New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Why does having a Mount make it harder to attract cohorts?

In 3.5, the Leadership feat specifies under the "Attracting Cohorts" Table that having 'a familiar, special mount, or animal companion' incurs a -2 penalty to the PC's effective Leadership score when trying to attract a cohort.

Why is this? I understand mechanically that it may have something to do with a familiar, mount, or companion equating to a cohort in itself, and this mechanic may merely be an attempt to prevent characters from becoming OP and having too many cohorts. But is there any explanation from a roleplaying perspective as to why having a mount would make cohorts less willing to join you?

Confused on this. All the other modifiers seem to be pretty self explanatory and make sense, but I can't wrap my head around this one.
    ...And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by, from this day until the ending of the world, but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother, be he ne'er so vile this day shall gentle his condition. And gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap, whiles any speaks that fought with us upon St. Crispin's Day!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Why does having a Mount make it harder to attract cohorts?

Potential Cohorts get super duper jealous of the special connection you have with your pet and are more difficult to attract.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"You treat your horse better than you treat me!"
    "This horse is a gift from my god. Literally."
    "It's still a damn horse!"
    I follow a general rule: better to ask and be told no than not to ask at all.

Shadeblight by KennyPyro

4. - Top - End - #4

BlackDragon

"He spends all that dang time brushing that horses coat. He never brushes my coat."
    "You're a bald goblin!"
    "So?"
    I am:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You ask that as if you were planning to sweep the stable yourself.

And if that doesn't seem like an issue to you, recall that cleaning out a stable was one of the labours of Hercules.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Horses are smelly.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It exists entirely for mechanical reasons. If you have more sidekicks, you should have weaker sidekicks. Thus, a penalty to your sidekick's strength if you already have a sidekick (especially since those other sidekicks are normally weaker than cohorts).

8. - Top - End - #8

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Why does having a Mount make it harder to attract cohorts?

You are more mobile. Less time to establish your base of loyalty. You have a specific interest in an expensive hobby.

You have a horse your cohort has to have a horse just to keep up. A cohort does not like horses like my father scared of them. Everything else matches up , but I am scared of horse. I never took skill points in ride he will laugh at me for wanting to sign up with him.

I have gold I am better than a cohort he should be my cohort.

Now I would not give a penalty if you say rode a cow as you mount. I may give a bonus for the milk you could supply. Well at least I would be able to get something to drink. I was a peasant and good food was scarce growing up
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hard for a cohort to keep up with your mounted speed.
    "You want to see how a Human dies? at ramming speed."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you think that #2, 3 or 4 are joking, you are wrong.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

A familiar, a special mount, or an animal companion are more than just some dog you happen to have, or a horse that you ride from Point A to Point B. They are one of your closest relationships, your friend, your faithful companion you've been with through thick and thin, and a dear ally. You spend a lot of time with them (most of this happens as off-screen assumed roleplaying in a normal game).

Your cohort is also not 'some guy who brushes your horse'. He's your dear follower, a close friend, somebody who has devoted their life to your example. You presumably also spend a lot of time with them off-screen.

The penalty is supposed to reflect the relative difficultly of having 'two best friends' travelling with you all the time.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian itP View Post
    If you think that #2, 3 or 4 are joking, you are wrong.
    I can't speak for either Keledrath or The Shadowmind, but I most definitely wasn't.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    It exists entirely for mechanical reasons. If you have more sidekicks, you should have weaker sidekicks. Thus, a penalty to your sidekick's strength if you already have a sidekick (especially since those other sidekicks are normally weaker than cohorts).
    It also *helps*, to some extent, in preventing one person's cohorts et al from hogging combat time. If a character has a mount and a cohort and so on, they eat up an unfair share of combat time, even if they're at least nominally balanced.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Because they're -weird-.

The PC-centric view of players and forum-goers tends to have you forget that -all- PC class characters make up less than 10% of people in the game world and the classes that have those companion features are amongst the rarest of those. While the paladin being a shining beacon of light in a dark world may be comforting for the common folk, his zeal and fearlessness can be a bit off-putting.

The supernaturally enhanced horse that's plainly at least as intelligent as some of the weaker minded monstrous races (or even stranger creature) being that much more disturbing isn't hard to understand.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign