New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Magic the Gathering 5e: DEBT

Quote Originally Posted by Amidus Drexel View Post
    "Waiting for us? Doesn't she have more useful things to do with her army than chase after a couple of escaped prisoners?"
    Quote Originally Posted by 12milematt View Post
    Ecnerwal gives a huff of exasperation.

So what was this besides a stupid waste of time and blood?
    And look at the poor cleric, her god has now reclaimed its daughter.
    Your men have died by your fixation, as I said they would.
    Next time I would suggest that you should accept my offer.
    But for now, it seems to be, that you will come with us.
    Nowel, you're fairly certain Viktor is witholding something.

To Alexander's question, Viktor replies "Ah, yes, she does. But so long as their are sinners to seek, I will seek them out. And it's not JUST a couple escaped prisoners. You had a copy of her map, or so she presumed, to the Temple of Aclazotz. Alanti, your traitorous ally in all this, said she recovered it from your belongings...though now I see Vona's paranoia about you having a copy of it held true."

And to Ecnerwal, Viktor will scowl. "A paladin must fight to the last. Through darkness we find our light. Fool, did you not even listen to the Rite when you went through it?"

As this conversation goes on...most of you notice something. Someone's been observing this from afar, back up the way you came. He now approaches, though he was doing his best not to be seen. He resembles the cleric Viktor had with him, but bedraggled and worn. What was one gold embroidery on his clerical robes has faded and torn, and his robes themselves are in tatters. His face is aged and shallow, sunken eyes and skin pale even for a vampire. His hair is patchy and wild, and one eye twitches ever so often as he approaches at an uneven pace. He calls out to you, voice aching from disuse.

"Do not trrrust this man, cloaked in shadows. He speaks lies, of a thick and tenebrous nature!" he raves, pointing madly at Viktor.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-08-23 at 07:33 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

no worries dude, we're not huge on the guy who just tried to kill us
    even though it was a pathetic failure.
    we'll bring him along, but we won't give him our trust.
    If we take him prisoner, we can keep an eye on him
    better than if we let him stay here.
    But thanks for the heads up... who are you, again?
    Last edited by 12milematt; 2018-08-23 at 07:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243

Before the crazed man can answer, Viktor shouts "H-how...you blasphemer! How could you not recognize Mavren Fein!"

Ignoring Viktor, the vampire raises his arms into the sky. "Aaah. I am Mavren Fein! Apostle to our worship, the Queen, and servant of the Legion of Dusk!"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexander steps behind Viktor and rests a paw on each of the vampire's shoulders, extending his claws dramatically. He leans down, putting his weight onto the paladin, and addresses Mavren, "So, what lies is our buddy here telling us?" The lion-man grins, and glances surreptitiously at the party. "I don't know about you vampires, but in my religion, we take lying very seriously."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2018-08-23 at 08:10 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

5. - Top - End - #245

Viktor seems unsure of how to react and noticeably uncomfortable, but the claws make their point quite clear. Mavren, however, seems to enjoy it. "Yes yes, indeed, I can sense within you a flame of divinity. While you are a sinner, you are one of a proper and reasonable nature indeed. This man, this leech in finery, wishes to lead you astray. He seeks not sinners but sin. He would have the sun set."

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

"What should be done with him, then? We were going to take him with us, to cover our trail - are you saying that's a bad idea?"
    A few odds and ends.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
    "I've never asked before now, but why were you imprisoned to begin with? If it wasn't painfully obvious, as well, I don't really know any secrets about the allegiance of that person Viktor mentioned." The last bit is said in hushed tones to the others.

'We'll discuss it later. I don't know how well these vampires can hear us. Suffice to say, we were searching for a trail in the wrong place and things got a little heated'

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Viktor seems unsure of how to react and noticeably uncomfortable, but the claws make their point quite clear. Mavren, however, seems to enjoy it. "Yes yes, indeed, I can sense within you a flame of divinity. While you are a sinner, you are one of a proper and reasonable nature indeed. This man, this leech in finery, wishes to lead you astray. He seeks not sinners but sin. He would have the sun set."
    Nowe's eyes roll 'Urgh, priests. If they catch a sniff of dogma, they'll talk in circles until the moon sets.' Raising her voice, she adresses Mavren 'I care not for your sun or your queen or this fool of a knight's platitudes he tells himself. He has offered his aid to our ridiculous task and that is what he shall do. If you have no objections that aren't a variation on "Saint Elenda will be upset", I think we will be taking our leave' She tosses her head, the picture of impatient arrogance, and waits to see who takes the bait.

[[SPOILER:roll]Insight on Mavren:(1d20+3)[22][/SPOILER]
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!

8. - Top - End - #248

Viktor speaks up, the claws at his throat be damned. "Now wait just a minute. I'm a Seeker damnit, a Paladin to the Queen! I live only for the sun!"

Mavren, however, ignores him, and continues speaking, eventually working himself up into a lather. "I would cast this wretch out, into the wilderness. Let a saurian consume him, his taint not fit for this world. He seeks the temple, the Temple of Aclazotz, you know this to be true for his own maw spoke words to this effect. He says it's for his mistress but no, no, it is not for Queen or Country or even the great Elenda herself, though she walks among us today even now and he has seen her. He seeks it to set the sun!" He further answers Nowel's question, one eye bulging and the other twitching. "He seeks, as he says, the chalice. The Chalice, of the great prophet Arguel himself. He wishes it's destruction!"

Viktor repeats solely, and quite angrily. "I live only for the sun."

Nowel, you're very quite sure Mavren believes everything he says, and says it with the passion of one with true conviction. He also very much mad, and from what Ecnerwal told you of his scouting of the Conqueror's Foothold he is likely within a particularly nasty Bloodfast.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-08-23 at 09:22 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, I'm sure no one here would say they wanted to blow up the sun. Tell you what - Mavren, we were already planning to hide the Chalice away somewhere nobody can break it. We'll take Viktor with us, to ensure he doesn't do that while we're not watching. If he gives us any trouble, we'll take him out of the picture." Alex looks around. "Everybody good with this plan? Viktor?"
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2018-08-26 at 03:05 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

10. - Top - End - #250

"Ah, yes, yes. The foul beast must be watched under lock and chain, a fitting punishment for a rogue hound." Mavren says, rolling his r's in that way only a truly mad prophet can, voice guttural and slick with half-sane proclamations. "The Chalice, oh sweet Chalice, Chalice of Arguel, the Hierophant. He came to these lands, long ago, to speak with the Bat-God. And speak he did, and from his words Arguel made the Chalice. He enshrined it, within the Temple, and there it lays still. Guarded...guarded by a creature of shadows and venom."

Viktor grimaces, but says nothing. There's not much he can do in this situation otherwise.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-08-26 at 03:15 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

"Creature of shadows and venom, huh? So, like a big... shadowy snake?"

Alex enlists help in tying Viktor to the zombie raptor , then casts pass without trace on the party and Viktor.

"Let's get going - daylight's wasting, and apparently that's gonna be in short supply soon."

--
    Short rest roll(s): (1d8+1)[4]
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2018-08-27 at 08:48 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ettin in the Playground

rolling another: (1d8+1)[9]
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #253

"Creature of shadows and venom, huh? So, like a big... shadowy snake?"

Alex enlists help in tying Viktor to the zombie raptor, then casts pass without trace on the party and Viktor.

"Let's get going - daylight's wasting, and apparently that's gonna be in short supply soon."

--
    Short rest roll(s): [roll0]
    Before you cast the spell, recognizing what's about to be cast despite his madness, Mavren speaks up. "Ah, no. Not a snake, though the jungle teams with less serpents of the land and sky alongside those prodigiously sized behemoths. A beast of, of fur, with slavering jaws that ooze with corruption. But I, yes I, Mavren Fein, know the way forward! You seek the Chalice, sweet Chalice, and I know the most direct route to the tomb in which it slumbers."

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Alex eyes Mavren suspiciously, looking for any signs of ill intent or trickery. "I dunno, we've been doing alright with the not-so-direct route so far. What do you get out of bringing us to the Chalice?"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Insight (1d20+6)[20] (I think Mavren's trying to lead us into a trap and generally acting suspicious)
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #255

Alex eyes Mavren suspiciously, looking for any signs of ill intent or trickery. "I dunno, we've been doing alright with the not-so-direct route so far. What do you get out of bringing us to the Chalice?"

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Insight [roll0] (I think Mavren's trying to lead us into a trap and generally acting suspicious)
    Spoiler: Insight!
    Show
    As near you can tell Alexander, he speaks with the surety and truth of someone who truly believes in his faith. He's being genuine about wishing to lead you. You can tell he's hiding something though.

"I bring you speed of the journey. The path you walk now, will take you nearly a full day to reach the temple. With sky black as night, the Horror which stalks it shall be out and about, and at full strength. I know a way, a path hidden from sight, which will bring us to the temple. The seeker is not the only one seeking the chalice, and speed is likely paramount." Mavren explains, in as simple a way as he can. He then twitches a bit, as if something jolted him in the brain, and says "Ah, yes, your question. A question indeed. I gain surety the chalice will be protected, from those who seek it."
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-08-27 at 09:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #256

Spoiler: Rolling rest dice
    Show
    (3d6)[11]

'Forgive me for being an unseeing sinner, father, but I fail to see why people would want to possess this Chalice. If your prophet left it behind, he plainly didn't want to carry his old drinking cup with him'

Nowel walks over to where Alex is trussing Viktor up and leans over the conquistador. 'And why would you be suspected of wanting to break your church's chalice? Surely the church and its servant would want to preserve their relics?
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

17. - Top - End - #257

"The prophet left it here for safe keeping, as sacred relics must be kept hidden. A single drop of blood, to touch the lip of this sweet and glorious chalice, would cause a font of blood to overflow. Endless blood for the seekers of sin, with narry a thought to the sinner's left out in the sun. If it's location is known, a new hiding spot must be found. It will be a simple matter." Mavren explains, throwing his hands up into the air.

Viktor, grumbling, nods his head towards the raving Mavren. "You heard the mad man. If the chalice gives an unending supply of blood, it would upset our way of life. No need to conquer to sate the thirst, the Rite of Redemption would lose it's purpose." he sneers, "I know not what I can say to stem the words of a living legend in the throws of Bloodfast. Perhaps he is right, and I am a danger to the Chalice. I simply know that I am not."

18. - Top - End - #258
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ecnerwal is outwardly still sulking about his duel being cut short, but he's thinking... well, the rest of YOU don't know what he's thinking!

Rest rolls: 1d8+2=9 and 1d8+2=10, for a total of +19 bringing him back up to full health (31)

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

Zefeurtryiff shakes their head at the end of all the explanation. "No conquering? No thirst? It sounds to me that would improve everyone's lot in life. If they can't have it, no one can? They do remind me of a certain consulate."

They then slowly strum away on their lute, humming soothing tunes.

Song of soothing plus short rest: (1d8+2)[10] + (1d6)[3] from song of soothing.
    This avatar by Phase.

20. - Top - End - #260

Now that everyone has received the benefits of a short rest and is ready to go. Sensing this through the madness, Mavren stands straight and says in as calm a voice as he can. "Fellow in arm, who seek the Chalice, sweet Chalice, know that I can guide you, if you wish it."

So...do you accept Mavren's offer?

21. - Top - End - #261

The four of you consider for a moment, and decide to accept Mavren's offer. After Alexander casts his spell, you all head off in the direction he takes you, Viktor grumbling slightly as he's dragged across the rocky terrain of the mountainous region.

The route Mavren takes you down is perilous, laden with crevices and cracks that could spell your doom. But with the bloodfasting clerical navigator at the helm, things seem to just...go smoothly. Even the burden of dragging Viktor with you is diminished, though at times you need to carry him as the raptor makes it's fumbling, undead way across the rocky terrain. Mavren's path cuts straight through an area you'd of never thought could be crossed, and you soon find yourself descending the mountain back into the tangled jungles of Ixalan. Mavren whispers to you all "It won't be long now. I know this fauna well, and it reeks with the smell of divinity." as you progress, having to slice your way through foliage that Mavren seems to glide through with ease. Finally, you reach your destination in a simple four hours, what would of taken you the rest of the day had you not trusted him.

------

The Plane of Ixalan
    The Island of Ixalan
    The Temple of Aclazotz
    2:00 PM

Progress towards the Temple of Aclazotz

The final bit of jungle underbrush clears, and ahead you see it, clear as day. A massive golden temple, entrance like a stylized bat, tongue for a ramp. A slick red substance covers said ramp, dried and dark. The Temple is overgrown with moss at the edges, but otherwise looks pristine, the jungle and it's denizens having treated it well. All that remains between you and your goal is a sixty foot clearing before the Temple, a few scatterings of ancient trees providing heavy shade for the area outside the Temple entrance. In another time perhaps, it would of served as a place for people to wait, but now it is but an grassy field.

Mavren turns to you, your group still within the underbrush at the edge of the clearing. He clears his throat with a soft, though guttural, cough, and whispers. "Go now, make haste. The Night Horror, malocclusioned beast that it is, slumbers here. Be quick, lest it waken and be upon us."

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

At the mention of the words "night horror", Ecnerwal stops in his tracks and slowly turns to face Mavren with a puzzled, slightly annoyed look on his face. Although in fairness, he has had a slightly annoyed look on his face virtually always for the past several days.

Before we get a-going, I've would really like to know,
    and I think I speak for everybloody, when I say,
    we would find it very helpful, if you don't mind
    if you could be just a bit, any more specific,

about what exactly, is a Night Horror?

We would find it most convenient, if you could
    take care to not leave out any detail
    Especially make sure to mention weaknesses,
    and things like
    what kinds of places does it like to live?

What, exactly, is a Night Horror?

Will it creep up on the ceiling,
    will it jump out of the walls,
    would you say it runs or flies or that it crawls?

Does it like the damp and dark?
    Does it prefer the dry and open?
    Should we watch out for the hot or for the cold?

When we find it, if we find it,
    should we bother using swords?
    Or does it create a cloud of poison gas?

There's a thousand other questions
    so I'll let you get a word in

What, exactly, is a Night Horror?

23. - Top - End - #263

Clearly trying to suppress himself from raving, Mavren answers as best he can. "The Night Horror stalks these woods, on jagged claw, mouth a-drip with sicking spittle. The night sky belongs to it, so long as the sun shines it sleeps, but if we tarry it will awaken furious and hungry. I know of no weaknesses, for it's sinuous form undulates with the dark, wispy hairs and thick meat. It's fangs and eyes glisten in the dark, and those who it feast upon beg for a quick death as it feeds."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Alexander takes a step back, and points towards the temple. With a nervous smile painted on his face, he says, "Mavren, you're our friend, right? Because that sounds really scary, and I'd feel much safer if someone as smart and careful as you would take point here and make sure we all get past the big monster."
    A few odds and ends.

25. - Top - End - #265

"A clever thought, my friend. I will lead the way, as I promised. Move as I do, and we may yet enter the Temple unscathed." Mavren says, nodding his head. He creeps forward, out of the underbrush and into the clearing.

DM Only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth Check: (1d20+4)[20]

Astoundingly, the raggedly robed man slinks across the clearing with nary a sound. He makes his way up the ramp of the temple, and begins to enter it.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2018-09-04 at 07:55 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

Nowel watches Mavren moving up the ramp, then unbuckles her pack and begins rummaging in it. To the party she says 'Should we untie our other vampire? He hasn't got anywhere to run to and he's probably more trustworthy than the lunatic priest'

Out of the pack come two glass flasks of oil and Nowel's detection wand. Placing the flasks on the ground, she stands up and swishes the wand like a conductor preparing to play.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #267

Surprisingly Nowel, nothing seems to register as magical nearby. The Temple of course has some ambient magic, a place of such power obviously carries some aura of magic to it (Black, obviously) but otherwise, you don't get any real sense of it otherwise.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Alex points to Mavren and addresses the party. "Alright, I have a solution to our stealth situation, but you're gonna have to trust me. We go one by one, with Phenax's blessing. I'll go last."

Before anyone leaves, he bends down to look Viktor in the eyes. "If you don't cooperate, I'll leave without you, and you can take your chances with the big monster your friend Mavren was afraid of. What's it gonna be?"
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2018-09-05 at 07:27 PM.
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #269

"I'll cooperate" Viktor answers, though clearly a little reluctantly.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ecnerwal receives Blessing of the Trickster, draws the shape of an omega across his chest, and with a dramatic spin of his cape, sneaks up into the doorway. When he gets there, assuming he does, he waits just inside the doorway.

Stealth check with advantage: (1d20+5)[25] or (1d20+5)[22]