiet again, then says, “We know where the Chalice will be tonight. I won't act prematurely against Natalia or anyone else, as that might risk Shroud changing his plans. But I will make all ready for tonight, marshall my forces.”

Rising, he checks no one else has anything to add, then bids you farewell.

Spoiler: The Gleaming Rose (Yara, Hesa and Rosalind
    Show
    Arrangements are quickly made, and you gather in the inner sanctum for Father William’s rite. Brother Pran joins you, looking with curiosity from Rosalind to the strangers beside her.

Father William says nothing to satisfy that curiosity, merely indicating the altar. “Sprinkle the diamond dust upon the altar. It will take some minutes of prayer to channel the necessary forces. Feel free to talk, but please do so quietly - I need to clear my mind of worldly things, and fill it with the will of the Lovers.”

He lowers himself into a meditative posture, legs folded beneath him, hands outstretched in petition, eyes closed as his mouth forms silent prayers beneath his breath.

Show
    Pausing there in case you want to do anything in the 10-minute casting time, otherwise will press on to the actual spell effect tomorrow.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

11 (Restated) - Does there remain a willing party that would prove to be a decisive ally in the fight against Shroud who has not yet been reached out to?

Theo understands the meaning of Lothrain's words and suspicions. I know who you mean. I suspected Nathalia to have recovered the Chalice as well, but for her to hand it over directly to someone you are so opposed to would be treasonous to our very alliance! This time, my friend, I think our first reaction was wrong. Shroud has been at this game for a long time, I know now that he was part of the plot that burned my family alive in our home. Theo's off-hand grasped at his cloak of midnight blue, the very same one his father had given to him that fateful night. He has been at this for longer than I have been alive. He is connected to those undead warriors, like the one we fought when we destroyed the vampires in their den. There are forces at play that we have yet to identify. Strange as it may seem, I think Nathalia is working for our interests in this.

In fact, I have not reached out to her regarding this Shroud character. Gunn, is it possible for you to play emissary once more? At the very least, her summoned devils can absorb arrows and swords better than our soldiers. And if Nathalia turns out to be the hidden party aiding Shroud, then we will have cause to redeem Charis openly and with haste.
    He adds, hoping that the open acknowledgement would appease the Arbiter.

And with that, Theo made his way out politely. Before he went back out to recruit other allies, he returned to his temple to update Asoryala. She was a steadfast member of the temple, and though she remained suspicious of his leadership, he was happy that he could count on the mage for honest counsel and wise advice.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: At the temple of Berun
    Show
    Sister Rosalind was never one to use a weapon before so as the four maces were given to Hesa she refused to take one herself. "If the powers of the Lovers can not harm him, I am sure my fists will do just fine." she reassures the high priestess of Berun. "Though if I may who or what is this Ambrorun's?" she asks out of curiosity as it could be a potential ally for the group, or a target of the lich.

Spoiler: Knowledge religion
    Show
    If Ambrorun has to deal with religion (1d20+19)[32]

Spoiler: Once back at the Gleaming Rose
    Show

[COLOR="#ADD8E6"]"Pran what I am about to tell you is a very important secret which must be known to none outside of this room without my express permission.[COLOR="#DDA0DD"]" Sister Rosalind says as she notices her young pupil eyeing her mentor in confusion. "This is my mentor Brother William, who has come all the way from Pacem to see how I am adjusting to New Ganther. However his trip here could cause problems that we would not want. If not for his abilities far outreaching my own I would not even ask of him what he is about to attempt, however the need is dire." the high priestess of the gleaming rose states, her expression firm as she crosses her arms in front of her making it clear this was one of those things that was not up for debate.

"What you are about to see, is a soul that has not yet made the journey to the Mother's side be reborn into this world. The practice is rarely done, and not without great consideration to the ramification returning the soul might cause on not only this world, but the afterlife. Add in most in Pacem who worship the lovers have forsworn material wealth the event you are about to witness is almost unheard of, in truth raising the dead to protect the living is even more common." the woman explains to her student as she does as her mentor instructed and began sprinkling the diamond dust on the altar, making a point to keep her voice low and hushed.

"It is because of these reasons I risked letting you know the secret of my mentor being in New Ganther because the chances of such a ritual taking place again in your lifetime is rare. The Lovers very rarely allow their children to return in such a manner once they have been called to the beyond, so the fact that they asked for it means Yara is important to maintaining the balance of the world. That means if asked you must say I performed the ritual, or that we prayed in union combining our powers to achieve such a goal that no one person could accomplish. Never however try this alone until you are at least at the experience level I have attained. Bringing a soul back is difficult, it is why I am happy I had previously placed the glyphs on the door. It should keep most unwanted souls out." she says waiting to see if Pran had any questions before she began to pray adding her voice to that of Father Williams.

24. - Top - End - #24

Spoiler: Berun
    Show

"Thank you," Hesa says as he accepts the weapons. "I'm sure these relatively simple weapons will preserve many lives should the lich appear."
    He grabs one and gives a small swing, to test the weight. The weapon felt comfortable and the weight would aid in crushing skulls.
    "Yes, these will do nicely. I will make sure their distributed to those who can best use them."

Spoiler: Temple
    Show

Yara hovers around near Brother William, waiting for whatever he was doing to take effect.
    Hesa stands a bit apart from the rest, silently watching the ceremony.
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-06-05 at 08:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn, Theo and Perseus
    Show
    11. Yes

As the sense of Charis's presence fades - although for Theo it never wholly disappears - your discussion turns to Natalia and her trustworthiness - or lack thereof.

"Theo, I told Yara's spirit earlier that it was a mistake to work with unrepentant evil. I meant it. If you choose to work with Natalia tonight, I will not be a party to it. I will still strive to recover the Chalice and stop the lich - but on my own.

"I trust you will make the right choice, my friend, but know that I am through compromising my beliefs."

Spoiler: Gunn (alone)
    Show
    Moments after your speech to the ceiling, you sense Torc's presence in the room. Turning, you see him seated in one of your client chairs, placing the ring that seems to render him impervious to your Mindsight into a belt pouch.

"Am I that predictable?" he muses wryly. "But then, given the issues at hand, it is probably an easy guess I would be watching - and equally that I would not choose to show myself to your previous company.

"By the way, I saw Lothrain's attitude towards you. Do you see why my employers oppose the gods? Even the best of them run roughshod over us mortals.

"But to the question at hand. You want help dealing with Shroud - and we are very willing to give it. I have told you before the limits of what help we can give. What do you need?"

Spoiler: Temple of Berun (R, H, Y)
    Show
    Martha shakes her head. "I forget that you are fairly new to the city, my friend. Ambrorun is a wizard who made his fortune adventuring, before retiring into the merchant trade. Seems he is a better merchant than he was a mage. He runs a shop selling all manner of magic items. A good selection, reasonable prices. If you can endure his inane chatter."

Spoiler: The Gleaming Rose (R, H, Y)
    Show
    Father William abruptly rises to his feet, his voice swelling in a crescendo of praise. On the altar, the diamond dust stirs - then rises, shedding brilliant light as each tiny fragment turns to holy radiance. The motes of light swirl and surge, expanding to create a lattice in the shape of Yara.

"In the name of Torae, She Who Is Death, I call on one now departed! Yara, She has revealed this truth: that your time is not yet come. Come back to us."

Yara feels again the intense regard of Torae - and then feels a sensation akin to shackles settling on her wrist, and a sudden, almost irresistible pulling at her solar plexus.

"Kirest, font of creation, I petition You. By the malice of dark forces, the body You gave to this child is no more. Make for her I pray a new body, a vessel to nurture her soul until it is perfected for Torae's halls."

The swirling energy upon the altar grows more intense, and with a rush of sound like the crashing of an enormous wave, it is transformed into a naked replica of Yara’s body, flawless in every respect, free of the minute scars and defects a life of frequent violence had accumulated. Pran turns his head away, embarrassed, but Father William lays a hand on the body above the heart, unselfconsciously, even as he reaches out his other hand to Yara's spirit.

“All is ready. Come, Child of the Lovers, and take up your life once more.”

Immediately, Yara feels the pressure of his hand on her chest, exactly where he is touching the body. Light floods her senses, overwhelmingly bright, forcing her to shut her eyes - and as she opens them, she finds herself staring up at the ceiling above the altar. Air fills her lungs, pure and sweet, and she becomes conscious of the hardness of the altar beneath her, the cold of the stone on her bare skin.

For everyone else, they see only Yara’s spirit disappear, and the body on the altar start to breathe and look around, a quiet, subtle rebirth belying the vast power at work.

William steps back, murmuring a prayer of thanks, and nods wearily to Rosalind.

Yara is alive.

Show
    Yara returns with her full Hp and power point quota, though no possessions until they are returned to her.

Spoiler: Theo - back at the Temple of Charis
    Show
    You find Asoryala in her private office, hunched over a crumbling scroll, finger lightly tracing the faded calligraphy as she reads. Hearing your tread on the floorboards, she looks up, raising a hand in greeting.

“Father Theo. Welcome.”

She stands, carefully marking her place, and considers the room. Her shelves are meticulously filed, floor and desk scrupulously clean, but there is an incongruous stack of wands, scrolls, books and other arcane objects on the only unoccupied chair. Moving, she signals to her own chair, offering you a chance to sit down.

“I am currently cataloguing certain objects recovered from an ancient elven tomb. I have yet to confirm they are all safe to move, so best we leave them there for now. The Templar who delivered them dropped them there rather abruptly when I asked if they had been checked for curses - not where I would have preferred he leave them, but there we are.

“In any case, how can I be of service?”

26. - Top - End - #26

"True enough," Gunn says agreeably on the matter of Lothrain. "What do I need? Intelligence, if you have any more to offer than we have already gathered, and any power you can provide, be it magical or mundane, material or otherwise."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Knowing Yara would come back without any of her material possession's Sister Rosalind waited until the ritual was complete before making her way over to Yara and handing her a pile of wool clothing she had made herself, as well as simple sandals. "Welcome back to the world of the Living Yara, I believe you would like to go about your things immedietly however you should make sure your accustomed to your new body first, after all you have been in spirit form for some time now." Sister Rosalind says kindly as she holds out the clothes to the woman.

Once taken, the priestess makes her way to her mentor looking on worried about his advanced age and the amount of power that was just channeled through him by the Lovers. She had felt its effects on more than one occasion, and understood the amount of fatigue he was no doubt suffering from. "Brother William if you need to rest I suggest you stay within the temple. I do not have the grand protections of our temples back home around it, however it is I think safe enough for you to regain yourself." she says as she hands him a simple loaf of bread and a waterskin filled with water to try and return some of his energy to him.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

You dont make my job easier, Lothrain. He states with the tiredness clear in his voice. Fine, then we best come up with something better for them to do, to keep the appearance of the alliance up.

He leaves in a rush. If there existed a potential ally that would turn the tide of the battle, then there was no time to waste. He arrives at the office of Asoryala and knocks at the door to announce himself before letting himself in. If I can politely decline the chair, but I prefer to stand. Always at the ready, as I prefer. I apologize for the intrusion, but there is little time to spare. This is about the lich.

He fills her in on the facts of the meeting, only leaving out the information that would out him on his future intentions with Lothrain. After informing her on the results of the Commune spell, he continues with two questions. I appreciate your wisdom and your counsel in matters, the first question is an easy one. Charis said that there remain others that could help us - I admit I am ignorant of the various groups and faiths represented here. I already visited the temple of Maya, and obtained a few tokens that will help shield the bearers against the Sapphire Staff. I ask for your wise advice in who else to go to, as time is short.

And my second question is hard to ask, but the fact is we are short on manpower. There remains a number of trained knights loyal to Charis, ones that care not to follow me, but who might be swayed if the right emissary speaks to them. I ask you, do you know where we can find Brother Niall?
    Last edited by gallagher; 2018-06-05 at 10:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Yara slowly sits up, getting use to the sensations of having a body. Stretching out her limbs, she checked that everything was intact before swinging her legs off the alter and hopping off.
    "Well, all of me seems to be there," she says in a happy tone.
    Above her head, a cloud of psionic energy appeared, generating a mass of crystal. Reaching up above her head, she caught the psicrystal as it formed.
    "And you're back too!" she cried as she cradled the crystal.
    Playing around with it's little legs, she looked up and around at the others in the room.
    "So... Thanks." she says. "I appear to be alive again. Does anyone have any clothes, it's a bit chilly."
    She accepts the clothes from Rosalind and quickly slips them on.

While Rosalind talked with William, Yara talks to Hesa.
    "I know why you're here," she tells him. "I heard you in spirit form. I'm going to need my stuff back, and then we need to get the energy back."
    Hesa nods. "I've gathered you belongings back at the temple of Charis. Natalia has got the energy pillar under guard, she wont let you get near."
    "Then we will just have to steal it back before she notice."

"Hey, Rosalind! Hesa and I will be heading to the temple of Charis to recover my possessions before heading to the temple of Mal...Valacles. Do you have any plans?"
    Show

Presumably the time until the psicrystal returns is up.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Torc nods his agreement. “In terms of intelligence, part of our problem is that Shroud routinely wards himself against divination magic. That means we are restricted to conventional observation - not always easy for a mage capable of slipping out of our reality altogether - and scrying on known associates. In that sense, discovering his pact with Yara was tremendously fortunate.

“With that caveat, I will tell you what we have learned.

“Shroud has made contact with several members of the Cabal, and they have since been making preparations for battle, focusing in particular on raising undead minions. Some of the Cabal mages are capable of posing a threat to you, but the undead being created are unlikely to do so - I suspect they will be used to delay and distract.

“Similarly, there has been contact between Shroud and the survivors of your friends’ vampire purge. There are only a handful left, but they are the most cunning of their kind.

“Those are the enemies we know will be involved. Be aware that Shroud also has access to powerful undead of his own - his necromancy is second to none - and I expect he will pull out all of the stops to ensure tonight goes to plan.

“Last piece of intelligence about Shroud. Whenever he has been active in the city, at some point he has withdrawn to the Plane of Shadows. We believe his stronghold is there. Perhaps his phylactery too.”

Pausing, he takes a moment to gather his thoughts. Looking at you appraisingly, he asks - half to himself - “But what aid can we give you, I wonder?

“Well, you heard from Roost that only five people can fight Shroud directly - that is the consequence of his possessing the Sapphire Staff. Additional allies will only be useful if either they can resource that team, or they can be deployed against one or more of Shroud’s allies.

“With that in mind, we need to consider who might realistically have aid to offer. Many might give materiel, or the like. To actually accompany you to a site where they risk facing Shroud… you might have a double handful of people here in New Ganthar who could hope to contribute meaningfully to that fight. Your own team accounts for five. Apart from that, there's the Arbiter, maybe Lydia, Natalia, Krom… and the Council of the Arcane Fellowship.

“As far as the Council is concerned, your Rosalind already requested a meeting with them, via Lydia. Elder Abrogar has refused it. I can use our contacts, overturn that, get the meeting to go ahead before tonight, even ensure one vote in your favour - but the Council has six members, with Abrogar having the casting vote if there is a tie. One vote in hand that would otherwise be against you isn't enough. It will take a miracle to convince the majority to back a course that puts themselves at risk.

“So where else might you get support? Perhaps we look beyond our shores. The Rune Guardians, are they called? Your Perseus might be able to persuade them, and damn the political consequences. Here.”

He produces a smooth, gold-veined stone, black where it isn't gold, about the size of a hen’s egg. He lays it down on your desk.

“This is an item of Ambrorun's own design. He gave it some pretentious, long-winded name. I just call it a Speaking Stone. It can be used by anyone, whether or not they are a spellcaster, though only once each day. Works like a Sending spell. Worth a try, perhaps?”

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Asoryala returns to her seat, since you do not want it, and steeples her fingers as she reflects on the matter.

“Other allies… The Temple of Berun has the most experience fighting undead. They may have advice or resources - I don't think they have the power to face Shroud at your side, but if he has allies or minions, you might need to counter that.

“There are individuals who might help. Do you remember Althazan? The archmage who helped you cleanse that best of vampires? He is one of a handful of wizards who could hope to fight a spell duel with a lich, and the only one I can think of who has the willingness as well as the ability to go into battle when the need arises. Well, Abrogar could - what is it with wizards and names beginning with ‘A’? Nominative determinism, perhaps? - anyway, Abrogar is the most powerful wizard on New Ganthar, and will get his hands dirty if he must, but he is a self-serving piece of filth. And he was very close to ex-Chancellor Martok. You're not his favourite person.”

You can tell she has been putting off answering your second question - particularly when she launches that tangent about nominative determinism - but she picks up on your expression, and closes her eyes briefly.

“You don't ask the easy questions, do you? Well, at least this time the answer is easy enough.”

She produces a sheet of parchment from a drawer in her desk. It is a duplicate of the notice you have already seen, the one trying to convince priests of Charis to defect to Niall.

Spoiler: The text of that notice, for ease of reference
    Show
    To all true servants of Charis, from Her rightful High Priest, Niall, greetings.

You have been sold a lie by those who demand your trust. Theodore Roost acts the role of a faithful priest of Our Lady of Many Paths, but the truth is, he conspires with those who wish to break the Accords and to corrupt the purity of Her nature with their skewed moral convictions.

To make matters worse, I have learned that he participated in a coup d’etat, ensuring that the rightful Regent of this nation was ousted on spurious legal grounds and replaced by those more malleable to his will. That he passed this off as a triumph of justice is all the more iniquitous.

In any man, this conduct would be appalling. In one who would call himself the mortal exemplar of immortal Justice? Inexcusable.

I thus call on all right-thinking followers of the Sentinel to abandon this false Champion and join us, the Temple-in-Exile. Seek with us Her true Will, and a restoration of all that this proud nation should be.

The notice ends with an address: the Cornelan Estate, Greychapel.

Asoryala taps the address at the end. “Niall is there. The Cornelan Estate. It is no trick - I checked myself.

“But you may prefer an intermediary to go in your stead - a neutral party? I could present the facts of the matter to him for you. He will not act against me. He might be tempted to act against you.”

Spoiler: Rosalind, Yara, Hesa
    Show
    Father William smiles warmly at Rosalind. “Thank you, my child. Yes, a rest would be most welcome. And I have not forgotten our earlier discussion. I will chance remaining until the morning.”