Page 48 of 49 FirstFirst ... 23383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1450
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

It varies a lot from story to story. Some Titans do explicitaly have transport capabilities though, so those at least are a definite yes to needing more than 1 marine.
    And the ones that dont are of course directly designed to keep people out.
    I mean, yes its easy enough to take a real world tank out if you get into it.
    But its the getting in part thats hard.

To do so then to start with you need to get to an access point.
    And likely also though titan grade armor.
    Then after all this is done, then you also still need to avoid getting shut by a plasma/meltagun.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    And the ones that dont are of course directly designed to keep people out.
    I mean, yes its easy enough to take a real world tank out if you get into it.
    But its the getting in part thats hard.

To do so then to start with you need to get to an access point.
    And likely also though titan grade armor.
    Then after all this is done, then you also still need to avoid getting shut by a plasma/meltagun.
    One of the chapters in God Machine explicitly features the crew reboarding Imperio Dictatius after it gets hijacked, and they go right through a normal access hatch into the hull.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

The emperor titan in the Word Bearer's books has an access ramp in each of it's legs. Guarded by skitarii, turrets and maintenance crews, but for anyone looking to bring down a titan that's just a speedbump if you can bypass the rest of the army milling about it.

Think it got taken down by a couple of terminator squads who managed to launch an ambush and clamber on board before anyone could stop them and then blew up it's knees with melta charges.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

In the Helsreach novel, Storm Herald has a Skitarii detachment on board, that Grimaldus had to parlay with to board the Titan and speak with its Princeps.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

One of the chapters in God Machine explicitly features the crew reboarding Imperio Dictatius after it gets hijacked, and they go right through a normal access hatch into the hull.
    Well.. i doubt said access hatch isnt made out of titan grade armor..

Though sounds like the material is kinda fluid on just what sort of boarding defence a titan has.
    Likely it switches with the Titan class. But all the same, considering the price of a titan (priceless),
    then it would be silly not to arm those inside with weapons that are merely expensive, like plasma or melta.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin
    In the Helsreach novel, Storm Herald has a Skitarii detachment on board, that Grimaldus had to parlay with to board the Titan and speak with its Princeps.
    By which you mean, he threatened to blow the Skitarii Captain's head off with a plasma pistol if it didn't let him in, and the Princeps thought it was funny so she told her guards to stand down. Grimaldus was perfectly prepared to fight his way in if needs be, the access ramp on the legs just happened to be the closest ingress.

Though sounds like the material is kinda fluid on just what sort of boarding defence a titan has.
    Likely it switches with the Titan class. But all the same, considering the price of a titan (priceless),
    then it would be silly not to arm those inside with weapons that are merely expensive, like plasma or melta.
    Makes sense. Some Titans, like Warhounds, don't have a transport capacity - they just have room for the princeps and two moderati in the cockpit while the rest is solid with systems and mechanics. They don't get "boarded" in so much as they are just scaled like a rockface.

The weaponry of the defenders, though, is probably as much to do with Mechanicus culture as anything else - sure, they're using elite Skitarii as guards, but Skitarii are never equipped with lasguns or autostubbers anyway, so their 'basic' stuff will always be considered elite in comparison to other forces.

That, in particular, is one of the things I looks forward to reading about in Codex Chaos Knights - do they fill their God-Machines with Dark Mechanicum cultists? Are they full of Daemons? Or instead of doorways do they just have great big mouths waiting to chew on people dumb enough to walk into them?
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Troll in the Playground

They probably don't use plasma and melta weapons for defending the titan from boarders, to reduce collateral damage.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

8. - Top - End - #1418

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    They probably don't use plasma and melta weapons for defending the titan from boarders, to reduce collateral damage.
    Was also thinking that too. Titans, like most things, keep their armor on the outside. There's lots of important things you can blow up with plasma/melta weaponry inside that crunchy shell.
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Was also thinking that too. Titans, like most things, keep their armor on the outside. There's lots of important things you can blow up with plasma/melta weaponry inside that crunchy shell.
    I believe that the Imperial Navy intentionally equip armsmen with low penetration weaponry, such as shotguns, to prevent accidental decompression. Could be similar?

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    I believe that the Imperial Navy intentionally equip armsmen with low penetration weaponry, such as shotguns, to prevent accidental decompression. Could be similar?
    maybe bridge crew, to avoid damage to sensitive equipment, but decompresion? Its not an airplane, most of the inner walls are thick as hell and its all full of comparments and sealable bulkheads. So there wouldnt be much point on nerfing themselves like that.

Then again, its full of narrow corridors and cramped spaces, so maybe its so they dont blow each other up?

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    maybe bridge crew, to avoid damage to sensitive equipment, but decompresion? Its not an airplane, most of the inner walls are thick as hell and its all full of comparments and sealable bulkheads. So there wouldnt be much point on nerfing themselves like that.

Then again, its full of narrow corridors and cramped spaces, so maybe its so they dont blow each other up?
    If you're fighting in the Titan's leg, you still don't want the blow the inside of the leg out for the enemy.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

If you're fighting in the Titan's leg, you still don't want the blow the inside of the leg out for the enemy.
    If you in a titans leg, whatever manages to get to you is certain to be EXTREMELY mean.
    (or stupidly lucky)
    You want to be 100% certain you can kill it before it gets to the reactor or bridge.
    And it should not be able to make a noteworthy dent in the outer hull.

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you in a titans leg, whatever manages to get to you is certain to be EXTREMELY mean.
    (or stupidly lucky)
    You want to be 100% certain you can kill it before it gets to the reactor or bridge.
    And it should not be able to make a noteworthy dent in the outer hull.
    A legless titan can still shoot out a city. A cored Titan will probably go critical and take half your army with it. So yeah, I think perforating the outer hull is the lesser evil.
    Last edited by LansXero; 2019-05-15 at 06:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Troll in the Playground

It's not the outer hull, it's the inner mechanisms, power conduits and so forth. Not merely causing the leg to cease functioning, it's probably quite possible to create an explosion that topples the Titan, or causes the power across the entire machine to short out.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

15. - Top - End - #1425

Even just causing one leg to freeze up mid-stride could send the entire thing falling over, and the sheer kinetic impact of hitting the ground could deal additional severe damage if it doesn't just cripple the entire thing due to being flat on its face and unable to get back up.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Even just causing one leg to freeze up mid-stride could send the entire thing falling over, and the sheer kinetic impact of hitting the ground could deal additional severe damage if it doesn't just cripple the entire thing due to being flat on its face and unable to get back up.
    At least one novel the meltabomb a knee of a titan causing it to topple. I want to say Storm of Iron. The best 40k novel ever written. And not just because it was the first to cover anything else than Spah Muhrines and a handful of Guardsmen.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

It's not the outer hull, it's the inner mechanisms, power conduits and so forth. Not merely causing the leg to cease functioning, it's probably quite possible to create an explosion that topples the Titan, or causes the power across the entire machine to short out.
    Seriously.. ???
    Do you honestly think that a stray plasma/melta shot down a entrance corridor is even close to inflict that sort of damage?
    We are talking about something up to 30 meters tall. A walking building. If it would easily be dismantled by hand held weapons,
    then it would not be that big of a deal to start with.

And Plasma guns meanwhile are so cheap that you can give them to regular humans.
    Considering the price of not blocking a boarder on their way to the princip,
    then its absolutely worth it to store a healthy supply of plasma weapons.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

I think we can agree that the Titans are stupid concepts that are fuelled 100% by the rule of cool. In practice, having such a weapon concentration in a bipedal véhicule that suffers all limitations of a bipedal being is just one big liability. It's more practical to have megatanks or gunships with the same weapons, but more distributed.

This is why I liked the Tau's lampshade hanging of the whole process. "They have giant robots!!" "Well.. Let's put our biggest weapons on specific gun boats and swarm them"

And then, I loved the Imperium 's response: "They have exploited the fact we use giant robots!!" "Well then, let's use EVEN MORE GIANT ROBOTS" and it worked XD

The 40K universe is so charming in its ridiculousness.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    At least one novel the meltabomb a knee of a titan causing it to topple. I want to say Storm of Iron. The best 40k novel ever written. And not just because it was the first to cover anything else than Spah Muhrines and a handful of Guardsmen.
    They did it in the Blood-Quest graphic novel, too. Although in that one it was very clearly a daemon-possessed Titan, so there were no crewmen or Skitarii-equivalents within it to stop the Blood Angels from quite casually climbing up the outside of it's leg.
    You weren't there.

20. - Top - End - #1430

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    They did it in the Blood-Quest graphic novel, too. Although in that one it was very clearly a daemon-possessed Titan, so there were no crewmen or Skitarii-equivalents within it to stop the Blood Angels from quite casually climbing up the outside of it's leg.
    Although depending on how it's possessed there could be all manner of awful things or tentacles growing out of it or whatever.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    This is why I liked the Tau's lampshade hanging of the whole process. "They have giant robots!!" "Well.. Let's put our biggest weapons on specific gun boats and swarm them"
    lol Stormsurge.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    lol Stormsurge.
    That came after the Tiger Shark.

For all the Tau's alleged "down to earth military tactic", they are probably the fsction most in love with their giant robots.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Seriously.. ???
    Do you honestly think that a stray plasma/melta shot down a entrance corridor is even close to inflict that sort of damage?
    We are talking about something up to 30 meters tall. A walking building. If it would easily be dismantled by hand held weapons,
    then it would not be that big of a deal to start with.

And Plasma guns meanwhile are so cheap that you can give them to regular humans.
    Considering the price of not blocking a boarder on their way to the princip,
    then its absolutely worth it to store a healthy supply of plasma weapons.
    The interior space of imperator titans starts being readily vulnerable at about knee height at least, that interior space isn't access corridors, it's maintenance corridors and control rooms with big chunky cables running everywhere*. Bolter fire pinging around is no real issue, but plasma and melta weapons can vaporise tanks and the interior spaces just aren't built for that kind of punishment.

Hell, you can kill a warhound by punching it's ankle a few times with a power fist. Titans are fragile to close assault teams and boarders.

*Big chunky cables everywhere being part of the original aesthetic. You might as well complain about all the people with exposed metal cables that go into their head and hang a good two feet of extra cable before reentering the body.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    For all the Tau's alleged "down to earth military tactic", they are probably the fsction most in love with their giant robots.
    To be fair to them, they are at least a little bit sensible about their mecha-fetish. They built a giant robot and then had a guy sit in it, pushing buttons and turning wheels in order to steer it; they didn't plug it directly into some guy's brain, amputate all of his limbs, float him in amniotic fluid and wait for it to consume his soul.

On an unrelated topic, can anyone tell me anything about the Minotaurs Chapter of Space Marines that came from before the publication of Imperial Armour Volume 10: The Badab War. Specifically, is there anything published about them from before they wore bronze armour and were all Space Spartans led by not!Space Leonidas?

I have a lot of free time over the summer, so I feel like writing a short story about what happens when a Chapter is refounded with lots of strings attached (a la the Ecclesiarchy) and then the original guys suddenly fall out of the warp and find some upstarts have stolen their name. I'm not aware of anything about their character from before they were Astartes-killing specialists - any ideas?
    You weren't there.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    On an unrelated topic, can anyone tell me anything about the Minotaurs Chapter of Space Marines that came from before the publication of Imperial Armour Volume 10: The Badab War. Specifically, is there anything published about them from before they wore bronze armour and were all Space Spartans led by not!Space Leonidas?
    Yes. Index Astartes: Cursed Founding describes a berserker Minotaurs Chapter (I think with similar heraldry, and IA10 does say that the Cursed Founding chapter and the modern Minotaurs Chapter may be the same, even if it doesn't outright confirm it).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Ogre in the Playground

Nvm, thought I clicked the crunch thread.
    Last edited by Brookshw; 2019-05-16 at 07:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

27. - Top - End - #1437

SolithKnightGuy

New video is up, Enjoy!

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Titan in the Playground

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ettin in the Playground

Truly, today is the day of many gifts, for another Astartes is up too
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

30. - Top - End - #1440

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Truly, today is the day of many gifts, for another Astartes is up too
    I had just gotten up, what a way to start a day! :D
    Last edited by Platinius; 2019-06-13 at 12:58 AM.