New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

Theo chooses not to respond to the comment on true templars. Now was not the time. Instead, he headed to the temple to lead all the battle clerics of the night in prayer and to prepare spells. He also checks to see if the page he had sent out returned with the magical items he had requested.

When that was taken care of, Theo awaited in the largest room he could find for the allies to assemble. He also sent word to Ilyen to be prepared to roam the streets again tonight, with the aid of Niall and his forces.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Gunn uses the Sending Stone to send word to Theo, and dispatches a messenger to Rosalind's hospital. Then, he, Perseus, and Natalia, make for her temple.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Theo
    Show
    The page has returned, and hands over all the items you sent him for.

Your evening prayers are sober, filled with the knowledge that some who fight beside you will not survive. It culminates with a Sending from Gunn, advising that Shroud has arrived at the Temple of Valacles.

A matter of minutes after that, Gunn and Perseus arrive - accompanied by Natalia.

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    No sooner has the priest voiced his concerns than a young woman jogs up to you.

"Message from Thomas Gunn. The lich is in the Temple of Valacles. He - the boss, that is - is going to the Temple of Charis and suggests you meet him there."

Spoiler: Yara and Hesa
    Show
    Yara suddenly turns her head, prompted by something below the level of consciousness to look out of the window. The pillar of energy is visible anywhere in the city, extending up to the heavens, and to the naked eye it appears unchanged. Yet Yara knows, with visceral certainty, that someone is attempting to manipulate that energy.

It is not hard to guess who.

The ritual has begun.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

"Torae is the mother of Death, she welcomes us home when we die and as such Angels of Decay who serve her are welcome. Though in this case I doubt they serve the Mother and as such I will have to go into battle once more, something I do not take pleasure in. Their has been to much death and fighting recently. It has taken me away from the people I am trying to serve, I only hope that in time they will see why I was not walking the streets as I normally would, lending aid and food where possible." she says with a sigh knowing that it was hard to gain the trust of the people of the poor quarters, and her absence was not helping her.

As the messenger arrives Sister Rosalind looks back to the priest of Kaithrax, "Be safe and if I do not see you in this life again I hope the Mother shows you the way to the afterlife you hope for." Sister Rosalind says, bowing before calling forth Lady Amalthea. "I am sorry I was not able to keep my promise to you yet about having a nice little garden for you, but the lich has moved up his time table. We must go speak with someone before we make way to the temple of Charis." Sister Rosalind says as she mounts the magestic unicorn and they ride off to the temple of the lovers. Making her way to the inner sanctum she looks for her mentor. "I do not have long, it has begun. Whatever aid you can give me now please do so, demons are amassing but not for this battle. It seems the way between worlds is to be open to them once more. I do not know how, but if I should fall tonight our leaders must know." she says to her oldest and most trusted friend. Knowing he would do what was right.

Once her mentor was done saying what he had to, she departed, riding to the temple of Charis atop Lady Amalthea. Both in gleaming suits of pure white armor made of what seemed like the sun itself.

Spoiler: Spell cast
    Show

Lumonious Armor 13 hour duration
    +5 armor bonus to Lady Amathea
    Enemies take -4 to attack rolls against both of us
    Light shines off of us strong enough to counter a 2nd level or lower darkness spell(Does the radiance class ability double that?)
    (1d2)[2] str damage

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Spoiler: Rosalind
    Show
    Your mentor looks deeply troubled by your words.

"But why would Charis reopen the Ways to her sworn enemies? It makes no sense. I must report this intelligence, Sister.

"But as for your own battles this night, I grant you the blessings of Kirest, He whose fury burns against the Betrayer and His creatures; and of Torae, from whose power all undead are born. May They watch over you and preserve you as you reclaim a fraction of Her stolen fire."

Spoiler: Spells cast
    Show
    Rosalind is protected by the following spells:

• Death Ward (duration 34 minutes)
    • Spawn Screen (duration 17 hours)
    • Energy Immunity (cold) (duration 24 hours)
    • Spell Resistance (SR 29; duration 34 minutes)
    • Freedom of Movement (duration 170 minutes)
    • Greater Heroism (duration 17 minutes, 17 temporary hit points & other benefits per spell description)

Lowering his hand, he smiles encouragingly. "Our Gods are with you, Rosalind. You will prevail. Farewell."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

"Perhaps to save her daughter? Or the split between the temple at the moment, between good and evil weakens Charis enough that the enemies capitalize on the disorganization? In truth I do not know, I do remember what you said happened last time however the demons and the Betrayer almost made it to Torae's realm. With this third deity if he completes the ritual I suspect they will have enough power to face off against Charis and win opening the way." Sister Rosalind admits, troubled at the idea that this unholy alliance could make it to the holy realm of Torae.

"And what do you think of my unlikly ally in New Ganther? I am sure his presence here did not go unnoticed? It is through his help I have been able to learn what I have told you, and on more then one occasion he has helped our goals when he knew it was for the best." Sister Rosalind asks her mentor, not sure how he would feel about the dangerous road she was walking.

"I can feel them, and thank you. I only wish the others had meet me here like I had asked." the priestess of the Lovers says before placing her hand over her own suit of armor which envelopes Lady Amalthea as well as both of their suits take on magical properties. "Goodbye Father William, may the dawn rise again with a lich in full retreat." and with that she departs at full speed to the temple of Charis.

Spoiler: Spell Cast
    Show
    Magic Vestment (+3) on herself to grant her and Lady Amalthea (due to share spell) an additional +3 to their armor for 13 hours

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Shrouds at the pillar!" she cries. "He's starting the ritual."
    She hurriedly says goodbye to Katraya. When she leaves, she takes a few steps towards the pillar before Hesa stops her.
    "We need the others first," he reminds her.

They head towards the temple of Charis, preparing along the way.
    Spoiler: Powers Manifested
    Show

Inertial Armour: 9 Armour on Yara
    Astral Construct: Psi-Like with Fast Heal 2 and +4 Deflection AC
    Construct Health: (10d10+30)[79]
    Hesa's abilities last for less time, so he'll prepare later.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Leading his faithful in prayer and spell preparation, Theo is facing the grim reality that this was his greatest test to date. He may not live through the night. Demons he could handle, they were the natural enemy of his Goddess, but this was a lich who had been preparing for this exact moment for longer than he had been alive.

But it was also a lich who had killed his family. The brutality of it still rang in his mind like a sling's bullet hitting a bell. Theo may perish tonight, but the lich is not going to see morning. When the allied forces arrived, Theo took Gunn and Asoryala aside so that they may speak in private. He handed the wand of Private Sanctum to Asoryala to have her cast from it to take a necessary precaution. Gunn, this is the Lens of the Mind's Eye. He said once they were properly secure in the room. Niall and his outfit will be wandering between the temples that I had visited today, keeping at the ready that the friends of Shroud appear looking for this very artifact. The most logical location for it, seeing that it was known to be in my possession but was not found in my quarters, is some place I had visited that I am likely to trust. I am known to seek alliances where I can with other temples, so those are the likely targets. This is a calculated ruse to cause those wicked actors to delay or to show themselves in an open field. They have no way of deducing that it is in your possession. After this battle, you are to hand it to Asoryala for safe keeping and study. He said, aknowledging to the mage that he was keeping up his end of the bargain.

I brought you here for another purpose as well. This Shroud, he is the one who killed my family. When I was named Champion, Tariel granted me sight into the past to see it happen, possibly to prepare me for this moment. In the vision, Shroud admitted to act in the hopes of denying a prophesy, but what the prophesy said I do not know. I fear the chance that I may not live through the night, as this lich must know who I am and how he had failed in the past. Gunn, you are my first contact in this city, and since your resurrection have proven yourself dedicated to the assistance of the common people of the community. Asoryala, if I am to perish tonight, I would have you succeed me at this temple for the time being. We have no time, with the enemy at our door, to have another trial for the next High Priest, and Niall has shown that his self interest gets in the way of leading the Temple in the way Charis demands. As acting head of the temple, I want you to hunt down the lich's phylactery. Natalia knows of it's location, ensure that she and Lothrain find a way to put aside differences and hunt down the common enemy. Use Gunn for that end if he is willing, his tactical mind and silver tongue can prove a valuable tool in getting what is needed.

After hearing the others out, Theo drew the Champion's Sword and locked it in his gauntlet. It was time to face this enemy. Many will die, and possibly all of them. But the lich will not be allowed to enter into the ranks of the divine. Charis demanded this of him.
    Spoiler
    Show

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?

9. - Top - End - #129

Gunn resists the urge for a tongue-based ribald--time was already wasting. "Theo--put it in writing. Niall challenged your rule, he will surely challenge Asoryala's. If you die, I'll do what I can to see you brought back," Gunn says, putting the Lens of the Mind's Eye in his bag of holding. "Now, let's get going."
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There are scant minutes for discussion - last minute arrangements, reinforcing morale, and giving final orders - before you must make haste to the Temple of Valacles.

Part way there, you catch sight of Arbiter Lothrain, armed to the teeth and accompanied by nine Crusaders including Paragons Thardae and Talin - the latter seemingly none the worse for his recent death and Resurrection. Lothrain sees Natalia in your company, and exchanges a silent, disappointed glance with Theo before choosing a different route to the Temple. It is clear he means to fight his own battle this day.

On arriving at the Temple, you survey the scene. A triple ring of undead surrounds it on all sides: the outer ring made up of lesser creatures like zombies, skeletons and ghouls, little more than chaf by your standards but numerous enough to delay you; the middle ring of more imposing foes, including mummies, wraiths, bodaks and a couple of skeletal giants, a meaningful challenge to your allies if not to you; while the inner ring, thinly spread but significant, comprises true dangers such as vampires, a pair of dread wraiths, a devourer, and others of similar power.

Interspersed among the inner circle are black-robed mages, mostly humans but with a significant proportion of other races such as hobgoblins and drow.

Immediately in front of the main entrance is a too-familiar sight for Rosalind: an Angel of Decay.

For the moment, the defenders make no effort to engage you. Time, you infer, is on their side; hesitation on your part only plays to their strengths.

The building itself is sheathed in black and eerie green flames, a seemingly unbroken barrier to entry.

Natalia signals for an urgent conference with you, and points to the barrier.

“They have found and activated one of my defences. Contact with that barrier will kill any but the most hardy of mortals. But there are two ways to get around it.

“First, the energy column seems to interfere with the ward. There is a gap in the defences, 5 feet on all sides around the pillar. So a rooftop insertion would work - but that would mean leaving most of your allies behind.

“The other option is that I don't design defences to keep myself out. If I can get to the main entrance, I can bring it down. But that's not going to be easy as things stand.”

Almost the instant she finishes speaking, there is a low thrum of sound - much like a drawn-out note from a cello (Gunn’s bardic ear places it two octaves below middle C). It is accompanied by a rush of displaced air and a flash of azure light. When you have blinked away the after images, you see Elder Abrogar standing nearby with arms outstretched to each side, accompanied by Althazan, Valeria, Lydia, and two Vanguard officers. The archmage looks over at the defensive ring and gives a thin, tight smile.

“How courteous of them to pack our foes so close together,”
    he murmurs.

He looks at the group of you, recognising Rosalind, Gunn and Theo, and giving Natalia a shallow bow.

“It appears you have intruders in your new Temple, Sister. How may we best assist?”

Natalia makes a point of looking to the rest of you, gesturing to show she leaves the strategy in your collective hands.

11. - Top - End - #131

Before they leave:
    "Would I be able to have the Lens back?" Yara asks Theo. "It boosts my psionic abilities, I should be able to use it to maximise the destructive force of a single power."

On the way:
    Yara sends her psicrystal out to Lothrain.
    The fight is at Natalia's church, we don't have a choice with her presence. My crystal will stay with you, so we can coordinate.

At the temple, Hesa surveys the enemy forces.
    "It is the custom in my land to know exactly what resources you have before battle. It is a bit late, but what do we have to counter undead resistances? Slings? Blunt and slashing weapons? Holy water? And what spells have been prepared for battle?"
    He gestures towards the inner ring.
    "The enemy wait for us to act, a grievous mistake. I say initiate a bombardment focused initially on the mages at long range. Magic attacks and mundane ranged weapons. Keep the rest of our soldiers out of the line of fire until the enemy are forced to abandon their defensive ring. Their placement all around the building means their full force will be spread out and slow to reach us at full strength, but we should watch surrounding streets for possible flanking attacks. Their weak outer ring is made up partly of zombies. If we force them to abandon their positions, the zombies should be slow enough to either delay them or be left far behind. They want a defensive battle in which all their units can take a part, forcing them to move would disadvantage them."

Yara uses this time to contact her crystal to see Lothrain's current position and relay the position of their enemies.
    "Does the barrier prevent teleportation?" she asks Natalia. "I can get some of us in, but considering how I died last time I'll only do it if necessary."
    "I should be able to blow several holes in their ranks, but my offensive powers only go up to a couple hundred feet. Either they get close or we do. I can protect us from the worst of their magics though."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Natalia answers Yara's question with a shake of her head. "I haven't had a chance to ward against Teleportation - but if I were Shroud, I'd have done that as a priority. Unless you want to try teleporting in, bouncing off and materialising inside the wards, I wouldn't recommend it."

Through her psicrystal, Yara observes Lothrain and his team. They are delving through the sewers, pausing periodically to get their bearings. So far, they have encountered no resistance - but they have paused at a trapdoor above their heads, its surface rippling with the same eldritch fire that bars the other entrances. Stymied, they look uncertainly to Lothrain, who kneels in the fetid waters to pray.

Even as he does so, there is a skittering noise - and he looks up to see a dozen vampires crawling spiderlike along the ceiling and walls, accompanied by another Angel of Decay.

13. - Top - End - #133

At the last possible moment before they begin the battle, Gunn casts Haste, targeting himself, Perseus, Theo, Hesa, Yara, Rosalind, Lady Amalthea, Natalia, Vaust, Asoryala, Lydia, Althazan, Abrogar, and Valeria, unless any of them decline, in which case he targets the Vanguard Officers in their place.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

To Yara, Theo replies - I can not give that to you. The lich called Shroud desires it to complete this ritual, and so it has been secreted away to prevent it falling in the wrong hands. Theo says with ambiguity, in case Shroud was remotely monitoring the gathering. After which, I have agreed to turn it over to Asoryala for study and safekeeping. Perhaps you can make a deal with her. Mr Gunn is aware of the details, if you would like to dispute the terms of the agreement.

Spoiler: To edit soon
    Show
    I will edit in more when we have a plan set. I apologize for being busy or I would have talked more on it in the OoC ahad of time
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Theo accepts the defensive spells with gratitude, knowing that they are guaranteed to increase the effectiveness of the troops, likely to save the lives of a few lucky soldiers, and possibly save his own life as well. Anything that would increase the probability of success was welcome and necessary at this critical time.

And now it was time for him to lead. Woe be to the enemies that stood between the Champion of Charis and the lich who murdered his family. Only one of them will emerge victorious.

Theo begins with dividing the soldiers into designated groups, and giving them two sets of instructions. There would be a primary infiltration team, a secondary team, and a vanguard to attack those on the inside. We will come in waves. Rosalind, you are the most capable of the vanguard at fighting these undead. I give you command of the ground. Leave none standing, give no quarter. I know you have a vow concerning those that surrender - if any throw down their arms, segregate them from the rest and keep fighting. This enemy has been preparing this night for longer than any of us have lived, and I would not be surprised if any give a false surrender and attack with your back turned.

First team, you will come with me. We are to penetrate the lich's position from the roof,
    he says and he summons the eagle to his side. Those with the power of flight, activate it now. Those that cannot, team up with someone who can to be lifted up to the roof, then attach ropes around the hole with the energy beam. If flying under our own magics is not practical. Ardaionn will fly us up. He will then fly up the second team. First team sets up a defensive perimeter first so that the second team can descend. First team will being fighting towards the lich's position, the second will make their way to the sewer entrance to assist Lothrain. Natalia, you will bring down the defensive magics of the base, so we can signal to the outside that they can begin fighting inwards.

Vanguard, you are to use a wedge formation to separate the outside enemy forces. Rosalind will turn what undead she can. Together, that will destroy whatever cohesion they are fighting with, and are less likely to overwhelm our forces. As you clear the area, Rosalind has permission to direct excess troops to enter the building by air, teleportation, or ground, as needed. Is everyone clear on their assignments?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

Before the leave:
    "Theo, with all due respect, the Lens doesn't belong to you. I was the one who risked my life to recover it. If you want to take advantage of my death to take and make deals with my property, then the threat of Shroud keeps me from arguing. But once he is finished I want what is mine back, no matter what deals you made."

Before the fight:
    "I doubt you'll have any issue with false yielding," Hesa notes on Theo's words to Rosalind. "The only living amongst our enemies are ones we should kill first."
    He gestures to the undead rings.
    "You only have a tiny opening to get through. How do you plan to keep the undead from interfering while you lower yourself in?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

As Theo gives Rosalind control of the Vanguard she nods in understanding, this was where she would be most useful, no doubt the lich would have many protections to face off against her, those on the outside though, they would be easy pickings. So when the warrior from Yara's homeland asked how they would get past the wraiths and such from the sky the woman smilied at the giant before her. "Just try to keep up, and watch out for the angel of decay. Merely being in his presence can harm the living." and with that she calls out to all those who would serve as vanguard.

"Form ranks behind me in the shape of a creasent moon facing towards them. If you have the ability to turn undead stay in the front ranks with weapon in hand as well as holy symbol. Those who can not be ready for the repulsion force." and with that she charges forth with her troops hoping to create an opening for Theo to be able to use to his advantage.

Spoiler: Turn/Greater turn undead
    Show

Not sure how many troops are staying behind so will use a mass grouping for the Clerics, as the paladins will be to low level to actually do any harm with turn undead)
    Clerics (1d20)[9] Add their charisma modifier to this +2 if they have more then 5 ranks in religion (At the moment anything with less than 4HD can be effected and anything with less than 2 is instantly destroyed before Cha modifier and relgion is taken into effect)
    Turning Damage (2d6+5)[13] + cha modifier, and that is 13 HD worth from each of said clerics

Rosalind Greater turn undead AFTER the clerics use their turn undead (kinda like she is empowering theirs it would look like)
    (1d20+8)[22] Rosalind DESTROY's 14HD or less
    Damage (2d6+16)[21] 21 HD worth
    All undead that are not destroyed instantly take (3d6)[16] points of damage
    Any undead within 10ft of rosalind that are still alive take (1d4)[1] points of damage

LAdy Amalthea will attack with her horn anything that is within range of her and Rosalind, as Rosalind is riding her into battle (1d20+15)[28] Damage (1d8+9)[12]
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-07-24 at 08:17 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

To Hesa, Theo gestures at his mages. That will be them. A few blasts of arcane power and we will have room to get through. We have no choice but to dash of to Lothrain; had he acted sensibly and came with us, we wouldnt be in such a rush.

And as Ardaionn appears by Theo's side, he directs the different strike teams to prepare to board in due course. The eagle was mighty and can hold many riders, and with magical flight as an option, it would not take long. As Rosalind starting turning undead, Theo gave orders for Ember, Abrogar, Althazan, Rauthus and Natalia to join him in getting to the roof first. Lydia would lead the ancillary strike team in the second wave, and lead the charge to free up Lothrain. He gave Rauthus the order to begin with a turn undead attempt while the mages would pick the most strategic spots to blast away at foes.

Theo held one of the tokens to get around the Staff of Maya's protection, and he handed the other four out to Ember, Rauthus, Althazan and Abrogar. Natalia would go without, at least for now, as she was to immediately move to take down the building's defenses.

Once he gets atop the building, Theo casts Divine Power upon himself, to improve his combat effectiveness. He also activates his divine power of flight to be able to carefully descend into the room once his wizards had cleared some space with their arcane power.

Spoiler
    Show
    So I believe my first turn is used getting on top of the building. Mysecond turn is Divine Power (standard) Animal Devotion for flight (swift) and I'll use my move action when the wizards cast something to clear the way
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

Spoiler: Hesa - Init 19
    Show

"I'll try to hold them off you from the west," Hesa says. With glaive in hand, he searches for a viable target. Seeing a mage towards the western edge, he charges forward, using his reach to deal a devastating, psionically infused blow. He hopes to stay distant so he can later move to a better location.
    Spoiler: Charge
    Show

Huge with reach weapon, staying at furthest range of 30ft. Targeting mage in L42.
    (1d20+21)[36] for (3d8+15)[29] + (2d6)[5] Deep Crystal + (4d6)[10] Greater Psionic Weapon
    He also has Great Cleave, which he'll use if he manages to kill the mage. Same attack bonus but no Deep Crystal or Greater Psionic Weapon damage.
    Gleaming Armour gives him concealment(20%).

Spoiler: Yara/Construct - Init 11
    Show

Yara keeps back from the fight, not wanting anything to be able to reach her. From a safe distance, she chooses a target. A mage, surrounded by undead.
    Taking aim, a large ball of crystal begins to form on the end of her finger. It suddenly shoots off, still expanding, to collide with the mage in a savage spray of crystal shards.
    Spoiler: Hail of Crystal
    Show

Not sure of ally placement yet, will be aiming for a mage that won't risk hitting allies. Range of 220ft, I think I'll put Yara about that far back on towards the east. The mage at AG39 seems a safe target.
    Ranged Touch: (1d20+8)[16] for (5d4)[14] Bludgeoning Damage
    Whether it hits or not, all in 20ft, including target, take (10d4)[31] Slashing Damage

Yara's construct charges into the fray to support Hesa, moving past him into the ranks of the enemy. Thundering past the giant man, it launches a crushing fist towards the nearest target.
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show

Not sure of the enemy placement after Rosalind's mass turn undead. Trying to block off some of the western side to limit enemy movement.
    Attack on nearest important undead or mage if their still alive: (1d20+19)[35] for (1d8+11)[16]

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The clerics charge forward, expanding into an arc formation with Rosalind at its head, holy symbols in hand as they call upon Charis to clear the way. A great wash of golden light sweeps over the undead ranks, tearing through skeletons, zombies, and ghouls to the left and right, devastating the outer ranks of the foe.

Rauthus adds his power, catching a wraith in the middle ranks, its darkness dissolving in holy radiance.

Then Rosalind adds her gods’ cleansing power, and the wash of power becomes a torrent, bright as the midday sun. A mighty bodak and a filth - encrusted mummy are swept up in that power, their bodies vanishing in columns of intense, holy flame.

Amalthea turns her horn on the Cabal mage before her, suddenly finding himself to his alarm on the front ranks, dealing a grievous but not a fatal injury.

To the left, Hesa and the Construct storm into battle, heedless of risk or the fact they leave their allies behind to do so. Hesa skewers the Cabal mage on the glaive, then rips the blade from its tumbling corpse to strike another target.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You get a cleave attempt, I leave it to you to choose a target and make the rolls.

The Construct heads straight for a bodak, Yara's knowledge of the threat they pose guiding her creation, and deals a heavy blow - but the undead being’s innate resilience robs the impact of much of its force.

As for its master, Yara focuses on the Cabal mage on the East corner of the building, sending a deadly bolt of crystal that skewers her target - then explodes in a cloud of razor-sharp shards, ripping the mage apart and doing the same to a knot of undead around him.

The Vanguard rush forward, taking up a position in the centre of the Templar crescent. Asoryala stands with the warmages, and confers swiftly with her Vanguard counterparts. The Vanguard call up walls of fire on either flank, immolating a number of undead in the process and delaying any counterattack.

Asoryala for her part detonates a fireball just beyond Hesa, taking down a trio of lesser undead, while wounding the wraith and bodak nearest the wall of flame.

Behind the front line, the Council mages ready to join Theo's assault. Valeria pauses long enough to cast Mass Fly, enabling her fellows as well as Natalia to join Theo under their own power, before flying to join Asoryala and the Vanguard warmages.

Althazan, Abrogar and Natalia spend this round flying to the roof with Theo, watching for any ranged response from below. For the moment, perhaps stunned by the ferocity of the attack, the defenders make no effort to shoot down the strike team.

Lydia mounts Ardaionn, joined by the designated second wave, and waits for the mighty Eagle to bear her aloft.

Show
    Gunn and Perseus still have actions in Round 1, and Hesa has a cleave attempt. After that I'll post the surviving defenders’ actions for the round.

21. - Top - End - #141

Gunn begins inspiring courage among their troops (+4d6 fire damage), while Perseus rages, activates his Boots of Flying, and takes flight, charging at the Angel of Decay near Rosalind with a leaping pounce.

Spoiler: Perseus
    Show

-5 Power Attack/ +10 damage (x2 Leap Attack)
    Haste +1 attack
    Heroes Feast +1 attack
    Gunn +4d6 damage
    Rage +1 attack, +1 damage
    Charge +4 attack, -4 AC
    AC +5 (Rosalind)

AC 23
    Full Attack:
    (1d20+19)[37], (1d10+21)[25]+(4d6)[16];
    (1d20+19)[23], (1d10+21)[25]+(4d6)[9];
    (1d20+14)[30], (1d10+21)[29]+(4d6)[11];
    (1d20+9)[13], (1d10+21)[27]+(4d6)[15]

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hesa cuts into the mummy beside his fallen foe, glaive ripping through rotten flesh and crumbling wrappings. It is not a disabling strike, being little more than an opportune use of his backswing, but it does considerable damage all the same.

Gunn and Perseus add their unique gifts to the fray. The dwarf charges past all allies to deliver a thunderous blow against the towering Angel of Decay, wading through a more of fetid fluids to do so. Still, its husk is tougher than steel, resisting much of the force from his axe - but the touch of fire draws a rasping hiss of pain.

The allied forces have given a good account of themselves, devastating the southern ranks of the foe, so that only the strongest and hardiest foes remain in easy reach.

But now the enemy counter-attack.

It begins with a barrage of magic, centred on the ranks of the Templars: a vast vortex of spectral piranha, numberless and vicious, ripping into flesh with impossibly sharp teeth - a vortex that remains in place, covering an 80’ diameter circular area with Rosalind at its northern edge; an eruption of flame, incandescent and deadly; an arc of lightning, sudden and terrible, starting with Rosalind and tearing out through the same Templars who endured the heat of the Fireball.

Spoiler: Spells - Rosalind and Amalthea
    Show
    Vortex of Teeth - 4 Force damage, no saving throw.
    Fireball - 16 fire damage, DC 16 Reflex for half
    Arc of Lightning - 26 electricity damage, DC 16 Reflex for half.

Half the Templars on the right flank fall to the Cabal’s bombardment, and the others carry extensive burns. But it soon becomes clear this was just the beginning.

The Angel of Decay takes a step forward, bringing the front rank of Templars within its rotting aura, a pool of rank decay that purifies living matter on contact.

Spoiler: Rotting Aura
    Show
    Everyone within 15’ of the Angel of Decay and in contact with the ground (Amalthea and Perseus?) takes 18 damage (ref 24 for half) AND must pass a DC 24 Will save or be Nauseated for the next round)

It focuses its hateful strength on Perseus, a flurry of claws and blows from its tattered wings battering the barbarian’s defences.

Spoiler: Full attack on Perseus
    Show
    Claw 1 - 25 vs AC for 31 damage
    Claw 2 - 24 vs AC for 34 damage
    Wing 1 - 20 vs AC for 18 damage
    Wing 2 - miss (natural 1)
    If two or more attacks hit, take an additional 12 points of damage as Perseus's flesh begins to rot (let me know if this applies because it also heals the Angel of Decay).

The other undead on the near side of the walls of fire charge to the attack, pitting undying ferocity against the Templars. As for those beyond the flames, they draw nearer but hold position for now, seemingly reluctant to pass the barriers.

Perseus finds himself attacked by the Dread Wraith, forced to defend himself on two fronts. The shadowy apparition reaches out with a single frigid limb, seeking to leech the life from Perseus's body.

Spoiler: Incorporeal Touch
    Show
    22 vs Perseus's Touch AC; on hit, 11 damage plus 4 points of Constitution drain.

The three bodaks trapped with you draw closer, turning their terrible gaze on you and your allies.

Spoiler: Death Gaze
    Show
    For each bodak within 30’, your characters must make a DC 15 Fortitude save vs death. Anyone forewarned to do so (prior encounter or DC 19 Knowledge Religion check) can try not to look for a 50% chance of avoiding the gaze. Characters with prior warning can also close your eyes - immune to the gaze but you are effectively blind - or turn your back. I'd rule that you can't turn your back if fighting an opponent in between you and the bodak.

Yara's construct is attacked by two undead: a lesser wraith and a vampire. The vampire appears to have been a warrior in life, carrying a bastard sword with which it seeks to hack the construct apart.

Spoiler: Attacks on construct
    Show
    Touch attack from wraith, 9 vs touch AC for 3 damage (Construct immune to Con drain)

Vampire: 27 vs AC for 17 slashing damage.

Meanwhile Hesa is mobbed by three undead - a mummy, wraith, and Blaspheme.

Show
    Thanks to your reach, you get an attack of opportunity against any one of these, more perhaps if you have Combat Reflexes. I assume below they all survive.

Spoiler: Attacks on Hesa
    Show
    Mummy: despair (Will DC 16 or be paralysed with fear for (1d4)[2] rounds)
    Slam: 25 vs AC for 16 damage, Fort DC 16 or contract mummy rot.

Wraith: 11 vs touch AC (remember size modifiers) for 3 damage and Fort DC 14 or take 6 con drain

Blaspheme: bite attack, 37 vs AC for 15 damage, and if it hits, Hesa is dazed for the next round and takes 4 strength damage.

Round 2

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Sister Rosalind watches as the undead launch their counter attack making many of the forces with her fall in battle, unsure if they were dead or not and unable to take her eyes off of the whole picture at this moment she ordered the right flank to fall back and protect Asoryala and the other mages while hoping the left flank could hold. Trusting the mages to do what they did best as she did not know in truth what they could do.

Once more calling on the power of the lovers to destroy all the undead in her path, Sister Rosalind hoped Perseus could withstand the onslaught of the Angel of decay a little longer so she could help their weaker forces. All the while Lady Amalthea lashed out at the mage besides them not wanting it to use its magic any more to harm her or her mistress's allies.

Spoiler: Rosalind and L.A. Counter Attack
    Show

Greater turn undead (1d20+8)[25] 14 HD is the strongest she can turn
    Turning Damage (2d6+16)[23]
    Exalted damage to ALL undead in the 60ft of her (3d6)[13]
    Holy nimbus damage to all undead within 10ft of her (1d4)[1]

L.A. Full Attack Against MAge (followed by Angel of decay if the mage dies)
    Horn (1d20+15)[25] Damage (1d8+9)[14] + (4d6)[17] Fire from Gunn
    Haste (11d20+15)[129] Damage (1d8+9)[12] + (4d6)[12] Fire from Gunn (1d20+15)[26]

Hoof 1 (1d20+12)[20] Damage (1d4+6)[7] + (4d6)[20] Fire
    Hoof 2 (1d20+7)[22] Damage (1d4+6)[10] + (4d6)[15]
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-07-26 at 09:56 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Rosalind channels the power of Kirest once more, and holy light sweeps over the undead, claiming four more for Torae's halls. Even the stronger undead are burned by that sacred radiance, weakening them for the fight to come.

Amalthea pummels the Cabal mage with her hooves and spears him with her horn, summarily ending the threat he poses as she tramples his corpse into the dust.

Theo reaches his vantage point atop the roof, hovering above it to keep from the wards and trying to ignore the thrum of power jarring his bones from the energy column. There is a narrow gap between the column and the tiles, a gaping hole in the ceiling that would just allow access, albeit at considerable risk. Abrogar considers briefly and then casts a spell, opening a circular passage 5' wide to comfortably enter the chamber below.

Inside, you see a cowled figure, face hidden in shadow, suspended in midair before the column of energy; arms uplifted, head bowed, chains of black iron rippling with eldritch flame securing them to the ceiling. Energy swirls around them, a coruscating whirlwind of power. Your only encounter with Shroud was through your father's memories, but this figure's build, attire and the unnatural shadows concealing their face are all identical to the Shroud you remember.

The flagstone floor has been carved with an immense arcane glyph or symbol, an intricate pattern centred around the column of divine energy, but with a secondary nexus in the space immediately below the suspended figure. Currents of power flow along the lines of the symbol, drawn from the column to a series of pedestals: one on which you see a set of ancient bones, another carrying the Chalice of Relath, a third with a blue crystalline staff upon it, and a fourth carrying an ornate book. The energy eddies around these objects, before flowing to the suspended figure - seemingly the source of the energy around them.

Thirteen Cabal mages in black robes are spaced in a circle around the room, chanting an arcane invocation in unison. They do not immediately react to your presence, focused on the task at hand.

25. - Top - End - #145

Gunn casts Fly on himself from a scroll, and soars about 40' into the air. Perseus uses his winged boots to hover in the air, 5' stepping before repeating his full attack against the Angel of Decay.

Spoiler: Perseus
    Show

Ref: (1d20+10)[15]
    Will: (1d20+15)[24]

AC 28
    Attack +3, Damage +1, +4d6

If not nauseated:

5' step vertically,
    (1d20+20)[34], (1d10+11)[12]+(4d6)[15]
    (1d20+20)[24], (1d10+11)[14]+(4d6)[17]
    (1d20+15)[32], (1d10+11)[14]+(4d6)[14]
    (1d20+10)[24], (1d10+11)[21]+(4d6)[12]

If nauseated:

Withdraw as high as possible into the air.

26. - Top - End - #146

Show

Hesa twists around to get another slash into the mummy as it approaches. His crystal glaive flashes with psionic energy as he
    Spoiler: AoO
    Show

(1d20+19)[25] for (3d8+15)[36] + (2d6)[7]

Hesa was not a naturally nimble man, and his massive size was no help. However, his years of psionic training managed to keep him ahead of the attacks. He turns aside the mummies blow and uses his psionic insight to dodge the wraith's grasp before the attack had even be made. But the Blaspheme came at him to fast, sinking it's teeth into his arm. The bite itself was nothing, but he could feel the undead draining him. Feeling his strength slip away, he felt too woozy to react.

Show

The construct watched calmly as the wraith reach out, making no move to stop it. The wraith's searching claws however found an invisible force that pushed it back. The vampire to had little success, it's blow not making it past the thick ectoplasm of the construct. It's contact with Yara told it that it was unlikely to harm the wraith, so it launched two hammer blows into the vampire.
    Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

(1d20+17)[19] for (1d8+11)[16]
    (1d20+17)[34] for (1d8+11)[16]

Yara manoeuvres towards the west. She couldn't support Hesa directly, he'd be caught in the blast. She could however remove another mage.
    Spoiler: Hail of Crystal
    Show

Mage E42
    (1d20+8)[13] Touch for (5d4)[13] Bludgeon
    And (10d4)[26] Slashing for all within 20ft.

Last edited by Timble; 2018-07-27 at 08:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The allied forces contract as they follow Rosalind’s order, but they do so in good order, fighting as they withdraw. Rauthus gives a shouted order, and the surviving clerics each call on the same spell: a blast of searing light that disintegrates undead flesh on contact. With that radiant barrage of magic, they focus on the bodaks, even as three of their number perish to the creatures’ terrible gaze; in return, two of the bodaks are torn apart. It is a punishing rate of exchange, and one the outnumbered Templars cannot long continue.

The paladins hold their positions, ready to defend against any who come within reach, but too disciplined to break ranks.

Rauthus appeals to Charis, focusing first on the embattled Perseus.

Spoiler: Delay Death on Perseus
    Show
    For the next 10 rounds, Perseus cannot die from hit point damage. He is still rendered unconscious if he falls below 0hp.

He then blesses his greatsword, which begins to emit a pale silver-green light.

Behind him, the Vanguard and Asoryala finish another set of incantations. Two precisely targeted orbs of fire slam into the skeletal giant, which topples in its own funeral pyre. Another orb, this one of lightning, streaks towards the nearest Cabal mage - who dodges at the last moment, leaving the spell to dissipate uselessly against the rear wall.

That leaves only Valeria who has yet to cast. The archmage turns her attention to Perseus, striving with the most dangerous foe on the field of battle. With a snap of her fingers, Rauthus and two of his lieutenants vanish and reappear with a flash of emerald light around the Angel of Decay, where the Templars set about hacking at the undead with burning blades; another gesture, and time seems to slow for Perseus, allowing him to attack again.

Spoiler: Quickened Snake’s Swiftness
    Show
    Perseus gets to make an extra standard attack on the Angel of Decay.

The Angel of Decay gives a wordless cry, much of its body now in flames, and repeats its attack on Perseus. It seems to be treating him as a more credible threat now, its blows more accurate but less individually powerful. Never has the dwarf warrior faced a more dangerous opponent, and it is clear that for all the harm he has caused it, this battle could still end with his death.

Spoiler: Full attack on Perseus
    Show
    Claw 1: 40 vs AC for 26 damage
    Claw 2: miss (Nat 1)
    Wing 1: 22 vs AC for 12 damage
    Wing 2: 27 vs AC for 15 damage
    2+ hits: rotting touch 9 damage.

The dread wraith moves to keep its flanking position, then lunges for the dwarf’s back, its mere proximity sending icy chills through Perseus's veins.

Spoiler: Incorporeal Touch
    Show
    34 vs touch AC for 10 damage, plus Fort DC 25 or take 7 Constitution drain

Yara brings down another Cabal mage in an explosion of crystal and viscera, damaging the surrounding undead.

The remaining enemy mage resumes his assault, taking advantage of the close Templar formation with a second fireball. Alongside the ongoing effects of the vortex of teeth, it is enough to kill three more Templars, wounding many more.

The remaining undead continue their implacable attack. Yara's construct barely injures the vampire, its unholy flesh mostly proof against brute force; it in turn attempts to hack through reinforced ectoplasm with mere steel, albeit steel driven by unnatural sinew.

Spoiler: Attacks on Construct
    Show
    Vampire bastard sword: 27 vs AC for 15 damage.

Wraith: touch attack, 23 vs touch AC for 4 damage (constructs immune to constitution drain so no further damage)

Hesa begins to recover from the Blaspheme’s tainted bite - but before he can, it tries to sink its teeth into his flesh once more.

Spoiler: Attacks on Hesa
    Show
    Blaspheme: 27 vs AC for 11 damage; if it hits, Hesa is dazed for another round and takes 2 Strength damage.

Wraith: 19 vs touch AC, and on hit deals 4 damage plus 5 Constitution drain if you fail a DC 14 Fortitude save.

The mummy is dead and was before it attacked you last round thanks to your AoO, so if it hit you claim the HP back

Atop the Temple, Lydia, Althazan and Natalia follow Theo's example, taking a moment to shore up their defences before he gives the order to engage.

Round 3

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Seeing Perseus trading blow for blow with the angel of decay was hard to watch, but as the Dread wraith continued to take advantage of his weakness to avoid its attacks the priestess of the lovers called out to her friend. "Perseus fall back and get some healing, I will cover you." and with that she had Lady Amalthea move to block Perseus's retreat, reaching out to the Dread Wraith to send it back to the Mother's domain where it belonged as Lady Amalthea tried to hold back the angel of Decay.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Lady Amalthea 5ft step once Perseus moves to intercept/block any enemies attacking him and launching a counter attack of heal on Dread wraith
    Touch Attack for heal (1d20+18)[38] vs touch AC for 152 positive energy damage Will DC 26 Caster level check in case of SR (1d20+13)[18]
    (I don't think bardic music would apply hear, but if the first touch misses she will roll a second touch attack (1d20+14)[18] and caster level check (1d20+14)[21]

Rosalind AC is 34 (enemies take -4 on attacks against her and must roll a Fort DC 21 or their weapon shatters against her skin)

L.A. Full Attack on Angel of Decay
    Horn 1 (1d20+15)[25] Damage (1d8+9)[10] + (4d6)[11] Fire damage
    Haste horn attack (1d20+15)[29] Damage (1d8+9)[13] + (4d6)[13] fire damage Horn attacks are treated as a +3 magic weapon

Hoof 1 (1d20+12)[29] Damage (1d4+6)[7] + (4d6)[14] Fire
    Hoof 2 (1d20+7)[10] Damage (1d4+6)[9] + (4d6)[12] Fire

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Angel of Decay is a blazing ruin after Perseus's last strike, animated by little more than its hatred for the living.

Amalthea manoeuvres to attack it, hooves sending up a wake of foul corruption as she moves, but her horn cannot breach its defences. Fortunately her hoof can, as it crushes through its carapace in a slew of filth and flesh.

Spoiler: Rotting Aura
    Show
    Forgot that Amalthea was on the ground, she takes (5d6)[14] damage.

The Angel of Decay collapses, body dissolving into a mass of stinking putrefaction. Even as it falls, Rosalind is turning her attention to the beshadowed spectre above her, hand ablaze with holy power - which she sends surging into the wraith with a touch. The wraith is consumed from the inside out by golden light, its incorporeal form flying apart irretrievably.

30. - Top - End - #150

Show

Able to act once more, Hesa twists out of the blaspheme's reach, bringing him into contact with the wraith. The creatures deadly touch tried to steal the life from him, but his psionic enhancements repulsed the worst of it.
    Taking a step south west, he drops his glaive. Drawing his Falchion, he takes a moment to charge it before bringing it down on the blaspheme.
    Show

Step to have top left corner in O48
    Attack: (1d20+17)[29] for (3d6+6)[12] + (2d6)[8]

Show

The construct barely deflects the blow from the vampire, barely noticing the wraith draining it. Through their link, Yara new that neither the undead or the construct could do much harm to each other, slowly wear each other down over time. It was time to change tactics.
    The construct takes a step south east to engage the blaspheme. Perhaps it could buy Hesa a little time.
    Show

5 foot step. Should occupy O45
    Attacks:
    (1d20+17)[33] for (1d8+11)[19]
    (1d20+17)[23] for (1d8+11)[14]

Yara hopes they can break in soon. It would probably be better to push through as fast a possible once the angel dies. Not wanting to be left outside, she moves forward, taking aim at the next mage as she does so.
    Show

Move 70ft forwards.
    Hail of Crystal
    (1d20+8)[15] for (5d4)[8] Mage AH39
    (10d4)[23] all in 20ft