New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Can a good character cast Animate Dead without issue?

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    The only time this becomes an issue is when you're a cleric and the way you get around that is by being a cleric of a neutral deity that supports good and evil clerics such as Wee Jas.
    This doesn't help you actually. A cleric can't cast spells opposed to their deity's or their own alignment:
    Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). For example, a good cleric (or a neutral cleric of a good deity) cannot cast evil spells. Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions (see Chapter 11: Spells).
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Or you could be a hellbred and completely ignore all of the alignment nonsense as an Ex ability ''Evil Exception (Ex): A hellbred does not act against its alignment by employing spells with the Evil descriptor, and is treated as Evil for the sake of using Evil magic items, irregardless of its actual alignment.''
    Spoiler: Memes
    Show
    HA! you clicked!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zergling.exe View Post
    This doesn't help you actually. A cleric can't cast spells opposed to their deity's or their own alignment:
    Ok, counterpoint, be a neutral cleric of a neutral deity. Cast your good and your evil and channel according to which way your neutral deity swings.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So what's the problem with the idea a cleric devoted to evil, taking the Evil Domain, is able to animate more corpses with a casting of Animate Dead than an equal level cleric that is not devoted to evil, without the Evil Domain? Is this somehow problematic from a mechanics perspective?
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    I know it is a 2nd level mage spell. Is there a clerical equivalent?
    No, but yes. In 3.5, Evil Clerics (or neutral clerics of an evil deity, or neutral clerics of a neutral deity who pick that option) get Rebuke Undead which has the Command option. In Pathfinder, it's a feat.

However that wasn't the intended point of my post. When working with Animate Dead (both in Pathfinder and Dungeons and Dragons 3.5), the created undead stay under your control until other circumstances change that (the three most common in no particular order: you hit your control limit, someone else gains control of them via spell or class feature, they're destroyed). You'd said a cleric needs to keep using negative energy to give them more commands. That's untrue. Both the 3.5 and Pathfinder version have the same clause: "The undead you create remain under your control indefinitely." Once an undead you created via Animate Dead finishes it's first order, you can just tell it to do more stuff, no additional negative energy required (at least, not from you).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

All alignment-based content is massively dependent on setting specifics and/or DM rulings. Therefore, the most correct answer to 'can a Good character cast animate dead without issue?' is: maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomWombat
    You are a magnificent person and you should feel magnificent.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    And second off, why is negative energy evil? Sure, it hurts living people, but so does fire. "But," I hear you say, "Fire is useful! It keeps people warm and cooks food!"

To which I respond, negative energy lets you till fields better, through undead servants, harvest crops better, fight against invaders without losing actual people's lives... Yeah, negative energy is useful too.
    Negative energy is antithetical to life. So you're bringing more...entropy or whatever into the material plane. I also think creating mindless servants from people's corpses is generally frowned upon, and making yourself immortal to escape the flow of souls to the outer planes that keeps the planes turning is also probably bad. Not that it would stop me.

Besides that, I think there's some goofy text in either BoED or LM about how negative energy subtly makes the world worse in some abstract undefined way.

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    As for negative energy being evil. It is considered anything that focuses on death which is an enemy of life. Would be evil second anything that causes crushing despair as negative energy does is evil
    I don't disagree that there's logic that supports undead being Evil, but V creating an undead head isn't evidence of how undead creation works in the 3.5 ruleset(there's no application of create greater undead that works like that), and V creating that head is probably the least Evil thing that happens in that arc.
    Last edited by Zanos; 2018-05-29 at 10:07 PM.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Negative energy is antithetical to life. So you're bringing more...entropy or whatever into the material plane.
    If that was the reason, Calling Xeg-Yi (or Xeg-Ya. Whichever Energon is the negative one) would also be Evil. As would the vast majority of the Necromancy school debuffs, like Touch of Fatigue, since those spells explicitly work by bringing in negative energies.

I also think creating mindless servants from people's corpses is generally frowned upon,
    Simply being frowned upon generally doesn't make anything Evil.

Besides that, I think there's some goofy text in either BoED or LM about how negative energy subtly makes the world worse in some abstract undefined way.
    I believe those two have it in some abstract way, but BoVD has this explicit in a more concrete way. The prescence of enough undead, or powerful enough dead, counts for Lingering Evil, which has deleterious affects on the area. So a Lich simply being in an area for a while will begin to plague it with nightmares and blight the land. Therefore, it's very existence is intrinsically harming others.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    If that was the reason, Calling Xeg-Yi (or Xeg-Ya. Whichever Energon is the negative one) would also be Evil. As would the vast majority of the Necromancy school debuffs, like Touch of Fatigue, since those spells explicitly work by bringing in negative energies.

Simply being frowned upon generally doesn't make anything Evil.

I believe those two have it in some abstract way, but BoVD has this explicit in a more concrete way. The prescence of enough undead, or powerful enough dead, counts for Lingering Evil, which has deleterious affects on the area. So a Lich simply being in an area for a while will begin to plague it with nightmares and blight the land. Therefore, it's very existence is intrinsically harming others.
    xeg-yi are indeed the negative ones. xag-ya are positive.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Aren't those both Eberron creatures, though?
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

11. - Top - End - #101
    Colossus in the Playground

Nope. Planar Handbook creatures.

The Negative Energy plane itself seems to be Neutral - but whatever process allows clerics to draw from the Negative Energy Plane, seems somehow connected to Evil.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Negative Energy plane itself seems to be Neutral - but whatever process allows clerics to draw from the Negative Energy Plane, seems somehow connected to Evil.
    It´s actually worthwhile to take a closer look at how PF/Golarion has revamped the Great Wheel cosmology and then revisit the 3E/D&D version of it, because they did a better job at explaining the fundamental connections and workings than, say, Planescape or Manual of the Planes did.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't those both Eberron creatures, though?
    no? I'm curious what monster you're thinking of now. let me know if you figure it out. nothing springs to mind for me.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeTheCat View Post
    Ok, counterpoint, be a neutral cleric of a neutral deity. Cast your good and your evil and channel according to which way your neutral deity swings.
    Pretty sure that's a druid, not a cleric.

15. - Top - End - #105

Yup - Neutral clerics have to choose:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/cleric.htm

A cleric who is neither good nor evil and whose deity is neither good nor evil can convert spells to either cure spells or inflict spells (player’s choice). Once the player makes this choice, it cannot be reversed. This choice also determines whether the cleric turns or commands undead.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordaedil View Post
    Pretty sure that's a druid, not a cleric.
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A neutral cleric of a neutral deity must choose whether his turning ability functions as that of a good cleric or an evil cleric. Once this choice is made, it cannot be reversed. This decision also determines whether the cleric can cast spontaneous cure or inflict spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one). Spells associated with particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law descriptors in their spell descriptions.
    I don't see any reason a neutral cleric of a neutral god couldn't cast [evil] and [good] both, and Control or Turn as they desire when being created.
    Last edited by Necroticplague; 2018-05-30 at 06:01 AM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Cast Evil and Good spells, yes.

Control or Turn, they have to pick one when created and cannot change that, unless they change alignment.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Cast Evil and Good spells, yes.

Control or Turn, they have to pick one when created and cannot change that, unless they change alignment.
    Thus the 'when being created'.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    ?
    I guess the joke is a bit lost here.

The idea is that if you want to commit to an extreme alignment you chose to be a cleric and if you wish to be more wishy-washy, you play a druid, with how the rules are written. It was funnier 15 years ago.