New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

A misunderstanding, Theo said, blinking innocently at Tariel's image before him. I only mean that our alliance, which Charis sacrificed for, shall out last the threat of Maltur. It must, for the price we paid. As for Niall, I shall do what must be done. If Our Lady can law down her Crown of Righteousness in the name of a greater mission, then I can work alongside Niall. The question remains if he is willing to do the same.

Theo listens to the rest, nodding along before he is hurried away to the realm of the awake and alive. He is impressed with two ideas to start his morning: summon his new arcanist, and look to his books for those that witnessed the shade which Tariel dueled. When Ofred arrives, Theo gives the command to him to bring her to his study for a private meeting. And which of the acolytes do you have rotating in today? I will require an attendant, and this would be good experience.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2018-12-11 at 12:06 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

As the cabal mages order their undead minions to attack Rosalind lets out a sigh, this could not go easily now could it she thinks as most of the attacks prove ineffective at best as the creatures come within her holy aura, damaging themselves in the process of doing so.

Spoiler: Holy Radiance
    Show
    (1d4)[2] damage to all undead within 10ft of her

Most of the attacks proved superficial at best, and Rosalind showed little fear as the four lesser undead came at her, all but ignoring her pupil no doubt still hidden from their view due to her early spell. However as the last monster reveals itself the priestess realises this was the creature she had sensed. Easly fighting out of its hold the priestess of the lovers began to Pray. "Father, Kirest, shine your golden light down on me to banish these trapped souls who were created from Mothers stolen power back to the grave where they belong." and with that a golden light extends out from her, trying to blast away all the undead within 60ft of her. The power of her devotion flowing out the windows of the building in a golden display.

Spoiler: My Turn
    Show

Greater Turn Undead check (1d20+11)[12] 15HD is the most powerful she can turn
    Turning Damage (3d6+14)[26] and this is the amount of HD of creatures she can effect starting with the closest one.
    Exalted Turning (those not destroyed take (3d6)[8] damage
    Eyes of the Firre (2d6)[4] At the serpentine like undead (fire damage) unless the greater shadow is still alive, then at that
    Free Action Dart of life at Greater shadow if still alive, otherwise serpent (1d20+14)[22] Damage (1d8+48)[53]

As the golden radiance of her attack flows through she lets lose two more of her attacks against the undead before her trying to destroy them before they could even become a problem. "I will not have you harming any more innocents. There is no where in this city you can hide from me, and no where I will not pursue you. Where is the prison containing the guardian of the bridge of souls!" Rosalind demands of the cultists.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-12-10 at 10:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Very well. I will see what I can find out." He twirls the helm in his hands once more. "When you first recruited me, you promised compensation for services rendered. What can you offer in exchange for this helm? If I should find the artifacts necessary for the ritual, what are they worth?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Yara
    Show
    Two of the astral constructs’ blows slip through the demon's guard, dealing glancing impacts to its resilient hide. In retort, the demon moves in a whirlwind of deadly fury.

Spoiler: Full attack
    Show
    Attacks focus on one first construct until destroyed:

28 vs AC for 17 slashing damage
    34 vs AC for 9 slashing damage
    35 vs AC for 8 slashing damage
    31 vs AC for 9 slashing damage
    33 vs AC for 9 slashing damage
    44 vs AC (critical threat - confirms if 42 hits) for 11 (+ 10) slashing damage
    34 vs AC for 17 slashing damage
    19 vs AC for 18 slashing damage
    21 vs AC for 16 slashing damage

Note: weapons are not considered magical for damage reduction.

With its blades proving largely ineffectual against the constructs’ ectoplasmic mass, the demon seeks to wind its serpentine body around the construct on its left.

Spoiler: Tail slap & improved grab
    Show
    28 to hit for 30 bludgeoning damage. If it hits, grapple check: 42. If it wins the opposed grapple check it constricts for a further 29 damage.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry guys, battery on its way out, will post for others when I can.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

The demons attack took a decent chunk out of construct A, but it was far from destroyed. A new construct popped in behind the demon, a mass of invisible tentacles. This new construct lashes out at the demon, trying to entrap it.
    Spoiler: New Construct
    Show

HP: (13d10+30)[96]
    Invisible and Constrict

Edit: Forgot to add flanking so +2 to Att
    (1d20+22)[24] for (1d8+12)[16]
    Improved Grab: (1d20+25)[28] and Constrict (1d8+12)[19]

If the first attack misses/fails to grapple
    (1d20+22)[39] for (1d8+12)[13]
    Improved Grab: (1d20+20)[39] and Constrict (1d8+12)[16]

I assume that the second grapple takes the same penalty as a second attack, even if done by the same sort of nat attack

If the first attack hits, tries to Pin and hold close mouth
    (1d20+20)[22] and Constrict (1d8+12)[13]

The older constructs restart wailing on the demon, trying to break it down while it is distracted.
    Spoiler: Slams
    Show

Edit: Forgot to add flanking so +2 to Att
    A:
    (1d20+20)[22] for (1d8+12)[15]
    (1d20+20)[26] for (1d8+12)[16]
    B:
    (1d20+20)[24] for (1d8+12)[14]
    (1d20+20)[25] for (1d8+12)[19]

Yara started to walk back towards the cultist and child, weighing up her options.
    Can't use energy cone or any of my crystal sprays, that will kill the kid. I could make him forget the child exists or move the kid forward in time... I could just disintegrate him, but I'm going to need a new lead on where to find the remaining Malturites and thanks to my demon he's the only candidate.
    "Perhaps you didn't hear me," she shouts at the cultist. "Step away from the kid and I will get you out alive. Try to harm him or me, and I will end you, eventually. Drop the knife and don't try anything stupid."
    Spoiler: Preparing Dominate
    Show

If he tries to attack someone, using Dominate
    DC 20 or be dominated for 14 Days
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-12-11 at 08:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Torc waves the helmet away. “Keep it for yourself. You will find it a good match for your powers, for it will allow your telepathic influence to affect the undead; give you some protection against undead opponents; and provide access to the knowledge of the ancient spirits bound within it. As I understand it, you will also be able to use it to gather telepathic impressions from the collective subconscious of the people around you - not quite true divination, but enough to gain a sense of current events. Taken together, it makes the Helm a useful complement to your intelligence gathering skills.

“The only thing I ask is this: that you use the Helm to try and find Melchizar, and when you do, we will compensate you for any answers he might offer.

“As for the ritual components, I believe I offered information to support your goals and details of the whereabouts of valuable treasures. Well, perhaps some reward is in order for destroying Shroud. Let me then say this: Garotte is the one who sabotaged your efforts to raise funds for the refurbishment of the Poor Quarter. He was commissioned to do so by one who would protect the status quo: the former Chancellor, Lord Martok. If you wish to take action against him, you will find him in the Cornelan Estate, in the small village of Greychapel.

“But it you wish to pursue the fundraising venture further, I suggest you approach Lady Sendria. Her father was one of those killed at your fundraiser, and his vast fortune passed to her. From what I know of her, I believe that - if she knew her father was murdered to prevent him from supporting your project - she would throw all her support behind making it a reality.”

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Ofred nods his agreement. “Doubtless it would, Father. Pel was due to be on duty, but he lost a friend in the fighting at the Temple of Valacles. I told him I would cover his duties for the day. Huan was due to be on rotation tomorrow - I could ask him to bring that forward?”

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

"Give Pel the opportunity to turn it down, since today was his turn for duty. But his absence is clearly excused." Theo stated, rifling through his private collection of books. He dismisses Ofred to his duties, "I'll be ready to have them here in an hour."
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    You call on the light of Kirest's radiance, and its power washes out from you in a golden torrent. The darkness and corrupted negative energy that constitute your enemies’ form cannot withstand that holy power; within moments, the shadow and both wraiths are ripped apart.

Pran dashes forward, focusing on the bodak. Like you, he calls on the power of Kirest; unlike you, however, he is not yet skilled enough in channeling divine power to affect his target.

But the attempt is enough to end the hide from undead effect. The bodak turns its hideous, distended visage towards him, suddenly aware of this new target. Fortunately, Pran's extensive array of magical defences keeps him immune from the bodak's dread gaze, and the mages seem to be focusing on their own defensive spells for now.

Your attacks on the undead boneyard do little more than rile it. Again it tries to bite the head from your shoulders; again you twist and turn to keep it at bay, your supernatural gifts allowing you to evade its grasp.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (1d20+12)[29] vs AC (includes the - 4 penalty) for (2d8+15)[24] damage. Fort DC 22 vs Bone Subsumption: on a failed save take (2d4)[4] strength and (2d4)[5] Dexterity damage. No con damage due to buffs.

Show
    Please note it has spell resistance, where relevant make caster level checks.

Spoiler: Hesa
    Show
    Jauren sneers contemptuously. “Done? They have treated me with respect and dignity. The imbeciles. They catch a viper in their midst and choose to let it suckle at their teat.

“If this is the calibre of our enemy, our Lord Feronax will sweep over this nation like a tsunami, slaughtering their defenders and enslaving their populace while they grovel meekly before him!

“How long until our army arrives? How long must I endure this confinement?”

Show
    Please make spot and listen checks for Hesa.

Show
    The cultist, previously frozen in terror at the sight of the demon, shakes his head in mute denial at your words. Finding his voice, he answers, “Are you blind? I'm trying to free the kid, not kill him!” So saying, he saws through the ropes binding the boy's wrists, although as the child remains unconscious this does little to improve the situation.

The demon is surrounded by your constructs, but looks supremely confident as it twists, parries and blocks attacks on all sides. The new arrival manages one blow, to little effect; the demon sees it immediately, supernatural senses piercing its invisibility, and the serpentine fiend eludes its efforts to establish a hold. The others cannot so much as penetrate its defences.

“Amusing sport, Yara. But perhaps it is time to put strategy above pleasure. A pity.”

In an instant the fiend vanishes, reappearing directly in front of Yara so that she is between it and the constructs. It gives a sinister, mocking smile.

“You see, Yara, the fools who bound me to you thought that they were sculpting you into a vessel for a god's power. And so they were - but they changed me, as well. So I find I no longer need you to seize that power for my own.

“Goodbye, Yara. There will be no cheating death this time. I have more than earned your soul - and I will not be denied.”

9. - Top - End - #459

"Yes, Demon. Good bye," Yara says, taking a large step back. The demon forced her to accelerate things, she needed to leave now.
    "Get to me if you want to get out alive!" she shouted back at the cultist. "Bring the kid."

Spoiler: Dimension Door
    Show

5ft step back, towards the cultist.
    Manifested defensively, auto pass.
    Aiming for the room that she left from.
    Waiting for the cultist and kid to reach her. Was at an undefined distance from cultist, so I could already be adjacent but I assume they have to move.

Yara sent the constructs one final command before she winked out. Before the demon could react, they started to back off to a hopefully safe distance. Aiming their hands high, they launch a barrage of sound into the roof above the demons head.
    Spoiler: Energy Bolt, Sonic
    Show

Aiming to cause a collapse.
    Sonic bolts ignore hardness

A: (8d6-8)[16]
    B: (8d6-8)[11]
    C can't beam, it will just run back as far as it can.

Show
    I'll update Hesa later as it is getting late here.
    Spot: (1d20+8)[26]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[20]

10. - Top - End - #460

Gunn nods his thanks, placing the helm back in his satchel. "Is there any way I can reach you should I need to contact you?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Your search of the journals is in some ways a hopeless task; you are forced to trust to chance, divine intervention, or the vagaries of instinct to spot a telling word.

At an early stage, you find yourself revisiting a diary you have read before. An undead demigoddess... Could that be what Tariel fought, all those ages ago?

You recall Lothrain mentioning another undead demigod. Allowing for gendered terms to become confused over time, this seems quite a coincidence. Assuming they are one and the same, was the tablet Abigel discovered in the same site where Tariel fought this creature?

And what of the reference to this creature as "Daughter"? Could this be the same Daughter that Michel mentioned in his last letter to you? The one Michel warned was about to rise again?

You continue searching. Perhaps focusing on one key word might help.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind watches from the center of the battlefield as the shadow and two wraiths implode on themselves, she had hoped to get the Bodak as well however fate it seemed was not on her side at the moment. Distracted by Pran trying to Channel the power of the Lovers she calls out to her pupil. "Pran use your staff, I infused it with the powers of our gods. Trust in them, and they will help you end the creature." she says.

However due to her worrying about her pupil who was holding his own rather well, she left herself open to attack, no doubt had she not prepared earlier for such an attack it would have hurt a great deal more. Instead it only took away from her extra vitality as she fought against the creatures pull at her very bones, trying to rip them from her body and add them to its own.

Spoiler: Fort Save DC 22
    Show
    (1d20+21)[40]

The priestess of the Lovers looked on at the undead, for she could tell it was such a creature. However in no book had she ever read before had she heard of such a terrifying creature such as this. From what she had witnessed and felt however it was extremly powerful and if it got past her to Pran he would be in trouble, and that was not something she could allow. Opening herself up to attack she waits until the creature comes lashes out at her before dodging the attack and punching it with a glowing fist of pure white light, channeling one of her most powerful healing spells behind this one attack, hoping to end it all in one well placed hit.

Spoiler: Touch Attack Heal
    Show
    CL check is in OOC 33 (1d20+17)[33] Damage 298 Will DC 23 for half damage

However she was not done yet, for the evil undead creature was right before her, and the holy light of kirest nor his fire's would allow this undead to escape. She would be the instrument that kept his word to the Mother as she focused her powers into destroying the undead with all she had.

Spoiler: Final Flash
    Show

Free action Holy Raidance (1d4)[4] Divine damage
    Free Action Dart of life (down to 8) Ranged Touch Attack (1d20+14)[28] Damage (1d8+48)[49] positive energy
    Free Action Eyes of the Firre (2d6)[4] Fire damage
    IF it is still alive Immediate Action Close wounds Will DC 19 Cl check (1d20+15)[27] For (1d4+37)[40]

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    You summon the holy power of Kirest once more, gathering that strength in the palm of your hand. To living eyes it is a soft comforting golden glow; but the undead in the room react as though it were a blazing sun, shrieking their discomfort and closing their eyes against its glare.

Against so large a target you can hardly miss, touching your radiant hand to its body and transferring the positive energy to your target.

Within its skeletal structure you see the energy blossom into a raging inferno, a cascade of power tearing through it, unravelling the web of negative energy that gives it unlife. Within seconds, golden flames are blazing in its eyes and mouth, spilling through every gap in its fused bone body; then with a sudden and decisive violence it explodes, bone shrapnel flying in all directions and disintegrating as it goes. A cloud of fine powder brushes against you, then it too disappears. Of the nameless undead horror, there is no further trace.

Pran meanwhile takes your encouragement to heart, striking the bodak with his enchanted staff. It is a solid blow, and deals a slight injury to his undead opponent, but Pran's movements are painfully slow in comparison with the warriors you have fought alongside. Fortunately the bodak is unable to land a blow past your defensive spells; it may take some time, but eventually Pran will wear it down. As long as your magic holds out, at least.

The Cabal mages cry out in dismay at the sight of their greatest asset being destroyed. Desperately they start casting their own spells, a barrage of magic they clearly hope will kill you or force you to withdraw.

Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Three Fireballs (DC 16 Reflex) : damage is (5d6)[20], (5d6)[15], and (5d6)[17]

One Ray of Exhaustion - clear miss.

The last mage conjures a wall of ice in a 10'-radius hemisphere centred on you. Through the translucent barrier, you see them running towards a boarded-over window in the rear of the warehouse; if they can prise away the boards, it would be large enough to escape through.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind watches as this nameless undead before her starts to unravel at the touch of Kirest's light. Bursting into flames, that turn its very bones to ash and dust, leaving nothing behind but a simple memory of what she had faced, something she would have to write about so future generations of priests and priestess would know about and how to deal with. However that was in the future, and this was the present.

Taking a moment to look at Pran she notes while he is able to hold his own against the Bodak, it is mostly due to her own protections and not his own skill. He would likely win his battle, but it would be long and drawn out over time. Getting ready to interven she stops as the three mages grab her attention once more by hurling their own spells at her. Two firey explosions stop short of her, flowing around the invisible barrier that stopped all spells a novice would be able to cast with ease. However being blinded by the flames dancing around her aura she was unaware of the third spell and soon found herself trapped in a ball of ice, watching as the cultist's tried to escape.

"Pran stay close to me, they are trying to escape." Sister Rosalind calls out before summoning a quaterstaff of pure light into her hands. "Kirest lend me your strength and allow me to break free of this confinement!" she says, finishing the spell as the quaterstaff smashes into the wall of ice surrounding her with the force of a thousand suns, fuled by the golden light that constantly shined around her.

Spoiler: Lucent Lance
    Show
    (14d6)[55] damage to the wall (if it somehow survives I will be impressed)

As the wall comes crashing down in front of her the priestess of the Lovers steps forward, making sure to keep Pran within the confines of her protective Aura (20ft). "I am tired of these games, tell me where is the prison holding Melchizar. Surrender and this will be easier for all of us, refuse and I will make sure you live long lives, and when at last you go to rest in the great beyond, you will be buried on the holy grounds blessed by the Mother and Father. You will never see the reward the Betrayer promised you." Sister Rosalind says, not sure if her burying them in cocnsecrated grounds would stop them from going to the Betrayer, but hoping the fear that it might would at least stop them.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Torc nods. "I hope you forgive the cloak-and-dagger precautions before, but you will have guessed that Amborun is allied to our faction. The concern is always that he might be under surveillance - arcane or pedestrian, either is possible. So I would ask you to be circumspect in your dealings with him; but if you make him aware that you have matters to discuss, he can arrange a meeting."

Show
    The cultist hoists the boy over his shoulders in a fireman's lift, grunting and straining with the effort. He stumbles the few steps to reach your side, and you teleport together back to the palace.

With no way to monitor your constructs now they are out of sight, you can only hope they managed to bury the demon beneath a mountain of rubble; but even if they did, you doubt that would be enough to kill him.

For now, you have a rescued cultist, an unconscious rescuee, and a dominated Palace guard to concern yourself with - and who knows how many guards to get past on the way back out.

Show
    You see nothing out of the ordinary and have no reason not to continue your conversation.

16. - Top - End - #466

Show

"They're enemies only in circumstance, it's unseemly to wish suffering on the unknowing foe. Tell me, under which school of covert warfare did you learn? Because I am unaware of any that would pass a student for announcing their plans while in custody. Do you have any idea what methods they could use to listen in on you?"

Hesa turns away from the cell.
    "You'll be out either if I can arrange it now or sometime around tomorrow night. You'll probably hear when they arrive."

Jauren seemed a bit too wild and vicious for Hesa's tastes. But he was an agent of Feronax. If he could be freed her could be set on assassinating the military command while Hesa focused on the fleet. He decided to stay and talk to Jauren a bit further, he presumend he had already gotten all he needed to but the guards might find it odd that he ended his reason to visit so early to visit another prisoner.

Show

Yara breathed a sigh of relief on arriving back in the palace. Her demon was too powerful to fight alone. She would need to bring in allies the next time she encountered it. The constructs down below would be spending their remaining time trying to bring down the roof and prevent the demon leaving. She doubted they would succeed but hopefully it would wound the demon enough to drive into hiding for a bit.
    "Well, I'm going to need you to hand over the boy now," she said to the cultist, remembering she had brought him. "And you're going to need to explain why you were freeing him."
    She has her dominated guard on stand by to protect her if the cultist attacked, but doubted he would. She was more concerned with getting everyone past all the palace guards, her and her dominated guard were easy enough but trying to leave with a cultist and a kid would draw attention.

17. - Top - End - #467

Gunn nods, and inspects the helmet again, then puts it back in the satchel. Judging by the hour it is too late to do anything else, so when the show ends, he walks back to his office to rest.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2018-12-15 at 08:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

The daughter, demigods, tariel, the tablets ... It all runs through Theo's mind, and at the same time he couldn't get it out of his mind that Tariel mentioned Traitor's Leap. He decided to look for the term Daughter, hoping that it tied to the demigod(dess) somehow. And Traitor's Leap, it must be important if Tariel wants me to know of it. He skimmed for those terms while waiting on his next meeting to begin.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The Cabal mages watch with horror as you shrug off their most potent evocations and blast effortlessly through the frigid barrier they had conjured.

The one who cast the Wall of Ice takes a step forward, the others instinctively drawing back. It seems he is something of a leader among them.

You study his features: emaciated cheeks and hollow eyes, as though he actively sought to emulate the appearance of the undead; head shaved bald; lean, long-limbed build; and black robes embroidered with crimson sigils, fastened at the throat by some kind of bone clasp.

“Rosalind Bodakslayer. Is that the best you can come up with? To threaten us with long lives and peaceful deaths? Truly, yours is a weak creed. All your power, and you refuse to use it. That is why Torae will fall, and He will rise.

“You seek Melchizar? Be careful what you wish for. But you will not find him anywhere in this plane.”

Turning to the others, he tilts his head to beckon them.

“Come. She is no threat to us: her vows will not let her harm the living. Let us leave her, and find some other place to work our Lord's will.”

So saying, he starts sauntering towards the door behind you - then stops abruptly, drawing up short as Pran imposes himself in his path. He holds himself with a new confidence, and there is something strange in his hands, a flail of black fire - pure, undimmed negative energy. Glancing back, you see the bodak lying dead; how Pran has accomplished it you cannot guess, but he seems to have ripped the animating force from it to shape this weapon.

“In the name of Torae, I say to you: no more! No more shall you steal the sacred fire to turn innocent victims into these mockeries of Her Chosen! No more will you work the will of the Betrayer in this land, cutting short the lives of its people before their time!

“You mistake my Sister's regard for life as weakness. It is not: it is her strength. But we serve two gods, creature of the Betrayer. One is Life; the other, Death. And I do not share Rosalind's strength.”

Taking in the boy's youth, the Cabal mage smirks wordlessly; but Pran stands firmly in his path.

Show
    Jauren curls a lip at your words. “These lickspittles? They don't have the faintest idea a war is coming. They don't begin to guess we might be agents of a hostile power. And from what I can tell, they don't let mages get involved in criminal matters. So the odds of them somehow listening in are very long.

“But if they are: so what? I am proud to serve mighty Feronax. If I must suffer for my allegiance, so be it. I'm not here as a guerilla warrior; I'm here to hunt down a traitor to our cause.

“Still, you think you can get me out now? I'd be more than happy to aid you in return, the better to prove my value to Him.”

Show
    The cultist shakily hands the unconscious boy over. Running his arms, he answers your question:

“Not that complicated really: that thing the Master turned into was killing my friends. You were trying to stop it, and I figured you were there for the boy - so I guessed helping you would be the best way of surviving.

“Damn. If that's what Maltur wants from us, killing our own for the slightest thing, He doesn't sound so great as the Master made him sound.”

Show
    The journey back to your office is uneventful, although you cannot quite suppress a feeling of relief on sewing the office building still intact. Either Garrote has not made a move against it, or the precautions you put in place defeated him.

Office hours have long since passed, and Lora is not on duty, but Alan is standing guard with a number of your enforcers. He greets you with his usual mixture of respect and friendliness, but picks up on your mood and makes no effort to delay you.

Your bed waits invitingly, and once you fall into it, sleep is swift in coming. If you dream at all, you have no memory of it in the morning.

Day 13 - Four Days Remaining

Show
    Focusing on the phrase “Traitor's Leap” proves fruitless. The word “daughter” leads to an irritating number of false alarms as various references to individuals’ children catch your eye.

But you finally open the last and slimmest volume in the library.

This is the journal of Brother Obren, Lord Commander of the Templar Order and, sadly, acting High Priest of Charis in New Ganthar in everything but name.

I had not intended to add to this record myself. I have not the standing to do so, not unless and until I formally ascend to the rank of High Priest. But in attempting to trace a particular incident in our histories, it became clear to me that these journals are nearly useless without some form of index. So perhaps I might do some good by compiling such an index myself.”

There follows a table, listing the journals in chronological order, the names of their authors and dates covered, and an incomplete column in which Obren had begun to summarise key events mentioned in each journal.

Your eyes are drawn magnetically to three instances of the word “Daughter.” The first is in the fourth volume, which you have already seen, but the other two are new to you:

Vol 11. High Priest Kanet. 116-124 BF. Covers: the slaadi incursion; the Daughter heresy; the Northfold-Highwater War.

Vol 20. High Priest Michel. 1 BF - 25 AF. Covers: Fall of Old Ganthar, exodus to New Ganthar, war with native tribes, establishing New Ganthar, discovery of the Tomb of the Daughter, the search for Aenar’s Heir, Michel's gradual decline.

You are about to follow those up when there is a knock on your door. It is Pel, accompanied by Shauren. Perhaps research will have to wait.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

"That is the difference between those who follow the true path, and those who follow a false god who had to steal his power to become one. Just like you now, pretending to be an undead, thinking if you look like them you may one day be like them. Life is a gift, and protecting life with all the power given to me takes a lot more strength then ending it. If I choose I could easily slay you for your blasphemy with the touch of the Mother's will and bring you back as a servant like you did to those creatures I so easily just took care of. Instead I try to reason with you, remind you that life is worth living." she states calmly, not a threat but a statement for she could indeed do all of these things if she so choose, but she would no longer be true to herself, or her devotion to the Lovers in doing so. "I thank you though for allowing me to know where I must go to free Melchizar. For their is only one place I can think of those who follow the Betrayer would be fool enough to hide him, and I have already been very close."

As the leader of the mages turns to his others to leave the priestess is about to continue to stop him, and thus make the rest give up when her attention is drawn to Pran, the dead Bodak besides him, and the weapon of pure negative energy in his hands. "Thank you Kirest and Torea for showing Pran what you wish for him." the priestess says in a whisper as she looks on and listens to her apprentice. "And there is one more thing you fail to understand about OUR gods and their power." Sister Rosalind says with a proud smile as she goes to stand besides Pran. "They have been worshiped in an empire for a long time, we have learned a few tricks." and so saying this a chain of golden light shoots out from her palm and wraps around the mage calling the shots, tying him in place as well as constricting around him.

Spoiler: Constricting Chains
    Show
    The creature is entangled, taking a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to effective Dexterity. Moreover, the chains are anchored to the nearest immobile object (usually the floor), preventing the bound creature from moving. An entangled creature attempting to cast a spell must succeed on a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) or lose the spell.

But wait theirs more (3d6)[10] Nonlethal damage that is unavoidable, each round until I tell them to stop.

Looking back to the other two mages she repeats her terms of surrender to them as their leader stands, tied in holy chains of pure light slowly constricting around him. "You have heard my terms, and can see what the cost of refusal is. Surrender and I promise you will face a fair trial for your actions. Continue to refuse, and my Brother and I will have to restrain you and bring you into the authorities once you are unconscious. Either way you will be leaving with us."

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ettin in the Playground

Lady Shauren, Pel, come in. I hope you two have had an opportunity to meet before now. I've asked Pel to attend us and observe our meeting, Shauren. He motioned to have Shauren sit and the acolyte to pour waters before sitting as well.

Theo went to his bag and removed the hammer, the one given to him by the dwarven emissaries in battle. It linked them as brother's in arms, and Tariel said there was a way to reach out to them. I want you to understand that even though I respect our differences in faith, but under this roof, it is Charis who rules the roost. Everything said in here is kept in the confidence of those in attendance and Charis Herself. What we talk about is of cosmic importance, and I need to hear you say that you swear to keep everything between us.

After getting the necessary assurances, he placed the hammer on the table. I don't pretend to know how well you understand our scriptures, but I'll be brief. The first Chosen of Charis was Tariel, who is of great significance to our faith. He had visited me in my dream and informed me that the dwarven official who had given this to me had left me a way to contact him. He had teleported away with great haste when the last chancellor threatened his safety and has since been impossible to contact. This hammer is the only thing he had given me. I need you to inspect it and find out what you can.

Second, I was also informed by Tariel that the way one of our last Lord Commanders was slain has prevented him from joining Charis in the afterlife. He was killed when a number of Vrocks were smuggled passed our defenses and imvaded our temple. I need you to research what method has prevented him from moving on to the spiritual world, and how we can free him.

Finally, as the arcanist of this temple, I must pose a question.
    Theo stood up and turned away, crossing his arms and looking out the window. What do you think about prophesy?
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Pel sets about looking for a task he can usefully perform, and settles for serving tea and coffee. For Shauren's part, to her credit she does not hesitate before waving away your concern.

“I will keep your confidences, Father. I swear it.”

Listening to your list of tasks, she accepts the hammer and the responsibility for Obren's soul with similar solemnity, then turns her thoughts to your question.

“Prophecy? It means different things to different people. Historically prophecy meant speaking the word of the gods. A prophet was as likely to speak of current events as he was the future, if not more likely. In that sense, there are many documented cases of mortals being used in that way by the gods.

“But I suspect you mean it in its narrower sense of a revelation concerning future events. And that is much more controversial.

“We know some deities are capable, by various means, of anticipating events in the future. Charis is perhaps the most famous example. It is not inconceivable that a deity with advance knowledge of a future event might choose to reveal that information to His followers.

“But we must be wary of such prophecies, for several reasons.

“The first is fraudulent prophecy: individuals who falsely claim to know the future. Perhaps they are deluded, or actively trying to obtain some personal gain by appearing wise. History features far too many of these.

“The second is false prophecy: where a god deliberately gives an untrue revelation to a mortal. It is said that Kaithrax has done this from time to time, to cause suffering and discord.

“The third is misinterpreted prophecy: where a revelation is true, but the prophet has interpreted it to mean something that isn't.

“The fourth is self-fulfilling prophecy: where a god reveals something in order to make it true. Depending on the source of the revelation, this can be good or bad.

“The fifth is the simple fact that gods reveal things for their own myriad purposes, which might not be obvious. For instance: it is said that a prophet once warned a king that his kingdom was about to be invaded. The warning was true, and the king was able to gather his army and repel the invasion; but the king himself died in the fighting, and his kingdom fell into the hands of his scheming brother - a worshipper of Valacles.

“And the last is this: a prophecy might be perfectly true, correctly understood, meant for our good and useful in informing our actions - but still not be meant for the present time. Aenar, it is said, spent the last years of his life striving to bring about the events in a particular prophecy, but failed; later scholars concluded he had been wrong to assume he was the one of whom the prophecy spoke.”

She seems to realise she has launched something of a lecture, and gives you an apologetic grimace. “But presumably you have something specific in mind, to ask that question?”

Show
    The Cabal mages look from you to their chained companion, momentarily stunned by the ease with which you overcame their leader. But it is a distraction that lasts only a second before they are bolting for the door.

Show
    Rosalind can deliver an attack of opportunity if she so wishes.

Pran reacts instinctively as one tries to pass him, lashing out with the negative energy flail in his hands. The weapon passes through flesh and bone as though it were insubstantial, but the man collapses like a marionette with its strings cut, instantly lifeless. The flail vanishes, however, seeming only to be usable once.

You manage to strike one trying to slip past you, a well-aimed blow that immediately knocks him unconscious.

The last mage makes it to the door, throwing it open. Pran turns and, seeing the man about to escape, touches the holy symbol at his throat with a grim expression and gestures with an upraised palm; a column of black fire erupts from the ground beneath the fleeing mage, burning him to a crisp.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

As the group begins bolting for the door, Sister Rosalind quickly tries to disable one as they pass her hoping Pran did not need to use the weapon he was wielding now. She had hoped taking care of their leader would stop them from doing anything foolish, however it became very apparent this was not the case as golden ice like crystals begin to cover the body of the mage she strikes, filling him with a cold that goes all the way to the bones.

Spoiler: Improved Unarmed strike
    Show
    (1d20+17)[26] nonlethal damage (1d3+3)[5] Plus Touch of Golden ice which makes them raveged by golden ice if they are evil (1d6)[4] dex damage secondary (2d6)[5] dex damage

Sister Rosalind watches Pran strike out against one fleeing next to him and watches as the flail seemed to pass through the persons body, she suspected he had somehow found a way to shape another spell into a weapon, but she wasn't sure as she watched it vanish, and the soul leave the body of the one he attacked. "Pran please restraint!" she calls out to him as she sheds a single tear for the man who was now dead, he was an evil person yes, but no one deserved to die in such a manner, especially without being shown a different way of life.

Spoiler: Trying to ID the spell
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+1)[13] ....I don't want to talk about it lol

Wanting to make sure Pran did not kill anyone else Sister Rosalind quickly called forth her powers, asking Kirest to hold fast one of the fleeing mages as she chased after them along with Pran, the leader still tied up and being constricted by the chains.

Spoiler: Spell cast
    Show

Move action to follow
    Standard to cast Hold Person Will DC 23 to escape
    Free Action to try and keep alive one of the people Pran tried to kill with one of her darts of life (1d8+42)[48]
    Free action Chain (3d6)[12] nonlethal damage to leader

Show
    I thought there were only three mages, the leader, and the two followers, meaning if I took out the leader, and if my attack hits the second it is doubtful he will get far due to golden ice. Yet you make it seem like I took out the leader, Pran took out one, and then there are more still as the whole black fire which seems a lot like flamestrike which damn pran but still

24. - Top - End - #474

Show
    "So, you decided to jump ship out of self preservation?" Yara laughs. "Well, I can respect that. Though, considering the recent suicide attack by the Malturites on the dwarven ambassador, I can't believe it seemed like a good idea. How did you get mixed up in all this?"

So, the cultist was only doing this to get out alive. Had he really decided to rethink his faith in Maltur, would he lapse back into it later or was he just pretending.
    "I'll get you out of the palace, but I'll need to decide what to do with you. What are planning to do with your life now?"
    Spoiler: Sense Motive
    Show

(1d20+2)[7]

Show

Hesa nods with a bit of approval.
    "Well, I suppose that is reasoning. The city seems to treat mages as some special sort of noble class and keep them separate from daily occurrences. I have seen places whose architecture can carry voices to specific locations, but you aren't under much suspicion."
    "You're dedicated and loyal agent of Feronax, admirable traits. I'll be speaking with the officials at the prison to see if I can get you released."

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo thought to tell her about the tablets, but he felt like the timing wasn't right. Pel wasn't ready to hear of them.

But there were other prophesies to speak of.

The lich Shroud was familiar with me for a long time. He was among a team dedicated to stopping a prophesy from happening, and in so doing murdered my father, mother and sister. They had hoped to kill off the entire family but I had escaped. I suspect it has to do with prophesies tied to the Heir of Aenar. I need you to research all that may apply to the prophesy they tried to interrupt all those years ago in Petravale. I suspect that it was part of a series of Shroud's plans, and so I want you to investigate any other actions he had undertaken. I aim to burn away every trace of his corruption.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Show
    In post #443 I said there were four mages. Which would mean with the leader down and Pran having killed one with his AoO, there should have been two left.

You took one down with your AoO, which just left one - who would not have had enough actions to open the door and then run outside.

I had it in my head I'd said there were five, and described the scene accordingly. So I'll edit my previous post.

Looking from the slumped form of the Cabal mage you just knocked out, you see Pran conjuring a deadly pyre to swallow up the last mage before he can escape. Your reaction is as instinctive as it is instantaneous: hurling a dart of positive energy at the charred figure, healing his burns as fast as he sustains them, returning him to health and vigour.

Wild-eyed, the mage staggers to his feet and is about to resume his panicked flight out of the door - when you cast your next spell, compelling him to stand motionless in place.

Pran is on the point of charging after the man when he realises what you've done. Pausing, he takes a moment to refocus his thoughts and turns back to you, sparing a glance along the way for the leader of the necromancers now unconscious at the heart of your spell construct.

“Restraint? Like the restraint they showed here?”
    He gestures, encompassing the mounds of corpses on all sides of this macabre slaughterhouse. “This is wrong in the eyes of both our gods, Sister. An atrocity. And had they escaped, they would have gone on to do the same elsewhere. They said as much, for Kirest's sake!

“I've said it before: you have the luxury of pulling your punches, because you're so much stronger than the people we fight. I don't. And after what just happened, I'm not convinced Torae wants me to.”

He stops speaking, eyes glistening as they rove over the bodies strewn around him. Haltingly, he kneels beside the closest, holding a hand over its chest - it is too badly mutilated to identify gender - and murmuring a prayer to Torae for the soul who once occupied it.

He then moves on to the next. It is clear he means to do the same individually for every person murdered by these cultists; tears are streaming freely down his face now, and when he glances at the Cabal leader, it is with an expression that you have never seen on his young face: pure, vengeful hate.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind listens and watches Pran, she can see he is frustrated and wants revenge on these people, and the thought crosses her mind if it was still to early to bring him into the field like this. However she knew from the powers he displayed this was what the Lovers wanted for him, and she alone could not always be at the temple to take care of all the problems. When he was finished she looked at him, before looking to the captives. "And if we show them the same restraint they show us, if we treat them the way they treat us are we any better than they are Pran? I do not condone your actions, however I do not want you to see this as the only path. Violence begets violence in the end, and if all you do is kill you will never be able to save the lives that have not yet crossed that line because they will think you only wish to kill." she says patiently to her pupil.

"Had they gotten away Pran, you saw as well as I that the fight was already over when their leader was restrained. They were fleeing in fear and rightly so how you wielded that flail. It is a power I have not seen before, nor read about. I do not fault you however for using it on the one who tried to flee, it was the only thing you could do to stop him. However calling forth the black flame was a bit much." she points out, "You must keep a cool head especially if you are in combat Pran. You say you serve the Mother, that is fine. But know the Mother while she represents death, it is the warm welcoming kind, not a violent one filled with rage."

"You believe yourself weak Pran, if not for me intervening you would have two lives on your hands instead of the life of one person. The gifts we are given by the Lovers are tools, and you have shown a great aptitude for them this day, far beyond even what I thought you capable of. However with great power comes great responsibility. To throw that power around and say it is what the Mother wants because you were able to do it is not much different than what the Betrayer and his followers did. The Mother did not stop them, though she could have because of free will. We all learn from each experience we take, I hope this one has shown you that you are more powerful than you believe." she says softly walking over to him and placing her hand on his shoulder.

While Pran prays over the bodies she knocks the last mage unconscious, making sure he will not be able to escape once her spell wares off before joining him praying over the deceased. "We can have a proper service for them once we are sure those that are still alive are taken to the proper authorities Pran. Can you go and get a few strong honest people, ask them to bring rope to bind these mages. We ewill offer those who help us a reward for helping us in this manner. And if we can find a cart for the bodies even better. I will stay with the prisoners, do not wader to far off though." she says to her pupil, hoping a little air will help him while she stands guard over the three surviving cultist, ripping off the sleeves of her dress to use as makeshift gags at the moment to make sure they can not speak, thus stopping them from using magic.

Show
    If you want I can roll a diplomacy check from Pran but I doubt I need it. Rosalind will search their bodies and remove anything that could prove dangerous/registers as magical. (Basically she is taking everything but their basic clothes off of them and placing it all in different piles) Praying once this is done for the souls to find their way to the Lovers, and for Pran to move past the stage he is at.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Shauren sips the cup of tea poured by Pel and tries unsuccessfully to hide a grimace at the taste. Giving him a forced smile, she stands and joins you by the window.

The window looks out onto the square at the heart of the Temple District. Out there, the morning bustle of people heading to their jobs or on some other errand is in full swing. The morning sun shines brightly from a cloudless sky, but there is a thin layer of frost to be seen, the remnant of a long, cold night. You can see several proselytisers of various faiths moving among the people, and beyond them, the looming structures of the temples to Relath, Endaris, and Maya are plainly visible.

“Aenar’s Heir? Interesting. You know, Aenar is supposed to have left many prophecies, but between the destruction of the Great Library and the Fall of Ganthar, only a remnant of a remnant still remains to us.

“But I spoke a moment ago of Aenar’s last years, spent struggling to fulfil a prophecy never meant for him. It was a prophecy dear to many Redemptionist hearts, for it speaks of Charis's eventual restoration to Her former goodness.

“The text of the prophecy itself is lost to us, but records suggest Aenar was criticised - posthumously - for not realising it would apply to some future descendent of his, not to Aenar himself.

“If Shroud discovered a copy of the original prophecy - if it does indeed speak of some descendent of Aenar restoring Charis to the Heavens - perhaps that would explain a campaign to exterminate Aenar’s line?

“But certainly I can research further, see if the phrase “Aenar’s Heir” comes up anywhere else. This temple has the most extensive library in the country; if there is something to find, I trust it will be there.”

Show
    The cultist looks around, taking in his opulent surroundings with some trepidation. The guard watches warily, hand on the hilt of his sword; the boy remains unconscious, oblivious to all that is going on around him.

“Honestly? I got into this cult because my friends did. Now they're dead because of it. So I don't know what I'm going to do. It doesn't really feel real yet that this has happened. I mean, that was a real, honest-to-gods demon, right? I don't think I really believed in them before, and now one comes along and does this.”

Your sense is that he is telling you the truth. Certainly you can find no reason to disbelieve anything he has said.

Show
    Jauren gives a slight nod of thanks. “Good. Now, did you have something you specifically wanted to ask me, or did you just come see me to work out if I'm worth freeing?”

Show
    Pran kneels back on his haunches, drying his eyes with the back of his hand before turning to regard you thoughtfully. “I… will think about what you've said, Sister. But I don't think Torae would have given me this gift if She never wanted me to use it. I will pray about it.”

With that, he hauls himself to his feet and sets off to follow your instructions. In the meantime, you set about divesting your captives of their possessions. You do find one thing that unsettles you: a wand fashioned from a child's finger bones, much like the one that caused Obren's death.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

"I only ask that you never use your gifts out of anger, vengeance, or greed Pran. In self defense I can understand, as well as defending those in your care. But YOU must be in control of your emotions before you do so. Striking out in anger or in vengeance will only taint you before the lovers eyes. she says letting him know she didn't expect him not to use his powers, after all he did not swear the vows or grow up as she had. She could not expect the same from him as she would a citizen of Pacem.

Once pran leaves the priestess checks the items, however when she finds another wand made from a child's bone she quickly wraps it up and hides it away so pran does not see. She would have to ask the temple of maya for help destroying this one.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Interlude

Driven by the storm, the waves thundered against the cliff as though pouring out the rage of an ocean-dwelling god. Tossed and distressed by that tumult of water, fragments of driftwood hurtle forth to their destruction, splintered on unyielding stone.

It happens again, and again: planks of flotsam caught by some freak of wind or current, rushing headlong from some maritime disaster to be dashed to oblivion by the forces of nature.

Lightning flashes, illuminating the macabre jetsam amidst the wreckage: dozens of bloated corpses, each that of a dwarf in the garb of Kharheim.

At the top of the cliff, looking down at the scene of maritime slaughter below, stand two figures. One is a dwarf himself, countryman to those below; a Kharheim native would recognise the dark skin tone, relatively narrow nose and eyes, and fiery red hair typical of the Bloodriver Clan, while most others would see only the distinctive pattern of dwarven runes tattooed down one side of his face. He wears a suit of chainmail, and carries a dwarven battleaxe.

The other is dressed in full plate, but has removed his helm, revealing red-tinted skin and small horns at the brow, hints of fiendish heritage. But his eyes are pools of sickly green light, and his hands clutch the hilt of a greatsword with feverish strength: an ancient weapon, frostrimed and ornate, lines of some ancient script etched into the blade and a number of jewels set into the pommel.

The latter speaks, the words sounding like a blend of two voices, one mundane, the other deep and terrible, reminiscent of the rasp of steel and the emptiness of the grave.

“Is it sufficient?”

The dwarf considers the wreckage for a time before answering, his voice cultured, even pleasant. “The Council stretched our treaty obligations to breaking point to send the humans aid - and the humans react by sinking the ship and murdering a company of dwarven warriors. Coming on the heels of their treatment of our ambassador… Yes, Nagor, I believe it will be quite sufficient.”

The fiendish warrior is silent for a moment. “Well and good. Too much has gone awry of late. Too many independent players on the board. And now this news of Shroud…”

“What of Shroud?”
    The dwarf is suddenly all attention, turning to face his imposing companion.

“He betrayed us, Dargun. Sought to use the ritual for his own ends. And in so doing, brought ruin upon himself. Shroud has been destroyed, his soul released to the life beyond, and most of the Cabal have been wiped out in the process.”

“Ah. News has been hard to come by while at sea, surrounded by those hostile to Lord Maltur. Well, Shroud was an asset, but in truth, his usefulness was coming to an end. And traitors should face such an end. But as for the Cabal… What you saw here was but the shadow of the true Cabal, a handful of humans taught a spattering of magic to make them marginally useful. The ones who taught them, who manipulated them from behind the scenes - they are our true allies. And they will be here very soon, unless I miss my guess.”

“Indeed? Curious then that I knew nothing of them. I trust your Master is not trying to work behind Lord Vlarath's back?”

“Perish the thought,”
    Dargun replies drily. He holds up a hand, however, to forestall further inquiry. “No, Death Knight, nothing has changed. We raise the Daughter of Charis, use Her to regain the Ways, and let glorious war sweep over every plane of existence.

“But it is one thing to speak of such things, another to accomplish it. The forces that bind the Daughter are of the Heavens themselves, and cannot easily be dissolved. Only now, with all our plans in motion and New Ganthar cast into a war on many fronts, is my Lord's influence in this place strong enough to make it possible.

“And what of your own part in this? Does this setback with the Cabal imply delay?”

“No,”
    Nagor replies, shaking his head to reinforce the point. “You free the Daughter; we will continue gathering the souls we need to control Her. This bloody, chaotic war should give us plenty of opportunities. All will be in readiness. And if the Cabal plays its part as well, then we will have a Captain fit to lead our combined forces to the gates of Death itself.”

The two stand quietly, reflecting on the raging storm. Abruptly the Death Knight stirs, walking a few paces away and returning with a solid oak chest.

“Your emissary did not come to collect these at the agreed time. Instead I had to fight the previous owner of this form. It is fortunate he had the avarice to claim my sword, and lacked the will to resist my influence. I believe some compensation is due.”

Dargun opens the chest, looking with reverence and longing at its contents. “Ah, my old ally, if you knew how long my faith has searched for these, you would know that they are beyond price. But my Master is building an army to fight in your own Master's war. I think we are beyond keeping a tally of such things.”

“Perhaps. But here, on the Prime Material, I have performed a service and would be rewarded. Not with trinkets or gold - I am long past the use of such things. But there is one on this island who destroyed my fellow Knight and my previous form. His name is Theodore Roost, Aenar’s Heir, the Champion of Charis.”

“You want me to have him killed? I would do that anyway.”

“No. I would have you leave him to me.”

Dargun looks at his ally with troubled eyes. “I do not like to put pride before strategy, Nagor. He could do much harm if left alive. The prophecy…”

“Speaks of five mortals,”
    Nagor interrupts. “Kill any one of them, and you thwart it. Choose another. Roost is mine.”

Slowly, Dargun's eyes turn back to the chest, as though drawn by some irresistible force. He nods his reluctant agreement, not looking at Nagor directly.

“I will not issue orders to spare him. If he dies in this war, he dies. But I will not actively plot his death.”

Closing the chest, he lifts it with a grunt of effort and turns to walk away. Suddenly he pauses, eyes fixated on a narrow strip of beach - and a single figure, bedraggled and shaking, who is struggling out of the sea.

Nagor follows his gaze, and grunts. “A stray thread, Apostle. You should cut it off now.”

Dargun watches the castaway, a faint smile playing on his lips. “No, Nagor. Maltur smiles upon us. This serves us far better - for who would question the motives of a shipwrecked captain, reporting the destruction of his vessel?”

So saying, the dwarf makes his way down to his waterlogged countryman, while Nagor turns and heads in the opposite direction, towards whatever dark and cruel purposes his unliving heart might hold.