New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

Sister Rosalind listens to all that is said and the battle between the mages, seeing a way to help Gunn she adds after his statement. "If this council does not see the wisdom in not having all of those gathered here there to determine if this Lich is a threat to them, why not allow Althazan as a member of this council who believes this threat be there himself? If it is truly not a threat you will all be aware of it between magical scrying and other ways of watching the events unfold, and if it turns out to be a threat you already have a member of this council there to make an opening for the rest of those who wish to stop Shroud to join in the battle." Sister Rosalind says making the last word stand out above all.

"As you all know I am no warrior, no holy person seeking glory in the battlefield. I treat the sick and injured and never condone violence against the living. The threat we face however does not care for the thoughts and dreams of the living, I am not sure if they even remember what it means to be mortal anymore to be honest. Back home undead were allowed to exist if they followed the Mother because she only allowed the souls of men and women who wished to protect the living to return. So far in New Ganther I have with the help of the other churches done my duty of trying to keep the undead at bay, it seems I have been fighting an uphill battle this entire time though. Shroud has had no doubt centuries of planning and preparations, and we have already seen two Knights of the Eternal Vigil as well as an Angel of Decay walk the same streets we live. I can not do this alone, for this is greater then any one person, it is the very life of the world on the line. The delicate balance that has always been maintained by the neutrality of magic itself. The same delicate balance that life and death share. Mr. Gunn knows where this will take place, and this allows you to not only see with your own eyes what transpires, but allows you to be there to decide what you do. The fate of the world is in the hands of this council right now, and future generations will remember the decision made. That is of course if anyone is still alive."

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Gunn, Perseus and Rosalind
    Show
    This time, Melissa speaks up before Abrogar can reply.

"Abrogar. Let us not divide the Council over this. They make a compelling argument, and their conviction is plain to see. What cost to us if we investigate and they are wrong? A little embarrassment, a wasted evening? I have endured both before, and miraculously, I am still here.

"But if they are right... Would you take the risk a vindictive neonate god could hold a grudge against us? We are the establishment now, old friend. The rogues resent us, as much as we ever resented the state."

Abrogar looks with some surprise at Melissa. He takes in Althazan's set jaw; looks to the other side, and meets Valeria's eyes.

"Hard to verify anything if an angry god has blasted us to dust," Valeria notes drily. "Honestly, Elder, if you wanted my support, you shouldn't have dragged out those tired arguments about politics and the rest."

He looks to Baleth, raising an eyebrow. The old grey-robed mage looks decidedly pale. "Oh dear," he mutters. "Can't we all just go somewhere far away and let things play out as they will?”

Abrogar looks back at the three of you, tilting his head slightly like a fencer acknowledging a point.

“It seems this Council goes to war. Fear not, Belath: I know your talents are not on the battlefield. Althazan and Valeria will go… And so shall I.”

He rises, prompting the others to do the same.

“Notify us of the time and place. We will be there. And we will see what we shall see.”

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    Asoryala looks thoughtful.

“It is hard to know how Niall will respond. He does not behave logically when it comes to you. But in general, he respects people taking direct action more than those who act through intermediaries.

“As for this burglary, it is good that nothing was taken. Certainly there could be a common culprit here as with the disappearance of the Chalice, but it would be unwise to assume that is the case. While the simplest explanation is usually correct, reasoning from insufficient data is likely to lead us into error.

“There are differences in circumstance. The Chalice disappeared from under the noses of two - arguably three - individuals with a vested interest in noticing such things and a degree of skill in observation. No one even noticed the theft until after the fact. That suggests magic, or at least skill approaching the supernatural.

“In contrast, this room was ransacked while unoccupied, in a rather crude fashion by the sounds of it, and without any profit to the culprit. A different modus operandi - and to such a degree - implies a different perpetrator.

“Still, if this person got past the Templars, they are either skilled or - perhaps more likely given their behaviour - someone known well enough by the Templars to escape comment. Troubling.”

Spoiler: Hesa
    Show
    Vaust’s eyes narrow dangerously. “You dare? You would insult me to my face, and think to get away with it?

“I will not let this pass. The Priestess is not here to save you.”

Using his elbow to secure the sword against his side, Vaust pulls off his left gauntlet and throws it to the ground at your feet.

“Take it up, if you be a man, and face me with cold steel in hand. Or prove your words are as worthless as a camel’s fart, and your honour the dirt beneath my feet.”

3. - Top - End - #93
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn allows a sigh of relief, then quickly resumes his composure. "Thank you for your wisdom," he says appreciatively. "We know it will be tonight. If we knew a more specific time, I would share it with you. The Vanguard has graciously agreed to monitor the Church of Valacles, and when Shroud arrives, they will raise the alarm. In the interests of immediate response, however, we will have patrols comprised of various clergy and other associates. I would suggest you supervise the surveillance of the site, so that you have a complete picture of what transpires--but, if you prefer, I will ask the Vanguard to notify you as well as myself, and High Priest Theo of Charis, when Shroud arrives on the scene." Gunn waits for the Council's response, and awaits to be dismissed.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hesa considers the man. Since Yara couldn't move the pillar, conflict with the Valaclesians was inevitable. Getting rid of one before the army showed would be useful. He had Vaust where he wanted him, but it was too soon.
    Bending down, he picks up the gauntlet and offers it back.
    "Tonight your temple will likely come under attack by Shroud. He needs the energy you hold and the artifacts my allies protect. A duel now would weaken both our forces. We both have the duty to protect what is ours. Will you jeopardise Natalia, your temple and your duty, especially when," he says "We won't have this duty tomorrow. If you will permit it, I will meet you for a duel on the morrow."
    He messages Yara through the crystal.
    Prepare to intervene if things go badly.
    What did you do?
    I was a bit too successful in getting his attention. We may be about to duel.
    %@!%^? You were supposed to talk to Natalia about Shroud!
    She isn't here, it seems. Get over here fast.
    What do you need me to do?
    I dunno. Maybe nothing. Improvise.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, the circumstances are different, but the objective was the same. Why break into my office and ransack the place for no material gain? What was desired wasn't here. What wasn't here that should be? Not the Sword of Tariel, that is known to stay on my person. And the burglar knew that I would be smart enough to keep the Lens in a protected place. Thankfully, I saw far enough ahead to not put it in the most obvious location, my office.

It may be a different individual culprit, but he or she is aligned with Shroud. Charis Herself said that the Chalice would soon be his, so we know that the person who stole it from under our noses is an ally to the lich. Unless there is someone else hunting artifacts, then the most logical conclusion is that Shroud sought to infiltrate our temple.

Theo gathers his things and begins to make his exit. I will have to be swift. We are running short on time before we prepare our spells for combat. I will take Ardaionn to go see Niall and give him his task for the night. Maybe my appearance will talk some sense into some that follow him down the treacherous path. You have done well. Althazan has agreed to join our ranks tonight. If he arrives before I return, I trust that you will help him remain comfortable. I know you lost a valuable spell book in Old Ganthar, it is my hope that he might allow you to look into his for tonight.

Theo bids Asoryala farewell for the time being and makes his exit, taking flight with the magical eagle that Charis provided him.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Asoryala looks troubled as you leave, but says nothing to stop you.

Taking flight on mighty Ardaionn, you watch the miles roll by beneath you as you approach the remote community of Greychapel. It is a small town, perhaps a hundred buildings in all, assembled around a lake north of New Ganthar. Set apart from the rest of the buildings is a walled enclosure, housing a sprawling single - storey mansion. The Cornelan Estate.

From the air, it is possible to see a number of tents, pitched in regimented ranks, on what would have been the far side of the estate for anyone approaching on foot. Earthen barricades have been erected and then carefully disguised, and you realise that this would have been effective in concealing this camp from view had it been seen from land.

Your eagle banks again, keeping the sun behind you relative to the camp below. He awaits your instructions, recognising that they may have changed now that you have seen this.

Spoiler: Gunn, Perseus and Rosalind
    Show
    Abrogar nods an acknowledgement and bids you farewell. One by one, the mages depart to their own tasks, while your guide waits to show Gunn to the meeting with Lydia. She pauses to glance at Rosalind, seemingly wondering if the Priestess will be joining you.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The secretary is a character you created, Esorscher, and I can't remember if you gave her a name?

Spoiler: Hesa
    Show
    Vaust gives a shallow nod, stiffly retrieving the gauntlet.

“Tomorrow, then. Dawn. I and my second will meet you before the Temple of Granig. That way, I won't have far to drag your body.”

7. - Top - End - #97

Once they have arrived at Lydia's office, Gunn thanks Kent Clerk, Council Stenography/ Secretary, and slips him a few gold in gratitude. He smiles at Lydia, and says, "Some of the Council have graciously agreed to observe tonight's events, and participate if they feel it necessary. Would you be able to alert them at the same time you alert myself, and Theo, when your Vanguard sentries notice Shroud's presence?"
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Before arriving at Lydia's office.

After the encounter with the council of mages Sister Rosalind knew allies would be few and far between, however she trusted Mr. Gunn to figure out how to handle the vanguard. "Mr. Gunn this meeting you are going to I was not invited and as such I will take my leave. However please stop by the Gleaming Rose, you to Perseus before tonight. I have something that might aid us there, however can not say do to the nature of what is happening." she tells the two of them, waiting to see if they had any questions and if not leaving, and making her way back to the Gleaming Rose.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Land and leave me outside the estate, my friend, and then take to the air. I will enter politely, but I want you to prepare to help me with a quick escape if I need you. Keep a watchful eye.

He stores the reliquary sword in his handy haversack while still in the air and takes out his old greatsword. He then dismounts upon landing, bids his eagle to the sky, then makes his approach on foot before knocking on the door.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

10. - Top - End - #100

Hesa nods at Vaust.
    "I'll see you tomorrow."
    With that, he walks away from the temple. He sees Yara hurrying along the street, in the form of a guard.
    Don't worry, I handled it, He sends her through the crystal. Where to now?
    Yara runs up to him.
    "Well, if we can't retrieve the pillar or talk to Natalia, I suppose we just need to prepare for tonight... come to think about it I handed some relics to Katraya a while ago. We can head to the temple of Maya to see how that turned out."
    "Very well then. Lets go."

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The door opens, and you are greeted by a middle - aged man in formal if outdated garb, greying hair combed across in an ill-advised attempt to conceal his baldness. The man’s tunic strains against a noticeable paunch, and the sickly sweet odour of alcohol fills the air around him.

The man looks you up and down before giving a sneer.

“Another Templar come to join us the flock,”
    he declares, with the careful inflection of someone overcompensating for drunkenness. “Lord Cornellan will be thrilled. Well, come with me, let me show you to the tradesman’s entrance. You're not traipsing filthy boots on my Lord’s floor.”

He steps out, pulling the door shut behind him.

Spoiler: Spot DC 15
    Show
    As he does so, you catch a glimpse of a handful of soldiers, Templars as well as others in unfamiliar uniforms, rushing into a sideroom.

“I am Seneschal Rand. This household is my domain. You and yours would do well to steer clear of it, boy, fancy gear or no.”

He drops his voice to a low mutter he either doesn't realise or doesn't care that you can hear.

“Never would have happened in his father’s day. He knew how to keep the riff-raff in their place.”

Spoiler: Gunn and Perseus
    Show
    Lydia greets you with a distracted wave of her hand, eyes on a crystal ball being operated by another Vanguard officer.

“Looks like the disaster’s been averted,”
    she tells you. “Looked like your Yara was going to throw herself into that planar rupture at one point. Then her soldier friend - what's his name? - got himself challenged to an honour duel by Vaust, Natalia’s bodyguard. Thankfully it’s been postponed until tomorrow. Not a good time to be depleting the Temple defences.

“So, what have we learned? It seems Natalia is absent from the Temple on some errand of her own, leaving Vaust as the only known defender. The inside of the Temple is screened against divination magic - but that's probably Natalia's doing.

“No one suspicious has approached the Temple from the streets. But I'm increasingly concerned that Shroud will use magic to gain access. If he teleported in, or gained access via a transitive plane, our methods of surveillance wouldn't detect him.”

Spoiler: Yara and Hesa
    Show
    With Yara taking the lead, it takes twenty minutes to reach Maya’s Temple, and just three to secure a private meeting with Katraya, the Guardian of the Temple.

The sorceress seems to guess your reason for coming, and produces a slightly disappointing hemp sack. From the size and weight, it couldn't contain more than 500 coins.

“The others agreed that your service to us, in returning that lost relic of our faith, was beyond price,”
    she says warmly, “But I hope this token of our gratitude will be welcome all the same.”

The mouth of the sack falls slightly open, and you catch sight of its contents. Not coins at all, but precious gems, sapphires and diamonds and rubies, pearls and others you cannot readily name. You cannot readily judge the value, but you recognise a fortune when you see one.

Spoiler: The value
    Show
    When Yara comes to cash this in, assume a buyer can be found easily enough, and that the price is 18000gp + (2d20 x 100gp) to represent a degree of randomness in how good a deal she gets.

12. - Top - End - #102

Gunn pauses, considering. "What about other magical ways to observe the interior? Do you have someone capable of teleporting in, invisibly if necessary, and casting an Alarm spell on the interior around the rift? Otherwise, someone capable of observing the rift--a change in it will likely indicate Shroud is present." He thinks about where Natalia might be, and decides. "I'm going to return to my office. Keep me posted, please." If there is nothing else, he returns to his office, hoping Natalia is there for their dinner date--but otherwise, to plan.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2018-06-29 at 08:11 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    With no one questioning your statement, you make your way to the Gleaming Rose. As might be expected, the hospice is bustling with patients being treated with methodical professionalism by Marglean and your other nurses and physicians. Pran is not immediately in sight, but you can guess where he might be.

On your arrival, Marglean signals for your attention - and points to a figure standing in the shadows, plainly very uncomfortable.

It feels like a long time since you last saw the High Priest of Kaithrax, but you recognise the long, torn robes the pale green of infection; the bedraggled, filthy mane of strawlike brown hair and matching beard; and the milky-white eyes. He eyes the healers with a mix of wariness and pity, then gives a shallow bow of the head when he sees you.

Spoiler: Gunn
    Show
    Lydia gives you a knowing smile. "That would be a clear violation of protocol, trespassing on a temple without a clear and present crime to justify our doing so. Obviously the record will show we have done no such thing.

"But if a third party should stumble across a potion of invisibility and a scroll of alarm, perhaps clearly labelled in the supply room through that door,"
    she points, "then that would be a happy chance. I think we will go and have a break now - I'm sure you can see yourself out?"

Some time later, you make sure you are at your office for the agreed hour. Fifteen minutes late, Natalia arrives.

She is wearing a long, flattering red dress, strapless and cut to leave her back and a scandalous amount of her bosom bare. Her only jewellery is a solid silver symbol of her god, sitting in the exposed triangle of flesh beneath her throat. She has coloured her hair golden - blonde and styled it to cascade artfully over her shoulders, back and chest.

Natalia moves like someone well accustomed to attracting every eye, with confidence and raw appeal. But for a moment, when she spots you, there is a crack in that facade: a slight glance down, a misstep, and her hand moves to her hair for a second before she brings it back down, clasping her hands together.

Walking up to you, she offers her hand and smiles at you - though you think there is a degree of uncertainty, perhaps even nervousness, in that smile as she waits for you to speak first.

14. - Top - End - #104

Lora shows Natalia to Gunn's office, hiding her dissatisfaction at the boss's choice of dinner guest. Gunn has used his belt of disguise to appear in a fine, well-tailored suit--gray, with a clean white shirt and navy tie. "Welcome, Natalia," Gunn says, gesturing her into his office, with Perseus guarding the door. And then, past it, through a door into his private chambers, a two-room enclave ensconced in the building. The first, a general, all-purpose room, with a dining table and chairs for four, a comfortable two-seat sofa and footstool, and a variety of art, both sculpture and painting. The table is already set, with plates of appetizers--bruschetta on one, a cheese plate on the other, and a small bowl of olives between them. A bottle of wine chills in the corner, and Gunn pours two glasses, one of which he hands to Natalia. "To our partnership," he says, locking eyes as he clinks her glass, and drinks a sip from his own.

"I'm glad you agreed to join me for dinner tonight," he says, offering her the plates of appetizers, "I'm curious, though--what made you say yes?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

As Sister Rosalind walks into the hospice she is immediately pleased to see that in her recent absence the Gleaming Rose was still running smoothly, a feat she would not be able to say no doubt if it wasn't for Marglean and the others who had come over the years to learn the art of healing. Smiling to the young woman she held great respect for she followed Marglean's finger to where it was pointing and was a bit surprised. Not that the high priest of Kaithrax was here, but that he had submitted himself to something he must see as a crime in his own eyes for so long.

Thanking Marglean she quickly makes her way over to the high priest and returns his greeting. "I am sorry you had to wait for me, I hope it was not to long, if you like we can go outside where you may be more comfortable given we are in the poor quarters." she says respectfully to the man, after all they had been so far on good terms with one another and she doubted he would be here for no reason. "What may I help you with today Brother?" she asks showing that in her eyes he was an equal to her even if they walked different paths in life their end goal was the same from what she had seen, and so long as it remained she would always help.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Thank you, master seneschal. Theo replied without going further. There will be a right time to introduce himself as Father Theo, but for now he is gathering valuable intelligence on the surroundings. If I may ask, you mentioned the riff Raff not staying in their place. Are there rules to be here that I can know now, so that I don't overstay my welcome? I do not wish to misrepresent myself or my Goddess during my time here.

Spot - (1d20+4)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Natalia smiles at you.

"For once, Thomas, I have no agenda - beyond wanting to spend time with you. Perhaps to see where things take us."

As you pass the appetisers, she starts asking you about yourself, your background and dreams, and listening to your answers with rapt, flattering attention. She eats as delicately as the food permits, savouring the experience and for all the world behaving as though there is no where she would rather be - and no one she would rather be with.

Show
    The priest of Kaithrax welcomes your invitation to step outside, and visibly relaxes as soon as you are both out of sight of the clinical environment within.

He turns to you, expression serious.

"Actually, I came to see what I could do for you. The Temple of Charis sent a request for aid with a lich mage of some power. It is not our practice to give aid easily or without cause - but I know this man Theo is a friend of yours, and you have earned a measure of my respect after enduring a measure of our burden.

"We have concerns of our own, of course, and our work cannot be long neglected - but I wanted to see where matters stood for myself."

Show
    The Seneschal scoffs. "Oh, so he wants to show respect? Get your friends of my Lord's land and stop this nonsense, then maybe we can talk about respect."

He has almost made his way to a door on the Eastern face of the building when Niall hurries into sight. He stops on seeing you, looking unsurprised but displeased, crossing his arms defensively.

"Sergeant Roost. Or should it be ex-Sergeant now? I hear you resigned.

"Here to talk, or to drag me back in chains? I warn you, if it is the chains, I'm not entirely friendless."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Listening to the priest of Kaithrax she begins to understand why he is here. "In all honesty I do not know what you could do to help, diseases to my knowledge do not affect the dead and from personal knowledge of having faced off against a few of his allies most of them seem to be undead of some kind or another. And given how little our churches interact I honestly can not say I would know how you could help more so than you yourself do." she admits to the priest unsure of how they could help. "I would ask you to save as many people as you could if that was the way of Kaithrax however it is not so instead I will ask you this. If we fail do not let those who do not follow your beliefs wrest control from you or all hope will be lost. The forces and gods of peace are not as strong as they once were, this is the time of the gods of war, which pestilence and disease are all powerful. As such if you will allow me, please pass on one of the burdens you bare so that I may share the burden with you so perhaps together we shall stand tall for the coming darkness. For if I fall I know there are those who may still save us, but if you fall as well I worry about the future of New Ganther." the red haried priestess says, offering out her hand to accept one of the mad gods diseases so that his priest could be ready for the coming battles that could soon be at his door.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

You are correct, I resigned from the Knights. One cannot lead a Temple and have his loyalties split. So now my proper title is Father Theo. Though I do not care for titles, I see here on official business, and so it is best that we observe them. Theo looks around to see who might be looking on, and makes sure to speak loud enough that they can hear. It is a shame you took off with so many of Charis's faithful so quickly. Our Lady appeared before us at the Temple when I returned with the Sword of Tariel. She was rather pleased, and She does so rarely appear before mortals. I'm sure you and those that follow you would have liked to witness our Goddess.

I am not here to arrest you, though I am displeased with your actions. I am hoping to build a bridge, not a wall, so that the faithful of Charis once again face our enemies as one. Asoryala had come earlier to initiate contact, and she said you agreed to play a part in tonight's attack against a lich who intends upon joining the ranks of the Divine, using sacred relics of the several faiths. While you do not offer to join us in fighting this significant threat, you have agreed to play defense of the temple. I have come to offer you a more strategic role, if you care to take it on.
    Theo says, hoping to tempt the man into wanting to hear more of the plan.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

Flattered, Gunn engages in an honest exchange of personal information, asking her similar questions to better understand her background and dreams. The meal is served, the wine is poured, and when the time comes to make his move, he does, and afterward offers to walk her back to the temple.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    The priest of Kaithrax smiles slightly at your offer.

“Would you do that, Rosalind of the Lovers? Even now, on the eve of a battle so central to your faith’s purposes? Do not think I denigrate the importance of that fight, just because my focus is on a different struggle.

“Well, perhaps you understand a truth we have long embraced: what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.”

His fingers grasp yours for a heartbeat, a contact that makes your skin crawl involuntarily, and then releases you. You feel no different, but can only imagine what new horror might now be lurking in your veins.

“You know, the Blight is revered by many demons. Not all who hear Maltur’s call elect to answer it. So I hear some things.

“I know, for instance, that a host of demons is assembling for war, a few days hence. They expect the Ways to be opened to them again.

“But the demons know nothing of any battle tonight. Strange, don't you think? So perhaps it is not part of Maltur’s scheme.

“Ah, but I see from your face you already knew that. Well, perhaps there is little I can do for tonight, after all. Maybe your friend didn't know much of us when he issued his request.”

Smiling easily, he waits to see if you have anything else to ask him.

Show
    A small number of Templars - five in your line of sight, and you sense more behind you - have gathered to witness the meeting between you and Niall. As for the former Lord Commander, he gives a lopsided smile and shakes his head.

“The very fact such things are rare - even unheard of - gives the lie to your words, Roost. Or perhaps not a lie - perhaps, giving you the benefit of the doubt, you have been taken in by those who would deceive and manipulate you to their own ends. It matters not. I am true to the Charis we find revealed in the scriptures; whatever conflicts with them, must be a lie.

“But our differences can wait. You tell me that the Temple and the Sword of Tariel are both at risk from a lich with aspirations to divinity. That is a grave concern indeed - sorry, no pun intended - one I am willing to lend my support to combating. But you have your own ideas how to use that support? Well, let me hear them.”

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

"I am but a single light of thousands more like me, if I die my empire will take up the mantle of protector once more, even if it is not how I wish it. However if you fall New Ganther loses any chance at staying alive, the churches of the gods of war will do as they have always done and wage war which will drag all others into. Where will Berun be, fighting against the Betrayer with Torae and Kirest? What of Maya? Most forget that the mind can be infected with a disease as well, and once implanted it can cause serious problems. It is my hope that if we fail you and your kind will live as you have always done so forgotten until needed. I don't mean this as an insult mind you but instead that it is your strength, you hear more from the shadows, and the mad god must have gone mad for a reason, after all insanity is a disease caused by something my people still have not figured out. Who is to say he didn't foresee all of this and tried in his own way to stop it? she says noting how the man admited he spoke to demons.

"I suspect High Priest Theo did not ask what each temple represented when he sent out requests for aid or what they could offer. I know little about your religion and have thus left you out of the fighting because you seem to be a lot better at learning things then others. And more trustworthy then the one Theo turns his ear to." she admits to him as they walk.

Accepting whatever punishment would come her way she nods. "And a burden shared among friends is easier to carry. Who knows, maybe the Blighter Kaithrax in his own eyes saw the blight as a way to make the people stronger for what is to come. We are all gifts after all, perhaps this is his way of trying to make us better." she notes with a note of surprise at the thought. "And do these demons know who is opening the way, or where? As for the battle tonight the only one that may serve Malture that might show his face is Krom. The lich tried to silence him, and as such made an enemy of him, having fought an angel of decay with him I would say it was a mistake, however this lich has dreams of godhood so who knows. Perhaps this is all a ploy to get us tired and weak."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Believe what you will. You saw how the sacred sword reacted to my touch, and you know Charis walks beside me. I know what you said to me, that in the end what you hold against me is that I walk the path of righteousness. After tonight I hope you are willing to look past that and see that we serve the same Goddess, and that She chose me to lead in these dangerous times.

I had hoped you would have shown up on the battle field earlier. We struck at Maltur - Lothrain, Natalia and I - without you. I hope the strength you saved will prove useful to Charis tonight. Let us remove ourselves to a more private spot, the eyes and ears of our enemy could be anywhere, the lich we fight is a powerful arcanist and no precaution is too much. Only those necessary for planning.

If Niall chooses to lead him away, then Theo allows such to happen. His next words are brief. My office was infiltrated when another High Priest, Tariq, was waiting for me to return from a necessary errand. He was knocked out and the room ransacked, in search of the Lens of the Mind's Eye. Nothing was taken, so I feel safe concluding the target of the raid. Luckily, I had it protected elsewhere. He said, cunningly keeping it's true location hidden. Good fortune for us, then, that we know that our enemy seeks more than what is absolutely necessary to complete the ritual. You have offered to help defend artifacts, and so that is what I ask you to do. However, I was seen openly visiting the other temples, and I am known for openly seeking alliances. I did so without hiding so that any eyes on me will have to make guesswork as to where it has been hidden. I request that you roam between them and our temple, at the ready to combat our enemy in the field. Were you to stand in one spot, they would naturally believe you to be guarding the Lens. This way, their attention will be split, indecision and doubt can cause them to give us an opening to deal a telling blow. I will ask that the Knights of the Soaring Eagle be prepared to do roam the streets as well, and to coordinate with you for maximum effectiveness. He leaves it at that, letting Niall respond as he wishes.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114

Yara looked at the size of the bag. She had handed in what was apparently a major find, so they wouldn't pay her so little. That meant that there wasn't money in the bag. It made her curious. Finding out that it was just gems was slightly disappointing as it was uninteresting but very useful.
    "Thank you," she says, smiling. "I don't know if you've heard of my recent death but this will go along way to recovering what I lost to resurrect myself."
    She tries to be sociable for a bit, before Hesa buts in.
    "I'm sorry to interrupt, but it was your temple that provided the relics to bypass the Lich's magic cancelling artifact. I was just wondering how it would affect creatures that are animated by magic."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    You speak of many things - of your past and hopes for the future, of your present endeavours and frustrations - but are careful to keep the conversation away from the conflicts facing the temples and the nation. For her part, Natalia seems glad to follow your lead in the conversation, apparently enjoying an evening free of the cares of her office.

She answers your questions about her life with remarkable candour. You learn that she was born into poverty, to a mother trapped in a life of prostitution and vice, and a father she never knew - who could have been any of a dozen clients. She had many siblings, but most died early, from malnutrition or disease or from walking into the wrong alley.

She learned early on that the only way to avoid their fate was to cultivate the favour of those in positions of power and influence. She was blessed - and when she says the word, it is clear she considers it a literal blessing - with several advantages: beauty, intelligence, charm, and a gift for deception. Not for her the life of the gutter; she soon realised that smiles and subtlety could get you far further than a willingness to spread your legs for coin.

She speaks of her mother with contempt, mixed with sadness. It is clear her feelings there are complex and unresolved.

Seeming to feel the conversation has taken a wrong turn, she skips ahead to life after she found Valacles. She offers wry character assassinations of several nobles and merchants, and over dessert tells an elaborate and probably exaggerated tale of having to quietly make her escape when a politician she was trying to influence received an unexpected visit from both his mistresses at once. Needless to say, they were not happy to learn of one another, and Natalia claims to have masqueraded as a kitchen maid to make her escape, with increasingly comic consequences.

The conversation lapses as you pour the wine, but underlying that silence is a growing tension, a sense of expectation and excitement that quickens your heart. You catch her watching you, and you meet her eyes, dark and filled with desire. A slow, sultry smile animates her lips, and you feel an answering surge of need that pushes aside all rational judgment.

The two glasses, one empty, the other half full, remain untouched as the candles patiently burn away the evening. For yourself, you are lost in a different fire, blood singing in your veins, and nothing in the world but the warmth of flesh against flesh, the ardour of her mouth, the haze of shared passion.

Afterwards, lying together with your limbs entwined, you offer to walk her back to the Temple. She grimaces, her free hand toying with the silver pendant still hung around her neck. It is the only thing she is wearing, and your chest carries the indent of the silver above your heart.

“Let us stay here tonight, Thomas. The world can take care of itself for a little while, and I’m not finished with you yet.”

But even as her hand traces a playful line down your chest and stomach, Lydia’s Sending demands your attention:

“It’s starting. Shroud and a small army are inside the Temple. I'll gather the Council and meet you there. Bring Theo, Rosalind and the rest.”

Show
    The priest of Kaithrax laughs aloud in genuine amusement at your words. “I doubt there is any benevolence in Kaithrax, Sister. There is a reason why we call Him the Blight, not the Blighter as you phrase it. He is in and of himself a cancer in the heart of the Planes, an evil that must be endured because it cannot be cured. His existence alone is a plague we all face. We suffer His gaze willingly, so that others do not have to, but never think that we do so out of love for Him. Well - most of us don't, anyway. The sane ones.

“Was there a time before He succumbed to madness? Our records do not speak of it. As far as I know, He has always been as He is now.

“As for the demons, those whose whispers reach my ears know no more than I have shared. They are the lowest of the low, seeking to curry favour where there is none to spare. They hear only what all demons have heard, what none trouble to keep secret.”

He starts to leave, then pauses. “I hear you fought an Angel of Decay? We take note of such creatures, for they spread disease wantonly in their wake. With that one destroyed, there are two left in the city. If I were you, I would expect to see them both tonight.”

Spoiler: Yara and Hesa
    Show
    Katraya looks thoughtful at the question.

“It would depend who created them,”
    she muses. “The magic of the Staff’s bearer is specifically exempt. So it stands to reason their own constructs would be unaffected. Similarly, those created by someone wearing a pin. But any other constructs… I think it would depend. My guess is that anything which would function in an antimagic field should be fine. But I'm hardly an expert - I'm basically a brawler, not a scholar.”

Show
    Niall shook his head.

“Neutrality is absolutely central to what Charis is. To try and alter that is heresy. And I cannot simply ‘look past it.’

“Still, I will agree to privacy.”

Leading you inside, signalling for the other Templars to wait without, he shows you to a small parlour decorated in outdated, garish style. There are two oversized armchairs, each reeking of tobacco, and he signals for you to take one while sitting in the other.

He listens to your plan, and rubs his chin thoughtfully. You note that a coarse layer of stubble now covers his jawline; it makes him look older, but also less civilised than before.

“The basic plan is sound,”
    he agrees. “But it seems to me that keeping them guessing where the relics are serves little purpose. What is it you hope - that they will divide their forces? Well, so must we. That they will not attack at all if they cannot be sure where the relics are? That depends how desperate they are, how likely they consider discovering the true location in time to be.

“Suppose you do encourage delay by this tactic - does that serve you? Will a sufficient delay increase your strength, diminish theirs, or provide a chance to avoid a fight entirely? No, no, and no. Our forces only weaken as we face ever-escalating threats. Theirs grow with every new corpse added to their ranks. And unless we can ruin all hope of performing the ritual, or perform it ourselves in favour of Charis, the danger will remain.

“Unless… is that your plan? Not to destroy the lich, but to seize the artefacts? Bold - even for you. If only the ritual did not have the potential to be abused, to be an instrument for maiming Charis to reflect your twisted ideal, I might support it.”

He pauses, thinking, then looks you in the eye.

“Asoryala tells me her price for helping you is that you entrust one of the artefacts to her. I will add my help to hers - in whatever role you want me - if I get to specify which artefact it is.”

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah but not all evil started out that way, a misguided step, a wrong choice, misjudged calculation. Evil is more often then not made not born, at least that is how myself and my faith have seen it. When we see a criminal in our empire to us it is a cry for help, and instead of harming them we try to listen to them and help them. Most of the time this works, though there are exceptions." she admits kindly to the man besides her enjoying their conversation. "And it is because of the sane ones that I have gotten to know you thankfully." she says genuinely as she smiles to him, considering him a friend.

"Perhaps at that time he went by a different name, perhaps in trying to stop the blight he saw as your religion sees only a way to make it effect certain people. And to protect others he took it upon himself. History is often forgotten sadly, and the truth will forever be a mystery. I like to think though that he is like you, someone who took a great pain upon themselves so that those weaker could survive. It may have drove him to madness, but his ideals live on through his sane followers." the priestess of the lovers says, looking up to the sky and noticing it was getting late looked in the direction of the docks, as if wondering when the time would come. "After all doctors often try to save their patients by odd means at times that seem insane to others who do not understand. Then again I am no doubt painting him in a different light than your texts do, simple a woman's curiosity is all." she adds, making it clear that it was her no doubt trying to paint a picture with only half the colors needed and filling in with different colors creating something new.

Hearing about the angels of Decay Sister Rosalind is clearly troubled. On one hand undead were not inheritently evil, on the other these two no doubt would want revenge for their fallen kin meaning they would seek herself and Krom out. "Thank you for the warning, I would like to say I will not destroy them if I do not have to, however I suspect that would only be a lie. No doubt they will want revenge for their fallen kin and will not turn away from their choice of leaders to follow the Mother of undeath." It is clear from her constant shivering that the priestess still has not fully recovered from the last encounter with the last Angel of decay and was worried about fighting a second even though she tried to hide it.

27. - Top - End - #117

Gunn turns slowly back toward Natalia, eyeing her suspiciously--then, shifting tack, sits back down on the bed and looks deeply into her eyes. "The lich, Shroud, is assaulting your church, with the intent to complete a ritual making him a god. If we don't stop him together, he will succeed. Join me, Natalia." (Diplomacy: (1d20+24)[39])

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

You think my goal tonight is to collect the power to revert Charis to Good? I have read the philosophies; I know that it would be a fool's errand. The threat to the Way between Worlds is why She fell from Righteousness, and to redeem Her would only cause us to witness Her fall once more. Unless you accuse me of having the power to change the mind of a Goddess. You see plots and mal-intent because that is what you already thought of me. It is this suspicion that I would hope you can look past, just as I look past where you have acted on your own self interest. The hope is to keep them delayed due to uncertainty, and to draw the allies of the lich out of hiding in the open. It serves to foil one of their key advantages, and to delay the attempt at the ritual. To delay them is important because we know that the lich intends to use the energy column that curiously exists in Natalia's new temple to Valacles. The longer we force the lich to delay, the better defended the site is. So yes, delay serves us very well.

Theo listens to Niall's counter offer and responds. To that I cannot submit. The artifact has already been decided, she will be receiving the Lens of the Mind's Eye. The other artifacts belong to other Temples, to which they will be faithfully returned once they are recovered, and the Sword of Tariel belongs with the Champion. Or have you forgotten that I hold that title, along with that of High Priest? Asoryala will be able to make good use of the Lens, I assure you, and the only artifact that will remain in my possession is the Sword.

Theo gets up and prepares to leave, signalling that he is done negotiating. You can be a part of this, or you can continue to stay out of the fight as you did against our raid on the Temple of Maltur. That is your choice. I hope to see you tonight when we prepare spells, preferably earlier so that I can inform Ilyen that you will be in the field to properly coordinate. And I hope you return to the Temple so that the two strongest warriors in Charis's army can fight alongside eachother instead of splitting Her forces in the darkest days. He walks to the door, but hesitates, turns around, and says one last thing. You claim to adhere to the demands of Charis, that we be neutral. You should know that days ago, when I cast Detect Evil, you resonated with an Evil aura. I do not say so to call you a hypocrite, but as a lesson. Charis blesses us both because She sees past Good and Evil, for Her great sacrifice was needed so that both could be on the same side lest all is lost to the whims of chaos. Theo leaves to allow Niall to ruminate on all that Theo told him. Perhaps he would change his mind, see Theo for the commander and leader that Charis asks him to be instead of the interloper who stole Niall's legacy from him.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

"Okay. I doubt that it will be possible, but we could manoeuvre Shroud to try and limit his allies. Those that depend on magic attacks won't be able to fight when we're next to Shroud, but he will likely keep his fighters near him. Will Shroud have any of the pins to allow his mages to ignore the field?"

When they finish discussing the staff, he remembers the undead weakness.
    "Does your temple have any holy water we could use to combat Shroud?"

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Show
    Natalia becomes very still, then stands abruptly, shrugging back into her dress. She stands for a moment with her back to you, tying back her hair, then looks at you resolutely. Her expression is all business, the moment having passed.

“That damned ritual. The sooner we find a way to stop it being used, the better. I'm with you - I have worked too long and too hard for that temple to let some glorified zombie steal it from me.”

Spoiler: Hesa and Yara
    Show
    Katraya shakes her head. “Not unless he's discovered a way to make more. There are only five, and I gave them all to Theo.”

Show
    The priest spreads his hands. “I would advise you destroy them, but it is hardly my place to tell you how to do your gods’ will.”

He looks to the sky, where the sun is setting.

“The powers of darkness rise, and the light hides its face. I've never understood that, you know - why the dark is seen as evil. But at least, I can see why the undead would be uncomfortable before the sun, a catalyst of life and growth.

“Whether or not the darkness is evil, necromancy is stronger in the night. I suspect the moment of crisis draws near. You should make any last preparations swiftly.”

Show
    Niall is transparent enough that you can practically read his thoughts, a refreshing change from sparring with the likes of Natalia.

The look of chagrin on his face when you speak of the Lens makes it clear he had some other relic in mind - but he seems curiously indifferent when you mention the Sword.

In your judgment, he will honour his word and give the aid he pledges - but you agree with Asoryala’s assessment that he is putting little weight on the threat of Shroud ascending to godhood.

And as for your suggestion that he registers as evil, he looks wholly unmoved by the statement.

“A masterpiece needs shade, as well as light,”
    he responds, in the tone of someone quoting a familiar saying. “Perhaps I am more at home with devils than with angels. That doesn't mean I want Charis to take sides. She is the Sentinel. Impartiality is in the job description.”

He looks to the darkening skies, and his expression grows somber.

“Time is short. We will make our way to the city at once. The people of New Ganthar will see that the true Templars defend them.”