The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed
The Order of the Stick: Utterly Dwarfed - Coming in December and available for pre-order now
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    So you think they used the wrong word?
    I think 'Dread' is being used a noun. Not as an adjective. So the word is fine. If it was being used as an adjective, the more correct word would be 'dreadful'.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-06-28 at 11:31 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Brookshw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I think 'Dread' is being used a noun. Not as an adjective. So the word is fine. If it was being used as an adjective, the more correct word would be 'dreadful'.
    Dread actually works as an adjective or so the Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries tell me (plus when the phrase is "dread Necrons" it certainly appears that dread is modifying Necrons as adjectives do). Even as a noun we're still stuck with the repetitive use of fear as part of the definition.

    Anywho, if you like the writing, okay, your prerogative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Avatar courtesy of Linklele

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Even as a noun we're still stuck with the repetitive use of fear as part of the definition.
    I'm using the exact dictionary.com page you linked to. Then I looked at synonyms, just to make sure.
    One synonym for one meaning (5; noun) of the word, is fear.
    Other synonyms for other meanings of the word (11; adjective), is dire, dreadful, and horrible.

    So, I was wrong. It isn't being used as a noun. But when used as an adjective, is it more common to not mean fear. Which is what I said at the start. Then I second guessed myself. Now I'm back to my original meaning. Turns out, words have multiple meanings depending on context. That is, Dread doesn't always mean fear. The dictionary.com reference you used even says as much.

    You can know that a thing is bad without necessarily being afraid of it.

    I dread going to work. I am definitely not afraid of going to work.

    You know Space Marines don't afraid of anything. So, with context...Maybe, just maybe, it's the other meaning of the word. Especially if it's being used as an adjective. Which it probably is.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-06-28 at 12:13 PM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Artanis's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    BFE
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Even if Astartes don't get scared, I would think they would be able to tell when something is scary to normal people, even if only so that they can better anticipate how quickly nearby Guardsmen will start getting shot by their Commisar require morale boosts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

    Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Even if Astartes don't get scared, I would think they would be able to tell when something is scary to normal people, even if only so that they can better anticipate how quickly nearby Guardsmen will start getting shot by their Commisar require morale boosts.
    It's a fairly simple test. If a marine ever has:
    i) lots of enemies to kill, or
    ii) cause to think "gee, this is going to suck"

    It's going to be scary for regular, non-gene boosted meatsacks.

    If both i) and ii), it's going to be really scary, but probably not for very long.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Brookshw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I'm using the exact dictionary.com page you linked to. Then I looked at synonyms, just to make sure.
    One synonym for one meaning (5; noun) of the word, is fear.
    Other synonyms for other meanings of the word (11; adjective), is dire, dreadful, and horrible.

    So, I was wrong. It isn't being used as a noun. But when used as an adjective, is it more common to not mean fear. Which is what I said at the start. Then I second guessed myself. Now I'm back to my original meaning. Turns out, words have multiple meanings depending on context. That is, Dread doesn't always mean fear. The dictionary.com reference you used even says as much.

    You can know that a thing is bad without necessarily being afraid of it.

    I dread going to work. I am definitely not afraid of going to work.

    You know Space Marines don't afraid of anything. So, with context...Maybe, just maybe, it's the other meaning of the word. Especially if it's being used as an adjective. Which it probably is.
    I....what? We're talking synonyms to establish the meaning of the word itself instead of the definitions? The adjective definitions of the word in dictionary.com are "greatly feared; frightful; terrible." and "held in awe or reverential fear." both of which involve fear (or maybe the SM are in awe of them? Pretty sure we can discard that meaning in the context.). Iirc Oxford's also allowed for anxiety, not sure if that's any better. There's also a humorous usage definition similar to your hypo iirc (or maybe the anxiety one), so maybe the SM are joking???

    Or.........maybe the writers who told us that the Ultramarines needed to make a new base for their chapter and recruiting don't know what they're doing, used poetic narrative that's inconsistent with SMs, and should be viciously flogged. Heck, the Ork response of calling them Tin Men (iirc) seems closer to an emotionally appropriate response that we should have see coming from a SM.

    Anyway, that's enough semantics for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Even if Astartes don't get scared, I would think they would be able to tell when something is scary to normal people, even if only so that they can better anticipate how quickly nearby Guardsmen will start getting shot by their Commisar require morale boosts.
    I'm sure they could, some chapters better than others likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Avatar courtesy of Linklele

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I....what? We're talking synonyms to establish the meaning of the word itself instead of the definitions? The adjective definitions of the word in dictionary.com are "greatly feared; frightful; terrible." and "held in awe or reverential fear." both of which involve fear (or maybe the SM are in awe of them? Pretty sure we can discard that meaning in the context.). Iirc Oxford's also allowed for anxiety, not sure if that's any better. There's also a humorous usage definition similar to your hypo iirc (or maybe the anxiety one), so maybe the SM are joking???
    Ok. What does 'wave' mean? Is it that thing that water does on the beach? Is it when humans shake their hands at each other in greeting? Is it the mathematical representation of the aforementioned water thing, or the common occurence at sporting events that looks a lot like the water thing? Obviously words are only allowed to have one meaning, so you're going to have to pick.
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

    We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Brookshw's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2013

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Ok. What does 'wave' mean? Is it that thing that water does on the beach? Is it when humans shake their hands at each other in greeting? Is it the mathematical representation of the aforementioned water thing, or the common occurence at sporting events that looks a lot like the water thing? Obviously words are only allowed to have one meaning, so you're going to have to pick.
    Try again, there's a finite set of meaning, if you aren't acting within them then you're making up your own language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Avatar courtesy of Linklele

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I....what? We're talking synonyms to establish the meaning of the word itself instead of the definitions?
    When a word has multiple meanings, and you need to pick which meaning it might be, using context...Yes.
    I learned to do that in what, Grade 6?
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Destro_Yersul's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    sector ZZ9 plural-z alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Try again, there's a finite set of meaning, if you aren't acting within them then you're making up your own language.
    So then what's wrong with 'terrible' as one of the set of meanings for the word 'dread?'
    I do LP's sometimes! I'm currently on hiatus for college purposes.

    My Youtube Channel

    The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar by Vael

    My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

    We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Ongoing

    Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Das Kapital

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Brookshw, you seem to be ignoring one key point: I can dread going to work without being afraid of it.

    "How was your day today?"
    "Dreadful, it seemed liked it'd never end."

    Why did I sleep in a few days ago? Dread Monday reared it's ugly head.

    None of these refer to fear, but all of these refer to strong apprehension. Why, exactly, can the Space Marine not be using the word in this context? You can point to all the dictionaries you like, but dictionaries merely attempt to describe a word, they don't say what the word MUST mean. The examples I gave above are more proof that the word can mean what we're saying it can than any dictionary entry. That's how language works; people use it, other people understand it. Having some dictionary write down a meaning has no place in deciding what a word means.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

    "Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus


    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground
     
    bluntpencil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Ho Chi Minh City
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Dread actually works as an adjective or so the Cambridge and Oxford dictionaries tell me (plus when the phrase is "dread Necrons" it certainly appears that dread is modifying Necrons as adjectives do). Even as a noun we're still stuck with the repetitive use of fear as part of the definition.

    Anywho, if you like the writing, okay, your prerogative.
    Hamlet; Act One, Scene Two

    Quote Originally Posted by Laertes
     My dread lord,
    Your leave and favor to return to France,
    From whence though willingly I came to Denmark
    To show my duty in your coronation,
    Yet now, I must confess, that duty done,
    My thoughts and wishes bend again toward France
    And bow them to your gracious leave and pardon.
    'Dread', in this sense is an adjective meaning 'respected', perhaps with a tinge of fear and/or awe. It is, of course, archaic, and therefore suits Adeptus Astartes, as far as linguistics go, for describing an opponent worthy of respect.

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Voidhawk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    Try again, there's a finite set of meaning, if you aren't acting within them then you're making up your own language.
    Completely incorrect. The set of possible meanings for any particular group of characters/sounds/gestures is most likely infinite, and is certainly constantly in flux. For example sarcasm and insults have such a huge influence on the evolution of language, that many words today have the exact opposite meaning to how they were used a few hundred years ago, simply because people started using them as a derogatory term. Dictionaries are Descriptive books of common uses of language, not Proscriptive guides to all possible uses.

    This comic has a short and interesting discussion on the subject, putting down several philosophers ideas in a way suitable for lay people.

    Anyway, this thread is a completely bonkers place to be having complicated philosophical discussions on the subject of language. Going back to the race-intro trailer, my questions are:
    1) Why is there an object that looks like the Eye of Night from Battlefleet Gothic on the planet?
    Spoiler: Eye of Night
    Show

    and, 2) Why is the Necron Lord talking about defeating the Old Ones? The Necrons killed them all off before they back-stabbed the C'Tan, it was the Eldar that were still a danger after the War In Heaven. Or is this just his senility, rather than that of the writers?
    Looking back on sanity from the other side, and laughing really loudly

    "In the whole of oWOD, there are only five normal people not somehow tied to the great supernatural conspiracy, and three of them were Elvis."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    If Ravenloft has taught me anything, darkness only makes the stars shine brighter.
    Bowl of Petunias avatar by Rincewind

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xenopax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidhawk View Post
    Completely incorrect. The set of possible meanings for any particular group of characters/sounds/gestures is most likely infinite, and is certainly constantly in flux. For example sarcasm and insults have such a huge influence on the evolution of language, that many words today have the exact opposite meaning to how they were used a few hundred years ago, simply because people started using them as a derogatory term. Dictionaries are Descriptive books of common uses of language, not Proscriptive guides to all possible uses.

    This comic has a short and interesting discussion on the subject, putting down several philosophers ideas in a way suitable for lay people.

    Anyway, this thread is a completely bonkers place to be having complicated philosophical discussions on the subject of language. Going back to the race-intro trailer, my questions are:
    1) Why is there an object that looks like the Eye of Night from Battlefleet Gothic on the planet?
    Spoiler: Eye of Night
    Show

    and, 2) Why is the Necron Lord talking about defeating the Old Ones? The Necrons killed them all off before they back-stabbed the C'Tan, it was the Eldar that were still a danger after the War In Heaven. Or is this just his senility, rather than that of the writers?
    1) No clue.
    2) As far as we know there are no old ones left. I don't think it was 100% proved either way that the old ones are extinct. I think somewhere in one of the Eldar pages on the wiki there was a quote on the possibility that old ones still exist. Might have been orks.
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Wraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    2) As far as we know there are no old ones left. I don't think it was 100% proved either way that the old ones are extinct. I think somewhere in one of the Eldar pages on the wiki there was a quote on the possibility that old ones still exist. Might have been orks.
    Isha and Cegorach are still around, albeit somewhat inaccessible. One might also count Khaine as being around collectively, as it were, and I'm reasonably sure there was a reference in some Codex Eldar or other that some Old Ones may have fled into the webway and sealed it off to prevent pursuit.

    Having been proverbially sharpening their axes for the last 65 million years, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine that the Necrons are so petty as to still be hung up on a war long over and consider any remnants of the Old Ones as being enough reason to burn worlds again.
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xenopax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Isha and Cegorach are still around, albeit somewhat inaccessible. One might also count Khaine as being around collectively, as it were, and I'm reasonably sure there was a reference in some Codex Eldar or other that some Old Ones may have fled into the webway and sealed it off to prevent pursuit.

    Having been proverbially sharpening their axes for the last 65 million years, it wouldn't be too hard to imagine that the Necrons are so petty as to still be hung up on a war long over and consider any remnants of the Old Ones as being enough reason to burn worlds again.
    Eldar gods were Old Ones? I thought they were Warp Gods like Nurgle and Tzeentch (Except less mutation and bad things).
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Cikomyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Montreal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Eldar gods were Old Ones? I thought they were Warp Gods like Nurgle and Tzeentch (Except less mutation and bad things).
    Why couldnt they be both? ;)

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Xenopax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Why couldnt they be both? ;)
    That would be interesting. A few of the surviving old ones decide to play with the warp some more and strengthen themselves incase the necrons come back. They turn themselves into idols of worship to the Eldar, gaining power in the warp. Two could have gone to the Orks and become Gork and Mork. (The grammer in that sentence kills me but whatever). Cue Slaanesh devouring the Eldar Gods/Old Ones. The Orks believed that Gork and Mork were the WAAGHiest Gits around and when enough orks believe it....
    Omnissiah grant me the strength to change what I can,
    the patience to accept what I cannot,
    and CHAINFISTS FOR HANDS. Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timble View Post
    when an imperial knight says it wants to stick you in a large arena in which to fight to the death, you can't exactly say no.
    My 40k Discord Server: Join Today!
    Magic the Gathering (In the Playground)
    Games that I am in

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenopax View Post
    Eldar gods were Old Ones?
    The Old Ones are the Eldar Gods and the C'Tan. There are strong hints that the C'Tan and Eldar Gods were the same race.
    Eldar and Orks were created by the same beings. Not even a 'hint' or shifty reading. It is actual canon. Both races developed to fight the Necrontyr.
    Gork is Khaine, Mork is Cegorach.

    They are not Chaos Gods, and the presence of Chaos is anathema to them.

    Ynnead appears to be a whole new breed of Eldar God, unrelated to the Old Ones, with a little too much in common to a Chaos God. But, everyone knows that the Aeldari were secretly Chaos worshipping scum and always have been.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-06-29 at 07:05 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    deuterio12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Khaine is basically an aspect of Khorne anyway. Kaela Mensha Khaine loves blood and war and stuff and its avatars have the freaking Mark of Khorne on their head just in case of doubt.

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Khaine is basically an aspect of Khorne anyway.
    [Citation Needed]
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    Khaine is basically an aspect of Khorne anyway. Kaela Mensha Khaine loves blood and war and stuff and its avatars have the freaking Mark of Khorne on their head just in case of doubt.
    Are they related? Possibly. Are they the same? No, thats pretty much spelled out for us. On top of this Khaine is more calm than Khorne (not that that's saying much) and really does care about honor more so than Khorne does on the average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    deuterio12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark


  24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    The part you're quoting is WHFB fluff. Which, not only not being 40K fluff, is also not even valid anymore in its own universe.
    Try again.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    deuterio12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    By all means, you at least try once with a citation for Gork being Khorne.

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    By all means, you at least try once with a citation for Gork being Khorne.
    That's exactly what I didn't say. Try again.

    Eldar and (Kr)Orks were created by the same beings to fight Necrons. Codex: Necrons (3rd Ed.); Codex: Orks (4th Ed.).
    Gork is almost definitely Khaine. Stated by a Necron. Xenology (2006).
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2018-06-29 at 09:47 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    By all means, you at least try once with a citation for Gork being Khorne.
    When did he say that he was???

    Gork is Khaine, Mork is Cegorach.
    I guess maybe if you're going off equivalency and saying Khaine = Khorne? So are you asking him to prove a point that you suggested? That he just disproved?
    - Avatar by LCP -

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Cheesegear's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    I dread discussions with deuterio.

    ...Nailed it.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    deuterio12's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I guess maybe if you're going off equivalency and saying Khaine = Khorne? So are you asking him to prove a point that you suggested? That he just disproved?
    He didn't disprove anything, only outright ignored most of my point (god of war and violence with a severe case of bloodletting and almost identical names if not for two letters), then somehow claimed that just because something happened in the past it is no longer valid.

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Fluff Discussion XV: You Must Be THIS Tall To Witness The Grimdark

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I dread discussions with deuterio.

    ...Nailed it.
    D: Khaine is Khorne
    C: Prove it.
    D: (link). Also, prove Gork is Khorne
    C: That link is for a different canon.
    D: Yeah, well, prove Gork is Khorne.
    C: I never said that.
    D: Just because it's a different canon, doesn't mean it's not true!

    It's genuinely the worst-faith arguing I've ever seen, and god knows we see enough round here. INB4: "Strawman"
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2018-06-29 at 10:01 AM.
    - Avatar by LCP -

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •