Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 987
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    With the Angel of Decay and Dread Wraith slain, Perseus retreats back to the group of Clerics for healing, seeking Restoration to restore his lost Constitution as well as general healing to tend to his immediate wounds. (Withdraw to AB47)

    Gunn attempts to Dominate the Mage (V42, Will DC 24).
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Best let the wizards get a good look at this magic before attacking the lich outright. Theo thought, recalling how the merest touch of the Chalice caused one of Lothrain's followers to die instantly.

    Abrogar, Althazan, consume as many of these cabalists in a single blast, and then see if you can disable the lich from this eldritch magic. If you can, find a way to knock the artifacts from their place but dare not touch them; Asoryala said that the more that he does not have for the ritual, the more likely he will fail. Theo says, before calling upon Charis's gift of flight and turning to Natalia, Lydia and Ember.
    Spoiler
    Show
    swift action - animal devotion for flight.


    Natalia, disable the building's defenses. The rest of you, with me in formation! Let us isolate the lich.
    He says before charging into the arcane hole created by Abrogar. He charges down into the see of mages to destroy them as quickly as he could, robbing Shroud of any allies he could have. The wards from Rosalind should prove resilient, Theo hoped. Shortly, Ardaionn would have the second wave to the rooftop. With their combined force, the magic of our allied wizards, and Lothrain freed from the sewer, the battle would be in Theo's favor.

    Spoiler
    Show
    flying charge on a cabal mage. Power attack for 5
    attack - (1d20+19)[22]
    crit confirm - (1d20+19)[27]
    damage - [roll]2d6+20 + (2d6)[2] Holy + (1d6)[3] electric
    potential of crit - [roll]2d6+20 + (2d6)[7] Holy + (1d6)[3] electric

    Theo is under the following buffs from himself: Animal Devotion (fly), Divine Power, Greater Resistance (overtaken by mass conviction from R).
    Theo is under the following buffs from Rosalind - Hero's Feast, Mass Shield of Faith, Mass Conviction, Divine Protection, Haste, Death Ward, Resist Energy (Cold), Shield Other.

    By my calc, that is 27 AC, saves are 15/11/21, current health including temp health is 133, and I have a warding gem from Rosalind.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2018-07-29 at 09:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: The battle outside
    Show
    Hesa and the Construct join together in attacking the Blaspheme, tearing chunks of unliving flesh from its body but unable to land a decisive blow.

    Yara tears apart another Cabal mage, the explosion also claiming four lesser undead around it.

    Gunn reaches out his telepathic influence to the last surviving Cabal mage, slipping past the man's clumsy mental defences with ease and seizing his will in an iron fist.

    Perseus joins the Templars, hoping at least one of them had the foresight to prepare Restoration magic ahead of a fight with undead. Thankfully Asoryala steps forward with a pinch of diamond dust in hand, flinging it over his torso as she utters a brief prayer to the Sentinel, reinvigorating his body.

    Spoiler: Restoration
    Show
    Constitution score returns to normal.


    Rauthus shouts orders to his Templars, directing them to assume a defensive formation around the main entrance, then he takes two of his most skilled men and goes to aid Hesa. With a single strike from his blessed blade, he destroys the wraith that had been attacking Yara's construct.

    The two warmages turn their attention to the Blaspheme looming on the right flank. A pair of blazing orbs of fire see the creature gravely wounded but not wholly destroyed - until the Templar warriors guarding Asoryala charge in and cut it down.

    The archmage Valeria surveys the field of battle and turns to the melee around Hesa. Focusing on the wounded Blaspheme, she utters a short incantation and flares the fingers of one hand out wide. A swirl of blue and red energy forms around the creature before pouring into it; the undead being shudders briefly before collapsing into a dessicated husk, the moisture ripping from its body and forming into a humanoid shape above it. The neonate water elemental immediately steps up to attack the startled vampire.

    The vampire responds with predictable violence, dragging his bastard sword through the elemental’s liquid form, but there is no way to tell what damage is done.

    The wraith tries once more to draw the life from Hesa.

    Spoiler: Incorporeal Touch Attack on Hesa
    Show
    24 vs touch AC for 3 damage; DC 14 Fortitude Save, or take 1 point of Constitution drain.


    For a moment, it seems like the battle is all but won. But then you spot a pair of vampires in the regalia of mages, one approaching each wall of flame from the far side. With a gesture, the mages blast the wall with an expanding cone of cold; the flames sputter and die away beneath that frigid onslaught, freeing the undead to pour through the gap - which they do with horrible swiftness.


    Spoiler: Inside the Temple
    Show
    Following Theo's command, Althazan and Abrogar descend with spells blazing. Althazan sends a blast of lightning to leap from one mage to the next, striking every single mage and leaving eight as smoking corpses; Abrogar is less dramatic but similarly effective, conjuring an expanding ring of darkness that sweeps through the Cabal mages and leaves five lifeless.

    Natalia seizes the moment to fly down and sprint through the door, making her way to the main entrance to let your allies in.

    Lydia and Ember fly close to you, the former with more familiarity and grace than the latter, focusing on the figure you assume must be Shroud. Lydia pauses, drawing a throwing knife from a boot and hurling it experimentally; it passes through the energy undeterred, but glances off some form of armour beneath the robe - though whether physical or supernatural, you do not know.

    The surviving Cabal mages, their incantations forgotten, scrabble to their feet after dodging Althazan’s spell. They gather together quickly, and one sounds a shrill whistle - then they teleport away.

    Outside, you hear an answering cry from dozens of undead throats.

    You may be about to have company.


    Round 4

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: Hesa - Init 19
    Show

    Hesa backs away from the wraith, scooping up his glaive. He takes a moment to focus his psionic abilities. He only had a moment of calm before battle resumed.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Psionic Focus: DC is 20 and Concentration Modifier is 20, so autoget.
    5ft step away from the wraith.



    Spoiler: Yara/Construct - Init 11
    Show

    Yara moves up further. They could almost get in, they just needed Natalia to drop the barrier. Running up near Gunn, she draws a line of fire to hold back the nearest undead.
    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Move 70ft to around AB65
    Energy Wall: From AD40 diagonal down towards the right. Passing through the vampire and wraith.
    Fire Damage:
    (2d6+14)[21] to those within and those passing through
    (2d6+2)[8] to those within 10ft on the undead side of the wall
    (1d6+1)[5] to those within 20ft on the undead side of the wall

    The construct seizes the vampire. It knows that it can't destroy it in combat, but there's something it can try. With it's powerful legs, it starts to push the vampire back towards the barrier surrounding the temple.
    Spoiler: Bull Rush
    Show

    (1d20+15)[21] Bull Rush, pushing as far as it can.


  5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Seeing the enemy mages passing through and knowing Theo's eagle Ardaionn would arrive shortly to bring in the second wave reducing the forces outside battling she looks at the battlefield as two holes are opened up in the walls of flame as well as many enemies dropping. However the costs of life were slowly starting to pile up against them. "Everyone to the door, when the shield falls I want you all saftely behind that barrier helping Theo. I will stay behind and hold them back, it is what I was trained to do and I am at the least risk." she says noticing Yara coming to join them all from her hiding place the priestess smiled. Soon they would all be together.

    Turning back to Perseus and Gunn she asked " Can you help Hesa hold the other line until everyone can get inside? I will hold this side." and with that her and Lady Amalthea charged into the vampire leading the charge through the newly opened wall of flame hoping to stop the advance in its tracks.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Lady Amalthea Charge attack on Vampire in AG 43 (1d20+17)[24] Damage (1d8+9)[16] Fire Damage from Gunn (4d6)[16]

    Sister Rosalind Greater Turn Undead (1d20+8)[9] 9HD or less undead destroyed, will make a list in the OOC
    Turning Damage (2d6+16)[27]
    Exalted Turning Damage (3d6)[13] To all undead not destroyed
    Holy Nimbus (1d4)[4] Damage to all undead within 10ft of her
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-07-30 at 11:02 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: The battle outside
    Show
    Hastening to join the defensive formation, Yara still has time to call up a fresh barrier of flame, more intense and potent than the recently breached evocation of the Vanguard. The vampire receives no warning before it is suddenly caught in a curtain of flame; it takes grievous burns, but not enough to end its existence.

    Yara's construct forces the vampire back 15' by brute force, moving them both towards the rippling black flames of the Temple ward.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Did you give the Construct the Improved Bull Rush feat? If not, it triggers an attack of opportunity from the vampire.

    That attack if relevant: 17 vs AC for 16 slashing damage


    Rosalind and Amalthea charge into the fray, a valiant effort to hold back the tide. The unicorn’s horn glances off the vampire’s armour, but it is not such attacks that pose the real danger to the Betrayer’s spawn.

    Calling once again on the Lovers’ holy power, Rosalind channels a torrent of positive energy - the very life-giving essence of Kirest Himself - into the ranks of the undead. The vampire, immediately in front of her, is turned to ash and scattered to the four winds; all around, undead of every description suffer the same fate, as the Priestess claims a tithe of the foe for Torae.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Destroy the Undead Gunn commands the dominated mage. Gunn casts Displacement on himself.

    Perseus flies over to assist Hesa, charging between the followers of Feronax to attack the Devourer.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Haste + Boots of Flying = 90' movement speed. Charge (2x movement speed) to L44.

    -5 Power Attack/ +10 damage (x2 Leap Attack)
    Haste +1 attack
    Heroes Feast +1 attack
    Gunn +4d6 damage
    Rage +1 attack, +1 damage
    Charge +4 attack, -4 AC
    AC +5 (Rosalind)

    AC 23:
    Full Attack:
    (1d20+19)[21], (1d10+21)[31]+(5d6)[16]
    (1d20+19)[38], (1d10+21)[25]+(5d6)[9]
    (1d20+14)[31], (1d10+21)[23]+(5d6)[18]
    (1d20+9)[19], (1d10+21)[30]+(5d6)[23]
    Last edited by esorscher; 2018-07-31 at 07:50 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo hears and sees nothing out of the usual. In fact, he suspected that this all was how it would go. Wary of the last time he battled in this room, Theo decided to copy Lydia and test the lich's defenses. He points at Shroud and commands forth a ray of blinding light.

    The Cabal has scattered to the wind! He announces to the wizards in his group. Then, hearing what he had no doubt was a horde of undead monsters, he commanded further. It sounds like we are soon to have company! Be at the ready. Do you have any spells that could move or teleport any of the artifacts away from here?

    Spoiler
    Show
    Searing Light

    Vs Touch AC - (1d20+13)[31]
    Crit - (1d20+13)[29]
    Damage - (10d6)[42]
    Crit damage - (10d6)[36]

    Also, you described the scene to have 13 cabal mages. 8 were killed by lightning and 5 by shadow. What are left to flee?
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    My poor arithmetic, clearly! I can't now recall which of those figures is wrong, presumably rolled too many saving throws for one of them, thought I had three double-passes... Oh well. Enough survived to make the point that Teleportation magic hasn't been interdicted as Natalia expected.


    Spoiler: Inside the Temple
    Show
    The ray of superheated light arcs out from Theo's finger to strike the cowled figure. It rips through flesh and bone, sending a cloud of blackened blood and smouldering biomass out from the opposite side of the body.

    The force sends the corpse spinning in place, showing you the ragged exit wound in a rapidly expanding patch of bloodstained cloth.

    Wait.

    Blood?

    There is an abrupt change in the flow of energy around the room, as the ambient magic is sucked to a point beneath the corpse's robes, in front of the heart. You see outlined briefly the shape of a luminous cup, to which this power is drawn and transformed, shifting from orange to crimson; then a blast connecting that cup with the column of energy. Within seconds, it has transformed from a pillar of flame to one of blood.

    Althazan swears sulfurously and lunges to knock the nearest relic from its place - the Chalice of Relath. His hand passes through it.

    "Phantasm!" he exclaims.

    "They all are," Abrogar notes grimly, as he surveys the room. "We've been played."

    At that moment, the gap in the ceiling begins to fill with undead shapes, wraiths and the gaseous forms of vampires. Abrogar reacts swiftly, creating a 15' sphere of yellow and blue flame and moving so that you are all within it. An unwary wraith tries to enter and is ripped apart by lightning; the rest hold back momentarily, studying the sphere as the vampires coalesce into being.

    Lydia tightens her grip on her halberd. "Time for extraction?" she asks.

    Ember closes her eyes in brief prayer, her blade steady.

    "Did you see it too, Theo? The Chalice is here, underneath that poor man's robe. We can't let this be a complete failure. We need to get that Chalice."


    Spoiler: The battle outside
    Show
    Under Gunn's telepathic direction, the enthralled Cabal mage sends a sphere of flame arcing into the oncoming undead horde. The spell all but clears the nearest group, just one bodak surviving the blast to stride over its allies’ charred remains.

    Perseus flies into battle once more, choosing the devourer for his next target. His headlong rush leaves him briefly exposed, and the towering undead tries to rip its claws into his flesh.

    Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity on Perseus
    Show
    23 to hit for 12 damage and, if it hits, you gain one negative level.


    Perseus delivers a thunderous sequence of blows. Two ricochet off the creature's hardened skeleton without dealing damage, but the others burn dessicated flesh and shatter bone, leaving it staggered and barely intact.

    The Devourer reacts by opening its maw unnaturally wide, the homunculus stretching out from its ribcage mimicking the gesture. Perseus feels a plucking at his very soul, and must gather all his strength to resist it.

    Spoiler: Trap Essence
    Show
    Perseus must make a DC 19 Fortitude save or die, his essence consumed by the Devourer.


    All around the field of battle, wraiths and vampires are flying away, flocking to the gap in the ceiling of the Temple. The vampire in front of Yara's construct is no exception, turning to mist and slipping away from its ectoplasmic grasp.

    The remaining undead pause, massing on the flanks but making no move to attack.

    Until Hesa finds himself beset by an unseen foe.

    It starts with every ongoing magical or psionic effect to which he is subject abruptly vanishing. He shrinks down in size to his usual dimensions, so swiftly it seems he can feel his insides bruising.

    He has barely a moment to adjust before the attack is renewed, his body flooded with negative energy.

    Spoiler: Finger of Death
    Show
    Hesa must succeed at a DC 26 Fortitude save or die. If he succeeds, he still takes 32 damage.


    At almost the same instant, a Fireball erupts into existence in the midst of the Templars. Miraculously, only two clerics drop, although many others sustain major burns.

    Behind the Templars, the warding flame on the Temple abruptly vanishes, and the doors swing inwards to reveal Natalia's face.

    Rauthus wastes no time. “Inside! Move! Move!”

    Suiting action to words, he races after his vanishing followers, turning to guard the doorway. Asoryala rushes past him, but Valeria pauses part way there, she and her Vanguard mages laying down a bombardment of magic to keep the undead horde at bay.

    “Sister Rosalind!”
    the archmage barks. “Get your allies inside now! It seems the lich has come to us.”


    Round 5

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Perseus attacks the Devourer once more.

    Spoiler: Perseus
    Show
    Haste +1 attack
    Heroes Feast +1 attack
    Gunn +4d6 damage
    Rage +1 attack, +1 damage
    AC +5 (Rosalind)

    AC 28:

    (1d20+20)[33], (1d10+10)[11]+(4d6)[5]
    (1d20+20)[27], (1d10+10)[15]+(4d6)[14]
    (1d20+15)[18], (1d10+10)[16]+(4d6)[14]
    (1d20+10)[25], (1d10+10)[20]+(4d6)[17]


    Gunn casts Invisibility on himself from a third scroll, and flies inside the temple (AC38).
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Init 19
    Hesa is momentarily confused. Had he been struck by a dispel? An anti-magic field? There was no one around him... an invisible mage? Trying to locate an enemy, he heard the call.
    The Lich has come to us? But he was inside... Hesa thought, …Unless this was all a trap...
    The undead pouring into the building suggested his suspicions correct.
    His aching insides called for revenge. The field was suppose to have a limited range, time to check if he was correct.
    "Yara! The Lich may be nearby! Target my area!"
    (Hesa delays his turn till after Yara acts)

    Init 11
    Yara hears Hesa. He wanted her to reveal the Lich? Hesa's sudden loss of power would suggest an anti-magic field, a dispel at least. Would Detect Psionics penetrate the Anti-Magic field? What spell could she cast that would work? She started moving towards him. As she approached, the idea came to her.
    Focusing her power, she unleashes an expanding wave of fire. The rippling flames shoot out north west, to the area near Hesa.

    Hesa braces himself. If he was wrong, he was about to get hurt. If he was right, he'd see the energy cone suddenly halt. With his location and where the flames stop, he might be able to work out the centre.
    (Yara moves to X57.)
    (Energy Cone 60ft North West, far tip should be P49, I think. Not too sure about cones of this size.)
    (Cone deals (5d6+5)[24] fire dam if it hits anything. Reflex halves.)
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-08-01 at 09:21 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: The battle outside
    Show
    Effortlessly shrugging off the Devourer's assault on his very essence, Perseus responds with a series of mighty blows, hacking away both arms, then spinning to take one leg. As the Devourer topples, he finishes it off with a final overhand swing, decapitating the monstrous creature. It is unquestionably overkill - but it is glorious nonetheless.

    Yara makes a tactical gambit, sending a cone of energy slewing across the battlefield. As expected, the far edge distorts as though balked by an invisible, concave barrier.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I've indicated in yellow on the map which squares were affected. Draw what conclusions you will, and if you intend to attack your invisible foe, please declare the targeted square and roll the miss chance (50% for total concealment, 1-50 on a d% automatically misses whether or not the square is occupied).

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Sister Rosalind watches as the temple defenses drop allowing the allies inside, however what struck her as odd was how Hesa seemed to shrink on the other side of the field. Looking back to her allies she shook her head. "Make your retreat inside, I will return once the others are safly inside. Try to hold the door, if not though place the barriers back up and get help to Theo. Something doesn't feel right." the priestess of the lovers states as she channels the power of Kirest to the undead on her right before Lady Amalthea moved them to support Perseus and Hesa's retreat.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Turn (1d20+8)[23]
    Turning Damage (2d6+16)[23]
    All undead not destroyed in the 60ft take (3d6)[13] Damage
    So anything from the mummy in AH34 down Can be effected, the rest is outside of her range (Everything besides the Vampire mage (if it has more than 7HD) and the bodak are destroyed. The bodak only lives because I rolled low on how many HD are destroyed and it was out of power before reaching her. If not for the fact if your HD is double theirs only the mummy and wraith would be dead.

    L.A. Will use a double move Action to stand besides Perseus as the devourer is dead


    Once the two made it to the others the priestess looked at her allies. "The wards are down and our allies are inside, let us regroup with them before we are overwhelmed or they have to reactive the ward." she suggests to Hesa and Perseus unaware as she moved over to them of why Hesa had shrunk in size.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-08-01 at 03:19 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Using his telepathy, Gunn communicates to Theo: We've got a mobile anti-magic field out here--could be Shroud.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Hesa frowns to see Yara's attack fall short. She hadn't gotten close enough. The anti-magic field had been proven, but it had only touched a single edge. Could he work out the lich's position from this?
    Ignoring his doubt, he began the rapid calculation. The field had blocked only a specific part of the cone... which meant that the cone had struck an entire quarter. If the field was bigger then more of the fire would have been blocked...
    He was in the field... and about the same distance from the cone as he estimated a side to be...
    Then the lich was...
    Hoping that he had enough information to work with, he surged forwards. Dropping his weapon, he made deliberate, searching blows with his hands. The lich had the staff. If he could just find it and pull it from its grasp, he could get his powers back and cancel the lich's invisibility. Or at least he hoped that would happen.
    Spoiler: Unarmed Disarm
    Show

    Well, here goes nothing...
    I'll start out with a listen check. (1d20+5)[10]. This is for hearing Shroud move the next time he does.
    5 Foot step to P49
    Full Attack. I'll put them all as disarms up until one works. Attacking P50, the square to his south.
    1: (1d20+13)[14] And Miss Chance (1d100)[76]
    2: (1d20+13)[30] And Miss Chance (1d100)[83]
    3: (1d20+8)[12] And Miss Chance (1d100)[62]
    4: (1d20+3)[15] And Miss Chance (1d100)[77]
    As Hesa's unarmed, he takes a penalty I've already applied. He also takes an AoO from the target, if there is a target.
    If it works, Hesa grabs the staff. Shroud may get a bonus and/or a penalty if it is two handed and whether or not it counts as a melee weapon.


    The construct had been ordered to stay away from Hesa. The anti-magic field was likely dangerous to it. The being holds position. If Shroud was found, the undead were likely to swarm.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo get's the telekenetic message from Gunn. Coordinate with the second team to have them extract ASAP. The fight is out there. We are momentarily trapped in here, but there is no shield against teleportation. Get visual on Shroud and communicate to me where I must go.

    To Ember, then the rest, he replies. It wont be a complete failure. The lich appears to be outside, fully protected against magic and fighting our friends. We must advance to their position, we are the only ones warded against his antimagic field. If we destroy the lich, then the Chalice can be recovered. And if we touch the Chalice, it is likely to disintegrate us as it did Lothrain's ally in the last battle.

    There is no shield against teleportation. I have teleport prepared and can get myself and three others out once Natalia has taken down the protective spells that keep Lothrain trapped in the sewers. Abrogar, Althazan, does one of you have teleportation magic remaining? We take down as many foes as we can in an instant and then we must get ourselves after the main target.


    He takes a moment as the party assembles to get out of their position to channel the power of his Goddess into the undead surrounding him. He may not have Sister Rosalind's power to tear them apart, but Charis did grant him fire, and he brought down a mighty cylinder of it on his foes. He may be forced to retreat, but he wouldn't leave all these enemies for Lothrain to run into.
    Last edited by gallagher; 2018-08-02 at 12:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: The battle outside
    Show
    Hesa lunges blindly, hoping to get his hands on the staff.

    His first attempt fails, and he feels the touch of a skeletal hand on his abdomen. He feels his muscles contract involuntarily, as some dark magic seeks to paralyse him.

    Spoiler: Attack of opportunity: paralysing touch
    Show
    18 vs touch AC, remembering none of your magic or psionic items work right now so that's pretty much 10+dex modifier.

    Assuming that hits, Fortitude DC 21 vs paralysis. Again, make sure you don't count any bonuses to constitution or saving throws from spells, powers, magic items etc.


    Fighting off the influence of the lich, your fingers close on a length of what feels like polished crystal. You wrench with all your might, once, twice - and the object comes free in your grasp.

    You are suddenly holding a staff of blue crystal, six feet in length, rippling with an inner light. The magic returns, a flood of power as you abruptly grow back to your previous gargantuan proportions.

    From the reaction he gets, it seems like Hesa touched a nerve. An orb of bubbling acid mixed with icy mist - no more than three inches across - flies out of the space where Shroud last was, striking Hesa's chest and ripping into him with agonising power. You feel your flesh melt, your innards turn to ice.

    Spoiler: Orb of Acid and Cold
    Show
    27 vs touch AC, on hit (which I'm fairly sure it does) take 47 acid damage and 54 cold damage, and must make a DC 27 Fortitude save or be sickened for 1 round. This also means you need to make another fortitude save vs death from massive damage - the DC is 15, though, so anything but a 1 ought to do it.


    As if that weren't enough, Shroud - it can be no-one else - follows it with a barrage of raw force, emerald-tinted distortions in the air that hit Hesa like a barrage of stones.

    Spoiler: Quickened magic missile
    Show
    20 force damage to Hesa.


    The undead on the left flank begin moving again, shambling towards Hesa as though intent on stealing back his prize.


    Spoiler: Inside the Temple
    Show
    The Flamestrike engulfs the vampire and three wraiths. Two of the wraiths ignore it, their incorporeal nature shielding them from the flames - but the vampire and the third wraith are consumed in holy fire.

    Althazan grumbles something about adding to his bill, but sweeps his hand out, spraying motes of powdered diamond in a circle around him. The motes hang briefly in midair, a ring of precious stone - then transmutes into silver-blue energy that erupts outwards, sweeping over every undead in the room. Six of the nearest collapse like marionettes, their strings cut off, before vanishing in a cloud of mist.

    Lydia for her part, unable to match the archmage for quantity, focuses on quality. She sends a pair of scorching rays at the vampire mage; one is wide of the mark, but the other burns a large swathe of the creature's chest. It is injured, but not destroyed.

    Then Althazan makes an obscure gesture, and you find yourselves outside the main entrance of the temple, fighting off a wave of dizziness.


    Round 6

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo appears on the outside and looks around. The first thing he notices is... Hesa, enlargened, holding the Staff of Maya, and attempting to get a hold on Shroud? How could that be? But now was not the time to make sense of things. He gave the orders to his mages to help take down the lich while keeping his army from reinforcing the position. Then he raced to join the melee.

    He charged at the bastard that killed his father. There would be no mercy here, but he had to ensure a solid strike to test it's defenses.

    Spoiler
    Show

    flying charge on a Shroud. Power attack for 5
    attack - (1d20+19)[25]
    crit confirm - (1d20+19)[27]
    damage - (2d6+20)[27] + [roll]2d6)[/roll] Holy + [roll]1d6)[/roll] electric +(6d6)[22] divine charge
    potential of crit - (2d6+20)[25] + [roll]2d6)[/roll] Holy + [roll]1d6)[/roll] electric +(6d6)[17] divine charge

    None of this takes into account the potential flank that he is getting from Hesa, since I dont know which square he is in.

    if the strike is successful, then Theo has DR10/- for a round. The flavor text also says that I am wreathed in holy energy? Cool I guess


    After throwing himself into the swing, Theo says to Hesa - The ritual depends on having as many artifacts as he can get. The staff must be removed to safety! He looks to the sky and sees if Ardaionn is circling above. If so, he mentally communicates to find Asoryala, and bring her to retrieve the artifact.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In post #163 L.A used a double move so at the moment she is placed incorrectly on the map and should be closer to Hesa


    Sister Rosalind watches in frustration as Hesa goes from being his normal size to that of a giant once again as he seems to grab at the air before the a crystal like staff appears in his hand. "What is going on over there? The staff suggests the lich is here, but I can not do anything to help them against it if I can not see it." the priestess of the Lovers states before she watches Theo fly overhead and swing his sword at the air around where Hesa had attacked previously.

    "Perhaps then the best course of action is to provide aid to our allies and wait to see what happens while we wait for the staff to be removed from the field." Lady Amalthea replies to Sister Rosalind who nods in agreement before she casts one of her most powerful remaining spells to try to make sure her allies would not fall in this battle.

    "Everyone inside that is not needed out here. We still have an ally below who needs help." Sister Rosalind tells those who were supposed to be part of the distraction force. After all if the lich was out here with them they would only be a liability.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Standard Action for Rosalind to cast Vigorous Circle it will effect herself (which due to share spell effects L.A), Theo, Hesa, Perseus, she can effect 2 more people but Yara at the moment of making this post is to far away so will place it on the water elemental and construct.

    Because this is a Conjuration (healing) spell her abilites jump into effect, +12hp from augmented healing, +34temp hp between healing kicker and imbued healing, and FH 3 for 24 rounds

    L.A will try to kill the bodak with 50% miss chance from not looking at it
    (1d20+15)[31] Damage (1d8+9)[17] + (4d6)[10] Fire damage from Gunn (1d100)[19] 50 or higher hits
    Hoof 1 (1d20+12)[24] Damage (1d4+6)[7] + (4d6)[18] Fire (1d100)[14]
    Hoof 2 (1d20+7)[14] Damage (1d4+6)[9] + (4d6)[7] fire (1d100)[67]

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Hesa grabs out again, and this time gets a hold of Shroud. He swiftly establishes a pinning hold, his greater size and strength decisive in wrestling the lich to the ground. He feels a change come over his enemy as he does so, and his grip momentarily falters, but it is only for an instant before the psychic warrior reestablishes his hold.

    Theo has Hesa's behaviour to guide him as to Shroud's location, but even with that data, the Sword of Tariel strikes only air.

    Rosalind and Amalthea focus their attention on the remaining bodak. The first blow falls short, the unicorn misjudging her opponent's position, but the second shatters undead bone and flesh. Combined with its earlier injuries, the blow is enough, leaving the creature a broken corpse.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I believe both Yara and Perseus have actions left this round before I move onto Npcs. Right now Shroud is grappled in Hesa's space.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Perseus charges at where Hesa is grappling Shroud, using Hesa's grapple to guide his strikes.

    Spoiler
    Show

    -5 Power Attack/ +10 damage (x2 Leap Attack)
    Haste +1 attack
    Heroes Feast +1 attack
    Gunn +4d6 damage
    Rage +1 attack, +1 damage
    Charge +4 attack, -4 AC
    AC +5 (Rosalind)

    AC 23:
    Full Attack:
    (1d20+19)[31], (1d20+21)[41]+(5d6)[18] Miss 1 (1d2)[1]
    (1d20+19)[31], (1d20+21)[33]+(5d6)[13] Miss 1 (1d2)[2]
    (1d20+14)[21], (1d20+21)[25]+(5d6)[25] Miss 1 (1d2)[1]
    (1d20+9)[27], (1d20+21)[23]+(5d6)[15] Miss 1 (1d2)[2]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Perseus cleaves his axe into the space where Shroud must be. Twice he feels an impact jarring his arm, like striking unyielding stone - but he hears bone chipping beneath him. It is progress, but slow.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Just Yara left to act, assuming Gunn is still sustaining his bardic music.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Hesa's tries to maintain his hold.
    "He's weak to blunt, magical weapons!" he says, trying to keep Shroud still without being hit. "I've got a magical heavy mace in my belt if someone wants to grab it!"
    He looks back at the approaching dead.
    "Hold them off us." he calls out, to no specific person.
    Spoiler: Grapple
    Show

    He'll be maintaining the pin as long as he can. I'll be rolling pin checks to maintain on the following rounds and I'll roll grapple checks to maintain in the OOC once Shroud acts.


    Yara focuses on the empty air in Hesa's hands. As she had done before in other fights, she tries find the magic hiding Shroud and disperse it.
    Spoiler: Dispell Psionics
    Show

    Augmented to maximum power. I'll roll 5 as he might have a few spells on him.
    (1d20+20)[37]
    (1d20+20)[24]
    (1d20+20)[35]
    (1d20+20)[35]
    (1d20+20)[34]


    The construct turns to face the incoming undead. Raising its massive fist, it charges towards the incoming giant.
    Spoiler: Charge
    Show

    Targeting the giant. Think I'll have it go to K41 and strike with its reach.
    (1d20+19)[27] for (1d8+11)[14]

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Yara rushes up, sliding to her knees beside Hesa and reaching out to try and strip Shroud of his defensive spells. Unfortunately, the movements of the grapplers spoil her efforts, and she cannot find her target.

    Hesa feels Shroud disappear from his hands, fingers abruptly holding nothing but air. A moment later, Althazan falls to the ground, shaking his head in confusion as ripples of silver-green light cover his body.

    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 27
    Show
    Antimagic Ray. Althazan cannot cast spells and all ongoing spell effects suppressed for the duration of the spell.


    Natalia yells from the Temple. “Elder! Have you prepared True Seeing?

    Abrogar looks at her quizzically, then produces a viscous brown paste and coats his eyelids with it. Opening his eyes, now iridescent with golden light, he sweeps the battlefield then points confidently to the north of Hesa.

    “Shroud is there, on the ground and fifteen feet north-west of Father Theo. I see five active spell effects - Mindblank, Energy Immunity, Stoneskin, Superior Invisibility, Greater Blink..”


    Valeria wastes no time, casting Dispel Magic on the area around Shroud.

    “No effect,”
    Abrogar reports grimly.

    Lydia and Ember glance at one another, then rush to the space Abrogar had indicated. The former channels a wave of violet energy through her halberd - but misses her target. Ember similarly proves unable to find her invisible foe.

    The Vanguard officers cast again, another pair of fireballs that strike the undead ranks. The spells destroy a number of lesser undead, delaying the enemy advance for a time.

    Round 7

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2016

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Yara rushes up to the spot adjacent to Lydia. Shroud was dangerous, but if she could bring down his magic defences, he'd be finished. She had failed once before, now she softly whispered Feronaxian prayers. She didn't believe in them, but they were familiar and comforting.
    Spoiler: Touch Dispel
    Show

    (1d20+11)[24]
    (1d100)[68]
    I think I need to see the result of this roll before I can continue.
    Oh yeah... I've been worrying about the outcome of that miss roll for a week.
    Last edited by Timble; 2018-08-19 at 04:56 AM.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gallagher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    nowhere you have heard of
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Theo prepares to charge in for Yara to attempt to dispell the lich's defenses. If she could break through, he wanted to be the first to tear into the animated corpse that murdered his family. There would be no mercy from his sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    ...

    You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post
    ...

    This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    At present I am playing Sir Theo Roost, who rides Ardaionn the Giant Eagle and wields the newly improved Sword of Tariel

    Avatar by Szilard

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground
     
    dantiesilva's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Sister Rosalind turned around to watch as Yara once more tried to grab the open air where the mages had said Shroud was hiding. This however was their battle, until they could bring down the liches defenses against her she would be of little help in said battle and only get in the way. That was not to say she could not help make sure none of the liches allies came to his defense however as she and Lady Amalthena charged forth at the distracted skeletal giant and attacked while Rosalind channeled the power of the Lovers trying to stop the reinforcements from getting any ideas.

    Spoiler: Actions
    Show

    Lady Amalthea moves to HI 42-43 and attacks with Cure Moderate wounds (1d20+15)[23] Damage (2d8+5)[15] AC 32 enemies suffer -4 too attacks

    Rosalind Greater Turn undead
    Turning check (1d20+8)[27] CR 14 or higher
    Turning Damage (2d6+16)[26]
    Exalted Damage to all undead within 60ft not destroyed (3d6)[16]
    Holy Nimbus damage to all undead within 10ft. (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2018-08-19 at 06:18 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Yara reaches into apparently empty space - and feels cloth and bone beneath her fingers. Instantly she releases the psychic energy stored within her, feeling it flood out and tear through numerous spells. There is a shower of sparks and a sound like tearing cloth - the disintegrating magic manifesting itself in unpredictable but harmless forms - and suddenly Shroud stands before you.

    Yara has seen him without his illusory veil once before. To the rest of you, the sight of dessicated flesh taut over bone, of hollow eye sockets hosting orbs of pale green flame, is a new and ghastly sight on a battlefield already overflowing with horrors.

    To the west, Rosalind and Amalthea tear through the ranks of Shroud's minions, but it is little more than backdrop as Theo meets the eldritch eyes of his father's murderer.

    "All effects dispelled!" Abrogar cries out. "I say again: all effects dispelled!"

    "Traitor!"
    Shroud hisses, glancing briefly to Yara before looking back to the immediate threat of Theo. "Come then, scion of Aenar! Die, and take your accursed lineage with you!"

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    esorscher's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    CA

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    Perseus attacks Shroud again, now that he can see him.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Haste +1 attack
    Heroes Feast +1 attack
    Gunn +4d6 damage
    Rage +1 attack, +1 damage
    AC +5 (Rosalind)

    AC 28:

    (1d20+20)[26], (1d10+11)[15]+(4d6)[11]
    (1d20+20)[26], (1d10+11)[14]+(4d6)[23]
    (1d20+15)[27], (1d10+11)[12]+(4d6)[17]
    (1d20+10)[30], (1d10+11)[14]+(4d6)[14]
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

    "When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Adventures in New Ganthar III

    The attack from an unexpected quarter catches Shroud off guard. Brunhilda proves unable to damage the lich's unnatural bones by brute force alone, and two blows are deflected by some magic in the mage's equipment, but the other two deliver the intense fire of Gunn's magic. Cloth and flesh are burned, eliciting a shout of surprise and pain from a foe long convinced of his own invincibility.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •