New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering 5e: DEBT

Archibald's brow pops up a bit at the mention of the library.

"An interesting proposition, Mister Alexander...I'm curious, why do you want unrestricted access to perhaps the greatest collection of arcane secrets in the entire realm? Just, curious is all."

Archibald makes it a point to brandish his shield, with the symbol of Dromoka on it, just a little bit when he asks this question.

"Considering we have friends, and family, at the academy, I think it would be good to know."
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Alex positions himself to hide the Silumgar symbol on his own shield from Archibald's direct line of sight. "Look, there's no need to get aggressive. I'm not gonna hurt your brother. I just want to browse the, no doubt, best collection of knowledge in the multiverse - and if a book is gonna hurt somebody when it gets read, you better believe I don't wanna be the idiot sitting there with his face between the pages."

"Why do I want unrestricted access? Because I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for, and I don't know whether it's restricted or not. I don't want to be in a position where I put my life in danger for a chance to look at some books to get stopped by some bureaucrats because I didn't ask for enough up front."
    A few odds and ends.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Troll in the Playground

Archibald considers this carefully.

At times, he wishes he had a bit more knowledge of his brother's studies.

"Well, do forgive my rudeness. It was a simple curiosity about my brother's studies, and why a...man such as yourself might have an interest in them."

"I could...perhaps convince my brother to assist in this endeavor as well, if you truly are willing to help us. I feel leaving this issue to rest at the moment would put us in a disadvantageous position in the future, so I have a vested interest in seeing it to completion."
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #634
    Bugbear in the Playground

'Well, I don't know that I can provide totally unrestricted access, but I can certainly get you into the library. If I know what it is you're looking for, I might be able to open up some relevant shelves, too' Nowel holds out a hand 'Deal?'

To Archibald, she says 'I take it you're in too, then? And Von Voldaren?'
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

5. - Top - End - #635
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ecnerwal nods to Nowel but doesn't speak

6. - Top - End - #636
    Colossus in the Playground

With the party in agreement, you all make your way deeper into the Kalastrian district of Malakir. It does not take long to find the location of your destination...

------

Zendikar
    The Continent of Guul Draz
    The City of Malakir, Kalastria District
    7:00 PM

The dusky night you had been in starts to give way to a proper night sky, the moon hanging over head like a shimmering light. It makes the outline of Bloodcheif Drana's manor all the more sinister than opulent. Even for these tribal vampires, it has an air of nobility to it. It's made from a mix of shining white marble and insectoid spires, spiraling up into the night sky. Even from down on the street you can see little perches, likely used by vampiric guards. The gates to this mansion are closed, and two vampires guard the entrance, each with a strange, faceless creature standing nearby, a chain attached to it's neck.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Troll in the Playground

As they approach the gates, Archibald takes a moment to speak aside to the group, a step enough away that the guards cannot hear.

"Pardon me fellows, but I believe a plan of attack would be good here - considering we have honest business to perform here, I say we be as forthcoming with our intent as possible. I may stick out a bit here, but I can er, 'perform' as your guard, if need be."
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #638

Quote Originally Posted by Trobby View Post
    As they approach the gates, Archibald takes a moment to speak aside to the group, a step enough away that the guards cannot hear.

"Pardon me fellows, but I believe a plan of attack would be good here - considering we have honest business to perform here, I say we be as forthcoming with our intent as possible. I may stick out a bit here, but I can er, 'perform' as your guard, if need be."

'That's a capital idea! Von Voldaren and I can be nobles approaching the Bloodchief to ask about purchasing Galdoblam, you can be our bodyguard and Alexander... can be a financial aide or some kind of legal agent in our employ?'

Nowel quickly pulls out her book and makes several rough drawings of Viktor.

Spoiler: She also
    Show
    On another page, she writes down several phrases:

GET READY TO ESCAPE

I NEED A DISTRACTION

HELP

EVERYTHING IS FINE, KEEP GOING

LOOK FOR VIKTOR

and, after a moment's hesistation, on the other side of the page

YES, I AM FROM ZENDIKAR. PLEASE DON'T QUESTION IT RIGHT NOW.

She tears the page so that she can detach the phrases as their own strip.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2019-09-06 at 08:47 AM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

9. - Top - End - #639

After putting her book away, Nowel approaches the front gates of Drana's manor as imperiously as possible.

'We are here to see the Bloodchief on business!' She commands 'Kindly let her know of our presence immediately'
    Show

10. - Top - End - #640

The two guards seem to stiffen in place as you approach, and the null start jittering in place, mumbling non-words to themselves. One of the guards looks to Nowel.

"What business?"
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-13 at 07:36 AM.

11. - Top - End - #641

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The two guards seem to stiffen in place as you approach, and the null start jittering in place, mumbling non-words to themselves. One of the guards looks to Nowel.

"What business?"

'Tracking an unusual person, who we believe is in your bloodchief's possession'
    She tears out one of the sketches and hands it to Archibald to show to the guards 'He looks like a human, but smells like a vampire. We're hoping Drana will be willing to sell him'
    Show

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

With as stoic and un-moving an expression as he can muster, Archibald presents the sketch to the guard.

He bites his tongue gently to keep himself from trying to make polite conversation.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #643

The vampire regards the drawing for a moment, shoving it haphazardly into what you imagine must have previously been a beetle stomach turned satchel on his side.

"I'll bring that drawing of yours to Drana. When I can. She's entertaining a dinner guest."

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexander bows graciously. "Absolutely. May we wait inside? I hate to impose, but we've traveled far and I'd love somewhere quiet to sit for a while. Malakir is lovely but my goodness is it busy!"
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #645

The guard thinks for a moment. "You're free to come in once Drana is finished. Till then, find a tavern."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2019-09-22 at 08:30 AM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ecnerwal smiles as widely as one can without opening his lips, then bows his head to the guard, turns, and walks away.

17. - Top - End - #647

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    The guard thinks for a moment. "You're free to come in once Drana is finished. Till then, find a tavern."
    'Thank you. If we can get in as soon as the time allows it, there's more where that came from' Nowel flips a silver piece at the guard 'When is the Bloodchief likely to be finished?'
    Show

18. - Top - End - #648

The guard catches it, and after a quick look over pockets the coin and says. "When she's finished. I'll tell you this much, fish; she's meeting with a new partner of sorts, to go on an expedition. If you truly desire to see her, postings for hired hands will be up in the morning."

19. - Top - End - #649

'We'll keep that in mind' Nowel replies 'Come, we should find a place to stay' she says to the others, turning and walking away.

Once out of eye- and earshot of Drana house and its guards, she addresses the the team again. 'I suppose that concludes our scouting mission. Drana is gathering forces for an expedition and will probably leave fairly soon. Do you gentlemen have any ideas for the next stage of our plan?'
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

"It's probably still worth sending Ecnerwal to scout out Viktor's situation while we're waiting."

"Looking forward a bit, are we interested in going on this expedition for Drana?"
    A few odds and ends.

21. - Top - End - #651

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "It's probably still worth sending Ecnerwal to scout out Viktor's situation while we're waiting."

"Looking forward a bit, are we interested in going on this expedition for Drana?"
    'I concur. That is an excellent idea'

'I'm certainly intrigiued by the thought of what a vampire chieftess wants, but, well, I have already asked a great deal of you all already. Perhaps it would be best if we get an idea as to what she's looking for, then decide if it's worth signing on?' Nowel laughs briefly 'Assuming that we don't offend her by rescuing one of her slaves, of course. That reminds me, what amount of money do we have between us? I'm afraid my funds are too low to purchase any but the most miserable slave'
    Show

22. - Top - End - #652
    Troll in the Playground

Archibald twitches a little at the mention of money, his former show of stoic-ness melting in seconds to one of slight bashfulness.

"Well ah, I do have a few...hundred gold." He admits to the group. "I hadn't found a reason to spend it for anything yet. Though I...don't know the going rate for um...slavery. I don't think I'm keen upon using it for that either."
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

"Purchasing slaves doesn't seem like a worthwhile use of our money - it's not like we can take them off-plane." Alex shakes his head. "At any rate, I only have perhaps a dozen coins and change."

"If we can find a few corpses, though, I might able to put together an entourage. I just need a few minutes alone with them." Alex grins.
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Archibald swallows hard at the proposition.

"I'm not...entirely confident in this plan." he says. (Or comnfortable) he thinks. "But, if it will lead to us saving that poor soul, I suppose we have no choice."
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #655

Archibald twitches a little at the mention of money, his former show of stoic-ness melting in seconds to one of slight bashfulness.

"Well ah, I do have a few...hundred gold." He admits to the group. "I hadn't found a reason to spend it for anything yet. Though I...don't know the going rate for um...slavery. I don't think I'm keen upon using it for that either."

'Thank you anyway. I expect Drana's slaves would be very expensive'

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Purchasing slaves doesn't seem like a worthwhile use of our money - it's not like we can take them off-plane." Alex shakes his head. "At any rate, I only have perhaps a dozen coins and change."

"If we can find a few corpses, though, I might able to put together an entourage. I just need a few minutes alone with them." Alex grins.
    'I take it you think we should try out for the expedition, then. Capital! While you attend to your preparations, some of us should find a place to stay and see what else we can find out about the expedition'
    Show

26. - Top - End - #656

Finding a place to stay isn't hard. While you've never personally been to Malakir, Nowel, you do know enough about it to find decent lodgings. Of course, the inn in question is now a pile of rubble, but your second choice isn't that bad. You're also able to direct Alexander to where the crypts, such as they are on Zendikar, would be; the only issue, they'd be outside the city limits.

As for finding information on Drana's expedition, I'd say Drana is a big enough deal that most everyone has some idea of what it is, so you can find it out pretty easily. She intends to head out to an old ruins, a so-called "hall of heroes" that contemporary knowledge says is just some ancient tomb.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Archibald follows the group into the lodging house, still a bit ill at ease in this type of city. Once the group has gathered together at a table, he speaks in a hushed tone.

"Now ah, it seems we've got a bit of a situation. The lady Drana will be stalking out to this 'hall of heroes' tomorrow. And perhaps we could get into her good graces, and closer to our goal, by volunteering for this expedition as well."

"Of course, we've no way of knowing if our 'goal' will be on this expedition, so we are in need of some information in that regard. I'm not of nimble foot per-se, but perhaps one of us could run a little, how you say, 'reconnaissance', to assist us?"
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #658

Archibald follows the group into the lodging house, still a bit ill at ease in this type of city. Once the group has gathered together at a table, he speaks in a hushed tone.

"Now ah, it seems we've got a bit of a situation. The lady Drana will be stalking out to this 'hall of heroes' tomorrow. And perhaps we could get into her good graces, and closer to our goal, by volunteering for this expedition as well."

"Of course, we've no way of knowing if our 'goal' will be on this expedition, so we are in need of some information in that regard. I'm not of nimble foot per-se, but perhaps one of us could run a little, how you say, 'reconnaissance', to assist us?"
    Nowel replies, her voice kept low as well.

'That is a solid plan, Sir Thanebrush. Von Voldaren has a penchant for sneaking around that makes him perfectly suited to ...reconnaissering?'

She sits up, but keeps her speech quiet. It would be rude to resume speaking if the others need to keep things in whispers.

'And I, for one, would certainly like to see what ruins there are on this plane. If as prominent leader as Drana appears to be seeking them, they should certainly prove to be thrilling'
    Show

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Alex nods. He pats Ecnerwal on the shoulder. "Godspeed, Ecnerwal."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Giving Ecnerwal Blessing of the Trickster, so he'll have advantage on stealth checks for the next hour.
    A few odds and ends.

30. - Top - End - #660

'Yes, good luck. If you can, see if you can get this message to Galdoblam,' Nowel tears out a page in her book and writes the following:

Take heart, for we have followed you far and have an interest in you being alive.

Though the way you have travelled has been painful and unexpected, it does not have to end here.

You should destroy this message once you have read it.

'It simply says that he should not lose hope and that somebody is on his side. If you can't reach him, it's not worth taking a risk to get it to him.'
    She passes the note to Ecnerwal, then says:

'Apparently, it's common for the wealthy vampires here to keep their slaves in basements, Urza knows why. You should try looking below the house if you can't find him outside. Also, I managed to get a bit of information about the Bloodchiefs and their political relationships while we were shopping...'

History:(1d20+6)[21]
    Show