New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Solo: I've got a pretty good feeling about this!

Now I'm just one guy, and this is just my own opinion, but I think that this film would of done a whole lot better being released before TFA. The vitriol wasn't there then till after that movie dropped, no one would know what would happen to Han yet, and it could of been enough to soften the blow of TFA, such as it was. Hell, both spinoffs should of been introduced before TFA. Would the landscape of public opinion change if that was the case?

2. - Top - End - #212

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    I hope it doesn't happen, since if it does I won't have new Star Wars films to see unless they dramatically improve the mainline films.

Plus, since Rogue One did quite well it wouldn't make a ton of sense for them to assume that Solo being a spin-off film was the reason it fared poorly. (Which doesn't mean they won't, they certainly do things that don't make sense, but still.)
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I had decided not to see it when I heard I would be preached to by a droid. I had enough tsk tsking from The Last Jedi, so I was prepared to be over Star Wars and just head canon the original trilogy as the story and the prequels minus the annoying bits. However, other reviewers I trust were able to gloss over the preachy droid and endorse the movie so I saw it.
    So how did you like it?

The preachy droid was one of the clunkier parts. You couldnt tell if they tried to be funny - and failed, mostly - or tried to be serious - and failed badly.
    it was cringeworthy.......love with robots is a possible topic, but then do it right. i dont think lando was the right character for this, i dont think this movie was the right place for this, and i dont think the actor did that part well.

My suspicion is that this part was enforced by KK or someone, and so the director reluctantly taped it on an otherwise really good movie.

Solo - Quira = works!
    Lando - 1337 = cringe, for the most part (her death was ok, but the relationship was set up so badly)
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Now I'm just one guy, and this is just my own opinion, but I think that this film would of done a whole lot better being released before TFA. The vitriol wasn't there then till after that movie dropped, no one would know what would happen to Han yet, and it could of been enough to soften the blow of TFA, such as it was. Hell, both spinoffs should of been introduced before TFA. Would the landscape of public opinion change if that was the case?
    100%

movie was good!
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think Lando actually was in love in 1337. The impression I got was that she was an eccentric partner he put up with because she got her job done, and 1337 was just a little bit delusional about him loving her. mostly in all probability she never encountered a person who just accepts her eccentricities and doesn't make a big deal about it so he can get paid before him, so she misinterpreted that as love because everyone else would have an opinion about it that she'd be angry about. it was completely comedic to me.

like all she was to me, was the Chewie to Lando's Han: a non-human partner in the business that gives him some sense of morals he wouldn't otherwise have, has some violent tendencies over those morals, and ends up pulling Han into situations to be a hero that he otherwise wouldn't be. the only difference is that Chewie's probable moral preachiness is covered up by his growling while 1337's is right in the open. like Chewie wouldn't shout to the sky about rescuing his family if he was given a voice to do so.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2018-06-22 at 02:57 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Probably. 7 and 8 were kind of disappointing, and Solo's low numbers were almost certainly partially because of that. Burn people out on the franchise, they stop showing up.

That said, they'd have likely seen that same drop somewhere, since Solo itself is pretty rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    The preachy droid was one of the clunkier parts. You couldnt tell if they tried to be funny - and failed, mostly - or tried to be serious - and failed badly.
    it was cringeworthy.......love with robots is a possible topic, but then do it right. i dont think lando was the right character for this, i dont think this movie was the right place for this, and i dont think the actor did that part well.
    100% agreed. It felt like they bolted it on, and tried to play it for cheap laughs. It kind of felt like they saw Thor Ragnarok, and attempted to copy a certain side character in there.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Probably. 7 and 8 were kind of disappointing, and Solo's low numbers were almost certainly partially because of that. Burn people out on the franchise, they stop showing up.

That said, they'd have likely seen that same drop somewhere, since Solo itself is pretty rough.
    Personally I'd say it's less that and more of a 'reading your audience' failure on Disney's part.

Han Solo was the 'Gritty Mans Man' Character of the OT. The Block of people interested in a Han Solo movie heavily, IME, overlaps with the people freaking out at Disney about Diversity, and about TLJ. And almost half of the 'advertising' I saw was a slew of Articles about Lando being Pansexual. It's a minor thing, but when you go out of your way to tell a demographic they aren't welcome.... sometimes they stop buying your stuff. The new Demographic they've BEEN selling to isn't interested in a Han Solo movie. The main demographic that might have been interested is put off by past works and what little advertising there was. Leaving you with a relatively small middleground of people who are both interested and not put off.

Also yes, I kind of got the feeling that Lando was just humoring the Robot,
    Spoiler
    Show
    considering he said he'd wipe her memory to get rid of her quirks but she's got too good of a navigational map.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

From what I recall none of the people involved in the movie ever really said anything about Lando actually being pansexual or anything. It was just an off hand remark from an interviewer and they said what ammounted to. " Sure, whatever. " Anti SJWs, ran with it as another reason to hate new Starwars and people going nuts over any form of queerbating went nuts talking about it from the other direction.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    From what I recall none of the people involved in the movie ever really said anything about Lando actually being pansexual or anything. It was just an off hand remark from an interviewer and they said what ammounted to. " Sure, whatever. " Anti SJWs, ran with it as another reason to hate new Starwars and people going nuts over any form of queerbating went nuts talking about it from the other direction.
    It was. It was one guy trying to force in some sort of diversity bit. It wasn't EVEN part of the movie TBH.

But nonetheless, that was a massive chunk of the news it got.
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it might be the Star Wars movie that only appeals to me specifically, because I liked all of it. to me there is no conflict between gritty Solo, freedom and rebellion for everyone 1337, heist criminal shenanigans and so on. whatever, I'll take my star wars movie for me and only me. A droid that makes SJW haters unhappy and throws the heroes with a cool action scene that culminates with Han doing the Kessel Run? no problem there with me. I'm not here for purity or for nostalgia. I mean I like the callbacks yes, but I came to see a Star Wars movie about a smuggler, that didn't focus on jedi for once and I was not disappointed.

I guess I'll be sad to see the movies go however. I legit thought they were doing a good job with it, but then again it seems my taste in movies is strange and nowhere near the standards of other peoples. I've stopped putting any real stock in controversies anymore, honestly. just lot of anger over little things.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I don't think Lando actually was in love in 1337. The impression I got was that she was an eccentric partner he put up with because she got her job done, and 1337 was just a little bit delusional about him loving her. mostly in all probability she never encountered a person who just accepts her eccentricities and doesn't make a big deal about it so he can get paid before him, so she misinterpreted that as love because everyone else would have an opinion about it that she'd be angry about. it was completely comedic to me.
    That's very much how it came off to me as well. Qi'ra's very "uh.... sure..." reaction when L3 made the remark about Lando being in love with her very much came across as her considering the droid delusional, and I never saw anything out of Lando that would lead me to believe she wasn't right about that. Just the opposite with the one remark druid91 pointed out in his above spoiler, if anything. I really don't think the movie shows Lando having any stronger attachment to L3 than, say, Luke to does to R2, if even that.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2018-06-23 at 02:47 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, it might be the Star Wars movie that only appeals to me specifically, because I liked all of it. to me there is no conflict between gritty Solo, freedom and rebellion for everyone 1337, heist criminal shenanigans and so on. whatever, I'll take my star wars movie for me and only me. A droid that makes SJW haters unhappy and throws the heroes with a cool action scene that culminates with Han doing the Kessel Run? no problem there with me. I'm not here for purity or for nostalgia. I mean I like the callbacks yes, but I came to see a Star Wars movie about a smuggler, that didn't focus on jedi for once and I was not disappointed.

I guess I'll be sad to see the movies go however. I legit thought they were doing a good job with it, but then again it seems my taste in movies is strange and nowhere near the standards of other peoples. I've stopped putting any real stock in controversies anymore, honestly. just lot of anger over little things.

I mean. I personally liked the movie. So did everyone who went to see it with me. I get the feeling that the movie was sunk not because the movie was bad, but because of factors surrounding it.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    That's very much how it came off to me as well. Qi'ra's very "uh.... sure..." reaction when L3 made the remark about Lando being in love with her very much came across as her considering the droid delusional, and I never saw anything out of Lando that would lead me to believe she wasn't right about that. Just the opposite with the one remark druid91 pointed out in his above spoiler, if anything. I really don't think the movie shows Lando having any stronger attachment to L3 than, say, Luke to does to R2, if even that.
    Lando ran out into the middle of a fire fight, headless of his own well being and had to be dragged back to his own ship as he cradled L3-37 and wept. That is not a sign of deep feeling?

Also, Qi'ra doesn't know thing one about Lando's and L3-37's relationship. She just can't imagine a human being in love with a droid, but that could easily just be her own prejudices talking.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranxerox View Post
    Lando ran out into the middle of a fire fight, headless of his own well being and had to be dragged back to his own ship as he cradled L3-37 and wept. That is not a sign of deep feeling?

Also, Qi'ra doesn't know thing one about Lando's and L3-37's relationship. She just can't imagine a human being in love with a droid, but that could easily just be her own prejudices talking.
    And Luke would do much the same for Artoo I'd think. It doesn't mean he's porking him in the X-wing.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. He ran out into a fire fight heedless of his own well being and had to be helped back to the ship carrying L3...

But L3 was the only way to take the 'back roads' to Kessel. Meaning they were PROBABLY going to explode without her.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. He ran out into a fire fight heedless of his own well being and had to be helped back to the ship carrying L3...

But L3 was the only way to take the 'back roads' to Kessel. Meaning they were PROBABLY going to explode without her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was no way to know that at the time, though. The original plan was to book it back the way they came, and just rely on the Falcon's speed to make it for them. The fight and detour through the Maelstrom were what L3 was needed for, but nobody knew that until it happened.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There was no way to know that at the time, though. The original plan was to book it back the way they came, and just rely on the Falcon's speed to make it for them. The fight and detour through the Maelstrom were what L3 was needed for, but nobody knew that until it happened.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's the way they came to start with. With L3 taking them through the Maelstrom safely. When L3 was shot, they tried to take the main way out only to find it blockaded by a Star Destroyer. So they tried to head through the Maelstrom but needed to plug L3's brain into the Falcon to do it.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

I mean. I personally liked the movie. So did everyone who went to see it with me. I get the feeling that the movie was sunk not because the movie was bad, but because of factors surrounding it.
    Take away the distaste of the Last Jedi. Ignore it's a Han Solo origin story. You've seen it before with other dystopian outer space sci-fi movies. Hero from the slums. Gangsters. Wealthy villain. Lost girlfriend found with him. Trying to get rich. The movie was never going to be a hit. It had to rely on being part of Star Wars to gain interest. If people are hateful of what Star Wars has become, that's going to impact the movie.

People hated the prequels too, but they were willing to blame George Lucas and get whatever Star Wars fun they could out of them anyway. People were excited Disney bought the rights. They were expecting and longing for new material of amazement. What they got was garbage, and insulting the fans for not liking their vision doesn't help. Episode VII wasn't well received but people were still interested in where they were going with it. Episode VIII showed it was nowhere, Episode VII might as well didn't happen, the previous movies mean nothing, and we'll make you be Woke.

Instead of admitting their mistakes and rebooting with a new Episode VII recasting, they are going to double down and bet the farm on Episode IX.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

And Luke would do much the same for Artoo I'd think. It doesn't mean he's porking him in the X-wing.
    Precisely. We've seen that people can have a strong attachment to droids in Star Wars before. Thinking of them as friends or developing a similar bond to what people in real life do with pets isn't the least bit unexpected, and either one fits with Lando's actions there. But I certainly never got the impression from the film that it actually went beyond that into romantic love.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, that only helps to explain the "risking his life to try and save her" part, not the weeping.

Episode VII wasn't well received but people were still interested in where they were going with it.
    Eh, I think you're exaggerating that part. While some of us weren't especially impressed with TFA, I recall seeing plenty of people who did like it quite a bit. I'd be hard-pressed to think of the overall reaction to it as worse than mostly positive with a bit of a mixed reaction to its similarities to A New Hope, despite considering it a mediocre film myself.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

18. - Top - End - #228

It seemed as if it was set up as romantic love, but that really didnt click with me.
    1. Romantic love between human and machine is weird. Weird enough to most people that you need to take time and scenes to properly set it up so that people emotionally invest in the characters. It doesnt work easily as side plot, I think.
    2. I normally don't blame actors much, but I do think the problem with L3-Lando feeling awkward was that Lando's actor AND L3's "acting" just weren't selling it very well.
    The death and Lando crying over her were okay, but enotionally they came to me a little out of the blue.
    3. We were scarred by the "SJW agends attempts" of TLJ and Disney/KK/Johnson's handling of it. Have to admit, that movie left a minefield where Solo had a really really hard time NOT to disappoint. Every weak aspect of Solo that had something to do with the topic was doomed to be amplified by the sour feeling TLJ left in our hearts(well, some hearts ;-) )
    4. Didn't Lando lust for Leia a little at some point? I could have sworn he was into chicks, but maybe that's just me.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

It seemed as if it was set up as romantic love, but that really didnt click with me.
    1. Romantic love between human and machine is weird. Weird enough to most people that you need to take time and scenes to properly set it up so that people emotionally invest in the characters. It doesnt work easily as side plot, I think.
    That's true.

2. I normally don't blame actors much, but I do think the problem with L3-Lando feeling awkward was that Lando's actor AND L3's "acting" just weren't selling it very well.
    The death and Lando crying over her were okay, but enotionally they came to me a little out of the blue.
    To each his own.
    3. We were scarred by the "SJW agends attempts" of TLJ and Disney/KK/Johnson's handling of it. Have to admit, that movie left a minefield where Solo had a really really hard time NOT to disappoint. Every weak aspect of Solo that had something to do with the topic was doomed to be amplified by the sour feeling TLJ left in our hearts(well, some hearts ;-) )
    To quote another forumite "I am glad not to be part of your We".
    4. Didn't Lando lust for Leia a little at some point? I could have sworn he was into chicks, but maybe that's just me.
    Pansexual means attracted by every sex/gender. That includes women.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    That's the way they came to start with. With L3 taking them through the Maelstrom safely. When L3 was shot, they tried to take the main way out only to find it blockaded by a Star Destroyer. So they tried to head through the Maelstrom but needed to plug L3's brain into the Falcon to do it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    They didn't need L3 for the main way though.
    It had beacons lining it. They only needed L3 for escaping through the Maelstrom, which they didn't know they would need to do until after Lando rescued her.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

Take away the distaste of the Last Jedi. Ignore it's a Han Solo origin story. You've seen it before with other dystopian outer space sci-fi movies. Hero from the slums. Gangsters. Wealthy villain. Lost girlfriend found with him. Trying to get rich. The movie was never going to be a hit. It had to rely on being part of Star Wars to gain interest. If people are hateful of what Star Wars has become, that's going to impact the movie.
    I think it's more accurate to say it was never going to be a hit at the 250-300 million dollar price point. Solo's going to pull in around 350 million at the box office. If they'd made the film for 100 million it would be a modest success. Even at a 150 million it would be a viable approach since the way Star Wars merchandising works you can do middling at the box office and rely on the secondary market to power profitability. That's important because a big part of the problem with Solo is that they essentially produced two movies but only got to release one. That's entirely the fault of internal management for not monitoring production properly and as far as I'm concerned absolutely a reason why Kathleen Kennedy should be fired. She essentially set over 100 million dollars on fire by failing to act promptly and just assuming the production budget wouldn't matter because the film was sure to be a smash success.

People hated the prequels too, but they were willing to blame George Lucas and get whatever Star Wars fun they could out of them anyway. People were excited Disney bought the rights. They were expecting and longing for new material of amazement. What they got was garbage, and insulting the fans for not liking their vision doesn't help.
    Some people were excited when Disney bought the rights, but plenty of people were not. Many of the hardcore fans - and especially anyone who had embraced the EU at all - reacted with visceral terror at the announcement. I was on TFN at the time, I remember the forum-crashing outpouring of fear when that purchase came out. I also remember the month after month of waiting for Disney to clarify what was going to happen with the continuity and the unceremonious axing of decades of material (including ongoing products, waking up one morning to discover my twelve SWTOR characters were no longer actually part of Star Wars hurt) and how that festered within the fan community. How Disney failed to interact with the 'Give Us Legends' people in any significant way, to the point that banner transformed into an online trolling group post-TLJ.

Personally I feel that Disney poisoned the well from the very beginning. They fundamentally failed to understand what they had bought and what it meant to the core group of hardcore fans, and also how the dedication and economic power of hardcore fans matters in modern fandom. It's a similar mistake to what Warner Brothers has made with the DC movies. Disney seems to have come in with the idea that they were buying a dead franchise - something I've heard media defenders of Disney claim about Star Wars prior to the purchase. Such statements are ridiculous. Immediately prior to the Disney purchase TCW was airing to decent ratings, SWTOR was a top five MMO, Fantasy Flight Games was launching a new RPG, and all the various other product lines were continuing. Disney bought a living franchise, summarily murdered it, then launched a Frankenstein's monster replacement and had the gall to go "I'm shocked, shocked, that the fans don't like what we produced!"

I mean, some level of fan regret was inevitable. I understand why Disney chose to overwrite the EU, what the reasoning was. But the execution has been a failure in every area from the beginning. The public relations mismanagement has been terrible. The storytelling has been too. I mean, take the Kylo Ren example. If you're going to eliminate existing stories to provide maximum freedom for your writers, why on earth would you have Han Solo's son fall to the dark side when that plotline had already happened? The whole Disney Star Wars debacle is likely to be a entertainment marketing failure studied for decades to come.

Instead of admitting their mistakes and rebooting with a new Episode VII recasting, they are going to double down and bet the farm on Episode IX.
    Well, at this point they kind of have to play out the string. Produce Episode IX, make whatever money you can from it. End the Skywalker saga for good. It's too soon to reboot episode VII - that would mean instituting a third continuity above and beyond Legends and the new canon.

Personally, I think what they need to do is embrace the opportunity provided by having a new continuity. Mine Legends for all it's worth. Take good stories from there that have fan support or bring them cross media into movie (or TV) form. This is especially promising in terms of older material. So don't make a wholly original Solo movie that no one wants, make the Kyle Katarn: Jedi Knight movie or the KOTOR movie. Give the people what they want, not what Disney/Lucasfilm thinks they want.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Regarding Lando and L3, the weeping worked for me because of what I heard earlier in the movie, possibly mis-heard.

Lando: "My dad's not in the picture, but I'm very close to my mother."
    L3: something
    Lando: "Yes mother."

I didn't read 'romance' from their relationship, I read 'family.' Not the biological sort, but family nonetheless, of the sort that smugglers and the like often can't afford. The stuff about "I'd wipe her, but I need the navigational data" felt like an excuse for people who didn't consider droids people, and possibly Lando himself.

23. - Top - End - #233

A Han-Chewie kind of relationship might have worked better for Lando-L3, but then the conversation between Qui'ra and L3 seems really awkward.

I'm fine with the idea, really, but the movie made it awkwardly.

I concede that Lando digging chicks does not mean he can't be pansexual. The thing is that Pansexuality was never hinted at before, thus for me it comes straight out of the blue.

I mean, guy hangs out in a shady gambler's bar. You'd think we'd see him making out with robots and/or aliens of various forms and genders, given that opportunity. That way we, the audience, would get a clue of "pansexuality".
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

24. - Top - End - #234
    Firbolg in the Playground

I personally think Solo and The Last Jedi are the most entertaining of the Disney Star Wars films, and that Solo is also the best of the films set prior to the original trilogy
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I personally think Solo and The Last Jedi are the most entertaining of the Disney Star Wars films, and that Solo is also the best of the films set prior to the original trilogy
    I'll check it out when it comes on digital. I just wasn't interested in the type of movie.

26. - Top - End - #236

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I, on the other hand, am torn between Solo and Rogue One.

I think Rogue One barely beats Solo in the "like" department, while Solo beats Rogue One barely in the "good movie" department. At least that sounds like a good compromise to let my soul rest

Honestly, both these movies roxx0r!!!!

It's such a shame they stopped the side movies

The Obi Wan one might have become the best ofthem all, and now we only get Episode 9, which I am not interested in
    Last edited by Mightymosy; 2018-06-24 at 06:09 PM.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Out of morbid curiosity, did the anti-SJW crowd hate the robot? I heard a lot of crap about pink haired Jurassic Park lady in TLJ, but not much about the robot. Though maybe that might just me being lucky avoiding it.

I also got the distinct feeling the writers were playing the robot for laughs. Kinda mocking the SJW crowd, which I thought was an... odd choice.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

I, on the other hand, am torn between Solo and Rogue One.

I think Rogue One barely beats Solo in the "like" department, while Solo beats Rogue One barely in the "good movie" department. At least that sounds like a good compromise to let my soul rest

Honestly, both these movies roxx0r!!!!

It's such a shame they stopped the side movies

The Obi Wan one might have become the best ofthem all, and now we only get Episode 9, which I am not interested in
    For me Rogue One was part of the reason I wasn't interested in Solo. I mean I already wasn't interested in a Spinoff " Young " version of another character. But Coming off after Rogue one made me doubly uninterested. I'm glad that apparently it turned out better though so I guess I'll see it on digital.

But I don't think anyone's gonna convince me that an Obiwan movie is a good idea.
    Last edited by Devonix; 2018-06-24 at 06:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Out of morbid curiosity, did the anti-SJW crowd hate the robot? I heard a lot of crap about pink haired Jurassic Park lady in TLJ, but not much about the robot. Though maybe that might just me being lucky avoiding it.

I also got the distinct feeling the writers were playing the robot for laughs. Kinda mocking the SJW crowd, which I thought was an... odd choice.
    On your question in the first paragraph:
    Yes. A lot.
    Probably more than was justified, but that is my opinion.

On your second paragraph: We were discussing this a couple posts ago, if you want to read other people's opinion on the topic.

For me Rogue One was part of the reason I wasn't interested in Solo. I mean I already wasn't interested in a Spinoff " Young " version of another character. But Coming off after Rogue one made me doubly uninterested. I'm glad that apparently it turned out better though so I guess I'll see it on digital.

But I don't think anyone's gonna convince me that an Obiwan movie is a good idea.
    It is en entirely different movie than Rogue One, but yet both are good in their own merits.

The question is: What do you expect from a good (Star Wars) movie?

They do have one thing in common, and that is something I have heard quite a lot of times from people complaining about either one:
    They both explain stuff that "did not need to be explained".

If you think the orginal trilogy was perfect and anything that tries to add to it is sacrilege - well then you probably don't want to watch Solo.

Why do you think an Obi-Wan movie would be a bad idea?
    That's the first time I hear someone dislinking the idea, so: please explain why!
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

Again, I am speaking from my own perspective, but I think that right now, the series as a whole needs a straight up reboot. I went in episode 7 hyped for a star wars movie*, without hearing any of the comments about what led up to it on social media and left meh. Episode 8 left me feeling like I should be ashamed for being a fan of the franchise. Then attacked for NOT liking it (Seriously. Ashoka should of been the main character of this new trilogy. I know it. You know it. The fans would eat it up and it would shut up the trolls on all sides). This movie felt like a very small beacon of light in an ever shrinking field of goodness. But between whoever was in charge of budget, and how fans have been attacked AND attacking actors...I don't think I can go see something that says Star Wars again and not hesitate. I at first loved the idea of A NEW MOVIE EVERY YEAR with Rogue One leading the charge of spinoffs. And considering how he was in the clone wars I wanted to see a movie about Obiwan.

But not now. With people being called manbabies for voicing an opinion that's different and idiots spitting venom on media, we will sit out opening night of episode 9. And any other Star Wars film.

*I was part of the crowd that seriously wanted Finn to be a jedi but here we are.